PDA

View Full Version : Calling all critics! *ANNOUNCEMENT*

Gavin Luper
3rd April 2004, 12:01 AM
*ahem*

HUZZAH!

The Fanfic Reviewer Organisation is coming back to TPM very soon. It's the thread in which all writers on TPM can get their fics rated, reviewed and generally criticised.

However, before we can get cranked up once again - the organisation needs raters! Anybody here can be a fanfic rater if they like, all you have to do is post in this thread to register your interest, and I'll get back to you all as the Rating Topic posting draws near.

Stay tuned people! Any questions, feel free to ask them here.

Cheers!

Chris 2.1
3rd April 2004, 04:26 AM
Great to see V.3 back^^

Umm well I got a question. Can you be a rater, AND rate fics? Cuz i'd like my work rated, and I'm sure I can rate other peoples fics, so long as theyre by board members I can't be biased with.

If that's a yes, then count me in :yes:

mr_pikachu
3rd April 2004, 06:41 AM
I can rate most of the time, but I may not be able to do as much during the schoolyear. I'd like to be a part of the team, though, since I am on quite a bit most of the time. I won't be able to do much immediately, but as soon as school ends, I'll be on the job.

Question, though: Will the list of fics to be reviewed be transferred over to the new organization? I waited a long time to have everyone laugh at my first fic... :D

Darien Shields
3rd April 2004, 11:56 AM
Do I have to take the test again ^_^; ? Well, if I have to I will, because, y'know, I wanna be back in and all.

As for the questions, well, I've got no more official voice than you guys, but common sense would dicate answers; 1: I don't see why you couldn't have your fics rated if you were a member, but I wouldn't hold my breath if you expected priority ^_~ 2: Considering that the old list is pretty long and obsolete (so many fics that have probably died off by now) it almost definately won't be transfered. I dunno though, maybe it'd be an idea to dig it up and give those authors a little priority since they got left in the dark last time. Just a thought.

Hahah! The FFRO will be back and better 'dan ever! Woo! And if anyone says "Fan Fic Reviewer Organization" I'll keel-haul them. So be warned...

Gavin Luper
4th April 2004, 07:00 AM
Excellent, three interested people! I'll get in touch with you guys soon. As for the questions ...

Brit Chris: Yep, if you're a rater, you can have your fics rated by someone else, no problem there at all.

mr_pikachu: Nope, the list from the old version is officially null and void. Basically, it was so clogged up and messy that it became a total nightmare, so we'll be starting afresh when the new version opens up.

Darien: Thanks mate. Um, well ... you might as well take the test again I suppose, there's no doubt you'll be ok, but just to put everyone else on the same par, take the test again when I organize one!

Cheers guys!

Shadow Djinn
4th April 2004, 12:32 PM
Well, I was a rater last time...So I'll do the test and whatnot. ^_^ Though during this time of year I'll only manage about a review or month, due to March being the time where teachers load up RIGHT before SAT. :/

mistysakura
5th April 2004, 12:35 AM
Yep, I'm interested. Sometimes I might seem a bit inactive, but normally I'm on almost every day. Test? fun! ;)

Gavin Luper
9th April 2004, 11:11 PM
Shadow Djinn: No problem about not being on all the time, we'll manage. I'll sign you up for the "test" then.

mistysakura: Hi! Great, I'll sign you up too, then! And no matter how inactive you are, I'm worse so don't worry.

Cheers!

The Decapitated Mole
10th April 2004, 09:13 AM
I might as well give it a try, if it's OK. I may not post a lot, but that's because I usually just sit and read [or listen to] what's going on. I'm the same way in real life. So I'll take the test, I suppose. I'm on at least twice a day every day, and I'd like to have something to do around here, so meh. I'll join up.

o_0
jimm

Tainted
10th April 2004, 09:58 AM
I'd be glad to review stories for people, but I'd prefer if the majority that I review were non-pokemon... I just have a growing disposition of lament for anything pokemon related.

But fantasy, science-fiction-- whatever, no matter how half-assed or boring, I will read and continue to read.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

Darien Shields
10th April 2004, 11:38 AM
Even Yu-Gi-Oh? ^_^

Muahaahhaha...

