PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon: Pacto League

ThePhenom
10th July 2003, 08:30 PM
This is my new trainer fic. I’m not really new to this. I used to have one at another site, but stopped when it went down for a little while. I hope you guys think it’s original and stuff. Yes, there’s a registering for the league and stuff, but I only include that because I feel like it’s a natural thing now, as you have to sign up for leagues. Anyways, I have big expectations on this fic. I hope it lives up to what I want it to be. And thanks to anyone who takes time to read. All comments welcomed.

Pokemon: Pacto League

Chapter 1: Once Upon A Time

Ahh…the town of Gainsboro. My kind of place. Not only is it the town where my sister, Ally, and I have lived all our lives, but it’s the southern most town in the whole region of Pacto, and on a yearly basis it’s the host city for the Pacto Regional Pokemon Championships. The beautiful beaches to the west of the city, accompanied by festivals that are in constant occurrence in the center of town, are reasons why Gainsboro is commonly referred to as a place where dreams come true. Well if Gainsboro truly was a place where dreams came true then I wouldn’t have to deal with my sister’s boyfriend, Nick Durocher.

‘Da Roach’, as I like to call him, is just under 6 feet tall with short black hair and a smile that seems to exude confidence. More like arrogance if you ask me. He’s the kind of person that will act like you’re his buddy when you’re with family, but will treat you like dirt when he’s got nothing better to do. But being Ally’s younger brother, my mom tends to take her word over mine, so my complaints about Nick go unheard. To be honest, as much as the guy acts like an idiot towards me, he treats my sister well and for all intensive purposes, is a nice guy. I mean, he’s already gone around the Pacto region with my sister collecting badges, so he’s worthy of my trust. He even qualified for the PRPC(Pacto Regional Pokemon Championships), gaining 8 badges during his travels. Nick actually got my sister into training Pokemon too.

That’s the kind of impact he has on her. She battled numerous gyms when they traveled together around Pacto, even gaining 5 badges herself. Just 3 more and she too can qualify for the PRPC. To tell you the truth, I’m not into battling Pokemon as much as I like to admit. It’s just that my mom says she doesn’t like me sitting around the house all day, and I always hear ‘why can’t you go out and be more adventurous like Nick?’, like he was my brother or something. That got me thinking; I want to shut Nick’s arrogant mouth by becoming a Pokemon master. That’s my motivation. Now I can’t wait for my Pokemon journey to begin tomorrow. Thank God, I won’t have to see Nick for months…

… “WHAT!?!?!”, I yelled to my mother from my bed, “you can’t possibly do this!”. “It wasn’t my decision”, she answered back. “It’s just that Nick wants to train more for the PRPC, and since your sister wants to go too, she’ll have a chance at getting the 8 badges she needs. Wouldn’t that be great if you all qualified?”, she said with a smile. “Mom, I really don’t want Nick and Ally going with me. I mean, not so much Ally, but you can’t let Nick come. He’ll torture me”, I pleaded. “Oh, you’re such a drama queen, JC. It’s not like you know Pacto like the back of your hand either. You’re just 15. Nick and Ally have seen most of the region already. Besides, knowing how great Nick is at battling, maybe he can teach you a thing or two”, she replied. I put my hands over my ears and pretended like I hadn’t heard any of this.

I couldn’t believe this was happening. Something I had dreamed about for… mmm…about 6 weeks, was ruined for me. I spent time during my shower and breakfast trying to devise a plan on how I could get everything to work my way; no luck. I didn’t want to be a baby about it, cause it would just be more wood that Nick could throw on my flame. “Nick and Ally will meet you at the PRP League Center downtown”, my mom told me as I finished off my plate. I quickly checked the mirror to make sure my backwards hat was perfectly straight, and headed out the door. After about a 15 minute walk to downtown Gainsboro, I arrived at the center. There was a line to the front desk, as today was one of the two days you could sign up for the league every month. Every other Saturday to be exact. I was almost to the front when I heard a thud. It was Nick’s fist colliding with my left arm. I rubbed my arm to get rid of the pain. “You’re going to need to be a little tougher if you want to be like me”, Nick said. “Trust me, I don’t want to be anything like you”, I muttered to myself. “Hey Little Bro, what’s up?”, Ally greeted me, with her Eevee by her side. I was happy Ally was coming with me. We’re not like most brothers and sisters. Sure we’ve disagreed on occasion, but never fists flying or hair pulling. I’ve been fortunate to have a sister like her. The line quickly departed and it was my turn to register.

I did so and moved to the backroom where it was my turn to pick out a Pokemon. I already had one in mind. “JC, which one will it be?”, one of the professors at the center asked me. “The Quilster!” I said, as I was handed a Pokeball with Cyndaquil in it. Nick chuckled at the fact that I said ‘Quilster’. “You’re such a dork”, he said as he punched me in my left arm once again. “Nick, stop doing that”, Ally scolded. A smile broke upon my face as I thought about them breaking up. “What are you so happy about?”, Nick asked. “Oh, nothing”, I replied, still equipped with that ‘I’m taking over the world’ smile. “Ok, let’s go!”, I told the two of them. “Wait”, Nick said as he ran over to a PC. “Let me deposit some of my Pokemon. I only want to bring 3 with me”. “Good idea”, Ally agreed as she ran to another PC. “Bring your Nidorina”, Nick shouted to Ally. Nidorina was a gift from Nick to Ally last Valentine’s Day. In return, Ally got Nick a Nidorino.

We passed Gainsboro Stadium, where the PRPC are held, on our way out of town. “Can’t wait to compete there later this year,” Nick commented. “Me either,” I chimed in, with Cyndaquil rubbing against my leg. Nick laughed again, as if he was making himself feel better by doing so. “I’m not going to sit here and watch you treat me like I’m a little kid,” I shouted. “What’s your problem?,” Nick questioned me back. “You”. Cyndaquil then dove head first into Nick’s legs, trying to push him away. I could already see that my Quilly was loyal. That boosted the confidence I had in myself. “I want to battle you, right now,” I told him. “JC, don’t be stupid,” Ally warned me. “It’s ok, babe," said Nick, "I’m going to teach your brother a lesson.”

I reassured my Cyndaquil as I brought him into battle. “Tyrogue, go!”, Nick said, as he released the pokeball. “Cyndaquil, tackle attack!”. Cyndaquil chop-blocked Tyrogue, sending him face first to the ground. Tyrogue hopped right back up“Counter!”, commanded Nick. Tyrogue scooped up Cyndaquil and threw him hard down to the ground. The match was over before it started. “Oh, man,” I said as I ran over to see how Cyndaquil was. “I didn’t want to have to do that,” Nick told me as I bent down to pick up ‘the Quilster’. Ally came over and gave me a hug. “Think before you act or you’ll end up looking like an idiot,” she said as she cuddled me. Ally may only be a year and a half older than me, but the whole situation made me feel like a little kid. I guess losing your first ever pokemon battle will do that to you.

We were finally out of Gainsboro and on our way to Apricot City, just to the east. “It’s getting dark,” Ally warned. “We better set up shop for the night here. That ok with you, JC,” she asked. I gave her a simple ‘whatever’ kind of look. I was still disappointed in myself for not only putting Cyndaquil in that kind of position, but for also letting Nick get on my bad side. I bet Nick got satisfaction out of my anger. As I laid there in my sleeping bag, I couldn’t help but think that maybe I got into pokemon for the wrong reasons. Maybe if I ignore Nick, it won’t just make me a better person, but it might make me a better pokemon trainer. “JC, don’t worry about today,” Ally crawled over and told me. “Your journey hasn’t even begun.”

DannyBoy
10th July 2003, 08:48 PM
THis is ok so far. Its good to see a trainer not wanting to go on a pokemon adventure and collect badges. I bet by the end he will like it. THis seems original. Its not in any places already mentioned. One thing that wasnt original was the proffesor ordeal. Length could be longer but description is ok. Maybe a lil more. Keep it up!

Meganium
10th July 2003, 08:49 PM
I Like It keep it up, a lot of orriginallity (sp) Keep Up, I like the plot Nick's a Jerk I like Ally and JC but Ally has to realize Nicks scum. Keep up the good work,

ThePhenom
10th July 2003, 09:33 PM
Thanks guys. I'll post Chapter 2 ASAP. :)

I know it gets confusing when people do these fan fics without maps, so I put together a (bad) map for you guys. :P

Like the sig, Meg. :P

EDIT: The bitmap didn't work. Lemme try this.

If it's not clear I'll post the names of the cities/islands.

- Gainsboro
- Apricot City
- Mulberry Town
- Cyan City
- Commonwealth of Shamrock
- Evolution Island
- Sunglow City
- Magenta City
- Periwinkle Town
- Sienna City
- Bittersweet City
- Burlywood
- North Orchid Island
- South Orchid Island

There will probably be cities I add in between places even though they're not on the map. :yes:

[attachment deleted by admin]

ThePhenom
11th July 2003, 08:08 PM
I just got around to doing Chapter 2. There isn't much action, as it's more based around character development. It also sheds light on certain places and events that will be occuring in later chapters. Also, I didn't want to rush into battling, because I know that can get boring. I also don't do long long chapters like others might do. Sometimes stories drag on, and I don't want this to be like that. I want to keep you interested enough so that you finish it. :P Anyway, enjoy. For your viewing pleasure:

PS Feel free to add any comments or ask any questions. :)

Chapter 2: Listen and Learn

“Rise and shine!,” Ally greeted me as I tried to wipe away the crust from my eyes. I sniffed out an aroma as I turned to see Nick making breakfast over a fire. His Torkoal most likely assisted in the making of the fire, as it was sitting to the side of Nick gobbling down strips of bacon.

“Cyndaquil, go!,” I said, throwing out my loyal pokemon. I noticed my Cyndaquil wasn’t too bashful either. He went and sat right next to Torkoal, who actually shared some of his bacon with him. “I guess fire pokemon gotta stick together,” Nick said. Silence interrupted any chance of a conversation.

“I’m sorry about last night,” Nick explained. “I had a talk with your sister earlier and she made me aware of how I’ve been acting. I’ve been acting like a jerk towards you. And not just yesterday too. It’s been going on too long. We’ve got a long trip ahead of us and it’d benefit the both of us if we were able to communicate with one another rather than just not talk. I know your mom tells you that you can learn a lot from me, but as cliché as this might sound, I can learn a lot from you as well”.

I almost pinched myself to see if I was dreaming or not. Even if what he said wasn’t from the heart, I gained more respect for the guy because he cared about my sister enough to feign a relationship with me, just for the better of the trip. Of course, I won’t fully invest trust in Nick until he proves he’s worthy of gaining it. However, all this talk about a long trip ahead excited me. Excited me to the point where I couldn’t wait to find out what adventures lay deep in the lands of Pacto. Excited me to the point where I actually wanted to TALK to Nick about what was in store for us on our trip.

“You really want to know about my journeys?,” Nick asked, as he was quite shocked. “I thought you weren’t that into Pokemon,” he said as he nudged me in the ribs. “I didn’t think I was either. But I saw the way Cyndaquil interacted with Torkoal earlier, and it actually put a smile on my face. I’m sure you’ve had experiences like that with Pokemon, and I want to know about them,” I explained. “Yeah, I have,” Nick replied as he let Nidorino, Tyrogue, and Torkoal walk with us on our way to Apricot City. Ally did the same, releasing Nidorina, Eevee, and her Whismur.

“Well it all started a year or two back,” he began to explain. “Ironically, I had the same outlook on Pokemon as you do. I never had intentions of becoming a trainer and going around Pacto showing off my skills. I simply was lonely. My dad passed away a couple years after I was born, and as an only child I had no one to turn to except for my mother. I love my mom with all my heart, but she couldn’t provide everything for me. We had food and money, no worries there. But I wanted a friend who was always there for me. I wanted a Pokemon. My yearning for a Pokemon came when I saw my older cousin Matt compete in his first PRPC. He made Pokemon battling an art form. Every command he said was like magic. I was just in awe of what he could do with a Pokemon. I was heartbroken when he lost later on in the tournament. To me Matt seemed like the world’s greatest trainer, and losing wasn’t an option for him. I’ve always known I couldn’t live up to Matt, but I wanted a shot. I’ve never been a risk-taker, but I didn’t want to let my life pass me by anymore. I wanted to try training Pokemon. I had no clue where to begin, so I went to Matt. Matt told me the best knowledge anyone can have on Pokemon is first-hand knowledge, and that it’d not only be a waste of time to give advice to me, but that I wouldn’t learn anything from what he told me. Instead, he gave me one of his Pokemon that he recently caught, and told me I could raise it for him until I caught more Pokemon and proved that I could hold my own in Pacto. The Torkoal he gave me about 2 years ago is now my best bud.”

“This the same Torkoal?,” I asked Nick, pointing his fire breathing Pokemon.

“Yup, that’s the one. I can’t wait to visit Matt, just north of Magenta City. I want to see the reaction on his face when I show him how much Torkoal’s grown. Anyway, back to the story.”

