PDA

View Full Version : Australia

Asilynne
23rd July 2011, 09:54 AM
I was going to post this in the "I feel like a baby" topic since it's a bit Australia focused atm, but I don't want to shove it TOO far off subject. Mainly looking for some advice from Australians, but anyone can post here!

Ok, here's the story. I'm not going to get into all the immigration visa details but it's getting close to the time when me and Ben are needing to decide which country we're going to live in. We have visa options for either one, and we both have family in our respective countries, so it's not like we have any deciding factors there. We won't have to make a definite decision for a few months now but I'd like to gather a bit of information to help weigh the options.

Basically, I'd like some advice and info from native Australians about politics, laws, general life, job prospects, buying cars, etc of life in Australia. I could look it up but I'm not sure how biased different pages are, I've read up on these things but got conflicting information. Likewise I've been reading Australian news to try and get a feel but, just like here in America, you can't always fully rely on that ^-^() (especially the comments >.>).

So, yeah any info you could give me would be great. The two cities we are looking at are Melbourne and Adelaide, he has family in both. The more details the better! Thank you guys in advance :)

Drago
23rd July 2011, 10:36 AM
Also, there really aren't that many customs for you to be aware of, other than just general politeness. If anything, I think America's customs are more intricate, what with tipping and everything.
The way it works here in Aus, you really don't tip for anything. In my case, if it's a personalised service, one on one kind of thing where I can tell they took a real effort to help me out, I might do it, but it's more of a personal choice than a cultural thing.
One thing though, is that because you're American, some people might expect you to tip. I can't really say for sure.
Recycling my previous advice, for starters. ;)

Anyhow, let me try and address each point individually...

Politics: At a very generalised comparison, you could view our labour party as a vague democrat parallel, with the liberal party more republican, I guess.

Australia's political scene is overdue for upheaval, because both party leaders are abysmal. Julia Gillard, labour leader and our current prime minister, is a treacherous opportunist who basically turned the party against former PM Kevin Rudd. Her proposed carbon tax will probably do her in. On liberal, Tony Abbott is even worse. I usually lean towards liberal sensibilities, but I would never vote for Abbott. He's a flip-flopping moron whose unfit to lead a country.

Voting is compulsory for all Australian citizens.

Laws: Nothing terribly radical here...

General life: Incredibly straightforward. Australian life is so uncomplicated, I wonder how other countries get by. Australian culture is laidback and good-humored. Yes, you will get lots of comments on your accent. Yes, expect many ignorant assumptions.

Job prospects: Depends on your qualifications and experience. Getting started can be difficult, but if your resume is good, it's a big benefit. The job market is very competitive.

Buying cars: Can't think of too many complications. Brand new or second hand?

Etc.: An unfortunate truth: Melbourne is not a good city to be alone at night. I'm not talking ghetto here, but there's a clear abundance of shitheads looking to mess with innocent people. Mostly kids, you'll find. Frankly, I felt safer at night in England, Paris, Canada and the USA.

shazza
23rd July 2011, 11:34 AM
Politics: At a very generalised comparison, you could view our labour party as a vague democrat parallel, with the liberal party more republican, I guess.

Sadly, this is degrading into an obsolete parallel due to the uncreative drive of either party.

DarkestLight
23rd July 2011, 12:26 PM
GO TO AUSTRALIA :O!! MORE REASON FOR ME TO SHOW UP! That's your only reasoning.I have spoken, now MAKE IT SO!!

Tony, this makes two more people for Ultimate :D! It's HAPPENING!

Gavin Luper
23rd July 2011, 12:44 PM
Etc.: An unfortunate truth: Melbourne is not a good city to be alone at night. I'm not talking ghetto here, but there's a clear abundance of shitheads looking to mess with innocent people. Mostly kids, you'll find. Frankly, I felt safer at night in England, Paris, Canada and the USA.

I have to say Tony's right: this is something I and many other people I know have picked up on. When I was in England or many countries throughout Europe, when I was 18 and alone and walking through the streets at night, I felt inexplicably safe and unthreatened, even if I couldn't speak that country's language. Whereas I can go into the Perth CBD at 8pm on a Friday night and feel like I'm about to get knifed. Probably a slight exaggeration, but there is that element of idiots walking around trying to start shit. It's only if you're in a crap area, though.