Nefarious
10th April 2004, 03:01 PM
I'd be interested, however I would like to only rate Pokemon fics. If you deperately want someone to rate a sci-fi fic or something, fine, but I don't want any Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, or anything else. I'm not a fan of that other stuff, so my rating would most likely be biased.

Tainted
10th April 2004, 03:30 PM
Even Yu-Gi-Oh? ^_^

Muahaahhaha...

No.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

Pichu Luver
10th April 2004, 08:29 PM
I'll rate fics, the more the merrier! Right? Lol. Guess I'll have to take that test. ^^''' I may not post much anymore but I still read, I'm usually here (not generally logged-in) everyday. I'm not particularly biased towards any topic, I just might not know to much about certain things . . . I'm just not as interested in some topics, but I'm not against them.

~Pichu

Darien Shields
10th April 2004, 08:41 PM
Nice to see not everyone's treating it like a Pick and Mix Pichu Lover.

Erm, how many more people have to sign up before we get a test?

Gavin Luper
11th April 2004, 04:30 AM
Well, we've had a lot of interest so far. The people interested are:

1. Brit Chris
2. mr_pikachu
3. Darien Shields
4. Shadow Djinn
5. mistysakura
6. The Decapitated Mole
7. Skullfire
8. Nefarious
9. Pichu Luver

Which looks pretty promising; ten potential reviewers, including myself as one already.

Now, regarding the test ... more or less, it will be a practice review of a chosen fic. I'll PM all of you the instructions in the coming week and the test will be due in at a certain time. Now, I have to add here that not everyone is guaranteed to get in, but I'm sure most, if not all of you, will. When I read them I will be on the lookout for how good a reviewer each of you are and mark them accordingly. Once the tests are done, I'll be PMing you back your results.

And I also have to add, it seems that people think I'm going to be dishing out who rates what; this isn't true. There will be a compilation of fics to be reviewed, and the raters will choose one they want to review.

Cheers! Any more questions, please ask!

Darien Shields
11th April 2004, 08:34 AM
Will we be PMing you back the Review or posting it here?

Gavin Luper
12th April 2004, 03:24 AM
Definitely PMing. But I'll let you all know as the time draws near. In the meantime, are there any more interested people?

Whisper in the Wind
12th April 2004, 03:51 AM
Well, it would be great to get my fic reviewed, so put me on the review list when your org gets going again

Gavin Luper
12th April 2004, 04:53 AM
We're not asking for fics to be submitted yet, this is a completely separate topic, so you'll have to wait until we get going again onimusha.

PancaKe
22nd April 2004, 07:58 AM
Hmm... any more room? Feel like doing a bit of fanfic rating. :P

**PancaKe||

Darien Shields
22nd April 2004, 10:11 AM
I don't know if you've PMed the challenges- err, tests, yet, but my Inbox was pretty clogged what with the new limits (ARGH!) and I only just cleared it a few days ago (that said, I have 19 of 20... more cleaning required), so if you tried to PM me during that time, you wouldn't have had much luck. Urm, if you're PMing 9 people (or more) and expecting 9 replies, you'll have to have a big space in 'yon inbox (unless you've got Mod status.) Well, anyway, long story short, you can PM me now, if you tried before.

The Decapitated Mole
22nd April 2004, 03:17 PM
Yeah... I had the same problem [48 messages], but according to mr_pikachu [who was uber-helpphul] the test thing hasn't been sent yet. [also, I noticed that Gavin's PM box is full. You might want to check that out]

o_0
jimm

Gavin Luper
22nd April 2004, 10:14 PM
No, I haven't sent the tests out yet, partially because they aren't ready and also because my PM box had 52 messages in it, so I had to clean it out ... I still have 28, so I need a heap more cleaning time.

I'll notify you in this thread once I DO send the test, though, so there's no confusion. Also, Tara, I'll sign you up as well, thanks for comnig on board :D

Tests soon! In the meantime, you guys might want to look at the old thread (page 2 or 3 or 4 by now) to get ideas of how to rate the practice fic.

Cheers!

-Gavin.

AbareMax
23rd April 2004, 03:28 PM
Hey, whatever you need me to do, I'll do it. I'd love to rate fics for people. Let me know...

