PDA

View Full Version : When kids grow.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
6th January 2009, 09:18 AM
Hello, some of you may know me, other not. I've decided to rewrite and rework my fic, which I suppose I posted here before.

After reading Chris' article in the e-zine, I came to the conclusion that I loved trainer fics, as it's my only real passion in fanfiction. Perhaps I just like cliché stories and happy endings, but for whatever reason it is, I decided I should help getting them from underneath the dust.

I don't have a prologue, so this will be chapter one in it's whole.

I'm not a very expierenced writer, but I'd love if you guys could find the time and read through it and give me some constructive critism. I'd really like improve as a writer, seeing that english is my third language, but most of all I want another trainer fic up at TPM:)

It might take a while for the next two chapters, seeing as I have exams right now, but after that it should be ok.

Perhaps, you'll stick with me to the end, if I will get that far that is.

Enjoy.

When kids grow

Chapter 1
Death decision

"Matt, wake up! Is your stuff ready?" a strict, but sincere voice yelled. It was a blond-haired woman with a tender figure, dark eyes, somewhat wider bottom and was apparently the young man’s mother. As she called Matt, he slowly woke up with an irritated look on his face.

"Yes mom. I already did it yesterday!" Matt shouted, irritated that his pleasant sleep was already terminated.

Matt was a youngster who lived in Fortree city, and loved it. At the age of 15 he was finally allowed to begin his own pokemon journey, what was considered to be normal for a boy his age. He was getting started later than all of his friends, since they started at fourteen, but he didn’t care anymore today. His father is an overprotective parent, as is with many parents, but also rather strict so there was no chance of trying to persuade him. So as his friends left the previous year, Matt sobbed for a while but decided that there’s no point in being sad as his father already told him he could start the next year, when he was a bit older.

"Ok, then come down and eat something! A real trainer should eat a lot!" his mother shouted again, starting her usual pep talk again.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming…" Matt said still half asleep.

He left his room, descended the stairs, right into the kitchen, where his mother was already setting the table. He grabbed a slice of bread and started chewing on it, without his normal satisfaction of consuming food. He was a diehard food-fanatic, but hated breakfast, and especially bread.

"Dad will take you to Zuta. Pidgeot needs to get some fresh air and excercise anyway." his mother exclaimed with her usual jolly voice, that irritated Matt his early in the morning. He just felt like being quiet, and enjoying the silence.

Zuta was a region north of Hoenn and north-west of Johto. Unlike Kanto and Johto, where the weather was sunny and dry most of the time, Zuta had a more tropical climate. It was warm and sunnyl, but it also rained a lot, which made some pokemontrainers extremely happy. Swiftswim-trainers went to the region exclusively for training purposes only.

"Alright, should I take my cloud-goggles with me or not?" Matt asked his mother in a dull monotone voice.

"It won't be that necessary, but you can take them with you if you want" his mother replied focussing on the dinner table while passing the butter to Matt.

"Ok, I'll leave it at home then, I gave enough luggage as it is." Matt said, while thinking about the tons of stuff he had collected for his journey. It contained all sorts of books his mom bought (food primarily), some books on pokemon and gymleaders, that he had gotten from his father for his last birthday. His father had been a trainer as well, back in the old days, so he knew that some tips could make the difference between winning and losing.

"Matt, finish your meal, we're going to leave" a heavy, strict, yet gentle voice said. Standing in the doorway was Matt's father, who seemed more huge and wider because of the small size of the opening. When he came to the dinner table it appeared that he was actually a long and thin man, with brown, not brushed, ear-length hair and a smooth, pointy face.

"Ok, dad." Matt said. He left his slice of bread where it was, secretly happy that he could skip his breakfast today; this wasn't the time for eating. As he hugged his mother, more out of moral obligation than out of willingness, his dad took his backpack and already went outside in the garden. Matt took a glance at his father and quickly followed along.

When they got to a relatively open place his father took out a yellow, light-blue dotted pokeball and threw it at the ground. In a flash of light, a larger then normal Pidgeot appeared on the grassy floor, it spread it’s fabulous wings and growled, happy to be outside.

"A long flight will do you good, won't it?" Matt's father said to Pidgeot, while stroking its warm fur slowly. Pidgeot nodded calmly.

"Alrighty then," Matt's father was getting more enthusiastic "we're flying to Zuta. You know, where we entered that flying contest once… "Matt's father said, but lowered the volume of his voice a bit after reconsideration. Pidgeot lowered its head; showing a form of embarrassment.

"Ok, let's go!" Matt said thrilled, making sure this day wouldn’t be ruined by memories. This was his great day and he would not let it be spoiled, even though he could sympathize.

Matt's dad put on his cloud goggles, climbed on Pidgeot and reached out his hand to Matt. Matt grabbed it and settled himself on Pidgeot’s back, holding his arms tight around his father while clamping his feet behind Pidgeot’s wings.