Apart from that - Australian life is genuinely very laid-back and pleasant. I don't think there would really be many culture shocks coming from America. I guess your experience of the country depends on where you go and what things you're into. Do you go out clubbing and drinking, or are you more of a beach/outdoorsy person? Or a homebody?

I haven't been to Adelaide before - my perception of it is of a slightly smaller, colder Perth with more churches, but I can't say for sure. It would be significantly more low-key than Melbourne or Sydney, which are the big big cities here as you probably know. I've been to Melbourne and quite liked it, although, again, it depends where you're coming from. If you're coming to Australia with a perception of the bush and outback and stuff, obviously you're not going to find that in the cities.

I don't really know what else to add - I think you'd find it quite pleasant here. Tony's also right about the accent, though: people will often ask where you're from, or potentially skip that step and may make ignorant assumptions. But I doubt that would be a very common experience to have anyone act unpleasantly toward you.

Hope that helps!

Asilynne
23rd July 2011, 06:21 PM
Thanks to the people who have responded so far!

@DK-- Thanks for the detail! As far as jobs go, I have a lot of job experience doing various things, a few certifications but no degree...will that hurt me? I would like to see about getting into nursing but I'm not sure if anyone does free training or if I would have to pay for classes. I have thought about volunteering as an EMT over here while I'm waiting for my visa to process but I don't know if I will have time. And for a car, I usually buy used from owners but my dad won't be in Australia so I can't get it repaired for free :< So I guess any kind of car. Is credit score global?

Shazza-- Can you elaborate? I don't know much about the Australian political system, not in detail anyway and I'm interested :)

DL- XD

GL-- Again thanks for the detail! I've been to one club and though it was fun its not really my scene. I like being outside in nature the most, or exploring cultural things like museums and art galleries. I did like Adelaide when I went in Feb 2010, it seemed like a nice city and not too big, I grew up in a rural area so even American cities like Baltimore sort of make me feel out of place a bit.

Another question for anyone-- How is housing? Like renting an apt or something, how are the utilities done? Also, health insurance. Phone and internet, and international phone calls? Thank you guys again!

Blademaster
23rd July 2011, 08:24 PM
I have a bad feeling about this...

classy_cat18
23rd July 2011, 08:49 PM
I got a question, and feel free to kick me if it's too offensive!

Is it true that everything is trying to kill you over there?

Gavin Luper
23rd July 2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks to the people who have responded so far!

@DK-- Thanks for the detail! As far as jobs go, I have a lot of job experience doing various things, a few certifications but no degree...will that hurt me? I would like to see about getting into nursing but I'm not sure if anyone does free training or if I would have to pay for classes. I have thought about volunteering as an EMT over here while I'm waiting for my visa to process but I don't know if I will have time. And for a car, I usually buy used from owners but my dad won't be in Australia so I can't get it repaired for free :< So I guess any kind of car. Is credit score global?

As a banker I feel I may be able to answer that one. My experience is that your credit score is not global. If you try to get credit over here and we run a credit check on you, it will probably have to create a new file and won't automatically find any bad credit you have in the US. However, it's in your best interests to tell the truth if you have any existing debts over in the US as you'll still be committed to paying those back, and overcommitting will only result in you defaulting on everything eventually, so I always say the truth is your friend when it comes to credit. Also, be aware that you will find it difficult (not impossible) to get credit if you are not a permanent resident. If it's a secured loan ie. has an asset attached to it, though, like a car, you'd have better luck, I'd wager. Some banks have different policies, too, so shop around and ask banks and car dealers about finance before you actually do any credit checks against you - getting a decline will hurt your future prospects for credit, so just ask them questions without doing a full application for anything first.

GL-- Again thanks for the detail! I've been to one club and though it was fun its not really my scene. I like being outside in nature the most, or exploring cultural things like museums and art galleries. I did like Adelaide when I went in Feb 2010, it seemed like a nice city and not too big, I grew up in a rural area so even American cities like Baltimore sort of make me feel out of place a bit.

I'm a rural kid myself so that's why Perth currently suits me on some levels, and Adelaide is similar but slightly smaller. If you liked it the first time that's probably a good indicator. Melbourne would be bigger and busier.

