PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Norway Attacks

Heald
25th July 2011, 02:44 PM
I have a lot of opinions on this and will post later, but I just think it's a complete joke that a talentless hag gets her own thread with you idiots bawwwing over it and something that's actually genuinely tragic gets completely overlooked.

Discuss.

ChobiChibi
25th July 2011, 03:10 PM
Well, erm, I was gonna kinda say how I was surprised there wasn't already a topic about this, but you kinda beat me to it O_o

It's been a lot like that in the media too, lets be honest. But the guy they caught? Wow. Just wow. He must be on some massive psycho ego trip whilst he talks about how he'd plotted it all for years...

Deadwood_Zen
25th July 2011, 04:12 PM
Wow, glad to see no alternate motives here. Nice one, Heald.

This is truly depressing, in all honestly. All the ingredients for his bombs were household materials, and something anyone with a degree(or even some basic classes in) Chemistry could make. Hell, even an Anarchist's Cookbook bought online or at a store woudl do you the job.

I was under the assumption that ALL government track their people, so wouldn't they notice someone purchasing over 6 tons of fertilizer, which is a common ingredient in bombs? He would need a huge fucking garden to use all of that as actual fertilizer. This is the part where I have to ask if the government(even the "secret" branch that tracks this all) knew about this and deliberately allowed it all(and why), or if they're just plain stupid?

Heald
25th July 2011, 04:38 PM
I was under the assumption that ALL government track their people, so wouldn't they notice someone purchasing over 6 tons of fertilizer, which is a common ingredient in bombs? He would need a huge fucking garden to use all of that as actual fertilizer. This is the part where I have to ask if the government(even the "secret" branch that tracks this all) knew about this and deliberately allowed it all(and why), or if they're just plain stupid?
There were two major failings here by intelligence. One is that he bought the fertiliser through a farming business he set up as a front. I wonder if he actually produced any produce, as surely to make it seem legitimate he would actually had to have been growing and selling his harvests. As such, the intelligence agencies turned a blind-eye because his purchase seemed legitimate.

The second failing was that he was being monitored by intelligence because of his purchase of illegal chemicals from a Polish man. However, as a man with no prior criminal history - and since over twenty people or so were also on this same list - they did not follow it up.

The fact is something like, perhaps, was not completely unavoidable. This man was effectively a null - he did not flag up on anyone's radars, or those radars he did appear on, he was being masked by what appeared to be bigger threats, like when looking for an enemy and the noise you thought you shrug off as just a cat. It would be next to impossible, unless you began tracking every citizen's move and purchase, both at home and abroad, to have prevented him from doing this, although I'm sure a slew of new measures that aim to prevent such an atrocity occurring again will follow this. The phrase 'closing the door after the horse has bolted' comes to mind. As I mentioned before, a man with no apparent history that would indicate he would not only be capable but willing to carry out these attacks would be near impossible to detect without some wide-ranging government surveillance program. Such a program would only make it harder for the next person to attack, not stop or deter him.

The one thing is those who have gotten that far in life with no blemishes on their record have the willpower to destroy their life in order to fulfil their beliefs. However, as these events have shown us, it only takes one.

mr_pikachu
26th July 2011, 01:44 AM
The one thing is those who have gotten that far in life with no blemishes on their record have the willpower to destroy their life in order to fulfil their beliefs. However, as these events have shown us, it only takes one.

That's probably the scariest thing of all, considering Breivik's record. Realistically, no government has the resources to track all of its citizens all of the time, which is why they resort to profiling, whether racial, psychological, etc. But how is one supposed to profile good behavior? Given that psychological profiles are particularly vital for terrorism prevention, I imagine that Breivik's case will be a hot topic for forensic psychologists in the near future.

Leon-IH
26th July 2011, 03:38 AM
Goes to show that terrorists can come from anywhere and that it's virtually impossible to avoid. When things like this happen I sure wish we'd never worked out the idea of gunpowder.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
26th July 2011, 04:28 AM
I was also wondering why there wasn't a thread about this earlier on already.

Anyway, one thing I am glad about. The trial wasn't public. Breivik admitted he did it, but also said that what he did wasn't wrong already, so just think about how he could have provocated people in front of the whole world. I don't get those poeple who now blame the court for useless secrecy. I wouldn't have liked to see Breivik ranting about his twisted 'ideology', neither in the internet nor in TV.

mr_pikachu
26th July 2011, 08:11 AM
It looks like Breivik's lawyer is already arguing that his client is insane (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/07/26/501364/main20083367.shtml). Considering the "knight" persona that Breivik built up for himself, it's a defense that might actually work, provided any supporting evidence goes beyond the 76 lives lost in tugging at the jury's hearts. One thing I will say, though, is that for someone supposedly disconnected from reality, Breivik was awfully articulate in detailing his deception strategy within his manifesto (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14267007).

Also, it appears that Norway's intelligence agency [URL=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/norway/8661084/Norway-killer-Anders-Behring-Breivik-came-to-attention-of-intelligence-services-in-March.html]did have an eye on Breivik... they just didn't act aggressively enough to prevent this tragedy. I guess he wasn't completely under the radar after all. It's a pity that being noticed wasn't enough to derail his plans....

Dark Sage
26th July 2011, 08:47 AM
I'm glad that they found a judge who actually has some common sense. One who wouldn't cave into the media and give this lunatic the public platform he wanted. That's the whole problem with high-profile cases these days, too much interference by the media.

Classtoise
27th July 2011, 12:00 PM
I have a lot of opinions on this and will post later, but I just think it's a complete joke that a talentless hag gets her own thread with you idiots bawwwing over it and something that's actually genuinely tragic gets completely overlooked.

Discuss.
;_; But Amy was a songstress who was talented and strong and beautiful and and and

What the hells a Norway?

Also, I like the media gymnastics Fox is doing to try and pin this guy as a liberal psycho, despite the fact that he openly calls the Tea Party Movement his brothers in arms over in the US.
It's like...a horrible tragedy goes down.
And their first thought is "How can we use this to fight our own battles?"

Classy.

Deadwood_Zen
27th July 2011, 11:38 PM
Also, I like the media gymnastics Fox is doing to try and pin this guy as a liberal psycho, despite the fact that he openly calls the Tea Party Movement his brothers in arms over in the US.
It's like...a horrible tragedy goes down.
And their first thought is "How can we use this to fight our own battles?"

Classy.
AHMERIKA!

Becky
28th July 2011, 06:08 PM

Discuss.

Heald, I agree with you completely. I've been meaning to post to the Amy Winehouse thread, except that I can't think of much to say, particularly when there are other tragedies occurring in the world. There's not a lot that I can say that hasn't already been addressed, but what I can offer is agreement and empathy..

Whitlea
28th July 2011, 07:21 PM
I'm glad that they found a judge who actually has some common sense. One who wouldn't cave into the media and give this lunatic the public platform he wanted. That's the whole problem with high-profile cases these days, too much interference by the media.
I completely agree with everything this fantastic person has said.

I'm still trying to get over the fact that a mother who killed her child walked away free
just because of the general media not that long ago. Just... Why? Seriously?