PDA

View Full Version : Fanfic Reviewer Organisation - General Topic!

Gavin Luper
8th April 2006, 01:55 AM
The Fanfiction Reviewer Organisation – General Topic.

G’day!

Well, Lord knows how long it’s taken to get this back up and running, but at last I’ve got around to it after a fairly significant prodding from various people. Welcome back to the new and improved Fanfiction Reviewer Organisation, the organisation that rates and reviews your fics as requested! As with the last version, the FFRO has been split into two different threads to allow everything to flow smoothly.

This topic is the General Topic - in here, you request for your fic to be reviewed by the raters (who have been announced in the Review Topic (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/index.php?topic=43933.0)) and also any questions about the FFRO, or any queries or complaints go here.

As ever, credit for the original version goes to the esteemed Andy Newer.

What does belong here:

* Requests to have your fic reviewed.
* General questions about the FFRO.
* General comments, complaints, talk, etc.

What doesn't belong here (belongs in the Review Topic (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/index.php?topic=43933.0)):

* Reviews by the raters.
* Questions about the rating process.

These can be found in the Rewiew Topic.

It should also be noted that, if a writer is dissatisfied with a review they have been given - for example, if it is inadequate or they think has been unfairly rated, perhaps due to bias on the reviewer's behalf - then they can ask for their fic to be re-reviewed by someone else. This would be best to be done by a simple request in this thread; otherwise, writers can of course PM a specific reviewer and request that they review their fic. Re-reviews will be processed in the same way as all other fics-to-be-reviewed - they will not be pushed back in the queue or pushed ahead.

Simple, eh? So, without any further ado (or procrastinating ^_^) I declare the FFRO open and active once again!

*explodes a party popper*

Hurrah!

OK then, any requests or questions, fire away guys! Requests will be compiled into lists regularly and then given to the raters.

Cheers!

Hyperness is a Good Thing
8th April 2006, 02:00 AM
Yay! First reply!
I request for my fic, An Iapapa Berry - Lostelle's tale, to be reviewed! I would prefer it if the reviewer could state my fic's weaknesses so that I can improve on them.
The link is in my Sig. Thanks. =)

Chris 2.1
8th April 2006, 05:58 AM
I would be very grateful if both my fanfics could be reviewed.

Monica's Vendetta
The Pokemon Masters League (A Tribute to ASB)

Please note with the latter, it is a fic based off the ASB League. So it's basically a Pokemon league. Characters are modelled off TPM members and such.

Thanks.

Mega Horny
8th April 2006, 10:26 AM
I would like my fic, AFPF to be reviewed. It has a slow start, but has some great stuff planned for it and I would like to have another review later when I've completed more chapters. If you want, I can also PM you chapters 6 - 8, which are not yet posted in the thread.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
8th April 2006, 10:45 AM
I'd like my Fic: Screams of pain to be reviewed, because I think it's n00bish, full of errors and so. I can work on the errors and stuff, but I wanna know what people think of the plot (as far as there is any in the first chapters) and all kinds of stuff. Thanks in advance.

- MLG

Dragonfree
8th April 2006, 12:02 PM
I would like a review of The Quest for the Legends (link in my sig) from somebody with the patience to read 31 chapters. ^^; Just note that the beginning chapters are very bad and I'm already revising them again. (In fact, I may actually merge the new first chapters into the old version, at the risk of maybe having very slight inconsistencies with later chapters...)

Samchu
8th April 2006, 01:03 PM
I would like to request a review of the join fic Kitt and Katt (I think it's on page 2 of the fanfiction forum). We've completed over thirty chapters and a constructive review would be really helpful as we are planning another joint venture once this one has finished.

Thank you

classy_cat18
8th April 2006, 01:27 PM
I guess I would like someone to review Knights to Remember. mr_pikachu pointed out a few problems like description but I would like to see what someone else thinks about it. But wait...is there a problem with someone reviewing a sequel? If so, I could wait until my other fic is ready for reviewing.

Plantae
8th April 2006, 02:17 PM
I would be honored if one of you would not mind reviewing The Maiden Fish (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/index.php?topic=43715.0).

If any of you are up to the challenge, also, Philosophic Pabulum (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/index.php?topic=43770.0). The difficulty is that it does not fit the "fanfiction" category, if having fantastical elements to it. But as it is, it is an essay in the lightest sense and basically one lengthy metaphor. For that reason, if it were to be reviewed, one might have to tweak a couple of the categories in the rating chart listed in the other topic.

Gavin Luper
9th April 2006, 09:36 PM
Great to see people interested in this already!

Full Length Fics To-Be-Reviewed:
Monica's Vendetta, by Chris 2.0.
The Pokemon Masters League (A Tribute to ASB), by Chris 2.0.
A Fast-paced Fic, by Mega Horny.
Screams of Pain, by MeLoveGhosts.
The Quest for the Legends, by Dragonfree.
Kitt and Katt, by Samchu and eevee-shayna.
Knights to Remember, by classy_cat18.

Short Stories and other Short Fics To-Be-Reviewed:
The Maiden Fish, by Plantae.
Philosophic Pabulum, by Plantae.

Fics Currently Being Reviewed:
An Iapapa Berry ~ Lostelle's Tale, by Hyperness is a Good Thing. (I'm doing this one)

Cheers everyone, for supporting the new FFRO! And reviewers - begin reviewing!

