PDA

View Full Version : So, uh... hello again.

mr_pikachu
19th June 2011, 01:32 AM
Hey, everyone. I suppose it’s really been way, way too long, hasn’t it? Yeah... I'm sorry about that.

I know some people have been asking questions, and I expect I’ll be doing a lot of answering in the next few days, whether in this thread, elsewhere on the boards, or by PM/IM. Maybe, though, it would help if I briefly summarized a few things about my time away, just as a first step. If it seems a little scattered (and if I’m forgetting some details, as I’m apt to do), that’s probably because I’m writing this all at once, and I’ve slept for two of the last 36 hours. Yes, that’s still happening. Some things never change.

The last year has been, bar none, the most hectic, frantic year of my life. There have been moments of fantastic joy and long stretches of anguish, encapsulated in a giant bubble of all-nighters and exhaustion. Most disappointing to me, though, is the fact that I wasn’t able to be here when all of this was happening, not only because I wanted (and still want) to share these things with my fellow TPMers, but also just because any length of time when you can’t be active here is distressing.

Anyway. As a number of you’ve have likely heard from a few earlier posts, I’ve been dating a beautiful girl named Becky since February 2009. She and I met at an event held a few years ago by our graduate department in our university, and we’ve been inseparable ever since. (Well, technically we saw each other before then, but since I’d rather save the happier reminiscing for another post, that’s a story for another day. Let’s just call it “love at first conversation,” if not “love at first sight.”)

Permit me just a moment to say that Becky is one of the kindest, most thoughtful people I’ve ever met; she’s incredibly smart and ambitious with all her work; and she knows how to have a good time when she steps away from it all. I don’t know what I did to deserve it, but as a few of my friends put it, somehow I ended up with “the smart, hot gamer girl.” (I’m living the dream!) I think several of those guys started considering graduate school as a direct result of Becky’s emergence. It’s just too bad for them that this girl is one-of-a-kind, and that she’s already taken: on May 20, 2010, Becky and I got engaged to be married. (Another story for another time.)

Normally I’d give you some further exposition about how fantastic my bride-to-be is, but I suppose that’s probably unnecessary since you’re already getting to know her yourselves. In any case, you can probably tell just from talking with Becky that I am a very, very lucky guy.

Don’t blame her for my absence, though. I’m not sure how much she told you – it’s going to take me some time for me to read through everything that everyone has posted – but my last year of graduate work has been nothing short of catastrophic. Had I known what was going to happen, I would have given better warning to all of you and explained it sooner, but by the time I realized just how crazy things would become, I was already so deep into it that I barely had time for sleep.

---Be forewarned: A long explanation of academia, my university, and my specific research follows, solely because it’s difficult to understand exactly how everything snowballed out of control without a bit of background information. (It’s heavily abridged, but it’s still long.) If you don’t care to know why I’ve been so busy, just skip to the bottom.---

Basically, I started working toward my Master’s degree in 2008, and was supposed to finish in 2010. This is oversimplifying, but that essentially meant I had to take a bunch of classes and subsequently write a thesis – a long, comprehensive research paper – within two years. The plan was to finish by the end of April 2010, by which point I hoped to be accepted into the Ph.D. program and continue my studies for four more years before receiving the doctorate. Keep in mind, too, that while some people take a little longer than that benchmark to finish their thesis, our department typically has a standard that if you take more than one extra year to complete your degree (so, three total years for the Master’s), you’re out of the program. As such, the absolute deadline for completing my thesis was April 2011.

My thesis, speaking of which, was specifically designed to be an absolute beast. When I proposed it, several members of my committee (i.e., thesis judges) said it was more like a much-more-intensive doctoral dissertation than a mere Master’s thesis, but I told them I really wanted to do something meaningful, and that this was the best way to do it. They told me I was taking on a lot, but they applauded the ambition, reckless though it may have been.

I’ll spare you the technical explanations for now, but my thesis was basically a statistical analysis of online user behavior based on a massive block of data that I and a few colleagues received from an outside source. By mid-2009, when I first proposed and started working on the thesis, my colleagues had already transformed that text file into a database that could be analyzed for their own, related research projects. I just had to learn the system and craft my own analyses based on what I wanted to uncover. It’s a good thing I’d done some programming in the past (thank you, Pokemon Hangman Randomizer!), or I wouldn’t have had a prayer.

After several months of rigorous training and writing those custom analysis programs, my colleagues permitted me full, unrestricted access to the master files and the supercomputer on which we were analyzing them. At that point, they also made me the main go-between for the programmers and the social scientists working on related projects, since I was the only person among them who understood both fields.

