PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Summer Awards - Input Please!

Andrew
19th July 2003, 06:36 AM
http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11079

Ummm, yeah, Summer Awards... its summer in the Northern Hemisphere... and your input is a good idea, tell us what you want different, what you think would be a better idea, and possible categories and stuff... And did you like the voting system?

Oh well, thanks!

Chris 2.1
19th July 2003, 11:09 AM
erm.....do you want input here or not? ^_^;;;

Ok, I dont know (or can't remember) what went like who in the Northern Winter awards (Southern Summer technically), but I don't think people should vote for their own fics....that's lame-o :-/

Erm.....and suggesting catagories...

Best Poem

Funniest twist on a Pokemon Stereotype (Ie: Pokemon characteristics. SilverMachop will win this....lol)

erm...

That's all i can think of for now, but more soon when my brain kicks in....

Tyler and Hobbes
19th July 2003, 11:36 AM
I'm just writing the first things that come to my head.

Most Wittiest character

Best quote

that's my two cents:yes: :confused: :( :rolleyes: ;)

Mindprobe
19th July 2003, 12:08 PM
Lemme see...

Categories:

Best Fiction Overall

Most Humoristic Fiction

Best Female Character

Best Male Character

Best Non-Human Character

Best Plot and Storyline

Best Villian

Best Quality Fiction (Describing)

Most Realistic Fiction

(Allready mentioned:)

Best Poem

Funniest Twist On A Pokemon Stereotype

Most Wittiest Character

Best Quote

Voting & Nominees:

Three or four nominees from different categories are chosen by a jury. Formed by 3 or 4 people chosen by the mods. The amount of jury members should accorde to the amount of nominees. Each member of the jury, puts one nominee on a category. When the nominees are chosen, the list is put in some place, where people can see it and then vote for them. The jury member can't put a fic of their own on a category.

Voting:

People send a PM to somone, i.e. OzAndrew. The sender can't vote anymore than one nominee from one category, and they are not allowed to vote on their own fictions. The subject should be, Summer Awards voting, or something like that.

The Decapitated Mole
19th July 2003, 04:33 PM
I agree that people shouldn't be able to vote for their own fics, but I think that they should be able to nominate their own.

Also: Suggested categories:

I think that the awards should be split into two categories: Fanfics and Member awards

fic awards:

Best overall
Best Detail
Best Overall
Best Trainer
Best Non-Pokémon
Best Dark
Best Non-trainer pokémon [don't know what to call it]
Best Comedy
Best male character
Best male character in a leading role
best female character
best female character in a leading role
best rival
Best Plot
Best Romance
Best new fic
Best Sci-fi
Best Action

Member Awards:

Best writer
Best new writer
Best character based on a board member
Oddest Writer
Most sadistic writer
Most dedicated writer

There are more, but I'm tired of typing and thinking at the moment. Later.

o_0
jimm
Most Dedicated Reader

Best new writer

dratinihaunter13
19th July 2003, 05:50 PM
the summer/winter awards never allowed self-voting in the first place.
I think I remember a request for Best Title after the last awards show.

Powarun
19th July 2003, 09:28 PM
Um feels nervous posting in important topics.

Character most willing to seek revenge, you know like um a person that gets shot and tries to get the other person shot by great leghths.

I also think that these are good ideas, and I do have a question how do you pick what fics, I mean are you guys going to be looking on every page and reading every fan fic, or how is this decided.

Mewfour
19th July 2003, 11:21 PM
Somethign else I think I should add, no nominating "old" fics for categories like "Best character" You don't see a classic like Gone with the Wind winning any more Emmys, now do you?

Also, please allow self-nominations. Self-voting is pretty pointless actually, otherwise, we'd all just vote for ourselves. Self nominating, however, is a different bag of beans completely. How about a maximum amount of self noms? Two? Three?

