PDA

View Full Version : Something that I noticed while watching Pokémon Paparazzi...

Crystal Mew
30th April 2003, 11:34 PM
Okay,Iwas watching this episode today on cartoon network..and noticed that they changed Todd's name to Snap :o

At first I thought I was hearing things,lol

cause Ash was like, "Missed again Snapper!"

o_0; and meowth "Here comes that Snap kid"

._.; so great..they changed Todd's name to Snap...even though everyone was wondering why they didnt name him Snap in the first place, lol

Now if only they would change pokemon names... like in the 1st movie... its Alakazam! not Syther :P

and Pidgeotto..not Pidgeot

XD

oh well... o_o discuss

ILikePokemonP
1st May 2003, 01:52 AM
Wasn't it always like that?

Blue Hiker
1st May 2003, 03:26 AM
The original version of the episode called him Snap... that's what he's called outside the US and maybe on the videos too, not sure.

Kids' WB wanted him to be called Todd for some reason, so his name was changed at the last minute. Obviously the version CN got wasn't the WB version. (Good!)

Hanada Tattsu
1st May 2003, 03:21 PM
Yeah, outside of Kids WB, Todd is known as Snap. Even on the videos and Cartoon Network, he's known as Snap.

I don't know what's wrong with the name Snap, Kids WB scares me. Even when Snap returns in Season 4, WB remembers and changes it to Todd again. O_O

Entropy
1st May 2003, 06:51 PM
From what I have read, KidsWB! changed it due to fears of copyright protection or something by the use of the name Snap for 'Rice Crispies.'

Yup, I think it's stupid as well. KidsWB! needs to take some Valium.

Riven
1st May 2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Crystal Mew

Now if only they would change pokemon names... like in the 1st movie... its Alakazam! not Syther :P

and Pidgeotto..not Pidgeot

Ah you just got the above mixed up.

It's Syther instead of Alakazam
and
Pidgeot instead of Pidgeotto

You know, I think it would've been cool if when Ash went into that machine that it created a clone of him that only the clone pokemon of the real Ash listen too, that would've been good.

Hanada Tattsu
1st May 2003, 09:49 PM
That really is stupid.

I don't understand why Kids WB is so neurotic about these things. Why do they think they will be sued by a [b]cereal company[/i] for what they name their characters?

I mean, look, they make puns out of movie names, and do they expect to be sued by the movie makers? The name Todd is in thousands of movies, and are have they been sued?

Too Cool Scyther
2nd May 2003, 12:42 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the very first time Todd debuted to the anime, the United States aired it before Canada.

They called him Todd. Canada, got the episodes a few weeks later and it was changed to Snap.

I'm guessing Cartoon Network just aired the one they aired in Canada.

Does anyone know if they called Todd, "Snap" again when he showed up in the Johto episodes? In US, they called him Todd of course.

ILikePokemonP
2nd May 2003, 02:38 AM
Lol @ big companies that don't know what to do :)

Volbachutwotlepuff
2nd May 2003, 05:35 AM
ahh POKéMON Papparazzi one of the few PKMN eps to be shown on Saturday night (no annoying Jade & Ryan :D ) well here it was Snap & in Series 4 it was Todd, (Not exact dialogue) Snap (Series 1): "Hey my names Snap" Ash Series 4 "hey look its our old friend Todd!" Snap (series 4): "My names Snap dammit!" Ash (Series 4):"Hello Todd" :D

Hanada Tattsu
2nd May 2003, 08:45 AM
Yeah, come to think of it, I think Canada changed it to Snap because they wanted to advertise the new Pokemon game for Nintendo 64, "Pokemon Snap".

I think when Johto came around, they really didn't care since the novelty of the game had passed on.

EmpressMyuu
2nd May 2003, 09:47 PM
I know, that's something that makes my head spin too. Is he really Snap or Todd? I had seen "Pokémon Paparazzi" once before, and didn't remember that his name was Snap at all. What I remember most is the three-episode Articuno saga, and since then I've known him as Todd. I could really care less what a little cereal company thinks. There's a character named Snap on "Chalk Zone". So do you think anyone really cares what this poor identity-crisis child is named?

Hanada Tattsu
3rd May 2003, 08:50 AM
That's just the thing. I don't think the cereal company does care, because if they did, then the wouldn't let Cartoon Network air it like that anyway.

It's just Kids WB's being neurotic and worrying about little things that may never occur.