As they rose up into the air, Pidgeot stroke his wings and flew up higher and higher, enjoying every minute of his flight. Matt was also excited, not by the flying part, but by the thought that he could finally begin his own pokemon journey after being set a year behind. The long wait had did some good after all, as he could now start in the Zuta region, while his friends are travelling in the Hoenn region. It also gave him a year extra preparation, to study up on pokemon and moves. He hoped that his might give him the advantage he needed to trump his friends eventually.

"Pidgeot! Extremespeed!" His father commanded with his strict, but steady voice. Matt gasped for air as they shot off at a dazzling speed. He had ridden many times on his father’s trusted Pidgeot, but could never get used to the thrill and shock every time Pidgeot started his Extremespeed-technique.

After flying about an hour and a half through clouds, trying to touch an Altaria's wing and being chased by a Fearow who had no change against the Pidgeot’s speed, Matt couldn't restrain himself anymore and shouted to his father.

"Dad, how long until we arrive in Zuta?" Matt asked, hoping for a good answer.

"With Pidgeot's Extremespeed, I say it will take about another half hour" His father replied with his usual calm voice.

"Well I can live with that." Matt replied, while he already saw a small island, followed by the sea as far as the eye could see.

After flying about another twenty minutes, he suddenly felt that Pidgeot was starting to descend. Matt enjoyed the wind going through his jet black hair that constantly blocked his eyesight. After getting rid of the hair problem for a while, Matt focused on the thought of seeing some pokemon. His focus soon shifted as he saw the outlines of a small city to the east of them.

“So, this is the place where you're big adventure is going to start." his father said with a smile that kind of pointing out that he would’ve wanted to start his own journey again. Matt really couldn’t help a little giggle.

This was Reeto city his father was talking about, the ‘starters-village’ of Zuta. Although people started their journeys everywhere, it was a common tradition to have at least one village that would be acknowledged as a place where beginning trainers could come and pick up their first pokemon. The four regions were actually very competitive, and although Zuta didn’t really have a Pallet or a Twinleaf town, they decided to stamp Reeto city with the starters-village etiquette. Even though it was marked as a city, it was actually quite small and quaint, and it had a specific professor to fit the description of a ‘starters-village’.

"It seems like it" Matt replied to his father’s nostalgic remark. He could’ve screamed if not for keeping up the show of his adult personality. Matt always tried to act older than he was, and although he had more knowledge than most of the teens that shared his age, he couldn’t help feeling young and inexperienced in comparison to his father, Winona the Fortree gymleader and all of his friends who already have one year of pokemon experience. Hopefully this journey of his could make up for that.

Matt’s father than patted Pidgeot on the back and it started to land slowly, but aiming for the right spot. Pidgeot landed before the biggest building in the town and as soon as Matt and his father got of his back, a young woman came walking out of the building. She looked about 25 years old, had blue curly hair, blue eyes, a nice figure and was wearing a lab coat. She was walking to our direction.

"Hi, you must be Matt, right?" The woman asked, while putting her hair in place, behind her shoulder.

"Yes, that's right, and who are you, if I may ask?" he said very polite. Although his parents taught him always to be polite, the main reason for his withheld attitude was not trying scare of the only person who greeted them.

"I'm professor Zue, an expert on happiness-based evolutions. I became interested in them when I was about ten years old, since love is an important factor in every…" She said, starting to brag about her history and job.

While Matt didn't find the patience or interest to listen to her, he started looking around to the nice little town, while his father was stuck listening to professor Zue. The town bared a resemblance to Pallet town. Although he had been there only once, he still remembered it. He smirked at the thought that the Zuta government probably took Pallet town as an example for maintaining this peaceful atmosphere. The quaintness of this town was really emphasized by it being surrounded by trees, and having only a few houses and the big building they landed in front. The absence of a pokemoncenter was remarkable.

"…ok that’s enough about me. Now, you tell me something about yourself." she said, actually quite demanding after finally putting an end to her, what seemed like an hour, rant.

Although Matt didn’t like her arrogant attitude it was a relief that she quit babbling, so he started talking if only to not let her have the word again. His father kind of took a mental break after the whole life story and sighed softly.

"I'm Matt and I’d like to start my pokemon journey, in order to become a trainer." he said plainly, actually keeping back his postponed enthusiasm.

"Oh dear, another one…" she said, not surprised by his answer as Matt looked at her with a confused look.

"What do you mean ’another one’?" he asked, being somewhat in a struggle deciding being either confused or angered. His look gave of the angered part, while his mind was kind of confused.

"No offense meant, but there are a lot of kids who wish to start their journey but very few of them actually become trainers, or at least decent ones." she replied, changing her voice from arrogant to doubtful.

"Oh I see" Matt said not trying to be reckless or offended by her lack in confidence in him. It was kind of demotivating to hear the low chances of success, but he quickly shrugged and started at her.

"Anyway, you can give it a shot if you want." she said while actually trying to oppress any form of interest, which was really strange for a professor who should be handing out starter pokemon to really enthusiastic kids, or adolescents in his case.

"Could you follow me?" she said turning her back to Matt.