Kohdok
20th July 2003, 12:11 AM
Best Male Villian
Best Female Villian
Best Non-Human Villian
Best Comedic Villain
Best Serious Villain
Best Supporting Pokemon
Best Evil Motto
Best Evil Organization
Best New Pokemon
Most Cliches

Chris 2.1
20th July 2003, 05:51 AM
Ok...ummmmm.....

Funniest Gym Leader in a trainer fic

Most unique city in a fanfic

Best Newcomer to the boards

How come when I get good idea's i'm never online? AND how come when I come online I forget my ideas? >__<

mistysakura
20th July 2003, 06:00 AM
Best Plot Twist
Most original character
Best cliffhanger
That's all I can think of so far.

dratinihaunter13
20th July 2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Mewfour
Somethign else I think I should add, no nominating "old" fics for categories like "Best character" You don't see a classic like Gone with the Wind winning any more Emmys, now do you?

good point. how do we determine "old" fics from new fics though? the best way i can think of is the fic must be on the board at the time of nomination. i'm down with that as long as not too many members have a problem with it.

Also, please allow self-nominations. Self-voting is pretty pointless actually, otherwise, we'd all just vote for ourselves. Self nominating, however, is a different bag of beans completely. How about a maximum amount of self noms? Two? Three?

i don't know. i mean, if a fic is truly regarded as "good", it will be nominated by someone. self-nomination could make for some real out-of-place nominees (no offense to anyone). i just don't see the point of self-nomination, when banning self-nomination helps narrow the field down to appreciated fics from other members.

and dang if we accept all these categories we will have WAY too many come awards time:o

Otto=ottO
20th July 2003, 07:35 PM
I posted a fic for a friend, can I nominate it? I mean he is a member here, but when no one 'cept me read his fic, he kinda got discouraged.

"Most unread fic" is a good category, I mean people are lucky if they get a reader. Although, who would vote for them if they haven't read the fic? So maybe "The fic most desperate for Readers" That one can be self-nomination. I don't mind myself volunteering to make sure these fics need readers. Then, it can be a sort of ad for them or something. Blatent ad topics are all good, but some major topic like this will help them out a lot. No matter how good fics are, they still need to be read to be appreciated.

Mystic Latios
20th July 2003, 07:52 PM
Ummmm....

Most Promising Fic (Best Uncompleted)
Fic of the Year (Best Completed)
Best Plot Twist
Most Original Fanfic
Most Humoristic Character

That's all I could think of so far.

Iveechan
20th July 2003, 09:54 PM
How about best unfinished fic?

Last Exile
21st July 2003, 09:06 PM
Best Stupid Plot Twist
Best Stupid Incident
Best Idiot Character
Best Mornoic Quote
Best Tool (as in for those who intentionally write toolish stuff!) XD
Best Stuff-up by a character
Best no-we-didn't-wan't-that-to-happen! incident in a fic
Best fic in the Northern Hemisphere
Best fic in the Southern Hemisphere
Best fic in the USA
Best fic in the UK
Best fic in Europe
Best fic in Asia
Best fic in South America
Best fic in Africa
Best fic in Australia
Best fic in Adelaide, South Australia! XD j/k :P

They're my suggestions.

Vex 47
22nd July 2003, 12:43 AM
About the best unfinished fic and best completed fic deal. I don't think that best unfinished fic and best finished fic awards are needed. If a fic is good and is running along smoothly I feel that it should still be able to be voted for as best overall fic. I mean, good writing is still good writing whether or not it's completed. That's just my two cents.

ThePhenom
22nd July 2003, 10:27 PM
Who nominates/votes for the people for each category?

I'd shed a tear if I got any kind of nomination. ;o

Meganium
23rd July 2003, 07:22 AM
I agree with other people I think a catagory like Most Promising Fic is a good one.

I would to shed a tear if anyone nominated me, but thats out of the question.

