PDA

View Full Version : Polls, Moles: What type of TPMer are you?

Drago
20th July 2011, 08:35 PM
1. Where would you say you're most prolific on TPM (misc, ASB, etc.)? Why do you spend so much time there, and was that always your forum of choice?

2. In your opinion, when did you start becoming noticed on TPM?

Bonus irrelevant question 3! Name one TPMer you really like, for whatever reason.

My answers... :D
1. Obviously in my case, I'm a man of misc. Not only because I apparently mod the place, but because I don't really hold enough interest in anything to really be much of a presence elsewhere. I don't have the attention to detail for ASB, I don't watch many animes, and my writing skills are questionable at best. Hence, I live here in misc, a place where discussion about nothing thrives. It's like Seinfeld, only with less M&Ms.

I used to be a regular of RPG when I first registered, having been in over 30 of them, if I recall correctly. However, a lack of patience saw my end there.

2. Funnily enough, I became a major player after most people had left. I wallowed in obscurity for the majority of my time at TPM, until roughly 2007ish. Then, I became recognizable purely through a lack of active membership. Indeed, my posting frequency grew while others' fell.

3. Way too easy for me to name Andrew or DL, so I'll go with someone I haven't met. In this case, I'll name Magmar, a TPM stalwart whose posts I always enjoy reading. He's one of the originals, and I hope he stays for years to come!

Deadwood_Zen
20th July 2011, 09:01 PM
1. Where would you say you're most prolific on TPM (misc, ASB, etc.)? Why do you spend so much time there, and was that always your forum of choice?
Probably Misc and Mt. Moon. I haven't done ASB since my last absence, and never really found inspiration for RPG. Plus, I hate my writing Dx

Um, ever since I joined, Blademaster has always been tearing into me and my posts. I kinda just drifted in on the radar, I guess, over time :P

3. Name one TPMer you really like, for whatever reason.
Just one? I haven't met anyone here I hate, so this might be hard. I REALLY love Asilynne, just because she is an amazing person both inside and out of TPM. Like, seriously, to the core of awesome, kinda thing. Kurosakura was the first person to talk to me, really. Magmar and Blade also seem really cool. Yes, I said Blademaster was cool. DragoKnight's and Heald's posts are always worth reading, and I love Mikachu's sense of humour and art. Unfortunately, I haven't really met anyone else well enough to get a better opinion on you D:

Shadow Wolf
20th July 2011, 09:57 PM

Definitely GGG! I've been there forever, and I just usually spend time there playing games. I drop by Misc every now and then and when I get a little sad a write, my works end up in Fanfiction. I think those are the three places I spend most of my time on, so they've always been my choice here. (I sometimes want to try another things -like ASB, RPG, AC/CC-, but fear has gotten the best of me.)

If I had to say time, I think my name would be heard when I became a Hangman worker. I rarely spent my time outside Pokemon Hangman, but after some time, I began playing other games and writing in other places every now and then. (I still don't consider myself as someone who has been noticed, but I know that I've given my "grain of sand" to the forums)

3. Name one TPMer you really like, for whatever reason.

Well, all the people I've befriended here on TPM are supposed to be on this list. And technically, since everyone has seen me at my bad times and helped me out, I consider them to be my friends. But if I had to choose, then a few that would make the top list would be Brian (mr_pikachu), Gavin, Gabi (Lady Vulpix), Blade, Christen (Number1ChanseyFan), Mikachu and recently, Asi.

Jeff
20th July 2011, 11:20 PM
I hang around Misc. and Mt. Moon mostly. I also venture into the games forums when they have activity and occasionally post in PCG (yes, I still call it that 'cause I'm an old fuddyduddy).

I can pinpoint it to a specific month: October 2008. Before that, I'd say I was pretty much an unknown, but then the Website Revival Project started, and I got involved with that, and by the end of the month, I was a mod.

