PDA

View Full Version : The 2007 Silver Pencil Awards ~ Suggestion Topic!

mr_pikachu
17th December 2007, 12:18 AM
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the 2007 Silver Pencil Awards!

I'm your host, mr_pikachu. My co-host, Gavin Luper, is absent today with a severe case of who-gives-a-****. So replacing him will be... uh... mr_pikachu! Isn't that nice.

Those of you who have done this before know how everything works, but for the newcomers among us, I'll explain. Basically, the Silver Pencils and Golden Pens are how we recognize the best Fanficcers around. But before we do that, we have to decide how they'll be recognized. So you have to help us decide!

Below is a list of all the categories in the 2006 Silver Pencils. It's your job to suggest new categories to be added or old ones to be eliminated from the list. After the hosts sort out all the categories based on your input, the nomination phase begins.

That's all there is to it. So, think it's about time we added a new category? Or is there one that's outlived its usefulness? Post here and let us know!

EDIT: The deadline for suggestions is December 28th, 2007 at 11:59:59 p.m. Central Standard Time.

General Fic Awards (Whole Fanfics)

Best Fiction Overall
Best Pokemon Fic
Best Yu-Gi-Oh! Fic
Best Nonfiction/Alternate Fandom Fic
Best Dark Fic
Best Trainer Fic
Best Fantasy Fic
Best Comedy Fic
Best Action
Most Original Concept
Best Description
Best Writing Style
Best Plot
Most Improved Fic
Best Short Story
Best Poem
Most Promising New Fic
Best Overall Setting

Fic Moments (Parts of Fanfics)

Best Plot Twist
Best Battle Scene
Most Suspenseful Moment
Most Emotional Moment
Funniest Moment
Best Chapter
Best Quote
Best Single Location

Characters (People and Creatures in Fanfics)

Best Character in a Leading Role
Best Character in a Supporting Role
Best Villain
Funniest Character
Most Original Character
Best Romantic Relationship
Best Un-Romantic Relationship
Best Original Cast
Best New Pokemon

Member Awards (Fanficcers)

Most Unusual Board Member
Best New Writer
Most Dedicated Writer
Most Improved Writer
Best Writer
Most Dedicated Reader
Best Reviewer
Best Newcomer to the Boards
Most Well-Rounded Member

Community Awards (Fanficcers)

Biggest Drama Queen/King
Most Likely to Become a Couple
Least Likely to Become a Couple
Least Likely to Have an Iota of Fun in Life
Most Likely to Overtake TPM
Biggest Chat Loudmouth
Most Evil Fanficcer
Nicest Fanficcer
Quirkiest Fanficcer
Most Likely to Never Complete His/Her Fic

Additionally, some categories were included in the 2006 Golden Pens but were not in the Silver Pencils. For your reference, those are:

General Fic Awards (Whole Fanfics)
Best Single Location

Fic Moments (Parts of Fanfics)
Best Romantic Moment
Best Comedic Moment
Best Depicted Death

Characters (People and Creatures in Fanfics)
Best Created Card
Most Original Deck

So, what categories do you want? Tell us!

Mewfour
17th December 2007, 01:35 AM
How about a "Most Badass Moment" or "Most Badass Quote?"

Blademaster
17th December 2007, 05:59 AM
I second the Badass idea. Bring back those 6 GP extras, too. I could use a few more awards. :hellyeah:

Houndoom_Lover
23rd December 2007, 04:31 PM
I like member with longest 'writer's block', I don't know how we're going to do that one, but I think its cute ^_^

mario72486
23rd December 2007, 10:57 PM
I like member with longest 'writer's block', I don't know how we're going to do that one, but I think its cute ^_^

That shouldn't be too much of a problem. All we'd have to do is look back at unfinished works and see which one hasn't been updated in the longest time. I'm guilty as charged, since I haven't added a new chapter in months.

As for suggestions, I have one. How about 'Best New Fic'? By that, I a fic that's been posted within the last few months.

Bulbasaur4
23rd December 2007, 11:07 PM
I have to make this fast due to limited internets times!

But I say you extend that suggestion topic deadline so yah know... it isn't on Christmas Eve but rather a few days past. That way, people like me (and hey, maybe I'm the only one) who don't really have internet access due to traveling to visit family can respond once they return. ^_^;; I've been without internet for a week and a few days! OMG!

This is a rarity but I'd like to post ideas on the 27th. ^_^;;;

*bad ass quote is a good idea btw* XD

mr_pikachu
24th December 2007, 01:43 AM
In my infinite kindness, your host has decided to extend the deadline by four days. Use it wisely!

And Gavin is here. Somewhere. He's using his mad ninja skills to sneak amongst you all undetected. Ooh...

mistysakura
24th December 2007, 05:14 AM
I'd say Best New Fic is pretty much covered with Most Promising New Fic... and Longest Writer's Block is rather like Least Likely to Finish His/Her Fic (although I do like your suggested name better, Houndoom Lover). Hmm... not a new idea, but let's bring Best Character Development back :) And I'm thinking maybe Funniest Fanficcer or something like that.

Drago
24th December 2007, 05:32 AM
Granted, I know it's probably not a good idea since the awards are meant to symbolise what's in at the time... But I wouldn't mind seeing awards for things gone by, ie. most missed fic or ficcer? Perhaps these awards could only be valid for fics/ficcers who have disappeared since the last awards.

mr_pikachu
25th December 2007, 01:46 AM
Okay, I have a suggestion to bring up for discussion. Since, for the first time I can remember, we currently have multiple established romances in Fanfic, should we add Best Couple to the list alongside Most Likely to Become a Couple? Otherwise we might have multiple nominations of current couples for Most Likely, since there would be nowhere else to put them.

Alternatively, we could try to figure out a way to combine the two. For instance, Best Couple/Potential Couple, or something worded better. :P

Bulbasaur4
26th December 2007, 01:54 PM
I second misty on that- best character developement sounds like a good idea, since part of writing is developing characters!

I also think having "Should Be a Couple" a catagory could go with what you're saying, m_p. ^_^

firepokemon
27th December 2007, 08:00 AM
For people not to get myself and fireguardian mixed up. Poor kid whoever he or she is, getting their story nominated and then it being in my name.

Houndoom_Lover
27th December 2007, 12:59 PM
Yay! ^.^ My wording is liked!! These things are so much fun to do- I love award times, isn't it exciting? ^_^ Hmm, something quirky, like the Fic most likely to become a motion picture! ^_^ *giggles at the thought of it*

classy_cat18
27th December 2007, 01:16 PM
Yay! ^.^ My wording is liked!! These things are so much fun to do- I love award times, isn't it exciting? ^_^ Hmm, something quirky, like the Fic most likely to become a motion picture! ^_^ *giggles at the thought of it*

Hmm. Fic Most Likely to Become a Movie/Anime. Or, Fic Most Likely to be Licensed or Bought. Aw yeah!

Houndoom_Lover
27th December 2007, 02:43 PM
Joy! Things that are coming out of my face are of some use ^_^!! Tomorrow is the deadline, I wonder how many more we can get?

mr_pikachu
29th December 2007, 03:31 AM
The Suggestion Topic is officially closed! Please wait as we prepare for the nomination phase...