While he slowly followed the professor, he began to realize that pokemon training would be harder than he imagined. He had read about all sorts of stuff, from breeding, to battling, even grooming and feeding, but living with pokemon is something that he can’t learn just by studying or reading. Matt's father made a start by withdrawing Pidgeot and Matt followed.

They walked to the big building, while rainclouds started to form and the first drops splattered on Matt’s black snickers. It kind of looked like an old radio tower from the outside. The stones looked like they had been here for over a century, the top windows were awfully filthy and it looked cold. Professor Zue made a ‘follow-me’ sign as she entered.

At least the inside looked a lot better then the outside. The place was actually huge. The main hall had portraits of famous researchers all over the wall and the right corner, what seemed to be a small place of worship, a statue of Pr. Oak was placed. It was surrounded by flowers and behind him hung all the different pokedex’ he had ever created.

"Wow, this place is huge!" Matt said, stating his thoughts out loud.

"Here we are." Professor Zue said, while guiding them to a mahogany door.
It was filled with small carved-in pokemon artwork. It had a medium-sized sign which read: 'Meeting room'

Pr. Zue opened the door and stepped inside, while she gestured to Matt and his father to follow her again. The Meeting room was actually just as Matt expected. It contained some couches, a strange device with contained three odd-coloured pokeballs, and a lot of artwork again, which made him wonder if professor Zue was an artist, or art collector.

"Well then, I bet you're dying to know what pokemon are in the pokeballs." Pr.Zue said to Matt, with a little hint of sarcasm, while showing him the three different kinds of pokeballs.

Matt took a stare at the balls which were located in the weird looking device which was completely made out of metal, followed by gold outlining and a glass dome on top of it. The right ball was completely dark and line that separated red from white on a regular pokeball was no line, but a crimson-coloured snake tongue. The ball on the left was greenish with the upper side in a darker green, which fit nicely in contrast with the lower’s side grass green colour. The ball in the middle was the most artistic one. The upper side was ocean blue with what seemed to be reflections of ice sculptures, while the bottom was plain white.

"This little fellow is Salaka" Pr.Zue said pointing at the dark pokeball.

She took it out of the device and threw it on the ground, releasing a dark skinned lizard with two red spots on its back. It hissed something upon seeing Matt and his father which revealed its split tongue.

"Salaka, is a Poison and Fire lizard hybrid who has the ability to poison foes on contact with its poisonous skin. Though the skin is normally only dangerous to humans, it can poison a pokemon aswell if Salaka is threatened, releasing venom out of the two spots on its back. It specializes in sneak attacks which normally can be described as badly poisoning the unaware foe with its venom while defending itself with distance attacks until its victim finally collapses of the deadly poison." Professor Zue exclaimed, talking about it as normally as drinking two cups of tea.

Matt swallowed when he heard the info and felt kind of scared. Thinking about how touching this would result in dangerous intoxication and death, didn’t really made him like this pokemon. He was wondering if there were any nice pokemon in the other two balls.

"The second one is Ducka" Pr. Zue said, not paying any attention to Matt's scared attitude.

She tossed the blue ball on the hard, cold ground as a weird looking duck appeared. Matt immediately thought that it was a psyduck, but after a five second study, realised that it didn’t have that dumb look on its face, or its hands on its head all the time. It actually looked the opposite of psyduck, with a determined look and sharp looking claws that seemed a bit to big for itss body, more like a golduck actually. The only thing that seemed out of place was the three black hairs that stood vertically on its head, giving it a somewhat comical touch. After another five second study Matt concluded that this pokemon seemed just as threatening as the other one.

"Ducka" she continued. "is an Ice/Water pokemon capable of cracking ice with its sharp beak. It specializes in close combat, but can fully exploit any special attacks as well. In the wild, this pokemon freezes its victim and the carefully chops them up with its razor sharp claws."

Matt frowned as he realised that getting cut to pieces isn’t any better than getting poisoned. He was starting to get his doubts about this whole journey thing, even though he wished for it all his life.

"And finally Cacta" She said releasing the last pokemon out of its green pokeball.

A small, green pokemon appeared. It didn’t have a separate head and torso, but instead had a round green ball as body, where the face was also located, similar to an Oddish or Elekid. It vaguely resembled a cactus, with stingers on its head, which seemed to form some sort of Mohawk. Its facial expression wasn’t very nice, which appeared to say something along the lines of ‘I pity the fool’. It also didn’t really seem to have hands, but boxing gloves instead; and after a further analysis which proved to be mushrooms.

"It is a grass/fighting pokemon of great endurance and spirit. It won't quit battling until it either faints or wins. The stingers on its head can be used to fire a Pin Missile at enemies, although not highly, these stingers are poisonous. It uses the mushroom like gloves to punch, as expected. Cacta's combat style isn't very different from a Hitmonchan, except that it can use the elemental power of its grass type to use spores as well." Pr.Zue said calmly in a steady monotone voice.

She made it clear that the introduction of the pokemon was finished by taking a deep breath and looking towards Matt with a stern look. Matt was kind of intimidated by the three pokemon that all seemed to be murdermachine’s.

"So, which one do you want?" she asked calmly awaiting Matt's answer.