Bonus irrelevant question 3! Name one TPMer you really like, for whatever reason.
I can't point out just one person, really. There's nobody here that I don't like, and even when I try to think of someone who's really contributed to TPM, several come to mind. Asi would probably top the list, just because of what she's done to really promote the sense of community here, like the upcoming meetup, but there are others that come close behind and deserve mention, like Lady Vulpix, mr_pikachu, Telume, and Magmar. I can't imagine where TPM would be if we didn't have just one of them.

Blademaster
20th July 2011, 11:32 PM

These days, I'm probably on Misc. the most, with RPG close behind and ASB in third. It's strange to think my initial draw here was actually none of those, but rather FANFICTION, which I never visit anymore ever since Dark Sage's reign of terror years ago scared me out. I spend most of my time on Misc. now because the Internet has made me into a jaded and sarcastic corruption of my younger self; such behavior is most welcome in Misc. and Mt. Moon. And since Mt. Moon doesn't increase postcount... There ya go.

Probably somewhere in 2007, when I started branching out from FF into ASB, Misc., and RPG.

It'd be too easy for me to list a friend or associate of some kind, so I'm going to consult the Members List on this one...

Jesus Christ. He had a catchy name.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
21st July 2011, 12:10 AM
Finally a new traditional Poll!

I started off in Pokemon Anime. I did read other forums too, but was too afraid of breaking the rules. Just as if I didn't do it in Pokemon Anime. Videogames was also dear to me. After my first period in hospital, in 2006, I came back to TPM and started posting more in Misc. That's also when I started posting at PCG games. Nowadays I think I hang out mostly in Misc and GGG, though I like other subforums too. GGG because it's an easy forum and Misc because it has the most action. Yes, I said action, not activity. But as I said, I like other subforums too and if I ever find something interesting there I always go for it.

In 2007 or 2008, when I got more free time to spend here. I started posting more and more, and somehow, through hosting Whack-a-TPMer, Girl [Game] and rising activity in GD and Misc people started to notice me. Later in 2008, I posted the thread Truth About Mikachu Yukitatsu (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17802) which gave my personality more freedom to be used at TPM.

I currently have 71 persons on my friends list, but if I had to pick one, and one who's not mentioned before in this thread, Crazy Elf Boy. I still remember how I always used to post after him in PCG games. Come back there!

mr_pikachu
21st July 2011, 02:43 AM

While I mod multiple forums, I doubt anyone would be overly surprised to hear that I'm likely most prolific in Fanfic. I've always enjoyed writing and reading (as long as the pieces I read were actually good, a goal which too many published novels manage to miss), so I suppose that explains much of my activity.

Oddly, though, I didn't originally come to TPM for fanfiction. Actually, I first stumbled upon the main site several years before finding the forum -- the online Pokedex was my primary resource for building a OHKO team in the GSC days -- and when I stumbled upon the site again, I joined the forums for the gaming part of the community. As an avid fan of the anime, though, I was quickly sucked into the now-defunct Shipping forum. At that time, several of the shippers also wrote fics featuring their favorite pairings, and their cross-forum activities inspired my eventual jump to Fanfic.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Well, it wasn't for good behavior, unfortunately. I would say that I first garnered attention when I started giving excessively harsh reviews for others' fics. Destructive criticism is bad enough, but if you read some of the fics I posted at the time, you'll realize that I had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. Anyway, that was probably sometime in 2003, if I had to guess at the timeline. This negative image was further supported about a year later: Around the time of the Fanfic Mod Contest, I started getting a little over-excited about TPM, which I poorly channeled into spammy posting habits in Fanfic. (Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that's what led to my eventual elimination from the Mod Contest.)

This is starting to get a wee bit depressing, so I should add that I likely first garnered positive attention when I pushed myself to extreme activity in Fanfic. That's not to say I was spamming -- rather, I read every update made to every fic and crafted a reply replete with compliments and suggestions for further enhancement. I was able to keep that up for a few months, I believe, and continued to reply to most fics for some time thereafter.

...Becky.

