PDA

View Full Version : When Destinies Collide

Pages : 1 2 [3]

mr_pikachu
15th November 2003, 01:54 AM
Could it be? A reprieve from my oh-so-friendly suggestions?? :o

Yes, it's true. I've been extremely busy lately, so I've barely had time to READ fanfics, much less go over every little detail. Thus, there may not be any more reviews for a bit. But not to worry; as soon as Winter Break comes, I'll be back on your case! Won't that be fun? :rolleyes:

Anyway, this chapter was freaky, and good. Really good. Ash tosses his Pokemon off a cliff, Sakura questions her own sexuality while making out with Ash, oh, not to mention the fact that Misty and Li are plotting to kill their would-be rescuers. What the hell?! :D Anyway, this chapter was one-of-a-kind, and will surely be remembered by us TPMers for all time. Or at least until next chapter. ;)

Well, this was great work, and I can't wait until the next chapter!

Oh, one more thing...

So Yami's gonna be in WDC2, eh? I'm not sure whether to be joyful or deeply disturbed. Yes, I'm sure he'll be a great character, but I told you... Yami is mine! You can't have him! Hands off! ...That sounded SO incredibly wrong, didn't it? Ah well. Who cares. ;) Anyway, how's he going to have any impact... will he be beheading bad guys with cards? Or will he provide moral support? Or both? Great, now you've got me excited about the sequel, and you haven't even finished the original! Hurry up, man! ;)

Last Exile
16th November 2003, 06:31 PM
mr_pikachu: I'm using Yami for a simple reason.

Yugi is a loser.

Yami rocks.

Any questions?

But yes, he will play an important part in the sequel.

I'm moving on with this. I reckon there's only another 10-15 chapters left at most. This ship is definitely headed for home, and is beginning to pick up speed. So the end will soon be in sight. You can rest assured of that. ;)

SilverMachop
16th November 2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Citrus Crush Chikorita
Yugi is a loser.

Yami rocks.

Any questions?

Yeah. Will you shun/decapitate/ignore any one who shares a different opinion?

I like both Yugi and Yami both very much, but I always grew annoyed how in fanfics, Yami is always paired with Téa instead of Yugi. I wondered what the hell was up with that, since Yugi and Téa are friends, while Yami is another being in total!

... Then again, I also like Téa, and no one else seems to like her. Eh, oh well.

Well, have fun writing, CCC! Tallyho!

Last Exile
16th November 2003, 06:53 PM
Hey! Hold it!

I like Tea! Very much so! VERY much so! Tea is WAY hotter that Mai will ever be! Plus she's way nicer, way more loyal, trustworthy, forgiving, etc. Plsu she's the only one that REALLY unterstands the Yami?Yugi situation that well. I eman, she was able to figure it out without many prompts. Plus she was the only person of the trio that remembered the shadow game against Bakura. Plus she was the only decent monster (of the trio of her, Joey and Tristan, that is. Yugi being the Dark Magician was way cool). She was so cool as the Magician of Faith. And she has so many classic one liners.

Tea owns. No apologies to Mai obsessors.

And no, I don't shun other opinions. I just don't like Yugi. Yami is way better. Yami/Tea just seems more likely. Because if Tea did date Yugi, it would be like she was a cradle snatcher. He's only half her height, for crying out loud! Plus Tea and Yami did do the date in the Battle City arc.

Did I happen to mention that bit about cradle snatching? I seriously think it would be cradle snatching.

mr_pikachu
18th November 2003, 06:02 PM
<--- Doesn't want to hear any more mentions of "cradle snatchers". :P

So WDC's really almost done, huh? I can't believe it's finishing so soon. But I have a feeling that the saga against Giovanni will continue... and that this fic won't end happily for Misty and Li. I won't ask if I'm right, because I know you won't tell me. :D

Anyway, I happen to share a slightly different view about Yami and Yugi. Yami is the stronger character, by far. Yugi (or anyone else, for that matter) doesn't even come close. Yami's powerful, determined, and unstoppable when he's got the proper mindset.

However, Yugi is the more understanding character. Yami only seems to understand people as they relate to accomplishing great things. Yugi is more concerned with feelings, and has great understanding and compassion for his friends. Of course, he can be clueless at times... :rolleyes:

So just how are you going to pull that off, anyway? Since the two of them share the same body, it'll be rather difficult to have one and not the other, don't you think? That is, unless you come up with a rather clever explanation, which I have no doubt you will. ;)

Well, I've got to go check on the other fics. See ya! :wave:

P.S. About your "only cool monster" comment... hello? Flame Swordsman? Roast and toast? Ah, never mind. You're too obsessed with Injection Fairy Lily to notice. ;)

classy_cat18
18th November 2003, 06:14 PM
Yami's also almost a total serious stiff. *blushes* I like serious guys...

*sees that everyone's staring at her and creeps out of room*

Last Exile
18th November 2003, 10:06 PM
Mr_Pikachu: Well, I have some surprises there too. And BTW, I am well over Injection Fairy Lily. Besides, there are plenty of others I like:

Gemini Elf
Yata-Garasu
Don Zaloog
Exiled Force
Tribe Infecting Virus
Magician of Faith
Jinzo
Sinister Serpent
Dark Magician
Dark Magician Girl

Gemini Elf ownz the Flame Swordsman any day! ;)

And the Dark Magician Girl rules, full stop. ;)

classy_cat18: Hey, I've heard other girls say that about Yami, so don't worry. ;) You're not alone. He is way cool.

PancaKe
25th November 2003, 02:49 AM
Okay, do you have any idea how freaking long it took this bloody reply page to load? OMGosh they were EXPLOSIVE chapters. I didnt' really understand why he threw away his pokeballs though, but it was kind of sad and disturbing. Is it because you want to stear away from the whole pokemon thing? Oh and, great character development mate. I swear, its like, they're from a freaking soap opera, the way they swing with moods, the way they suddenly crumble, ^^ but its well written. I always said you were an emotional writer, focusing very much on emotions, and how true is that.

Oh yeah, can u believe we were questioned about our joint fic? That was cool, but if only we had time :( lol. Dude I miss you, email me sometime. I tried to email you in computing studies the other day but the bell went and we went home instead! ^^ Cuz dere is just so much to tell you dude

But i'm proud i finally caught up. are you proud? I AM!!! ^^ Happy new year dude.

~Mist

Last Exile
26th November 2003, 01:10 AM
Mist: Well, I've been busy. My mum wants me to find work during the summer or she'll be docking me $100 a week. So life ain't that swell at the moment. It's okay, but not as I'd like it to be. Because a 3-month proposition is something most people don't seem to want these days. I've tried to ring you on your mobile, but it always says it's switched off, even though I rang at like 5 in the afternoon. I'll try to get in contact with ya soon.

As for the fic, well, Ash is being possessed, so he wouldn't have thrown his balls away under his own will. He did it under someone else's.

THe other reason I ahven't been able to contact you is because my mum has banned me from using the net at home until I find work. :( Joy.

PancaKe
26th November 2003, 11:01 PM
*hugs* I dont know why my phone would be turned off... O.o have you tried ringing at 5 pm your time or DST? cuz dont forget theres a time difference AND daylight savings on top of that. So if theres about three hours difference between sydney and adelade, then that would make it four hours difference, which would make 5 o clock in the afternoon nine o clock at night ... and my phone should be on anyway unless it was sunday in which case i wouldve been at church... hmm... ???

Anyway lol enough about phones. Its sad to hear you cant go on the net :( i sent you an email to your uni account, tell me if your still using it and if you got it. Cuz it was quite a long hyper email.... very hyper... well if we get the chance to talk ill be able to explain a lot. ^^:;; its mostly gossip again. lol

But dude, hwy do you need a job over summer if your a teacher? and how will your mum dock you $100 a week? tell your mum its a holiday break like the kids get :P

Hope things go well for you!

