PDA

View Full Version : what ever happend to dexter

watermaster
30th April 2003, 09:15 PM
ash's pokedex (dexter) was like a person in the first season
what i mean is it didn't just show a pokemon's data and the gang called him dexter, but after awile about the time togepi showed
up it's just been called a regular pokedex no extra info, no refrence to calling him dexter. has anyone else have a opinion
on what happend?

ILikePokemonP
1st May 2003, 01:47 AM
Dexter was abandoned after Ash left for Johto and got his new pokedex.

Blue Hiker
1st May 2003, 03:29 AM
Firstly, ILikePokemon is right, Ash did get a new Pokédex at the start of Johto.

Of course, you can't expect 4Kids to remember that, right? Ash called his Pokédex "Dexter" in at least one Master Quest episode...

BenRG
1st May 2003, 06:31 AM
I'm not sure if Ash got a new Pokédex, BH. However, I do know that he had its' database and other software upgraded before he went to Johto.

Perhaps, as a consequence of the upgrades, Dexter's cache files and the unique 'quirks' that made it like a person in the gang's eyes were lost. So it wasn't really Dexter anymore, just a Pokédex sqatting on his EPROM chips. :P

Hanada Tattsu
1st May 2003, 03:18 PM
Yeah, but the dubbers still made Ash call him "Dexter" in a recent Master Quest episode.

The reasoon I didn't say "the writers" was because Dexter is a name made up by the dubbers. In the original, Satoshi-tachi just call it the Pokemon Zukan, or the Pokedex.

Entropy
1st May 2003, 06:47 PM
Really?

In 'PokeDex', What does 'dex mean? Is 'PokeDex' a translation of 'Pokemon Zukan?'

Hanada Tattsu
1st May 2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Entropy
Really?

In 'PokeDex', What does 'dex mean? Is 'PokeDex' a translation of 'Pokemon Zukan?'

No, I think they called it the Pokedex for some other reason.

I think Pokemon Zukan means "Pokemon Encyclopedia" or something like that, Pokedex is not a direct translation of that word.

Pewter City Geodude
1st May 2003, 09:58 PM
Pokedex is just a contraction of "Pokemon Index".

Hanada Tattsu
2nd May 2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Pewter City Geodude
Pokedex is just a contraction of "Pokemon Index".

Yeah, and Pokemon Index or Pokemon Encyclopedia translate directly to Pokemon Zukan in Japan, so I think it is kind of a direct translation.

In the Japanese, they just refer to it as Zukan, BTW.

Legends-Kuja
3rd May 2003, 09:50 PM
Annie: I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED!

Oakley: MEMEMEMEME!

Both: DEXTER GOT A LAME *** VOICE AFTER THE INDIGO LEAGUE AND ASH NEVER LIKED IT!

(You go, girls)

Oddish17
3rd May 2003, 11:15 PM
Zukan refers to a collection of pictures, but I guess in the world of pokemon its definition has been expanded upon.

I miss Dexter :(

Hanada Tattsu
4th May 2003, 11:15 AM
Yeah, Dexter had a freaky voice after Oak upgraded it during the episode where Misty gets Togepi.

I hate its new voice, I'm glad it gets a new voice during Advance.

Pewter City Geodude
4th May 2003, 01:32 PM
I wonder what May's Pokedex will sound like...maybe it'll have a female voice, wouldn't that be funny? :P

Gravy
4th May 2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
Yeah, Dexter had a freaky voice after Oak upgraded it during the episode where Misty gets Togepi.

I hate its new voice, I'm glad it gets a new voice during Advance.

This new voice during AG you speak of.......is it a female voice? I know for a fact its that way in the japanese version.
Unless thats another thing 4Kids decided to change, along with the music.

Hanada Tattsu
5th May 2003, 06:13 PM
Yeah, both Ash and May's Pokedex-es have new, upgraded, female voices.

I remember it was that way in the original, but it's been a while since I saw the dubbed sneak peeks, so can anyone remind me?