PDA

View Full Version : One Year Topic 2011/12

Drago
11th July 2011, 07:58 PM
Back in the dying days of 2008, Blademaster made a thread with the intention of carrying an ongoing discussion that would last a year. (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18040) We got there, eventually. Last year's attempt wasn't as successful, but I figured we might as well give it another shot.

Yeah, I know: this would have made more sense back in January, but hindsight is 20/20.

Anyhow: to begin the discussion (and feel free to hijack the discussion at any point and take it in a different direction, that's how it stays alive):

Tell us about a country you love to visit, or that you would most like to visit someday.

http://images.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/games/images/lakitu_20070608174336.jpg

Deadwood_Zen
11th July 2011, 08:07 PM
Well, the United States are okay. I'm an "angry teenager with no respect for anyone", or so you'd think(not necessarily the case, 'cept with politics).

Nevada there's not much to do, especially since I'm a minor. That's why I learn all the instruments I do.

Speaking of which, I'm learning ukelele! I figured out "Jack Sparrow" by Lonely Island on it today on my own when I was bored xD

Mikachu Yukitatsu
11th July 2011, 10:36 PM
I used to have a big Japan obsession. First I dreamt of becoming an exchange student, then moving to Japan, having a Japanese girlfriend and later, a Japanese wife, seeing Mt. Fuji, shopping in Akirahabara and stuff. That obsession lasted from 2000 to 2002 or something, and then I realized I couldn't become an exchange student and also, I had this horrible crush on a Finnish girl.

I do have been outside Finland though. Sweden and Norway of course, but yet to see Russia. I'd like to visit Russia for some difference. We also drove through Eastern Europe to Italy and back. Of course it was cool to see Colosseum, Forum Romanum, Vatican and other monuments of European history but I would have seen them in Spain, France and Great Britain too. And another summer, we did a similar trip to Germany, Hannover World Expo 2000 was great.

Right now, I'd like to visit Australia, USA, China, Japan, Brazil, Argentina, Canada, Great Britain, France, Spain, Greece, Egypt, practically every country. From Blade's One-Year Topic, you may remember my plan to meet TPMers around the world. Now I may never have money to seriously manage that, but it's a dream.

Deadwood_Zen
11th July 2011, 11:03 PM
my plan to meet TPMers around the world. Now I may never have money to seriously manage that, but it's a dream.
I want to do this, but will all of my international friends. If/when I go cross-country after high school, I can at least hit most up in the US.

I've never actually left the United States D:

Blademaster
12th July 2011, 03:25 AM
I wanna visit Australia.

Drago
12th July 2011, 04:14 AM
I wanna visit Australia.
http://www.reece-eu.net/gallery/var/resizes/funny/i-see-what-you-did-there-house.jpg?m=1272643794

ChobiChibi
12th July 2011, 05:15 AM
Well, I've met Samchu, and will be seeing her again in November for the Final Fantasy Distant Worlds concert. Also meeting Weasel Overlord later in the year :D (And will probs hunt her down at Distant Worlds too derp). Saving up to go to Canada to stay with Crystal Tears (and, y'know, Pichu Lover too I guess XP) because I can :D

Countries I want to go to... Japan is a given, really, although not aiming for a Japanese gf like Mikachu. Canada, blates. I'd love to go back to Italy: loved Verona so much, have such good memories and it was just a beautiful place. Venice was awesome too.

Shadow Wolf
12th July 2011, 05:39 AM
Hmm... Countries...

For an unexpected weakness to Asian girls, videogames and curiosity for eastern culture (especially in the concept of values), I would like to visit Japan and China. But a country that I've dreamed of visiting is Venice.

Toucan Sundae
12th July 2011, 05:45 AM
I'd love to go to Luxembourg, just because.

Also, the US maybe, but...actually, no. Australia or New Zealand, probably. I've never been outside of Europe, so I'd like to go somewhere other than Poland, Greece, Wales or France.

mattbcl
12th July 2011, 06:25 AM
I think I'd like to visit the UK someday. Maybe also go back to Russia - there's a ton of culture and history there that's completely beyond the normal U.S. experience. (Their space museum is pretty sad, though!)