Abare Max

Gavin Luper
24th April 2004, 12:21 AM
All right ... we've got 12 potential reviewers now, which is great. I'll be sending the test out quite soon via PM, so please clean out your inbox guys!

Cheers!

Dragonfree
24th April 2004, 07:36 AM
I'd love to review, I'm very good at ranting, picking at things, giving constructive critism, that deal... but I'm rubbish at turning that into numbers. >.<;;; So I guess I can't really be a part of the reviewer crew, sadly.

However, if I may make a suggestion, after looking at the old topic: I really think characters should matter at least a bit more than spelling and grammar do each. If spelling and grammar make ten points each, I seriously think characters should make at least 15 if not 20. Of course, it's completely up to you, but I'm just making a suggestion - while horrible spelling and grammar are tedious to read, think the other way. Having good spelling and grammar doesn't make a fic good, and seeing as if everything else was completely lousy, they combined will give you two, it's a bit odd. At least fantastic characters do give it worth.

*tries to hide the fact that a great deal of the reason she posted this is because her own greatest strength in writing are characters, but doesn't really succeed*

No, really. I still mean what I said.

Linc
24th April 2004, 08:58 AM
I like to be a critic so count me in! Yay Critics! :lol:

Chris 2.1
24th April 2004, 02:11 PM
Hmm, Dragonfree I can see where you're coming from, but in all fairness someone who is worse at character descriptions, but with impeccable grammar and punctuality will do worse off because character counts for so much more. I think having even catagories can ensure your strengths and weaknesses in writing can even out.

Dragonfree
24th April 2004, 02:19 PM
*Still believes spelling and grammar shouldn't matter as much as the rest*

Maybe they should make five points each, and the rest could be even?

mistysakura
24th April 2004, 10:50 PM
Hmm... I think 5 for spelling and grammar each would be fair, perhaps putting the leftover points into Characterization and/or Overall Appreciation?

mr_pikachu
27th April 2004, 12:53 AM
From what I've seen in the past, each reviewer is free to implement his/her own desired rating scale. That's why Gavin told us to get ideas; we don't all have to use the same system. I'm still tweaking mine, so I'm sort of glad the test isn't quite out yet.

Anyway, I'm (pretty much) ready when everyone else is. Fire away, Gavin! :wave:

Gavin Luper
27th April 2004, 05:04 AM
Mr pikachu: Um ... no, actually, that's completely wrong. The idea is that everyone uses the same scale, and all the raters are fair judges, so that all people's stories are given a fair go and are rated evenly. So yeah, the scale remains the same across the board. I just told you to look at the old topic so you know what to expect. The rating scale is UNIFORM.

As to the character weighting vs. spelling&grammar, I have to agree with Dragonfree and Ada, too. I've been thinking for a while that it was wrong that characterisation counted for so little, as it is the most important element in any fic.

I'll be reviewing the rating scale, no worries about that.

Ok, so ... people to be PMed with a test are:

1. Brit Chris
2. mr_pikachu
3. Darien Shields
4. Shadow Djinn
5. mistysakura
6. The Decapitated Mole
7. Skullfire
8. Nefarious
9. Pichu Luver
10. Pancake (awesome nick!)
11. AbareMax
12. Dragon Rider

Plus me...

13. Gavin Luper

Dragonfree, are you sure you don't wanna take the test? Just in case? ...

So, that's looking great. I just want to warn everyone that in the event of me being flooded with tests - as it looks like will happen - some people might not be 'accepted'. If there's too many submissions - or the test is really not that great - well, you'll fail, basically. But I'm sure everyone will do fine when I send them out.

Currently plotting the test :eek: mwahaha!

Lol cheers!

Darien Shields
27th April 2004, 07:20 AM
Wait... so if we don't get out submission in before your inbox fills up we're out?

*holds a magnum (As in pistol, six shooter, not ice cream.) to his face*
Quick Draw!

Dragonfree
27th April 2004, 09:29 AM
Hmmm... maybe I'll have a try... I enjoy reviewing, just not the number part... >.<

I know a pretty good rating scale, actually (created by Obsidian Blade, unless she got it from somewhere else too). The total points are 200, not 100, though. Here it is, a copy-and-paste from Obby's post at another forum...