~Mist

Last Exile
3rd December 2003, 09:11 PM
Mist: Ah well, things are getting better gradually. And thanks for the chat on Monday, I needed that! ;)

Okay, new material time! :D

Chapter 32 – Ghost In The Shell

Sakura felt tears racing down her eyes as her weary feet barely managed to keep her standing. She was partly crying because of the incredible strain on her body, but more because of the nature of the situation. Again, humanity had shown its worst features when threatened by something it couldn’t understand. After all she’d done for them, after all the pain and misery she’d been forced to endure, she was going to receive nothing but the ultimate price for daring to think that her actions would come to any good.
She was going to die.
All of her hopes for the future, the life she’d planned to lead. Dreams of a warm, loving home, a close family, endless nights with Ash at her side and days conversing with Madison. However, if this year had taught her anything, it was that life never turned out as planned. You couldn’t plan for life suddenly doing a back-flip on you.
Somehow, she’d figured that it would end like this. All the great heroes of history went down at the very end. At that moment, she was reminded of Joan of Arc, the courageous young woman that dared to believe that France could be liberated from the tyrannical regime of England. She struck up a belief in her people and she risked everything to save her people, and ultimately doing that.
And what was her reward? Death. A slow, painful death. Exacted upon her by the people she’d fought to save and protect. Sakura sighed, tendrils of hair sticking to her face, wet from her tears. A hero is only appreciated when needed, she mused. History was about to repeat itself with another female icon.
The milling pack of frenzied townspeople, grasping tools, guns and weapons of any kind they had managed to get their hands on in a hurry. They had been stung into action by fear, fear of something they didn’t understand. Sakura was a threat, and human instinct dictated that to preserve their wellbeing, she had to be eliminated. Bloodlust shimmered in their eyes as sweat beaded down their bodies. Scowls and glares emanated from every single member of the pack. They collectively had one thing on their mind, and they were ready to carry it out.
Sakura turned to face the one person who was still standing by her, then gasped in shock. Ash’s face was no longer soft, youthful and energetic. It was hard, furious and cold. Almost…evil.
She swore that someone from the crowd spoke, but she was so lucid that she couldn’t tell. But what she did hear was Ash’s suddenly reply as he walked past her in a symmetric motion, as if her was preparing himself for something he had to do.
“Goodbye, Sakura.”
He then raised his face, and a grating, unforgiving voice emerged from his lips.
“If you want her, you’ll have to get through me first. But I tell you, if you dare come any closer, you shall forfeit your very lives right where you stand!”
Sakura’s eyes widened, and she felt more tears flowing. This wasn’t the Ash she knew. The Ash she knew had just said goodbye. Whoever was in inside Ash’s body now wasn’t Ash. This was a freak, something beyond description in terms of its insidiousness.
At that moment, she realised the awful truth, and her hands fell to her chest as a sharp pang stabbed through her heart.
She’d lost Ash. Maybe…forever.
A maniacal glare emerged from Ash’s eyes, a devilish, foreboding grin spread across his face. “Now if you dare, come for me, you foolish mortals!”

Sakura screamed as she awoke from her sleep. She was clasping her arms, her whole body shaking in fear as she sat up, gasping, barely able to control her breathing.
What on earth had she just saw? Was it a sign of things to come? Was this something that would happen in the future? It had seemed so real. How weary and downhearted she had felt. The vile, maniacal bloodlust of the villagers.
But most of all, what scared her was the way Ash’s face and manner suddenly changed in the blink of an eye. He’d become cold, emotionless and vengeful. This was not the Ash she knew. What on earth could make him do something like that?
“This...this can’t be my future, our future.” She ran her fingers through her hair, feeling the throbbing of the veins in her head, magnifying her tension.
“No. The future isn’t set. Just because I have a nightmare, doesn’t mean it is a sign of things to come. I have choices. Everyone does. This can’t…” Sakura’s face fell into her hands, inconsolable and drowning in the murky depths of her sorrow. “This can’t be my future!”
“That, Sakura, is up to you.”
Sakura froze, her blood chilled like refrigerated water. The voice that had just permeated her thoughts was one she had never heard before. It was a male voice, around the same age as hers, one that while not threatening was not as welcoming as she’d feel comfortable with. Hesitatingly, she slowly turned towards the source of her voice, her temples throbbing with rushes of hot blood. Within moments, she faced the intruder.
“Who are you?” she blurted from trembling lips.
The floating male figure simply smiled slightly. “Fear not, Sakura. I mean you no harm.”
Sakura held one arm out in a defensive position, still not trusting the figure. “You know my name. Why are you here?”
“I am here to give you a warning.”
Sakura lowered her arms, as if suddenly connecting with this person. She had just had a nightmare about the future, where Ash was nothing like the person she knew. And just after it concluded, this person appears, claiming to have a warning. Was this just mere coincidence, or was there a deeper meaning?
“It was no mere nightmare, Sakura. This is what may come to pass, if you do not make a difference.”
Sakura’s attention was now captured fully as she gasped in pure shock. “You read my mind? How?!”
“I don’t have the powers to read your mind, but rather to receive messages from your mind, when you are under great stress, fear or anger. I felt the vibes from your sleep pattern, and I knew that I had to come.”
Sakura firmed up, clenching a fist behind her back. She still wasn’t fully trusting of this person. “Because you have a warning. If you have one, then please, give it. Otherwise I will consider you to be a hostile intruder, and believe me, I will use force against you. I’ve been betrayed too many times recently to trust you at first sight.”
“Fair enough,” sighed the figure softly. “My warning…Ash is betraying you. But not under his own will.”

“So, friend, do we have a deal?”
The icy voice replied with a firm manner. “Your offer is very tantalising. Just thinking of it makes me water! I didn’t expect you to find me a host body so soon.”
Giovanni smirked, massaging his velvety black hair. “Ah, yes. It was a stroke of luck to learn that the boy was such a suitable host. However, losing Ivy was not part of the plan!” he concluded harshly.
“Rust assured, Giovanni. Ash Ketchum will pay for the damage he and Sakura have inflicted upon us. I will not allow foolish mortals to interfere with our divine designs anymore! Indeed, Ash Ketchum will now do our bidding, whether he wants to or not.”
“And the plan has even more benefits implemented. For not only will the deal secure the services of Ash Ketchum, it will also provide the means to destroy Sakura’s magic…permanently!”

“Ash is betraying me.” The words ripped into Sakura’s being and tore her apart. She collapsed to the floor in a heap for a few moments. “I knew something was wrong. I knew that somehow, I’d fail to protect him. You said he wasn’t doing it under his own will.”
“Ash is being coerced, but by whom is something I do not know yet. I know that somehow Team Rocket are involved, but who and what they are using to achieve this is currently beyond my knowledge.”
Sakura jumped to her feet, a scowl printed on her face as fire rushed through her veins. “If they think they can just take Ash away from me like that, they’re wrong! I made a promise to my future self that I wouldn’t let him slip away, and I won’t.”
The floating figure dared a half-smile. “Good. Then my coming here has not been wasted. I wish I could bear better news, Sakura, but I must leave you with one more serious piece of news. Perhaps even more serious than the one I just gave you.”
Now Sakura’s curiosity was incredibly aroused. She was already ridden with anxiety over learning about the reason behind Ash’s recent strange behaviour, but the fact there was something else on top of that made even more anxious.
“Tell me then. I must know.”
“You may not have noticed it yet, but the powers dictating your magical abilities are disintegrating. Clow Reed’s servants are passing from this world as we speak, and with it will slip away the one thing you require to summon the magic.”
“My key?!” Sakura snatched at the chain around the neck, but could barely hold onto it. It seemed to continually slip in and out of her fingers like a slippery fish, freshly caught form the sea. “What…what’s happening to it? I thought I made the key and staff my own!”
“You made the cards your own, but the staff still possesses a strong link to Clow Reed, so now that the guardians are going from this world for good, so will the staff.”
“Kero’s in trouble?” Sakura began to choke from the thought. “I have to help him!”
“It is too late for that,” sighed the floating figure.
“Why? Why can’t I save him?!” demanded Sakura angrily, her cheeks flushed, her hairs standing on end.
“An equally evil force has reawakened in the world. An ancient evil, several millennia old. It seeks power and vengeance, and in order to accomplish that, it has sided with the world’s current evil force in order to achieve its vile ends.”
“Team Rocket.”
“Yes. I don’t know the exact deals, but the spirit is very eager to assist Giovanni in his quest for vengeance on Ash and yourself. That is why Ash is losing control over himself and why your magical powers are draining. But I must tell you this: while the key and the guardians will be gone, the magic will remain. The power to use the magic lies within you, Sakura. Not inside some miniscule artifact. Remember that, for that is the only way to maintain your powers. You need to truly make the magic your own ”
The floating figure began to evaporate away from view, like an early morning mist in winter. “I am sorry, but I must leave you now. My superiors may found out I have meddled in human affairs, and if they do know, I will never be able to assist you again.”
Sakura began to feel desperation emanating form her. “Please, don’t go! Who are you? What are you? And why are you helping me?”
“My name is unimportant. I gave up my humanity a long time ago. I am something different now. Consider me your guardian angel, if you will. I can assist you, Sakura, but it is you that must make the critical decisions. The fate of the world is now in your hands. Even if it damns me, I cannot stand back and let this happen. Remember, protect Ash. At all costs.”
Before Sakura knew it, the floating figure was gone. And the magical chain around her neck continued to slowly vanish, as if it had never existed.