"Do you mind if I take a while to think?" Matt asked the professor, doubting the pokemon and himself.

"No not at all, but I'll put the pokemon back in there balls, just for safety." She said while smiling at Matt.

He thought he could see somewhat of an evil, smirking smile behind her other smile when she said that.
Matt nodded as she put the pokemon back in their balls, then inviting Matt’s father for coffee in the lounge room. They both left, leaving Matt alone with his thoughts and three slightly strange pokemon enclosed in their pokeballs.

As the door shut, Matt was already pondering on his choice. He was thinking what pokemon would prove to be the one with the highest chance of survival. Not for them, but for himself, as they all looked dangerous. Salaka will poison him upon touching, Ducka could cut of his head and Cacta could go on a rampage and break every bone in his body. He swallowed again, thinking why he always has to think the worst of it in every situation. He took a piece of paper and a pen and started noting all the cons and pros of the pokemon, to make it somewhat easier, which was something he learned from his grandfather years ago.

"Well Jeff, what do you think the boy is going to do?" Pr.Zue asked Matt's father.

She gave a more interested look than she had given all day, except when she was talking about the killer instincts of her starter pokemon. Matt’s father was seriously wondering how she ever became an expert on happiness based evolutions. She didn’t really act love-able, in fact she got a kick of those dangerous specimens of pokemon she holds in her lab.

"I don't know.” Jeff replied, puzzling over the matter. “He actually looked scared of the pokemon when you first introduced them, perhaps you didn’t notice.”

"Oh" She said, looking rather confused. It was like she couldn’t get her head around someone not loving these cuties.

“I'm sure he will do a great job choosing, even though I don’t have much hope in young trainers, I can see that Matt is quite mature for his age, so he’ll make the right decision” Professor Zue said, suprisinly. “The key to the decision is their combat style” she continued. “They all have a unique way of battling. If he is indeed motivated and skilful enough to make it anywhere as a trainer, this is his first test, and his choice will decide a lot."

"What do you mean" Matt's father asked, not really grasping her explanation.

"Well, it depends on Matt’s intelligence and his own personal way of looking to battles. If he likes a direct assault, with some extras, he should pick the physical powerhorse Cacta. Salaka is something special though, it’s a species recently discovered. It has a natural ability to feel when a trainer is kind to it or not. If Matt likes it, and is worthy of training it, he won’t be poisoned by its skin.If he wants swift and effective moves he should take Ducka, who can combine physical and long distance fighting. This is probably the pokemon if he wants to experiment and have it all." She calmly explained to Matt's father while slurping away at her coffee.

"But that’s dangerous!" Jeff said getting into his overprotective state again.

"No, actually, it isn't." She said to Matt's father, shushing him. "In the end, Matt will choose the pokemon that he feels the most comfortable with and if it happens to be Salaka, then he will treat it with love and respect, even if it’s dangerous. Believe me, I’ve had years of experience."

As Jeff was about to protest about the possible death of his own son by the hands of one of her pokemon as they heard a voice shouting from the other room.

"Professor, I’ve made my decision!"

"You see" She said, smiling at Jeff. He was startled.

Shuppet Master
6th January 2009, 11:09 AM
Man, how did Zue become a Pokemon Professor? Sure, the fire Pokemon like Charmander are pretty dangerous, but they weren't intimidating!

Interesting story, even if it is riddled with grammar errors.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
6th January 2009, 11:19 AM
Interesting story, even if it is riddled with grammar errors.

Thank you. And yes I apologize for that, I should really find a solution for that..

Chris 2.1
6th January 2009, 12:29 PM
Very interesting work. As Shup said, there were grammatical and spelling errors, but getting a friend to proofread chapters for you can often help - you'd be surprised what you can miss out on.

But the story is interesting. I like the grouchy professor, I wonder if there's more to her cold demaneur? I'm also highly intrigued to see who Matt picks - I hope he picks the fire type, as the other two seem more based off current Pokemon.

Keep up the good work!

Lune the Guardian
6th January 2009, 02:52 PM
Hm. Good on you for sticking with something you believe in. I think clichés are overcriticized.

Quick question before beginning my wall of text... Are these pokémon real ones? I don't know any pokémon past the Ruby/Sapphire generation, so I don't recognize whether these ones are from the new generations, or if you made them yourself. Just curious.

I realize it may be difficult, but I think you'd really benefit more from trying to show rather than tell. For example, when you first introduce Zue, here:

"I'm professor Zue, an expert on happiness-based evolutions. I became interested in them when I was about ten years old, since love is an important factor in every…" She said, starting to brag about her history and job.

You tell me that she's bragging, but I don't buy it. The sentence reads normally to me. It just seems like she's providing information. She doesn't really seem arrogant or condescending, it's only because you told me in the story that I know she's supposed to be. The only part that remotely sounds like bragging in the sentence is "expert", but that's not necessarily bragging if it's a fact. I mean, I have Ph.D teachers in school who introduce themselves as "Doctors", that's just their title, they aren't bragging about it. You need to make Zue say something far more obviously egotistical for me to think that she's arrogant or bragging. Maybe include a few more sentences showing her praising her own achievements... I dunno.