SilverMachop
23rd July 2003, 01:42 PM
Best Pokémon Battle Scene
Best Job At Fooling The Readers
Best Character Over-All
Best Pokémon Character Over-All

Murray the Evil Skull Award (Most Evil Character)
Guybrush Threepwood Award (Most Clueless but Still Reliable Character, like Ash is)
Crow T. Robot Award (Best Smart-Aleck Character)
Jackie Chan Award (Pokémon Character That Fights Best)
"Weird Al" Yankovic Award (Best Story That Is Generally Strange and Funny)
Yoda Award (Most Wise Character)
Sherlock Holmes Award (Story With The Biggest Mystery)
The Awards Award (Author That Won The Most Awards)

Potato Dude
23rd July 2003, 03:24 PM
If I finish in time, I've got a shot at that Weird Al award.

Cyndaquil7
24th July 2003, 02:54 PM
Prolly repeating some but who cares

Best Pokemon Battle
Best New Writer
Best New Fic
Best Gym Leader

mr_pikachu
25th July 2003, 07:09 PM
About the idea of having a small jury make the nominations, I'd like to make a little analogy (courtesy of the US government). When we're deciding a really big thing, i.e. the President, anyone in the country can vote (in this case anyone on the Fanfic forum). However, when you're deciding really minor details about specific laws, THEN you have a small group of representatives. Do you understand what I'm saying? I just mean that everyone who participates on this forum should be able to participate in all parts of the voting process.

Think about this, too: Some fics get a lot of readers, but those readers aren't necessarily the most well-known people on the forum. Under the jury system, those fics would never be nominated. 'Nuff said. Thanks. :wave:

ThePhenom
25th July 2003, 08:00 PM
I agree with mr pikachu. Just because a lot of people don't read your fic doesn't mean it can't be one of the best on the forum.

mistysakura
26th July 2003, 06:37 AM
Can I add my opinion that what is classified as an "old" fic ie. no more best character awards :( should have been around since the last summer awards. A year seems like a good cutoff point for old and new, especially with fanfics since lots of new ones pop up.
EDIT: For completed fic awards, I also think that they should have at least one chance for the award. What I meant above was for "Best main character" etc. And, maybe it would be okay to nominate stuff in "Old fics", if what you are nominating for didn't exist in the last winter awards. I mean, for things like "Best quote" and "Best supporting character", new items can pop up at any time in the fic, unlike "Best Villian" (unless your villian doesn't stay the same person throughout the fic). It would be unfair if there were some excellent things which could never get awards just because their fic is classified as "old".

mr_pikachu
26th July 2003, 12:37 PM
Okay, this is the second time I've replied to this in a 24 hour period, but I feel the need to share another opinion, this time about the "old fic" classification. I feel that after completion, a fic should have one final shot at awards before becoming known as "old". As we know, writers don't have too much control about when a fic ends, they usually just go with the flow. So a fic may end immediately after an awards competition. If we used a time-limit based system that fic, worthy as it my be, would never have a chance at the "completed fic" awards. Thus, my suggestion. Feel free to disagree, as I admit there are many different perspectives to consider.

The Decapitated Mole
7th August 2003, 09:35 PM
Yeah, but what if the fic was completed a while ago, and is being reposted?

Also, about self-nomination. I think it should be allowed because if your fic is not that well known, and you nominate it, it may get some people to read it and possibly like it, because if your fic isn't that well-known or widely read, then it would hardly have a chance at being nominated.

o_0
jimm

Captain Pringle
8th August 2003, 12:12 AM
Self-nomination should definitely NOT be allowed. If it were, many people would just vote for their own fics, which serves no real purpose. It's much better to have people nominating each other's stories that they feel are worthy of recognition. That's why the rule has always been in place (at least for every Awards I've seen).

The Decapitated Mole
8th August 2003, 10:35 AM
But what I'm saying is that self-nomination should be allowed, so that if your fic is good, yet doesn't have many readers, it will probably not get nominated, even if it is worthy of an award. If it's nominated, you may get people to check it out, and perhaps vote for it. I'm saying that self-nomination should be allowed. Self-voting shouldn't.

o_0
jimm

Captain Pringle
8th August 2003, 01:57 PM
In most cases (I know there are exceptions), a good fic will have readers, at least a few. And even though it may not be the most popular fic on the board, those few readers will know that it's a really great fic, and it's up to them to go nominate it.