Saffire Persian
9th April 2006, 11:23 PM
Hmm - I'd like to request a review for my story, Metamorphosis, and I'd be grateful for whatever critique you could give me. It's not long, with only two chapters thus far.

If it's okay, I'd also like to request a review for my Short-story/One-shot Loyalty. I'd especially like to have critique on the ending twist so I can edit the story accordingly.

Thanks! ^_^

darktyranitar
10th April 2006, 06:26 AM
I guess I should start reviewing...

I'll take on Scream Of Pain my MeLoveGhosts to be reviewed.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
10th April 2006, 11:45 AM
Screams of pain ;) And hey! Thanks =D Don't go easy on me.

Gavin Luper
10th April 2006, 10:34 PM
Whee.

Kitt and Katt, by Samchu and eevee-shayna.
Metamorphosis, by Sapphire Persian.

The Maiden Fish, by Plantae.
Philosophic Pabulum, by Plantae.
Loyaltry, by Sapphire Persian.

An Iapapa Berry ~ Lostelle's Tale, by Hyperness is a Good Thing. (Gavin Luper)
Screams of Pain, by MeLoveGhosts. (Darktyranitar)

Cheers!

Mewfour
11th April 2006, 09:27 AM
I'll take Kitt and Katt.

Not that this is a cop-out or anything </inside joke>

starjake
11th April 2006, 09:41 AM
I might as well jump on the bandwagon...

I would appreciate a review of Yu-Gi-Oh: Virtual Disaster, if anyone has the time.

Blademaster
11th April 2006, 03:16 PM
I always wanted to check out The Pokemon Masters League, so I guess I'll read that.

mr_pikachu
15th April 2006, 04:51 PM
Hmm... I've been meaning to check out Saffire Persian's Metamorphosis, so signing up for it will give me a good incentive to read. (Laziness is a powerful force, y'know.) I'll review that one.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
16th April 2006, 01:40 PM
Waw thanks DT, I never imagined I would get a 6/10 for Spelling.

So far it's evolving slowly, my that is, but Matt seems to be the average Joe for now, but that will all change. Jack will have big part in this.

Remember it's always good to lead the readers somewhere else and snap them with a whole new ting.

I got 73/100, that's a pretty score if you ask me, atleast for someone who only has 2 and half years of english. Yes I'm an english n00b.

Again, thanks DT!

Mega Horny
16th April 2006, 02:07 PM
I would appreciate it if somebody would read my fic. I think its pretty good and people say its funny...

Dragonfree
16th April 2006, 06:40 PM
I think I'll have a go at Plantae's two shorties.

Plantae
16th April 2006, 10:48 PM
My supreme thanks in advance, Dragonfree.

darktyranitar
17th April 2006, 03:23 AM
So MLG has only 2 and half years of english?

Ah, that explained the spelling...

Hmm, I guess I could pick a fic to review... but my mind is not made up at this point.

18th April 2006, 09:47 AM
Welll.. heheh I would like to request for my songfic, Scarlet, to be reviewed. =) Thank you in advance to whoever reviews it.

http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/index.php?topic=43956.0

Mewfour
20th April 2006, 07:15 PM
I'll take Loyaltry for $400, Alex.

Saffire Persian
21st April 2006, 12:08 AM
My thanks in advance to both of you - though to point out a typo, it's Loyalty, not Loyaltry as it was listed. XD No problem though.

Gavin Luper
21st April 2006, 05:07 AM
OK, I'm still doing my review, I've finished the reading part though. As for all the others:

Metamorphosis, by Sapphire Persian.
Yu-Gi-Oh: Virtual Disaster, by Starjake.

Scarlet, by Hyperness is a Good Thing. (NB: One-shot Songfic.)

Metamorphosis, by Sapphire Persian. (mr_pikachu)
Philosophic Pabulum, by Plantae. (Dragonfree)
Loyalty, by Sapphire Persian. (Evil Mewf0ur)

Cheers!

Mewfour
4th May 2006, 11:51 PM
You know, I'm dead sorry I haven't even gotten around to looking at Loyalty yet- some numb-nut punk at work today just up and quit a few days ago, so guess who's working 6 am to 8 pm every day? Lucky me. Hopefully I'll have it reviewed by Saturday.

Saffire Persian
5th May 2006, 04:19 PM
I don't mind at all. ^_^ I'm just happy for whatever reviews I get. ^_^ Thanks for taking time out of your schedule to do it, though.

mr_pikachu
25th May 2006, 03:30 AM
The Metamorphosis review (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/index.php?topic=43933.msg643909#msg643909) has been completed.

Let's see, here... I guess I'll take Mega Horny's A Fast-Paced Fic next.

(Oh, and you can also scratch Metamorphosis off the "Fics-To-Be-Reviewed" section... I'm not sure why it's listed there, as well.)

Saffire Persian
26th May 2006, 04:08 PM
Dunno where else to say it, but thanks for taking the time to review, mr_pikachu!

mr_pikachu
26th May 2006, 08:26 PM
Hey, it's my pleasure. That's why I do this. :)

Blademaster
27th May 2006, 07:51 PM
Hey, Gavin, m'man - you can remove The Pokemon Masters League from the 'to-be-reviewed' section, too - I did that already, just a few days ago...

mistysakura
1st June 2006, 05:21 AM
So I thought as I have a three-day break, I'd pull my weight in FFRO for a change. (I suppose it's better than saying I'll review something, then leaving it for a month because I don't have free time. That happened once.) Well anyway, I'll take The Quest for the Legends. Always wanted to read it. (By the way, Dragonfree, the link in your sig doesn't work, you might want to fix it.)