“I didn’t even train for a year after getting Torkoal. Well, atleast I didn’t go around collecting badges. I stayed around Gainsboro and battled with Torkoal by my side. During that year I met Ally, and that’s when I started traveling. Haha, I caught her an Eevee before we left, to give her a reason to come. I can’t speak for Ally, but the trip around Pacto with her was one of the best times of my life.” Ally nodded in agreement. “More importantly, I was able to share my love for Pokemon, and it rubbed off on her. I can’t ever remember losing a 2 on 2 battle with her. We became that good because we worked with each other. As long as I had her rooting me on, I knew I couldn’t fail. Everything wasn’t heavenly though. We ran into trouble on Orchid Island. Because of the climate there a lot of the best Pokemon trainers train there year round. Ally and I were no where near their level. Ally tried her luck at the North Orchid Island Gym, dominated by Psychic Pokemon. She was just as unsuccessful as I was when I competed against the South Orchid Island Gym, which is made up of Dark Pokemon trainers. It ended our trip on a sour note, especially since Ally hadn’t gotten 8 badges on our first go around. I told her I wouldn’t compete in the PRPC until she was eligible. Hopefully not only Ally, but you can become eligible for the PRPC after this go around,” he concluded.

“I’m going to try my best,” I assured Nick and my sister. I couldn’t think about anything else except training my Pokemon since the talk Nick gave me. In just over a day, my motivation has gone from trying to show up Nick to trying to get up to his level.

‘Only time will tell if I can get to his level’ I thought to myself as we approached Apricot City. ‘Only Time Will Tell’.

DannyBoy
11th July 2003, 08:17 PM
THis was a ok chapter. a little short but it was about character development. It seems Nick grew to like pokemon and JC relizes he will grow and like pokemon to, So that is good to know. IT was a little on the short side but ok. Description was good to. Still need a little more in it. So far ok. Keep it up!

ThePhenom
11th July 2003, 09:55 PM
Thanks, ILXT. I don't want to drag on and get people to lose interest, so I have no problem with the length. :P

I just wish more people would read it. :(

Meganium
12th July 2003, 04:37 PM
Great chapter, description is really good. Character development, great but length needs a liitle more. Awesome chapter even if he is faking Nick was a good guy this chapter.

ThePhenom
12th July 2003, 09:55 PM
I might not be here tomorrow, so don't expect Chapter 4 until Monday. Anyway, here's chapter 3 and it is a little bit longer than the other 2 chapters. Enjoy. :P

Chapter 3: The Drive For Six

I woke up early the next morning because I couldn’t sleep the night before. All I could think about was Pokemon. Pokemon and nothing BUT Pokemon. I even kept Cyndaquil out of his ball last night to keep me company. I think keeping Cyndaquil out of his ball is going to be a habit of mine. I see Ally keep her Eevee next to her at all times and I want that bond with Cyndaquil, and the only way I’m going to do that is by seeing him at all times.

Instead of waking up Ally and Nick, I decided to take a nice morning jog around Apricot City with Cyndaquil. It’s truly a beautiful city. Most of it is tropical because it’s in close proximity of the Pacto Ocean just north of the city. Some of the ocean runs off into the Apricot River, which runs north to south, straight through the heart of the city. Cyndaquil and I took a little drink from the freshwater a little while into our jog.

I picked up a brochure when Cyndaquil and I stopped to eat for breakfast. “Mulberry Town Fiftieth Annual Water Pokemon Festival,” I said as I read it out loud to Cyndaquil. Cyndaquil nodded ‘no’, obviously aware of his type weakness. “It’s ok, little buddy,” I reassured him. I continued to read on:

The Mulberry Town Water Pokemon Festival is a Festival that pays homage to all the Water Pokemon and Water Pokemon Trainers that are native to this port by the sea. Mulberry Town is noted for something more than their Water Pokemon Festival though. Mulberry Town is the place where the Legendary Water Pokemon Suicune was last spotted. This however, was over 50 years ago. The people of Mulberry Town believed Suicune was not only native to their town, but that Suicune was their protector. Ever since the sighting, Mulberry has held a Festival every year, one day hoping that their legendary Suicune would appear before them. No such luck has occurred. Despite all of this, the highlight of the Mulberry Town Water Pokemon Festival has to be it’s Water Pokemon Tournament, held in downtown Mulberry. Dozens of competitors compete yearly to see if their Pokemon is the best Water Pokemon in the region. Winners of the competition have gone on to have quite successful Pokemon careers, some even bringing home the prestigious Pacto Regional Pokemon Championship. Some could even consider the Mulberry Tournament a stepping stone for future Pokemasters…

I was speechless from the brochure. I paid the breakfast bill and bolted with Cyndaquil back to where we were staying. I couldn’t wait to show this to Nick and Ally. But something caught my eye on my way through downtown Apricot. No, it wasn’t a pretty girl. But it was pretty.

Right before my eyes was the Apricot City Gym. I had never seen a Pokemon gym before in my life, as there isn’t a PRPC sponsored one in Gainsboro. The gym was two stories high and built from Golden Brick. I quickly wondered if all gyms were as extravagant as that, and continued to walk.

“You won’t believe what I saw,” I said happily to Ally and Nick, who had just woken up. “Well, I saw the gym and, but that’s not even..,” I began to say before I got interrupted. “Where?,” Ally asked me. “Downtown, but I want to…,” I got out before I got interrupted again. “I wanna to battle today,” Ally said. “That’s not a bad idea,” Nick concurred. “Plus, it’ll give JC a chance to see how tough a Gym Battle is,” he added. “Yeah, I’m fine with that, but..,” I said, as I basically quit mid-sentence. Luckily I had brought the brochure with me, so I had plenty of time to show Nick and Ally.

All three of us made our way back downtown. The Gym looked even more beautiful than before, as the noon sun glistened off the Golden Brick. “It says here that this Gym is an Electric Pokemon Gym,” Nick notified us, reading from the sign to the right of the door. “I know what to do,” Ally said. We walked into the Gym and were taken right to the battlefield, where we were greeted by the Gym Leader. The leader was a tall, muscular guy with long blonde hair that went down to his shoulders.

“Hello,” he introduced himself, “my name is Thurman and I’m the Apricot City Gym Leader. Now, who will I be battling for the Bolt Badge on this lovely afternoon?” Ally raised her hand and stepped to the front. “Does three on three sound good?,” he queried. She didn’t say a word again and simply nodded her head ‘yes’. Nick and I went into the stadium seats to root on our girl. The referee said the rules and this gym battle was officially underway.

APRICOT CITY GYM BATTLE: ALLY VS. LEADER THURMAN
Three versus Three
“Go, Mareep!,” Thurman said, throwing his Pokeball to the center of the field. “Eevee, this is your time to shine,” Ally told her sidekick. “Eevee, go!” “Tackle attack,!” cried Thurman. Mareep dove at Eevee, but was too slow as Eevee was able to get away from the attack.

“Eevee, quick attack, now,” Ally commanded. Eevee tackled Mareep and knocked it right off it’s feet. “Eevee, Bite attack!”. “Mareep, Cotton Spore, quickly,” Thurman ordered. Mareep got off a Cotton Spore and froze Eevee in her tracks. “Mareep, Thundershock.” Mareep let off a bolt of electricity that stunned Eevee. Eevee seemed to shake off any injuries. “Eevee, Tackle attack.” “Mareep, Reflect!,” Thurman ordered his Electric Sheep. Eevee dove towards Mareep but ran into a brick wall that was Mareep’s reflect. “Mareep, Thunder!” Ally froze for a second. “Eevee, Sand Attack!”. Eevee kicked up enough sand to throw off Mareep’s Thunder. “Eevee, use Take Down!” Eevee did a risk-taking tackle that demolished Mareep. Mareep was on it’s back and unable to move. “Eevee has won. Mareep is unable to battle,” said the referee.

“Good job, Mareep,” Thurman told his pokemon. “Electrike, go!”. “Eevee, Take Down again!,” Ally ordered. Eevee’s attack didn’t get much of Electrike, but Electrike’s electric body paralyzed Eevee. “Oh no,” Ally said to herself. “Electrike, we got it right where we want it. Thunder attack!,” commanded Thurman. Eevee was unable to evade the attack as the bolt of lighting fainted Eevee. “Eevee is unable to battle. Electrike is the winner.”

“That’s ok, Eevee. Go, Nidorina,” Ally let out. “Electrike, Tackle”. Nidorina was too quick for the jaded Electrike. “Nidorina, Headbutt!”. Electrike was hit dead on and pushed to the back of the field. “Electike, Swift.” Nidorina was shaken up after the attack. “Electrike, Charge,” Thurman commanded, and a big electric forcefield formed around Electrike. “Nidorina, go break it up,” Ally ordered. Nidorina charged at Electrike, but got caught in the forcefield and thrown backwards. “Electrike, finish it with Thunderbolt.” Nidorina was still down from the forcefield jolt, and was too slow to escape Electrike’s Thunderbolt. “Nidorina is unable to battle. Electrike is your winner.”

“That was my fault. Whismur, you’re my last hope,” Ally told her Pokemon as she released it into battle. Thurman chuckled, but tried not to. “Electrike Charge up again.” Ally tried to think of a way she could penetrate the forcefield without doing it physically. “Whismur, Screech attack!” A loud high pitched sound rang throughout the building, and made Electrike lose concentration on it’s Charge. “Whismur, Take Down!” Whismur went head first into Electrike, sending him back hard onto the ground and knocking him out. “Electrike is unable to battle, Whismur is the winner.”

“Yay!,” Ally said as she began to hug Whismur. The field then lit up as Whismur began to glow. “It’s evolving!” I stood up and yelled from the seats, as Nick pulled me back down and stuffed popcorn in my mouth. Ally’s new Loudred may not have been as cute as Whismur, but it looked a lot more powerful.

“Just in time,” Thurman told Ally. He put Electrike back in it’s Pokeball and threw out Electabuzz, his main Pokemon. “Loudred, Supersonic.” Electabuzz dodged the attack quite easily. “Thunderpunch,” shouted Thurman. Electabuzz caught Loudred with the punch right in the face, sending him flying. Loudred shook it off though. “Loudred, Take Down attack.” “Electabuzz, quick, use Barrier.” Loudred was stopped dead in it’s tracks by the wall Electabuzz had put up. “Electabuzz, Zap Cannon.” Loudred had no where to go and was hit with the Zap Cannon attack, instantly paralyzing him. “Electabuzz, finish it off with Thunder.” It looked grim for Ally, especially with Loudred paralyzed. She had one last hope. “Loudred, use Façade,” Ally belted across the Gym. Electabuzz couldn’t dodge the attack because it was powering up for Thunder, and it was too late. Electabuzz had fallen to Loudred’s Façade attack. “Electabuzz is unable to battle. Loudred is the winner.”

“YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!,” Ally screamed, as she ran and hugged Loudred. Nick and I cheered Ally on from the stands. ‘That battle was simply amazing’ I thought to myself.

“I believe this is yours,” Thurman told Ally, handing her the Bolt Badge. “It’s obvious to me that you’re no rookie,” he complimented her. She still was speechless. She just put on a smile and shook his hand. “I’m so proud of you, babe,” Nick said. “Me too,” I added. “Thanks, you guys,” Ally said modestly. Six badges for my big sis. Just two more to go.

“Now what was it you were saying before, JC?,” Nick asked. “Oh,” I answered, “it’s about where I want us to head next. It’s called Mulberry Town and it’s just east of here. They’re having this big festival a day or two from now and it has a lot of history, so I though it’d be worth seeing.” “That sounds good to me,” Ally said. “Well then that’s where we’re going,” Nick said, making the trip to Mulberry Town unanimous.

Meganium
12th July 2003, 10:05 PM
Great Chapter. Length is Lengthy lol dscriptions great I have a feeling he will catch a water Pokemon. I wonder which Pokemon he will capture. Great chap cant wait till Monday.

DannyBoy
12th July 2003, 10:20 PM
That was better then the first two chapters. The gym battle was good. It could have a went a little longer with each pokemon battle. It alos could have been more descriptive like with what the attacks look like and all that. Ally is a really strong trainer and I think she is cool. It is a good thing JC. Keep it up! If you need help feel free to im me on aim.

ThePhenom
13th July 2003, 10:55 AM
Thanks, you two. I appreciate the comments. You seem to be my only two readers though. :(

ThePhenom
14th July 2003, 01:07 AM
I guess I lied. Here's Chapter 4 for ya. It might not be as great cause I just finished it at 2 in the morning, but whatever. :P

Chapter 4: A Gyarados of Your Own Medicine

“This looks like a good place to set up shop,” Nick said, as he pointed to a nice beach just to the west of the path we were headed on. The sun had just set and the ocean water was so clear that you could see the reflection of the moon in it.

We began to pitch our tent on land near the beach when a thought popped in my head. “We might as well catch some Water Pokemon for the Mulberry Tournament while we’re here.” “That’s not a bad idea,” Nick said, looking at Ally for reassurance. “Sure, why not,” she agreed.

All three of us ran to the shore and started making rods out of sticks and worms we found on the beach. One by one we finished making the rods and headed out on to the beache’s dock. I was first to catch something. “I think I got something,” I shouted. It gave me a tough time, but I finally got it out, and boy, let me tell you, there’s nothing like catching a big size 13 shoe. You haven’t fished until you’ve reeled in a sucker like that. I was kind of bummed out by the whole shoe experience, but I continued to cast the line.