Okay, that was an obvious choice, so here's a bonus: Gavin. I've respected his cool demeanor and compassion for many years, along with his ample literary talents. It's rare to see someone with such expertise also display such humility.

In any case, Gavin and I have shared a close friendship for many years, so he makes a good answer to this question. There are many others I could name as well, like my other fellow Fanfic mods, Shonta (classy_cat18) and Tara (PancaKe); my longtime Hangman worker teammates, Louis (Shadow Wolf) and Christen (Number1ChanseyFan); Gabi (Lady Vulpix), who helped me grow a great deal in my TPM interactions; Fanficcers and Shippers of years past like ZeldaFan20, pikagurl23, and Togepretty; PCG buddies such as Kyle (Knight of Time) and Fett One; Fantasy Football friends like the commissioner, Tony (DragoKnight); and various other members, from Dragonfree to Andrew, from eevee-shayna to Jeff, from Mikachu to Chris 2.1, and from Samchu to Telume... for the sake of space, I know I've left off a bunch of people, but the point is that a lot of people on TPM hold a great deal of importance to me.

mattbcl
21st July 2011, 06:50 AM

Well, since you're asking about where I'm prolific, I'd have to say Fanfiction. That's where most of my posts seem to go, although they don't reveal as much about me as they do my writing style, which has changed a fair amount over the years. My personality, on the other hand, lurks about Misc., looking for something witty or funny or profound or inspiring to say.

Noticed? Pfff. This question implies I have been! But if we go with history, I know I started getting attention on the previous incarnation thereto, when I first began submitting Against All Odds to be read by moderators - this would have been in the realm of 2000, 2001. When you compare it to other fanfiction of the time, it was interminably long for a 15-year-old to be writing, and (if I may say so myself) a sight better than a lot of the other stuff that had been flooding in. Now it's even longer than before. Dunno about changes to the quality, though - I leave that up to the readers to tell me.

That's a tough one. I wouldn't want to name just one, but since the question asks for precisely that, I'm gonna have to go with Lady Vulpix. She's awfully down-to-Earth, reasonable, compassionate, and very kind - all of which one finds to be a sad rarity in the real world these days.

shazza
21st July 2011, 07:23 AM

It seems that since I have been lunged into the oscillating 9 to 5 rat race, my frequency – which has declined in general – has primarily been in Misc. The kind of personality that I indulge(d) in Mt. Moon requires a creative force driven from too much free time: to insightfully think perhaps a little too much about things from all angles and coming up with eccentric prose. I guess it also stems a lot from awakening the immature child (which we all have inside of us but are so prone to forget). That child can be shoved in the back of your head due to the time work consumes and the energy it takes out of you. But that’s about balance. Sorry, I digress.

Polls, Clubs & Games was the initial forum of my choice, however. It was created approximately January 2001 when I started to become relatively known amongst a much larger TPM crowd, and was excited by the addition and took full advantage of it, swiftly becoming famous (or notorious) for my countless polls, clubs and games. This all culminated when I was made moderator of it in April 2001.

I’d say early 2001. I think TPM being such a comfortable outlet of my person has been thus one of the most evident vessels of me maturing and growing up, thus reinventing myself and becoming known for different characteristics at different intervals.

I first became noticed around the forums for my naive 11 year old mentality – SPAMming, unable to follow simple rules, sucking up to moderators/administrators etc.

Then I then became noticed for my PCG obsession.

Following the demise of the initial UBB in 2002 and the rise of the ezboard, puberty concurrently kicked in and for the next 4 years or so I became a teenage troll – inspired greatly by the relatively unknown dr_steelix (and #sup and to a lesser extent #pbs).

Then I guess in the later years, I’d like to think I’ve become noticed again for the amalgamation of my insight as well as my immature albeit usually harmless humor.

I like a lot of you for different reasons, so I’ll say someone who wouldn’t expect it: I like how Heracross perseveres through sometimes unwarranted e-harassment.

