PDA

View Full Version : Golden Pen Awards Suggestion Topic

Andrew
7th December 2003, 12:30 AM
So uh, if you have a suggestion for the awards, they'll be a lot like the summer awards we just had... but with a new name.

And my suggestion is that you can nominate two different things per category, cause I find nominations harder than the actual voting.

Here are the results from last time.... http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23164&highlight=Summer

So LOOK AT THOSE CATEGORIES BEFORE MAKING SUGGESTIONS ABOUT CATEGORIES

Sorry about the Bold, just that last suggestion topic, we ended up with people suggesting things that were already there :p

So if you think any need culling, or adding, do so!

mr_pikachu
7th December 2003, 01:07 AM
Okay, I've got a few suggestions...

Most emotional scene/fic

Best crossover

Most loved/hated chapter (I don't mean in terms of "that was awesome/terrible writing job..., but rather, what the fans wanted to happen either happened... or didn't. I'm sure many of us would be voting on the Poke-ditching chapter of WDC for Most hated, for instance.)

Most original fic (We have this for characters, but not fics, interestingly enough.)

Most rounded member (does a lot of writing and reading/replying on the boards)

Most lovable/hateable character (Pretty much the same thing as what was previously mentioned for chapters.)

Best finish (to a fanfic, not to a character's life, you Godfather fans. ;))

Most well-written fic (Purely taking into account writing style and flair, rather than plot, characters, etc. Though those do help to make the fic "well-written"...)

Yeah... only a few suggestions... I may be back later... :wave:

EDIT: Took out one I didn't see... sorry!

mistysakura
7th December 2003, 03:19 AM
I think that the "writing style" thing needs to be cleared up a bit. For instance, when talking about "Best chapter" under the Writing style category, are we meant to take into account the storyline and events as well, or just writing style and flair? And why are "Best Plot" and "Best Plot Twist" under there anyway, for example? If we're talking pure writing style, then those two don't fit. I think a clear-up is neccessary to determine whether we need a "Most Original fic" or not (as there's already a "Most Original" in the Writing Style category).

If anyone's lost, forget it. So am I.

I also thought that the "Best Pokemon character" award isn't really needed, because it causes a lot of repeated nominations in the "Best non-human character" category. I think that "Best non-human" covers it all, and there is no need for a "Best Pokemon".

Dragonfree
7th December 2003, 04:58 PM
Hmmm... there could be a "biggest surprise" in there. And "best excitement built before some big thing".

dratinihaunter13
7th December 2003, 07:21 PM
i agree with you mistysakura, and i think i followed you on that first part ;). as for having two nominations per category... I really liked the amount of nominees we had for each category last awards. if people can pick two there will be more nominees that only receive 1 or 2 votes. if the decision for choosing which one is tough... i'm sorry? lol.

classy_cat18
7th December 2003, 08:48 PM
I think we should do a Best Finish To A Character for the Godfather fans! :D

I think we should do a Best Pokemon Character award and then a Best Miscellanious (sp?) Character (demon, real-life animal, anything besides a Pokemon or a human).

mr_pikachu
11th December 2003, 12:45 AM
Best use of imagery (imagery is anything that relates to the senses.)

Best sequel/Best Series (One or the other, not both.)

Best Use of Emotions (Not the most emotions, but the best use of them as they relate to the situation. People getting emotional for literally no reason will actually detract from a fic's standing here.)

I thought about Biggest jack*** for the member nominations, but that would create hell for the mods, so nah. :rolleyes:

PancaKe
11th December 2003, 04:17 AM
I hope you realize I am NOT runing these ones. Too much going on. WAY too much. just look at my live journal to see.

~Mist

mistysakura
11th December 2003, 05:17 AM
Well, I'm going to be absolutely free starting tomorrow until start of February, minus a week in January when I'm going away (don't know when yet, or where...) So I guess I'm pretty available.

Lady Vulpix
11th December 2003, 10:58 AM
Nominating 2 may be harder than nominating one. In any case, you can look at the fics already nominated, and nominate the ones that aren't. That's what I did last time.

A few suggestions:

Best continuity: a fic that is consistent with itself, and develops the ideas presented in earlier chapters rather than contradicting them.

Best fantasy: why was that category removed? We have quite a lot of fantasy fics.

Best non-human POV: another category I missed last time.

Most original use of pokemon: this can apply to both underused pokemon, or common pokemon used in original ways.

Most intriguing character: a character that makes you want to know more about him/her.

Best original cast: refers to the whole set of characters in a fic; these characters have to be created by the author of the fic, whether the fic relates to an anime or not (eg: there can be a Pikachu, but not Ash's Pikachu, nor Sparky).

