PDA

View Full Version : Writers by Gender

Darien Shields
13th June 2003, 06:17 PM
I was talking to my stepsister recently (she writes a lot of Slash Fics for Buffy and Sci Fi series) and she said that most of the fan fic writers she knows are female. I checked and, shock horror, 2ra is the only male "writer" (excuse the use of speech marks. I think you all know how much I enjoy Journey through Hoenn) I know. I think he's male. Anyway. I'll assume everyone can be sorted into male and female. If you're between those please post your complaint.

Misty
13th June 2003, 06:28 PM
"Between those"? Yeah, ton of hermaphroditic writers on TPM these days... O_o

Mewfour
13th June 2003, 08:56 PM
*points to his custom title*

mistysakura
14th June 2003, 04:16 AM
Funny, I can name quite a few male fanfic writers off the top of my head...

The Decapitated Mole
14th June 2003, 08:48 AM
In case none of yas could tell, or just don't know who I am, I'm a 100%, all-American[unfortunately], 13-year-old peice of crap guy! OH YEAH!!!!!

Chris 2.1
14th June 2003, 03:49 PM
Im male, surprisingly, since this blue little water mouse was the first GS name I heard, i instantly copyrighted his name and well...now he's seen as a 'girl-Pokeymonz'. He's alrite. I get Chris or Shiny nowadays.

Ozandrew, Gavin Luper, Citrus Crush Chikorita, Hanada Tattsu are but a few male authors I know!

Darien Shields
14th June 2003, 04:36 PM
I said I didn't know male writers, not that there weren't any. Frankly I'm surprised, but my stepsister (I'm not taking her PoV for everything, but theirs no one else about to talk to about fan fics at this hour) guesses it's a male dominated fandom. I know that was true of the game and anime in my experience, but I had thought the guys would have been to busy playing pokemon cards or arguing which is better, harizard or Blastoise, to get round to fic writing. Evidently I was wrong. Or at least, from this display. Maybe things will change in time. Oh, note, I did vote myself. I don't see why Ishouldn't have, but I just thought it was worth mentionning.

oni flygon
14th June 2003, 04:58 PM
I write fanfics but not at these forums and I'm a male!
(dont mind my avatar cause I just like Yellow)

Captain Pringle
15th June 2003, 02:51 AM
:wave: I'm male... and I'm so glad I picked a screenname that doesn't sound at all feminine or anything. I know several people with screennames that cause people to thing they're the opposite gender, and it seems to bug them. ^_^

Zenith Magus
15th June 2003, 08:55 AM
I'm male... Though I really wish I could have picked a name that wouldn't have marked my gender. I need an effeminate user name.. or atleast an androgynous one.

Iveechan
16th June 2003, 09:16 PM
I'm female. A lot of people think I'm a guy when I enter chat rooms because i like Fighting Pokemon and stuff. And my stories seem kind of guy-ish. But girls can have a great sense of humor and like tough Pokemon too.

Tyler and Hobbes
16th June 2003, 10:09 PM
I'm a guy. I don't know if my name sounds feminine though. ^_^; I think my writing says that I'm a male.

Dragon_Claw
17th June 2003, 09:10 AM
what about me? I'm a guy! Becoming A Hoenn Master

Powarun
17th June 2003, 05:54 PM
I am a male fan fic writer, although my screen name is a little odd, and my fan fic ABC"s of Pokemon may sound a little femine, I just could not find a good title at the time. Also I may be mistaken for a three year old but I am fifteen and three fourths. Have a nice day.

DannyBoy
17th June 2003, 10:08 PM
IM a guy and I think my screen name tells it...Yea and all of my fics but one is the character is a girl which is Faith.

Hanada Tattsu
18th June 2003, 12:58 AM
Well, i'm a guy. However, I don't base my fics on me, I base it on Tracey, a guy from the Pokemon anime. So technically, all my characters are just about based off the show.

The Prophet
18th June 2003, 10:27 AM
I'm a female, but I tend to think of fics guys would probably write. I'm just not into witing shojo style.

Darien Shields
18th June 2003, 10:34 AM
Whoa, what a shocking result. I didn't even think tehre were that many writers here. But I really have to wonder, what the gender ratio is for good writers.

(I'm not calling everyone who voted in the poll a bad writer, I'm just saying there's no way to discern the good from the bad.)

mr_pikachu
18th June 2003, 05:12 PM
*silently points to username and sig* *starts talking oriental-style*

Only one way to see good from bad... to read for self!

*runs off laughing hysterically*

Zenith Magus
18th June 2003, 05:30 PM
mr_pikachu- Indeed. Writing capability does not seem to depend on gender. For example, I am male, but I am not an example of the stereotype that most males are not creative. Not to offend or sound egostitical, of course. It is just that I keep coming up with a plot every week.