Nick had the first legitimate catch of the day. He went to relieve himself in the woods when his rod began to shake(yes, I see the humor). “Nick, you got something!,” Ally barked at Nick. Nick zippered his pants up as he ran down to the dock. His catch was as tough as my shoe catch was. “I almost got it,” he notified us. Not even 5 seconds later a Pokemon came flying off the rod and onto the dock. “It’s a Tentacool!,” Nick said, with a smile on his face. The job wasn’t finished though.

“Nidorino, go!,” he said, knowing he’d have to weaken the stun Tentacool. “Horn Drill.” Nidorino drove his horn right at Tentacool, severely harming it. Tentacool lashed back though, launching bubbles from it’s tentacles. It was a Bubblebeam attack, and it cut off Nidorino’s speed advantage. “Headbutt it,” Nick ordered back. Nidorino charged right back at Tentacool, slamming the creature down hard to the deck. “One more time,” Nick told his Pokemon. But Tentacool had a defense for the Headbutt, as Tentacool threw out his tentacles and wrapped them around Nidorino. Tentacool then use Poison Sting from it’s tentacles and injected Nidorino with poison. Nick showed concern for his Nidorino, but also liked how feisty this wild Tentacool was. “Nidorino, Focus Energy.” Nidorino focused it’s mind and broke away from the tentacles. “Now finish it off with Fury Attack.” Nidorino lunged at Tentacool with consecutive tackles, knocking the jellyfish out of commission. “Pokeball, go!,” Nick said as he tossed the Pokeball in Tentacool’s direction. Tentacool wasn’t able to put up a fight and Nick had a new Pokemon.

“You showed a lot of patience out there, sweety,” Ally told Nick. Nick laughed, “it was all to Nidorino’s credit he said,” calling Nidorino back to it’s Pokeball. “I hope I can catch one soon. I’m getting kind of tired,” I complained.

Someone must’ve heard my complaints because not even a couple minutes later something had bit my line. “It’s a Pokemon!,” I said, “cause it’s tugging the line.” The fight with this Pokemon was much easier than the Tentacool or Red Wing Boot than came before. Within seconds of reeling in the line, I had brought on dock a nice brand spanking new Magikarp. Nick giggled to himself while I sat in disbelief. Then I laughed at my misfortune and started to point at Magikarp. “That’s not nice, JC,” Ally scolded me. “Magikarp didn’t do anything wrong,” she commented. “Yeah it did,” I replied. “It got in the way of me catching a good water Pokemon.” Nick couldn’t help but laugh. “Besides, it’s not like you’d want the Magikarp,” I told her. “Sure I would….., but I didn’t catch it so it’d be wrong for me to have it,” she said covering herself. I gave her a ‘whatever’ look and released Magikarp back into the water. Ally looked disappointed in me, but I’d rather have her disappointed than try and battle with a Magikarp.

“Hey, what’s that?,” I said pointing to a light that seemed to be coming from underwater, not to far from the dock. Ally and Nick didn’t have the fondest idea what it was. “I’m going in,” I told them, as I took off my shirt. “What are you doing!?!?!,” Ally questioned me. It was too late. I was already in the water. The light was coming from the seafloor, about 15 feet deep. I dove deeper to discover the light was actually a Pokemon. I quickly swam back to the dock and told Nick and Ally of my discovery.

“It’s a Pokemon?,” Ally asked. “Yeah, it looks really cool,” I replied. “What DID it look like?,” Nick queried me. “Well, it was basically blue and it had these two bulbs on it’s head that were bigger than the rest of it’s body and they seemed to be giving off the light I saw,” I told them. “Chinchou,” Ally and Nick said in unison. “Whatever it is, I want it,” I told them. I went underwater again, but this time noticed that the Chinchou was sleeping. It was going to be hard for me to catch it underwater so I had to think up a different strategy. I came up for air several times while thinking of a plan. It finally came to me. I was going to antagonize the Chinchou. Without hesitation, I jumped back down into the water and approached the Pokemon. I began poking the Chinchou until it finally woke up. I then quickly swam back to shore as the grumpy Pokemon followed me. Chinchou was now on the sand, right where I wanted it.

“Cyndaquil, we’re about to catch you a new buddy,” I told Cyndaquil, sending him into battle. “Quick Attack.” Cyndaquil was like a flash, throwing it’s body right into Chinchou’s. Chinchou didn’t waste much time though, delivering a Take Down attack right back at Cyndaquil. Cyndaquil seemed to take the brunt of the two attacks. Chinchou then summoned more electricity to it’s bulbs with a Charge attack. “Cyndaquil, throw off the attack with a Smokescreen,” I commanded. Chinchou lost not only focus on the Charge attack, but couldn’t find Cyndaquil in the Smokescreen. “Cyndaquil, now use Dig and finish it off.” The Smokescreen finally cleared for Chinchou, but it couldn’t find Cyndaquil who had dug underground. Cyndaquil then popped up out of the ground, sending Chinchou into the air and then back to the ground. “Pokeball, go!,” I shouted as the ball flew through the air. I had caught my second Pokemon.

“You surprised me,” Ally told me, “and scared me. Don’t you ever go underwater like that again.” “It was worth it,” I replied. I help my Pokeball with Chinchou in it all the way back to the tent. Ally hadn’t caught anything and gave up for the night, saying she’d try again tomorrow.

I laid in my sleeping bag for an hour, but couldn’t fall asleep. Couldn’t say the same for Ally and Nick though, who were snoring it up side by side. I looked at Ally while she was sleeping and remembered back to when she said she’d actually battle with that Magikarp. A smile came upon myself as an evil though crossed my mind; I was going to catch Ally a Magikarp.

I slowly stepped towards Ally’s side of the tent and reached in her bag. I pulled out the first empty Pokeball I could find and slowly crept out of the tent. I went and sat on the dock for a good 45 minutes before something bit the line. And it happened to be a Magikarp. I pulled the Pokemon onto the dock, as it flopped around frantically. I threw Ally’s Pokeball at the Magikarp, and within seconds Ally had a 4th Pokemon. One that she didn’t even know about.

I hurried back to the tent, giggling as I placed the Pokeball back into Ally’s bag. I slowly drifted off to sleep with a smile on my face.

I was last to wake up the next morning, as Nick and Ally were already up eating breakfast. I let my brand new Chinchou out to get used to the group. Chinchou didn’t seem that accepting of me at first, but Cyndaquil began talking to it, and it seems to like me a bit more. “So Ally, you gonna catch a Pokemon today?,” I asked her. “Yeah, I’m going to go out right after I’m done eating,” she responded. I couldn’t wait. I even went over and helped her clean everything up.

Ally didn’t bother fishing this time. She decided to search a long the beach for a Pokemon. “It’s a Shellder!,” Ally exclaimed, pointing to the Pokemon buried in the sand. “Eevee, we’re gonna bring him this one,” she said sending her Eevee into battle. “Tackle it deep in to the sand so it can’t attack.” Eevee did so and Shellder was done before the battle even started. “Yay!,” Ally said in celebration. “Pokeball, go!,” she said throwing out her Pokeball. She couldn’t have predicted what happened next.

“Magikarp!?!?!,” she cried out. I began laughing hysterically. “I confess,” I said, still laughing, “I did it.” Ally looked at me with a crooked eye. “Why’d you do this?,” she questioned me. “Well you said you would battle with a Magikarp. And now you have one.” I couldn’t stop laughing. Ally looked disappointed, but then looked back at me. “10 bucks says my Magikarp can beat your Chinchou.” “You’re on.”

“Chinchou, you ready, buddy?” Chinchou nodded and it was on. “Tackle it, Chinchou.” Chinchou nailed Magikarp sending the flopping fish backwards. “Magikarp….Splash.” I started crying I was laughing so hard. I then began pointing as I laughed, at the Magikarp, which I now regret.

“It’s evolving!,” Ally screamed. It was true. Ally’s dumb Magikarp had turned into a ferocious Gyarados, and I was in trouble. “Chinchou, Spark attack!” Gyarados was too quick, easily dodging the move. “Gyarados, Twister!” Gyarados formed a cyclone that scooped up Chinchou and threw him through the air. Chinchou was done.

“YESSS!!!,” Ally yelled. She hugged her new Pokemon as I ran over to check on Chinchou. I went over and told Ally that it was fun battling, as her Gyarados grunted at me. “Where’s my 10 bucks?,” Ally asked. “Whoa whoa whoa…I agreed if Magikarp beat Chinchou, but techinically it was Gyarados who beat Chinchou,” I replied. “Yeah yeah,” she said as we packed up our stuff, “save it for the judges”.

DannyBoy
14th July 2003, 01:29 AM
This is pretty good. A lot of pokemon were caught and that is ok. Ally got a great pokemon. I knew it wopuld be mention cause of the title but I didn't know it could be caught. It had ok length and could have still had some more description. Just keep trying and it will get better!

Meganium
14th July 2003, 08:33 AM
Great Chapter, Description couldve been better, and it was kinda short it was very intrigining (sp) great plot. Keep Up the good work, Keep Up.

ThePhenom
17th July 2003, 01:21 PM
I'm really sorry I haven't been posting guys. I've been handling some business else where, but I would never forget this. Anyway, here's the first cliffhanger in the series. I know it's short, but it's atleast a 2 parter. Hope you like. :P

Chapter 5: Adversity In Mulberry(Part I)

We finally arrived in Mulberry Town. Our jaws dropped once we set foot in the quiet, but quaint town. Mulberry was decorated in ribbons, streamers, and balloons that seemed to stretch to the farthest places in town. We were starving, but we wanted to know what time the festivities started that night before we ate.

“Excuse me,” I asked, pulling aside this kid who was in front of the Mulberry Pokemon Center. “What time does the Water Tournament start this evening?,” I queried him. “A couple hours or two from now,” he replied. “You competing or just there to be a spectator?,” he asked us back. “All 3 of us are competing,” he I told him, pointing back to Nick and Ally. “Then there’s a good chance I might face one of you guys tonight,” he responded. “My name’s Vance,” he chuckled, “you must be new around here seeing as you don’t recognize me.” “As a matter of face we came here just for the tournament,” I told him. “We’re actually from Gainsboro.” “Oh,” he paused. “The site of the PRPC,” he continued. “Hopefully I’ll be there this year,” he concluded.

“Why would we recognize you?” I asked him, bringing back his earlier comments. “Well I’m quite popular around Mulberry. You see, I’m the reigning Mulberry Tournament champion, and I’m trying to be the first trainer in 50 years on the competition to repeat as champion. I’ve been training for this night since I won last year,” he replied. “Hopefully I’ll be successful tonight, but it’s never easy,” he commented. “Yeah, I can’t wait,” I told him, as Ally pulled me away. “Sorry to cut the conversation short,” I told Vance. “Make sure you sign up for the tournament, otherwise you can’t participate,” he said as the three of us began to walk towards a restaurant.

“Vance must be really good,” I told Ally as we sat down to eat. “I just wonder what Pokemon he uses though.”

“That shouldn’t be important to you, JC,” Ally said. “Your Chinchou is part electric and has electric attacks, which are strong against all Water pokemon. You have a clear advantage going into the tournament.”

I didn’t really take into account Chinchou’s advantage over other Water Pokemon because it didn’t help in the battle with Ally’s Gyarados, but now that I thought about it, I could very well win the tournament tonight. I just have to keep that positive mindset while I’m battling.

We sped through our meal and headed towards the Mulberry Green in downtown Mulberry, where we’d register for the tournament.

“Please state your name and the name of the Pokemon you’ll be using in the competition tonight,” asked the woman working the booth right outside the Green.

“JC Corr and I’ll be using my Chinchou.”

“Ally Corr and I’ll be using my Gyarados.”

“Nick Durocher and I’ll be using my Tentacool.”

We were all set for the event so we decided to look around the Green, which was fenced off for the tournament tonight. Inside the gates I saw the battlefield, which had a pond in the center to accommodate the Water Pokemon who were limited to battles in water. As we continued our walk we saw trainers talking with their Pokemon, trying to psyche them up for battle. We saw everything, from Poliwhirls to Squirtles to Seakings. Seeing all the different Pokemon got me hyped for battle.

The time had come and the gates had open. We filed onto the Green as the lights lit up the battlefield. Goosebumps began to form on my arm. I was nervous because this would by my first battle in front of lots of people, but I was anxious to prove myself. The tournament began right of the bat, but I was too busy prepping my Chinchou, so I missed the first couple matches.

“Our next match,” the announcer spoke, “will be Nick and his Tentacool versus Shelton and his Seadra.”

Nick made his way down the bleachers and took his spot on the field. His opponent, Shelton, did the same. “Begin.”

“Go Tentacool,” Nick said, throwing his Pokeball into the pond in the field’s center. “Go Seadra,” Shelton yelled, doing the same as Nick.

“Tentacool, use Acid.” Tentacool seeped out acid poison from the red jewel on the center of it’s head and began to fling it at Seadra.