Like I said, with self-nominations allowed, we'd have almost everybody nominating their own fics. And though that might help some well-written yet unpopular fic to get the recognition it deserves, it would also allow Joe Newbie to come along, post chapter 1 of his "I woke up late and went to Professor Tree's lab and they were out of pokemon but wait there's a pikachu!" fic, and then nominate it for an award.

As you said, "If it's nominated, you may get people to check it out." If self-nominations were allowed, some people (like Joe Newbie up there) might use the awards as a way to get some cheap advertising in for their fic, and it would just get messy... in my opinion. ^_^

Chris 2.1
8th August 2003, 05:36 PM
I agree with CP, I saw that on the first board I was ever on, it was like 'I'd like to vote for MY fic! Joeys adventures in Kanto and Jhohto (early days ^^) with Pichu' and it sucked.

Oh well. It shouldn't be allowed, because Joey Newbie would say 'I voted a Kajillion times and nowi won go andcheck out my fic its greyt' and we'd need our N00b-busting guns ^^

Oh, is voting PM or in-topic?

The Decapitated Mole
8th August 2003, 07:22 PM
Most likely the voting will be PM like it always has.

Also, I agree that people should not be able to vote for themselves. But they should be able to nominate themselves. Because if, like CP said, a newbie just uses it for advertising of his fic, then if the fic is any good, and therefore deserving of an award, it may get one, but if it is crappy, as CP said, then even if it got people to read it, if it's that bad, it wouldn't get any votes and would therefore not win an award, and have no effect on anything.

o_0
jimm

Gavin Luper
10th August 2003, 04:23 AM
No, self-nomination is not allowed and never will be. I agree with Captain Pringle, and besides, that rule has always stood.

Oh, and about that 'old' fic thing: a fiction is classified as an 'old' one if it has been running for more than a year i think. That means it was posted more than one year ago, is still current, and is not yet completed.

Cheers!

The Decapitated Mole
11th August 2003, 07:41 AM
But why? Just because it hasn't been allowed in the past, does that mean that it can't happen now? I think I've come up with reasonable answers to the problems that have been posted with self-nominations, so if you can come up with a problem that is a good solid reason why self-nomination can't be allowed, I'll leave it alone. But I have yet to see one in this topic.

o_0
jimm

Gavin Luper
12th August 2003, 02:22 AM
You sound really ignorant, TDM, but I'll answer you anyway. As someone (I think it was CP) said earlier, if a fic is good enough, the readers will nominate it for a category. If you don't get nominated, that shows that your fic isn't the greatest in the world. The Awards are all about the reader's interpretations and beliefs, not the writers; and more often than not, self-nomination is used to the point of no control, and there's no real way of distinguishing the good self-nominations from the bad ones. Also, with the preferential voting system used these days, it would be further injustice.

So, there you go ... hopefully there's enough evidence in there to make you understand why there has never been self-nominations allowed in the Summer and Winter Awards, and why there probably never will be.

mr_pikachu
12th August 2003, 12:39 PM
Hmm. Hey Gavin, can I clarify something?

Let's make a scenario. A year from now, my fic, What Dreams Are Made Of, is still running. (btw, I started a few months ago) Therefore, even if it is still active, is it not eligible for any awards at that point? (I understand that it would be eligible up to that point.) I'm just a little confused, since I thought that any active fic could win awards.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question!

The Decapitated Mole
12th August 2003, 02:46 PM
Yeh, I was wondering about what you said there as well...

o_0
jimm

Gavin Luper
15th August 2003, 08:31 AM
I didn't say anything like that ...

I said that once your fic has been going for more than a year, it is eligible for the 'oldtime fic' award. But of course it is still eligible for any other award ... you were confusing yourself!