Characterisation (/20): how believable your characters are or how unique they seem. Did they keep the same personality all the way through? If they didn’t, do you have reason? If you made one of your characters seem like nothing more than cardboard for a few chapters that will show up here as well, along with any other comments a reviewer might have.

Plot (/20): did it twist? Did it turn? Did it lead the reader on and keep them on the edges of their seats or did it just make them feel like they were a year one reading a picture book? Was everything explained (if the fiction is unfinished, have there been many plot holes so far? Many possible twists made visible?) or did the author leave so many loose ends that their fiction seems made up of them? This is where you’ll find out if your plot works or not.

Spelling (/10): Everyone knows I’m obsessed with it, but I concede that it’s not quite as important as a good plot or believable characters… just so long as it isn’t mistake riddled. So that’s why this section and the grammar section together are for 20 points, rather than 20 each (and I need to make these add up to two hundred!). Anyway, in this area you’ll be rated on your spelling. Did you quite happily write it out and send it, without ever touching that spellchecker? Or was your fiction almost perfect aside from a few minor mistakes that you managed to miss even with you nitpicking your work down to nothing? I know I’m likely to use examples from the fiction here but it’s up to the other reviewers what they do.

Grammar (/10): It’s different from spelling so don’t get the two mixed up. Here you’ll find out whether you’ve mastered the comma and learnt where to avoid apostrophes rather than sticking them in everywhere (the character’s assembled on the top of the hill’s will get you skinned alive).

Chapter interest (/20): Did you have too many cliff-hangers (Obsidian winces)? Did you never manage to get a chapter longer than half a page long? Did each chapter carry interest of its own? That sort of stuff will be reviewed here.

Surroundings (/15): How well did you tell the reader where they were? If your characters are always hanging out in the white space of no description or never use their wonderfully created environment (tripping over things, falling into things, skirting around objects blocking their path etc.) you may score low here.

Style (/20): Just your overall use of wording etc. Some people might enjoy moving sentences down onto different lines to build up suspense while still others may like adding a sense of mystery by using flashbacks etc. This is somewhat opinionated though, so if a reviewer seems a little harsh just remember that.

Originality (/20): Used before? As new as you can get in the world of Pokèmon fanfiction?

Layout (/15): Easy to read or an absolute eyesore? Could do with more spacing or so spaced out it must be on drugs?

Achievement (/20): If it was meant to be romantic did it do that effectively? If it was meant to be suspense, action, horror, angst, dark, adventure, ANYTHING did it make that grade? Find out here!

Overall enjoyment (/30): Well, was your fiction good? Did the reader enjoy it or despise every single minute, you fool?

Final score: /200
_ _ %

Of course, just a suggestion... but it seems pretty fair as far as I can see...

mr_pikachu
28th April 2004, 12:17 AM
...Ohhhh, I get it now. Sorry 'bout that; brain lapse there, I guess. I always wondered why no one varied from the usual scale... I assumed it was out of courtesy. But yeah, that definitely makes more sense. *wrenches foot from jaws*

Anyway, I'm pretty much okay with whatever you guys agree on, as long as it's reasonable. (I love good spelling as much as the next guy, but 95% of the grade being based on it would be just a tad outlandish.) So far, I have to say I agree with the spelling and grammar reduction thing; after all, publishing companies have editors for a reason, and I've still seen typos and misspellings in big-time books. (Just bought a programming book the other day with that problem...)

Well, you pretty much know where I stand on it. I'll look forward to the test, whenever you can get that out, Gavin. Thanks! :wave:

P.S. Is the test going to be, say, reviewing a fic already on the boards, or you creating a piece for evaluation, or just questions to be answered? Just curious. ;)

Team Rocket's Lugia
28th April 2004, 06:16 AM
Oh, okay, that 200 rating system is good, better than the old one.
Can I still get one of those tests? I like rating fics, but I'm sometimes lazy, so maybe the thread would pull me out of laziness. BTW, I only read Pokemon fics. ^_^

The Decapitated Mole
5th May 2004, 02:13 PM
Yeah... so... has the test been sent already and I missed it or something? Or am I just being annoying and impatient as usual? Just wondering, cause it seems like it's been a while and I really am an impaciente fellow. So.... yeah.

o_0
jimm

Chris 2.1
8th May 2004, 02:39 AM
Well TDM I havent got a test yet. I presume Gav's just busy with life ATM. It can get pretty....whats the word....ensnaring at times. I guess we'll just sit tight and wait.