Ash stood triumphantly as he saw the winged beast descend from above him. It burst through the cloudy skies of the afternoon, slashing through it in a brilliant flash of red and orange. Its wings were dark green underneath, and on the tip of its tail was a blazing flame thought could instantly singe a person all over.
“Well, Charizard, we meet again at last.”
The powerful dragon nodded its head in recognition, heeding the call of its former master for now.
“I know that you long to be free and to stay with the rest of your kind. I will grant you that wish permanently, old friend, if you grant me one last wish.”
This response was most unexpected. Charizard’s mouth fell open momentarily before snapping it shut and bowing in respect. Ash smirked like a sneak, then revealed his wish.
“Charizard, I want you to blast me with your fiery breath until you can blast me no more.”
Charizard stood back, shaking its head furiously as a small flicker of flames was emitted from its nostrils.
“Charizard, I am giving you freedom for the rest of your life. Besides, your fire won’t kill me. Trust me. I know what I’m doing.”
Charizard sighed, as if he was about to do something that he would regret for the rest of his life, then proceeded to mercilessly pound Ash in an inferno of red-hot flame. Ash gripped his fists as his clothes were instantly incinerated around him, reduced to mere ashes. Yet his body remained completely unharmed. In fact, he was smiling as his arms reached towards the sky, his hair whipping in the wind as he continued to be enveloped in the intense heat.

Sakura sat still, curled up in a ball. She couldn’t force any more tears out. She was all cried out. All that was left was an empty hole in the middle of her stomach. She sat there pensively, contemplating her next move. She was still recovering from the events that had just passed. There was so much information to process and so little time do it in.
But one thing was clear – she had just lost the only means of using her magic. She was defenseless, unable to do anything. Her identity had been stolen from her in some cruel twist of fate. She was alone and unable to help Ash when he needed her most. If what the figure that had approached her, supposedly her ‘guardian angel’, had been telling her the truth, then Ash was being coerced to do someone else’s bidding. How, she did not now, but the thought made her feel so sick inside she wanted to throw up, yet nothing festered within.
If Sakura was going to be able to save Ash, she had to regain access to her powers. But how? The ‘guardian’ had advised her that she needed to make the magic her own. This made it sound as if there was still some major connection between her cards and their original owner, Clow Reed. The ‘guardian’ had also advised her that any representatives of Clow Reed were now gone from this world. So if there was still some connection with her cards, then that would explain the loss of her key and chain. She needed to find another way to summon the magic. But how she could possibly do that was beyond her knowledge. It seemed hope had abandoned her.
She could only help herself right now. Nothing else could aid her in this dark hour. She was once again going to have to rely on her own steely resolve to guide her through the darkness and the cold feeling in her stomach.

Ash braced himself as red-hot flames engulfed his body. If this were a normal person this was happening to, they would instantly be burned to death. The skin would instantly peel off, any remainders would melt. The flesh would be charred within seconds. A few bits of bone might have remained intact.
But this was not a normal person. This was Ash Ketchum, who for some reason, was not incinerated by the flames. Instead, they flowed around his body, as if they were dancing, forming a luminous layer of scorching flames all around him. He felt no heat, no pain, and no damage was done to his body. In fact, he couldn’t remember ever feeling this good. It was…as if he was the flames. As if his entire body was made of them. It felt as if he awakening from within the depths of a mother’s womb, stepping into the real world for the first time. As if he hadn’t been alive before this moment, as if every part of his life until now was like an experience within the womb, a prelude to reality, or maybe what his true purpose was.
“So this is why I exist. All my youth I was searching for my reason for living. I found it in Nature. But it turned out to be quite different from the path I was taking. I searched for something outside of me. I never realised the power and beauty within me. This is my true purpose. There is fire within me. This is my gift.”
Charizard stopped bellowing out its deadly inferno, frozen in pure shock. Ash simply smiled, walked up to his old friend and patted his leg.
“You can feel it in me, my friend.”
Charizard nodded, entranced by the feeling he was receiving from the burning tips of Ash’s fingers and the glimmering shell of flame around Ash’s body.
“You have given me my reason for being, Charizard. I can never truly thank you enough. So now, old friend, I release you.”
Charizard almost felt tears ready to stream from its huge green eyes, but its harsh inner resolve prevented them from flowing.
“We will meet again some day. But for now, you deserve a life of your own. Be free, live with your own kind. That is the greatest honour you can do for me, Charizard. You were never suited to live under the leash of someone else.”
Charizard gave his trademark thumbs-up, then readily began to flap its wings. He gradually lifted his heavy feet from the rocky ground, wind rapidly circulating beneath him. In an instant, he soared to the skies, ascending ever higher towards the wispy plumes of white clouds spread out against the azure canvas that was the sky.
Ash smiled to himself, rubbing his hands eagerly. He was completely unaware that we was not under the influence of his own will, but someone else’s. He couldn’t see the yellow glare that emitted from his eyes.
“Dark Ruler, this is Spirit Reaper. We have secured the first Fallen Angel. Repeat, we have secured the first Fallen Angel.”

“You won’t have to go down this path alone, Sakura.”
Sakura felt every long strand of hair go rigid in shock, her skin as hard as cement for a moment. Then it crumbled, revealing the soft, sensitive, smooth surface beneath as a gentle hand slipped under her arms followed by a long, glowing arm.
“I said I would stand by you no matter what. I still mean it.”
“Crystal.” Sakura’s hands slipped up to Crystal’s and cupped it, running over the knuckles, then the palm. “I know that something is happening, but I still don’t know what.”
“I know. And this even eludes me. But there is something we do know.”
Sakura felt a ray of light pierce her cloudy irises. “What do you know?”
“Check your cards. They hold part of the answer.”
Sakura quickly reached down into her pockets, searching frantically for her cards. Then her blood froze. She expected to have drawn all of the fifty-two cards she searched for and sealed in her quest when she was ten years old. Only four cards emerged from her pockets.
Earth, Firey, Windy and Water. The four elemental cards. The most powerful cards of all. They remained. The rest were gone.
“They returned to Clow Reed, didn’t they? Along with Kero.”
“It seems so. But yet these four remain. It is strange. These are the most powerful cards of all.”
Sakura felt something emerging from the depths of the icy pit consuming her stomach. “Did something keep them here? Did they choose to remain here?”
“Possibly,” remarked Crystal, breaking her hug and then massaging the back of Sakura’s head. “It’s almost as if they are searching for something…or someone.”
“But…aren’t the cards supposed to be my own now? Aren’t they bound to me?”
“Not even Clow Reed was always able to master them or understand their true purpose. Remember, the spirits do have a mind of their own. They have a connection to the spiritual aspects of the universe. They know about things we don’t know. There are greater forces at play than we know about. Whatever the reason, it is clear the four elemental cards chose to remain here. We need to find out why.”
Sakura felt a tear run down her cheek as the burning issue finally arose to the surface. “But what about my powers? What remains of them? The cards were my life, my friends. And now they’re gone, except for these four. I loved those cards. It feels as if a part of me is missing. I can never get that back.”
Crystal moved her head right above Sakura’s shoulder. “Sakura, I can’t pretend to know what you’re going through right now. I can’t pretend to explain what is happening and why. But I will stick with you, no matter what. I am partly responsible for what has happened to you. So I must follow out my duty to aid and protect you. You have my word.”
“And mine.”
Sakura turned to face the voice. She was met with the familiar frame of black hair, rippling blue eyes, pale skin and a warm, loving face.
“Madison.”
Sakura longed to run to her and embrace her best friend, but Madison’s face was discouraging. It wasn’t her normal innocent smile. It seemed weary, even solemn.
“Madison, what’s wrong?”
Madison sighed, smoothed out her hair with sweaty hands, which gently shook as they moved. “Sakura, I’ve been given a special job by these people. They’ve given me access to the highest grade hardware ever. Computers so powerful it’s scary. They’ve asked me to attempt to hack into the Team Rocket database or to intercept any transmissions sent between suspected high-level personnel. And, earlier today, just a few minutes ago, I finally came across a highly encrypted transmission. Using algorithm programs, I was able to decode it.”
Sakura beamed. “That’s great, Madison. You’re so good with computers. What did you find?”
Madison ducked her head. “Sakura, you don’t get it, do you?”
Sakura’s eyes widened. “Understand what?”
“The information I found related to a top secret project that Team Rocket have been running for the last few months. It has something to do with a search for certain individuals. Ones that have extraordinary magical powers. Team Rocket have placed a high-level priority on capturing these individuals for some secret research. The transmission didn’t go into too much detail about overall objectives, but it did relate to two specific missions. One just completed, one that had just been approved.”
Sakura felt a lump in her throat. “We can’t let them get these people then, at any cost, Madison. We have to protect them.”
At that comment, Madison broke into tears, covering her face and beating her head against her hands.
Sakura was bemused, wanting to display sympathy for her friend but not knowing how or why. “Madison, what’s wrong? Did what I just said upset you?”
Madison sniffled, wiped off the salty mess from her face, then composed herself. Her eyes were cold, her expression blank. “Read this,” she whispered eerily, handing Sakura a chillingly white piece of paper.
Sakura gently retrieved it and began to read. The page was in letterhead format, broken into two sections.