Oslo
12th July 2011, 07:57 AM
When I was seventeen I went to France, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria and Germany... and I'd definitely go back to any of those places, except perhaps not Liechtenstein, because, well, it's Liechtenstein. Fun name, though.

I'd love to visit New Zealand and South Africa, though really, I really wouldn't be picky when it comes to world travel. Anywhere but the same county where I've lived my entire life would obviously be thrilling.

Dark-San
12th July 2011, 08:36 AM
See you guys in Japan this coming December! :)

If anyone of you guys are in downtown Tokyo around that month, let me know. We can arrange a meetup with some of my buddies.

Blademaster
12th July 2011, 02:16 PM
Hmm... Countries...

For an unexpected weakness to Asian girls, videogames and curiosity for eastern culture (especially in the concept of values), I would like to visit Japan and China. But a country that I've dreamed of visiting is Venice.

Venice isn't a country.

Heald
12th July 2011, 02:36 PM
Venice isn't a country.
It was, once, long ago.

Until it was overrun by frogs and breadstick-monkeys.

Deadwood_Zen
12th July 2011, 02:53 PM
When in Rome, burn it down ;]

mattbcl
12th July 2011, 04:20 PM
What was the old expression? "See Venice, and die." But then again, you only live once.

ChobiChibi
12th July 2011, 04:38 PM
Did someone say Venice?

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq92/chobichibi/DSCF0445-2.jpg?t=1310506650

Shadow Wolf
12th July 2011, 04:55 PM
Venice isn't a country.

Ignorance is me new best friend. So yeah, Venice, Italy (even if I die in the process).

ChobiChibi
12th July 2011, 05:02 PM
It's okay, I didn't die :3 Left my heart there, though.

Deadwood_Zen
12th July 2011, 05:53 PM
I left mine in Oregon. Prettiest place on this Earth :3

Asilynne
12th July 2011, 08:44 PM
QX5UR2leYHA

DarkestLight
12th July 2011, 08:51 PM
Aussie all day. Wanna jam with Aboriginies, eat some cactus trees and whittle my own boomerang :/ Straight rough it in the Outback.

Japan as well, I got alot of Hokkaido hiking to do, go up to Sendai and chill with some peeps there. Need to recreate Mt Fugi Chapelle mishaps as well >D

Uhh then there's South Africa. I wanna go to the damn Cape in the Summer there and watch Great Whites eat seals :O! Effing sick! 17 foot jumps? What? All DAY ALL DAY!

(Note-all these places all have different flavors of Gatorade that I will find and try, as well as alcohol. I already have African Mampoer-which is strong STRRRRONGG SHIT)

Umm I'm sure there's more, but yah. Top three. And Tony-when I get to Aussie, its gonna be monstrous. Ima live and work there for like 6 months. Somehow XD.

Asilynne
12th July 2011, 08:57 PM
And Tony-when I get to Aussie, its gonna be monstrous. Ima live and work there for like 6 months. Somehow XD.

You can do it for a year since your still under 30: http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/462/usa/ GOGOGOGO! Just need to save up $5k >.>

Master Rudy
13th July 2011, 01:48 AM
Did someone say Venice?

I think someone said Venice :P

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/groups/1/2/1636/thumb_620x2000/venice_canal.jpg

Mikachu Yukitatsu
13th July 2011, 09:35 AM
What was the old expression? "See Venice, and die." But then again, you only live once.

Hey, isn't it "See Naples, and die."? I'm not sure about this. I think it means that when you have seen Naples, you have seen the most beautiful city in the world and you may rest in peace. But that's all wrong, Haapavesi is the most beautiful city in the world. Yeah right!

I have been to Venice by the way. In the middle of night, though. I think my Italy visit didn't include Naples.

Plus, I didn't mention my long-time crazy dream of having a summer cottage in Antarctica. As a winter person, I'd escape the Summer to the Southern hemisphere, while other Finns go to their stupid summer cottages by some small lakes in summers.

Magmar
13th July 2011, 09:44 AM
If you haven't seen Rhode Island, I suggest you do so. It's got old architecture, our high schools are built like castles, the beaches are gorgeous, and the autumns are breathtaking. Just snowy enough in the winter; just hot enough in the summer; hardly any natural disasters!