Gavin Luper
2nd June 2006, 01:19 AM
Alright - thanks to work and life and planning my trip, I've seriously had very little time to do ANYTHING for the last month or two, so I've been barely scraping enough time to patrol the forum enough to keep things maintained, let alone actually do my review or make progress with my writing. To Hyperness - I will get your review done some time in the next month, I promise. It's just a matter of making enough time.

In any case, here's the revised Review List. Have fun, people!

Loyalty, by Sapphire Persian. (Evil Mewf0ur)
A Fast-paced Fic, by Mega Horny. (mr_pikachu)
The Quest for the Legends, by Dragonfree. (mistysakura)

Cheers!

Plantae
3rd June 2006, 06:05 PM
I would like to request the review of the second half of The Maiden (Fish) which can be found here (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/index.php?topic=43715.msg646037#msg646037). Not that I was not satisfied with my first (thanks again Dragonfree), but for purposes of second opinion, I would like it to be a person other than her.

Mewfour
19th June 2006, 01:37 AM
Yes, I am still alive. I've quit my shitty job (finally!) so while I hunt for a new, less bull-crappy one, I'll finally have some time to review Loyalty. Or Loyaltry, whatever.

19th June 2006, 08:47 AM
To Gavin Luper: It's ok, take your time. ^^ It's not that urgent a thing.

Mega Horny
20th June 2006, 08:45 AM
pfeh, sorry for the late arrival but thanks much mt. p! Thanks for taking the time to review and I hope you enjoy ^^.

Plantae
29th June 2006, 05:08 PM
I would like to request a review of another short story, Avoid Water (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/index.php?topic=44606.0). That is, if reviews are still being had. Thanks in advance to whoever takes up the challenge of my dense prose style.

Mewfour
18th July 2006, 02:00 PM
I'm quitting. There's just so much crap I've got on the go that I can't possibly balance everything. Sorry guys. I'm done.

mr_pikachu
18th July 2006, 02:15 PM
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, Mewf0ur! It's a shame to see you leave. Let us know if things turn around for you, okay?

In Gavin's stead, I'm going to go ahead and update the Review List...

Loyalty, by Sapphire Persian.

Saffire Persian
18th July 2006, 03:36 PM
Just so you know, Loyalty would go under the 'short story' category, as it's a one-shot. ^^

Oh, any chance a member could become..well, part of the Reviewer organization? Or is it just for the people who are already a part of it?

mr_pikachu
18th July 2006, 04:04 PM
List corrected. Thanks. ^_^;

To answer your question, that would largely be up to Gavin. The current reviewers earned their places on the staff by doing a test review. That was done to make a bit of a standard for reviewing; people couldn't just jump in randomly and start reviewing fics before taking that test. If Gavin decides to get more reviewers, then it could happen. Otherwise... probably not.

And by the way, sorry about what happened with Loyalty. That happens occasionally, but it's not fun when it does. My apologies for that. Hopefully someone else will pick it up soon so that you can get your long-awaited review.

Weasel Overlord
19th July 2006, 10:24 AM
[color=silver]If you wonderful reviewing people would oblige, I'd be happy for someone to give my short story, Warped and Broken (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/index.php?topic=44426.new#new), a look at.

Part II is up now, and Part III will be coming shortly, I think.

Saffire Persian
19th July 2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks for answering, Mr. Pikachu.

And by the way, sorry about what happened with Loyalty. That happens occasionally, but it's not fun when it does. My apologies for that. Hopefully someone else will pick it up soon so that you can get your long-awaited review.

It isn't anybody's fault. People have real lives and get busy. So I'm okay with it.^^

Tyler and Hobbes
19th July 2006, 11:14 AM
O_O....I didn't even know that this place existed..... Anyways, I was wondering if I could get my fic, Spinner-out of Fate, reviewed. It's a 10 part fic, about Jesus, so....umm...just a warning I guess ^^;.

mr_pikachu
20th July 2006, 10:50 AM
Just a quick update to the list...

Spinner-out of Fate, by fireguardian

Warped and Broken, by Weasel Overlord.

Er, uh...

...Cheers!

Bulbasaur4
25th July 2006, 06:42 PM
[color=royalblue]
Well, I figure I better put my fic on the list just to get it there. By the time it gets reviewed I'm hoping it'll be at Chapter 7 or what-not. ^_^ So many fics here!

In anycase, I would like to request that my fic, "Divinity" be reviewed. It currently is at Chapter 4 (with a Prologue) but it'll probably progress a bit further by the time it is reviewed. The link is also in my signature for easy access. ^_^

mr_pikachu
27th July 2006, 01:21 PM
Update time!

Divinity, by Bulbasaur4

And since I know you're probably wondering, yes, I am still reviewing your fic, MH. It's just taking a little bit of time. Summer classes aren't easy, you know! But hopefully I'll be able to finish the review in short order.

Oh, better not forget...

Cheers!

Mega Horny
27th July 2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah, no worries, take your time. Nice plaques O_o

mistysakura
29th July 2006, 11:28 PM
The Quest for the Legends done, so that can be taken off the list. Next project: Loyalty.