Team Rocket Transmission #14516
Code Level = Red
For the eyes of Executives only!

For the attention of all personnel of Team Rocket:

This is Dark Ruler. Spirit Reaper has just reported in. The first phase of our plan has finally borne fruit!

Phase 1 - Operation: Ghost In The Shell.

It could not have gone any better! Out target was completely unaware that we were ready to take him into custody for our master plan. But of course, he had no choice in the matter, did he?! Spirit Reaper was successful in his mission. Using his mind-control powers, he was successfully able to take over the target and bend his will for our purposes.

You know how much this means! After years of research, effort and resources being poured into the project, we are finally seeing results! Our master plan is an ingenious one, but not infallible. There was always the chance that the universe would concoct something to neutralise our efforts.

But that matters little now! We have taken the initiative and dealt our enemies a crushing blow! For we now have possession of a Fallen Angel! Yes, the legendary beings do exist! Spirit Reaper has successfully manipulated one to falling into our hands. This is a major victory for the organisation. The threat of our plans being compromised by the revolting forces of good are now heavily reduced.

Who would’ve thought it would be the person that we found it to be. Even Spirit Reaper found it amusing. He was certainly one of the last people we suspected. Indeed, the universe works in mysterious ways. But that is irrelevant! Now that we know Fire Angel’s true identity, we must begin the process of converting him to our cause. He knows nothing of his powers himself, but Spirit Reaper has initiated the awakening. The timing is critical. We must now monitor him closely, and as he assumes his true form, we must make sure he is bent to serve our needs.

The subject will be treated like an honoured guest. You will respect him at all times. No harm must come to have. It is imperative that Spirit Reaper is given all that he needs to bend Fire Angel’s will.

Our revenge is coming. Who would’ve thought that Fire Angel’s identity was Ash Ketchum?!

Sakura felt as if her soul had been ripped from her body. She felt as if she was a million miles away, hurling across the universe, past clusters of stars, planets, comets, galaxies, through the blackness of space. This couldn’t be right! Was this true?!
“It’s true,” sniffled Madison. “I wish it weren’t. I had our people check this. Ash is nowhere to be seen for the last hour. He went into the valley, alone. He never came back, until satellite detected him being extracted by Team Rocket personnel.”
“I failed him,” whispered Sakura emptily. “I failed him.”
Madison continued. “Sakura, I know this is difficult, but you need to read the rest. It concerns us too.”
Curiousity overwhelming her sorrow, Sakura hastily read on, grappling the paper with vicious hands.

He is now ours. He will now serve our cause. He will regret the pain he has caused us!

For such extraordinary success on such a difficult mission, all executives are to be given a 50% bonus for the completion of this mission. Base personnel are to be given a 20% bonus and the option for two weeks’ leave to a destination of their choice in the new year.

Due to the sudden success in Operation:Ghost In The Shell, it has been decided by the board that we are now ready to move to Phase Two of the plan. For as luck would have it, another Fallen Angel has been detected! Furthermore, the identity of the second Fallen Angel has been revealed!

Hence, we are now moving to:

Phase 2 – Operation: Cherry Ripe

Sakura read on through a bewildering list of personal details, statistics and projections until she came across the piece of information she was looking for.
She silently read it. Upon completion, her whole body froze, and she keeled over, falling to the floor heavily, knocked out cold.
Unnerved, Crystal hastily reached for the document, scanning the bottom of the page where Sakura had just been reading:

Your target’s name is Sakura Avalon. Her immediate capture is imperative. With the successful capture of Fire Angel, it is certain that Sakura’s powers will awaken soon as well. The sudden departure of the Clow magic has validated this. There is a shift in Sakura’s being. She is accepting her true destiny. And if left unhindered, she will undoubtedly come looking for us.

May I remind you of the recent failure within the organisation. It was not planned for use to lose Ivy so easily as we did in Strontium City! It was not foreseen that Sakura would have the power within her to be able to defeat one of our greatest assets. Indeed, the consequences of such a loss are still being felt throughout the entire organisation! Ivy was too rash and arrogant in her approach. I demand that no one repeat this behaviour, lest they meet Ivy’s bitter end themselves.

Our newest adversary is most powerful. She will not be as easy to defeat. Spirit Reaper will not be able to aid us in this mission. Sakura is too developed in her own inner powers to be able to fall victim to Spirit Reaper’s mind-control. Hence, we must devise a new method to lure our prey into our grasp!

Maintain transmission alert. Stay ready for new orders. The strategy division should soon have a new plan of attack for Operation: Cherry Ripe. Only then will we move in. Until then, observe the woman for now. And make sure she does not get the scent of Fire Angel! Indeed, is she were to find out our plans now, we may meet the same sticky end our dear Ivy did! That is not an option! Do not slip up when the goal is in sight. Yes, there are still two Fallen Angels to uncover, but there will be other days for that. Focus on the current mission. And while Operation: Ghost In The Shell was an incredible success, I can assure you Operation: Cherry Ripe will be far harder. Wind Angel will be incredibly wounded. And there is nothing more dangerous in the world than a wounded adversary. She will hunt us down. She will seek her own vengeance.

The real mission is just beginning. May we meet it and achieve our own ends once more.

Sincerely,

Dark Ruler

Next time, on When Destinies Collide:

Ash: Fallen Angels?! What the hell are Fallen Angels?! The fact they’re fallen doesn’t sound that inviting! And whatever they are, it seems Sakura and I are linked with them somehow! And where the heck am I, anyway?! And who is this freak that’s taking control of me?!

Madison: Our dear heroine, Sakura, will have her work cut out for her. Now is the time to repay her love for the service he did her near Calcium City. Now it is time for Sakura to save Ash.

Crystal: Yes, but there are some things that don’t make sense! How did Team Rocket know about Sakura losing her magic? What is it they are trying to achieve?! What are the Fallen Angels?! And who the hell is Spirit Reaper?!

Sakura: Well one thing is for sure! When I find Spirit Reaper, I’m going to kick him in the nuts so hard he’ll cry like a baby and beg me for mercy! And then I’ll send him on the way to Hell in a sling!

Crystal: Yikes, that’s extreme!

Sakura: Well, this is getting way out of hand! I don’t remember signing up for this! If it weren’t for that weird floating guy, I wouldn’t have a damn clue what is going on here! Who is he, anyway?! There are too many unknowns here!

Crystal: Maybe we should read our contracts more thoroughly next time we get invited for a new job.

Sakura: Yeah, there’s a lesson for everyone!

Misty: Well there’s one thing you definitely haven’t taken into account!

Crystal: Huh?!

Li: Us. I believe she is talking about the two of us!

Next time on When Destinies Collide – Chapter 33: Delinquent Duo

Crystal: Delinquent Duo?! That doesn’t sound good. As if things weren’t bad enough already!

Misty: Names can be deceiving. Along with contracts.

Li: Yep. Always make sure you write in an escape clause.

Snakes N' Legends
3rd December 2003, 09:32 PM
I knew there was something special about Ash. He has been shocked, flamed, bruised and hurt but it doesn't seem to harm him. No, there was something special about Ash Ketchum ... BUT DID YOU HAVE TO RELEASE CHARIZARD? Come on, Charizard would be an excellent ally. Charizard could have at least help put a hinder on Giovanni's plans ... but the mystery of this fanfic is who is behind all of this? That was the first question I asked when I read this and I shall ask it again. I hope we get to learn who it is. And who was that floating boy?

mr_pikachu
3rd December 2003, 11:27 PM
Hehehehehehe!!! I know who the other Angels are... ehehehehehe!! :D You did a good job of disguising it, CCC, but some things are just too difficult to hide from a geek. Anyway, great, great chapter! This is powerful stuff... it looks like the entire fic's changing before our eyes! What could happen next?! This is one reader who'll definitely be staying tuned! :wave:

P.S. Delinquent Duo?! Why do you insist on getting all these chapter titles from Yu-Gi-Oh card names! Honestly! :rolleyes:

P.P.S. And what the heck is up with that floating guy? HE'S the REAL "Ghost in a Shell"!

mistysakura
4th December 2003, 02:34 AM
Fallen Angels... unlike mr_pikachu, I don't have the insight. At least I get part of the reason why the four cards remained, though.