That’s how 2010 began. Unfortunately, that was also when all hell broke loose, so to speak. As I started looking over the data to make sure that my programs would work beyond the sample data snippets on which I tested them, I started noticing some abnormalities in the structure. To make a long story very short, around 30-40% of the data was randomly missing from the file we received, which made the particular analyses we were doing impossible. Goodbye thesis. (Worse yet, I became suspicious of this problem around March, and it took about two additional months for me to successfully demonstrate that there was, indeed, substantial missing data.)

This was a major problem. Remember, based on the above timeline I should have been done with my Master’s program in April 2010. Instead, as I stood at the finish line, I found out that I had spent a year working with completely broken data. It’s like trying to compete in a marathon but finding out afterward that you accidentally ran the 26 miles on the wrong day.

Last summer, the source who gave us our original, somewhat buggy data set provided a new version for us to use instead. Unfortunately, all of the formatting was completely different than it was in the original text file, and we were unable to find any documentation. My colleagues were all consumed by other projects, so although they created the first database based on the original file, this time I had to singlehandedly deduce the structure of a new text file that was almost 70 GB in size (yes, gigabytes in a single .txt file). In other words, I spent several months 1) poring over several pages of text at a time (that’s how long each data line was) to try to learn the data structure without the benefit of a key, 2) teaching myself a series of programming techniques to cope with the unfamiliar task, 3) writing a brand-new, made-from-scratch program to churn through the data and automatically make it into a new database, and 4) running that program over and over again, with slight alterations each time to try to fix unpredictable problems each time some quirk in the data caused a crash and broke all of my progress. (Over the course of the ordeal I learned to hate commas and their error-inducing ways.)

Those four tasks occupied all my free time from June 2010 through February 2011. Finally, once the new database was done, I got my first organized glimpse at the data as I prepared to run the analysis programs I wrote in spring 2010. Lo and behold, exactly 50% of the data set – one of the two giant behavior categories we were hoping to analyze for similarities, differences, and most importantly interactions – was absent. I learned this wo months before my absolute, no-going-back, final deadline of April 2011.

After a bit of panicking, I rewrote the programs and a large portion of my thesis (which was about 40 pages of background, rationale, analyses, and results) to redefine the entire scope of what I was analyzing. My final thesis was drastically curtailed from the monumental work I had originally set out to create. After two years of working on this project, I finished with just one day to spare, and beating the deadline only happened by the graces of administrators who bent the rules and expedited the bureaucratic process on my behalf. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least five separate ways in which, in the last two weeks alone, I could have failed to complete my thesis in time and, thus, failed to earn my Master’s degree.

Why, oh why didn’t I propose something easy for my thesis project?

I’m still dealing with some of the aftermath of taking that extra year. For instance, until a couple of days ago, I wasn’t permitted to register for classes because some university branches hadn’t yet confirmed that my thesis was, in fact, completed. I also still have to justify to friends and colleagues, on a fairly regular basis, why this somewhat shortened thesis took an extra year to finish. Still, those little issues are trifles by comparison.

---End overly-long academia explanation.---

If you want a better understanding of my daily schedule during all this, here’s a quick stat. From August 2010 through April 2011 – and I started keeping track of my own sleep habits to be sure – I averaged a measly 3-4 hours of sleep a night. I know that for many years I’ve said sleep is for the weak, but I have to tell you, those months were really devastating. I got sick with something in August or September and never went to the doctor because I couldn’t make the time for an appointment and couldn’t risk being drugged on medication while desperately working to complete this project. Consequently, I’m still recovering from that illness now. (It was just some random virus, but it’s been plaguing me for close to a year because of the lack of treatment.) I didn’t even get a haircut for months on end because I couldn’t justify getting a 20-minute trim when those 20 minutes could be used for shut-eye. I spent literally all my time teaching classes, taking classes, doing homework assignments, programming and testing those programs (this, in particular, went for hours on end), completing other research obligations to which I was already committed, eating, and sleeping. All of those items usually overlapped with one another (yes, I’m fairly certain I solved a few programming problems in my sleep)… multitasking to the extreme.

Life has done considerably less to destroy my health and overall wellbeing since April, thankfully. Becky and I spent most of May travelling about and looking at potential wedding venues, and toward the end of the month we selected our venue, the ceremony date, and the reception caterer. (We meant to take care of those details in December, but as you probably guessed from the above text, that didn’t happen.)