EDIT: lol, forgot we're in charge of the list now.

Divinity, by Bulbasaur4

Loyalty, by Saffire Persian. (mistysakura)

mr_pikachu
4th August 2006, 01:31 AM
Alright, I've finished and posted the review for A Fast-Paced Fic, so I'l take that off the list. Let's see... next, I think I'll do Scarlet, by Hyperness is a Good Thing. That fic's been sitting on the list for far too long, if I remember correctly.

Divinity, by Bulbasaur4

Scarlet, by Hyperness is a Good Thing. (mr_pikachu)

...Er, cheers!

Dr.McNinja
8th August 2006, 10:38 AM
I'd love for the Phoenix Saga to be reviewed, anything for more feedback. There's only so far you can critique your own work and to get better I'd love some creative criticism.

mr_pikachu
8th August 2006, 06:48 PM
You shall all now witness the astounding power of the mod-stick...

Divinity, by Bulbasaur4
Phoenix Saga, by Dr. McNinja

...Cheers!

10th August 2006, 10:43 AM
thanks for taking Scarlet mr_pikachu =)
I'm looking forward to your review.

mistysakura
10th August 2006, 05:10 PM
TPML was put back on the list because the review you mentioned wasn't endorsed by the FFRO (Blademaster is not part of the FFRO, but did the review on his own initiative, which was nice of him). So we thought we'd give TPML another chance to be reviewed by the FFRO.

In other news... there isn't much, really...

Blademaster
10th August 2006, 06:40 PM
(Blademaster is not part of the FFRO, but did the review on his own initiative, which was nice of him).

Actually, I asked to review it somewhere and nobody stopped me, despite my taking about 2 months to actually review it (Still glad I did, BTW. :yes:), so I just went ahead with it... Then, about another month later Gavin told me. :p

Chris 2.1
14th August 2006, 04:45 PM
Oh ok thanks for explaining :D *waits for reviewer to appear* hehe.

mistysakura
17th August 2006, 03:05 AM
No offense taken -- in fact, I agree with most of what you said. But maybe because you have all the information on the characters' backstories and such and I don't, it just seems to me that they follow certain stereotypes without reason. Now that I've read about why May's the way she is, and Mark's the way he is, their characters make so much more sense to me now (although you can't ever fully grasp a character). So maybe if you integrated your explanations into the fic, it would help us understand. Also about the Mew thing, I just thought it strange that Mark barely thought anything before giving her back. Maybe if you had explained things there a bit as well.

About the dragon thing, yes I guess it makes sense. What I had more issues with was Europe, though -- that reference seemed so out of place. About "can not" vs. "cannot", I've always understood that the first means "is allowed to not do something", while the second mean "is not allowed to do something". But then again, English is a strange language.

I still think that a lack of "flaws" in a character leads to a decrease in believability though. There we must agree to disagree. I had a lot of fun reading this fic, and I hope things will go well.

(By the way, I swear Fangcat's black... I must be imagining things.)

mr_pikachu
17th August 2006, 03:07 AM
List update!

Divinity, by Bulbasaur4

...Ah, cheers!

Dragonfree
18th August 2006, 11:07 PM
No offense taken -- in fact, I agree with most of what you said. But maybe because you have all the information on the characters' backstories and such and I don't, it just seems to me that they follow certain stereotypes without reason. Now that I've read about why May's the way she is, and Mark's the way he is, their characters make so much more sense to me now (although you can't ever fully grasp a character). So maybe if you integrated your explanations into the fic, it would help us understand.
Ah, yes, it would. I'm improving on things like this in the next revision of the fic (and yes, I'm doing another - I'm crazy, I know). It has the backgrounds integrated better for easier understanding of why they are how they are. I like pondering such things. Mark especially gets more development in the beginning.

Also about the Mew thing, I just thought it strange that Mark barely thought anything before giving her back. Maybe if you had explained things there a bit as well.
That was a very objective scene - there's hardly any thought in it at all, period. I'm not really sure why I did it that way, but I'll be improving that bit in the next revision too - Mark's thoughts are a lot more prominent in it than this one anyway. It's always a good idea to elaborate on stuff like this, yeah.

What I had more issues with was Europe, though -- that reference seemed so out of place.
True. It's just that the word "dragon" is a little vague - there are many types of dragons in mythology, many of them looking quite different from each other, and when I'm trying to describe the look of a European dragon, just cheating the system and slapping "European" in there is awfully tempting. But meh - the entire book scene is cut out in the next revision anyway, so it's not much to worry about.

About "can not" vs. "cannot", I've always understood that the first means "is allowed to not do something", while the second mean "is not allowed to do something". But then again, English is a strange language.
Hmm, I looked it up sometime and it said nothing about that - just that "can not" is the appropriate way if you want to emphasize the "not". Otherwise it just said that they were technically equivalent but "cannot" was recommended for most cases because it was far more common.

But yes, English is a strange language.

I still think that a lack of "flaws" in a character leads to a decrease in believability though. There we must agree to disagree.
Well, my basic point is that while a believable character is never "perfect", it's hard to define a "flaw" and you'll end up with many obviously imperfect and perfectly believable characters who nonetheless don't seem to have anything that you can easily point at and call a "flaw". Flaws are a rule of thumb; sure, most real people you know decently you can point at and say "This person has a flaw which is this," but then you land with people like my friend. I've often used her as an example when talking about this kind of thing: she's good at everything, modest, nice, humourous, doesn't complain, etc. Obviously she's not perfect and gets on my nerves sometimes and all that; however, for everything I can pick at her personality for, I could argue back with, "But why is that so bad?" It's more or less the same with my dad. It's hard to think in flaws. You don't need to be all-wonderful not to have any obvious flaws that most people could agree on calling so.