I'd love to see Scandinavia. Or Argentina! I would love to explore South America. :)

Jeff
13th July 2011, 11:25 AM
Sadly, I've never been outside of the US, but maybe one day. One thing I've always wanted to do though, is take a road trip through all 50 states, maybe visiting each state capital along the way.

Master Rudy
13th July 2011, 12:20 PM
Sadly, I've never been outside of the US, but maybe one day. One thing I've always wanted to do though, is take a road trip through all 50 states, maybe visiting each state capital along the way.

And how exactly were you planning on taking a road trip to Hawaii? ^_~

Heald
13th July 2011, 12:41 PM
And how exactly were you planning on taking a road trip to Hawaii? ^_~
http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/Media/425x255/35/35A5509CC3C04783BA5E312D920E0BC2.jpg

midnightangel
13th July 2011, 05:33 PM
That's a difficult choice. So many countries to choose from.
If I HAD to choose one-- since I've already been to Naples Italy (it's not as bad as you think)--it would have to be Japan. I've always wanted to learn about the culture and the people. ;)

Mikachu Yukitatsu
16th July 2011, 12:51 AM
Plus, I'd like to see Oslo one day.

Oslo
16th July 2011, 08:29 AM
Plus, I'd like to see Oslo one day.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2696/60/65/505655651/n505655651_6242125_3929313.jpg

There. Done.

Now you may die a happy man.

Drago
17th July 2011, 06:01 AM
And Tony-when I get to Aussie, its gonna be monstrous. Ima live and work there for like 6 months. Somehow XD.
Aww hell yeah. Stationed in Victoria? Or are you gonna be somewhere nutty like Darwin?

mattbcl
17th July 2011, 07:03 AM
Dude, Oslo, now I'm curious, what are you eating? Looks like mashed potatoes, but I can't really get a good view on it and you've tilted the pot away in the classic passive-aggressive "THIS IS MINE, YOU CAN'T HAVE ANY!" pose.

Drago
17th July 2011, 06:55 PM
I second the vote on mashed potato.

Oslo
17th July 2011, 07:17 PM
I believe it was a Knorr Sidekick. Butter and herb or something along those lines.

Which, really, only adds to the class and grace this photo exudes.

mattbcl
17th July 2011, 09:21 PM
Okay, I see your butter and herb Knorr Sidekick and raise you a gigantic sundae.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/268722_252925234722765_100000158727328_1268274_718 822_n.jpg

And no... you can't have any.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/264427_252925371389418_100000158727328_1268279_262 1519_n.jpg

Thumbs up for pigout -- erm, Pokémon!

Becky
18th July 2011, 10:08 PM
In the words of my lil' sis...y'all (Oslo and Matt) look great! How about we do a "recent pic" post? (Hey, the thread did say we could take this in another direction. Lots of countries I'd like to visit, but right now I'm thinking about where I'd like to go for a honeymoon, so most of my choices are your standard 'tropical paradise' options ^_^;).

I'll start with a recent pic of me from a week ago when I co-hosted a friend's bridal shower. Fantastic turnout, and lots of great food, although I can't take any credit for making any of it. (I cut out the bride and the other co-host/matron of honor in the picture to protect their privacy).

Uh, and this may be a really dumb question, but how do you all usually share photos/art? Do you upload the files and share the link, or do you use attachments? What's the standard protocol?

Edit: I love shopping and love to know where people go! In pic: My dress is an oldie from Bebe (2006), and most of my makeup is Mac and Urban Decay. For the gals...and guys!...here, where do you love to shop?

Asilynne
18th July 2011, 10:40 PM
Sure I'll bite ;D Nice pic Becky!! Bridal showers are awesome :)

Here's a recent pic of me from this past Saturday. Me and a group of friends went to a club in DC called Midnight, which is like a metal/goth type thing, I don't really know since it was my first one :s But it was fun to dress up :) This is totally not usually how I dress up, and I never wear that much makeup, but it was interesting to say the least! All of my friends thought I was my sister at first because she usually like the goth look.

