PDA

View Full Version : Gilad Shalit to be released from 5-year captivity!

Zak
11th October 2011, 05:33 PM
ABOUT DAMN TIME. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/31/muslim-lawmakers-appeal-f_n_943902.html)

For those of you who don't know who that is, hit up wikipedia, can't be bothered.

Heald
11th October 2011, 05:42 PM
Let me guess...this has something to do with either Jews or Saw.

mr_pikachu
11th October 2011, 06:01 PM
Not that I necessarily think Shalit should remain jailed, Zak, but I assume you realize this is probably just a political move to support Palestine's U.N. statehood request (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15033357)....

Katie
11th October 2011, 06:04 PM
For those of you who don't know who that is, hit up wikipedia, can't be bothered.

Then why post a thread! Useless OP dooms news thread. To the bottom of the 1st page we go, and beyond!

mattbcl
11th October 2011, 06:38 PM
A thousand prisoners in exchange for Shalit? Yeah, right, that's gonna happen. This is an opening volley. They'll work on negotiating a deal that's far more fair and both sides will probably be praying that they get their way in the face of the other side cracking. I hate the posturing that needs to happen in politics - the people in charge spend too much time worrying about saving face.

Zak
11th October 2011, 06:58 PM
Not that I necessarily think Shalit should remain jailed, Zak, but I assume you realize this is probably just a political move to support Palestine's U.N. statehood request (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15033357)....

Yes I know, it is mentioned in the article I posted as well.

A thousand prisoners in exchange for Shalit? Yeah, right, that's gonna happen. This is an opening volley. They'll work on negotiating a deal that's far more fair and both sides will probably be praying that they get their way in the face of the other side cracking. I hate the posturing that needs to happen in politics - the people in charge spend too much time worrying about saving face.

Who cares about 1027 shitheads though? If that's how they have to deal with animals, so be it.

Then why post a thread! Useless OP dooms news thread. To the bottom of the 1st page we go, and beyond!

I don't get it...? Clearly meant to be witty but I don't get your underlying message? :confused: Not my fault you don't follow the news, he's mentioned a lot in world news, not just the right-wing Jewish community, and I figure the majority here know who he is. So for their sake I skipped the introduction.

Blademaster
12th October 2011, 12:37 PM
Never heard of him. Why's he so important?

Magmar
12th October 2011, 12:39 PM
I spend a solid 20-30 minutes reading the news every day and I have never heard of him dude... But I see how this is significant.

Leon-IH
12th October 2011, 06:36 PM
They should release him by catapult back to Poland where he fucking well belongs, just like the rest of the Jewish population of Israel.

Blademaster
13th October 2011, 01:21 PM
Suddenly, banhammer.

Lady Vulpix
13th October 2011, 01:37 PM
If we're talking about Israeli justice, they should release Tal Mor. The judge ignored all the evidence in his favor just because of who the victim was, while the real killer is still on the loose.

Katie
13th October 2011, 03:41 PM
I don't get it...? Clearly meant to be witty but I don't get your underlying message? :confused: Not my fault you don't follow the news, he's mentioned a lot in world news, not just the right-wing Jewish community, and I figure the majority here know who he is. So for their sake I skipped the introduction.

It's bannable at other forums to post a news thread with just a link and no content/opinion/debate/even a summary, on the idea that if someone wanted a list of news links they could go to a number of other websites and click news, and why bother posting it on a forum if you "can't be bothered" to discuss it as the originally poster who brought it to our attention in the first place? That is the intent of a forum, right?

I realize that this is not "other forums" but tpm's lack rules on the subject really makes me appreciate the rules elsewhere. (and I am NOT generally a rules-enjoyer, to be clear)

Zak
18th October 2011, 08:02 AM
It's bannable at other forums to post a news thread with just a link and no content/opinion/debate/even a summary, on the idea that if someone wanted a list of news links they could go to a number of other websites and click news, and why bother posting it on a forum if you "can't be bothered" to discuss it as the originally poster who brought it to our attention in the first place? That is the intent of a forum, right?

I realize that this is not "other forums" but tpm's lack rules on the subject really makes me appreciate the rules elsewhere. (and I am NOT generally a rules-enjoyer, to be clear)

I hear you on that, but I guess I just figured a majority of people would know who he is (granted certainly not everyone) since the stuff surrounding him is semi-worldnews. Like how when people post that a celebrity dies, usually its just the article and that's it. Or like during the Iraq war, there would be news threads involving updates on it, except the OP didn't bother summarizing the whole war. Sometimes the article is copy-pasted in a quote and thats it, maybe I could've done that to make it "look better".

