PDA

View Full Version : Worst Computer/Console problems you've seen/experienced?

Metallixs Girl
18th June 2011, 04:30 PM
Hey guys, I was going to reinstall Windows on my brother's old Dell desktop and I wanted to try the ctrl+F11 combo that is used on newer dells as a recovery option. Well the PC I tried it on was too old for that, and RIGHT as I pressed those keys...the Hard Drive died. The PC froze as it was loading something (I guess Windows XP) and I think I turned it off and back on and it basically said it needed something to boot from, made these weird noises and the BIOS doesn't see the Hard drive anymore. Someone on the Dell Forums said the Hard Drive is dead and that the keypress didn't do it.

I've never had a hard drive die on me, but the weird part is that it was fine and a second later it happened right as I did a key combo.

Another thing is on an older PC than that, I was the only one home when a Packard Bell monitor just started smoking. I was in the room, but I wasn't using the computer. There was no fire, it just filled the room up with smoke. We never used any PB Product after that.

Do y'all have any Electronic problem stories to share?

Blademaster
18th June 2011, 08:55 PM
THIS.

FUCKING.

LAPTOP.

I GUESS I can't complain considering it's got Norton 2009 prepackaged, meaning it's at least 1 and a half years old, but for $600 I'd kinda like for my machinery to not die on me whenever it feels like it.

Yes, from a computer standpoint, a $600 crappy laptop lasting almost 2 years after being used roughly 6 hours a day including as a mid- to high-end PC may seem impressive, or at least not worth complaining over...

On the other hand, I got a $180 Nintendo DS for high school graduation. It is SEVEN years old and works as well as the day I got it sans scuffed/worn paint and a broken-ish L button. Explain this bullshit, Windows.

classy_cat18
18th June 2011, 09:31 PM
On the other hand, I got a $180 Nintendo DS for high school graduation. It is SEVEN years old and works as well as the day I got it sans scuffed/worn paint and a broken-ish L button. Explain this bullshit, Windows.

It's made of Nintendium. They have proven that Nintendo's products can withstand a bomb raid. The L button must be the weak spot because the one on my DSi doesn't work either.

Our first computer. It was a cheap eMachines that had Windows ME on it. And the Internet connection was a dial-up Compuserve.

...That's all I need to say.

Jeff
18th June 2011, 09:46 PM
I've had a close scare with my current laptop. I was having issues with it one day, and almost thought my hard drive was crashing.

Our Wii has had a couple issues. The first time was a dirty drive due to it sitting on the floor. The second problem was a Black Screen of Death, probably caused by the motherboard going up. We lost all data, including all the Pokemon on Ranch. Luckily, all my event legendaries were on my Diamond Version.

Metallixs Girl
18th June 2011, 09:54 PM
Oh, mentioning your L button reminded me of my Sega Genesis. Now I can't remember if it was the Controller or the machine itself with the problem, but when I was 6 or 7, I had a Genesis and one day everything got pulled to the left like a magnet. Sonic would slide to the left and moving him was like fighting a current. I think that happened on every game. We sent it off, but I can't remember if it got fixed or not. I think we got it back and it was still broken but I have no idea. Now THAT was freaky.

Drago
18th June 2011, 09:58 PM
I've had the drive crash before, too. (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16824)

That was a solid decade of everything I had ever done on the computer, gone. I'd say that was pretty much the worst PC problem I've ever experienced. Occasional viruses have blocked the Internet, but I've dealt with them all so far.

On the console front... Hmm, my consoles have proven a lot more reliable. About the most annoying thing is that my Xbox 360 controllers tend to just turn off as though their batteries have run flat, despite being full. It's more of a nuisance than anything else.

Minor thing, but the memory card on my Gamecube wiped all of my Crystal Chronicles save files, wiping off the months of time, effort and money my friends and I had put into that stupid game.

