PDA

View Full Version : Name the Awards!!!

dratinihaunter13
22nd October 2003, 03:35 AM
All right, we've gotten complaints from the southern hemisphere writers that Winter and Summer Awards are not universal enough, since that progression of seasons only works for the northern hemi people.

point taken, but then we need some good universal titles for the two ceremonies, one being around new year's, the other one in the june/july/august months. halfway through the year. at least those are the deadlines we'll try for. so if you have suggestions for naming these awards shows, plz share!

Mewfour
22nd October 2003, 03:38 PM
Actors have the Emmys, musicians have the Grammys, so why don't we have the Ficcys?

Iveechan
22nd October 2003, 03:43 PM
How about... round 1 and round 2, the winter one can be round 1 since it's closer to the beginning of the new year.

mr_pikachu
22nd October 2003, 11:16 PM
Hmm... the Semiannual Fanfic Awards, in general (if you're even looking for a new name for that).

And what if we rotate through the mods, or something? You know, like "The Fanfic Awards, hosted by Mist" or something like that? And once we run out of mods, we could have Gavin or CCC host them, or just cycle through again.

Thoughts, peoples?

dratinihaunter13
22nd October 2003, 11:55 PM
oo, hey i like the sound of the ficcys but can we use it for both times of the year? i suppose we could but then ficcys 2003 could be two different things and get confusing. that's my fave suggest so far though.

and it's easier to let the awards be ran by whoever CAN run them. if there's some kind of cycle one can probably expect an even longer delay for the awards, since only one person can do them that time and they may have something going on. i just think it'd be easier to keep playing it by ear like we have been. they get done ^_^.

classy_cat18
23rd October 2003, 01:59 AM
What about calling them the Ficcys (insert year here) Round One and Round Two? It's like saying "So I didn't win anything in Round One. Round Two, ding!"

PancaKe
23rd October 2003, 02:03 AM
I like the ficcys. Its cool! But the stars also have the Oscars. What if we named them like, two different names for two different awards or something. Like had one the Ficcies and had the other someting like ... the Tall tales. -.- bad example but u kno, have the Ficcies 1 at june and ficcies 2 at december.

~Mist

Dragonfree
23rd October 2003, 02:37 AM
The Ficcys and the Mistys? XD

dratinihaunter13
23rd October 2003, 05:11 AM
Could just be called the "January Ficcys" and the "July Ficcys".

since july means is during a break from school for a lot of us, and so is the beginning of january. keeping voting active while members are active.

Lady Vulpix
28th October 2003, 09:25 AM
That sounds ok. To the point, simple, short and sweet. :)

Craig
28th October 2003, 10:20 PM
We could rip off of pokemon

Red/Blue
Gold/Silver
Ruby/Sapphire

others

Day/Night
Fire/Water

just a few, imagine having the "Day fanfic awards" and the "night fanfic awards" :)

PancaKe
29th October 2003, 01:02 AM
-.- this is such a bad thing to steal from. At school *shudder* we call our exams n stuff "half yearlys" and "yearlys". Half yearly ficcies and yearly ficcys?

We're going to have to pic our favs soon and narrow down the list.

~Mist

Powarun
29th October 2003, 04:19 PM
The sunrise ficcy's and the sunset ficcy's,

Zee Sage
29th October 2003, 04:25 PM
How about the School Ficcies and the Summer Break Ficcies, you know winter is School time and July is non school, or summer break. :)

Andrew
29th October 2003, 05:11 PM
Powaran - Ug, not too fond of it...

And Zee Sage - You have Summer in the middle of the year, we southerners don't :P

I was thinking about the Golden Pens for Christmas / New Year and Shiny Pencil for the Mid Years. lol...

I also support ficcies

Lady Vulpix
30th October 2003, 10:24 AM
Golden pens and shiny pencils? It sounds weird since we type our fics on computer keyboards, but it's somewhat poetic.

How about the Mid-Year Ficcies and the New-Year Ficcies?

Powarun
30th October 2003, 10:46 AM
WEll I tired, just keep them as they are, sure the Lower part of teh world may disagree but keep tradition. Or you can piss off most of us and only created one award ceremony, and could just be called the awards for pokemon fanfics. or something like that.

And I knew mine sucked, I was sorta out of it at the time, with anger at Brit Chris's PC.

Lady Vulpix
30th October 2003, 12:53 PM
There's no up or down in space. Wether we're above you or below you depends on the position you ar in when you look. And since I assume you're on the surface of the Earth just as I am, all you can say is that we're on the South and you're on the North. Unless you're on, say, the Himalayas, in which case the rest of the world would be below you.

The Rusted One
30th October 2003, 09:01 PM
To take Mist's idea...what about "Midterms" or "midyears" for the...mid...year ones, and "Yearend" awards for...well, the end of the year awards? I prefer "Midterms" over "Midyears", but it really doesn't matter.

dratinihaunter13
31st October 2003, 03:37 AM
ugh, as a college student i completely disagree with the use of the word midterms as a happy awards ceremony >_<;;;;;.

lady vulpix's sound simple and fitting to me. The Mid-Year Ficcies and the New Year Ficcies. I like it!

The Rusted One
1st November 2003, 04:24 AM
Well, I'm a University student, too...I dunno, I like the name "Midterms", but of course I can see the problems. I just think it sounded better than "Midyears". But it's up to popular opinion - but I guess you could think of the fic-writing as the exam, and the award ceremony as passing your midterms? I dunno, bad analogy, but if you squint really hard it sort of fits.

Lady Vulpix
1st November 2003, 07:43 PM
As much as I LOVE writing, thinking of it as an exam would take a good part of the fun out of it.

Least of all a competitive exam, I hate those. People at university should encourage you to do your best, not to beat others. *Is still a bit annoyed at the 1st class assistant teacher contest in which she got the 22nd place and only the first 11 got the job.*
*Will keep doing her best as a 2nd class assistant teacher*
*And as a writer too, of course!* :D

PancaKe
3rd November 2003, 11:28 PM
Oz's idea gave me an idea. What about we have "Golden Ficcy's" and the "Shiny Ficcies" or insert any colors.

But we really should come to a decision, before the .... other fanfic awards.

these are the ideas so far:
- The Ficcies [which everybody seems to like]
- Ficcies Round 1 and Round 2
- January Ficcies and July Ficcies
- Rip off pokemon with Day/Night Ficcies etc
- Half yearly and yearly ficcies
- sunrise and sunset ficcies
- Golden Pens & Shiny Pencils
- Mid-Year and New-Year Ficcies
- Golden and Shiny Ficcies

Some of the suggestions have been left out of the list, but they were because there was a lot of disagreement to them, rather than a no comment or agreement.

Can you please choose your favourites out of the list so we can narrow it down and finally get one?

~Mist

The Rusted One
4th November 2003, 02:08 AM
Mid-Year and New Year, OR the Golden Pens and Shiny (Silver would be better...) Pencils. Yeah, I know, I'm indecisive, but add my vote to whichever of the two is more likely to win in the end.

Lady Vulpix
4th November 2003, 10:14 AM
Why not start a poll now that we have a fixed set of options?

PancaKe
8th November 2003, 03:29 AM
Good idea Gabbi. *makes poll*

~Mist

dratinihaunter13
8th November 2003, 07:39 PM
*closes*