PDA

View Full Version : The Translator [GAME] (LV Approved)

Mikachu Yukitatsu
29th July 2011, 11:35 PM
Welcome to The Translator [GAME]
Admin Approved by Lady Vulpix

I got this weird idea a while ago, let's see if it works. This game is an exception to the wait-for-two-other-persons-to-post rule. However, you may only post five times a day.

The purpose of this game is to gather points by posting translations of existing TPM replies, tracking them down and discussing the translations as well. Mt. Moon replies ar not allowed to be used.

Each post in this thread represents one point, unless it's spam. Or Mikachu's post.

Also, asking for clarifications in the rules is allowed, but posts that consist only of rule-related questions won't give you points.

What to post here then? You can freely assume three 'Roles' here, and switch between them, even in the same post.

Role 1: 'TRANSLATOR': Bring a translation of a TPM reply.
You may use a translator program like Google Translator, Babel Fish or your own skills.

Role 2: 'TRACKER': Track down an original TPM reply somebody else translated here.
You may again use a translator program like Google Translator, Babel Fish or your own skills. And TPM search function, speed is an advantage.

Role 3: 'DEBATER': Discuss a translation of a TPM reply.
After you or somebody else has tracked down a reply, you can discuss the translation. Point out grammar mistakes, typos, fix expressions and stuff.

Mikachu Yukitatsu will pop out here time after time updating the score table or even translating, tracking out or discussing himself, just remember that he won't get points for his replies.

No actual sign-ups are needed for this game, but in your first post, you may want to state what languages you can do or, let's say, specialize in. An order from best to worst would be appreciated.

Now I begin this by stating the languages I can do. Or try at least.

Finnish
Swedish
Japanese
French
Spanish
Mandarin Chinese
German

Also, who can track down these TPM replies and/or discuss the translations?

464 Rhinastoc
Pour quelque raison obscure, Game Freak avait besoin de dépasser Rhinocorne et Rhinoferos avec ce Pokemon. Commercez votre Rhinoferos avec un Protector pour obtenir cette évolution. Rhinastoc utilise ses muscles pour jeter des pierres, et apparemment, parfois Racaillous aussi.

Ahaha, Karhu, odotahan vain kun näet mitä olen suunnitellut sinulle. Se ei ole ennustettavaa tai mitään.

Mikachu:

Tuntuu siltä että minun täytyy selittää. Aioin antaa sinulle Suomen lipun värisen Pikachun mutta sitten muistin että Pachirisu on aika lailla oikean värinen joten ole hyvä.

FLAAFFY <333 minä <3 sinua CT X3
... Ja Jigglypuff on melko tarkka, otaksun, Karhunnaama >_>

¡Gracias, mi amigo! *guarda los capítulos de LTL para leer en un avión*

mr_pikachu
30th July 2011, 11:08 AM
464 Rhinastoc
Pour quelque raison obscure, Game Freak avait besoin de dépasser Rhinocorne et Rhinoferos avec ce Pokemon. Commercez votre Rhinoferos avec un Protector pour obtenir cette évolution. Rhinastoc utilise ses muscles pour jeter des pierres, et apparemment, parfois Racaillous aussi.

464 RHYPERIOR
For some odd reason, Game Freak had to top Rhyhorn and Rhydon with this Pokemon. Trade your Rhydon with a Protector to get this evolution. Rhyperior uses its muscles to shoot rocks, and apparently, sometimes also Geodudes.

Do I score the first point? :)

Mikachu Yukitatsu
30th July 2011, 02:17 PM
Yes, mr_pikachu, that's a good beginning.

By the way, Google Translate translates my reply to French as here:

464 RHYPERIOR
Pour une raison étrange, Game Freak a en haut et Rhyhorn Rhydon avec ce Pokémon. Echangez votre Rhydon avec un Protecteur pour obtenir cette évolution. Rhyperior utilise ses muscles pour tirer des roches, et apparemment, parfois Geodudes aussi.