Darien Shields
18th June 2003, 05:57 PM
It's not a creativity thing, it's an intellignce in comparison to maturity thing.

Girl mature much earlier, and so generally are smarter, more devoted, etc. So they're better at english and sticking to something, you know. Boys mature later, and so young, male, pokemon fans are less likely to be capable writers.

Of coarse, that is assuming you have a brain matching your physical gender, it's highly possible that many male fic writers or things have female brains. That, incase you're wonderring, doesn't make them gay, it makes them better at multi tasking. Male brain is better at navigating and map reading. From what I hear anyway.

Wild Female Machoke
20th June 2003, 07:18 PM
I am a female. I really wanted to use a Fighting Pokémon for my nickname and had to make it feminine so people won't mistake me for a guy.

OK, back to the topic, my story involved a female main character (the young Street Fighter Sakura Kasugano.) Yes, I did base some parts of it off the anime series, but I broke a few rules and break the Pokémon stereotypes. (I don't know why I like placing Pokémon with Capcom characters though. :D )

Krystalline Kabutops
21st June 2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Darien Shields
It's not a creativity thing, it's an intellignce in comparison to maturity thing.

Girl mature much earlier, and so generally are smarter, more devoted, etc. So they're better at english and sticking to something, you know. Boys mature later, and so young, male, pokemon fans are less likely to be capable writers.

Of coarse, that is assuming you have a brain matching your physical gender, it's highly possible that many male fic writers or things have female brains. That, incase you're wonderring, doesn't make them gay, it makes them better at multi tasking. Male brain is better at navigating and map reading. From what I hear anyway. Whoa... now I know m brain's gender.. Or it just might be my ADHD... Or both!

I agree with your post entirely... so... now I will dissapear.

*vanishes*

Ghost
22nd June 2003, 07:59 PM
If anybody wants to guess what gender I am, take a look at my name. (BTW, Girls can't be bounty hunters)

anyways, I'm one of the most stupid writers here. I would consider myself in a lower league of people.

The Decapitated Mole
22nd June 2003, 08:54 PM
My brain confuses me. I'm one of the most creative people I know, my brain comes up with some of the weirdest, coolest, most excellent ideas I've ever heard, but half the time I'm so absentminded that I forget them, and the other half of the time they're ruined because I'm not very good at expressing myself. [Take a look at my one and only fic--it's actually a good example this time. When I first sat down to write it two years ago, I had just discovered the fanfic forum, and I had absolutely no idea how to write a fanfic. I had lots of ideas of what to post, and the chapters, and everything, and, beleive it or not, it was originally going to be a serious fic. However, my natural semi-insanity coupled with the fact that I'm a funny guy turned it into something funny. Also, it's written the way it was because I had so many thoughts of it in my brain, and that was the quickest way to get them all down, because I never do drafts of anything, it just doesn't work for me.] I have absolutely no idea what my brain's gender is, it seems to be a slightly defective combination of both. [Cool, I'm a heshe!] j/k :p

o_0
jimm

Darien Shields
23rd June 2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Raven The Jedi Bounty Hunter
(BTW, Girls can't be bounty hunters)

*cough*Samus Aran*cough* Greatest Bounty Hunter*cough*ever.

Ghost
23rd June 2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Darien Shields
*cough*Samus Aran*cough* Greatest Bounty Hunter*cough*ever.

I consider her a assassin

Darien Shields
24th June 2003, 10:10 AM
The game specifically calls her a bounty hunter (or the manual at least), you can consider her a homosexual stripper, it won't change the fact that she's a bounty hunter and it's a unisex proffession.

Drago
27th June 2003, 08:08 AM
Cue Redbeard Rum's (of Blackadder) bellowing 'You have a woman's brain! I bet that brain was never pried out of your skull, waved about like a piece of cheese to attract the attention of your crew, then crammed back in before you could even breathe!'

I'm a male, and I intend on staying that way. I don't really think my writing style is all that feminine, but, come to think of it, it isn't exactly masculine either! O_o

And, just a thought, maybe most of the fic writers are female, its just that more males happened to reply to this topic. Could be... could be...

The Rusted One
28th June 2003, 08:26 AM
I am yet to write a fanfic for these boards. I have ideas, etc., it's just the getting-the-beginning-down-on-paper aspect I can't be bothered with at the moment. I've rewritten the start a number of times (many because my brother continually breaks the computer and every single document, apart from my Mum's, gets wiped) that it's really hard to get myself writing it all again.

Anyway, I'm a male. I suppose my user name is fairly androgynous with no gender alliegances - but I'm not sure whether people think identify me as male or not based on the way I write. It'd be quite interesting to find out, I guess.