Entropy
3rd May 2003, 10:57 AM
It's not what may never occur, but WILL never occur.

Hanada Tattsu
3rd May 2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Entropy
It's not what may never occur, but WILL never occur.

Yeah, I doubt Kids WB and 4 Kids would go in and edit a three year old episode, Todd/Snap has left and for now isn't coming back, so what's use of re-editing if it's not worth doing?

ILikePokemonP
4th May 2003, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu

Yeah, I doubt Kids WB and 4 Kids would go in and edit a three year old episode, Todd/Snap has left and for now isn't coming back, so what's use of re-editing if it's not worth doing? Knowing Kids WB's brain power, they'll probably edit it but never show the episode again :rolleyes:

Hanada Tattsu
4th May 2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by ILikePokemon:P
Knowing Kids WB's brain power, they'll probably edit it but never show the episode again :rolleyes:

Yeah, they dubbed The Legend of Dratini, but they never aired it, so they've probably already edited it and decided not to re-air it for some strange reason.

Nikku-San
5th May 2003, 12:56 AM
I think I prefer Todd... ^^;; Ever since I first saw the ep in like April 1999, early in the morning, I have known him as Todd. And the episodes I saw back then really stuck with me, probably because of a bunch of traumatic events at the time... heh. It was either that August or the next August I rented the "Picture Perfect" video and heard them calling him Snap and I was like "What the...". Why change a characters name just to promote a video game that while innovative wasn't much to play more than once? Well, he's Todd to me, always has been, always will be.

Animelee
5th May 2003, 09:26 AM
Maybe a Canadian like myself can clear things up.

Back in April 1999, we Canadians were getting new episode after new episode. Anyways, we were way ahead of Kids WB!, because I am also lucky enough to subscribe to Kids WB!, and they were WAYYYY behind. So, anyways, his name was originally Snap, because of Pokemon Snap, but I guess Gail Tilden, the Nintendo representitive for 4Kids, got a message from Nintendo, saying that the character in their "Pokemon Snap" game, is named Todd, after the Japanese name "Tooru". So, basically, Kids WB!, the main POkemon network, got the edited versions of the episodes. They always get the edited versions, like when Jesse was getting her butt slapped by a big woman in the first episode where Jigglypuff appears, and when Meowth was using a match in an igloo, for example.

So, there, I hope I cleared everything up!

Edit: Changed "NIntendo" to "Nintendo".

Nikku-San
5th May 2003, 01:30 PM
Ah... I see. Well, then I guess it's officially Todd, right? And I would like to see Meowth with the match in the igloo, hehe.

Entropy
5th May 2003, 02:20 PM
Gail Tilden, huh Otaku?

Hmm, does anyone know if she or Nintendo somehow had any manipulation over 4Kids' major changes to the anime?

Hanada Tattsu
5th May 2003, 06:01 PM
Gail Tilden, huh Otaku?

Hmm, does anyone know if she or Nintendo somehow had any manipulation over 4Kids' major changes to the anime?

Ya' know, they probably do, for the most minor things.

I guess Nintendo was the driving force behind 4Kids's choice to ban "The Legend of Dratini" and the universally banned "Electric Hero Porygon".

However, the cultural changes are all behind 4Kids.

Animelee
6th May 2003, 09:20 AM
She's basically the one who lets them know the names of characters from the game, such as gym leaders, or even minor characters. Though, I wonder why Gail never realised that "Prima" was Lorelli... Oh well.

I read an interview with her in my dad's stock market magazine back in 2000. She says she plays the games over and over, until everything is memorized, and then she confirms things with the people at Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Canada, because they are the people that translate the games, and know mostly everything about them.

Now, I see her in the credits for the Kirby anime, too. Hopefully Nintendo will make more anime series.

Hanada Tattsu
6th May 2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Otaku Shigeru
She's basically the one who lets them know the names of characters from the game, such as gym leaders, or even minor characters. Though, I wonder why Gail never realised that "Prima" was Lorelli... Oh well.

I read an interview with her in my dad's stock market magazine back in 2000. She says she plays the games over and over, until everything is memorized, and then she confirms things with the people at Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Canada, because they are the people that translate the games, and know mostly everything about them.

Now, I see her in the credits for the Kirby anime, too. Hopefully Nintendo will make more anime series.

That's wierd, so Gail Tilden is kind of like a consultant to the animators at OLM in Japan?