Since then, we’ve driven back and forth across the country to see our respective families – the last time I had been to my parents’ home was in 2009, so this was long overdue – and we’ll be wrapping up those visits in the beginning of July. Then there will be about six weeks during which I hope to recover from the brutality of the past year while getting a bit of research done. We still have to publish research papers and the like throughout our time as graduate students if we hope to get jobs as professors, you see, but I also need a long sequence of consecutive 12-hour snoozes in the near future. Completing these cross-country trips at the beginning of the summer so that we could relax at the end of the time off classes was part of our strategy.

So, that’s the story. With all that said, please allow me to apologize for my unannounced, extended absence. I consider a number of you to be close friends of mine, and I’m sorry to have made you worried for so long.

Despite my lack of appearances, TPM has been in my thoughts every day. The importance I place on this community and the people here has made the absence all the more difficult for me. I know that being busy is no excuse, and I should have taken an earlier opportunity to let people know what was happening. I suppose that it was difficult to say, after a month of being gone, “Hey, sorry for being AWOL. I may or may not be inactive for a bit longer, depending on how things go.” It’s easy to convince oneself that it would look better to say “Sorry for being gone, but I’m back now!” when you actually make a decisive return rather than provide a sheepish half-return. That problem only grows worse when one month becomes two and then three… and after that point, I really didn’t have a spare moment as it was. Again, though, it’s no excuse. I know this is insufficient, but for now all I can offer in that regard is an apology for being gone. I’m sorry.

The biggest frustration for me, aside from being away from TPM (and sleep) itself, is how the process snowballed multiple times. For a moment, it would seem as though I was finally making headway, and then some other crisis would arise that would pile on more work than before, further delaying any hopes of returning or even making real contact with anyone. Personally, I suspect that may be a small part of the reason why Becky joined at the particular time she did: to help reunite me with my online home, if only by letting people know that, hey, guess what, Brian’s still alive. (Don’t get me wrong, she’s been talking about joining the forum since we met, and I know for a fact that she’s thoroughly enjoyed some of the fanfics that she’s been reading as of late. Becky’s not merely “Pika’s plus one” on TPM, and I doubt she’d want to be treated that way, either. I just have a feeling there may have been some ulterior motives for her exact timing in registering and making her presence known. Or maybe it was just happenstance. It’s hard to say. She’s crafty that way.)

Relatedly, I have appreciated everyone’s well wishes and requests to return (which Becky graciously forwarded). I hope you know that I care about those of you on the forum every bit as much as you cared about me when you were sending those notes. (Gabi, sly as she is, even found a way to get an e-card to me; I meant to thank you earlier, Gabi, but let me do it now. Thanks! I was really touched by your kind words and actions.) You all mean a lot to me. I suppose it goes without saying after spending the better part of a decade on TPM, but in many ways, you guys are my family too. So thank you.

I’m still juggling some things at the moment – like I said, Becky and I are still visiting family at the moment, and there are quite a few other miscellaneous tasks on which I’m catching up right now – so it will probably be at least a few more weeks before I can return to anything resembling normal activity for me. There’s more to be said, I’m sure, and I’m way behind on… well, everything, especially those things that are TPM-related. Nonetheless, though, I’m glad to finally have an opportunity to let you know that Pika’s on his way home.

-Brian

P.S. Before I forget, Louis, if you haven’t already heard from Gabi, the new Pokemon Hangman Randomizer (http://pokemon-randomizer.greatnow.com/randomizer_bw.html) is done. Sorry for the delay on that, as well. At least finishing that is a start.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
19th June 2011, 01:34 AM
Awesome! Welcome Back!

I'll read that post after posting this! You came back just in time for my birthday party!

abunaidesu
19th June 2011, 02:01 AM
Glad to see you back. :)

Fett One
19th June 2011, 02:03 AM
Welcome back. You may have went through hell getting your thesis done but at least now its done so you can finally relax a little and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Also, congrats on the engagement.

Drago
19th June 2011, 02:20 AM
...Huh.

:eek:

EDIT: Yes, I edited this post with the sole purpose of adding the :eek: smilie. Definitely gave it depth.

mattbcl
19th June 2011, 06:02 AM
I'm still a relative newcomer here, but in the time it's taken to get acclimated, I've heard tell of the (in)famous Brian / mr_pikachu. Between descriptions of a wonderful person and the hellaciously quotable quotes that several users seem to hoard, it's easy for me to see that those who do know you have missed you terribly... so if/when they start posting in reply to this thread, I'm sure they'll be ecstatic to see you've returned.

