PDA

View Full Version : [CONFIRMED] Wal-Mart Rumored to Drop 3DS Price Early

mr_pikachu
6th August 2011, 03:33 AM
UPDATE 8/9: Wal-Mart stores across the U.S. are now offering the discounted rate of $170. Joey Davidson of Techno Buffalo (http://www.technobuffalo.com/gaming/portable/some-walmarts-offering-3ds-price-cut-early/) notes that corporate headquarters waited until today to inform stores, so confusion among some employees means that not all stores have yet implemented the price cut. If you want the new rate, you may have to try a few Wal-Marts.

You may recall from our previous story (http://pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22786) that, in the wake of disappointing 3DS sales, Nintendo will be dropping the price of its new handheld system worldwide by about 30% on August 12. In an attempt to reward gamers who already own a 3DS, Nintendo is offering 20 classic NES and Game Boy Advance titles for free download until noon on the 11th.

However, according to a "trusted source" of CheapAssGamer.com (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/?f=2457) blogger CheapyD, Wal-Mart is planning to gain a competitive edge in the marketplace by slashing its prices three days sooner, on August 9. If true, gamers could take advantage of the price cut (which, in the U.S., will be from $249.99 to $169.99, an $80 savings) and still get to download the free games. Presumably, gamers would flock to Wal-Mart in greater numbers for this deal that would not be available elsewhere.

Note that this rumor has not yet been confirmed, nor has any approval by Nintendo or lack thereof been reported. However, as Eddie Makuch and Brendan Sinclair of GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6327412/wal-mart-cutting-3ds-price-early) noted, shrewd gamers can claim both the discount and the downloads even if the rumor is not true. Wal-Mart's sales policies state that, if a price reduction takes effect within seven days of a customer's purchase, the customer can bring his/her receipt to the store and claim the difference as a refund. As such, gamers can buy the 3DS now and download the free titles, then claim the discount when the price cut becomes official next week.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
6th August 2011, 04:36 AM
Wal-Mart's ruining everything! I doubt any shop in Finland will do something as clever. Or as stupid. It's really a double-edged sword.

Jeff
6th August 2011, 06:39 AM
Sounds believable. Some Wal-Mart stores have reportedly been selling the 3DS for under $220. Then again that could just be to clear out existing stock before the price drop, so in that case, dropping the price all the way to the new one early wouldn't make sense.

mr_pikachu
6th August 2011, 04:53 PM
Yeah, despite the somewhat odd name, CheapAssGamer.com apparently has a pretty solid reputation for accurately revealing upcoming price changes through its trusted sources. From what I've heard, they also called a big PS3 price cut shortly before it happened, so the history is there.

DarkestLight
8th August 2011, 11:39 AM
Well let's see. Noon the 11th huh? I better get on this...

Wolfsong
8th August 2011, 10:36 PM
I hadn't heard anything about it so i asked one of the gals in the electronics department and she hadn't heard anything either. I guess i'll find out tomorrow either way...

Edit: It true, at least as for as the lowered price is concerned. i just got back and we had them for 169.96

Drago
10th August 2011, 05:19 AM
Those cheeky bastards. I disapprove of them basically going right over Nintendo's heads on this. If I were in charge for Nintendo, I would threaten to cease the partnership with Wal-Mart.

...Maybe it's a good thing I don't run a business, then.

DarkestLight
11th August 2011, 12:05 PM
Mr P: That whole downloadable game until 8/11 is shenanigans :o. 3Ds news said these games will be available for download starting 9/1. Unless I really missed it by 6 seconds...

Jeff
11th August 2011, 12:09 PM
As I understand it, you have to connect to the eShop before the end of today (if you already connected, you're fine). However, the first 10 games can't be downloaded until the 1st, and of course will only be available to those of us who connected before August 12th.