Cheers!

mr_pikachu
15th August 2003, 11:40 AM
Okay, thanks for making that clear, Gavin. I was unsure of what you meant, and that's why I asked. Thanks, that helped clear some things up for me. :wave:

RJdude
15th August 2003, 01:22 PM
Here's what I think about the whole old fic/new fic thing.

I think a fic can be nominated as many times as possible until after the first time it is nominated after the fic is finished, then it can no longer be nominated.

For example, let's say little Johnny's fic, A Pokemon Journey, is nominated for several awards, but by the time it is nominated, it has not been completed. A Pokemon Journey can therefore be nominated again in the winter. But if A Pokemon Journey is finished before the nominations for the winter awards are announced, then it can not be nominated in the following summer awards, and no awards after that period. However, if A Pokemon Journey is not finished by the winter awards, then it can still be nominated in the following summer. And of course, if A Pokemon Journey is finished by it's first summer award, it can no longer be nominated after that.

I know someone has probably said this before, but oh well.

And here are some catergories I think might be good:

- Best Fanfic (duh)
- Best Genre fic (Trainer, romance, science fiction, comedy, etc..., by the way, those are each differnt awards)
- Best main male character (meaning the best male character the fic is based around. If the Pokemon anime was a fic, then Ash would be the only one that could be nominated for this)
- Best main female character
- Best suporting male character
- Best suporting female character
- Best Chapter
- Best Relationship
- Biggest Plot Twist
- Funnest fic
- Most original fic
- Most promising fic (If A Pokemon Journey is not finished by its first summer awards, it can be nominated for this, but it can't be nominated any other time)

Well, those are just some of my ideas.

Edit: And aother thing: no self nomination or voting. I think the nominations should be picked by a group of five to six people who are trusted fic readers, and have read pretty much every fic, or at least most of them.

Powarun
15th August 2003, 04:54 PM
Self Nomintionals = NO, it is not fair for other people, ya know, its just like saying, come to this site on a pop up menu and if you click it it gets spam. I also think that forcing readers to read a fic is also wrong, by sending Pm's to tell them to read it, wehn a good fic would eventually attract readers, Yeah it may have a bumpy start but it may get to be favored or not. I know that almost half of my fic is not up to standards, since half of all things are below average, but it pushes me to improve a upon a fic, or create another fic with writing.

Another nomination, most improved from the begining.

Oh and when will the nominations be announced?

Troy - Rise and Fall
23rd August 2003, 01:03 AM
Okay, here's the best reason I came up with after three seconds of considering self-nominations (yeah, I didn't put that much thought into it XD):

Self-nominations are acutally no biggie, but I have to agree with Captain Pringle on the "people have to think your fic is good". Your fic may be excellent to you but it may not be for anyone else on the board (if it were, they'd nominate it). If the case is that you only have a few readers and they don't think your fic is the new Bible or something (lol), then what's the point in nominating it?

I mean, if noone nominated your fic, the noone is gonna vote for it if you nominate it yourself, see my point? If you nominate your own fic and 2 more people nominate your fic, there is a hard chance you'll get 3 votes on your fic (unless your fic *is* like, the new Bible or something XD), so you're just getting your hopes up for nothing.

Is it clear what I'm trying to say? (I'm pretty sleepy right now). Anyway, it's like this: remember that the same people who nominate fics are the people who're going to be voting for the same awards (unless there's a new rule I'm missing).

Anyway, on the "How Many Nominations Can You Come Up With?" thread that will never die, I think categories should be decided by mods or... repsentatives of the Fanfic board. Oh wait, that's what mods are ;). That way we won't have stupid categories such as "Best Dream Sequence" with only 2 nominations or "Most Wittiest Character" (sorry, I just had to point this out), when we know "Most" is for long adjectives and the termination "est" is for short adjectives. So Most Wittiest would be VERY WRONG.

Heh, I just thought that was pretty funny.

Anyway, see my point? Even though some categories might be funny, they wwon't be taken seriously by the nominations, I mean, there's a good chance that "Worse Typo" will get about 3 nominations MAX (I must be feeling funny right now or something XD).

Anyway, that's it.