It's precisely because I don't know you that I took the time to read the entirety of your post. I feel obligated to say that while a community such as this is a rare and special thing, it seems a no-brainer to put academia (particularly the brand you describe) at the top of your list of priorities, even if it does mean having to sacrifice the time and effort you'd have otherwise spent on social pursuits. It took a lot longer than you expected and there were disappointments along the way, but to see you recount the tale, all I can do is sincerely applaud your tenacity... God knows I probably would have had a breakdown. In any event, I really don't think you have much to worry about; if you have true friends here, the only possible outcome I can imagine is forgiveness and open-armed, bear-hugging "welcome back"s. For those who'd refuse to extend those courtesies... well, are they really worth knowing?

From what I've seen of Becky, she's been pretty awesome so far - kind, thoughtful, and sincere. I definitely agree that you're very lucky to have her, and the two of you are sure to have a wonderful life together. Congratulations on your engagement.

Oh, and I'm Matt, by the way. Hope you don't mind me dropping in. :)

Telume
19th June 2011, 06:03 AM
Welcome back, sir. :O

Magmar
19th June 2011, 07:22 AM
Welcome back Brian :)
I went through a very similar year, but just to complete my undergrad! Glad to know my teachers set up a good expectation of grad school, if it really is huge blocks of time spent poring over mundane data, organizing, and reading more journals than you care to admit. I'm starting my master's this fall :)
Take a break, take a nap! Take two naps! After all this, you deserve a good snooze.

Shadow Wolf
19th June 2011, 07:42 AM
Brian... I can't be more happy to know that you're doing well, you're being loved and you're back on TPM.

I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say that we missed you a lot and that we thought that there had to be a strong reason that took you away from us for a long while (I thought of college, but didn't thought of a life-consuming thesis).

A lot of thoughts are running through my mind that I would like to share with you, but my emotions are somehow blocking me from putting them into words. So I'll just wrap it up: Welcome back Big Brother! :)

And I agree with Magmar. Do me a favor and when you can...
get a good...
long...
night...
SLEEP. You deserve it! ;)

Jeff
19th June 2011, 10:40 AM
If sleep is for the weak, then I don't want to be strong!

Anyway, welcome back! You're probably looking to catch up on what's been going on for the past year, so here's a rundown of what I can remember. The main site started having issues in early July, and I wasn't even able to log into the server to get rid of the ugly error message at first. I finally was able to fix it, but couldn't get the news to display anymore. To make matters worse, the main site went down in September. The Unowns were held in November, results here (http://www.thepokemasters.net/hof/unown2010.php). Early this year, we got a new server and got the site up and running again. The first TPM Pokédex (http://www.thepokemasters.net/pokedex/) since 2002 launched when Black and White came out. The first ever TPM meetup has been planned for this August (see the DC area convention poll thread). And finally, we now have a Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Pok%C3%A9Masters/169328469793157) to go along with the group that was created way back when. So yeah, quite a bit of stuff has happened in the past year, and that was just the stuff I was involved with!

Number1ChanseyFan
19th June 2011, 11:09 AM
Yay!! Welcome back mr_pika!! :birthday: I know it isn't your b-day but it just seems appropriate. hehe I'll write something better/longer when I have a little more time!! I'm so glad to see you back though!! ^_^

Gavin Luper
19th June 2011, 12:57 PM
:eek: :hellyeah:

BRIAN! YOU'RE BACK!!!

So stoked that you're back here, mate, and relieved that the pressure of academia has eased on you slightly.

Much catching up is to follow, I'm sure ... will reply to the FD thing soon!

Very happy to see you on TPM again - and congrats on the engagement dude!

Cheers!

Lady Vulpix
19th June 2011, 02:55 PM
WELCOME BACK!!

No, this deserves something more...

WELCOME BACK!!!!

Now that's more like it. :) I'm glad that you received my e-Card and liked it. And, as I said before, I'm glad to know you're OK. What you went through with your thesis is something I wouldn't wish upon anyone. It's good to know the worst is already in the past. Do try to get some sleep as soon as you can, and congratulations! (Both on your engagement and on managing to get all that work done in spite of the obstacles).

The Blue Avenger
19th June 2011, 03:07 PM
The exact phrase that ran through my head when I read this was "Holy mother of god damn hell," as theologically inaccurate as it might be.

Good to hear from you, dude. Congratulations on finally getting things under control, and to a more significant extent, the pending hitch.

I wish I had something more profound to say, but I really don't, other than 'welcome back.'