Metallixs Girl
18th June 2011, 10:21 PM
I found this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd8KwJ2q50g) in that thread Drago. That is the sound I heard.

Shadow Wolf
18th June 2011, 10:47 PM
Blade: rotflol *stands up* goood one mate. Kudos for Nintendo (I still have my Gabe Boy Advance somewhere in the houes. Yes the first edition of the Game Boy Advance, not the SP, not the mini, the original)

Drago: A friend of mine had the same problem. We discovered that its the case the holds the batteries. It somehow becomes a little loose, and when playing with emotion (moving the controller bluntly), it turns off. I believe he used a piece of paper or something thin to somehow hold it in place. Try doing something similar to see if it works.

As for me, well, the problem that I remember having was this weird madcatz dreamcast controller that seemed to cast a death sentence on every dreamcast it touched (including mine and some people who borrowed the controller, a total of five dreamcast went to the graveyard after using that red controller of doom)

Not much after that... oh, and the Nintendo 64 controller Joystick, which became a pain once used. (ah, the blisters left after playing Mario Party's Pedal Power mini-game...)

abunaidesu
19th June 2011, 12:07 AM
I used to have a Dell laptop and it was the slowest piece of shit. On the contrary, every other computer I've had, whether pre-made or self built, has never been undependable.

My old classic Gameboy still works flawlessly as well. :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/32/Gameboy.jpg/220px-Gameboy.jpg

Telume
19th June 2011, 06:08 AM
I've only ever had a problem with my Sega Genesis and the only reason that is is because it was in storage for so long that it actually died :(

May it rest in peace.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
19th June 2011, 06:15 AM
My first Playstation Memory Card was unable to store Final Fantasy VII. It said 'The file is ruined' and the save game file was colored white.

Definitely the most expensive loss was my 700€ Playstation 3. The power had been on or off for too long. I had to buy a new one.

mattbcl
19th June 2011, 06:26 AM
My old Acer laptop. I won't go into detail over just how many problems it had, or the spectrum of difficulty (which would put x-rays and radio waves to shame), but I will say I've learned from my mistake of purchasing that P.O.S., I've spent many hours in meditation and prayer, apologized to my family and friends, and sworn an oath to do better.

Cynder
19th June 2011, 08:47 AM
If you want a lasting console, DO NOT GET A PSP. I swear to god the thing has given me the most trouble I ever had with anything! I first got it and it wouldn't turn on. Returned it, got a brand new one, and it was fine for a while. Then a few weeks later it wouldn't turn on again, or rather it would, but the screen wouldn't come on. So I took it back and got yet another, but then I got bored of it and gave it to my brother. He had the exact same problem as me with the screen not working, and niether of us had dropped it or anything. So in the end we just traded it in and chose never to get another PSP. The end. :P

Magmar
19th June 2011, 09:54 AM
My old Dell Inspiron shit the bed pretty quickly. I don't know how I managed to fuck it up, but I wasn't even able to play GBA roms on it after a while without it overheating. Stupid machine >:o

Blademaster
19th June 2011, 06:06 PM
Weird, my DELL Inspiron lasted like 4 years before it died.

Also, my Gamecube memory card erased my Melee save a few years ago. I lost like 200 trophies, mang. :(

Drago
19th June 2011, 06:48 PM
For some reason, I'm going to feel worse when I lose my many KOs in Melee.

firepokemon
19th June 2011, 07:32 PM
Game consoles should work for years. You can still find plenty of Nes and Snes machines not to mention Sega Master Systems and the like. Same with gameboys. Plenty of those around. Hell you can also get those silly 64 games in 1 systems rather easily.

Computers only break cause you don't look after them.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
20th June 2011, 10:58 AM
My worst experience was with an Apple Macintosh at school back in 1996. I was shutting the darn thing down and pulled the floppy disk out of its drive. Pulling the floppy made the Mac freeze. When trying to reboot it it still wouldn't work - still frozen. Tried again, same effect. School had to get a new Mac.