PDA

View Full Version : GenCon 2011

mattbcl
7th August 2011, 05:37 PM
My mom's entire family got together in Indianapolis for GenCon this year... but it wasn't so much for GenCon as it was for my cousin, Rhan, who somehow managed to put together her wedding at the Hyatt just off the Convention Center. I'm sure it was hellaciously expensive, but it was completely worth it. I got to introduce my girlfriend to all the other members of my mom's... well, neurotic family, and we both got to get into costume and wander around GenCon when we weren't at the wedding. (All the attendees were dressed in costume, as well, all of them also being fans of this event... the lovebirds are possibly bigger nerds than me. They get a honeymoon to Japan, bought and paid for by her mother. Yes, please?)

The girlfriend dressed up as a Pokémon breeder. She completed her costume the night before we had to leave - it looked really good. I took my handmade Venom costume, which I've always had self-esteem issues about - I never feel certain it looks good or like crap. But I must have done something right with it, because every 15 feet we traveled in the Con, I got harangued by someone with a camera, begging to take a picture. I may post some in the TPM pic thread. Amazingly, parents were bringing their 3-year-old kids over to me, despite the mask I was wearing - complete with tongue, teeth, the works. I also got some awesome shots with other cosplayers. When we walked into the exhibit, I got this sense of, "Oh, my God. I am HOME amongst these people!"

Had I realized conventions like this were as cool as they evidently are, I would have tried to attend one LONG ago. My feet are killing me, my eyes burn, and I'm sweaty and exhausted, but I can honestly I haven't had such a good time in a VERY long time... and I never felt like I was waiting for the other shoe to drop here, as I do for other events involving throngs of people. I'd better make up for lost time next year. We only got to wander the Con today (weren't able to arrive until yesterday evening), but we're determined to save up and come back for the full 4 day event next time.

Somehow I feel like I'm the last person on Earth to discover how fun this stuff is. What cons have you guys gone to, and what were the highlights for you?

Deadwood_Zen
7th August 2011, 06:16 PM
That's amazing :3

Living the overly-deprived childhood I love, I have never been to a Con, but I'm hoping to change this September. SNAFUCon(Reno, NV) is fairly small, but attracting some attention. I got permission to volunteer at the RPG/TCG Table, but I need to pay for a ticket first(get refunded after I complete my hours). Probably not cosplaying since I have no one to go with and no money. Still sounds like fun :]