Knight of Time
19th June 2011, 05:56 PM
Welcome back.

As you may have heard, I have made a return to Pokemon Hangman.

There was a day when I was checking my plushie page on Angelfire out of curiosity to see if it still existed, and to my surprise, it was still there. Of course, I hadn't updated it since 2006 (I still have several doubles of plushies, probably the most of anyone who is playing the game these days), but Gabi has helped me out by putting them in the order I had gotten them in, rather than the alphabetical order I originally had the page in.

So not long after Gabi gave me a copy of the page with the "corrected" order to my plushies, I began to go back through previous versions of Pokemon Hangman to see what was my 160th plushie, my 161st, my 162nd, and so on. Thankfully, I got everything up-to-date, so as of now, I have added 6 new plushies to my collection (5 that I won, and another I received in a trade with Gabi), currently, I'm at 211 plushies, but I vow I'm going to keep adding to my collection...I've not bothered to make a guess on certain puzzles where my guess would have gotten me a plushie I already have, so yeah, I definitely have enough doubles as it is...I have a funny feeling though trading them all might not happen, but it's no big deal if I end up hanging onto some of the doubles for life.

As for any possibility of me returning as a worker (that depends on if you and Shadow Wolf want me to return as a worker someday; I talked to Christen about the thoughts of becoming a worker once again and she sounded happy about it), my status as deciding to become a worker again is up in the air; if I was given the green light to become a worker again, it may take me quite some time to decide on if I do want to be a worker again.

Still, it's great to see you again, hope you get to gradually catch up on your rest, and congratulations on the engagement.

Blademaster
19th June 2011, 06:16 PM
tl;dr

Still, WELCOME THE FUCK BACK MAN!!! :cawg:

BEER AND PIZZA ARE ON THE LEFT; HOOKERS AND VIDEO GAMES ARE ON THE RIGHT

Asilynne
20th June 2011, 06:16 PM
Oh shit our grammer is under scrutiny again! Haha jk, I don't know you that well but while you were gone you had quite a legendary status so welcome back :)

Andrew
21st June 2011, 07:35 AM
Hi

Jeff
21st June 2011, 09:02 AM
Oh shit our grammer is under scrutiny again! Haha jk, I don't know you that well but while you were gone you had quite a legendary status so welcome back :)

*grammar

What? Brian didn't say it, so someone had to.:P

Lady Vulpix
21st June 2011, 09:28 AM
Grammer exists here. It's a company that makes seats for buses (and probably other things too, but I've only seen their bus seats).

The Blue Avenger
21st June 2011, 09:40 AM
Well, if Brian starts scrutinizing our bus seat companies, I will be somewhat surprised.

Blademaster
21st June 2011, 03:07 PM
Wouldn't put it past him...

Asilynne
21st June 2011, 06:56 PM
*grammar

What? Brian didn't say it, so someone had to.:P

Damn you :P lol

Samchu
21st June 2011, 07:26 PM
This is a return that is looooong overdue. Congratulations on making it through your thesis. Despite all the shit you went through the fact that you battled through it and succeeded is a testament to your complete and utter unrefined awesomeness. On top of that, you found a hot gamer chick. You DOG! You really are the man, Brian.

*Is thrilled to have the grammar nazi back on board*

Dark-San
23rd June 2011, 07:35 AM
All I can see from mrpikachu's post are blocks of word. >.<;

And like I always believe in 'The Grammar Nazi never dies!'. Welcome back...

mr_pikachu
14th July 2011, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. I'm really touched by your thoughtfulness in your heartfelt welcoming back. It's been a rough time, but I'm delighted to be returning. Like I mentioned before, I'm still getting myself back on track -- between finishing the interstate traveling, getting some extra sleep for the sake of recovery, helping a couple of friends move into a new apartment, continuing the wedding planning, and so forth, I've still been quite busy, but it's getting better.

I'm just going to briefly respond to those of you who posted here. Many of us, I'm certain, will be chatting further on AIM/MSN and on the forums in the near future, as well. (If anyone has been trying to catch me on AIM or MSN, I apologize; on top of the general hecticness of my schedule, I'm having some difficulties with my chat clients, so that's why you haven't been able to find me for casual conversations.)

Mikachu: Thanks! I know this is rather belated at this point, but happy birthday!

abunaidesu: Thank you. It's good to be back!

Fett: Yeah, the thesis was a real trial, but it's certainly rewarding to have it done -- even if it wasn't quite the masterpiece I had originally envisioned. Oh well... it's a research project I'll be continuing, anyway, and some of the rewards are already there. Thank you for the engagement congratulations, too!