That was a fantastic chapter -- the whole fic is changing its direction so abruptly. The relationships between characters was good as usual, and we really feel Sakura's fear. Great job.

PancaKe
4th December 2003, 04:14 AM
That was MASSIVE! I swear, one explosive chapter. Now you've got us from thinking "ah its a trainer fic" to "where the hell is this going"???? The suspence and the twists are magnificent, and the only one who knows what is going on is you. Which is a great power to have over the readers. It's so cool. I swear, its really good, that chapter was massive. The whole thing about Fire angels and stuff confused me and i know i'll get it later though. ^^

~Mist

fugelot
4th December 2003, 04:30 AM
Ash the new Bakura lol, Now hes gonna have a fiend yugioh deck hehehe

ZeldaFan20
4th December 2003, 10:55 PM
Well, at least now we think we know who's possessing Ash, but now Sakura'sin trouble?! And her magic is fading, to make things worse!!! Now I just have to know what happens next!

Jon UKX
8th December 2003, 06:48 AM
That was one excellent chapter, finding that Ash is really a fire angel was quite suprising but it leaves me wondering what Sakura's true power is.
I keep wondering if the floating figure that spoke to Sakura was Yue but I have a feeling he could be one of the fallen angels.
I have a rough idea of who the other fallen angels are but I wonder what Team Rocket want the fallen angels for.
Slightly off-topic, do you know when Innocence: Ghost in the Shell is released, I've got the original on DVD and it's absolutely brilliant.

Chris 2.1
8th December 2003, 11:47 AM
Awesome work. Ash...a fallen angel...intriguing indeed. I wonder if any other major characters share the same fate? I know this is going to be great, keep the good work up Ryan

Last Exile
21st December 2003, 07:23 PM
Snakes'N'Legends: Ah well, it seemed too fluffy to bring Charizard back. Ash is coming to a crossroad very soon, and he will be faced with decisions that will affect him forever.

mr_pikachu: Nah, not really! Mr. Floating Guy ain't quite a Ghost In The Shell. Ash is at the moment because there's a personality inside another's body.

mistysakura: Well, it's nice to be appreciated! Congrats on your modship ocne more! ;)

Mist: Well, the Fallen Angels are *cough* what the *cough* sequel will *cough* be about. Wait, did I say that? :D

fugelot: Not likely! Giovanni would be all the fiend cards in one! :D

ZeldaFan20: Fear not! Once I finally figure out how to put it into words, the answers will come.

Jon UKX: The Ghost In The Shell: Innocence movie will be released early 2004, possibly February. Apparently the movie focuses more on Batou rather than Major Kusanagi (bless her soul!), then there will be a full new series under the same title. ;)

Brit Chris: Well, we know one other that does at least! ;)

Okay, I'll eventually get around to figuring out what to do. I've been looking for more inspiration. It's beginning to come again.