I used to always upload on photobucket and share the pic using the img tags, but I've gotten lazy in my old age XD so I just use attachments now :)

mattbcl
19th July 2011, 06:53 AM
I just figure out what pic I have on Facebook that I want to demonstrate here, then snag the direct link and paste it into the post courtesy of the image insertion option in advanced posting. (Actually those two up yonder were my first attempts... huge pics, I know, but you can hardly argue with the results.)

When it comes to shopping, it depends on what I'm looking for; since Becky was describing her fashion sense, then I'll just go with that. As far as the clothing department is concerned, I almost always buy at Wal-Mart. Yep, bargain shopper right over here. But sometimes I'll find some fun shirts online.

Deadwood_Zen
19th July 2011, 02:02 PM
My Facebook profile picture is the most recent pic of me I have, and that way from the first week of June. I don't own a camera and my phone sucks, so I rely on friends who have nothing better to do than to capture me in all my forever-alone glory :P

As for pictures, Photobucket and IMG tags are easy. Works almost anywhere.

Shopping? I normally get shirts from local thrift stores(concert shirts/plain-solid, dark colours and dress shirts are all I pretty much wear) or concert I attend. Every show I go to, I must buy a shirt, just for memory's sake. I've done that for every concert I've attended but my first D:
As for pants/shorts, it's pretty much wherever. I am a 29/31 in men's pants size, and I have no butt, so anywhere that I can find pants that fit it pretty much where I'm stuck. The Zumiez outlet in Folsom, CA had the amazing skinny jeans ever. I really want to go back before school, since my last pairs lasted me 2 years, after I cut them to shorts when they ripped in the knees. Empyre jeans are awesome. Just sayin'...

Becky
19th July 2011, 03:17 PM
Hot stuff, Asilynne! Get 'em, girl. :)

Blademaster
19th July 2011, 03:48 PM
Asi's pic

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

Asilynne
19th July 2011, 05:47 PM
Aww thank you :) And Blade wth does that mean? XD I keep reading it as hannnnnnnnng lol

Becky
19th July 2011, 07:10 PM
I think Blade's speechless!

classy_cat18
19th July 2011, 07:54 PM
I think Blade's speechless!

That's a funny way of being speechless.

Blademaster
19th July 2011, 08:48 PM
Second definition. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hnng)

DarkestLight
19th July 2011, 11:07 PM
Yeah that's not...speechless XD That's Yoshi's sound when he flutter jumps

Yeah my Facebook pic currently is of last Friday, whilst I was playing Ultimate.

Where...is it...Aside from FB..hrm can't direct link to it from there.....ugh gonna make me run to Photobucket.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll80/HikariMeoru/281929_660723822236_23500553_34744581_6063980_n.jp g

Mikachu Yukitatsu
19th July 2011, 11:29 PM
There's even more beautiful picture of Asilynne in that same outfit on Facebook, perhaps she could share it, too.

As for myself, I haven't changed my FB pic for aeons. And then there's my Photobucket account, full of boring pictures inside my room. All of the same scenery.

mattbcl
26th July 2011, 01:51 PM
Topic shift!

Got a picture for people to laugh at. Join me in the humor, won't you?

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/251669_246421738710899_100000292254458_953178_2171 771_n.jpg

Asilynne
26th July 2011, 02:05 PM
Topic shift!

Got a picture for people to laugh at. Join me in the humor, won't you?

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/251669_246421738710899_100000292254458_953178_2171 771_n.jpg

THANK YOU!!!!! Now you need to make one where the guy is angling the camera down his shirt while he tries to make cleavage, because THAT sort of pic is everywhere too x.x! lol

Jeff
26th July 2011, 02:40 PM
Guys who take their profile pic shirtless in front of a mirror. Stop. You look like a tool. Yes, I understand it's "FOR TEH LAYDEES!!!1!1!", but given your level of toolitude, I question if they actually appreciate it. That is all.

Drago
27th July 2011, 07:57 AM
Guys who take their profile pic shirtless in front of a mirror. Stop. You look like a tool. Yes, I understand it's "FOR TEH LAYDEES!!!1!1!", but given your level of toolitude, I question if they actually appreciate it. That is all.
I took a shirtless mirror pic once...