Lady Vulpix
21st July 2011, 10:52 AM
GGG and its subforum AC/CC. Ever since they were created they have, in their various incarnations, been my forums of choice. I post on other forums too, of course. Especially Fanfic and Misc.

I think it was shortly after Polls & Clubs started, a few people noticed me when I joined the Dragon's Guild, and more did when I made the thread titled "This way to all adoption centers" which earned me no less than Lagi. :)

I like many, but one of them off the top of my head... Hypotenuse Man. Because he's fun to talk to and he's also responsible and persistent. I don't have enough time to write the whole list of people I really like, and believe me, the list is long. If you're wondering whether you're in it or not then you probably are. I just posted the one who came to my mind first at the time I read the question.

Also, mr_pikachu, I am honored by your post. And yes, you're in the list too. :)

Becky
21st July 2011, 11:04 AM

I post mostly in Misc, because I don't have enough experience in Pokemon (Experience...get it? Ha ha) to really post anywhere else yet. I try to post in fanfic on occasion to leave feedback for authors, sometimes games. Might try posting more in Fanart, maybe with some WIPs.

I don't know how good I am at self-perception, but I don't think I've really established myself as a TPM member yet, so I honestly don't think I've reached that point.

Well, I really like everyone I've met. Gabi's really nice and the first TPMer I chatted with, so I really hope to get to know her better. Blade's posts always get my attention, too. He strikes me as someone who isn't afraid to say what he means. Mikachu is super sweet, and Matt always has something intelligent to say, not to mention being a seriously talented writer. Speaking of excellent writers, I need to leave more feedback for Gavin's LTL!

Lady Vulpix
21st July 2011, 02:38 PM

I don't know how good I am at self-perception, but I don't think I've really established myself as a TPM member yet, so I honestly don't think I've reached that point. On the contrary, I think you gained notoriety faster than anyone else on these forums: as soon as you posted your introduction thread.

Jeff
21st July 2011, 02:48 PM
Yup, I was about to say the same thing. I think you got our attention as soon as you mentioned Brian.:P

Magmar
21st July 2011, 05:01 PM

I enjoy the Misc forum, because I'm not nearly engrossed enough in geek culture to appreciate the other forums :( I'm here because the membership is awesome! No, it was not always the forum of choice. When I was half my age, I would spend most of my time in General Pokemon discussion cuz I loved Pokemon :P

Pretty much right away. I was one of the first mods evah.

Weasel Overlord! Kirsten is pretty much fantastic. I could start naming a bunch of TPMers that I do like, and I like just about all of you, but then the few I accidentally leave out would be like "What did I do wrong?" Nonetheless, I notice most of you and appreciate you for who you are. Always speak your minds, and you can't go wrong. Even after the Bachmann topic, Roy is not on the dislike list :P I appreciate debate!

Finally if anyone wants to troll me, I will troll you right back, and if the war continues, you know and I know who would win in a fight. ;)

firepokemon
21st July 2011, 10:37 PM
1. Misc. Its always been Misc even where was no misc I was more comfortable talking about misc stuff. Sure I've posted in Pokemon Anime forum, PCG (and all its different names), RBY, GSC, Fanfic. But no where near as Misc which was home to all the drama over the years but particularly the first few years, lol.

2. Jeepers. Well I joined same day as the forums opened, March 24 2000. First few posts were absolute shockers. Asking for roms in Gold/Silver and in Pokemon Stadium forum. I would say it was after four weeks or so as I was a frequest poster and already had a number of posts. Misc threads in General were getting more noticeable and thus I posted in them. But honestly, it would have been when Misc opened up and moderation on the forums was very slack and me along with PMM and a few others complained about it. The only other thing would be when PokeMasterMisty made a post in the Pokemon Anime forum about butterfree dying in Bye Bye Butterfree. This was also the time when mod position opened up in General.

I wanted to be one but Magmar at that time was very prolific. Then of course there was the Misc mod positions. I guess that was when I became really prolific. And of course in that first year I had lied about my mother dying, got caught lying about my father dying. Dodrio was banning me constantly and I kept coming back with lots of different identities. Its just crazy the fucking drama that use to happen back then.