- Troy

PancaKe
28th August 2003, 07:31 AM
Right - this whole "Self Nomination" deal. It is not going to happen. No way. It never has been allowed for a few reasons and everybody has pretty much summed them up. I just want to make it clear that the whole no self nomination rule stands because:

- A lot of Joe Newbies (the annoying type) will use it for cheap advertising and that makes it unfair to everybody else, especially if the joe newbie decides to nominate his own fic in every single category.
- If your fic is nominated by yourself and it wins then where's the fun in that? I mean, its got no value if you cheated to win.
- Other people will vote for your fic if they think its worth being nominated for. If it doenst' get nominated for then don't worry, its no big deal really. This contest is just for fun anyway.

So can we please drop the argument? There will not be any self nomination rule changes - its not allowed and therefore no doing it. Oz and DH - you better agree with me.

And this whole New Fic old Fic if its been running for a year its old fic - lemme clarify something:

I'm not sure all the rules will be changing but as far as I know If a fic is a year old then its old but if its not finished then its not old Right i hope you understood that. I have to clarify that with Oz and DH thought, but thats what I'm pretty sure it is. So if say, Average Joe is working on a fic for over a year now, then it wont be old until its finished and a year has passed or something. I'm goign to check with DH and Oz on this though. But also please remember:

There is a Most Promising Fic category for those unfinished fics, there is (or should be) an Old Time Fic and there are a few other categories which I cant remember right now which involve new and old fics.

And these are all the categories which have been suggested so far (we havent chosen yet):

General Fiction:
Best Fiction Overall
Best Non-Pokémon
Best Dark
Best Non-trainer fic
Best trainer fic
Best Comedy
Best Romance
Best new fic
Best Sci-fi
Best Action
Best poem
Best fic in the USA
Best fic in Europe
Best fic in Asia
Best fic in Africa
Best fic in Australia

Writing style:
Most Cliches
Best cliffhanger
Best described fic
Best Plot Twist
Best Plot and Storyline
Best Stupid Plot Twist
Best Stupid Incident
Most Original Fanfic
Most Humoristic Fiction
Most Realistic Fiction
- Best Chapter

Characters:
Most Wittiest character
Best Female Character
Best Non-Human Character
Best Male Character
Best Villian
Best Trainer
best rival
Best Male Villian
Best Female Villian
Best Non-Human Villian
Best Comedic Villain
Best Serious Villain
Funniest Gym Leader in a trainer fic
Best Supporting Pokemon
Most original character
Best Idiot Character
Best Stuff-up by a character
Best Character Over-All
Best Pokémon Character Over-All
- Best Relationship
Best Gym Leader

Member Awards:
Oddest Writer
Most sadistic writer
Most dedicated writer
Best Newcomer to the boards
Best writer
Best new writer

Miscelanious:
Best Evil Motto
Best Evil Organization
Best New Pokemon
Best character based on a board member
Funniest twist on a pokemon stereotype
Most unique city in a fanfic
Best quote
Best no-we-didn't-wan't-that-to-happen! incident in a fic
The Awards Award

And please PLEASE check the list before posting another suggestion. Also DONT START VOTING - Theyr'e not the official finalized categories

Well that took ages. Any questions/suggestions then shout okiez?

Bai

~Mist

Troy - Rise and Fall
28th August 2003, 03:37 PM
Okay, more thoughts on the "How Many Nominations Can You Come Up With?" thread that won't die.