...But I didn't use it as a profile picture.

Does that still count? :o

ChobiChibi
27th July 2011, 08:42 AM
This guy at work yesterday flicked open page 3 of the Sun, glanced at the boobs, turned the page and says to me "I think they should put pictures in for girls too. Y'know, like a nice looking guy in his briefs." So I just nod, thinking I'd rather have the boobs kthx, when he continues with "man parts (his words, not mine) are just not very nice to look at" and starts rambling about it. Shut up, man! I barely know you! Do not want to talk about penises with you thanks.

Then he tried to work out what 14 trillion was in billions. I lol'd.

Classtoise
27th July 2011, 12:02 PM
THANK YOU!!!!! Now you need to make one where the guy is angling the camera down his shirt while he tries to make cleavage, because THAT sort of pic is everywhere too x.x! lol
Or takes his picture at an angle at arms length

Deadwood_Zen
27th July 2011, 11:37 PM
4Oqx2GqUvs4
^ Just for those guys.

Drago
7th August 2011, 11:42 PM
Shifting the topic mildly to this: What type of people do you hate most?

I hate self-promotional people. The kind who are only either praising themselves, or putting someone else down. Who cannot accept fault, be apologetic or thankful, and are generally repugnant and repellent as a result.

I have met two people who fit this to a tee. I know lots of arrogant, self-absorbed people, but I can deal with that. It's this exact genus of douche that I cannot stand.

Deadwood_Zen
8th August 2011, 01:17 AM
I can not stand people who "like" their own statuses on Facebook and People Who Type Like Dis With Every Single Gods Damn Word Capitalized.

mattbcl
8th August 2011, 01:57 AM
I can't stand grown people who can't spell basic words. How did they make it through school without this skill? I'm not talking about the occasional "trip" of the fingers over the keyboard - that's understandable. I'm talking about consistent... sometimes even ostensibly deliberate... misspelling of words that have five or fewer letters. Case in point: an acquaintance of mine on Facebook who uses "ma" to spell the word "my". It annoyed me so much I blocked her. I'm a fan of onomatopoeia but that's taking it way too far.

Shadow Wolf
8th August 2011, 08:05 AM
This is kinda similar to the "Pretentious People" topic at the Writers Lounge.

Anyways, I agree with DK: I can't stand people who consider themselves the best when they can't even prove it; and the only thing they can do is try to make others feel bad by putting them down so they can find a bit of satisfaction for themselves.

...and the other type of people are the ones who think they are always right; the ones who have lost their capacity to think logically and rationally, believing that what they discover is always right (even if it has been proven wrong).

Asilynne
8th August 2011, 09:40 AM
I strongly dislike people that think they're the shit but have nothing going for them to back it up, people who refuse to learn anything because they think they know everything already, and people who micromanage all the time because they have an inferiority complex and have to constantly assert their authority. Mainly I've encountered these types of people whilst working retail :rolleyes: Retail managers have a bad habit of falling into this category.

I OCCASIONALLY LIKE MY OWN STATUSES but only for funsies ;D

ChobiChibi
8th August 2011, 09:50 AM
I hate people who are late. *waited 1 hour and 40 minutes for her manager this morning*

Won't have this problem for much longer, for I am this close to being management :D MWAHAHAHAHA~

OHEY ASI. Not all retail people fit in that category. I'm gonna bitchslap those bitches til they do their work.

Asilynne
8th August 2011, 10:00 AM
I hate people who are late. *waited 1 hour and 40 minutes for her manager this morning*

Won't have this problem for much longer, for I am this close to being management :D MWAHAHAHAHA~

OHEY ASI. Not all retail people fit in that category. I'm gonna bitchslap those bitches til they do their work.

Every one I ever worked for x.x CEPT ONE so yes you're right XD At my work even when I know what to do there's always that one asshole manager hovering around trying to tell me how to do my job x.x

Blademaster
8th August 2011, 01:45 PM
I hate self-promotional people. The kind who are only either praising themselves, or putting someone else down. Who cannot accept fault, be apologetic or thankful, and are generally repugnant and repellent as a result.