Oakbark
9th May 2004, 09:56 AM
Erm..i know its very short notice but i'd love to help out!
At least give me a go at the test to see how i'll fare...please?

Damien.

Gavin Luper
10th May 2004, 11:47 PM
Sorry everyone! I've been MIA for a week or so, which sucks, but I'm 'back' now. Yeah, life has been busy, so I haven't sent the tests out yet, but I have formulated them except for one little detail - which fic to use as the sample. Otherwise, it's ready to send out. With any luck, it'll be PMed to you all by Friday/Saturday. There'll be a fairly long deadline to complete the test in, though.

Oh, and Oakbark, I'll count you in, too!

Cheers!

Light_Togetic
11th May 2004, 01:46 PM
Oh! I meant to ask if I could try the test too, but I kept forgetting (yeah, I look great now -_-). If there's any chance, could I have a go at the test too? *laughs embarrassedly* I shall try my best.

Gavin Luper
23rd May 2004, 07:30 AM
OK, the practice reviews have been PMed to everyone - the instructions are in the PM. The deadline for the tests to be sent back in is June 5, though I have to make an exception for Light Togetic; apart from him, I got onto everyone else.

Light Togetic: Your inbox is overflowing. Delete some messages so I can send you the test!!

OK, I'll be regularly updating this to make sure everyone's on task :D:D Have fun!!!!

- Gavin.

Darien Shields
23rd May 2004, 03:04 PM
Will our reviews be posted anywhere?

I'm kinda afraid that Kris'll see mine and want to kill me.

Dragonfree
23rd May 2004, 03:11 PM
Ummm... I'm afraid you forgot that I said I was going to try it too... I didn't get it, at least...

Chris 2.1
23rd May 2004, 03:42 PM
Darien, if you gave an honest review then Kris will not be angry or anything. Just because you may have given it a low mark, that is no reason to react badly, especially if it is true. I reviewed her fanfic, too.

Anyway, my review has been emailed to Gavin.

Team Rocket's Lugia
23rd May 2004, 08:13 PM
I've sent in my review! Honestly, i think Gavin made a very good choice of the fic.

Darien Shields
24th May 2004, 10:15 AM
Good in what way? Are you saying you thought Kaya was good? I found this not to be the case, it was so-so, bordering between good and rubbish.

If you meant good as in good to review... if our opinions differ, what would that say? Some revweiwers are harsher than others? No?

Chris 2.1
24th May 2004, 02:20 PM
did we all review the same fanfic? :what: I thought we'd use different ones. Meh.

Anyway Darrien I think you should keep personal opinions on the fanfic to yourself, Kris won't want to get upset or whatever if she saw you say something like that. She worked very hard on it.

The Decapitated Mole
24th May 2004, 07:42 PM
Yeah... I sent my thing in saturday or sunday[can't remember which it was] morning, but I just wanted to let Gavin know, because I sent my review in an attachment, and I don't want him to think it's a virus or something of the sort. It'd be an email from headbone@dorkasaur.com. Just thought I'd let you know.

And as for the fic, I think it was an excellent fic for testing purposes, for reasons you may never know.

o_0
jimm

Gavin Luper
28th May 2004, 11:46 PM
Everyone was given the same fic to review - Kaya, by Kris. It would have been impossible to judge everybody's skills if each person had a different fic to rate, surely you can see that?

Anyway, I've received 5 reviews so far and they are interesting indeed. There's quite a range of scores and judgements, and frankly none of them have agreed with the rating I myself did of Kaya (not to be released yet ^^). However, this is the whole point of the test - to see how fairly everybody is rating fics ... I've had all kinds of extremes, from the mid 80s to the mid 40s so far ...

Anyhow, I've considered how well the 5 reviewers have done so far ... I'll wait for the others before I completely judge.

Notes: Dragonfree, I didn't forget ... I thought i sent it to you. If not, I will ASAP and you'll have the same amount of time to send in your review.