Tony: Heh. I honestly wasn't sure what to think about your post at first, so the smiley actually did help. It's good to see you, too. Hopefully the NFL will get through its lockout before the season starts, eh?

Matt: Thank you for the compliments. I've heard quite a bit about you from Becky, too. According to her, you're a very skillful writer, so I'll have to check out some of your work in Fanfic soon.

As for the time management dilemma, it's been very difficult, as I hope I adequately conveyed in my last post. You're right that this is a special community, the likes of which I've never found elsewhere, so it's been difficult to bear any time away, let alone a full year. I've been trying to avoid the sort of breakdown to which you alluded by taking as much of the summer as I can to unwind (again, including ample sleep) and minimize my workload. God knows I'll be in trouble if I really hit serious burnout during my final year of coursework and the preliminary exams.

And yes, Becky is nothing short of fantastic. I don't know what I did to deserve her, but every day with her is a privilege. :)

Telume: Why, thank you!

Magmar: Yes, grad school can be a beast at times -- I tell people that they want to make sure the people who get degrees really wanted them. Your description of grad school is pretty accurate, so it's good to know that you've been pushing yourself to prepare for the next level, too! So, what will you be doing for your Master's? Are you thinking of pushing through the Ph.D. as well, or are you looking at a terminal Master's right now? (Side note: Whatever your plan is right now, it can and probably will change. Perhaps multiple times.)

Louis: It has certainly been too long. I wish that there had been opportunities to contribute to the forums throughout that "strong reason," but as you said, the life-consuming thesis was... well, pretty life-consuming.

I've long held a great deal of respect for you, and your management of Pokemon Hangman during this period and your gracious welcome back have only further solidified my thoughts about you. So, thank you, Louis.

Jeff: Ha! Yeah, sleep may be for the weak, but a lack of sleep makes one weak. Argh!

It sounds like there have been a lot of issues with the main site, but I'm glad that it's up and running again now. I believe I promised a couple of contributions to the site when we last spoke, and I still intend to fulfill that commitment.

Christen: Thanks! It's good to be back, birthday or not. I'll respond to the PMs shortly!

Gavin: Thank you! Yeah, I'm really excited to be back. We'll catch up in the near future. I know I've fallen behind in LTL reading, too... such blasphemy on my part!

Gabi: I should have known that RB/M would await me, heh! I appreciate the congratulations and, again, the welcome back. We've already talked a bit, and I know we'll be chatting quite a bit more in the future.

EDIT: Whoops, I just realized I said something I wasn't supposed to reveal quite yet... well, I'm sure that it will be public knowledge very shortly, anyway.

HM: Such phrases have run through my head a few times, as well, especially over the past year. I agree -- the most significant news is definitely the engagement, even if it had the least bearing on my absence.

Sometimes, you don't have to be profound to be heartfelt. Let me just say that I really appreciate your warm welcome!

KoT: I'm glad that you're making a Hangman return! Yes, tracking your plushies can be pretty difficult, but it certainly has its share of rewards, especially for trading purposes. We'll have to talk soon and play some Hangman together, too!

Blade: Haha, I figured I'd probably get a tl;dr or two. Thank you! It's hard to beat pizza and gaming....

Asi: Thanks! I'm just glad to be here again. Hopefully my Grammar Nazi status hasn't attached too much infamy to my name, heh. I know we've only chatted a few times, but I've enjoyed the conversations that we've had. In any case, thank you for welcoming me back!

Ozzy: u2

Sam: Sorry for the massive delay, but thank you! It's been a trial, I can say that much. I'm not sure I deserve the heaps of praise in your post, but I do appreciate the kindness. It's good to be back!

Dark: Yeah, sorry for the length of that post. I figured that those who wanted the full story would read it, and those who didn't need to know everything would get the message. At any rate, thank you for the welcome back, Dark!

I think that's about it for now. Again, I'm sure I'll be talking further with most of you in the near future, so I'll probably save further elaboration until then. I'd just like to thank you all for your kind messages. It means a lot to be received with such welcoming words. I place a great deal of importance on the relationships I share with everyone I've met on TPM, so to know that you care about me and my wellbeing as well is very uplifting. So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

Knight of Time
15th July 2011, 06:46 AM
Heh, now that you mention it, I actually did a few trades earlier since coming into Hangman again (including a 6 plushie trade one day)...I also see you posted in my new Pokemon BrainStrain game...what do you think of it so far, mr_pikachu?