Most missed fic: for uncompleted fics which haven't had new chapters for a long time.

Also, I can't see the difference between the "Best Fiction Overall" and the "Best Overall" categories. And the "Best Villain" category was lacking an 'i'.

mr_pikachu
11th December 2003, 08:57 PM
I like your ideas, LV, except the "Best Continuity" one. That seems a tad obscure. The others seem good, though.

I've got another one, by the way.

Best Mystery (As a portion of the fic; not simply "Best Mystery Fic". We don't have many mysteries on the boards, so that wouldn't even get voted on... Anyway, what I mean is an unexplained occurence, situation, etc. that keeps readers on edge for awhile, until the answer is revealed.)

Lady Vulpix
12th December 2003, 10:30 AM
Oh! That sounds nice. :yes:

mr_pikachu
12th December 2003, 06:30 PM
I was just checking back on this thread, and I figured I should clarify what I meant by "Best Mystery" a bit more.

The proposed category is not the same as "Best Cliffhanger", because it is a mystery that looms over the story for MULTIPLE chapters, not just the interlude in between two of them. For example, in Gavin Luper's LtL, there was recently a cliffhanger where we saw Gavin (who had been missing for several months) hovering outside Lisa's window right before the chapter ended. However, the question over his disappearance (which lasted several months) and the events that went on in the process in correlation with it would be considered a mystery. Thus, we see that a cliffhanger is something that is momentary, and a mystery lasts for awhile. Another good example of a mystery occurs in WDC, when we were wondering why Misty and Li were in Team Rocket garb and seemingly ready to join TR. That lasted five or six chapters, I think, thus constituting a mystery.

Any questions? ;)

P.S. C'mon, LV and I can't do this alone! We need your help! Get those brains working, people! :D

Mewfour
14th December 2003, 01:01 AM
Edit: Nevermind! *runs away skipping* Tra la la la la.....

Andrew
14th December 2003, 01:31 AM
That's what we like to see! Skipping and whistling like a delusional Ophelia...

I like best Mystery, but I hate best Continuity.

We used to have best cast, but we have a lot of those types already. Ie Main, Supporting ect.

And we removed the Sci Fi one, cause we had like 2 fics last time lol.

mistysakura
14th December 2003, 02:45 AM
I agree that we need Best Fantasy. So many fantasy fics around here... Also Most rounded member would be cool.
Anyone for combining "Oddest Writer" and "Most sadistic Writer"? I know they're not the same thing, but we had some two people in "Most sadistic writer" the last time, and they were both nominated for "Oddest writer" anyway.

mr_pikachu
14th December 2003, 08:17 PM
Personally, I was wondering who we'd nominate for either. In "Oddest Writer", A Grilled Fish had insanely strange fics, but I haven't seen him around here for awhile. Not to mention the fact that The Decapited Mole's fics seem to have vanished. I can't think of who else would be an odd writer. And what do you mean by Most Sadistic? Is that killing off a bunch of characters, or being cruel to the readers, or what? I'm a tad confused about that one. :confused:

classy_cat18
15th December 2003, 01:07 PM
I think it's all of the above, mr_pikachu.

What about "Best Intro of a Character" award?

Mancetric_Trainer
17th December 2003, 04:06 AM
Most Funniest Fic What made you laugh alot

Best tear-jerker! What made you cry alot

Most suspenseful fic What had you on the edge of your seat.

Lady Vulpix
17th December 2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Mancetric_Trainer
Most suspenseful fic What had you on the edge of your seat.

I think that would be quite similar to the Best Mystery award.

About the ones I suggested, I'd like to clear a few things out.
• Best Original Cast refers to the cast as a whole and the interactions etween them, not a character in particular.
•And Best Continuity may be confusing, I was talking about stories in which, upon reading the latter chapters, you begin to understand things that happened in previous ones, or fics that bring back issues/characters from way back and do it in a neat way. The contradiction part means that fics that contradict themselves (as in saying something is one way and suddenly shifting to another for no reason) would not apply.

[Edit: new idea; could be a counterpart for Best Mystery. Best Revelation. :D]

Zee Sage
19th December 2003, 05:02 PM
Just had a brain spaz, dont have a lot of those but anyway how about:

Best Non-Pokemon Fic

Tell me if its not bad.

mistysakura
20th December 2003, 04:34 AM
Zee Sage: It already exists... read the bold text. It's bold for a reason. Not meaning to sound mean, it was probably just a mistake.

Zee Sage
20th December 2003, 07:01 PM
Dang I gues it is true i am an idiot second catagory, damn i could swear i couldnt see it. Oh well.

mistysakura
26th December 2003, 04:04 PM
The nominations are now up! Thanks everyone who suggested new categories.