3. Shazza. I remember him as a wee kiddie on the forums but probably more important in the chatroom. Incredibly innocent and despite the fact I'm a bitch half the time. Especially during that time. I believe I was always particularly nice to the young people and shazza was young 11 or 12 at the time.

Gavin Luper
22nd July 2011, 12:44 PM

...Becky.

Okay, that was an obvious choice, so here's a bonus: Gavin. I've respected his cool demeanor and compassion for many years, along with his ample literary talents. It's rare to see someone with such expertise also display such humility.

In any case, Gavin and I have shared a close friendship for many years, so he makes a good answer to this question.

Mate ... thanks. Slightly embarrassed, but realistically, just humbled and appreciative and flattered. Thanks for the super nice words dude.

Fanfic.

I spend so much time there because I'm a writer and a reader, so it's my natural haunt, really. Plus I've been a mod there for years so there's the added responsibility of needing to spend time there as well as wanting to.

Though I've been a writer since childhood, I wasn't always a fanficcer on this forum. I initially was into the Anime and frequented that forum here, as well as the Anime forum at BMGf, almost exclusively back in 2000-1 before gravitating to TPM's Fanfic forum in late 2001.

These days, I'm mostly around in Fanfic and Misc. Every once in a blue moon I make a post in PCG, too.

I guess late 2001. I was just an Anime noob before that, it was only when I posted Lisa the Legend in December 2001 that suddenly it became this enormous sensation (this is back when the forums were at their peak and extremely populous and active) and I would say that is when I made a name for myself here in that regard. I was extremely active in Fanfic then so I would have been hard to miss.

Outside of Fanfic, I only ventured into Misc and Anime a bit, so it probably wasn't until I started modding in mid 2004 that I became well known to the rest of the forum members, I'd wager.

Well, I could never do this adequately with just one person, unfortunately.

Cadmus is my bf that I kind of coaxed onto TPM, so obviously I like him but I didn't meet him here.

As mr_pikachu/Brian said, he and I have had a close friendship for many years now, so he is a fitting answer, too. Aside from getting along with him as a person and seeing eye-to-eye on a number of issues, I quite admire his sheer level of commitment to TPM, and I've never known anyone on the forums as incredibly active and hardworking as he, nor have I ever encountered anyone who possesses as prodigious skills at online chess.

I also have especially close friendships with: PancaKe/Tara, who I've spent hours upon hours chatting to since we met on the forums nearly a decade ago; Andrew, who, likewise, I have known for a very long time, worked on the LTL/EBTV crossover with, and have now met in person twice; and mistysakura/Ada, a fellow Aussie and talented writer who I have also met in person on two occasions.

Also Chris 2.1, Shonta, DragoKnight, dh_13, Gabi, and all of my loyal LTL readers like Sike Saner, Dryk, Master Kirby, Becky (thanks for the mention!) among others, and a whole bunch of Misc people and mods and fanficcers, including the newer ones who I am just getting to know and the newly-identified group of TPM Wogs. Like Gabi said, if you're wondering if you're on this list, you probably are! :)

DarkestLight
22nd July 2011, 02:42 PM

Well, heh. Take one look at my username and you already know :D. I'm in ASB all damn day, but my reign has started to spread into GGG and Fanfiction and Misc..

Hrm. Very good question. I'm not an oldbie by TPM means, having joined in 2003 and barely able to keep up with my 15 thousand other online events. As time went on and college finished, I found myself drawn to ASB more and more, until I think, it was when I stared reffing my 20th simultaneous battle. Then Chris 2.0 was like "Damn...this kid is really reffing alot."

Then Hypo noticed. Then the WORLD noticed. It was pretty crazy.

