PDA

View Full Version : The 2008 Silver Pencil Awards ~ Suggestion Topic!

mr_pikachu
1st July 2008, 04:41 AM
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the 2008 Silver Pencil Awards! I'm your host, mr_pikachu. My co-host, Gavin Luper, will be arriving shortly.

As many of you know, the Silver Pencils and Golden Pens are an annual tradition here in Fanfic. Furthermore, as some of you surely recall, the Golden Pens are held mid-year and the Silver Pencils at the end of the calendar.

Well, no more! It is only fitting that we close the year with the Golden Pens, as we now realize. If you've ever watched the Olympics, you know why we're saving the Golden Pens for the grand finale of each year.

Now that you understand that little tweak, let's get on with it!

Those of you who have done this before know how everything works, but for the newcomers among us, I'll explain. Basically, the Silver Pencils and Golden Pens are how we recognize the best Fanficcers around. But before we do that, we have to decide how they'll be recognized. So you have to help us decide!

Below is a list of all the categories in the 2007 Silver Pencils. It's your job to suggest new categories to be added or old ones to be eliminated from the list. After the hosts sort out all the categories based on your input, the nomination phase begins.

That's all there is to it. So, think it's about time we added a new category? Or is there one that's outlived its usefulness? Post here and let us know!

The deadline for suggestions is July 14th, 2008 at 11:59:59 p.m. Central Standard Time.

General Fic Awards (Whole Fanfics)

Best Fiction Overall
Best Pokémon Fic
Best Yu-Gi-Oh! Fic
Best Nonfiction/Alternate Fandom Fic
Best Dark Fic
Best Trainer Fic
Best Fantasy Fic
Best Comedy Fic
Best Action Fic
Most Original Concept
Best Description
Best Writing Style
Best Plot
Most Improved Fic
Best Short Story
Best Poem
Best Overall Setting
Best New Fic
Best Potential Screenplay*

Fic Moments (Parts of Fanfics)

Best Plot Twist
Best Battle Scene
Most Emotional Moment
Funniest Moment
Best Chapter
Best Quote
Best Moment

Characters (People and Creatures in Fanfics)

Best Character in a Leading Role
Best Character in a Supporting Role
Best Villain
Funniest Character
Most Original Character
Best Romantic Relationship
Best Un-Romantic Relationship
Best Original Pokémon
Best Created Card
Most Original Deck
Best Character Development

Member Awards (Fanficcers)

Best Writer
Best New Writer
Most Dedicated Writer
Most Improved Writer
Best Reader
Most Well-Rounded Member

Community Awards (Fanficcers)

Biggest Drama Queen/King
Most Likely to Become a Couple
Least Likely to Become a Couple
Least Likely to Have an Iota of Fun in Life
Most Likely to Take Over TPM
Most Evil Fanficcer
Nicest Fanficcer
Quirkiest Fanficcer
Worst Writer’s Block
Funniest Fanficcer

*Best Potential Screenplay: This category is for any fic, of any format, around the forum that you think would be successful if adapted into a film or screenplay.

So, what categories do you want? Tell us!

Houndoom_Lover
1st July 2008, 01:57 PM
Isn't the Silver Pencil winter?

Either way I have some catagory ideas!
-The Best Finished Fanfiction
-Most Rememberable Background Character

Oh, wow- I had more but I can't seem to think at that moment ^w^ *scuttles away*

classy_cat18
1st July 2008, 02:39 PM
Isn't the Silver Pencil winter?

Yeah, but the guys in charge got messed up with the timing of it and all. XP

mr_pikachu
1st July 2008, 03:08 PM
As many of you know, the Silver Pencils and Golden Pens are an annual tradition here in Fanfic. Furthermore, as some of you surely recall, the Golden Pens are held mid-year and the Silver Pencils at the end of the calendar.

Well, no more! It is only fitting that we close the year with the Golden Pens, as we now realize. If you've ever watched the Olympics, you know why we're saving the Golden Pens for the grand finale of each year.

Now that you understand that little tweak, let's get on with it!

¿Tú habla Inglès?

classy_cat18
1st July 2008, 03:39 PM
¿Tú habla Inglès?