Another question for anyone-- How is housing? Like renting an apt or something, how are the utilities done? Also, health insurance. Phone and internet, and international phone calls? Thank you guys again!

Probably the same as in the US. You check the websites and papers for rental properties, call or email to view it and put an application in. I don't know what rent is like in terms of expense in the US so I can't really compare.

Utilities - depends. All the places I've rented, I've just had to pay gas (natural gas) and electricity. Water is usually paid by the landlord but you may have to pay it, depending.

Health insurance - if you're not a permanent resident, again, I'm not sure about this. You need your PR to get Medicare. You can get health insurance without medicare and a PR, I believe, but it costs more. I'm not an expert though so research into that.

Phones - I think it's quite easy to go to a phone shop and get set up with a new mobile phone. Same with the internet connection - just visit a shop and they'll help you out.

Some quick notes on terminology that you're probably already aware of:

- We say we need "fuel" or "petrol" when we need to fill up our cars; if you say "gas" at a service station people will either look at you weirdly or try to give you a bottle of natural gas for your barbeque.

- We say "mobile phone", not "cell phone". People will know what you mean if you say cell phone, but again, you'll get slightly quizzical/judgmental looks.

- If someone asks "how's it going?" as they walk past you in the street/wherever, the correct response is "how's it going?" back. It's like saying hello. If someone nods swiftly and says "how ya goin?" as they breeze past you, just say it back; if you go, "well, i'm okay I guess, but I haven't been feeling well lately", they will a) not even hear you because they kept walking or b) think you're a nutbar. Of course, if you're sitting down for a cuppa with some friends and someone says "so, how ARE ya?", this IS inviting conversation haha. Just follow your nose with this. I just thought I'd mention it because it's something my overseas friends have commented on before.

- Very few people still speak like Steve Irwin. Just a heads up. Although if you've been here already, you probably know that already.

I got a question, and feel free to kick me if it's too offensive!

Is it true that everything is trying to kill you over there?

Hehehe. No. There are lots of dangerous animals here, but mostly just in the rural and regional areas, not so much in the cities! When you live in a smaller town in the bush you really just learn how to not put yourself in danger ie. don't be stupid and go bushwalking in summer near a river, or don't swim out into a rip.

The most common confrontations with the wildlife would be spiders and bugs, most of which you would just take on with a shoe. Redback spiders are quite dangerous and quite common. We've had quite a few goannas and snakes in my backyard back home, but again, I live in the Midwest. Usually you will have the number of a snake handler who you can call and they'll come out and catch it for you, or, when I was a kid and my old man was home, he'd just go out and behead the snake with a shovel. That's all the dangerous encounters I can really think of to be honest. You will see loads of birds and foxes and roos and wallabies and emus and the occasional echidna on the roads in my area, but none of them are really dangerous per se (well, I guess some of them are, but they don't really pose a day-to-day threat, you know?).

I hope that helps. I don't really notice it because I grew up here. I'm sure you guys have dangerous wildlife in the US anyway, right?

DarkestLight
24th July 2011, 10:05 AM
I hope that helps. I don't really notice it because I grew up here. I'm sure you guys have dangerous wildlife in the US anyway, right?

Eh. Rural areas have more animals than cities, though my city is notorious for zoo breakouts :/

Leon-IH
25th July 2011, 04:04 AM
Basically, I'd like some advice and info from native Australians about politics, laws, general life, job prospects, buying cars, etc of life in Australia.

Politics: Both the Liberal and Labor parties (Liberals = moderate right.. or were, they're moving further right by the second and Labor is basically a centrist party -- these are the big two of Australian politics) are full of morons who seem to bend too easily at the knees (especially where the mining sector is concerned), the only noteworthy third party is the Greens (who would be considered far left in America, but over here they're not that far left). Voting is compulsory.

Laws: Common sense stuff, don't do things that will harm others and don't make a dick if yourself to/around the police.

Jobs: Plenty of jobs, but it depends on your qualifications - I saw you mention nursing which I believe you would have to pay for (nursing is a university course over here).

Life: It's good if you don't mind the scorching summers.

As I have never bought a car I'm not qualified to answer the question about them.