HRM. Excluding DK :D!! I would hafta point out Denz (Mew Master). Kindred spirit in Sonic, Paleo and Large Midwestern states? Yeah that's too freaky of a coincidence-proving my world is infinitesimally small. This list however cannot be obtained nor maintained by one man alone, as I can think of others (BIG WEEZY comes to mind, Blade, Oslo, Rossy..the hell IS he..even Asi, who's getting far too much love...need to stop that..). Its a never ending cycle of community here, and in time Ill get to know and like everyone.

Cynder
22nd July 2011, 03:29 PM
1. Where would you say you're most prolific on TPM (misc, ASB, etc.)? Why do you spend so much time there, and was that always your forum of choice? ASB. It is what I originally joined the forums for, and where most of my posts are. I spend so much time there because it's, well, fun I guess xD I lurk a bit in misc and fanart, and occasionally the games section, but that's about it.

2. In your opinion, when did you start becoming noticed on TPM? I wouldn't say I am particularly noticed that much, but I won member of the season in ASB which is pretty hot. Hopefully I'll be more noticed over time, but it really doesn't bother me that much.

Bonus irrelevant question 3! Name one TPMer you really like, for whatever reason. Hmm, I've not been here that long, but my first official friend here gets the honour. DCM is just plain awesome. Oh yeah - all of the british TPMers get a shoutot here too.

ChobiChibi
25th July 2011, 05:04 PM
RPG, blates. I actually started in ASB, like a lot of people seem to these days. But then I discovered RPG, and ASB took a backseat and I pretty much forgot about it ^^; Then rules started to change, new pokemon were added to the list and I just kept thinking it would be too hard to get back into.

Not that long ago, really. Maybe a year ago? Basically when I kinda surfaced from RPG and realised that the rest of the board wasn't that bad. I always lurked fanfic and fanart, but never really posted in there til recently. Same with basically everywhere else. I was scared to post in misc, but I'm not sure why, everyone's lovely really :)

Crystal Tears, because we've pretty much become inseparable now, despite the ocean that separates us. And Wurzle, because I miss her a lot.

Telume
25th July 2011, 05:22 PM

Usually, Mt. Moon, Misc or Binary District

Probably when I helped out the site restoration, I don't know.

Damn it, why do I only have to pick one? But it's probably gonna have to be Gabi, I always enjoy conversing with her when she's around.

Drago
29th January 2015, 05:56 AM
/bump for the year 2015, a new era that deserves all of the leftovers from 2011. :cool2:

Magmar
30th January 2015, 05:45 PM
Tony! Hahahaha you know I did end up meeting Weasel Overlord in the UK a year after this thread was posted!! She's just as lovely as I thought she'd be, if not oodles more.

I don't think much has changed in four years, other than it's a bit quieter now =)

Dark-San
13th February 2015, 08:34 PM

TCG, OA? I have moved on from TCG these days, although I still find myself keeping up to date with the current metagame for both PTCG and YGO. OA I still watch them from time to time but there hasn't been anything real good since Brotherhood. Tokyo Ghoul has promises but the second season is shit after deviating from the manga storyline. Why do I spent most of my time there? Hobbies, what else? And was that always my forum of choice? Yes.

No idea, can't be bothered. We all have our growing up years. No need to dig out irrelevant stuffs out.

Haven't really been in contact with anyone here for years lol

Katie
14th February 2015, 09:29 AM
1. Misc / Mt Moon
2. I dunno, when did ummmm-chat start? 2002? I think that is when our chat group really got to know each other and would recognize each other on the forum itself and stuff. I never became a mod or got involved in any projects though.
3. Magmar! Because he always sounds so positive and fun :)

midnightangel
2nd March 2015, 06:44 AM
1. I've posted mostly in Misc, sometimes in Mt Moon, but mostly I come here off and on and leave.

2. I think I was noticed in the RPGS I did EONS ago, but after they finished....eh.
I just pop in occasionally...once in awhile. Like every few months 😝

Bonus question: I follow Tony (Dragoknight) on Facebook, and I used to follow a few others, but since I've been on Tumblr, I have kind of let those fall by the wayside, and for that I am sorry.