Also: Dragon Rider has pulled out of the competition.

And: I still haven't heard from Light Togetic.

Keep going guys!

Cheers!

Darien Shields
29th May 2004, 08:51 AM
Are we going to be judged against how similar our review was to your own? Or will those whose results best meet the average be accepted? I find it unclear what we were aiming for, if I had wanted to meet general concensus I'd have given everything a six or seven (seven is the "in" mark. Everyone gives sevens), but I felt like... well, first of all I felt like being cruel (I didn't mark lower that I felt anything was, I just decided not to sugar-coat my answers), and second of all, I felt like being... honest?

I doubt any two reviews will have the same mark (unless it's 70% on the dot), and can't really see how any one mark can be considered "right".

I'm not trying to make trouble, I'm just terminally confused.

P.S. no-one answered my question, are our reviews going to be posted? Should we be tight-lipped about our marks, or is it okay to say how much we liked/disliked the fic? I have made my affection for it (or lack of it) clear, and your prior statement seems to have already indicated my mark...

Gavin Luper
29th May 2004, 11:53 PM
Sorry Darien. Firstly, no, the reviews will not be posted anywhere, so you don't have to feel bad. Secondly, I did my own review of Kaya and got a result that was only 5-10% higher than yours, so I suppose you weren't too harsh after all.

Thirdly, I definitely won't be judging people's rating skills on how close they get to my rating, that would be unfair. I'll be judging on how well you gave a fair rating and if you give good advice and good justification. The marks will vary according to interpretation of the story. Of course, if someone rated the fic at like ... 20%, or 90%, I'd be a bit unsure of their ability to rate fics.

OK, I think I've successfully confused myself now. Keep rating everyone!

Dragonfree
31st May 2004, 05:42 PM
Ummm... which rating system are we using? Obsidian Blade's or the original one?

Darien Shields
31st May 2004, 07:54 PM
It's in the PM (I think), and it's the original.

Thanks for puting my mind at rest Luper... I guess I knew that was the way you'd do it, and shouldn't have expected anything less from you, but I was just getting a little phobic.

You didn't say whether we should be hush about our marks or not, but I'll just say mine now (so I don't have to go on hinting at it); 47%. Yeah, ouch. I didn't mean to mark it so low, I gave it a 6 overall, but that didn't count for much.

Err, if you didn't want the marks to be said, I'll edit this out.

Dragonfree
1st June 2004, 05:22 AM
Well, I never got the PM, not now either. Anyway, I'll rate it now...

*grumbles* I still think we should use the 200-point rating system for the real thing...

mistysakura
1st June 2004, 06:14 AM
Actually, I think there were a few changes made to the rating system... probably doesn't matter though. I remember the spelling/grammar thing was changed, at least.

Dragonfree
1st June 2004, 06:25 AM
Can somebody give me the right rating system then? Darn, I just finished it using the old system unchanged...

Darien Shields
1st June 2004, 07:40 AM
Look, a 200 point system just means people will give 170 instead of 70, meaning the overall mark is 85%. More marks just complexifies things too much, especially when you're gonna go down to a %age at the end anyway. Bessides, I think before you could award "0.5" of a mark, so if you ever feel that they're just that tiny, insiginificant amount higher, then go ahead, slap a half on.

Personally a "3/5" system seems more likely to get accurate results (ironically), because people are less likely to "*****-foot" around.

That said, I do feel more marks could be awarded for overall appeal, but the phrase "don't fix what ain't broken", rings in my mind, and tipping the scales could be... bad.

P.S. I'll PM you Dragonfree, if your inbox isn't full.

Dragonfree
1st June 2004, 08:20 AM
Being 200 points isn't the point, I can as well make it 100 points. In fact... I think that's a very good idea. Let's see...

Characterisation (/10): How realistic your characters are and whether they keep their personality well, all that stuff.

Plot (/10): Did it twist? Did it turn? Did it lead the reader on and keep them on the edges of their seats or did it just make them feel like they were a year one reading a picture book?

Spelling (/5): Do you spell it correctly or is it almost impossible to guess which word they're all supposed to be?