I guess this sentence is a little better:

"Anyway, you can give it a shot if you want." she said while actually trying to oppress any form of interest, which was really strange for a professor who should be handing out starter pokemon to really enthusiastic kids, or adolescents in his case.

Here it seems more like she doesn't care either way. She still doesn't sound arrogant though, just indifferent, like she's assuming that the main character won't be able to compete. Her words agree with the text you attach at the back of her speech, I can believe that she's trying to sound discouraging.

Comparing her reaction to the dangerous pokémon versus Matt's and his father's reactions is good too. From that you can see that she's not disturbed by how potentially harmful the pokémon can be, so much so that she's not sensitive to Matt's initial fear or his father's worries.

Then at the end, when she's explaining how a good trainer will pick the most compatible pokémon as a partner, she doesn't sound arrogant or dangerous at all. She sounds knowledgeable and perhaps even rather agreeable.

What I'm trying to say is that action and speech should somehow match what the narrator is telling me about this character. This is not a case of a character saying one thing and meaning another, like in sarcasm, where the tone gives away the character's true meaning; or with a lying child, where body language might hint that the child is not telling the truth. It just seems to me that you're saying something about the character, but the actions and speech imply something unrelated.

Anyway, keep at it. I'm wondering which pokémon Matt chose.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
6th January 2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it a lot. I'll look into that whole proofreading thing.

Lune, you're right. I should really pay attention to such things in my next chapters. The problem is that I have her whole character worked out in my thoughts, and you guys don't. What I mean is that I kinda expect you to have the same information and impression that I have, which is impossible. I should really look into that. Thanks.

The pokemon are made up, and to feedback on Chris, these pokemon were 'invented' before the Ruby/saffire generation was even released, so resemblances to Breloom or Empoleon are a coincidence.

Thanks guys, honestly.

Shuppet Master
7th January 2009, 03:31 AM
Cacta does sound like an unholy love child of Cacturne and Breloom. Ducka sounds like a Psyduck with the same typing as Lapras with a meaner expression, and whatever that third guy is is completely fictional.

You invented these before the Advanced Generation came out? Interesting.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
7th January 2009, 05:55 AM
When I was about thirteen or fourteen years old yes. There are other fictional pokemon me, my brother and his friend inventeded when we were kids. The whole Zuta region is a mindscape of our childish fantasy, which I collected now to write this story. We'll see how far I get with those:)

Oakbark
10th January 2009, 09:59 AM
Hmm... interesting, at first I hated the idea of created pokemon, but I liked your ideas when you described them. I wonder if you ever drew sketches of your pokemon? I'd love to have a visual to go with the description - it'd make me feel alot more interested in these new species.

I can already picture Cacta, and to a lesser degree Salaka. Ducka sounds like a Psyduck that got stuck halfway when he tried to evolve into a Golduck!

Yep, if there's one thing I'd like you to improve on, it's probably the typos and grammar. Everybody makes them (i had to edit this post to correct an error :) ), and sometimes you'll miss them, but making sure it's correct will make for an easier read, and ultimately more readers. All suggestions previous are quite helpful too.

Good work, I'm interested to read more.

Damien.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
11th January 2009, 03:12 AM
Yeah, the fact that I'm not english (or american) by nature is something hard to overcome. If I find someone I should let them proofread my chapters.

I did drew them (evolutions included) years ago, but if I find time I'll make sprites for a visual. And about Ducka, it looks familiar to a psyduck/golduck, but its evolutions are quite different.

I'll write some more, and when I finish another chapter I'll post chapter 2.

Thanks for the feedback, honestly.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
8th February 2009, 11:06 AM
I would like to give my major thanks to Lady_Vulpix for proofreading this chapter. Thanks!

Chapter 2
Hit head on

Professor Zue and Matt’s father, Jeff, came walking back to the Meeting Room where they saw Matt sitting with a piece of paper scribbled with notes.

"Ok, we’re here. What have you decided?” the professor asked appearing from behind the door. Professor Zue and Matt’s father both seemed very curious, which was not normal for the professor.

"After heavy consideration and some further analysis I’ve decided to take Salaka.” Matt explained. “I’m not into the whole heavy pounding, kicking and cutting thing for now, so Salaka seems the most ideal choice. Plus, it looks cool.”

He grinned, but also realised that this was his decision. After all those years, wondering what his pokemon will be, he had finally chosen. It’ll determine a great deal of his career as a pokemon trainer. Meanwhile Matt was oblivious to the understanding nod his father gave professor Zue, which she simply returned with a vague smile.

"Great" she said shaking Matt out of his thoughts. "It’s a good choice even if I say so myself. In my whole career here as a professor in Reeto City only two other people have chosen a Salaka as their companion. It’s a good pokemon, but it’ll take a while for you to get used to it."

Matt said nothing, he just nodded. He was surprised about the number she’d just gave him. Was it really such a hard pokemon to communicate with? He had his doubts after hearing this, but remained happy with his choice.