Don't like these.

I can not stand people who "like" their own statuses on Facebook and People Who Type Like Dis With Every Single Gods Damn Word Capitalized.

Don't like these.

I can't stand grown people who can't spell basic words. How did they make it through school without this skill? I'm not talking about the occasional "trip" of the fingers over the keyboard - that's understandable. I'm talking about consistent... sometimes even ostensibly deliberate... misspelling of words that have five or fewer letters.

REALLY don't like these.

...and the other type of people are the ones who think they are always right; the ones who have lost their capacity to think logically and rationally, believing that what they discover is always right (even if it has been proven wrong).

Oh hey it's my mom. Don't like these either.

I strongly dislike people that think they're the shit but have nothing going for them to back it up, people who refuse to learn anything because they think they know everything already, and people who micromanage all the time because they have an inferiority complex and have to constantly assert their authority.

...Ouch. ;_;

Becky
11th August 2011, 07:12 PM
As I'm reading these posts, I ask myself if these behaviors occur in my graduate program... Quite common, actually.

Hmm, I'm not sure if I've liked my statuses or not...that's bad that I can't actually remember.

BTW, I can't believe we're so far into August!

mattbcl
11th August 2011, 07:43 PM
Fun thing about Facebook is you can go back and check. That is, assuming you would WANT to... the only thing I tend to scroll through in review is pictures. I like looking at the evolution/growth of myself and my friends.

Speaking of, our pics look pretty good! I almost felt underdressed for the occasion... glad Brian was in casual getup or I'd have felt like a bum!

mr_pikachu
11th August 2011, 11:04 PM
Speaking of, our pics look pretty good! I almost felt underdressed for the occasion... glad Brian was in casual getup or I'd have felt like a bum!

Casual? I was wearing long pants. Long pants. Does it get more formal than that?

classy_cat18
11th August 2011, 11:51 PM
What kind of person I hate? The kind that gives me a hard time for not "acting Black". I've had trouble with this all through school, and run into it on rare occasions with my family although they know what to expect from me by now.

Deadwood_Zen
12th August 2011, 01:02 AM
That's a #stuffwhitepeoplelike thing right there. "Act your racial stereotype!"

Asilynne
12th August 2011, 10:56 AM
What kind of person I hate? The kind that gives me a hard time for not "acting Black". I've had trouble with this all through school, and run into it on rare occasions with my family although they know what to expect from me by now.

I know what you mean...not personally obviously but indirectly. One of my friends is half white/half black and her stepdad is like flat out not liking anything about white people >.> so much so that all growing up he kinda treated her bad, not physically abusive just not as good as his two biological kids, and made her go to african american clubs and a college to try to make her act 'more black'. It didn't stop her from being herself though, you gotta go your own way, not the way other people say you are 'supposed' to be. <3

mattbcl
23rd August 2011, 09:41 PM
So how do you go about being yourself? In what ways do you stand apart from "the crowd", and in what ways do you prefer to join up with it? (Let's face it, even without that particular intent in mind, things will tend to fall into those two categories a lot more than we might like.)

Mikachu Yukitatsu
24th August 2011, 11:50 AM
I'm right now pissed off by a political party. We have one called 'Perussuomalaiset' and they got bored of English sources who called them names like 'True Finns' and 'Basic Finns'. So 'Perussuomalaiset' chose a brand-new English name to their party!

THE FINNS.

Yes, you read correctly, the same name as what is used to my nation in general. They better change it, before someone points me to the room full of people who care!

Asilynne
24th August 2011, 01:41 PM
The room full of people who care are also pissed!

Speaking of politics, I have grown weary of it in every form. There is no real difference between any political party that I've seen, they all pretend to pander to different groups of people but only to gain power for themselves, the only ones they are looking out for are also themselves regardless of what they say. Its pointless. I would love to see a politician that actually has the peoples best interest at heart and cares nothing for their own power, that actually is a SERVANT of the people which is what all politicians should be, but sadly I don't think they exist.

Master Rudy
25th August 2011, 03:32 PM
No talk of the VA/DC earthquake? Really guys?

http://fluxray.com/storage/funny-awesome-photos-thechive-14.jpg

mattbcl
15th September 2011, 10:50 PM
RSW: Blink-of-an-eye phenomenon, I guess...

Random complaint. The property next door is currently for sale. Before it was put on the market, the owners had an auction for all the items inside - it was their parents' home, but the parents passed away within the past year. The auction happened during one weekend I was hosting a gaming party here. Okay, no big deal, my driveway's long enough for 3 cars and it's clearly mine, and the rest of the street has plenty of curb space... not a problem, right?

WRONG. Curb space was at a premium that weekend, which I was willing to understand, but as a result of selfish idiocy, people kept parking in front of my driveway! I was about 5 seconds away from running upstairs, grabbing my hammer, and bashing in the windows of the next vehicle that pulled this RUDE and ILLEGAL move. Yeah, so my response would have fit the crime. But still... breathe in, breathe out, try to forgive and move on.

But today, suddenly we realized where those morons were getting it from. This evening, when there was a TON of curb space open on both sides of the street, along the entire block, the jerk in charge of the house next door parked his truck smack dab in front of our driveway. The moment my girlfriend noticed it was the moment I was out the front door with a pair of drumsticks in my hands. The dude was loitering on the sidewalk in front of the house for no apparent reason.

"Excuse me, sir, do you know whose truck that is?"

"Well, it's mine, I was figuring I'd just be here a few seconds, didn't figure it to be a problem. Am I in your way?"

Now my girlfriend is coming up behind me. Truth be told, no, we weren't actually planning on going anywhere, but to lend text to the thought that was running through both our heads simultaneously - THAT'S NOT THE POINT!

Her answer was more civil but no less cutting: "Well, you never know, but we'd appreciate it if you moved back or forward, there's plenty of space. If a cop saw that, he'd ticket you, 'cause blocking a driveway's illegal."

There's a reason I want to marry this girl.

Master Rudy
28th September 2011, 07:20 PM
Once again.....

No talk of the VA/DC earthquake? Really guys?

http://fluxray.com/storage/funny-awesome-photos-thechive-14.jpg

Seriously I never saw any of you talking about it. I would have thought at least Ben, Brandy, Sarah or Red would have brought it up (or anyone else from NoVA/DC for that matter)

In any case in an attempt to keep the topic moving and alive: 2011 in gaming! Yeah I know.....VG forum. However I'm just trying to keep this topic going. Surely someone can come along and change the topic in about five posts :P

Anyway what do you think are the main contenders for 2011's Game of the Year?

Right now I have a feeling it's going to come down to four games:

-L.A. Noire
-Deus Ex: Human Revolution
-Batman: Arkham City
-Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Thoughts on the matter?

mattbcl
28th September 2011, 09:10 PM
I say your list is pretty much spot-on, but the top two contenders on it will be Arkham City and Revelations. And much as I do enjoy the Assassin's Creed series, the only way Arkham City doesn't get my vote is if Batman isn't a playable character.

Jeff
28th September 2011, 09:56 PM
I felt the quake out here. Thought it was a truck going down the road, then maybe the washing machine upstairs, except the washing machine isn't right above my room. Then everything started shaking and I bolted for the door. By then, it was over.

Also, to connect this to current events. Rock climbers on the Washington Monument. That is all.

mattbcl
12th October 2011, 09:51 PM
I love this shirt (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showpost.php?p=519006&postcount=841). I've had friends, co-workers, servers, and cashiers comment on it - but for those who ask me about it, rarely do I think to include them in anything I write, since they behave themselves.

I wonder why I'm more tempted to immortalize jerks in my writings. Isn't that just a different way of feeding the troll?

Lady Vulpix
20th November 2011, 08:13 PM
That depends on what kind of trolls they are: whether they want to be noticed in any way, or they just want to be hated.

Also, at this rate this thread isn't going to last a year. Does anyone have anything to talk about?

mattbcl
20th November 2011, 10:28 PM
We had our concert/service tonight. First time I've performed publicly in several years. I'm getting off the adrenaline rush, and now I'm wondering why I used to hate performing so much.

There's a chance we may be able to take our particular gig elsewhere. Fingers crossed.