Heh, I like calling it that way XD.
I changed the order of the nominations for... relevance I believe

General Fiction:
Best New Fic
Best Trainer Fic
Best Non-Pokémon
Best Dark
Best Action
Best Sci-fi
Best Comedy
Best Romance
Best Poem

So far, so good, I like these categories pretty much, I do think we should re-think Sci-Fi since it's not really that popular, but if there are enough fics to nominate and I'm just blind (I'm not that active, heh) then go ahead! I want to add a comment too, all categories except Most Promising Fic should include Short Stories (one-shots) aswell, right? I mean, they're still fics, and they don't lack quality because they're shorter. Another thing on shortfics, I think best New Fic should include only completed multi-parts and one-shots (uncompleted multi parts that are new apply for the same reason at Most Promising Fic) get it? Heh. Well, on with the categories I didn't aprove (like you *need* my aproval or something XD):

Best Non-Trainer fic
Best Fiction Overall
Best fic in the USA
Best fic in Europe
Best fic in Asia
Best fic in Africa
Best fic in Australia

Best Non-Trainer Fic: Unnecessary. It's like saying "best Non-Romance Fic" if it's not a trainer fit it into any of the other genders, the only reason Trainer became a gender is because it's a huge part of the pokemon Universe.

Best Fiction Overall: Uh, there is no need to have "TEH 8357 FR3AKING FIC EVARR!!! WTF LOL", Best Uncompleted and Best Completed is enough, you can't compare a completed fic with an incomplete one, it's not fair for either of them.

The Rest: What a waste of time, Northern Hemisphere and Usa and South America and whatever. This is just pointless, categorizing fics because of the nationality of the writer is plain boring. Besides, how many people from Africa or South America will be there? Like 5? I'm from South America, and I can tell you most of the Fic going on in SA is in Spanish, and Pokemsters is in English, so I just think it's inappropiate. I was pretty pissed with the fact Canadians and Mexicans were just included in the USA group instead of in the North America, is USA the belly-bottom of the world, despite what Bush says?

Writing style:
Most Original Fanfic
Best Plot and Storyline
Most Realistic Fiction
Best Described Fic
Best Plot Twist
Most Stupid Plot Twist
Best Cliffhanger
Most Cliches

Those are good, I found the Most Cliches one pretty funny XD. And I changed "Best Stupid Plot Twist" to "Most Stupid Plot Twist" I think both are okay, but whatever.

Best Stupid Incident
Most Humoristic Fiction
Best Chapter

Best Stupid Incident: This category should be included in Best Stupid Plot Twist, even if the incident *wasn't* a plot twist, both categories are too similar, it's just to avoid redundant nominations.

Most Humoristic Fiction: Already got Best Comedy up there, this is redundant.

Best Chapter: Really pushing the limits here, let's just stick to fics, completed or uncompleted. Nest thing you know there'll be "Best Paragraph" and "Best Line" and "Most Original Adjective". Really.

Characters:
Best Character
*Best Male Character
*Best Female Character
Best Secondary Character
Best Pokémon Character
Most Original Character
Most Wittiest character What the hell? Do people NOT read what they post? (don't even justify this, it'd be pointless, I'm just kidding)
Best Idiot Character
Best Relationship
Best Trainer
Best Villian
Best Rival
Best Gym Leader

As you can see, I added Best Character (there was a Best Character Overall category, I just deleted the Overall, same with Pokémon Character), and put some stars before Best Male and Best Female. You see, I was hoping I could get opinions on this: Characters are good not because they're male or they're female, so best character should be enough, BUT if you're feeling like awarding the Oscars or something, and think a Male Character can't be compared to a Female Character, then Best Character should be avoided. See? It's either one or the other, it's pointless to have the three of them, it'd be redundant (it's like the Uncompleted, Completed AND Overall fic issue, unnecessary). I also added the secondary character thing, you know "Supporting actor/actress" thing.

Funniest Gym Leader in a Trainer Fic
Best Stuff-up by a Character
Best Non-Human Character
Best Male Villian
Best Female Villian
Best Non-Human Villian
Best Comedic Villain
Best Serious Villain

Funniest Gym Leader: Put it in funniest character.

Stuff-Up by a Character: I have no clue what Stuff-up means, so it went to the unwanted list, if you can explain what this is for, I'll see (like it depended on me XD)

Best Non-Human Character: Same deal with Male and Female, if there is a Best Character then this is pointless, if there isn't, then this should be there. Forgot to leave it there with a star though ^^;;;

Best male/female in leading role:Put them in Best Male or Best Female, or in Best Character if that doesn't work out.