But anyway, back on topic, well, today's the big day, he's on his way home... and already being harassed for interviews. Oh boy... well, we'll see how the whole "prisoner exchange" goes down. I'm not really expecting much riot considering the 1027 Hamas prisoners released weren't people with much power anyway.

ChobiChibi
18th October 2011, 04:23 PM
This finally made the BBC news! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15339604

Roy Karrde
18th October 2011, 06:06 PM
I'm not really expecting much riot considering the 1027 Hamas prisoners released weren't people with much power anyway.

I am not sure if it would be considered "weren't people with much power" here are some of the prisoners released.

They include the perpetrators of some of the most ghastly terrorist attacks of recent years: Brutal killers like Abd al-Aziz Salehi, who gleefully displayed his blood-soaked hands to a cheering Ramallah crowd in 2000 after lynching two Israelis and mutilating their bodies. Like Ibrahim Yunis, mastermind of a 2003 cafe bombing that left seven innocents dead, including an American-born doctor and his 20-year-old daughter on the eve of her wedding. Like Ahlam Tamimi, a Palestinian television personality who boasts of her role in organizing the 2001 bombing of a pizzeria in downtown Jerusalem, in which 15 people were killed, seven of them children.

One of the Palestinians being released today, for example, is Musab Hashlemon, who was given 17 life sentences for a Beersheba massacre he planned in 2004. That massacre occurred just months after an earlier prisoner exchange in which 435 Palestinians went free - Hashlemon among them.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2011/10/18/shalits_release_will_be_too_costly_for_israel/

And of course some Palestinians are reacting in predictable if not scary fashion.

"JonDonnison: Pal prisoners families at rafah chanting “we want a new Shalit”"

Jon Donnison in that tweet is a BBC correspondent.
https://twitter.com/#!/JonDonnison/status/126216908834996225

Zak
20th October 2011, 06:13 AM
Mmm, well, as far as I'm aware, there wasn't anything in the contract that say that the "dangerous" prisoners not be on probation of any kind to make sure they don't do attacks again. Sure, if they're gonna ignore justice and let them freely live out their lives and be with their families again, at least make sure they don't have the resources to do stuff that landed them there in the first place.

Leon-IH
22nd October 2011, 12:33 AM
Suddenly, banhammer.

Seems like Zionists get mad when you remind them that they're converts (mostly from Prussia) with no Israeli heritage to speak of and are essentially doing to the rightful inhabitants of the region what Europeans did in America, Australia, parts of Asia and Africa (read: kicking people out of their homes and off their land).

Sometimes I forget that stealing land is only unacceptable if you're dark skinned.

Zak
22nd October 2011, 04:38 AM
Seems like Zionists get mad when you remind them that they're converts (mostly from Prussia) with no Israeli heritage to speak of and are essentially doing to the rightful inhabitants of the region what Europeans did in America, Australia, parts of Asia and Africa (read: kicking people out of their homes and off their land).

Sometimes I forget that stealing land is only unacceptable if you're dark skinned.

Saying someone "should be catapulted back to Poland" is not even close to the same thing as what you just described, but of course you probably know that and were probably just tactlessly trying to get a rise out of the forum. :rolleyes:
And yes, a lot of countries were formed by taking over land. No one ever denies it was the same thing as what the Europeans did, not sure where you're pulling that from. But anyway, funny how you mention that "stealing land is only unacceptable if you're dark skinned" and bringing that up with the same people who whine about Israel don't bat an eyelid about what the Europeans did in all those places. But anyway, it's rather sad and pathetic that you think that because Israel supposedly shouldn't exist, it justifies your "going back to Poland" statement.
If you're bringing heritage into this, and you're trying to say they should go to where they would be if Israel didn't exist, you may as well have said Hungary, Romania, Ukraine, or even Morocco, because a great deal of them are originally from those places as well (and I doubt anyone on here would have cared as much), but seeing as you chose Poland of ALL possible places (while sure, granted there are a handful of Polish decent), don't expect me to believe you were just trying to justify heritage and weren't simply being tact-less and trying to get a rise out of the board.

But anyhow this thread is about the recent exchange, not a debate about Israel/Palestine's right to a state. I understand you get off on it and it boosts your self esteem making you feel big on the internet, but seriously, not every thread mentioning "Israel", "Jews", or "Zionists" needs to be turned into a right-to-the-land debate. I'd be glad to argue it with you all night in another thread if you want to go ahead. But any further posts about it will be infracted, unless they're somehow relating to the topic itself.

And for the record, Blademaster made that post before it was actually carried out.

Heald
22nd October 2011, 06:25 PM
Leon-IH, this thread isn't about the legitimacy of the state of Israel. Start a new thread if you feel that strongly about it.