"Could you follow me please? We need to get your trainer equipment" Prof. Zue said as she made a sign to follow her again, while she picked up Salaka’s pokeball and put it in one of the pockets of her lab coat.

As they left the Meeting room Matt took one last glimpse at the balls in front of him, and at the pokemon he hadn’t choose, hoping that he had made the right choice. They proceeded by walking through the beautiful hall again and Matt wondered why Professor Oak was the only one with a statue. He kept thinking and scouting around until they stopped at another mahogany door. It had the same pokemon-carvings and a similar sign on it, but this one read ‘Trainer Room’.

Professor Zue opened the door and led them inside. Matt’s eyes went big when he saw thousands of pokeballs, from pokeball to ultraball, some custom balls made by Kurt, or so he believed; and some strange ones he had never seen before. He figured that most of them were probably from trainers who had more than six pokemon and couldn’t have any more with them. His theory seemed to be correct as he noticed different names above each shelf.

In the right corner of the room was a black, iron door. They went through it and found four big tables, each with different compartments. The whole room was filled with various items, some nicely stored, some tossed around. Matt started thinking that they had more stuff and items here then in the Trainers Market in Lilycove, which he had visited with his family four years ago.

"This here is the place were every newbie gets his or her equipment." Prof. Zue said." Trainers who started here in Reeto City can also come here for extra items, with payment that is.”

She went over to the table on her left.

“This here will be your most important device. It's called a Pokétech and it records all data on pokemon you’ve seen or caught. It also contains a Pokedex, version 5.1. Don’t forget to upgrade to version 5.2 in October, but I’ll remind you about it again then." She said explaining the functions of the Pokétech.

The fact that she said October made Matt aware of time and place. He had almost forgotten that it was only June and that he’d be away for a long time, on his own. He was thrilled about the prospect, but was also a bit uneasy, since he didn’t know what to expect or where he’d end up.

"The poketech allows you to check the gender, level, type, evolution forms and breeding moves of a pokemon. It also displays pictures of several known shiny forms and an explanation about the pokemon you’re scanning. This is basically what the old Pokédex did with some extras. Pokétech also contains a Pokenav, which can store phone numbers and includes maps of Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Zuta, Sinnoh, Orré and Teraho,” Professor Zue continued.

“It also has plenty of other uses, but you’ll have to figure that out on your own,” She said with a smile, handing it over to Matt.

"Thanks,” He replied honestly.

It was the greatest gift he had ever received until now, except for his pokemon, who he was dying to meet.

"Well then, let's get to the next table, shall we?" she proposed. Matt nodded and followed her.

The next table was by far the largest of the four and contained about a dozen metal boxes which appeared to be welded to the table. Each box contained minimized pokeballs in different colours. Jeff eyed this with a silent, yet intrigued look.

"I’ll give you the basic pokeball kit here. Three pokeballs, one greatball, one lureball, and a skyball,” Professor Zue exclaimed while handing them over, checking a list to make sure she had given everything.

"Thanks, but I’ve have never heard of a lure or skyball before" Matt said looking at the light yellow ball covered with blue spots shaped like a cloud. “As the name states, I assume that they are for flying and rare pokemon, respectively?”

"Well, sort of. The skyball is for flying pokemon indeed, but you also get a catch bonus on dragon-typed pokemon. The lureball however isn’t to lure rare pokemon. It’s has a catch bonus on pokemon who are hauled in with a fishing rod," She clarified with a faint smile.

She suggested that they follow her as they walked to the third table. When they arrived at the medium-sized table Matt saw cube-like machines, about the size of a lunchbox, and funny looking miniature bottles, also in a whole spectrum of different colours.

"Here, this one’s yours," she said while giving Matt a brown version of the strange cube-machine.

“What does it do?” asked Matt’s father, staring at the thing just as puzzled as Matt.

"It's a TMBox. You can select any TM you bought or received with the touchpad, then press the red button and one of those bottles will come out," she demonstrated.

She pressed the red button after using the touchpad, but no bottle appeared. Which made perfect sense seeing that Matt didn’t have any TM’s stored at that point, but Matt still looked puzzled.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you, here in the Zuta region TM's are bottled. After years of scientific research, the research and development building in Siance city came out with a report that the effectiveness of the moves will increase if the TM is mixed with the pokemon’s food. So you open the bottle, which contains the chemical structure of the Technical Machine, you mix it with the food of pokemon, let him eat it and train on that specific technique for a while. Depending on the move you wish to teach, the training period should be between two hours and half a day," She elaborated after seeing Matt’s unsettled look.

"Oh, that’s actually quite astonishing,” Matt said in admiration.

"It took about ten years of research before the prototype was finally released, so they’ve prepared well,” Professor Zue proudly told Matt. “Oh, and by pressing the green button you can shrink the machine so that it fits your backpack.”

She pressed the green button as an example and it shrunk from lunchbox-like size to the size of a double-cd.

"Hey, that’s great. Is there anything else I should get?” Matt said, thankful, but eager to get his pokemon and leave this strange woman.

