PDA

View Full Version : Has my cat become mentally disabled?

mymyilikepie
26th August 2011, 07:04 PM
So a 2 weeks ago my cat became registered for diabetes. We gave him shots to control it. The shots must have been to powerful because one day I found him lying on the floor twitching. I brought him to the hopsital and they said he had a siezure. I know these can be damaging to the brain. I brought him back today and he kept doing a strange thing with his mouth were he would flick forward and back his tounge. He also seems to be avoiding us. So do you think that he has become mentally disabled? I know it's king of random I just want to know.

kurai
26th August 2011, 08:56 PM
yes

mymyilikepie
26th August 2011, 08:57 PM
yes

Oh... How can you tell?

The_Missing_Link
26th August 2011, 09:40 PM
Maybe. Best bet would be to call the vet and talk to them about it

mymyilikepie
26th August 2011, 10:12 PM
Thank you I will. I was with him by the way and he looked cross eyed. I'm really freaked out now

ChobiChibi
27th August 2011, 05:49 AM
You might have given him too much insulin in the shot, which could have caused the seizure. I have a friend that has siezures all the time due to neglecting to treat his diabetes properly.

mymyilikepie
27th August 2011, 10:43 AM
You might have given him too much insulin in the shot, which could have caused the seizure. I have a friend that has siezures all the time due to neglecting to treat his diabetes properly.

We actually found out the results today. He is not mentally disabled and they gave us to much insulin to give him -_- mean people. Anyway I would have loved him if he was mentally disabled. Thanks for the help guys :D

papabopp
27th August 2011, 12:29 PM
why would you treat a cat for diabetes?
how the fuck does a cat get diabetes?

The_Missing_Link
27th August 2011, 12:36 PM
why would you treat a cat for diabetes?
how the fuck does a cat get diabetes?

Because a cat can live a perfectly normal lifestyle if you give them proper treatment, just like any human

Again, getting it is similar to humans. They're not able to produce enough insulin to send sugar to where it needs to go in the body. Obesity doesn't help, and many older cats tend to get fat

My cat had diabetes. Lasted nearly two years with it but probably a year too long

Little_Pikachu
27th August 2011, 02:58 PM
You should ask the vet about it really, but animals can get side effects from medication, same as humans do.
Hope your cat is ok.

mymyilikepie
27th August 2011, 02:58 PM
Because a cat can live a perfectly normal lifestyle if you give them proper treatment, just like any human

Again, getting it is similar to humans. They're not able to produce enough insulin to send sugar to where it needs to go in the body. Obesity doesn't help, and many older cats tend to get fat

My cat had diabetes. Lasted nearly two years with it but probably a year too long

The funny thing is he isn't even obese. He's was normal weight. He lost 3 pounds before the medicine and now he is slowly recovering his weight. I'm sorry for your loss by the way D:

The_Missing_Link
27th August 2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks, but he died about 8 years ago. Wasn't really my cat anyway; he liked my sister and mom more

My cat is thankfully still alive and well. 13 years old with no major problems

mymyilikepie
27th August 2011, 09:19 PM
You should ask the vet about it really, but animals can get side effects from medication, same as humans do.
Hope your cat is ok.

Thank you for the concern

Heald
28th August 2011, 12:27 PM
yes
This gets my nomination for Best Misc Post of 2011.

Dark Sage
29th August 2011, 07:47 AM
The funny thing is he isn't even obese. He's was normal weight. He lost 3 pounds before the medicine and now he is slowly recovering his weight. I'm sorry for your loss by the way D:

My sister in law has been diabetic for years, and she's always been thin as a rail. Obesity is not the only thing that can do it.

mymyilikepie
29th August 2011, 03:11 PM
My sister in law has been diabetic for years, and she's always been thin as a rail. Obesity is not the only thing that can do it.
But Obesity makes it more likley.

ChobiChibi
30th August 2011, 07:40 AM
^ Nope, depends on the type of diabetes. Obesity can lead to type 2 diabetes, where the body creates too much insulin, so you have to watch how much sugar you eat. But this can also be brought on by old age. Both my dad (who is on the large side) and my grandma (who is, y'know, old) have type 2 diabetes.

Type 1 is where the body doesn't create enough insulin. This is normally something you're born with, and requires more monitoring.

Classtoise
2nd September 2011, 05:25 PM
Sorry to hear about your retarded cat, Pie.

mymyilikepie
2nd September 2011, 06:11 PM

Thanks? Anyway he isn't mentally sick he was just scared out of his mind for being moved around. Poor little kitty

crown34
2nd September 2011, 07:10 PM

I think he's trying to be funny...It failed.

mymyilikepie
4th September 2011, 02:33 PM
I think he's trying to be funny...It failed.

I just found out that he is just pissed because I'm using a Lapras on his Charmander in ASB wonder if that has anything to do with this...

crown34
4th September 2011, 09:14 PM
Yeah, that's probably it.

mymyilikepie
5th September 2011, 06:45 AM
Yeah, that's probably it.

Still if my cat was mentally disabled I would be so mad.

Ryoto
5th September 2011, 10:54 AM
Silly people for giving it too much insulin. :(

By the way, obesity only leads to type 2 diabeties. My mum has type 1, so she was born with it, but she isn't a fatty. She is rather slim. :3

mymyilikepie
5th September 2011, 04:45 PM
Silly people for giving it too much insulin. :(

By the way, obesity only leads to type 2 diabeties. My mum has type 1, so she was born with it, but she isn't a fatty. She is rather slim. :3

I'm not sure if my cat has type one or two. I'll post when I know

Heald
6th September 2011, 01:12 AM
Dear god hurry man the suspense is killing us all

Ryoto
6th September 2011, 01:30 AM
Indeed it is. I really want to know! D:

shazza
6th September 2011, 04:07 AM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/5/8/128862834362027053.jpg

woz
6th September 2011, 08:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/piGPl.jpg

ChobiChibi
6th September 2011, 11:37 AM

It's type 1, since you're giving it insulin. With type 2, you have to make sure it doesn't have too much sugar in it's diet.

Heald
6th September 2011, 12:11 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/funny-pictures-kitten-doc.jpg

mymyilikepie
6th September 2011, 02:19 PM
It's type 1, since you're giving it insulin. With type 2, you have to make sure it doesn't have too much sugar in it's diet.

Oh thanks :D

Classtoise
14th September 2011, 01:11 AM
I just found out that he is just pissed because I'm using a Lapras on his Charmander in ASB wonder if that has anything to do with this...
Yeah that post I made way before that point is totally why I said it.

I looked into the future and decided to be incredibly petty.
Because I have that power.
Of seeing into the future.
But only to be petty.
And only a few weeks.

papabopp
15th September 2011, 06:28 PM
Classtoise is such a fucking dick. He's trying to murder my Growlithe.

Blademaster
16th September 2011, 02:24 PM
...Can I see that?

Ryoto
16th September 2011, 02:26 PM
Classtoise has anger issues by the sounds of things. :/

mymyilikepie
21st September 2011, 04:43 PM
http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/u6lytb91mboit4lax4iy.jpg Pic of him (he's much better by the way)