PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the site's latest downtime

Jeff
29th September 2011, 10:30 AM
So, the site's been down for a month now, and currently, all we have is a message saying that it's down for maintenance. I figured I should explain, since anyone who isn't "in the know" is probably completely in the dark right now.

About a month ago, there was a slight issue that caused us to lose the server. We spent some time trying to figure out what went wrong, and getting it back. When we did get it back, everything on there was gone. I had backups on my computer, but parts were outdated. I also had trouble getting my account on the server set up. So we were already off to a rough start.

When that was out of the way, I started re-uploading the site and am now in the process of getting it back to date. My first priority will be getting the Pokédex finished again, since I think that's our most useful feature. Currently, all the parts that deal with moves are missing, and several of the Gen 5 moves and abilities use their Japanese names. I plan on backing up the finished Pokédex once that's done (something I thought I did before, but apparently didn't). If the site ever goes down again, we'll at least have a Pokédex right away.

After the Pokédex is done, I'll get to work on the main site, which shouldn't *knock on wood* take as long as the 'dex. Only a few things are out of date there, but I do plan on reorganizing it a bit, so that might cause some issues.

Hopefully TPM will be completely back in the coming weeks. It should, barring any further catastrophes.

So sorry it's taking so long, I'll keep working to try and get this thing up as soon as I can. Hold tight.

Knight of Time
29th September 2011, 10:58 AM
I definitely agree with backing up the Pokedex here Jeff...but wouldn't it be a better idea to make backups of it as more and more progress is made on it, rather than waiting until it's complete? That way, if you saved your progress maybe every few hours or less, maybe it'd be less of an issue if the server had problems again.

Jeff
29th September 2011, 01:08 PM
As I finish up parts of it, I'll back them up as I go along. That should be enough to safeguard it on the off chance something else goes wrong with the server in the next few days.

Scratch that. I just made a full backup of the code, and plan to continue to make more as I get more done. Easier that way. Once the code is done, I'll back that up and start updating the data. Once that's done, I'll back up the database and we'll be good. Once the site's done, that's getting backed up too. It'll be due for a periodic backup by then.

Telume
29th September 2011, 07:29 PM
Setting a server up from scratch is a pain in the ass >_<

DarkestLight
29th September 2011, 10:57 PM
But in the end, I -as well as everyone here-are thankful for your continued efforts :o

Magmar
30th September 2011, 11:49 AM
I think I just paid this month's server bill T___T;; for whatever reason i just don't get paypal
will check tomorrow to see if it was charged to my account. otherwise i'll submit an issue tracker. the neosurge team is quick to respond!

Telume
2nd October 2011, 12:16 AM
Fairly, I think there are times where they take a while.

Magmar
2nd October 2011, 11:56 AM
I wonder if I just had better luck because I submitted an issue tracker regarding wanting to purchase a particular server that was unavailable. See spending money = win