Well, the thing is, in general I don't like rules of thumb. They miss the point, and because I'm a perfectionist to the point of bordering on mental disorder, I'm very sensitive about missing the point. A perfect character isn't bad because he or she doesn't have flaws; a perfect character is bad because he or she isn't believable, and I prefer eliminating that middle step and just going right to the believability itself.

mistysakura
1st September 2006, 06:24 AM
Congratulation to our two newest reviewers, Weasel Overlord and Bulbasaur4! Welcome to the FFRO, and feel free to start reviewing any time you like. To the other would-be reviewers: you'd better hand in your practice reviews soon!

mr_pikachu
22nd September 2006, 08:25 PM
Scarlet is done. Let's see... I'll take fireguardian's Spinner-out of Fate next.

Divinity, by Bulbasaur4

Spinner-out of Fate, by fireguardian (mr_pikachu)

...Cheers, and such!

Andrew
12th October 2006, 09:21 PM
Could I put my fic on the line?

Yeah, that'd be tops thanks...

mr_pikachu
13th October 2006, 09:40 AM
Electric Buggy to Victory? Indeed, Ozzy!

Divinity, by Bulbasaur4
Electric Buggy to Victory!, by Andrew

Spinner-out of Fate, by fireguardian (mr_pikachu)

Ah, cheers!

(By the way, the list has been reformatted because I like italics. Feedback?)

Dragonfree
11th December 2006, 05:55 PM
Um, I'd be very happy if one of you could check out and review Scyther's Story. It's seven parts, some 32,500 words or so, and finished, so don't worry about having to catch up.

mistysakura
11th December 2006, 07:53 PM
My post that said I was going to review Monica's Vendetta has been wiped out by the forum move, so here it is.

Mew Master
29th December 2006, 10:55 PM
Ummmmm could I get my short story... Werewolf: The Forsaken a review?

mr_pikachu
30th December 2006, 03:04 PM
Updating the list, since it doesn't seem to have been done since Dragonfree's request.

Yu-Gi-Oh: Virtual Disaster, by starjake.
Divinity, by Bulbasaur4.
Phoenix Saga, by Dr. McNinja.
Electric Buggy to Victory!, by Andrew.
Scyther's Story, by Dragonfree.

Werewolf: The Forsaken, by Mew Master.

Spinner-out of Fate, by fireguardian. (mr_pikachu)
Monica's Vendetta, by Chris 2.0. (mistysakura)

11th January 2007, 02:08 AM
this thanks is reaaaaally belated...but thank you very much mr_pikachu for reading and reviewing Scarlet =) Your advice,comments and criticisms are appreciated ^__^ *must work on improving*

Gavin Luper
20th March 2007, 03:51 AM
I've been busy with Uni lately, but I'll get around to doing a review when I have time, hopefully during the mid-semester break if I can.

In the meantime, just updating the list.

Divinity, by Bulbasaur4.

Cheers!

Karania
3rd April 2007, 07:57 PM
Apparenty people read but don't review and quite frankly I don't particularly care for that. I'm about ready to give up on this site with my stories and take em back with me to the site I use more often and have a WHOLE LOT more stories on and is easier to use than a forum thing, I like this site fine, its just discouraging when people don't tell you what they think over a piece of work I spent hours perfecting. I doubt I'm going to update anymore on this site.... I'm too busy to keep posting stuff people don't even read!

mario72486
3rd April 2007, 08:49 PM
Apparenty people read but don't review and quite frankly I don't particularly care for that. I'm about ready to give up on this site with my stories and take em back with me to the site I use more often and have a WHOLE LOT more stories on and is easier to use than a forum thing, I like this site fine, its just discouraging when people don't tell you what they think over a piece of work I spent hours perfecting. I doubt I'm going to update anymore on this site.... I'm too busy to keep posting stuff people don't even read!

I agree with ya. I've posted three chapters of my fic here, and there has been no feedback whatsoever. It's very discouraging, since I've spent a lot of time writing and editing the chapters that are on this site right now. I've posted elsewhere and have gotten plenty of response.

But to add to this list, if anyone could have a look at my fic, "Digimon, Frontier Legacy," and tell me what they think of it so far, it'd be greatly appreciated...

Karania
4th April 2007, 01:37 AM
I understand that you can't force people to review, but I'm fed up and sick of this... THe only reason I'm still here is to read your story, Gavin, when it's finished I'm probably going to disappear. THere's really nothing here that zings me if people don't review. I post my stories on fanfiction.net, and have gotten pretty much overwhelming reviews on certain stories and that's where I'm going to stay. My fanfiction writing on this site is over. I'm not stopping writing, I just prefer the other site. Some of my more popular fics won't ever be posted as I don't have time to waste to transfer my work here only to have it be basically, in my opinion, ignored.