"Yes, here take this,” Professor Zue said while handing a Potion-spray and a bag of food. “The spray contains thirty sprays and the food is for Salaka. It’s a start, but you’ll have to win matches in order to get some money for other needs.”

Matt accepted the equipment and put it on the floor with the rest as he eyed the fourth table.

"Ah yes, the last thing you need to do is get a trainer card. We wouldn’t want you to be an unofficial trainer, now wouldn’t we?" She said joking, but it didn’t really seem to suit her.

Matt followed the professor to the fourth table, which was small compared to the others. It had a photo camera, a Polaroid to be exactly, a pen, some sort of form and one weird metallic, prehistoric computer-like thingy on it. Matt frowned when he saw the ancient device, but then giggled at the irony of such a device in a high-tech lab. While he was occupied with his inner-self, Professor Zue took the camera and in a flash Matt’s picture came out of the Polaroid.

"Oh great, now I look like a moron…" Matt said, realising that she took the picture when he wasn’t ready for it.

"Oh, don't be such a baby; everyone looks ridiculous on their trainer card," She hushed Matt. “Now write down your personal information on the form in front of you.”

Matt glared at her and then shrugged, filling in the form. Meanwhile, the professor entered the picture in the medieval machine and after Matt finished writing, the form as well. After some crackly noises, a few beeps and a ‘ping’, Matt’s trainer card rolled out. He accepted it from Professor Zue and saw that it contained nothing more than his name, last name, IDnumber, Professor Zue’s acceptance seal and the lousy snapshot.

"Well that’s it, you’re set for action,” she said to him, eying him in a strange kind of way. “and here’s your pokemon, at last.”

Matt longed for that moment, as she gave him the black pokeball that seemed even more beautiful from up close.

"Go Salaka, come out!" Matt said, again trying to conceal his major enthusiasm.

The ball bounced on the floor, into the air and in a white flash the lizard pokemon appeared and stared at Matt. Matt fell kinda uncomfortable and hoped that the creature wouldn’t poison him right now. Salaka hissed something, looked closer at Matt and then put up some sort of smile while withdrawing its split tongue. Matt's father, who had been silent all this time, sighed out of relief and smiled watching his son. Matt watched Salaka and went closer after seeing somewhat of a smile, so he thought it was safe for now. He wanted to pat it on the head when he suddenly remembered the info Professor Zue had given him in the meeting room.

"Euhm…professor, how can I touch him, I mean her, I mean…what gender is Salaka anyway?" Matt asked confused.

“Use your gear,” She replied, when the strange smile had made room for her usual uninterested expression.

Matt grabbed his Pokétech from his pile of equipment and pointed it at Salaka. It made a little beep sound and the info began to appear on the screen in shiny blue letters.

Salaka

Type: Fire/Poison
Level: 5
Breeding moves: 0

It has the inborn ability of Poison Skin. There’s a 30% chance that the opponent will be poisoned if he makes contact with Salaka's skin.

Salaka: The lizard pokemon. Its skin is poisonous to everyone it doesn't trust. It has the ability to poison the foe at contact. The circles on its back glow a deep red when it’s about to spit fire.

"So I didn’t tell you at first hand, but now your Tech did it for you. You can touch him if he trusts you, and since he withdrew his tongue, it means he does," She said forming a forced smile, while looking at Matt's father giving another nod.

“That’s great!” Matt exclaimed, happy that he could at least pet his newly obtained pokemon.

He went closer and patted it on the head. Salaka formed its vague smile again, which reminded him of Professor Zue, and it happily spit some fire.

"So now you’re completely set to go," Zue stated.

They left the trainer room and went down the hall again. Matt took one last glance at the Oak-statue and then Professor Zue guided them to the exit.

“The Zuta region is tropical, but harsh, and that goes for the trainers as well. You’ll meet plenty of them on the road, so be careful. If you want to reach me, my phone number is stored in the Tech, should there be any problems. Otherwise I’ll just wish you good luck, you’ll need it,” She said, quite harshly.

"Well, thanks," Matt said politely.

Zue said her goodbyes to Matt’s father and then went inside again as another rainstorm was about to commence, or so she believed. Matt and his father walked to the same spot where Pidgeot landed on arrival. It seemed like ages ago.

"Well Matt, I'll be leaving then," his father said while releasing Pidgeot. It spread its wings and started flapping.

"Ok dad, thanks for the ride and I hope you’ll win the next flying contest," Matt said. He wasn’t about to get emotional, he was far too stubborn for that, but he wanted to say something.

"Yeah, I hope so too, but anyway: behave, train hard, be nice to your pokemon and win if you can," his father replied giving Matt the usual pep talk any father would give.

"Thanks dad, see ya!" he said as he was about to leave and Pidgeot started flying.

"Hey, wait!" Matt shouted. "How am I supposed to buy food if I don't have any money?"

"Sorry, forgot, here's 6000,” Jeff replied as Pidgeot landed again. “It's not much but it's something, you’ll have to earn the rest yourself,”

He gave a pouch to Matt with the money, held on to his hand for a minute, and then winked.