Reece
6th May 2003, 05:52 PM

There is no Nintendo of Canada Nintendo of America is also a Canadian thing

Entropy
6th May 2003, 06:19 PM
Though, I wonder why Gail never realised that "Prima" was Lorelli... Oh well.

I'm pretty sure she did. The issue was that in the Japanese version, Lorelei had a name that was less than the 3 syllables that Lorelei had. Apparently, the cut it down to 'Prima', but it sure did confuse people, including me when I first saw the episode. Poor planning if you ask me.

Nikku-San
6th May 2003, 06:25 PM
That explains it! I always wondered about that...

Hanada Tattsu
6th May 2003, 10:14 PM
I don't think it was that big a change, they could have easily edited her lips just like they do to James.

For example, Kojirou is three syllables, and James is two, so they just edit it.

The Rusted One
7th May 2003, 05:40 AM
Sorry if this has been said, and knowing my luck, it has...but, even though I don't know the real reason for why the name change, I guess this may explain "Todd". Okay, so, "Snap" is one name...taking from the onomatopoeia, which is also sometimes used as a verb, like, "to snap a photo"...okay, quiet, so I haven't heard that ever, but shhh. Anyway, so, "snap" is equivalent to "take", as in, to take a photo - and what's the Japanese equivalent? Unless I'm so bad at Japanese that I'm going to fail this year's Japa104 paper, it's "toru" ("torimasu", other such forms). And the "r" sound in "ru" is rolled, and so sounds a bit like a "d", not just a strange mix of "r" and "l"; and so, it becomes "Todu", if you stretch it not particularly far at all. And the closest English name to that is...Tod. Or Todd, in this case. Also, just to totally shortcut that, isn't his Japanese name "Toru"? Yeah. So I didn't actually help. But I found it interesting.

Hanada Tattsu
7th May 2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by The Rusted One
Sorry if this has been said, and knowing my luck, it has...but, even though I don't know the real reason for why the name change, I guess this may explain "Todd". Okay, so, "Snap" is one name...taking from the onomatopoeia, which is also sometimes used as a verb, like, "to snap a photo"...okay, quiet, so I haven't heard that ever, but shhh. Anyway, so, "snap" is equivalent to "take", as in, to take a photo - and what's the Japanese equivalent? Unless I'm so bad at Japanese that I'm going to fail this year's Japa104 paper, it's "toru" ("torimasu", other such forms). And the "r" sound in "ru" is rolled, and so sounds a bit like a "d", not just a strange mix of "r" and "l"; and so, it becomes "Todu", if you stretch it not particularly far at all. And the closest English name to that is...Tod. Or Todd, in this case. Also, just to totally shortcut that, isn't his Japanese name "Toru"? Yeah. So I didn't actually help. But I found it interesting.

No, thanks for clearing that up!

I knew he was named Todd because his Japanese name was Toru, but I didn't know how the Japanese equivalent was sounded out, whether it was To-ru or To-r or To-du or To-d.

Thanks, TRO.

Animelee
12th May 2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Reece
There is no Nintendo of Canada Nintendo of America is also a Canadian thing

www.nintendo.ca

Animelee
12th May 2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
That's wierd, so Gail Tilden is kind of like a consultant to the animators at OLM in Japan?

I guess so. It said that she and the 4Kids producers (Norman Grossfield, etc.) are in touch with the producers and writers in Japan daily, because they need to know about what's happening in the anime. Sometimes for promotions, sometimes to get ready for advertising, etc.

Hanada Tattsu
12th May 2003, 05:40 PM
I guess so. It said that she and the 4Kids producers (Norman Grossfield, etc.) are in touch with the producers and writers in Japan daily, because they need to know about what's happening in the anime. Sometimes for promotions, sometimes to get ready for advertising, etc.

That's wierd.

I wonder why Gail Tilden doesn't tell the producers and writers not to put any guns in the episodes? Not that I don't want banning of guns in the show, it's just curiosity.

Entropy
12th May 2003, 06:35 PM

Not to mention to have time to change anything they find 'odd' or 'unacceptable' in their standards. 'Japanese writing? Well, that's as good as gone!'

Hanada Tattsu
12th May 2003, 07:13 PM
Not to mention to have time to change anything they find 'odd' or 'unacceptable' in their standards. 'Japanese writing? Well, that's as good as gone!'

Yeah, I don't think the Japanese should edit out Japanese writing just cause Gail Tilden or Norman Grossfield don't wanna edit more stuff out.