Dragonstar1715
24th June 2007, 09:11 AM
Hi Gavin I was wondering if you could review my fanfic Absolution's Reign because it's my first one and want to get some pointers on where I may be going wrong

Gavin Luper
24th June 2007, 11:44 AM
Hey Dragonstar. Consider your fic added to the list of fics-to-be-reviewed. I'd take it myself but I'm already scheduled in to review Knights to Remember at the moment. If you specifically want me to review your fic, it will take quite some time for that to happen, as I've got modding duties, my own writing and a search for employment currently on my plate. Reviewing a fic is so much more time consuming than it first seems. :keke:

Shonta - I'm getting around to reviewing Knights to Remember, honest. It seems like I have to read A Doolittle Of Pokemon first though to understand it - is that right?

Anyhow, here's the updated list:

Divinity, by Bulbasaur4.
Digimon: Frontier Legacy, by mario72486.
Absolution's Reign, by Dragonstar1715.

Knights to Remember, by classy_cat18. (Gavin Luper)

classy_cat18
24th June 2007, 02:54 PM
Shonta - I'm getting around to reviewing Knights to Remember, honest. It seems like I have to read A Doolittle Of Pokemon first though to understand it - is that right?

Yeah, that's right.

mistysakura
26th June 2007, 09:39 PM
My next pick is... hmm, I'll give Divinity a go. I'd take Absolution's Reign, but I don't know if it's a specific request, so... yeah.

Dragonstar1715
26th June 2007, 10:58 PM
not really just want an opinion

Gavin Luper
27th June 2007, 12:30 AM
Good on ya for getting another review done, Ada.

*feels inferior*

List update time, then.

Divinity, by Bulbasaur4. (mistysakura)

Bulbasaur4
27th June 2007, 12:44 AM
I'll take Phoenix Saga, mostly due to the fact that it should be a prompt review since I've read most of it already.

Gavin Luper
27th June 2007, 01:01 AM
Bulbasaur4: Sweet. Updating again, then.

Phoenix Saga, by Dr. McNinja. (Bulbasaur4)

Bulbasaur4
30th June 2007, 12:29 AM
Finished it.

Unsolved Puzzle
30th June 2007, 01:05 AM
could i plz have my fan fic "Urban Chaos" reviewed?

Dr.McNinja
30th June 2007, 01:11 AM
Awesome review Bulba, it's nice to see someone take the time to give that much feedback, much less good feedback. Thanks a lot, and I've got lots of stuffs to make the Saga all the better.

mr_pikachu
30th June 2007, 02:59 AM
Just finished reviewing Spinner-out of Fate.

I think I'll wait a little to pick another work to review. Still need to get everything running properly on my computer, and since I take forever on my reviews anyway... I really don't want to keep anyone waiting through the next decade.

EDIT: Thinking about it, it's a little weird that we had such a long downtime and then three reviews completed one after another. Kind of odd.

Hinoryu
30th June 2007, 03:28 AM
I'd like my fic, Yu-gi-oh: Battle Earth, reviewed. I've finished the first 'arc' so I'd kind of like to see how well I opened it.

Gavin Luper
30th June 2007, 04:37 AM
Yes, bizarre, isn't it Brian? But good. I've started reading A Doolittle of Pokemon now, so I'm making progress on mine at last.

List:

Urban Chaos, by Unsolved Puzzle.
Yu-gi-oh: Battle Earth, by Hinoryu.

Plantae
30th June 2007, 06:09 AM
I no longer desire to have Philosophic Pabulum reviewed, so please remove it from the list. I would like to add another story, though, to the short stories list: An End to Reason (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15863).

eevee-shayna
30th June 2007, 10:18 AM
I know I just posted it, but I am very enthusiastic to have my latest short story Le Portrait de Petit Cossette, Book 3 (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16152) reviewed by whomever. It's a little on the dark side but I think it would be an enjoyable read for any reviewer. Also, don't let its title discourage you. You don't need any previous knowledge of the anime it is derived from, or of the previous "2 books". TIA ^_^

Gavin Luper
30th June 2007, 08:47 PM
Blorg. Activity!

Urban Chaos, by Unsolved Puzzle.
Yu-gi-oh: Battle Earth, by Hinoryu.

An End To Reason, by Plantae.
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette, Book 3, by eevee-shayna.

mistysakura
4th July 2007, 08:50 PM
Oh look, general comments belong here. I'm a bit concerned about the number of alternate fandom fics sitting on the list. Most of them have been added recently, but a couple have been there since forever. And looking at the reviewers list it doesn't look like a lot of them, if any, read alternate fandom. Which is a problem because the alternate fandom fics are already the ones getting the least feedback from readers. Also, most of these writers are fairly new and it would be useful to them to be reviewed to see how they're going, whereas with more experienced writers they already have some idea. Personally I don't really want to review these fics because I understand nothing about their fandoms and would thus maul the review (I probably wouldn't even understand what was going on half the time). So yeah, just putting that out for discussion.

Gavin Luper
4th July 2007, 09:38 PM
That's a fair point, Ada. I actually feel the same way - I couldn't possibly review a Yu-Gi-Oh fic, for example, because I know nothing about those fandoms at all. And if most of the reviewers are in the same position, then I suppose we have a problem.

Perhaps we're in need of a new reviewer? Maybe someone who can cover YGO and alternate fanfictions mostly?

What does everybody think about this? Reviewers, readers, writers - please post your comments and thoughts on this in here, we'll see what the common opinion is before we do anything else.

mario72486
4th July 2007, 10:00 PM
That's a fair point, Ada. I actually feel the same way - I couldn't possibly review a Yu-Gi-Oh fic, for example, because I know nothing about those fandoms at all. And if most of the reviewers are in the same position, then I suppose we have a problem.