All those Villians: What the hell? Scratch all the subcategories for villians, villians are villians, funny, human or not. So just stick 'em in best Villian.

Member Awards:
Best Writer
Best New Writer
Most Dedicated Writer
Most Dedicated Reader
Most Sadistic Writer
Oddest Writer

Added the Most Dedicated Reader category, I remember it being used a while ago. It's like a friend award but whatever. Unless there's a rule against it, I think it'd be okay.

Best Newcomer to the boards Repetitive, put it in Best New Writer.

Miscelanious:
Best Quote
Best Evil Motto
Best New Pokemon
Funniest Twist on a Pokemon Stereotype
Best Evil Organization
Most Unique City in a Fic
Best No-We-Didn't-Wan't-That-To-Happen! Incident in a Fic

Any category here should be okay, so I didn't nitpick much, I just picked one that is plain stupid and one that is uhm, a mystery to me o_o

Best Character Based on a Board Member
The Awards Award

Best Character Based on a Board Member: Do we really wanna give prizes to Mary Sues or SI's? I mean, Self Inserts are like, a big no-no. Unless it's a fic about TPM or something, and even like that, it's still Mary Sue. Bash the Mary Sues!! Bash Them!!!

The Awards Award: No idea what this means. Explain please.

Well, that was long. Say what you think.

- Troy

PancaKe
30th August 2003, 08:15 PM
Those aren't the final thingies yet. We will be taking member's views and opinions as well as our own into account for the final list but right now I haven't talked to oz or dh for AGES so when they'd like to contact me we can start to eliminate others. Some of your opinoins i agree with, some of those topics i just went "wth omgosh they are so unnesecary" so i can see where your'e coming from. Other peoplz, your opinions are needed too!!!!

~Mist

mistysakura
30th August 2003, 09:50 PM
Lol, we'd better get the awards done before winter :D

Could you please clarify "If a fic is a year old then its old but if its not finished then its not old "? What if a fic's more than a year old but not finished? Does "a year old" mean a year since the first chapter or a year since the last chapter?

dratinihaunter13
31st August 2003, 04:22 AM
If a fic is not finished, it is not old. Even if it's been running for more than a year. And a year since the last chapter. We were so close to having all three mods in one chat, but before mist got there oz had to go, then I had to go. so close! we'll get the list nice and whittled down to the necessary before long.

mr_pikachu
31st August 2003, 01:33 PM
Troy, what "The Awards Award" is (I think) will be explained in just a sec. First, it is an automatic award. That means it is not voted upon, it is predetermined by something else. And what is that something else? Well, the person who got the most awards from the other categories gets the Awards Award. Automatically. And please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only speaking from what I gathered from people talking about last Winter's award ceremony. Please!

Troy - Rise and Fall
1st September 2003, 12:21 AM
Whee! Thanks Mr Pikachu! I think I got it though, even if that information is wrong, that sounds like a fun award ^__^. Thanks a lot for clarifying for me, sometimes I get stupid.

BTW: I think your nick rocks XD

- Troy

PancaKe
1st September 2003, 05:39 AM
Okay we're finalizing the list, we have a basic list but we're just waiting for Oz's opinion. So if you have any more new and origional suggestions that arent on the list on page 3 then hurry up and say so because you wont have much longer.

~Mist

Lady Vulpix
1st September 2003, 03:31 PM
My question is the following: will the Summer Awards take place during our summer, the North Hemisphere's summer, or neither of the two?

dratinihaunter13
1st September 2003, 04:07 PM
The summer awards have always taken place in the u.s.a's summer, and now that summer is almost over here in the states we really want to get the awards started asap. so expect the ceremonies to begin soon ^_^;

PancaKe
3rd September 2003, 02:03 AM
Summer Fanfic Awards - Nominations have started:

http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21929

Any more discussion can go there. No more suggestions will be taken, just try remember them to suggest for the Winter Awards.

This topic is CLOSED.

~Mist