PDA

View Full Version : Recommend an obscure musician/band

Drago
6th June 2011, 06:56 AM
I always enjoy broadening my musical tastes, and I especially like discovering something after not knowing about it for its 30 years of existence.

Are there any musicians you quite like who aren't really in the public eye, or were just forgotten as the years go on?

I'll start with Inner Circle, creators of possibly my favourite reggae album from the 90s. You might not know them by name, but you'll definitely know their most famous track: Bad Boys, the theme from Cops. They formed in the late 60s, and apparently are still together these days.

Because they sang Bad Boys, they're not that obscure, but some of their tracks from '92's Bad to the Bone album, in my opinion, far surpass that more prolific track. My favourite by far: Sweat. Just don't ask me what the lyrics mean. Sounds a bit suss to me.
p0M4J849dmA

Another artist I only discovered last week, so I can't say for sure whether or not he actually is obscure, is Wim Mertens. His piece 'Close Cover' is just so beautiful and tragic. I think it'd be a real tear-jerker at funerals, and if you likes you some beautiful piano, you should love this.
cPdVhjXHdfE

Anyhow, I'm sure you can get more obscure than that. Unleash the boogie!

Magmar
6th June 2011, 07:04 AM
Everything I listen to is obscure.

*puts itunes on shuffle*
Allister - Matchsticks
Face to Face - Disappointed
Silverstein - Nipple on the Floor XD YES

And for an actual recommendation, I'll make a few to individual folks.

ChobiChibi: zeMJLywSL04
Oslo: X8UR2TFUp8w
Kurai: ml7C-WfL8f8
Shazza: eQA5azn201I Idk why this was the first song that came to mind!
DragoKnight: 7MuJZpVTtAg
Mikachu: LwrQXI4_mgo
firepokemon: 3BxfpbyV-uc
Heald: hHNivx2RRFM off my favorite album from high school.
RedStarWarrior: HwgNMrs-i80
And finally

Blademaster & houndoom lover:
s6mFlsYTmkQ

nsmbwii
6th June 2011, 07:09 AM
I'm not sure if Daft Punk or Voltaire count as obscure really. I mean like, Daft Punk did the entire soundrack of Tron: Legacy, and I think Voltaire did 2 songs in that old Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy show. I think it had something to do with the underworld and brains. Or both...

Oslo
6th June 2011, 07:14 AM
I thrive off obscure music. (Insert requisite hipster denial here.)

This song comes from a Quebecois band I fell in love with in high school.

xEwF8LuxT1M

MeLoVeGhOsTs
6th June 2011, 08:45 AM
Wim mertens is a belgian artist btw. A flemish one to be exact. Random info.

I'm going to throw on a couple of records later, but I don't think that there are to many fans here.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
6th June 2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the recommendation, Magmar! I don't know if I quite got what the song meant, except these lines:

And I say well I'm lucky, cause I am like East Berlin
I had this wall and what I knew of the free world
Was that I could see their fireworks
And I could hear their radio

Which I almost understood.

ChobiChibi
6th June 2011, 12:54 PM
:D I really like that song, Magmar! Also loving the robot. It's just the kind of quirky songs I like to listen to from time to time. Also, love OK GO so much. "Here it goes again" was epic, loved the video. And Nth Degree cracks me up, brings back good memories XD

Now to share some of mine!

B_CVu-fkIOU

P0vgZPd0Bsg

DeanO_skl1s

F8vQL15Ql7g

p5AGidVnWk8

That'll do for now >_>

Blademaster
6th June 2011, 05:27 PM
ITT: Hipsters.

shazza
7th June 2011, 09:15 AM
Haha, nice song Barry. I have no idea how it reminded you of me though?

So, I listen to a shit load of different genres, so I'll just post some clips of some of the stuff I've been listening to the past month. Past week in a bit of a 60's psychedelic phase (once again). I shall go through the music posted here ASAP!

60's Folk. Donovan was renowned for psychedelic as well as folk.
ihd2aKEUeac

Big Jims Sullivan goes under the alias as Lord Sitar and does covers of songs with the sitar in the 60's. This is my favourite: a cover of I Am The Walrus.
4mM6CdBeqZY

Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera. Psychedelic as fuck. Whole album is fucking sick.
8kOjU_1xKwE

Wu Tang Vs The Beatles. This samples 'You Never Give Me Your Money'. It has made me realise after a few failed previous attempts the attraction to true hip hop.
unoekCJr6MU

Psybient.
Z_8G0zHMuwg

An indie/Triple J band I have been a fan of since January. Getting more popular. This song reminds me of my first week of work.
2SZGW-6AF3A

Electronic shit.
aFHXETBq13s

Sorry for something mainstream, but I like Lady Gaga. This song is one of my newest workout songs.
wagn8Wrmzuc

And finally I'll throw in my current favourite hardstyle, dubstep and metal song. I want to become a polymath of music. Master every genre.