Last Exile
14th January 2004, 05:17 AM
Chapter 33 – Delinquent Duo

“Who am I?”
Sakura was standing on the same cliff edge where Ash had his life taken away from him. Looking down, she wondered whether Ash had felt fear when she saw the little pebbles slip from her shoes and fall down, down for what seemed like an eternity until they made a little ripple in the river below.
For so long, everything was clear. She knew where she wanted to go and had an idea how to get there. Even with life’s unexpected twists, she was still able to find her way. Even during this crazy trek, where her every move was being manipulated or coerced, she knew what she wanted and had some idea how to get it. She wanted to make Team Rocket pay for the murder of her mother. For the years that she never got to spend with her, sharing dressing tips, learning how to apply lipstick just the right way, share experiences with boys, feel the warmth of one of her hugs, hear a gentle reassurance from her sweet voice. She had the person that went through nine months of pregnancy and twelve hours of painful labour to bring her into this world, and then she was taken away from her. Sakura had never felt any regret or bitterness over the fact, but now there was a reason.
Her mother’s life had been cut short by someone that didn’t care about her one bit. There was a basis for hate and vengeance. Sakura had never really felt it until now. She always wanted to find a way to resolve a situation without resorting to violence or giving in to hate. She believed in the basic goodness in all people. But she’d found something devoid of sanctity, innocence, decency or emotion. She had found something so insidious, so despicable, so vile, so evil, that she was sickened to her soul.
She wanted vengeance. It was an awful feeling. It burned in her veins like burning fuel, billowing off pitch black smoke that smothered one and knocked them out cold. It was near impossible to put out. The only way to extinguish the fire, to quell the burning inside her that haunted her was to slay the source. She wanted Team Rocket wiped off the face of the planet.
And that meant one thing. She had to kill Giovanni.
There was no other way. The only way to kill the organisation was to chop off the head. Giovanni was the head. Therefore Giovanni had to die. Otherwise his legacy would endure beyond her lifetime. She didn’t want countless millions to suffer her pain. She was going to have to endure hers in order to make life better for others. It was a decision only a mature person could make. Not necessarily a mature adult. Through the ages, younger people have found the bravery to make those decisions to. Age is not the key to making such a decision. Wisdom and selflessness were.
But such and end did not make things easier. She knew the ends, but what were the means? She had lost nearly all of her magic, her mentor was dead, her lover was in enemy hands, and she was the next target of her enemies. How was she supposed to fight back when she didn’t know how?
“When there seems to be no way, make a way.”
Sakura jumped, then looked behind her. A floating figure was beside her, draped in robes that gave an impression that he was important, but he didn’t appear to be from a country or region she knew of. His hardened yet fragile brown eyes wove into her like a wisp of a thousand year old soul. His black hair made him look like a raven, one that was harsh yet sympathetic from years of experience. His skin was light brown, his face was a mixture of positive and negative feelings that switched from moment to moment. Looking into his eyes was like looking into the mists of time.
“You’re…you’re that guy from before. Who are you?”
The mysterious figure smirked. “Who am I, Sakura? I am but a player upon this stage of life, playing my part in this brief moment of a flickering candle, hoping that when it is extinguished it will come to mean something when tomorrow rises.”
Sakura groaned. “Okay, you can quote Shakespeare. I’m impressed that you’re a sensitive male. Now can you get the point where you say why you’re here?”
The figure straightened his expression. “If you wish me to be direct, then I will. When we last met, I said that I could be considered to be a guardian. You lost your spiritual guardian just now. Fate has chosen me to be your new guardian, Sakura.”
Sakura bowed her head and cursed. “I don’t remember asking for a new guardian. I was happy with the one I had, with my lover. I still have my friends. They can protect me.”
“Can they protect themselves?”
Sakura gasped, meeting the figure’s steely stare and his raised eyebrows.
“Is that a threat?”
“Hardly. There are only four people that I really care about in this universe, Sakura, and you are one of them. Any more, and I think I would fall apart. It’s hard enough keeping an eye on the four of you.”
Sakura couldn’t hide the wrinkles that formed on her forehead and the clueless expression on her face. “Four people? What are you talking about? Why am I so important to you? I don’t know you, what you want, or whether you have an ulterior motive. I’ve been betrayed too many times to trust you.”
The figure sighed, closed his eyes, then extended his arm out. “Touch my hand.”
“What?” Sakura’s eyes widened and her mouth fell open.
“Touch my hand. I promise I won’t hurt you. I’d never do that.”
Sakura held her breath, nodded her head, reached her arm out then let her fingers drift towards the figure’s hand. Her small, slender, shapely fingers tentatively drifted, and at the moment they were destined to touch his hand, she almost look away. If she had, she might never believed what had happened next. Her fingers fell right through his hand. Where there should have been flesh, skin and bone, there was only an ethereal presence. This was not a living being that was hovering before her. This was something that was bigger than her and anything she’d ever learned or thought about. This was something that defied logic. This was a miracle.
“You’re…not human.”
The figure smirked once more. “I told you, Sakura. I left behind my humanity a long time ago. I moved on. I am something different now. In a different plane. But I still pledge my allegiance to the people of this planet. My charges are my reason for being. You are one of my charges. I pledge my allegiance to you.”
Sakura’s hands began to tremble, not from fear for her life, but rather from awe. “But why?”
“Because I want to. I don’t live by all the rules. I live for what I believe in. I believe in humanity, even though many of my peers don’t. I know that there exist four people to salvage the good qualities of humanity. I will protect them.”
One particular comment stuck out more than the rest for Sakura. “Your peers don’t support you? Who are your peers?”
“Fellow guardians. Many of them have become disillusioned. They have given up on humanity. Sick of the things that humans do to each other. They don’t want to give humanity another chance. I do. But my allies are few and far between. I daresay that my popularity amongst the guardians is minimal at best. I am an outcast.”
Sakura felt an emotion well up in her that she hadn’t felt for a long time…compassion. It was like a lost child finding its way home. It was an overwhelming sensation that words could never truly describe.
“I’m sorry.”
The figure’s eyebrows rose in surprise. “Why? You did nothing wrong. You never caused me any harm.”
“That still doesn’t mean that I can’t feel anything over you being in pain. You’ve card for me, obviously. You’ve probably watched me for a long time. Made sure that nothing too crazy happened to me when I was young, saw me as a Cardcaptor, watched me grow up, and now you see me as an adult. I probably owe a lot to you, but this is the first time we’ve met. I could’ve gone through my whole life without even knowing you existed. That’s not something I want.”
The figure then smirked once more and a soft laugh emerged from his lips. “That’s so you, Sakura. You’re always caring about others. It’s your best quality. But beware, for it may get you into hot water if you’re too trusting. You’ve been betrayed, you know.”
Sakura ducked her head. A tear ran down her right cheek as her breathing became laboured. “I know. But that doesn’t matter. I will get Ash back.”
The figure’s smirked turned into a cold frown. “You may want to save Ash, Sakura. But I tell you this right now. Ash does not want to be saved.”
Sakura felt her blood freeze as she heard those words. Almost maliciously, she stood herself mere millimetres away from the mysterious figure. “How would you know? You may have watched over me, but I doubt you know Ash that well.”
“I don’t need to. I know his enemy. I know his enemy all too well.”
Sakura felt her heart stop. The mere reference to the name of the person that was the cause of her misery made every hair on her body stand on end. “Spirit Reaper?”
“I don’t know how someone like Giovanni could ever manage to convince someone like Spirit Reaper to join him. Spirit Reaper is a menace that has blighted humanity for 5,000 years. He is a heartless thief that always gets what he wants. His specialty is stealing souls. And believe me, many innocent people have found themselves suffer from his cruel lust for souls.”
Sakura’s hands fell defensively over her chest. “Why does he steal other peoples’ souls? What can he possibly gain from that?”
“Immortality?”
Sakura gasped in horror, her pupils expanding to the point they virtually encompassed her entire eyeballs. “Immortality? He simply switches from host to host? For 5,000 years?! So many people, so many lives.”
“But this situation is different. Ash’s soul was a special target for him. For Spirit Reaper really isn’t fussed as to whose soul he claims. He was ordered to by Giovanni.”
“I know,” replied Sakura harshly. “I saw the secret communications between the Team Rocket leaders. They wanted Ash because he’s some…Fire Angel. And now they want me. Something to do with what they’re calling…Fallen Angels?”
“The Fallen Angels are the last line of defense for the planet against the forces of evil. Whenever they are needed, the Fallen Angels are always there. Four souls, exceptional and willing, ready to do whatever it takes to protect life on Earth. They change from person to person as each generation goes past. As fate would have it, Ash and yourself are two of the Fallen Angels. You are a guardian of this planet.”
Sakura felt like a great lump of lead was hung around her neck as she struggled for breath. “I’m…a guardian of this planet? Okay, now that’s a little far-fetched to believe. Of all the wacky things I’ve come to believe, this is going a bit too far.”
“Why? You said it yourself. So much that you can’t explained has been shown to be real. Now you’re saying that you can’t believe this? Sakura, you’ve already shown yourself to be a hero in your youth. It is only fitting that the universe would select you as one of its ultimate champions.”
“I never asked to,” replied Sakura solemnly, her eyelashes blurring her vision as tears accumulated in them. “I just want to be a normal person. I’m sick of being the hero. Heroes are only appreciated when they’re needed.”
The figure’s smirk instantly shifted into a menacing scowl. “I figured that cynicism is something that Ash would resort to whenever he was up against it. But I never thought you’d be such a wimp and cop out like that. Normal?! There is no such thing as normal!”
Sakura felt a sharp jab in her stomach and began to shrink down, trying to keep her eyes away from the figure. “Shut up, just shut up, please.”
“No, Sakura. You will listen. There is no escaping destiny. You either embrace it or let it slide by. But it will find you. It will confront you. And you’ll be faced with a decision that only you can make. Only you have the power to do that. If you don’t, then I might as well give up on humanity after all.”
That was the breaking point. Sakura felt something surge in her heart once more. A raging gale, swirling and encapsulating her soul. “What?”
“So heroes aren’t always appreciated. Does that mean that heroes shouldn’t exist? Does that mean good people should turn their back on innocent victims when hard times fall upon us? If we did that, we would be people without empathy. And there is a word for a person who is unable to feel empathy, Sakura. Evil.”
It felt like the word was burning into Sakura’s chest. Burning at her fear, her malice, her desire, her love. It was stirring up so many things inside her it felt like she was going to explode. Her head was swimming. She wouldn’t be able to take much more…
“I am not evil! How dare you even accuse me of that!” Sakura clenched her fist, gritted her teeth and stared down the figure, who hadn’t even moved a muscle.
“You accuse others of being cold. Why should you not be accused of the same thing? No one is innocent, Sakura. But that doesn’t mean that people don’t deserve a second chance. Very few people are willing to give them that. You have a chance.”
“But when will it end? I can only give so much.”
“It will end in the near future. There will be others to help you. But for now, you’re on your own.”
“I hate doing it on my own.”
“Sakura, be serious. You had to face so many trials in your youth on your own. You overcame them and turned into a great person. You still have so much to give. We’re all alone in a way. Even when we find the one we love, there’s still parts of us people will never know. We have to accept the fact that no-one can actually stand in our shoes and see the world from our point of view. But you won’t be alone this time.”
“I know. I have my friends. But I can’t live without Ash. And if he is one of the Fallen Angels, then if Team Rocket break him, we’ve lost something we can never get back.”
The figure dared to smile. “Very perceptive, Sakura. For that was just what I was going to say. That is exactly what Team Rocket is doing to Ash right now.”
Sakura’s face contorted in shock. “What? They’re…breaking Ash down?”
“I did tell you that Spirit Reaper is the best at stealing person’s souls. Your dear Ash is stronger than anyone he’s faced before, but he’s got all of Team Rocket’s resources ready to help him. Team Rocket is obsessed with Ash. They want him badly, so badly they’ll stop at nothing to convert him to the dark side. I don’t know where they are holding Ash, but I can hear his soul screaming out. He is weak, barely clinging onto this life anymore. Very much like how you were slipping away not so long ago.”
Sakura buried her face in her hands. “History repeats itself. I don’t care if a part of Ash hates me and for what we’ve done to each other. He saved me one. I have to save him. I love him. Maybe I wasn’t sure before, but I know now. If he leaves me, I’ll have a hole in my heart that’ll never be filled. It’ll eat away at me until I have nothing left.”
“Then you know what you must do.”
“But how can I do it? My powers are gone. I have nothing left to fight with.”
“On the contrary. Your powers are greater than ever.”