Housing: Rent is pretty pricey in the major cities, rural and regional areas however are pretty good though actually getting a place can be a pain in the arse though. Typically you apply to rent properties through a real estate agent and the rent is deducted from your bank account at whatever the agreed rate is - usually you're expected to sign a lease for a certain period of time, however it's common that if you want to stay on after a year or two you'll just keep paying the same rate and not have to sign on for a specific period of time (though you do still have to give notice for when you're leaving). Breaking a lease early will cost you money.

Utilities: Gas and Electricity are ordered from a private company, Water is usually through the regional water authority and use is restricted one way or another in most areas so I'd recommend checking with the appropriate city council (they have websites) what restrictions apply.

Health Insurance: Private Health Insurance exists here and is a viable option however getting them to pay up can be a pain in the arse, I've known people who just put money away in a spare bank account at the same rate they'd pay for insurance and just use that instead. There is a level of public cover provided by the government but you often have to pay some (or all in certain cases) of the costs of your treatment depending on your condition.

Phone and International Calls: Most telephone services in Australia are provided by Telstra or Optus though many Internet providers also on-sell their products -- some people buy through them depending on if the plan suits their needs, I personally have the most basic Telstra home phone plan as I only really need a phone line for the internet.

Internet: Most internet with decent speeds is ADSL - you can get "Naked" ADSL (meaning no phone line), but generally it's more expensive -- the government is working on a fibre optic network but it's going to be a ways off yet. Beyond that the internet here is reasonable (though probably slower than what is normal in America), there is very little Cable internet.

I suggest comparing internet prices on http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/ (though they are not 100% accurate).

dragonrain
28th July 2011, 12:56 AM
Internet: Most internet with decent speeds is ADSL - you can get "Naked" ADSL (meaning no phone line), but generally it's more expensive -- the government is working on a fibre optic network but it's going to be a ways off yet.
What do you mean by "a ways off yet"? The NBN has been enabled for over a year in some areas. :rolleyes:

Magmar
28th July 2011, 07:42 AM
I have a random question for all you Aussies!

Once upon a time (a couple years ago), I read a news article that seemed to insinuate that Australia has issues with people knifing random pedestrians. Is this still happening? If so, what's the reality of it?

shazza
28th July 2011, 07:58 AM
The reality is that walking the streets of Melbourne on a Saturday night is much like a game of knife-only CS. It's fun!

Magmar
28th July 2011, 07:59 AM
Well, it's pretty dumb to walk in ANY city alone at night, but I gander there's safety in numbers? :P

Drago
28th July 2011, 10:18 PM
A great deal of it is about where you go. There's one Hungry Jack's (Burger King) where there has been four stabbings this year alone. Knife crime is a problem in Melbourne, but unfortunately the government is focussing their police efforts on things like cracking down on ecstasy and weed. It's the result of an inept government's failed attempts at crime prevention. I'd say our police force is okay, active and present, but all resources are being misplaced.

With regards to safety in numbers, don't be so sure. Because oftentimes, their numbers are greater.

Another thing about Melbourne: our public transport system is horrible. I've compared it to those of London, Paris, New York, San Francisco and Calgary, and Melbourne fails every time. They operate on two ticketing systems for metropolitan transport: the older Metcards, which were working fine, and myki. God, how I hate myki. In theory, it should work like the ticketing systems in London and Singapore: you put money on it, and deduct it as you travel. However, it's taken years and billions of dollars to get it into place, and a large number of buses still have ones that don't work.

I'm sticking with the Metcard as long as I can. Metcard goes across two zones. One, which is the city and the inner suburbs, and two, which goes out to the outer suburbs. Any further, say to Ballarat, requires a V/Line ticket. More expensive, but compared to the cost of getting between London and Manchester, it's minuscule.

There are a few different kinds of Metcard; the two most common being a daily and 2-hour. Daily is self-explanatory: it is valid for the entirety of the day you validate it* (with an exception, see below). 2-hour will last for two hours from the next hour after you validate it. So if you validate at 1:30, it will roll over and be valid until 4. If you can validate right after the hour, you essentially get a three hour ticket.

After 6 PM, 2-hour tickets change to last until 3 AM. So obviously, when traveling after 6, always get the 2-hour. *Also, because of this system that the day lasts until 3 AM, never validate a daily ticket between midnight and 3 AM. Because their 'day' lasts until 3 AM, your daily ticket will have expired yesterday. I shit you not.