Dubstep.

wgVaevg_1Zg

Hardstyle.
meIqGpymP9o

Metal.
Gv7fo6mefo

And a bonus song: my dad's band from the 70's with a video clip I uploaded. :)
QiHEtargRXQ

Bear
7th June 2011, 08:47 PM
JRXRRlICvgo

Oslo
8th June 2011, 01:22 AM
This and that, but all of it so good:

opgFrKAUxwo

TJlY2QThjoA

PDbfnD8RThc

pE5Kjgm0Fbs

MYwCfifHQcI

X9MesV1Oty0

zkBMpngSy3Y

Magmar
8th June 2011, 06:34 AM
RA! Omg! I remember them! Loved that song!
And @ Chobi YESSS to MxPx, better than ezra, Ted Leo, all stuff I shamelessly adore haha.

Random feel good songs:
uKj2Uqj13kk
even has a mario theme to this random vid XD
WopOSgbweSU
7B-mBqG1HCA one of my favorite songs ever :)
to2kOqUMh90
dEfD__kxXE0
D9pQqF_qhNM
9meB0kADzJw

Cynder
8th June 2011, 01:49 PM
VERSAEMERGE FOREVER BITCHES!

Ehem. Check them out, they're awesome! I'd post a video, but I don't know how... Check them out on Youtube, some good songs to try are Clocks, Mythology and Stranger. They are officially my favourite band ever! <3

Heald
8th June 2011, 02:49 PM
Ugh, I've been out of the music loop for far too long. Damn you employment, and damn you Spotify for forcing me to quit you because you decided money was more important than your fucking fans who are the only fucking reason you are even still in existence anyway.

So, I don't know whether stuff that was obscure 2 years ago is mainstream, or vice versa, but I will recommend RICHARD CHEESE:

Mr7EBuz-2xI

Basically, Richard Cheese does lounge/swing covers of pop, rap, hip-hop, rock and metal songs. They're pretty damn awesome, so listen to them. NAO.

papabopp
10th June 2011, 01:58 PM
YES! I listine to celldweller too Chobi and Frozen is my favorite song of his.
I also listen to Richard Cheese, who is a badass, so I will vouch for Heald when he says that Richard Cheese is badass
Bloodhound gang- Three point one four http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuOLB_fEo2M
Imogen Heap- hide and seek http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYIAfiVGluk

Greyfox
10th June 2011, 02:33 PM
This sonofabitch right here:

oGOjoeRq9Ik

ChobiChibi
10th June 2011, 06:44 PM
fTLgrAc-6xU
I hope Bloc Party counts. Helicopter is also awesome :D

Heald, I LOVE that cover of Welcome to the Jungle XD Must find more...

Leon-IH
16th June 2011, 11:16 AM
NoMeansNo - One of my favourite bands, they play a kind of bizarre hard punk style, they've been around since the 80s and remain active (and still good) today.
0baJWldz4o0

No Fun At All - Another punk band though completely different (seriously sounds like a different genre) and a lot less bizarre.
yFvJ32-Nd0w

mattbcl
16th June 2011, 06:29 PM
I vouch for Heald and papabopp when they say that Richard Cheese is a badass. Hearing his lounge version of "Down With the Sickness" and "Chop Suey" make me cry laughing.

And it could be that everybody's heard of them and I'm just late to the party, but I also fall down laughing at most songs by Psychostick.

Deadwood_Zen
16th June 2011, 07:33 PM
Ugh, most of what I listen to isn't "mainstream". I don't even know what you guys consider "obscure". My Facebook posts a least a vid every other day, if that counts? xP

Telume
16th June 2011, 10:41 PM
BeOJDgAu4LE

Blademaster
17th June 2011, 01:58 PM
Pendulum is obscure?

Shit, list their entire discography for me then.

Deadwood_Zen
18th June 2011, 03:14 AM
HkeBqGWw4Ew
Guys from Dog Fashion Disco after they broke up.

(first embeded video! :DD )

Oslo
20th June 2011, 01:39 PM
PtWhB1JgZGc

Love, love, love this song...

MeLoVeGhOsTs
20th June 2011, 03:58 PM
Rap. Real rap:

0dRgYd5Mxs0

My kind of music, sure I can get it's not your taste. He's a great writer, though and the music is really layered and well constructed. Most people don't get past the yelling, though:

J5UiE_MWm2k

Not sure if you've heard of them before, but they are awesome and pure genius. Not sure if it's obscure enough, though, but you need to listen anyway:D

l-qgum7hFXk

Oh and if you're into heavy stuff. It's really technical, but I love it:

yQERhe9aAFc

Deadwood_Zen
20th June 2011, 04:24 PM
MTz-2GvAIYg
Saw this on LinkTV's world music bit. Hungarian upbeat/folk-punk/awesomeness. Love their guitarist.

cegdR0GiJl4
You want rap? ;]

sB6y2KhVTUg
Indie group the Calgary college indie scene going on. LOVE THEM!!!