Grammar (/5): Do you confuse it's and its? They're and their? Do you punctuate well enough? How about sentence structure? Does it stay in the same tense throughout?

Chapter interest (/10): Too many cliffhangers, or are the chapters too independent on each other? Does each chapter make you want to read the next one?

Surroundings (/10): Can the reader picture the environment clearly? Do you describe?

Style (/10): How do you word things? Do you have too many inactive sentences in a row, making it lengthy? Is your writing unique?

Originality (/10): Has everything in your fic been done before, or is it completely new? Do you make things up rather than using the old game/animé stuff?

Layout (/5): Do you space it properly? Is it easy to read?

Achievement (/10): Did it turn out as it was supposed to do? Did it set the mood right?

Overall enjoyment (/15): Was it, overall, good? Did the reviewer, ignoring everything else, enjoy reading it or curse having ever volunteered for the Reviewer Crew?

Final score: /100%

I vote this system... spelling, grammar and layout each have only 5 points since they aren't exactly what makes or breaks a story unless they're an absolute eyesore, everything else is even except overall enjoyment.

Gavin Luper
3rd June 2004, 03:44 AM
I like that you're suggesting new scales and such, but to be honest, I think the changes I made to this original one are pretty fair. The emphasis is on the Plot, Originality, Characters and Writing Style, whereas the one you posted just then seems to take too many things into account and overall makes it a bit difficult. IMO, there were about 20 marks wasted on Chapter Interest, Layout and Achievement ... they would be better spent on Characters and plot, and style. Still, if we ever need a system overhaul I'll keep it in mind, cheers.

Anyhow, I've got about seven reviews so far, and I'm expecting 13 or so altogether, so keep them coming!

Cheers!

Light_Togetic
3rd June 2004, 06:03 PM
Oh my gosh! I am sooo sorry! I had no idea my inbox was so full... >_< And I've been extremely busy this past week or so with finals, and trying to find a part-time summer job. Um, anyway, I deleted some messages, so can you still send it to me? I'll have to do an extra-fast review...

Gah, this is so embarrassing... :sweat2:

Gavin Luper
4th June 2004, 04:23 AM
Not to worry, I'll send it to you ASAP ... tomorrow morning, my time. I'll give you the same time frame as everyone else had, don't worry! Thanks for replying! And also ... stress less!

Cheers!

Shadow Djinn
4th June 2004, 05:27 PM
I suppose this is kinda sad. I've been WAY too busy lately, no time to do nothing besides homework. -_-; I'm not sure WHEN I will have the review up, but I'm wondering if I could get a wee extension.

Gavin Luper
4th June 2004, 09:39 PM
Look, since there's still a few reviews to come in, and the deadline is drawing near, I'm going to extend the deadline to June 10 ... by then, everyone who wants to get into the reviewer's organisation should have their reviews in. Those who already have them in, good for you. Those who don't, get 'em in!

Light Togetic, I'm sending yours now!

Cheers!

mr_pikachu
8th June 2004, 05:53 PM
Whew! I'm glad you gave an extension... because I didn't get mine in until just now! (If you want a reason, it's in the E-mail, Gavin.) I was actually panicking, because I knew I was past the deadline. It's a relief to know that I actually got it in with time to spare!

btw, I sent it from pokemaster_writer@hotmail.com. Just thought I'd let you know, so it doesn't get deleted by mistake. Thanks, Gavin! :wave:

Gavin Luper
11th June 2004, 06:31 AM
No worries mate.

As for those who haven't got theirs in yet, send them anyway. No time limit, but I'm judging them already so, if you don't get them in very soon, you don't get them in. So hurry, please!

Cheers!

Darien Shields
30th June 2004, 06:32 AM
Hey, can we get an update? Are all our reviews so bad that you've been too disgusted to post back? I hope not 0_0.

Gavin Luper
2nd July 2004, 03:40 AM
Busy. No. Time.

Well I read them all, some people didn't get them into me but I'm not fussed. Anyways, I'm really sorry for being inactive for so long - life has been BUSY!!!!!!!!! So yeah holidays are due to start soon so I will be finalising all of this once and for all, while working on more LTL (chapter 49 finished, chapter 50 underway).

Cheers guys! And sorry once again!