HiTM@N
30th June 2003, 10:57 PM
I'm male, I hope my username helps some people come to that conclusion. IMO If a male writer can make a story that intices both the male and female reviewer population, they've done a good job. Making a story too Waffy may make it too feminine but if its too machoistic that makes it too masculine. Balance is the key to a great story. If a guy can come to an understanding of what a female would want in a piece of literature, and still add in their own ideals then there you go. Its almost like saying " Go Find The Secret Of Life and You shall be enlightened." Peace 8)

CrystalPinkTorchic
15th July 2003, 06:01 PM
Try and guess my gender based on my username! I am not telling... :). But seriously, I do tend to agree with that. The female brain does indeed tend to mature slightly faster. I once took a
" brain gender " test. It said that my brain was of the female gender. I am talking in terms of brain maturity, with no offense meant. :)

Darien Shields- Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry! Really, I am sorry!

Kohdok
17th July 2003, 11:26 AM
People have thought that I am female...

And they were flat-out wrong. I mean, they didn't even ask If I was male or female before referring to me as "her". I laughed, and gently pointed out their mistakes. (My username on the forum this happened on was "Shadow". Does that sound feminine to you...?) I guess I either had a large female influence during my youth or there's a bias that many good fanfics are written by girls. (It was probably the one fic more dreaded than a Trainer Fic, a character inclusion, but it got good reviews anyway...)

I guess it's because my fanfics break the typical mold...and are, to an extent, good, at least that's what I'm told...

Darien Shields
19th July 2003, 04:24 AM
Aaahhh!

I didn't intend for this to be a subject where people come and complain about being wrongly identified as a girl/boy. I'm sure it's happenned to all of us! Now, say something meaningful, or shut up. If you want to talk to other people about how you're categorically not a girl, start your own topic!

(Sorry if I sound mean.)

Note: I guess if you want to say something about how your characters are male and you're not (or vis versa), that's not going to bother me.

Gavin Luper
19th July 2003, 04:33 AM
I'm a writer and I'm male.

You might be right, though, DragoKnight, (that rhymes way too much) a lot of the female writers might just not be replying.

Anyway, I don't think gender has much to do with your writing ability. I mean, stereotypically and traditionally, girls were more creative and eloquent and boys were more practical, but I mean, that stands for nothing ... many great writers are male.

Cheers!

CrystalPinkTorchic
19th July 2003, 07:23 AM
Gavin Luper- I actually fully agree with you.

Gavin Luper
26th July 2003, 02:59 AM
Thanks, CrystalPinkTorchic!

Darien, are you sure about that brain theory? Lol. I mean, maybe it's not male and female, maybe some male brains are more creative?

Dunno. But you're right about the multiskilled thing because girls have 30% more brain connections or something, don't they?

geoff
31st July 2003, 03:07 PM
I'm a guy. On my old name [ryuukoaremi], I got confused as a girl alot. But 'Geoff' is a guy name, so... yeah.

ThePhenom
1st August 2003, 12:16 AM
I'm a writer and I'm 100% dude. 8)

classy_cat18
10th August 2003, 11:56 PM
I'm a girl. But really, do you think that a guy would give himself a screen name like Classy_cat18?

Orion
14th August 2003, 11:25 AM
XD,there's lotsa hints in my Sig and Avvie that I'm a guy.Orion has never sounded femenine to me too.I'm glad I don't get confused as a female,but I DO confuse people as male/female sometimes,anyway...

I'm a writer too.I think it doesn't depends on your brain.I'm very childish with real life people,and still,I'm such a deep and mature guy by inside...I'm currently working on a former Fic.I get lots of weird ideas,which never see the light due to my laziness and their craptacularity...

I'm not only a Fanfic writer,I even have my very own history!I've been making it up for about 10 years,and I could say it's great,yet very complicated!If anyone's interested(Unlikely:P),PM me;)

I don't think it's about brain.I must admit I have a girl brain,though,because I understand feelings,and I'm not that physical,but I believe it's about imagination.I have big imagination,which allows me to come up with a lot of ideas,sometimes weird,sometimes excellent!Also,I got a great memory to tie up things with ease.

Right now,I'm writing a Trainer Fic.I focus A LOT in feelings,but also in action!My main character is a guy,but his best friend is a girl,and she's very important!

And well...I don't consider myself a Story Writer Extraordinaire,but I could say I'm good enough...

Lady Vulpix
25th August 2003, 02:25 PM
I'm female, I love writing and I'm good at multi-tasking, navigating/map-reading and statistic-breaking. :P

Of course, you can easily tell my gender from my PDN.

Anyway, my fic's not based on me, though there's a character who has a lot in common with me, but not everything. I wish I could do the things she does. :rolleyes: