PDA

View Full Version : I filed a complaint against my manager

Link
15th July 2011, 10:33 AM
He claimed something bizarre about me and what I do, so I filed a complaint by phone against him, and now they're going to talk to him about his abuse of power and to clear away anything he may have said against me because he claims that I didn't give customers the correct change when I do, so what he claims isn't true about what I do.

Has anyone dealt with such abuse or mishandling of power from their own employer here?

Oh yeah, he claimed that I was short money, but a customer tried to rip me off $20. She claimed that she handed me $60 instead of what I actually saw which was $40. She ended up getting $20 more than what I saw she gave me, hence me being short money.

Jeff
15th July 2011, 11:06 AM
I can't say I've ever dealt with managers like that but I did used to work as a cashier and had to deal with customers that pull tricks like that. We used to call that one "the oldest trick in the book". Another variation is where, the customer gets back, say, $15.33 in change, then they start to walk away and pocket the 10 when you aren't looking then turn around and say "oh hey, you only gave me $5.33! Of course, then you apologize, and hand them another 10 dollar bill, only to find your drawer $10 short when you close.

What we always did to avoid stuff like that was count the money in front of the customer, especially if they hand you a large amount, or if they're getting a large amount of change back. That way, they know, that we know how much money is being handed over.

Deadwood_Zen
15th July 2011, 11:57 AM
My mom's worked grocery for years. She doesn't anymore, since she got hurt, but every since we were little she taught us how things were ran. You ALWAYS count change for them, when working ANYWHERE. Just to avoid that problem.

Magmar
15th July 2011, 04:49 PM
I have done this. However, I can't give any details. It led to an employee termination (not my own).

Crystal Mew
16th July 2011, 02:39 PM
At my old job they were giving me a written warning because I called in on black friday because my grandpa died a few days before that and that was the day of his funeral... :[

they didnt do it until 4 months later though which was weird...but anyway, I quit right then and found a much better job with wayyyy better managers.

I should have filed a complaint against them, because seriously wtf

DarkestLight
16th July 2011, 04:12 PM
I worked at enough restaurants to know how all the money schemes work :O As stated previously, you always count the change out in front of them, so they can't try anything.

Though, that doesn't help if you work for small time rental places and pocket people's late fees ....:o

Jeff
16th July 2011, 06:00 PM
Oh, and another tip. Don't put the money the customer gives you in the drawer until after you give them their change. That way, if they try to say "Hey, I handed you a 20!", you can say "Oh really? I have the 10 you handed me right here!"

Oslo
16th July 2011, 07:31 PM
Oh God, this happened to me once while I was working as a cashier. :|

Some asshole tried to tell me I shortchanged him by an entire 50. I just repeatedly maintained that I was absolutely certain I did not and told him he was mistaken. He started screaming at me and everyone else nearby fell silent and it was all sorts of awkward. To make matters extra special, one of my dad's friends just happened to be there and got into a shouting match with this stranger. My boss came and I explained the situation and she sided with me because she, y'know, trusted my ability to not shortchange people by fifty dollars. And then she also got into a shouting match with the asshole. He eventually stormed out.

And when everything was counted the till balanced perfectly.

Magmar
17th July 2011, 09:12 AM
I got reamed out and threatened with write-ups for calling out of work the Saturday before Christmas when I was 17 and working for a BJ's Wholesale Club. My grandmother had passed away the night before, and I also had an upper respiratory infection. Doctor's notices and an obituary were required to save me from getting fired. What kind of bullshit is that. The manager had the nerve to say "Someone else called out today because of their grandmother dying already." Sorry that I was sick and heartbroken.

RedStarWarrior
18th July 2011, 03:20 AM
My manager is such a douchebag.

(I'm my own manager)

I've had horrible supervisors. Once, I was even fired due to lies that the supervisor stated. Problem is, a lot of the other people around knew she was lying. Her boss was fired for other reasons, then her new boss happened to be one of my friends (who knew she was full of shit), so it worked out in the end with the bitch getting canned. I now get stunning recommendations from my old employer instead.