"See ya,” His father waved as he took off on Pidgeot. It was eager to fly again.

Matt could hear his father yell 'Extremespeed' from a distance. He would really miss his old man.

"So, now I'm on my own then." Matt said out loud.

"Come out, Salaka!" he shouted as he released him from its ball. He could use a companion.

Salaka appeared and started hissing again. He seemed rather pleased about going back into nature.

"You're in a good mood. I hope you’ll put up a decent fight for me," Matt said to his precious reptile. “Now, let’s get going shall we?”

So they commenced the journey Matt had been waiting for all his life. They walked through Reeto city, watched the scenery, frowned when an old lady was shouting at a sleeping Snorlax that had apparently eaten her flowers and laughed at two fighting Caterpie, who were both trying to win in a Stringshot-battle. As they reached the city borders, a black forest stood in front of them. Matt looked down to Salaka and it appeared as if it was tired out, probably because of its short legs.

"Salaka, you seem kind of tired. I think you’d better rest a bit for now; return," Matt said while he hit it with the laser beam from its pokeball. Salaka nodded as it was absorbed and Matt was pleased with his choice and partner.

"Well, let's see…what will my first destination be?" He asked himself while taking out his Tech.

Its red, silver colour shone bright in the afternoon sun. Matt pondered over the device for a while and started searching the Nav-fuction for a good Zuta map. After getting stuck on an Alpha ruins map, he finally found the correct map and pressed the blue button. The screen started glowing in a blue-ish light as a green and yellow map formed on the screen with red dots, resembling the cities and towns.

"Treetop city eh. North, then west, then north again…” Matt spoke out loud. “That shouldn’t be that hard.”

Matt headed north as planned, through the forest he halted for just a minute ago, and enjoyed the nature of the forest. It kind of resembled a tropical rainforest with its wide variety of vegetation and pokemon. He saw 2 Mankey getting into a friendly brawl and was eager to catch one, but realized that Salaka needed his rest so he skipped the capture and went on, deeper into the forest. He walked on the sandy dirt path, hoping he was going the right direction and saw some more pokemon, which none of them really caught Matt’s interest.

Suddenly out of nowhere a Pidgey smashed right into Matt’s stomach, which made him topple over, hitting his head on a rock. He got back up and grunted in pain as he looked at the Pidgey, which was apparently knocked out. Meanwhile, a young man arrived at the scene.

Lune the Guardian
8th February 2009, 01:24 PM
Oh, I liked this chapter ^_^ I'm so glad he chose Salaka, I was hoping he would. Seemed like the coolest one to me, I would have done the same :D Salaka's poison - evade - wear the opponent down fighting style was one of my strategies when I still played ASB, if I had a difficult matchup power-wise.

I think it's cute how Matt and Salaka got along initially, and how he let Salaka rest even though he was really excited about catching the Mankey.

Oh, the way you explained TM learning was totally cool. I really liked how you put some logical explanation there.

As for the Pidgey, I guess that belonged to the newly-arrived trainer. I hope that Matt doesn't have to battle the guy since he's letting Salaka rest =/ That would totally devoid his decision of skipping the Mankey earlier. Though I think it's hilarious that bumping into Matt knocked the Pidgey out... XD Kind of gives me the feeling that this new trainer, if he's a trainer at all, is gonna be comic relief. Lol. Maybe he's on an errand and he'll travel together with Matt? Who knows.

Keep up the good work. :)

MeLoVeGhOsTs
8th February 2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

The new trainer will be announced in the next chapter, so you'll just have to wait:)

PancaKe
4th March 2009, 08:51 PM
I'm guessing this new trainer helps Matt and they make friends and continue on the journey together. Although my sick sick mind is hoping that Matt gets robbed and the new guy takes the 6000 and leaves Matt stranded with no money or maybe no pokemon even! Hmm

Maybe I'm just evil.

It'd be interesting to read. As if you carry around $6000 anyway. Wouldn't you have a credit card or a bank account card?

I am really really liking this. It's like the comeback of the trainer fic today!

MeLoVeGhOsTs
5th March 2009, 02:13 AM
Those are interesting speculations. This fic is not that evil in the start, so THAT won't be happening.. for now:)

Chris 2.1
8th March 2009, 07:50 AM
Just read the second chapter. Great work, I'm glad he picked Salaka. I'm really interested to see what the world is like in your fic - Treetop town reminds me of Fortree, so maybe a flying or grass type gym? I don't think flying types would fare well against Salaka - one divebomb and they're poisoned!

I can't wait for Matt's team to develop and evolve. See you next chapter!

MeLoVeGhOsTs
8th March 2009, 08:14 AM
Yeah, well Treetop was brain-born before RSE, but yeah it's similiar. It is however, completely different. Strange? Yes.

I will try and write in detail how the world is like, but I can't garantee that you'll visualize it in same way that I do.

Thanks for replying!

Next chapter will be posted in about a week I think. Sorry for the slow ride.

Chris 2.1
11th March 2009, 05:29 PM
Slow can be good. Give people like me a chance to catch up :) The last TPML chap took about 5 months!