“Seadra, dive underwater.” Seadra was unable to avoid the attack underwater, as the Acid got cut off at the water’s surface.

“Now Seadra, Whirlpool.” Seadra began twisting itself in circles underwater, and the consistency made the water flow up out of the water, creating a Whirlpool. Tentacool was caught in the Whirlpool and tossed hard back into the water.

“Seadra, finish it with Hydro Pump.” Seadra pumped out huge streams of water, all in Tentacool’s direction.

“Tenatcool, Barrier and protect yourself.” Tentacool got the Barrier up in time, sending out an impenetrable light from it’s eyes that formed the wall.

“Tenta, now use Giga Drain.” Tentacool let out a green beam from it’s red jewel that sucked life out of Seadra and replenished it in Tentacool. Seadra couldn’t avoid the attack, and suffered severe damage from the grass-type move.

“Seadra, Agility.” Seadra bounced around so quickly that Tentacool didn’t have a shot at picking out where it was.

“Tentacool, Bubblebeam all of them.” The Bubblebeam finally hit the real Seadra. “Now use Hydro Pump,” Nick ordered.

“Seadra, Smokescreen quickly.” Seadra puffed out smog from it’s mouth, making anything on the field impossible to see. Tentacool began to look around for Seadra, but to no avail.

“Seadra, finish it off with Dragonbreath!” Seadra puffed up what appeared to be fire and ‘fired’ it at Tentacool.

Tentacool saw the flame coming through the smog and quickly dove underwater. “Now use Dive, Tentacool.” It came up from under the water, surprising Seadra and sending it flying against the rock siding of the pool. Seadra was hurt, but felt it even more necessary to help Shelton in this situation.

Shelton shook his fist in celebration as he then pointed at his Seadra who was evolving. Nick put his hand over his eyes, realizing the battle had just been set level again.

“Kingdra, Twister.” Kingdra sprayed water out of it’s mouth in the form of a circle onto the water. The pressure was so high that the water rose out of itself and had formed a cyclone.

“Tentacool, Ice Beam the Twister down.” Tentacool focused in on the twister and sent a beam of cold ice from it’s jewel, straight to the twister. The water from the twister was basically frozen in place.

“Now Ice Beam Kingdra,” Nick ordered. “Counter with Agility, Kingdra.” Kingdra’s speed was too overwhelming, and Tentacool didn’t have enough energy left to Ice Beam everything he saw.

“Kingdra, use Disable.” Kingdra formed a black beam from it’s two horns and shot it at Tentacool, who was too tired to avoid the attack, thus leaving itself open to getting paralyzed. Nick knew he and Tentacool were in trouble as he let out a “no!!.”

“Kingdra, finish it off with Dragonbreath.” This time Shelton and Kingdra had everything on their side, opposed to when the last Dragonbreath was shot. Tentacool was engulfed in the flame of the Dragonbreath, and once the attack was over Tentacool was down and out. “Tentacool is unable to battle. Kingdra is the winner.”

A disappointed look fell on Ally’s face, but she stood up and applauded the great match. I, on the other hand, only learned one thing from seeing Nick lose like that:

There’s no way I can win this tournament.

To Be Continued…

DannyBoy
17th July 2003, 03:58 PM
That was a good chapter. I cant wait for the other half of i. That was a really good battle. IT was long and you described ok. COuld have been a little more descriptive but its good. I can't tell on length till I see the other part but it looks good. That was a good battle. Kingdra was very strong and so was Tentacool. Keep it up!

Chris 2.1
18th July 2003, 07:20 PM
I read this last Chapter, it's good work so far, and I really enjoyed that battle between Tentcool and Seadra. My only complaint - the evolution felt skipped. Change it, work on it...

Seadra grew taller and less dumpy. The white light soread eisily across its body, allowing it to morph into a more suitable shape and form. The snout extended slightly, the poisoned fins sunk into the creatures back, giving it a rounded body effect, and once the light had faded away, Kingdra appeared in the water, shooting darts of water upwards into the sky.

See? it isn't too hard, so go for it!

ThePhenom
18th July 2003, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I just didn't wanna make a big deal about an evolution because it wasn't one of the main character's pokemon. I probably woulda went into more detail if Tentacool evolved. Thanks a lot though. The more readers the better. :yes:

Drade130
19th July 2003, 02:13 PM
his is good fic. I like lot. the quilster! i love that pt. cant wait to see how chinchou fares. and gyrados (SP) too.

ThePhenom
19th July 2003, 04:02 PM
I'll post the next chapter sometime tonight. No worries. :yes:

I might as well just catch everyone up if they haven't paid attention to every little detail. :P

JC
Role: Main Charcter
Relation: Ally's Brother
Badges: 0
Pokemon: 2
- Cyndaquil, Starter Pokemon
- Chinchou, Caught near Mulberry

Ally
Role: Support Character
Relation: JC's Sister
Badges: 6
Pokemon: 4(with her)
- Eevee, Starter Pokemon; Given to her by Nick
- Loudred, Caught as Whismur
- Gyarados, Caught as Magikarp near Mulberry
- Nidorina, Given to her for Valentine's Day by Nick

Nick
Role: Support Character
Relation: Ally's Boyfriend
Badges: 8
Pokemon: 4(with him)
- Torkoal, Starter Pokemon; Given to him by Matt
- Tyrogue, Caught at Periwinkle Pass in the Magenta Mountains
- Tentacool, Caught near Mulberry
- Nidorino, Given to him for Valentine's Day by Ally

ThePhenom
20th July 2003, 02:08 AM
Hey guys. Well I stayed up till about 3 in the morning to get this done for you. I did the best I could, and it's the longest chapter to date. I also feel like it has the best battles, but I'll let you judge that. Anyway, without further ado...

Chapter 6: Adversity In Mulberry(Part II)

I felt bad for Nick, as I watched him pick his head up and shake Shelton’s hand. Nick had to battle with a newly caught Pokemon and I don’t think the match really portrayed the kind of trainer he really is. Kingdra clearly overmatched Tentacool at every phase in the battle, but Nick wasn’t going to let that be an excuse. He not put all his faith in his Tentacool, giving him a reason to fight on, but I think the courage he displayed on the battlefield gave Ally and I a new incentive to win the tournament. No, we didn’t want to show up Nick by winning. We wanted to prove that we could back up one another when one of us is down. And since Nick was down, it was the duty of Ally and I to pick up the slack and show that we weren’t the weak links.

“You did great, Hun,” Ally reassured Nick as he climbed up the bleachers. “I tried my best, I guess,” Nick said modestly. “You earned a lot of people’s respect out there, Nick,” I told him”. “The was easily the best battle of the night so far. I just hope when I go out there I don’t get humiliated.”

“You’ll do fine,” Nick comforted me. “Besides, Chinchou won’t let you down,” he added, rubbing the top of Chinchou’s head. I briefly looked down at Chinchou to make sure he was in the right frame of mind for battle, but I was interrupted by the announcer.

“It’ll be tough to follow such an act,” the announcer chuckled, “but these next two competitors will try to put on a good show. Our next match will be Bethany and her Qwilfish against Ally and her Gyarados.”

Nick gave Ally a kiss for good luck as she grabbed her Pokeball and headed down the stairs. “Good luck, Ally,” I yelled. “Make us proud.” As Ally made her way down to the field, I noticed her opponent, Bethany. She was beautiful. She was a brunette with pigtails and her smile just beemed with beauty. “Get a room,” Nick said to me, elbowing me in the ribs. “I thought Ally told you to stop that,” I retaliated.

“Go Qwilfish,” Bethany said, her eyes like the burgundy pearls on Tentacool’s frame. “Pokeball, go,” Ally said, releasing her Gyarados into the center pool. Chuckling began amongst the crowd as the size difference between the two Pokemon was highly comical.

“Qwilfish, let’s start it off with a Tackle.” Qwilfish darted straight at Gyarados, and Ally didn’t try to make a move and counter it. Instead, Qwilfish continued it’s path head on into Gyarados. The move backfired, as Qwilfish took the brunt of the attack. Qwilfish’s physical attacks weren’t going to play a big role in this match.

“It’s going to take a lot more than that,” Ally yelled across the field. “Gyarados, Bite it.”
Gyarados stared down Qwilfish with it’s big fangs and dove straight at the piney creature. Qwilfish dodged the attack and Gyarados hit the water head on.

“Qwilfish, Bubblebeam.” Qwilfish opened it’s mouth and spouted out bubble after bubble. Gyarados wasn’t able to avoid the Bubblebeam, and was slowed down from the attack.

“Gyarados, let’s make it rain.” Gyarados sent a beam to the sky from it’s main antenna and within seconds clouds formed over the field. Rain then began to come down on both competitors.

“Qwilfish, Blizzard!,” Bethany let out. Qwilfish sucked in huge amounts of air, then transformed the air into cold ice particles, and blew the Blizzard attack at Gyarados.

“Gyarados, Dive underwater and avoid the attack.” Gyarados got out of the way in the nick of time, just barely dipping it’s head out of the way of the attack.

“We got Gyarados right where we want it,” Bethany chuckled, as a beautiful smirk rose upon her face. “Qwilfish, jump onto the land platform and Ice Beam the water to lock in Gyarados.” Qwilfish once again took in air, but instead of releasing it in particles, it shot one big Ice Beam at the water, instantly freezing it on contact, as well as sealing in Gyarados.

The battle had come to a sudden standstill. Qwilfish was standing in the center platform surrounded by what was now an icy field, while Gyarados lay stuck in the frozen water. Ally had time to think of a strategy though, as Qwilfish couldn’t attack until Gyarados had gotten out of the ice. “Fire Blast,” yelled Nick from the bleachers. “Fire Blast,” he repeated.

“Gyarados, melt your way out of the ice with a Fire Blast,” Ally ordered. Gyarados opened us it’s mouth and it’s hot breathe quickly melted the surrounding ice. Then he let let out a ball of fire that turned the whole pond back into water. Qwilfish and Bethany were stunned by how quickly Gyarados had gotten out.

“Gyarados, now use Earthquake.” Gyarados quickly dove hard right at the hard cement bottom of the pond. Gyarados went head first into the cement bottom of the pool. The force of the blow actually shattered the center platform, and Qwilfish was sent flying through the air, landing on the ground of the battlefield.

“Qwilfish is unable to battle. Gyarados is the winner.”

Ally didn’t say a word. She simply ran to the outskirts of the pond and jumped in, swimming towards her Gyarados. Nick and I cheered her on from the crowd as we gave her a standing ovation. She had made it into the round of 16 with the win, and it was up to me to make it two out of three for the group. And what do ya know?…

“In our next match, it will be Seymour and his Vaporeon versus JC and his Chinchou.”

I passed Ally as I walked down the bleachers. She gave me a hug and wished me good luck. All I could think about as I walked onto the field was Vaporeon. I’ve always heard about how strong it was in battle. Now it was time to see it in action.

“Go,” Seymour shouted, releasing his Vaporeon onto land for the battle. “Go, Chinchou,” I said throwing the ball on land as well.

“Vaporeon, Take Down.” Vaporeon leaped off it’s hind legs and dove head first into Chinchou, sending it backwards onto it’s back. Chinchou hopped right back up and shook off any damage though.

“Chinchou, Water Pulse.” Chinchou focused itself and then blew out rings of water that surrounded Vaporeon, hurting Eevee’s water evolution to a certain extent.

“We can take that,” Seymour said. “Aurora Beam.” Vaporeon flipped up it’s tail and released a quick beam of ice at Chinchou. Chinchou wasn’t quick enough, and the beam hit dead on, blasting Chinchou into the water.

Chinchou wasn’t the best swimmer by any stretch of the imagination, but an idea popped into my head that wouldn’t help me win the battle, but it’d do it in a short period of time. I just took into account the fact that Chinchou is able to stay underwater for long periods of time, but that Vaporeon needs to come up for air more often.

“Chinchou, Dive underwater and stay there.” Chinchou did that, diving a good ten feet down into the water, to the point where it was barely visible.

“Vaporeon, don’t just stand there, go into the water and attack it,” Seymour shouted at his Pokemon. Vaporeon leaped into the pool and that’s when I took action.

“Chinchou, come out of the water, now.” Chinchou quickly rose to the water’s surface and onto the ground, all this going on as Vaporeon hits the water.

“Now, Thunderbolt the water.” Chinchou’s two bulbs rubbed together and suddenly a bolt from the sky came down and hit the water. Vaporeon’s speed didn’t help as much in the water, and it wasn’t able to get to shore in time, as the Thunderbolt sizzled everything in the water.

“Vaporeon is unable to battle. Chinchou is the winner.”

I looked up in the bleachers at Nick and Ally who were cheering and screaming as loud as they could. I bent down on my knees as Chinchou hopped over to me and hugged me. I now joined Ally in the round of 16. I placed Chinchou back in it’s Pokeball and ran up to see Ally and Nick. “Great job, JC,” both said simultaneously. I didn’t even say a word. I just nodded at them with a smile on my face. There’s nothing like winning your first Pokemon battle. It’s true.

The first round wrapped up a battle or two after mine and an intermission was given. The three of us walked down to a little street vender and got something to eat. I don’t know about Ally, but my mind was totally focused on my second round battle. Sure, winning my first one over a great Pokemon like Vaporeon was a tremendous feeling, but my hot streak isn’t done. I want to reel off a couple more upsets. I want to take home the Mulberry Tournament Title; a.k.a. a stepping stone for future Pokemasters.

We made our way back to our seats, and Ally and I couldn’t help but feel like we were going to be matching up against one another in the next round. I didn’t want to mention it out of the fear of jinxing us, so I just kept my mouth shut. I’m sure Nick didn’t want to see us battle each other again either.

“Welcome, everybody,” the announcer spoke, “to the second round of the Mulberry Town Tournament. We have just 16 competitors left in the competiton, and after these next few battles it will be down to 8. Now without further ado, let’s start the second round. And our first second round matchup will pit JC and his Chinchou….versus Ash and his Kingler.”

I couldn’t believe I had to battle already. It wasn’t up to me though. I just had to keep the same frame of mind as the last battle and not lose my focus. Ally gave me a hug as I grabbed Chinchou’s Pokeball. Nick gave me his trademark punch in the ribs, and I was ready for battle.

“Go, Chinchou,” I yelled, releasing my Pokemon. “Kingler, let’s go get him,” Ash said. Ash looked a little like me, with that hat and everything. “I’m not going to fall into the trap you put on Vaporeon. Kingler’s staying above water tonight,” he shouted across the field. I try not listening to what my opponent’s have to say, as it’s usually just a part of their mind games.

“Chinchou, let’s start this off with a Shock Wave.” Chinchou’s bulbs rubbed together and a spot of electricity formed and headed in Kingler’s direction.

“Bat it away, Kingler.” Kingler swung it’s big claw at the electric ball and knocked it away. “Going to have to try harder. Kingler, Mud Slap.” Kingler dug it’s claws into the ground and began hurling mud at Chinchou. Several globs of the mud landed on Chinchou’s bulbs. This was a problem for me because the Chinchou’s electricity was basically shut off because of the mud’s resistance. “You’re going to have to find a new way to win,” Ash said, laughing.

“Chinchou, Take Down.” Chinchou charged full speed at Kingler. “Kingler, Harden.” Chinchou was too weak to budge Kingler, and felt recoil after connection with Kingler’s hard body.

“Kingler, Crabhammer,”. Kingler put his claw back and then swatted Chinchou hard with it, across the back, sending my Pokemon flying into the pond. The move was devastating and I didn’t know if Chinchou could hold up. Chinchou somehow managed to get out of the water by itself though. Then it’s bulbs started to spark. The water had washed away the mud from Kingler’s mudshot.

“Chinchou, Thunderbolt.” Chinchou rubbed it’s two bulbs together and a bolt of lightning came from the sky.

“Kingler, quickly, Dig underground.” Kingler shoveled down below the ground with it’s claws, with the ground taking the blow of the Thunderbolt.

“We’re not going to let him get away that easy,” I yelled to Chinchou. “Follow Kingler into the hole.” Chinchou dove right into the hole, but no progress seemed to have been made, as nothing happened for about a minute. Then all of a sudden the ground started to shake and a bolt of lightning came down from the sky and right into the hole. Some of the ground blew up from the blast, as Kingler was thrown high into the sky and hard into the water. Chinchou had ordered a Thunderbolt from in the ground. Only one thing was left.

“Chinchou, Thunder.” Chinchou’s two bulbs rubbed together and then several bolts of lightning came crashing down into the water where Kingler was lying. Kingler had been fried, eventhough Ash had vowed not to fall into the trap Vaporeon and Seymour had fallen into.

“Kingler is unable to battle. Chinchou is the winner.”

Once again, I looked up to the bleachers and found comfort as I saw smiles on Nick and Ally’s faces. I grabbed Chinchou and held him close. I was now catapulted into the round of 8; a.k.a. the quarterfinals. I ran up the bleachers, probably tripping on every step. I didn’t care though. My string of luck hadn’t run out yet, and I was hoping that neither would Ally’s. “Dude, you’re so much better than I ever could’ve expected. Especially this early in your training,” Nick said. No punch in the stomach this time. Ally just hugged me. “I can’t wait to tell mom how much you’ve done already,” she said, her arms still around me. “It’s your turn soon, Al,” I said, bringing her back to reality. “This isn’t over.” “You’re right,” Nick replied. “Ally, you have as good a chance as JC does to win this thing now. There’s more to be accomplished.” Ally nodded her head and knew what she had to do.

“In our next second round matchup, we will have Ally and her Gyarados versus Sharon and her Lapras. Ladies, please make it down to the field.”

Ally gave Nick and a hug as she walked down the bleachers and through the entrance gates. Ally cracked her knuckles and stretched out her neck. I don’t know if she was trying to intimidate her opponent or if she was just stiff from sitting so long.

“Go, Gyarados,” Ally announced, throwing her Pokemon into the center pool. “Lapras, do the same,” Sharon said. Her Lapras was one of the most beautiful Pokemon I had seen. Then it let out a huge roar, and my whole perception about the beast changed. This didn’t look like it was going to be a pretty battle though, as both Pokemon were quite large, not leaving a whole lot of space for battling.

“Gyarados, Tackle it.” Gyarados lunged across the water, throwing itself at Lapras. Lapras stood up the hit though, and neither Pokemon felt any harm. They merely stared at each other, hoping the other would back down. That however, wasn’t the case with these stubborn Pokemon.

“Lapras, Body Slam.” Lapras threw itself at Gyarados, but again, to no avail, as Gyarados stood up Lapras. Another strategy was going to be needed if either Ally or Sharon wanted to prevail.

“Gyarados, we’re going to take this battle underwater. Dive”. The big blue monster dove underwater, a place Lapras was not accustomed to.

“Lapras, just stay there,” Sharon said. “You won’t get hurt if you stay where you are.” She just set herself up for what was to happen next.

“Gyarados, come up and knock Lapras out of the water.” Gyarados sped right up through the water, and hit Lapras from underneath, sending it out of the pool and onto land. “Good job, Gary,” Ally shouted to her beast of a Pokemon.

“Lapras, use Dragonbreath.” Lapras opened it’s mouth and blew out it’s fiery breath, targeted on Gyarados. Gyarados couldn’t avoid the ball of steam, and was dealted it’s first severe blow of the match. “Hang in there, Gary,” Ally pleaded.

“If they want to get into Dragon’s play, how about we do a Dragon Dance.” Gyarados then began moving back in forth in the water, with it’s eyes changing colors as it swayed from side to side. Sharon and her Lapras seemed to be confused by the move.

“Lapras, Ice Beam.” Lapras opened it’s mouth up and took in air, and spit out a frosty beam at the Dragon Dancing Gyarados.

“Gary, underwater, quickly.” Gyarados got underwater just in time, avoiding the Ice Beam. The underwater defense was more than just shelter for Gyarados. Because Lapras was still on land, it didn’t know when or where Gyarados was going to pop up out of the water. ‘Stay under, just a bit longer,’ Ally thought to herself.

“Now, Gyarados, use Dragon Rage.” Gyarados popped out of the water at a completely different spot in the pond, which stunned Sharon’s Lapras. Gyarados let out several fiery streams out of it’s mouth and they formed a barrier around Lapras, hurting the beast by the second. “Now use Fire Blast.” Gyarados blew out all it’s hot air in a chain of heat, that was aimed for Lapras. Lapras couldn’t move because of Dragon Rage’s grip and fell prey to Gyarados’s deadly Fire Blast.

“Lapras is unable to battle. Gyarados is your winner.”

Wow. The Corr kids had come to Mulberry and were kicking butts and taking names. Ally had joined me in the quarterfinals, and I couldn’t have felt more happy for her. She rushed up the steps after recalling her Gyarados. All three of us hugged, as we felt our first real connection on our voyage. “This night’s still young,” Nick told the both of us. “You guys haven’t even accomplished the main goal in this tournament; winning it”. Ally and I then hugged again, knowing our chances in the tournament had grown even more. The second round finally concluded and we were awarded another intermission for our worries. I spent mine giving Chinchou a pep talk while Nick gave Ally some more advice. “I don’t care how much farther we go,” I told Chinchou, “you’ve done more than I ever could have imagined. I’m so glad I went in the water and looked for you when Ally told me not to.” I hugged Chinchou just as the second intermission had come to a closure.

“Welcome again, everybody,” the announce spoke, “to the quarterfinals of the Mulberry Town Tournament. We have just 8 competitors left in the competition. If you think the first two rounds have been intense, wait till you see the trainers combat their Pokemon during the final three. Anyway, without further ado, I’ll introduce our first quarterfinal matchup. It will be JC and his Chinchou versus Ally and her Gyarados.”

It was inevitable. It was only a matter of time before we had to face each other. At least this was going to guarantee one of us a spot in the semi-finals. I tried not to think like that though. I had something to prove, whether she’s my sister or not. She defeated me last time. I can’t let it happen twice. This is the rematch; Chinchou Vs. Gyarados.

To be continued...

DannyBoy
20th July 2003, 02:17 AM
That was a really good chapter. Thous battles were amazing. The first 2 battles could have went on a little little bit longer but it was still good. CHinchu has the advantage and is really strong already. I wonder if it will evolve next chapter to beat Gyrados. GUees i gotta wait! The length was perfect to. Keep it up!

Meganium
21st July 2003, 09:00 AM
Wow. I'm speechless, this is by far the best chapter. Descriptions great, length is Perfect. Battle description is the best, One problem though, how could a newly captured Chinchou know the best electric move in existence Thunder? I was just wonderin, Anyway Keep up the good work, Keep Up.

ThePhenom
21st July 2003, 01:42 PM
Just because it's newly captured doesn't mean it's like a baby. Chinchou proved it's a strong Poke. :)

BTW, next chapter should be up by tonight. :yes:

And how come no one caught Ash's appearance in the last chapter? :P

RJdude
21st July 2003, 05:46 PM
Well, you have a pretty good fic going here.

The characters are good. Nick was a jerk at the beginning, but now's he's better (or is he?). JC and Ally are good.

The descibitoion could be a little bit better, but it's still pretty good. The last chapter was, by far, the best.

Anyway, keep it up.

Team Rocket's Lugia
22nd July 2003, 03:26 PM
Very amazing fic! Your descriptions are awsome, and yes, that last chapter was superb!

But on little note, Pokemon are learning moves too quickly, and have more than 4? I mean, a just caught tentacool with giga drain? Did Nick teach it a TM that quickly? And I think Garados had 8 moves! Splash, Tackle, Earth Quake, Fire Blast, Dragon Rage, Dragon Dance, Dragonbreath and Dive! and I think Tentacool, Chinchou and Loudred also had a amazing amount of moves!

But yeah, a very great fic, keep it up!

ThePhenom
22nd July 2003, 03:35 PM
You guys are living in the game way too much. :P

This is more based on what the show shows. For example, in the show Pokemon know as many moves as possible. There's no limit. And just because a Pokemon's newly caught doesn't mean it's not as strong. I'm not doing the TM thing either, cause I don't know how those things would work in the Pokemon world. Thanks TRL for reading. :)

I'm working on Chapter 7 right now. Should be up shortly. :wave:

Andrew
22nd July 2003, 06:35 PM
Verrry interesting dude, seems pretty well so far, although I was amazed the conflict between Nick was dispelled so quickly. Seems Ok. Just a few things I noticed with the earlier battles, a new line of speech goes on a new line. That way its easier to understand. And give the Pokemon some personality please, they're lacking in it greatly. Those are my only snipes, apart from that, good work and good luck in the future!

Keep writing.

Team Rocket's Lugia
22nd July 2003, 07:21 PM
Oh, okay, but more moves means more intresting battles!

Can't wait till Gyarados vs Chinchou! I think Chinchou will evolve ;)

ThePhenom
22nd July 2003, 07:22 PM
Thanks, Oz. You might think the beef with Nick has gone away for good, but 'oh contrear' or whatever those crazy french people say. This story ain't over. :yes:

As for the Pokemon personality, I wanted to make sure I defined all the human characters and their personalities before I went on about the Pokemon. Don't worry, how the Pokemon handle certain situations will become evident. :P

And I've gotten better with the new line of speech and stuff. I mainly started to notice the problem I had when read RJ's fic and noticed how good it was and how it was easier to comprehend. :)

And without further ado... :o

Chapter 7: Adversity In Mulberry(Part III)

“Go Chinchou,” I said, releasing my Chinchou. I didn’t want this to become a battle in water because that’d favor the larger Gyarados. Instead, I wanted to keep Chinchou out of the water, so that Gyarados would have to strike from a distance. Chinchou remained on land as Ally got ready.

“Go Gary,” Ally said, releasing Gyarados into the pond. “Good luck, JC,” Ally then shouted across the field. I didn’t expect that. I thought she’d be as fierce as I was at the moment. “You too,” I replied.

“Gyarados, lunge out of the water and use Bite attack,” Ally said, starting off the contest. Gyarados stuck it’s head over Chinchou’s little body and went head first at the little guy. Chinchou avoided the move at the last second, and Gyarados went face-first into the soil.

“Chinchou, Confuse Ray,” I belted out. Chinchou’s bulbs rubbed together and spit out a dark ray that connected with Gyarados. Gyarados appeared dizzy after getting hit with the ray, as it wobbled slowly danced around in a circle.

“Snap out of it, Gary. Use Thrash attack.” Gyarados then began throwing it’s head at Chinchou continuously. Chinchou was sent flying after the first headbutt connected. The onslaught continued and there appeared to be no way to stop it.

“Chinchou, Protect yourself and kill off Gyarados’s Thrash attack.” Chinchou used it’s eyes and built up a wall that shielded itself from Gyarados’s attacks. “Chinchou, now use Hydro Pump.” Chinchou now focused it’s mind on the pond and built up several funnels of water. Chinchou then forced them in Gyarados’s direction.

“Gyarados, Dive to avoid the Hydro Pump.” Gyarados got underwater just in time, avoiding the most powerful water attack known to man. “Gyarados, now come up and show these people how to Dragon Dance.” Gyarados stuck it’s head out from underwater and proceeded to rock back and forth, as it’s eyes changed colors.

“Chinchou, let’s stop all these games. Shock Wave.” Chinchou rubbed it’s bulbs together again and a golden ball of electricity formed. The ball wasn’t headed at Gyarados though. It was headed at the pond’s water.

“Gyarados, get out of the water fast.” Gyarados quickly planted the first half of it’s body on land and then slithered the last half right out of the water, barely missing the Shock Wave attack. “This isn’t your natural habitat, Gary, but we’ll do what we have to,” Ally said. “Let’s do something effective for a change. Gyarados, Earthquake.” Gyarados violently slammed it’s body into the ground, shaking the whole green and causing cracks in the earth. I put my hands over my eyes as I didn’t want to see what the attack would do to poor Chinchou. After several seconds I removed my hands and noticed that Chinchou had survived the attack without any injury. Chinchou had taken itself directly off the ground by planting it’s bulbs on the soil and bouncing up and down as the earth quaked.

"Chinchou, let’s take complete control of this match. Ice Beam.” Chinchou sucked in all the air around and it and formed a ice cold beam that it spit at Gyarados. Gyarados’s speed on land was questionable, as it was unable to avoid the attack. The Ice Beam connected and Gyarados hit the ground hard. “Yay,” I shouted, believing I had moved on to the semi-finals.

“It’s not over yet, little Bro,” Ally yelled across the field, as Gyarados picked it’s head up. “Gary, let’s use some of the energy you have left and even the score with a Hyper Beam.” A ball of light formed on the top of Gyarados’s head and shot across the pond at Chinchou. Chinchou wasn’t fast enough to dodge the attack just like Gyarados earlier, and Chinchou was knocked backwards several dozen feet, landing hard on it’s back. “Yay,” Ally shouted, believing she had moved on to the semi-finals.

“If Gyarados can take an Ice Beam, then Chinchou can survive a Hyper Beam.” Chinchou had survived, but was in horrible shape. He could hardly move and it didn’t look like he could pull off another strong attack. I was stumped on how I could win the battle.

“We’re not going to give Chinchou time to recover. We’re going to finish it off while it’s down. Gary, let’s get a Rain Dance cooking so we can power up for Thunder.” Gyarados began dancing similarly to how it did for Dragon Dance, except it’s head was facing the sky. Within seconds, clouds formed and drops of rain scattered all over the green. Chinchou couldn’t move, as it just whimpered in the rain. The drizzle had now turned into a downpour.

“You ready, Gary?” Ally asked. “Thunder.” Bolts of lightning then rained from the sky, obliterating anything in their path. The brunt of the bolts connected with Chinchou, who laid lifeless on the ground. Seconds after the bolts fell, a sudden explosion went off and smoke filled the field. “What happened?” Ally asked. When the smoke cleared, Chinchou then repearred. He looked revitalized and better than ever. “Ally,” Nick yelled from the stands, “you let Chinchou take advantage of it’s Volt Absorb trait. It took in the electricity and healed itself.” Nick was right. And to make matters worse for Ally, her Thunder attack was so strong that it completely healed Chinchou.

“Time for us to wrap this up,” I said, as the rain continued to pour. “Let’s show these guys how you’re really supposed to pull of a Thunder in the rain.” Chinchou then rubbed it’s two bulbs together and almost instantly bolts of lightning poured down. Gyarados had no chance to evade the attack, as several bolts connected with it’s big snake-like body. It fell hard to the ground, with no further movement. And just like that, the greatest Mulberry Tournament battle in recent memory had come to an end.

“Gyarados is unable to battle. Chinchou is the winner.”

Chinchou ran and jumped into my arms, still boosted from the Thunder Gyarados gave it. I looked across to Ally, thinking I needed to comfort her. But that wasn’t the case. She had a smile on her face as she recalled her Gyarados, who had been beaten for the first time ever. “I’m so proud of you,” she said as she approached me. She then hugged me and the crowd let out a big ‘aww’. A standing ovation then proceeded, as Ally and I bowed. I was quite high on myself, but still, my mission wasn’t complete. I was only in the semi-finals.

I walked back up the steps with Ally towards Nick, who again said that he was proud of me. “You’re into the final four, JC. Just two wins away from something that no one with your lack of Pokemon training has ever come close to.”

All this talk had given me kind of an ego. I mean, I didn’t actually show it by bragging, but the confidence I now had in myself was immeasurable. I think some of my cockiness poured over into certain actions of mine. Instead of watching the remaining three quarterfinal battles, I tried to rest by shutting my eyes and thinking of victory. At this time though, my head had become bigger than my heart. The semi-finals were about to begin, and I couldn’t wait.

Welcome, everybody,” the announcer spoke, “to the semi-finals of the Mulberry Town Tournament. We have just 4 competitors left in the competiton, and after these next two battles it will be down to 2. Now without further ado, let’s start the semi-final round. And our first semi-final matchup will pit JC and his Chinchou versus Vance and his Lombre. Good luck, you two.”

“Dude, did you hear that?” Nick asked me, his hand gripping my shirt. “Yeah, I got to battle the defending champion. Nobody else I’d rather face,” I chuckled. “JC, but he’s got a Lombre. Lombre’s a water and grass type. Chinchou’s electric attacks won’t do much,” Nick told me. “I’ll make them work,” I said, as I walked down the bleachers.

“Nice to see you,” Vance said from across the field. “I had this weird feeling I’d end up facing you. Call it fate if you will.” He then released his Lombre. I was happy to see that this was going to be more of a battle on land.

“Go Chinchou,” I said, releasing my Pokemon. “Take Down attack.” Chinchou jumped off it’s little feet and dove through the air, connecting with Lombre. Lombre took the hit, but didn’t seem to move much from it.

“Going to have to try a little harder with the physical moves,” Vance shouted. “Lombre, Fury Swipes.” Lombre lunged in Chinchou’s direction and furiously swiped Chinchou’s body, harming it to an extent. It was evident to me that Chinchou was still banged up from the last battle.

“Chinchou, Ice Beam.” Chinchou began to suck in air, but Vance wasted no time calling his next attack.

“Lombre, let’s make it Sunny.” Lombre focused it’s mind on the sky and the darkness peeled away and rays of light peaked through the night sky. Meanwhile, Chinchou was about to let out an Ice Beam. The beam leapt out of Chinchou’s mouth and was headed for Lombre, but the hot rays from Lombre’s Sunny Day melted the Beam before it reached it’s target. I stood there stunned, not able to make a sound.

“Now finish it off with Solarbeam,” shouted Vance. I still couldn’t say anything. Lombre’s dish was pointed to the sky and within seconds the solarbeam came crashing down to Earth, taking out my Chinchou. Just like that, my Mulberry run was over.

“Chinchou is unable to battle. Lombre is your winner.”

I quickly recalled Chinchou and headed over in Vance’s direction. “You deserve to win this tournament,” I told him as I reached out my hand to shake his. He put out his and shook my hand back.

I then smiled. I don’t know why. Maybe because I was brought down to Earth. I wasn’t as great as I thought I was. Maybe it really was just beginner’s luck.

“I sucked,” I said, as I looked at Ally and Nick. “No you didn’t,” Ally comforted me. “You made it farther than either of us, and showed the kind of competitor you really are, even shaking Vance’s hand after defeat,” Ally said.

“I hate to break the news to you,” Nick said laughing, “but the Chairman of the PRPC drove in for the semi-finals and was in attendence. He didn’t pick one of your better battlesto come and see,” Nick concluding, punching me in the stomach. I bent over after the punch, attempting to regain my breath. “Take it easy, Nick,” Ally scolded him.

“I don’t want to leave yet. Let’s stay and watch Vance in the championship,” I pleaded with Ally and Nick. “Plus, if Vance wins I get 3rd Place for being the semi-finalist who lost to the champion. I have a lot riding on this match.”

Vance took the field for the championship, trying to become the first trainer to defend his title in the history of the competition. I watched on closely, as did everyone in attendance, including the Pacto Regional Pokemon Championships Chairman.

Vance and his Lombre battled this tall, dark haired guy and his Azumarill. Vance took the upperhand early on in the match, using super effective grass moves like Absorb to combat Azumarill. Azumarill connected with a Double Edge late in the match though and it looked like it was all over for Vance. But a Rain Dance from Azumarill backfired, as Lombre’s Rain Dish trait assisted in replenishing it’s body, giving the upperhand back to Lombre. Lombre then used a final Razor Leaf attack and it was all over for Azumarill, as Vance has successfully defended his title.

I gave him a standing ovation as did Ally and Nick. As did the whole crowd for a matter of fact. He was awarded with a beautiful trophy in the shape of Suicune. The festivities weren’t over for me either. The announcer asked me to come down to pick up my 3rd Place Medal. I wore it proudly, even giving it a kiss. Then the PRPC chairman made his way towards Vance.

“Vance, for your efforts over the last two years in the Mulberry Town Tournament, I and everyone associated with the Pacto Regional Pokemon Championships would like to offer you a spot in the tournament. No collection of badges required. We at the PRPC feel that gym battling isn’t the only reason why one should be allowed to participate in the event. A show of good, consistent hard work is all we need to see, and over the last two years you’ve proven yourself in that department.” The chairman then shook his hand and left the green as Vance’s standing ovation continued.

Ally, Nick, and I left Mulberry and set up shop for the night on the outskirts of town. I laid face down in my sleeping bag when Ally crawled over to me. “I’m really proud of you for what you did today,” she said. “I take back what I said the other day about your journey not being anywhere near beginning, because after what you showed me tonight, your journey has already begun.”

DannyBoy
22nd July 2003, 07:31 PM
That was a good chapter. JC did really well, he just didn't have the advantage to beat Lombre cause of it being part grass. This was a good long chapter to finish off the 3 parts. JC has become a very good trainer but lets see how he does with more pokemon. Keep it up!

Meganium
22nd July 2003, 07:32 PM
Nice chapter although, I think the battles should be a bit longer description is great. Cant wait for the next chapter i wonder when the first gym battle is. This fic is AWESOME, emphisis on AWESOME.

RJdude
23rd July 2003, 08:59 AM
That was good. The battle was well thought out and well descibed. It's too bad that neither Ally or JC won the tournament, but oh well. Keep it up.

ThePhenom
30th July 2003, 05:20 PM
I feel really sorry for the current delay. I just decided that it'd make the story better if I went and planned out the rest of the chapters before I began writing again. The next chapter should be up within the next day or two and will be called Nincada Nonsense. :)

Nikku-San
31st July 2003, 01:20 PM
Wow, this fic is awesome. I like how Nick went from a jerk to a good friend. I hope he doesn't get jerky again. Keep up the good work and I shall keep reading.

ThePhenom
31st July 2003, 07:32 PM
Finished it earlier than I expected. :)

Chapter 8: Nincada Nonsense

“AHHHHH!,” a voice cried out. I quickly peeled out from under my sleeping bag, only to see Ally in panic.

“What’s the matter?,” I asked, as she pointed to what appeared to be a bug pokemon sitting next to her.

“It was sleeping on me!,” she said, cleaning off the bug germs the Pokemon had gotten on her. Nick hadn’t woken up yet, so I decided to speed up the process.

“What kind of Pokemon is this?,” I asked him as I tugged him out from the covers.

“Looks like a Nincada,” he replied, wiping the crust out of both eyes. He then let out a yawn , with breath that could kill.

Meanwhile, the Nincada hadn’t gotten enough of Ally yet. It kept creeping closer to her, which made Ally creep back that much further. Ally then closed her eyes as the Nincada touched her foot. A look of disgust came on her face, as she even stuck her tongue out in displeasure. Then, out of nowhere, a wild Poochyena bolted from out of the bushes in Nincada’s direction. Nincada took notice of Poochyena and quickly scurried off into another patch of bushes, with Poochyena still on the hound.

“Well that sure was weird,” Ally said, relieved that Nincada was now out of her sights. She brushed the bug ‘cooties’ off and walked down to a river that ran beside the path to wash herself off. Nick and I began packing up our stuff, as Ally returned from the river.

“I’m hungry,” Ally said, as we continued our walk towards Cyan City. Nick and I were as well, and because of our hunger, could only nod back at Ally. We focused on the path ahead, but were halted by the sound of an unfamiliar voice.

“Someone finally decided to take on the task of training the little guy, eh?,” as a man, who the voice belonged to, walked out from the forest.

“Train who?,” I asked the man, who looked around 20 years old, had blonde hair with blue eyes, and was dressed in a uniform that even included a hat with a badge on it.

He chuckled. “That Nincada that’s following you.” Ally, Nick, and I looked to the back of us, where we re-encountered a Nincada. The same Nincada who had fallen asleep on Ally. Ally then moved to the other side of Nick, as if he gave her more protection from the bug.

“That’s not ours,” Ally replied to the man. “You see, that Nincada has been following us for the last couple miles. We had run into it earlier and thought we had gotten rid of it. Guess we were wrong.”

“That’s nothing new,” the man replied. “Sorry, let me introduce myself. My name’s Austin.”

“What’s with the getup?” I asked, as Ally put her hand over my mouth like what I said was inappropriate.

“I’m a PokeRanger,” he began to explain. “I look after a certain region of the forested areas around here and make sure everything is in order, whether it be plant life or Pokemon.”

“That sounds cool,” Nick added. “I’ve always had an interest in stuff like that.”

“Wait, why did you say that Nincada’s actions were nothing new?” I interrupted.

“I have to head back to the Ranger Station,” Austin answered. “But if you want to come with me, I’d be more than happy to explain Nincada’s situation with you guys over some lunch. Sound good,” he asked. All three of us shook our heads in agreement, as we followed Austin into the woods, Nincada and all.

“Here we are,” Austin said, introducing us to the Ranger Cabin. It was a typical cabin, built from logs. Nothing too fancy. We headed through the door and I laid my eyes on all the electronic equipment that was stored in the cabin. It was a pretty nice setup for a little shack in the woods.

“Sandwiches sound all right?” Austin asked as he walked over to his little refrigerator. Again we nodded ‘yes’ as we were too hungry to open our mouths at the moment. “This Nincada is an orphan,” Austin started to explain to us. We let out a collective sigh. “No, it’s mother isn’t dead,” he remarked. “This Nincada’s mother was captured by a trainer a couple months ago, right after giving birth to this one. He was so young that he never really got to know his mother, and therefore, never had a motherly figure in his life. He was never given time to grow up and had no one to protect him, so he spent more time running from wild Pokemon than getting tough. Nincada’s fear of wild Pokemon is so bad that it often stays near passing trainers whenever possible. This helps because wild Pokemon know better than to attack a trainer’s Pokemon. Generally, Nincada stays with a female trainer whenever possible, as it’s still looking for that motherly figure. Now you’re probably asking yourself why hasn’t anyone scooped him up, seeing as he wouldn’t be tough to catch. Well the fact is that no trainers want Nincada, mainly because it’s not very strong and is afraid of wild Pokemon. So on a daily basis Nincada stays near passing trainers, in an attempt to not get bullied by wild Pokemon. But the outcome is always the same, so Nincada’s battle with the wild Pokemon is an ongoing one.”

“I want him,” I let out, as Nincada hopped into my arms. “I don’t want him to get bullied by wild Pokemon any longer.”

“I don’t know,” Austin replied. “Some of the PokeRangers and I have saved Nincada from tons of situations, and we’ve really grown attached to him. That’s why I was quite curious when I saw you with Nincada in the woods.” He paused. “But it’s not up to me, I guess. You three are Pokemon trainers and I can’t get in the way of what you want to do. However, I do want to make sure that Nincada is in the right hands. JC, spend time with Nincada today and try and toughen him up anyway you can. Then come back here and show me how you did. I’ll want to battle Nincada to see your progress. Is that ok?,” Austin asked me. “Sounds great to me,” I replied, with a huge smile on my face. After a sandwich or two, Nick, Ally, Nincada and I headed out the cabin.

“How exactly are you going to make Nincada stronger?,” Ally queried.

“Nincada and I are going to run, climb trees, the whole nine yards,” I replied.

“Go Cyndaquil,” I said, releasing my fiery sidekick. “Now Nincada, I brought out Cyndaquil so he could assist you in our quest, as well as get in some training. Let’s start off with a short jog. How about to that tree and back?,” I asked my Pokemon. I jogged backwards, to give my Pokemon a better chance. It also allowed me to watch them as they ran.

“Nick and I going to take a dip in the river with our Pokemon,” Ally yelled down the path to me. “Come get us when we’re done.” I heard Ally, but focused on the running.

“Good job,” I told Nincada and Cyndaquil as they ran. THUMP! I grabbed the back of me head, as I had ran backwards into the finish line-tree. Nincada and Cyndaquil laughed as I rubbed to relieve the pain.

“I got an idea,” I said to myself. “Stay here,” I told my Pokemon as I began to climb the tree I had run into. I was now at the top, where I spotted a long vine. I reached out and jiggled the vine, and it fell out of the tree and hung down parallel to the trunk. I hustled down the tree and back to my Pokemon.

“I want to see which of you can climb the farthest up this vine,” I told Nincada and Cyndaquil. “Winner gets to pick dinner.” They smiled at me, and it was Nincada who decided to go first. Nincada wrapped it’s two tiny claws around the vine and proceeded to climb. Nincada had gotten about three-fourths of the way up the vine, before losing his grip and falling into my arms. “Great job, buddy,” I complimented him.

Now it was Cyndaquil’s turn. Cyndaquil wrapped it’s paws around the vine and began to climb up. The ‘Quilster’ struggled up it, as it’s paws weren’t as good for gripping as Nincada’s claws were. Cyndaquil had made it about half way up when he started to hold the rope tighter. A breeze had blown by and Cyndaquil started to sway back and forth. The vine had now wrapped around Cyndaquil in circles. Cyndaquil’s flame bursted from it’s back and the fire quickly burnt through the vine, and down came Cyndaquil. “Good try, Cynda,” I told my first Pokemon. “I’m afraid Nincada got further up though, so he picks dinner.”

“Now Nincada, for our last little mission, you’re going to scare Ally, that fine with you?,” I asked my bug Pokemon. He nodded happily. “Here’s what you’re going to do,” I began to explain, as Nincada, Cyndaquil, and I walked to the bank of the river. “Ninny, you’re going to go underwater and come up and scare Ally,” I said, finishing the plan. Nincada wasted no time, hopping right into the river. He swam quickly over to Ally, showing off his swimming abilities. I was quite impressed, especially since Nincada was part ground, but wasn’t effected by water. He stopped a foot in front of Ally and then popped right out of the water. Ally let out a scream as Nincada bolted back to me. “You’re a dead man!,” Ally yelled, pointing at me. I hightailed it back up the hill and towards Austin’s cabin. I felt as though Nincada had gotten stronger from the brief time I had spent with him.

“Nincada and I are ready,” I shouted, knocking on the cabin door.

“Hey, nice to see you again, JC,” Austin greeted me. “Ready for battle?”

“Very. I’ve got plenty of trust in Nincada.”

“Alright, let’s go down to the path for the battle.”

We walked down from the forest and onto the path. “One of one,” he said, setting the rules.”

“Nincada, go,” I said, sending my bug Pokemon into battle.

“Go Zigzagoon,” he retaliated. “Ziggy, Tackle, attack” Austin ordered.

“Nincada, let’s use that speed we worked on and dodge the attack.” Nincada sidestepped the Tackle, and gained the upperhand. “Fury Swipes,” I cried out. Nincada lunged at Zigzagoon and furiously swiped the bushy Raccoon.

“Ziggy, let’s even it up with a Headbutt.” Zigzagoon again got up to full speed and charged forward with it’s head.

“Nincada, use Harden.” Nincada’s body got put in an iron cast and when Zigzagoon connected with the headbut it got knocked backwards, hurting itself in the process.

“Let’s finish it off while we got the chance. Fury Cutter.” Nincada put both of it’s claws up and simultaneously brought them across Zigzagoon’s chest, sending the raccoon flying, leaving it unable to battle.

“Wow,” Austin said. “Not in a million years would I have ever thought that Nincada could battle like that. JC, you have a real talent.”

‘Aww, shucks,’ I thought to myself.

“You’re more worthy of having Nincada than I ever expected. You deserve him,” Austin said, passing the Nincada torch to me. I shook his hand and headed down to the shore to tell Ally and Nick about my new Pokemon.

“Hey,” Austin shouted to me as I walked away. “Could you do a favor for me?,” he asked politely. I walked up to him to see what the deal was.

“I know you’re going around Pacto and stuff, and I was wondering if you could bring this package to my brother. I was going to send it in the mail, but the closest post office is in Mulberry Town. Besides, you’ve earned a lot of trust by what you did today. Do you think you could bring the package to my brother in Bittersweet? He’s a Professor up there. You shouldn’t have much of a problem finding him,” Austin concluded.

“Yeah, I can do that. No problem. Anything for a friend.”

Austin went into the cabin and came back out with a small package wrapped in brown paper. He handed me the package and I secured it in my backpack before heading down to the river.

“Nincada’s all mine,” I yelled to Ally and Nick. Nick gave me the ‘thumbs up’ while Ally still seemed mad at me for having Nincada scare her.

We continued our walk on the path as the sun settled behind the mountains. A sign for Cyan City approached us on the right and I began to smile.

We stopped and got something to eat at a restaurant in the city. Nincada, as part of the deal, got to choose dinner, and luckily he pointed out burgers on the menu. Good call. We wrapped up dinner and shacked up at the Cyan City Pokemon Center. We’d get to sleep on a couch for a change and it gave us a chance to rest all of our Pokemon at the center. Or so we thought…

RJdude
31st July 2003, 09:31 PM
Good chapter. So JC got a Nincada... interesting. I wonder if he'll get both Ninjask and Shednja... I guess I'll have to wait to find out.

Mikey
31st July 2003, 09:52 PM
Your fic is pretty cool! I just caught up and I must say you have talent. Great fic, and I liked the Nincade one. Seems like a cool Pokemon for JC. Keep it up! Check out my fic too if you want, could use some more readers!:wave:

ThePhenom
1st August 2003, 12:28 AM
Thanks, guys.

I'm hoping to get the next chapter up tomorrow. It's going to be the most creative chapter yet. The idea of the chapter came to me when Andrew complained about the Pokemon not having personalities. Well I took his advice and the whole chap is gonna be based around their personalities. Also, the chapter won't include much of Ally, Nick, and JC, so it'll give them a break.

conspiracy
1st August 2003, 12:42 AM
Now I'm pretty sure your gonna do POVs or something.... that's my only guess

ThePhenom
1st August 2003, 12:47 AM
It's only going to be for this chapter only. I'm switching from JC's POV to an omniscient one.

pokemaster9950
1st August 2003, 01:22 PM
i like your story a lot it is interesting, i am up to chapter 3:D

ThePhenom
3rd August 2003, 12:34 AM
Thanks for your comments.

A little update:

I'm not going to be able to get Chapter 9 up tonight, and I'm going to my grandmother's tomorrow(if it doesn't rain), so I'm shooting for Monday.

In the meantine, I put up the official Pokemon: Pacto League Site. Those who are interested can click the link in my sig. :P

A site = big ratings. 8)

CharizardILG27
3rd August 2003, 03:39 PM
lol i like your Pacto League Site! Its very detailed. Your story is very good. You have good talent. Anyways, keep up the good work!

DannyBoy
3rd August 2003, 04:12 PM
That was a good chapter, Nincada is a cool pokemon. I cant wait to see what its going to be like when it evolves. The whole bugs and Alley sounds like Misty but its ok, most girls dont like bugs. Keep it up!

ThePhenom
3rd August 2003, 04:53 PM
Lol. Yeah, Ally's dislike of bugs isn't as great as Misty's. I think Ally was just more upset at the fact that the thing was sleeping on her and she didn't know it. :P

Meganium
4th August 2003, 06:17 PM
Another excellent chapter, Im kinda bummed though I just got back from vacation and saw your sig and I knew he caught a Nincada before I even read the chapter. Anyway I'm glad ta see JC got 3 pokemon now and cant wait for chapter 10 ;).

Zee Sage
23rd August 2003, 05:37 PM
When Is The Next Chapter Going To Be Out I am A New reader and love this fic when is the next chapter out again.

ThePhenom
16th February 2004, 12:36 PM
Oh my god, I can't believe this is still here. I'm so sorry to anyone who really liked my fic. I started college a couple months ago and didn't have access to a computer, so I couldn't continue my writing. I do have access now though, and I plan to write as much as I can. I'm working on Chapter 9 right now. It should be up within a couple hours.

I hope people are still interested. :(

ThePhenom
16th February 2004, 01:45 PM
I know it's not very long, but I just wanted to get something done.

Chapter 9: What They Don't Know Won't Hurt'em

When we left our friends they were sound asleep inside the Pokemon Center in Cyan City. Little did they know, their pokemon were about to be in for a rude awakening…

The front door of the Pokemon Center creaked open. A shadowy figure made his way through the entrance and found his way towards the back of the building. Carefully, he crept inside the rehabilitation part of the center, where the injured pokemon would go to get healed. He pulled out a burlap sack and began shoveling all the PokeBalls he could into it. A gust of wind rippled at the window and the figure began to panic. He stopped gathering PokeBalls and bolted out the door, knocking down several PokeBalls he hadn’t taken off the table. Out of the PokeBalls popped Cyndaquil, Tyrogue, and Eevee. The three pokemon were stunned from the fall, but managed to catch a glimpse of the figure as he headed out the door.