“Where…am I?”
“You are home, Ash Ketchum.”
Ash’s blurred vision slowly rippled away, clarity reforming in front of his eyes. The light pierced them, stinging at first, then relieving. He felt like he wished he was still asleep. And after he began to take in his surroundings, he wished he head.
He was strapped to an operating table. The cold, lifeless marble sapped the heat from his body in a vampire-like fashion. The light itself was artificial, fake, devoid of warmth. His skin was laced with a thin glaze of sweat that felt like ice.
“Forgive me if I sound ungrateful, but this hardly seems like home to me.”
“I can see why you’d say that.”
Ash felt himself go even more rigid. He knew that voice. He knew it all too well.
“Okay, now I know this is definitely not home. Home is a place I’d never find you.”
The devilish smirk on Giovanni’s face was the one thing in Ash’s view. “Well, well. I bet you thought we wouldn’t be meeting again so soon, and definitely not under these circumstances.”
Ash groaned. “Knowing you, nothing really surprises me anymore.”
“Come now, Ash. So cold! I swear I don’t think I deserve such an attitude. But then again, I have done you wrong, haven’t I? I can’t expect forgiveness from you just yet.”
“You can expect me to wrap my hands around your neck until you drop dead, you heartless bastard!” came Ash’s scathing reply.
“My parents were married, Ash,” replied Giovanni casually. “But enough small talk. I grow tiresome of this. I shall get straight to the point. You know why we have you here, don’t you?”
Ash struggled to break free of his constraints, but that only succeeded in tightening them even more. “I have not a clue, so enlighten me before I lose my mind, because I’m dying to know,” he replied sarcastically.
Giovanni sighed heavily, then looked as he could have strangled Ash at that moment.
(Side note from Giovanni to readers: As you have already determined, no doubt, since you readers have brain while this here fool doesn’t, I think it would be boring and pointless for you to have to listen to the whole Fallen Angels story again, so since you know what I’m going to say about that, we shall switch back to the other scene of this chapter. We will return shortly.)
“Okay then. Let’s start from the beginning…”

“My powers are stronger? But I don’t even have any!”
The figure in front of Sakura sighed. “I thought it was already clear. You’re a Wind Angel. That doesn’t even sound powerful to you?”
Sakura paused for a moment, composed herself, then raised her head. “Well, I guess so. But I thought my magic cards would be better. I’m sued to them.”
“Believe me, Sakura. The powers of those cards pale in comparison to the powers of a Fallen Angel. A Fallen Angel virtually has the world in the palm of their hand once they understand their powers. Can you comprehend that?”
Sakura gasped, unable to imagine such a thing. “That’s a bit hard for me to imagine.”
The figure almost looked as if he was ready to explode, then he composed himself and continued. “Put it this way. You’re going to need it. Team Rocket need to be stopped. And furthermore, Ash is running out of time. In 24 hours, Giovanni will have succeeded in converting Ash to his cause. And if that happens, you’ll lose him for good. His actions over the last day or two have already shown that he’s slowly being converted.”
Sakura gulped. “Well, he has been acting weird, but I get the impression you’re about to say he’s done more than I know about.”
“Well, to put it bluntly, he threw away all of his Pokemon into a river, then one of his former ones came and set him on fire to initiate his awakening as a Fire Angel, then he willingly left with Team Rocket. Does that spell it out for you?”
At that moment, whatever restraints that were on Sakura’s composure were completely. She felt rage flare up inside her like never before. Her hair felt like it truly was fire. Her eyes were venomous, her skin glowing. “That does it! I’ve had enough of being jerked around! If I do have the power to settle this once and for all, then this will end today. Team Rocket will regret the day they messed with me! And I’m not going to be that quick to forgive Ash either!”
“So you’re ready to do what is necessary then?” asked the figure solemnly.
“Hell yes!” came Sakura’s vicious reply. “I want revenge.”
“Good,” came the figure’s firm reply. “It is time to initiate you into the ways of the Fallen Angels. Meet me in the fields on the outskirts of Strontium City in ten minutes. I have a quick matter to attend to.”
“I’ll be there!” And with that, Sakura sped out of the room towards her destination, for once full of determination and knowing what she wanted to do.
The figure stood there for a moment, then smiled to himself as a second person materialised next to him in an aura of green and blue.
“I’d figure you’d show up sooner or later…Crystal.”
Crystal couldn’t help but smirk herself. “We were bound to meet again soon. Better now than later. I’m surprised you didn’t show up earlier.”
“Your presence made things easier on my part. Although I didn’t anticipate Giovanni learning about Ash’s and Sakura’s true identities so soon. This is not a good sign.”
Crystal nodded pensively. “We have to make sure the identities of the other two Fallen Angels remain a secret until the time comes for the four to unite. If we lose any one of them, the plan will fail.”
“Yes,” replied the figure. “Ash is almost lost to us. But I have faith.”
“That is all we can have now,” replied Crystal, smoothing her hair out. “She is capable. But I’m leaving the initiation up to you. I will aid you during the final battle, but until then, I must not involve myself, lest our true identities be revealed.”
“That is paramount,” replied the figure. “There will be a time with we can disclose that information. But until then, it must remain a mystery. I must say, I was incredibly impressed with how you’ve managed not to arouse any suspicions of theirs regarding you.”
“You flatter me,” giggled Crystal. “But I think there’s another quick stop you have before the initiation. I won’t hold you up any longer…Alex.”
Alex paused then smiled. “You’re right, as usual…my dear. I won’t be long. If you wish to watch the initiation, you may, but try to keep out of Sakura’s sight for a bit.”
“No problem…dear.”
“Until then.” Alex levitated towards Crystal until their faces were mere millimetres apart. Crystal wrapped her arms around his face and smothered his lips with hers in a passionate kiss.

Alex was now in a deep underground tunnel. Dripping water flowed all around him. The odd sound of an insect or a rodent could be heard. Two people were standing next to him, ripe with anticipation.
“I thank you for your assistance in this matter. Saying those exact words set off a chain reaction in her. Sakura will awaken at last, and now that the exact location of this base will be revealed, this is the chance you two will have to finally get your lives back. By midnight tomorrow, you will be free once more. And rest assured that your deeds here have more than nullified any harm you were forced to commit under this vile organisation.”
“You are most gracious.”
“Well, that is all. I must begin the initiation. Have nice lives, you two.”
Alex quickly shimmered out of sight. The two figures were left it darkness, but that couldn’t hide their smiles.
“Well, Misty, looks like it’s goodbye to this rathole,” joked Li.
“Indeed. I’d say things are looking up for once,” smirked Misty.

Well, I hope you enjoyed that. Because I've made a decision:

The next chapter of WDC will be the LAST!

That's right, the end is near! ;) The sequel will be happening soon! So hopefully before the latest awards are done, this can be completed and archived. Hope you enjoy how it turns out. ;)

Andrew
14th January 2004, 05:44 AM
Guh, I'm confused :\

I got the part where Ash um like turned evil and stuff. But can we have perhaps a short mini chapter about what Happened to the Pokemon, and um where they turned up, that'd be tops thanks :) Mainly because otherwise I'll spend the entire sequel going "OMG WHAT ABOUT PIKACHUU!!!!"

So Sakura is a wind angel.

Are the other two Crystal and Madison? Or Misty and Li? Or that new fellow? Or is it like Amy... I liked the robed fellow, perhaps he could've been a bit snarkier :)

So Giovanni stealing Souls, sure this isn't a Buffy B Plot ;)

And regarding the Clow Cards, why not have them "Absorbed" into Sakura, that way we don't have to see them again, and stuff :)

But I hope in Ascension Ash learnt to read. And Maddy's taken a backseat now :( So is Meowth and Togepi still with them? Our last remaining Pokemon Links.

Good work, but you confused me.

Last Exile
14th January 2004, 06:41 AM
OzAndrew: Well, eys, I kinda expected that. The last chapter will explain some things and leave some open for the sequel. You've guessed something that happens in the last chapter though, so your wits are about you Andy! ;) As for the characters, they are going to be phased out a bit. 4 mains in the sequel doesn't leave much room for that many extras.

ZeldaFan20
14th January 2004, 07:48 AM
Boy, that chapter sure was a shocker! So Ash and Sakura are guardians?! and Crystal is in league with this "Alex person"?! But, still, how did he manage to get to Misty and Li? Gee, so many questions---and I'm guessing we'll all have to wait a while to get them answered. Great story, but don't keep us guessing for too long!

Snakes N' Legends
14th January 2004, 05:24 PM
Interesting chapter. Sakura knows her true identity and she is off to save Ash before he is turned to the Dark Side.

Ash: Get away from me, Giovanni.

Giovanni: Ash, I am your father.

Ash: NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Sure, I couldn't resist. It does sound like something out of Star Wars if Giovanni was Ash's father but I'd doubt Giovanni would do that to his son ... although Giovanni could pull a Lionel Luthor and treat Ash the same way Lionel treats Lex.

Question, if Yami and Amy are the two other guardians which I believe is correct (though I don't understand how you can have Yami with Yugi), how will the help out? Yami is a Pharoah or a spirit of a Pharoah if you are going for modern times and Amy is a Sailor Scout. If Ash is a Fire Angel, Sakura is a Wind Angel, then Amy must be a Water Angel (Well she does use water attacks along with Ice Attacks), then what type of Angel is Yami if he and Amy are the two other guardians ... if I am right which I am probably wrong?

Yes, that was a mouthful but I can simplify it in two questions. Are Yami and Amy the two other guardians and what are their powers? (And how are you going to do the whole Yami thing if you are going to set it in the present instead of the past?)