Perhaps we're in need of a new reviewer? Maybe someone who can cover YGO and alternate fanfictions mostly?

What does everybody think about this? Reviewers, readers, writers - please post your comments and thoughts on this in here, we'll see what the common opinion is before we do anything else.

Somehow I had a feeling that a problem like this would come up.

The reason why I began posting my fanfic on these forums was because I thought I'd be able to get a good amount of feedback from those who commonly freqeuent the site. However, I've become a bit bothered by the fact that, after putting up four chapters, there hasn't been a single review. At first I thought that perhaps those looking at what I've written were drifters, or whatever term is used for those who read but don't respond. Then again, I suppose everyone is guilty of this to some extent. Now that this topic of discussion has come up, another possible explanation has come up.

From what I've seen, almost all fics posted here fall under two categories - Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh - and I'm sure a lot of people have had some level of exposure to both in some shape or form. Mine is based off of one of lesser-known seasons of Digimon (Frontier), and perhaps that is one explanation as to why I haven't been receiving feedback - because the regulars here don't know much about the show or Digimon in general.

As much as I'd like to help out, I'm not exactly the best critic out there. But I do agree that something should be done to amend the situation and help those like me who are aspiring to write extended pieces of fiction. However, assigning people to review fics listed here should not be one of them. After all, if someone is forced to review something they aren't particularly interested in, they may not do as good a job, putting less effort into what they say; even worse, this kind of feedback may hinder more than help.

In my opinion, if one is going to review a fic that is of a different fandom than normally seen here, the least that can be done is to do a little research; either going by what they can gather from the author him/herself or the info given in the prelude, find a website or two that provide the info needed to better explain whatever's going on in the fic or its individual chapters. As they say, a little information goes a long way.

That's my two cents.

mr_pikachu
4th July 2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah, it makes things tricky... frankly, I could probably do YGO reviews; the reason I tend to abstain from them is because I already read some of those fics, so it wouldn't help the writers much to hear all the same things I've said in the past. But I do think there are one or two of us who could probably handle those on occasion.

As for other fandoms, that's an entirely different can of worms. I've seen fics collapse in the past simply because nobody here knew and/or liked the fandom in question. Perhaps we should at least make the main fandom of each fic clear on our list; that might increase awareness and thus prompt reviewers to look into those fics for a change. With them all meshed together as they are now, I think there's a tendency to say, "That doesn't sound interesting to me, but there are more familiar fics there" without even thinking about the larger issue.

Crystal Tears
4th July 2007, 10:47 PM

I actually think you (in a general perspective) could. Any story follows the same rules (grammar, spelling, etc.), and though it may be unclear at first, most of the time a story will open a larger window that’s as clear as day. I know some Yu-Gi-Oh stories, though they mention the characters from the show, go on to another plot that has little to do with the show. And most of the time, the cards that are used are explained, in traditional ‘oh god not more explaining’ manner. Or, some writers; I’ve seen Dark Sage do this, will post the card up and usually you can read what it does. I’m not saying this goes for all the stories, but people should try before they jump the gun at the title.

Yeah that’s… my two cents… >_> Bye.

Phoenixsong
5th July 2007, 08:36 AM
Hm. At the very least, a reviewer more familiar with YGO might be a good idea. As for other alternate fandoms, yeah, well... mario72486 had the right idea with the research bit. Also, the reviewer could be brave and take the fic without understanding of the basis, but then explain that to the reader ahead of time so that, perhaps, the reader can provide synopses or character descriptions/backstories or something that can help the reviewer clarify. Lastly, unless this is against some sort of FFRO rule I am unaware of, can't the reviewer just ask the writer questions along the way? You know, PM them and say "I'm in the process of getting your review done, but there are a few things I don't understand. Could you help me out a little so I can better understand what's happening and better review your fic?" Sure, plenty of explanation can come out in the story itself, but I think asking for help doesn't hurt.

I admit that I am one of those who generally doesn't read fics from fandoms I am unfamiliar with or uninterested in. I hope that writers who experience this problem realize that it doesn't necessarily mean they're a bad writer or that it's any fault of their own. It's just that I'm entering college, working on my websites and my own fiction and a whole bunch of other things. I really don't have the time (or the attention span) to do the research I'd need to understand, say, a Digimon fic, no matter how masterfully written it may be, when I can read a Pokémon fic of equal caliber and actually grasp what's going on (if all I'm doing is reading casually, I mean. For example, had I had more time, I would have done some research into Digimon for the May contest because I had to review it and a better understanding would have helped). I think that this is the way that most of Fanfic feels about Alt Fandom fics. It's sad, and I'm sorry I can't comfortably read every fic out there, but that's just how it is. When you post an alt fandom fic on a forum that is technically dedicated to one fandom, you take a huge risk that no one will understand the fandom your story is based on. Not that I mean to discourage people from posting them here, it's just that they need to understand that that's the chance they take.

Dragonstar1715
5th July 2007, 08:17 PM
Well for anyone thats gonna be reviewing mine, the story of the game is pretty self Explanatory in the fanfic so anyone should have no problems understanding mine.... I hope

mistysakura
5th July 2007, 08:38 PM
Yeah, actually come to think of it, if we did a bit of research we could probably manage to review alternate fandom fics. I think that part of the probelm is that we lack confidence in taking on a fic if we don't know how we're going to go reading it. Backing out of reviews = not good. Phoenixsong's is a good idea; the writer and reviewer could work together to make sure the reviewer understands stuff. Yeah, character descriptions and synopses are good (this goes for sequels of Pokemon/original epics as well).