Do international folks get concession entitlement? I need to look into that. Effectively, it means you get some things cheaper. Sorry about all the rambling about public transport; as you can tell, I use it very often.

Gavin Luper
29th July 2011, 06:00 AM
A great deal of it is about where you go. There's one Hungry Jack's (Burger King) where there has been four stabbings this year alone. Knife crime is a problem in Melbourne, but unfortunately the government is focussing their police efforts on things like cracking down on ecstasy and weed. It's the result of an inept government's failed attempts at crime prevention. I'd say our police force is okay, active and present, but all resources are being misplaced.

I feel sorry for you Victorians - you got stuck with Ted Baillieu. Have you been fined for swearing, yet?

ChobiChibi
29th July 2011, 06:18 AM
You've had positive experience of London's transport system? Lucky! Almost every time I go, something goes wrong. From the ticket I've bought not working in the machines to closing major parts of the route I was planning to take (WHY they always close the Victoria line at the weekend of the MCM Expo, I don't know).

But I suppose it seems a whole lot less complicated than the system you described there. And yes, train fares are really expensive. To go up and see Weasel Overlord all the way up north, it would cost me around the £50 mark, return, with my railcard. In advance. When I could get down to Uni (takes about 2 hours less, I think) for under £10 if I buy far enough in advance. Stupid trains. Better than coaches.

Drago
29th July 2011, 07:57 AM
I feel sorry for you Victorians - you got stuck with Ted Baillieu. Have you been fined for swearing, yet?
No, but I did have an Irn-Bru confiscated for suspicion of alcoholic content. :(

Gavin Luper
29th July 2011, 09:14 AM
No, but I did have an Irn-Bru confiscated for suspicion of alcoholic content. :(

Good lord. Our country is fucked.

Leon-IH
5th August 2011, 11:11 PM
What do you mean by "a ways off yet"? The NBN has been enabled for over a year in some areas. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's available for like .01% of the population right now, and because it's being rolled out to rural areas first (due to the government having to blow those fucking country independents to get the law through) it's not going to be available to the majority of the eventual recipients until near the END of the NBN project.

Asilynne
8th August 2011, 09:47 AM
From what I'm seeing lately with the US economy, would it be a good idea to move to Australia instead of Ben coming back here? I wouldn't want us to settle down here if it's just going to be way worse off than where he lives if we have the option to live in either place.

That being said, what sorts of jobs are hiring the most in Australia? I know I asked how hard it is to get a job already but I'm not sure what they are hiring the most, and I can always prepare for that by getting certs now.

I guess the reason why I'm asking my first question is because the USD is falling a good deal and we really don't care which country we live in as long as we're together, and if Australia proves to be in better shape financially it would make more sense to go there.

Gavin Luper
9th August 2011, 10:35 AM
Well, it's hard to say at the moment given how volatile the global economy is right now. And even experts and leaders have realistically no idea what will happen next, either in the short term or the long term, so asking TPMers will be riskier still!

That said, I believe Australia's economy is faring better than most western economies at the moment, certainly better than most of the EU and the US. Unemployment is still very low, there is still economic growth, etc. That said, the retail sector is really sluggish at the moment, so if you're going for a retail job, I don't know, you might have some difficulty landing something decent.

Mining jobs/jobs working up on the mines are always in high demand and pay EXCEPTIONALLY well. Usually well upwards of $100k per annum, and this kind of money is going to skilled 18-year-old bogans. It mostly involves labouring, driving, engineering kind of jobs I believe, and lots of fly-in, fly-out work in the outback kind of environments, so ... that possibly is not what you/Ben are looking for. But it is probably the best-paying job out there at the moment.

What kind of job would you be looking for? What's your experience?