Iie, baka.

Best Battlefield? Anywhere that the characters have brawled on.

Mewfour
2nd July 2008, 02:29 AM
Is it that time to rouse out of hibernation and write again?

Why am I still coming here? I'm 24 years old. Christ on a stick.

classy_cat18
2nd July 2008, 03:19 AM
Is it that time to rouse out of hibernation and write again?

Why am I still coming here? I'm 24 years old. Christ on a stick.

It's not like there's an age limit. I'm almost 24, and Gabi's even older than we are.

Houndoom_Lover
2nd July 2008, 12:15 PM
Hmm, yes :P That explination didn't register in my head of heads- It was too busy being confused. But now that I'm finished being playfully insulted in heathen tongues, I'll take my emotional scars and add some these:

-The Most Uncomfortable Moments
-The Most Disturbing Character
-The Most Awkward Fanfiction

Shadow Wolf
2nd July 2008, 05:36 PM
Well, I don't know if this has been mentioned before, as I'm a newb in this but...

-Best rival(a rival is not always a villain, right?)

-Best Intro

-Best Ending

-Most dramatic moment(don't know if this could be related to most emotional moment)

...and that's all I have in mind.

Houndoom_Lover
3rd July 2008, 05:15 PM
Oh! I like yours, Louis- look at me, calling you Louis :P. The Rival is not always the villian. That's a good point. Look at Pokemon. Best Intro is a good idea, and best ending *looks misty eyed* On day...I'll finish something- Yes! Away *rides on a rainbow up and outa there*

classy_cat18
3rd July 2008, 05:32 PM
But what would count as a rival? Rival in battle? In love? In achievement? All of the above? And rivalry is usually mutual (meaning that either person will be a rival or it could be a web of rivals), or it could be one-way (one person may not even acknowledge that the either exists) and there's never just one person with a rival.

In all fairness, it would probably fit under Best Unromantic Relationship. Or, if you want to make it its own category, Best Rivalry.

EDIT: I thought about this too much. Can you tell?

Dark Sage
3rd July 2008, 05:37 PM
Please, there are tons of rivals. Ash Ketchum has Gary. Yugi Mouto has Kaiba. These people aren't villains (well, not most of the time); in fact, the heroes often count them as allies when the actual villains put their schemes to work.

But if the hero has a competitor in his goal to reach the top, he can be called a rival. It's almost a staple these days.

classy_cat18
3rd July 2008, 05:42 PM
So...do we have to specify the person that shares the rivalry? Because the main character isn't the only one with a rival. For instance, Yugi does have Kaiba, but he pretty much also has Joey. You could say that Joey also thought of Kaiba as a rival. That's why I think we should have a Best Rivalry, instead of just Best Rival, to acknowledge the whole relationship instead of just one person.

mistysakura
4th July 2008, 04:25 AM
Best E-zine article, anyone?

firepokemon
4th July 2008, 04:55 AM
I like the idea of best E-zine article since its quite a major thing to write an e-zine article and there have been some good ones.

Edit: They're all good since people work really hard on them and stuff. What I should have said, is there are some GREAT ones. ^_^

The only real thing I have to say about these awards is I think there's just way too many awards so I'm gonna suggest which ones should go.

Best Created Card
Most Original Deck

- Both of those since other than Dark Sage I'm not that aware of other people using decks or cards in their fics. And really one could say, perhaps best Yu Gi Oh fanfic should go as well, but then its probably going too far.

Most Likely to Become a Couple
Least Likely to Become a Couple

I just find those awards to be rather lame personally.

----

I think there's still too many but those four were pretty obvious ones that I feel need to go.

----

And I do have a question about the Best Reader award? What is that judged on? Dedicated reading of a fanfic? Or someone who reads and gives great reviews/critiques to a fanfic?

mr_pikachu
15th July 2008, 12:34 AM
The suggestion period is over! Please wait as your hosts prepare the nomination thread.

Gavin Luper
16th July 2008, 06:20 AM
Sit tight, guys. The nominations thread will be along once Brian and I wade through all the suggestions (timezones and jobs are problematic). Expect the next phase within the next day!