I think one of the main problems is that we can't be bothered, which isn't a very good excuse, but we do come here to read fics we're intersted in. On the other hand, being part of the FFRO carries a responsibility to provide reviews to whoever wants them. I can't speak for everyone, but my reason for not taking up alternate fandom fics is that I'd rather someone else who could review the fic properly do it, rather than me giving it a subpar review when I could be doing a higher quality review elsewhere. But I suppose if this attitude means that no one ever takes the alternate fandom fics, something's going to have to change. Either existing reviewers will have to take them on, amke some effort to do research etc., or we'll have to recruit new people.

mario72486
5th July 2007, 08:48 PM
Yeah, actually come to think of it, if we did a bit of research we could probably manage to review alternate fandom fics. I think that part of the probelm is that we lack confidence in taking on a fic if we don't know how we're going to go reading it. Backing out of reviews = not good. Phoenixsong's is a good idea; the writer and reviewer could work together to make sure the reviewer understands stuff. Yeah, character descriptions and synopses are good (this goes for sequels of Pokemon/original epics as well).

I think one of the main problems is that we can't be bothered, which isn't a very good excuse, but we do come here to read fics we're intersted in. On the other hand, being part of the FFRO carries a responsibility to provide reviews to whoever wants them. I can't speak for everyone, but my reason for not taking up alternate fandom fics is that I'd rather someone else who could review the fic properly do it, rather than me giving it a subpar review when I could be doing a higher quality review elsewhere. But I suppose if this attitude means that no one ever takes the alternate fandom fics, something's going to have to change. Either existing reviewers will have to take them on, amke some effort to do research etc., or we'll have to recruit new people.

Having both parties, per-say, work together to make a review sounds plausible. That way the writer can better walk the reviewer through what they are trying to get across in their piece, and the reviewer can give clearer, more thought-out (er...) thoughts on the work. While I understand that some people may be afraid of reviewing something that is out of their expertise, one must admit - isn't that what movie critics do all the time? They aren't just reviewing one type of movie, after all. They probably watch every movie released during the year and review each and every one of them.

Another idea that comes to mind: instead of just one member of the group review a fic, why not have more than one? A bit more complicated, yes, but it may help out in the long run. This way, readers get more than one view of a fic, and the writers will have plenty of feedback to work with in terms of improving their skills for the future. We see this all the time in the major fics posted here, and look how much those fics have improved with each passing chapter.

Dragonstar1715
11th July 2007, 07:02 AM
I'm wondering when someone's gonna review mine...

mistysakura
28th July 2007, 07:35 AM
Dragonstar1715: I sympathise. We're just ridiculously slow.

I'd like to request a review for Glitter, my one-shot. This is the first time I've asked for the FFRO's services since... 2003. Wow.

mistysakura
31st August 2007, 06:37 PM
What makes me want to pick up a guy and shoot the keyboard? Well, for shooting the keyboard, I'm afraid I've never felt like doing that. Aside from keyboards in foreign countries with the punctuation marks in weird places. Now, for the picking up a guy part... various reasons not to be disclosed :P

Okay, so I guess this is a complain about fanfic annoyances/ life in general topic? Firstly, having no time to write sucks. Secondly, writer's block sucks. Thirdly, being blocked on the wrong project sucks. (I was so hyped to write a song when I didn't have access to the piano for a month... and now I'm stuck with one, the inspiration's gone. Great.)

For people not reading my fics, well I'm pretty sure people read my fics. They just don't reply, that's all. Which is true for everyone's fics, actually. I know because... more reasons not to be disclosed :P why don't they reply? Because they can't be bothered? Because they're too busy? Eh, it sucks, but I accept they have no obligations to help someone halfway across the world whom they don't know. No, it's not a great feeling to feel ignored because no one's reading your stuff, Houndoom Lover. Not sure what I can do to help you change that, but I did notice you said people aren't reading your fics because of the way you type. The forum does have spell check, I believe (although its reliability is rather dubious). Oh yeah, the other thing you can do is not insult fics about young love and hot nights; they could've been your first reader :P

Okay, so what fanfic-related annoyances do everyone else have?

Dragonstar1715
10th September 2007, 03:30 AM
How long has it been since someone has reviewed something here? I mean its been like 3-4 months since the last review was put up

mr_pikachu
10th September 2007, 03:41 AM
We're coming up on two and a half months. And it does go a bit slow, but that's largely because we try to give extremely detailed reviews so that the writers can actually make use of what we say. Couple that with the time required for reading (especially when earlier fics provide necessary background; Gavin, for instance, has been going through two fics just to get to Scattered Lights) as well as various difficulties with technology and life, and sometimes a review takes a fair amount of time to complete.

...Not to mention that we occasionally end up procrastinating a little. ^_^;

Dragonstar1715
10th September 2007, 03:48 AM
Well I'm just hoping that I can get my fic reviewed soon, just so I know what people think about it

mistysakura
4th July 2008, 04:31 AM
Okay, I'll bite. I'm taking Digimon: Frontier Legacy. ...yeah, I'm weird.