Anyways, I will be glad to read the sequel to this.

mr_pikachu
14th January 2004, 06:11 PM
*shoots SNL* Shuttap! You give away too much! CCC is cunning author! You are fool to give secrets away! [/fake Russian voice]

Erhem... Well, this was certainly interesting, though I pretty much expected the Sakura = Wind Angel part. The mysterious guy shows up again... but what the hay?!? Crystal knows him... and MORE! *gasp* No way... you can't be serious! That's... crazy! :o

Note to SNL: See, THIS is how you say you know something without giving it away to everyone else. *smacks back of SNL's head*

Anyway, I DID have a relevant comment to make, believe it or not. I noticed that there were a LOT of typos in this chapter, much more than your usual average. You might want to go through it once more to pick those off, because I know it isn't like you to make that many errors. Also, pardon me if I say Alex is a bit Shadi-ish. (You know what I'm saying!)

And Misty and Li escaping! Yayness! ^_^

P.S. I know everyone's expecting me to say it, so I will.

OMG WHAT ABOUT PIKACHUU!!!! *winks at Oz*

mistysakura
15th January 2004, 11:46 PM
Well, that explained quite a bit... shockingly. I'm not going to repeat the events of the chapter, becuase I always thought that was kind of pointless (although I always did it.)

Anyway, I think that it's good that Misty and Li are free now, since nothing seems to have happened with them for ages. I hope that stuff like what they actually did to help Alex etc. will be revealed sometime. (Shoot me if you've told us already... I've a knack for forgetting vital parts of fics, as mr_pikachu knows.)

Sakura's personality was portrayed well -- she does have her weak moments. I like it when characters are human.

Watch the typos; or maybe it's just my weird computer that doesn't display stuff properly. Also, the dialogue, although better than previous chapters, sounds a bit weird -- not conversational enough (even though "conversation" seems too casual a word.) I'm not talking about Alex, since he's probably meant to be like that, or Giuovanni and Ash, who are good enough. Sakura, on the other hand, seems to talk a bit too... I can't find a word for it. "Poetic"'s the closest I can find. I wouldn't expect most people to speak like that.

Nothing against your writing aility, but one of the most shocking phrases in your post was "The next chapter of WDC will be the LAST!" That's quick... I know it's alreaday 33 chapters, but there's still so much. I guess that's why sequels exist. :D Now I'm hoping (already) that the Yu-Gi-Oh! side of it will be interesting enough for me to bother to understand... but I trust you.

psychic25
29th January 2004, 08:22 PM
I read part of this a really long time ago, and thought it was excellent (but never had time to respond). And I just finished reading the whole rest of the thing! This is an INCREDIBLE story, and I have to say, CCC, you are an awesome writer. I try, but... I can never do anything like this.

Pig on the Wing
31st January 2004, 10:00 AM
I've been reading this fic for some time now...

I'd just like to say that it's a top quality fanfic. I'll be sad to see it end although I look forward to the sequel.

A note on Alex, have you played a game called Golden Sun by any chance, as there is a character named Alex who seems very familiar to the Alex here. Probably coincedence though...

:wave:

PancaKe
1st February 2004, 03:32 AM
Brilliant.

Need I say any more?

Well, I will. Sequel should be great, although the sudden "guardian" shocked me, I can sort of understand it. Thing is, I dont trust you Ryan. You could make that guardian Alex turn evil, as it sounded when he was talking to Misty and Li. Because, weren't Misty and Li wearing guns and planning to kill a few chapters ago???

ANyway

God bless!

~Mist

Last Exile
11th February 2004, 04:28 AM
Well, things will be coming to an end soon.

Firstly, thansk for your support in the awards. 7 awards, and mainly in categories I thought were appropriate. Thanks guys!

I've actually written more than the first chapter of the seuqel than the final chapter for this one! :D And I'm been watching anime as well. I can tell you three things though:

1. The final chapter, Chapter 34, will be called....'Infection'

2. One certain aspect of WDC will be completely wiped out for good in Fallen Angels, the sequel.

3. If anyone that reads this has watched the anime Shingetsutan Tsukihime (True Tales of the Moon Princess, a vampire/romance anime), you will probably figure out how this is going to end. If not, you might want to read up on it. I watched this one in order to help me write this last chapter.

Last Exile
21st March 2004, 03:07 AM
Okay, i've made a decision todya.

I will not ever be writing the final chapter of this fic. I'm scrapping this altogether. It's been interesting but I think I'm capable of better. Basically in the last chapter Sakura would have been awakened as a Wind Angel, save Ash's sorry but and wreck the TR base, Gio lives another day, Misty and Li get away, Madison and Meowth were saved. Ash feels like killing himself over the whole thing but Sakura won't let him because she loves him too much. He eventually gives into her and that's the way things end.

So I'm giving my time to something more important - the sequel, Fallen Angels. Because I went to a writing seminar that lasted all weekend by a professional fantasy author that lives in my state, Fiona McIntosh. She's a wonderful woman and has 4 novels published, with two more on the way soon. Her ideas have inspired me to make Fallen Angels something more than a silly little fic just for here. I'd like to write it properly and make it something more. So I wrote the first chapter, and she said she'd give me some editing advice every now and then. She said she likes my idea for this, and has some feedback to give soon. Once I make some more adjustments. I'll start posting my new fic.

Look, sorry if you're disappointed, but hey. From now on, I'll be writing something a lot better. ;) There will be no references to anime or the like at all. This is going to be a mixture of realism and fantasy elements. Something that could potentially be published one day. So expect to see that up soon. ;)

PancaKe
21st March 2004, 04:13 AM
I think thats actually where many of the older members on this board are heading. Definantly not all, but most. more and more non pokemon fics are coming up latley, and i think that some of us could well have them published one day. You're not the first to take this step away from the familiar territories of already existing characters and places into new creative worlds, but I know you can do it.

Im dissapointed, but I know that whatever you hand out to us will be your finest yet and I support you all the way.

Luv yew!

~Mist

Andrew
21st March 2004, 04:53 AM
Ah Ryan, I know how that feels, morphing your fic as you grow and develop, but I'm sad you abandoned it just right at the end... oh well.

Tara, I absolutely agree, we're all moving away from Pokemon, and BBP had a MASSIVE ***** to me the other day on AIM about it saying basically Fanfic was awful because we didn't have any fics on Ash and Misty anymore.

Ah well, the next thing should be fun eh?

Thanks Ryan.

mistysakura
23rd March 2004, 03:59 AM
*sees WDC's topic active* *thinks "the one day I'm away he has to post the final chapter...* *clicks topic* *damn*

Heck, there's no lying; I'm disappointed. Although I knew you were losing interest, I thought at least you'd continue it until the end... I'm not accusing you of anything, in case that's what you're thinking. But it's your choice, and without you we wouldn't have this wonderful fic in the first place! This is always going to be a classic.

Have fun wirting the sequel!

mr_pikachu
30th March 2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by mistysakura:

*sees WDC's topic active* *thinks "the one day I'm away he has to post the final chapter...* *clicks topic* *damn*

*sees WDC's topic active* *thinks "the one week I'm away he has to post the final chapter...* *clicks topic* *damn*

:( Aw, man! I hate that this has to end like this, after such an inspiring effort. You've done such a great job on this fic that it kind of stings to see it tossed away. Like mistysakura, I wish you could've finished it off. But I understand, too. I've had times I've really wanted to quit a writing project, and I usually just force myself to write until it's a total piece of junk. It's understandable that you'd prefer putting it away to finishing it inadequately. I've kinda been worried that this might happen, but I was just hoping it wouldn't. I also see your point about making fics non-Pokemon; you can't really do much of anything with fanfics except put them on fanfic sites. I've tried to write some purely original fiction myself, lately. So it's understood, believe me.

On a final note, this is, IMO, one of the best fics to ever be put on TPM. I mean it. In my time here I've read a lot of writing, but most of it doesn't come close to holding a candle to this. It's good stuff, man. You're a good writer, and don't let that go to waste.

Guess I'm a Fallen Angels reader now... ;)

Gavin Luper
3rd April 2004, 12:15 AM
I know exactly what you mean Ryan.

It's like Tara said, we're all growing away from pokemon now - by we, I mean everyone who's been here for a few years, and is a bit older.

I've been starting to do the exact thing that you've done, too. LTL is drawing to a close, and I want to write for real - like, something I can really be proud of and take into the real world in some way or another.

So it's sad to see this end, even though I haven't been reading for ages.

But Fallen Angels looks awesome - I had a glance at it today, and I have to say that once I catch up, I'll be an avid reader of your work once more!

Cheers mate!

PS: This is Collingwood's year, I tell you! WE WILL WIN!