Asilynne
9th August 2011, 11:02 AM
I have experience in a few totally unrelated things XD I have a lot of customer service/retail exp, but I don't really LIKE it, I have experience with receptionist duties in a medical setting, veterinary assistant, a lot of working with animals experience actually. I have a lot of restaurant experience (in the kitchen not serving), installing satellite dishes and routing cable, working in a post office, and working with/teaching kids. And I'm getting my DCJS and CPR certification this month :)

So yeah, a lot of random experience. I would like to get a job working with animals again, or with kids, those being my preferred jobs. But really I can learn to do anything and as long as it didn't kill my body TOO much and it paid well I personally don't care what I do. The only things I'd rather not do is heavy physical labor, overnight shifts, piecework paid jobs, heavily commissioned based jobs, and taking my clothes off XD

Gavin Luper
9th August 2011, 11:07 AM
I have experience in a few totally unrelated things XD I have a lot of customer service/retail exp, but I don't really LIKE it, I have experience with receptionist duties in a medical setting, veterinary assistant, a lot of working with animals experience actually. I have a lot of restaurant experience (in the kitchen not serving), installing satellite dishes and routing cable, working in a post office, and working with/teaching kids. And I'm getting my DCJS and CPR certification this month :)

So yeah, a lot of random experience. I would like to get a job working with animals again, or with kids, those being my preferred jobs. But really I can learn to do anything and as long as it didn't kill my body TOO much and it paid well I personally don't care what I do. The only things I'd rather not do is heavy physical labor, overnight shifts, piecework paid jobs, heavily commissioned based jobs, and taking my clothes off XD

What's a DCJS, out of interest?

And MAN, that's a lot of jobs! You've done a lot by the sounds of it.

I have absolutely no idea what the market is like for childcare/teaching/vet/animal work jobs. All I can contribute is that if you decide to do something working with children, you will need to apply for a Working With Children Check at a Post Office before you commence the job.

Restaurant/cust service jobs you should be fine to find something I reckon if you've got the right visa and the right attitude, especially in Melb.

Asilynne
9th August 2011, 12:10 PM
What's a DCJS, out of interest?

And MAN, that's a lot of jobs! You've done a lot by the sounds of it.

I have absolutely no idea what the market is like for childcare/teaching/vet/animal work jobs. All I can contribute is that if you decide to do something working with children, you will need to apply for a Working With Children Check at a Post Office before you commence the job.

Restaurant/cust service jobs you should be fine to find something I reckon if you've got the right visa and the right attitude, especially in Melb.

:D some of these things I did at the same job, I just like to cross train myself everywhere. I get bored if I do the same exact thing over and over and there's nothing left to learn...

As for DCJS: http://www.securcorp.com/contents.php?id=19 ;D

Gavin Luper
10th August 2011, 06:50 AM
:D some of these things I did at the same job, I just like to cross train myself everywhere. I get bored if I do the same exact thing over and over and there's nothing left to learn...

As for DCJS: http://www.securcorp.com/contents.php?id=19 ;D

Holy crap, DCJS sounds awesome! I want a job like that!

Hmmmmm ... need to do some research ... there must be an Australian equivalent!

Asilynne
10th August 2011, 09:33 AM
Holy crap, DCJS sounds awesome! I want a job like that!

Hmmmmm ... need to do some research ... there must be an Australian equivalent!

Ask and you shall receive...http://xlsecuritytraining.com.au/perth-security-training-courses :D

DarkestLight
10th August 2011, 09:54 AM
Mining jobs/jobs working up on the mines are always in high demand and pay EXCEPTIONALLY well. Usually well upwards of $100k per annum, and this kind of money is going to skilled 18-year-old bogans. It mostly involves labouring, driving, engineering kind of jobs I believe, and lots of fly-in, fly-out work in the outback kind of environments, so ... that possibly is not what you/Ben are looking for. But it is probably the best-paying job out there at the moment.

?

Silly geologist like me could do that for a year and be done with it all :/, bill wise. I just dun like mines :/

Gavin Luper
10th August 2011, 10:20 AM
Asi: So cool, thank you! But omg ... so expensive! I need to start crapping money to afford one of those courses. So awesome.

DL: You're a geologist? COME TO OZ. You'll be rich. [Disclaimer: can't guarantee that.]

Leon-IH
11th August 2011, 05:07 AM

Large parts of this are folklore.

Mining jobs are generally highly sought after with tons of applicants (especially the less skilled ones), and have absurdly low job security (read: if we take another GFC like hit they'll fire 2-3x as many staff as the other sectors).

