PDA

View Full Version : The I Just Saw Thread

Drago
6th June 2011, 06:27 AM
Originally a thread by Magmar from January '06 (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12615)

Like Maggy said, we have a 'what are you listening to' thread, so how's about a 'whatchu watchin' thread to go with it. If you want to more thoroughly discuss a show or movie, feel free to make your own thread for it, but for condensed, bite-sized bits, here's the place!

I watched The Hangover part 2 a few days ago. Overall, my opinion is mixed. I mean sure, I enjoyed it, but I was just left feeling like they didn't tread any new ground whatsoever. It really was just the first one all over again in a new setting. And that was one of the things I loved about the first one, the premise and the humour was fresh and exciting.

But Due Date treaded eerily similar ground for an unrelated film, and now we have a full-blown, unadventurous sequel. What I will say is that this one is a whole lot cruder than the first, and the humour is fairly hit or miss.

Definitely a watchable movie, but nowhere near as good as the original.

mattbcl
6th June 2011, 06:52 AM
I went to see X-Men: The First Class yesterday. The key thing one has to remember for this flick is if you read the comics, FORGET THEM. They'll only take you so far here. And as for relation to the other movies? Ignore reviews you may have heard suggesting this is a prequel - it's far too contradictory. Instead, look at it as an AU version of how the X-Men got started. If you're able to do that, then you're going to have fun and you'll enjoy seeing how the friendship between Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr flourished.

Instead of trying to break new ground, they did some remodeling on older grounds - X-Men has never been about extraordinary powers and beating up the bad guys, but about how radically different personal histories (success, tragedy, and everywhere in between) inevitably creates differing ideologies on how to both act and react, and how that interferes with... well, just about everything the world has to offer. Those ideologies were already stratified in the other films but we never got to see how the characters arrived at those places in their heads when something was absolutely right or absolutely wrong. This gives us a much better glimpse into that world. Altogether, a very good film, a very good story.

I'm not sure I would buy it on DVD, though, because I'm one of those aforementioned comic nerds. Once I came out of the theater, I couldn't help but compare what I saw to what I already know of the comic universe (not like THAT place isn't already rife with discontinuity and plot holes galore, I know).

Mikachu Yukitatsu
6th June 2011, 09:18 AM
I watched the new Star Trek day before yesterday with some mates. I liked it.

What's intriguing, I was the only one of my friends who could sleep well the following night. I had a lovely dream about a girl, totally unrelated to Star Trek.

Blademaster
6th June 2011, 05:21 PM
The last movie I saw was Battle: Los Angeles. I saw it for free due to a ticket special around here.

When it was over, I asked for a refund. :mad2:

mattbcl
6th June 2011, 05:56 PM
I haven't been here long enough to know when you're being sarcastic or not, Blade - the previews looked awful to me. Was it really that bad?

Becky
6th June 2011, 06:22 PM
Brian and I went to see the latest Pirates installment. We both liked it much better than the last two entries in the series, although the first is still, in my opinion, the best!

We also saw Bridesmaids, but neither of us liked it very much. For me, the humor mussed the mark.

classy_cat18
6th June 2011, 06:27 PM
Kung Fu Panda 2, last weekend. It was awesome. I really loved the animation they did on the peacock villain, and the fight scenes were epic.

Blademaster
6th June 2011, 06:39 PM
I haven't been here long enough to know when you're being sarcastic or not, Blade - the previews looked awful to me. Was it really that bad?

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyep.

Oslo
6th June 2011, 06:42 PM
The last movie I saw in theatres was, uhh...

Something Burrowed. :(

I'll show myself out.

Katie
6th June 2011, 07:09 PM
I've been on a movie kick lately, I have seen:

Bridesmaids: I thought it was really funny, I loved that you can both sympathize with and laugh at the main chick. the gross scene (I won't spoil but if you've seen it you know it) just sprinted past the line for me, maybe I was in a bad mood but ugh.

Pirates: Loved it! Better than the 3rd, would probably tie it with the 2nd.

X-Men: I really liked it, though I never really realized how much backstory cult-followed comics and books really have. So I liked the flow of it, and Holocaust symbolism and all that. I had only seen one other X-Men movie on TV (the one with the mutant who makes other mutants not-mutant? can't remember which one that was) and I confirm that it stands alone for anyone who hasn't seen the others. But I liked First Class so much I watched the first X-Men movie on Netflix, and have a recording of X-2 sitting in the DVR waiting for tonight, hopefully it's not the same one that I've already seen.

Kung Fu Panda is next on my list. Luckily the boyfriend hasn't vetoed the idea (yet?) :

E: I want to see Bad Teacher SO. FUCKING. BAD. it comes out on my half birthday! Same as Cars 2! And I of course have to see Harry Potter, midnight release, no excuses! Cowboys & Aliens is a must, for the haha-what-the-fuck factor. ...I need a non-movie-seeing hobby.

Edit later because I killed the thread: I saw Kung Fu Panda today! I liked it! And I forgot to mention when I originally posted this I also saw Thor! Loved it! Exclamation point!