I'm not sure, but it seems that it mistakes 'top' for 'over' or 'above'. Also, what's 'et' dong there? And then, there should be the French names of the Pokemon. Other than that, I think I could have trusted on Google Translate quite safely. In fact, I used both Google Translator and my own brains when I translated that. I studied French for three years in High School. Perhaps somebody else could point out more mistakes.

Hopefully this game isn't too boring, languages that differ more from each other could have more interesting translations. Everyone can copypaste TPM replies to Google Translate, but such translations may receive some critique especially if someone here actually knows the language in question.

SCORE:
mr_pikachu: 1 point

Lady Vulpix
1st August 2011, 01:27 PM
I've tracked down this message:

Thanks, mate! *is saving chapters of LTL to read on the plane*

The translation was mostly good, but "the plane" in Spanish is "el avión", not "un avión". The latter would be "a plane". And "guarda" would translate to "saves", while "is saving" would be "está guardando".

Mikachu Yukitatsu
2nd August 2011, 12:24 PM
Lady Vulpix gets one point as well. I always have trouble with articles no matter what the language is. You see, Finnish doesn't have articles.

Some new quotes to track down:

Beviljats. De är verkliga hus som kostar dig tusentals dollarer att skapa.

Jag önskar att jag hade några fisk och chips.

啊,卡比兽的爱!太谢谢你了,米卡丘!

通念にも関わらず, 僕はブレードが嫌いではありませんよ!

変ですね?

SCORE:
Lady Vulpix: 1
mr_pikachu: 1

Lady Vulpix
2nd August 2011, 02:13 PM
Did you translate this into Chinese?

Ahh, Snorlax love! Thanks so much, Mikachu!

I didn't know Snorlax was called 卡比兽 in Chinese, but I guess it makes sense if it was translated from Japanese.

But why the 了? And why did you translate Mikachu as Mikaqiu? Then again that's your name and you can translate it as you like.

mr_pikachu
2nd August 2011, 07:45 PM
Beviljats. De är verkliga hus som kostar dig tusentals dollarer att skapa.

Jag önskar att jag hade några fisk och chips.

I'm pretty sure that matches the following:

Granted. They're actual houses that cost you thousands of dollars to make.

I wish I had some fish and chips.

Shadow Wolf
2nd August 2011, 08:07 PM
Cool, let's try something new. (Just in case, my main languages are Spanish and English, so that's pretty much my specialty)

Quick question: If a player tracks down two replies in one post, does he/she still gets one point (due to being a single post?)

Ahaha, Karhu, odotahan vain kun näet mitä olen suunnitellut sinulle. Se ei ole ennustettavaa tai mitään.

Mikachu:

Tuntuu siltä että minun täytyy selittää. Aioin antaa sinulle Suomen lipun värisen Pikachun mutta sitten muistin että Pachirisu on aika lailla oikean värinen joten ole hyvä.

FLAAFFY <333 minä <3 sinua CT X3
... Ja Jigglypuff on melko tarkka, otaksun, Karhunnaama >_>

tracking... tracking... gotcha!:

Ahaha, Bear, just wait til you see what I have planned for you. It's not predictable or anything.

Mikachu:

I feel I have to explain. I was gonna give you a Finnish-flag coloured Pikachu, but then I remembered Pachirisu is pretty much the right colours, so there you go :D

FLAAFFY <333 I <3 you CT X3
... And Jigglypuff is pretty accurate I suppose, Bearface >_>

Funny fact: when translated using GT, Bearface with translated into separate words (Bear Face)

mr_pikachu
2nd August 2011, 08:19 PM
Okay, we're running low on replies that I have any hope of actually translating and finding. So! Here's a new one, courtesy of Babelfish:

In effetti sono stato citato in un articolo di publicazione elettronica relativo a quell'molto medesimo argomento, che ha condotto fuori con una discussione sui dinieghi che tanti autori inviano per quanto riguarda il loro lavoro. Presunto tali dinieghi li assolvono del fatto duro freddo che, tramite la definizione stessa noi abbiamo come fanficcers, apertamente e pubblicamente stanno prendendo il materiale da un universo romanzato stabilito ed offrendo l'intrattenimento libero basato su quell'universo. Ciò è nel contrasto diretto ai creatori originali, che hanno speso molto tempo e soldi che ottengono a dove sono di presente l'universo detto a noi… ed a molti chi molto piuttosto noi passerebbe il nostro tempo che è ispirato dal LORO materiale e dai non nostri propri. Dopo tutto, solo perché we' re rastrellatura nei contanti come sono doesn' t we' necessariamente medio; re non facendo niente nuocere ai loro dividendi… perché non tutti i dividendi vengono dalla carta in nostri raccoglitori.

Lady Vulpix
2nd August 2011, 09:57 PM
Brian seems to have posted an automatic translation of the following post to Italian:

In fact I was quoted in an E-zine article related to that very same subject, which led off with a discussion on the disclaimers that so many authors post with regards to their work. Supposedly such disclaimers absolve us of the cold hard fact that we, by the very definition we have as fanficcers, are openly and publicly taking material from an established fictional universe and offering free entertainment based on that universe. This is in direct contrast to the original creators, who spent a lot of time and money getting to where they are to present said universe to us... and many of whom would much rather we spend our time being inspired by THEIR material and not our own. After all, just because we're not raking in the cash like they are doesn't necessarily mean we're doing nothing to harm their dividends... because not all dividends come from the paper in our wallets.
My Italian isn't good enough to rate it, but it looks fishy.

mr_pikachu
2nd August 2011, 10:31 PM
Bingo! That was the one, Gabi. And yes, Babelfish (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/) tends to be weak in terms of translation syntax and such. (I believe we had a whole thread/game devoted to that fact in the Writers Lounge a few years back.)

Mikachu Yukitatsu
3rd August 2011, 05:27 AM
I didn't know Snorlax was called 卡比兽 in Chinese, but I guess it makes sense if it was translated from Japanese.

But why the 了? And why did you translate Mikachu as Mikaqiu? Then again that's your name and you can translate it as you like.

I think there's a construction 太...了 in Chinese, like in '太好了', 'very good'. I have a study book called Teach Yourself Chinese and I found an example sentence: 那太谢谢你们了! meaning 'Thank you very much indeed!'

According to Bulbapedia, Pikachu's Mandarin Chinese name is 皮卡丘 so all I did was to replace 皮 with 米 to keep the pun.

And Shadow Wolf, I think it's easier to count if it's only one point per post.

How about these:

*schreit vor Freude* OMG, ich muss eine 3DS bekommen und warten auf dass ein!

Hei kaverit. Yritän tehdä aamuistani parempia ennen töitä täyttääkseni ne sellaisena kuin ne olivat kun olin lapsi, joten olen päättänyt katsoa yhden jakson Pokemonia ja yhden jakson DBZ:a päivässä. Mutta sitten harkitsin Kain mahdollisuutta. Se on tiiviimpi, virkistävämpi ja päivittävämpi, silti sisältäen nostalgian elementin. Pitäisikö minun katsoa Kai Z:n sijaan? Pääpulmani ovat paska musiikki ja erilaiset äänet. Kiitos!

No puedo dejar pasar esta oportunidad, tal vez me haga empezar a luchar de nuevo XD

Quiero una mujer brilliante Petilil y una mujer Frillish <3

SCORE:
Lady Vulpix: 3
mr_pikachu: 3
Shadow Wolf: 1

Lady Vulpix
3rd August 2011, 10:17 AM
Ah, OK. I thought 太...了 was only used for adjectives. I would have said 非常谢谢你,米卡丘!

New traced quote:

I cant pass this up, maybe itll make me start battling again XD
I want a female shiny Petilil and a female Frillish <3

My Spanish translation (assuming "can't" and "it'll" were well written):

No puedo dejar pasar esto, tal vez me haga empezar a luchar de nuevo. XD
Quiero una Petilil hembra brillante y una Frillish hembra. <3

"Mujer" means "woman", and a Petilil/Frillish woman sounds weird.