You do get paid well in the short term, but it's high risk and doesn't always pay well in the long run because of the high rates of retrenchment & long periods of unemployment that can follow.

Gavin Luper
11th August 2011, 07:36 AM
Large parts of this are folklore.

Mining jobs are generally highly sought after with tons of applicants (especially the less skilled ones), and have absurdly low job security (read: if we take another GFC like hit they'll fire 2-3x as many staff as the other sectors).

You do get paid well in the short term, but it's high risk and doesn't always pay well in the long run because of the high rates of retrenchment & long periods of unemployment that can follow.

It's not folklore. I'm basing this on 1) living in WA, 2) loads of my mates and other people I grew up with getting jobs in the mining sector quite easily and getting paid really well, and 3) processing credit applications for miners who do fly-in, fly-out work and, assessing their payslips for this on a regular basis, I can guarantee you that they do get paid exceptionally well, and that a lot of these people earning $100k+ per annum are, as I said, 18-year-old bogans.

I agree it's a high risk job, of course - but that explains the high pay.

Blademaster
11th August 2011, 12:28 PM
What exactly is there to mine in Western Australia? I know I rag on Oz a lot, but I've looked at maps, and Western Australia just looks like a colossal desert wasteland to me, sans a few parts of the coast. What is there to export besides several billion tons of sand?

DarkestLight
11th August 2011, 04:41 PM
Blade, Diamonds. Basically I'd be mining what I used to grade, so I'd be in familiar waters.

Gavin Luper
11th August 2011, 07:49 PM
What exactly is there to mine in Western Australia? I know I rag on Oz a lot, but I've looked at maps, and Western Australia just looks like a colossal desert wasteland to me, sans a few parts of the coast. What is there to export besides several billion tons of sand?

Fuckloads of Iron Ore, Oil, Natural Gas and Gold, amongst a bunch of other things, but those are probably the biggest ones I'd say.

The aforementioned desert wasteland aka the Outback is full of minerals and iron ore etc. A lot of the oil and gas come from rigs just off the coast, I believe.

Leon-IH
11th August 2011, 07:52 PM
It's not folklore. I'm basing this on 1) living in WA, 2) loads of my mates and other people I grew up with getting jobs in the mining sector quite easily and getting paid really well, and 3) processing credit applications for miners who do fly-in, fly-out work and, assessing their payslips for this on a regular basis, I can guarantee you that they do get paid exceptionally well, and that a lot of these people earning $100k+ per annum are, as I said, 18-year-old bogans.

I agree it's a high risk job, of course - but that explains the high pay.

Like I say, they do get paid for a while. However it's high risk employment and also highly sought after; the mining sector is as likely to be the death of our economy as the salvation IMO.

Gavin Luper
11th August 2011, 08:52 PM
Like I say, they do get paid for a while. However it's high risk employment and also highly sought after; the mining sector is as likely to be the death of our economy as the salvation IMO.

It is worrying that we don't seem to have a longer-term economic strategy, I agree!

Asilynne
11th August 2011, 09:44 PM
I don't know if Western Australia has it but I know they mine opals in Adelaide or nearby anyway! I'm not looking to do that hardcore backbreaking work though, I've done enough of that in my life and I'm not as young as I used to be, the 18 year old bogans can have it lol

mr_pikachu
11th August 2011, 10:30 PM
Blade, Diamonds. Basically I'd be mining what I used to grade, so I'd be in familiar waters.

You used to grade diamonds? That's pretty cool... it must be a hard job, though. I'm somewhat familiar with all the characteristics on which diamonds are judged, so I have a healthy appreciation for the profession.

Also, I'm amazed at the salary for mining... is the $100K figure in U.S. or Australian dollars, Gavin?

EDIT: Okay, according to the current exchange rate ($1 USD = $0.981051 AUD), my question doesn't really matter much. Dang.

Leon-IH
12th August 2011, 03:46 AM
It is worrying that we don't seem to have a longer-term economic strategy, I agree!

Personally my take would be to tax the mining industry more heavily (resource tax should be 50% instead of 30% imo, however it should be used to form a sovereign wealth fund like what Norway has), discourage population growth, and cease importing workers for mines immediately.

However I have longstanding issues with the belief that economic growth (read: inflation) is somehow a positive force.