“What was that?”, Eevee asked the two Pokemon. “Cynda, go wake up the other Pokemon.”

Cyndaquil hopped back on the table, but couldn’t find any leftover PokeBalls. “They’re all gone,” he told Eevee.

“I’m going back to sleep,” said a sleepy Tyrogue.

“Come on, dude. This isn’t the time,” Cyndaquil replied. “Don’t you care that our friends are missing?”

“I don’t have any friends,” Tyrogue snickered back. Eevee and Cyndaquil looked at one another, unsure of what to tell Tyrogue.

“Well Cynda and I are going out to look for our friends,” Eevee told Ty. “Bye.”

Tyrogue hopped back in his PokeBall as Eevee and Cyndaquil started out the door. They got outside the PokeCenter and started looking for footprints that might help them find their friends. Cyndaquil built up a large fire on his back, working as a light to help them see. The footprints they followed led them into some woods right behind the Cyan City PokeCenter. They wondered a couple yards into the woods when Cyndaquil tripped and fell.

“Are you okay?”, Eevee asked her partner in crime.

“Yeah,” he responded. He looked back and noticed that he had tripped over a PokeBall. “Cool, this must’ve been dropped during the raid,” he let out.

“Open it,” Eevee ordered. Cyndaquil rolled the ball with his front paw and the ball began to flow. Out came Chinchou.

“I’m so glad to see you guys!” Chinchou exclaimed.

“What happened, dude?” asked Cyndaquil.

“Someone broke into the Center and stole all the pokemon they could get their hands on. Fortunately for me, my PokeBall fell out of the sack he was carrying while he was running. He was headed that way,” Chinchou told Cyndaquil and Eevee, pointing East of where they were originally headed.

The three headed deeper into the woods, but Cyndaquil couldn’t muster enough strength to keep a fire up, so they relied on Chinchou and his bulbs to provide light. This idea backfired. The light from Chinchou’s bulbs was so bright that it could be seen from a mile away. Within that one mile radius was the pokenapping shadowy figure. He saw the three pokemon and decided to follow them until he thought it was best to capture them.

Cyndaquil, Eevee, and Chinchou had come to a stop in the woods. There were no more footprints to follow, as mostly leaves now covered the ground. Suddenly there was a rustling coming from the leaves around them. The shadowy figure then jumped out from behind a tree and appeared in front of them. The three pokemon were frozen with fear. They couldn’t move. The figure then reached over to grab them and put them in his bag. A swift kick to the backside of the figure seemed to startle the man.

It was Tyrogue. He had been following the group all along. The shadowy figure turned around and was met with a non-stop barrage of kicks. The burlap sack fell from his grasp and Cyndaquil quickly went to retrieve it. Eevee and Cyndaquil ran back to the center as Tyrogue and Chinchou stayed to deal with the figure. Tyrogue knocked the man to the ground and Chinchou finished off the ordeal with a thunderbolt that sent him flying into a tree. Both of them quickly headed back to the center to check on their friends. As Tyrogue entered he was met with a chorus of hugs and ‘thank you’s.

‘Maybe I do have friends’, he thought to himself.

Zee Sage
16th February 2004, 02:29 PM
Sweet Chapter. short, but sweet. I like the whole Pokemon POV, can't wait till the next chapter. Good Luck At College. :wave:

DannyBoy
18th February 2004, 08:24 PM
That was an ok chapter. Not your best. It seemed a bit rushed. I think it could have been a bit longer and description was..ok. Just take your time but it was a nice chapter. I agree with Zee, cool having Pokemon Point of View. Just take your time, this place isn't going anywhere.

ThePhenom
29th February 2004, 02:25 PM
Hope ya like.

Chapter 10: Watered Down

“Hey guys, come look at this,” I yelled, awakening Nick and Ally. “Apparently there was a Pokemon thief in the area
overnight. Thank goodness he was caught before he could get to our Pokemon,” I said, pointing to an article in the newspaper. We looked at each other and gave off a little giggle, glad that our Pokemon hadn’t been put in any danger.

I had a tough time sleeping last night, completely geeked up from the fact that today was the day I’d be competing in my first gym battle, here in Cyan City. I didn’t know much about the gym leader or his or her Pokemon so I couldn’t strategize, but I was aware that they trained water Pokemon, something the area is known for. Because of this, I had already decided to give my only fire Pokemon, Cyndaquil, the day off, knowing that he was more likely to get hurt in battle than succeed.

“Rise and shine,” I told my Pokemon as I released them from their PokeBalls. “Today’s a big day. Our first real gym battle.” My three Pokemon looked up at me, each looking as eager as the next to participate in helping win a badge. “I’m afraid I’m not going to use you today though,” I informed Cyndaquil, who didn’t seem too happy to hear the news. “A gym badge isn’t worth you not being healthy,” I told him, rubbing him under his chin.

The gym wasn’t open for another few hours so Nick, Ally and I decided that breakfast would not only get my mind of battling for the time being, but it would give me and my Pokemon a little more energy going into the battle. I couldn’t seem to think about anything other than the battle though.

“What was your first battle like, Nick?” I queried, trying to get any information that could possibly help me later on in the day.

“Terrifying,” he responded. “I had trouble sleeping the night before. I wasn’t very confident in my abilities, and I was more concerned about not getting completely embarrassed in battle rather than actually trying to win the badge. Because I went into battle with that mindset, I lost my first attempt at a gym badge. I didn’t get embarrassed, which secured some confidence in myself, but I still didn’t have a badge to show for my efforts. I underestimated how much it hurt to not win. I had even more trouble sleeping the following nights, analyzing what I could’ve done better in the match. Finally, I got up enough courage to go out and challenge for the badge again. I fought this match like it was going to be my last, and surely enough I was victorious. I was so proud of me and my Pokemon. The first one was the toughest though. It gets easier after that.”

I was so tied up in Nick’s words I couldn’t even stomach breakfast, letting it go cold. I’m nowhere near as nervous as Nick was going into his first battle, I thought to myself. Maybe I do have a real shot.

“It’s time,” I announced, waiting for Nick and Ally to finish their breakfast. I gathered my PokeBalls and we headed out the door of the restaurant. We hiked across the city until we came to this two story building with a sign reading ‘Gym’, that looked more like a house than a Pokemon Gym. I walked up the steps and knocked on the door.

“Who is it?” a man’s voice rang around from behind the door.

“I’m JC Corr from Gainsboro. I’ve come to challenge for a gym badge.”

“Just one minute,” said the man, finally opening up the door. He was in his bath robe, looking as if he wasn’t expecting much company. He had long blonde hair and light blue eyes. He was handsome looking and couldn’t have been more than 25 years of age. “You’ve come to the right place,” he replied, staring me in the face. “I’m Walter, the Cyan City Gym Leader,” he said, putting out his hand. I shook it and the three of us entered through the front door. I looked around, noticing pictures on the wall, apparently of his family.

“I don’t mean to be rude, but is this your house?,” I asked him.

“You’re not being rude,” he answered. “This is, in fact, my house. The gym was located in downtown Cyan City, where my dad was the gym leader. There was a horrible accident there over a year ago though. During a battle the building had caught fire, and it completely engulfed everything in it. It was the worst thing that’s ever happened to me. I couldn’t leave my room for months, I was so devastated. I needed to support my family though. My dad was such a great man, and I had always dreamed of taking over the gym someday, but I didn’t know it would happen this soon. I didn’t want to the let the city of my father down though, but the construction of a new gym was going to take a couple of years, as the city didn’t have the money to finance one. That wasn’t good enough for me. My father’s death taught me that you can’t take any day of your life for granted, and I didn’t want to waste time sitting around doing nothing. I re-constructed our huge basement, making the necessary changes so that it could be considered an official Pokemon gym, so for the time being the Cyan City Pokemon Gym resides in my basement,” he finished, coming to a pause. “Let me go get changed, JC. Then we can battle.”

Nick, Ally, and I headed down to the basement, trying to scope out the surroundings. He had turned into a nice setting, from everything I had seen. The floor was made of solid clay and he had rocks positioned throughout the field. A few minutes later, Walter finally arrived. He now had on a light blue bandana, which was wrapped around his head, some khakis, and a gray t-shirt.

“Is 2-on-2 sound good to you, JC?” he asked from across the field. I nodded yes to him and I was ready to get this show on the road.

CYAN CITY GYM BATTLE: J.C. VS. LEADER WALTER
Two Versus Two

“This is your time to shine,” I said, gripping my PokeBall. “Go Nincada!”

“Go Krabby,” Walter said, releasing his PokeBall into the center of the field.

“Let’s start this off with a Scratch attack, Nincada.” The bug Pokemon launched itself at Krabby, swiping it’s claw as it got near

“Quick, Krabby use Harden.” Krabby’s red shell began to glow like a metal coat. Nincada’s claw connected to the outer shell, but it didn’t deal any damage.

“Now use Bubble,” Walter let out. The Pokemon released dozens upon dozens of bubbles from it’s two tiny claws. Nincada wasn’t quick enough to evade the attack, and got hurt from the attack.

“Shake it off, Nincada. Use Sand Attack.” Nincada dug it’s claws into the hard clay and began scooping it right into the direction of Krabby. A dust storm quickly formed around the crab.

“Now use Fury Swipes,” I cried. Nincada lunged forth again, this time connecting on several slashes across Krabby and it’s shell.

“We’re in a little bit of trouble here, Krabby. Let’s see if we can end this quickly. Use Guillotine.” Krabby raised both it’s claws and tried to sandwich them around Nincada. The attack was easily dodged, and the battle seemed to be in Nincada’s favor.

“Fury Swipes, again” I let out. Nincada dove at Krabby, attempting to slash it.

“Quick! Use Guillotine again!,” Walter screamed. Nincada was easily in Krabby’s reach. The crustacean quickly slapped Nincada in a sandwich and it was all over.

I was ticked off. Nincada had dominated Krabby throughout the whole match, but one luck move did us in. I recalled Nincada, congratulating it on a well fought battle.

“Go Chinchou,” I said, releasing my second Pokemon into battle.

“Krabby, use Vicegrip.” Krabby chased at Chinchou with it’s one claw, but it was not fast enough to catch it.

“Chinchou, confuse it with Supersonic”. Chinchou’s two bulbs rubbed together, letting off a sound that can only be heard by Pokemon. Krabby fell victim to the attack.

“Chinchou, let’s get the job done while we can. Spark attack.” Chinchou released a ball of electricity in the direction of Krabby, who was too confused to get away from the attack. The spark hit and Krabby quickly fainted from the attack.

Walter called his Pokemon back and released his second and final Pokemon. “Go…Lanturn!” That must be what Chinchou evolves into, I thought to myself. Pretty cool looking.

“Chinchou, use Take Down.” My little Pokemon dove right into Lanturn, but bounced back off the blubber.

“Lanturn, use Confuse Ray.” Lanturn let out a glare from it’s eyes that Chinchou couldn’t help but look at.

“Now Lanturn, use Take Down.” Lanturn dove at the confused Chinchou, and hit it head on, sending it flying. The hard hit seemed to have knocked the confusion out of Chinchou though.

“Chinchou, let’s paralyze this thing so we can take advantage of speed. Use Thunder Wave.” Chinchou let out a bolt of electricity from it’s bulbs, but Lanturn was actually too quick for it to even connect.

“Lanturn, let’s end this. Hyper Beam.” The big bulb on Lanturn’s head began to glow bright as it brought it all the energy it could.

I was so scared. “Chinchou, just try and Endure this. We might have a chance if you can!”

The beam left Lanturn’s bulb and headed at Chinchou. The beam connected and a thick cloud of dust formed in the basement. I couldn’t see anything, but I was crossing my fingers, hoping Chinchou had Endured the attack. Finally, the dust cleared.

Chinchou walked away from the destruction. “Are you still good enough to battle?” I asked my Pokemon. Chinchou was in bad shape, but nodded it’s head yes. It peeked back over at Lanturn, who had used a ton of energy in the Hyper Beam and needed to recharge.

“Now’s the chance I was talking about,” I exclaimed. “Chinchou, use Flail.” Chinchou got a running start and like a cannonball propelled itself right into the heart of Lanturn. The hit was hard and the contact tremendously hurt Lanturn. Lanturn grasped for a reason to stay up, but couldn’t find one, crashing hard to the surface of the basement.

“Great job, JC,” Walter congratulated me, recalling his fallen Lanturn. “You’re truly a great trainer. I’ve never seen someone with the patience you have under pressure. Those kinds of intangibles are what separate good trainers from legends.”

I couldn’t quite grasp what I had just accomplished. It was all happening to fast. I shook Walter’s hand and thanked him for the opportunity battle such a great trainer, then turned around and hugged Nick and Ally for their support.

“Here, this is the Deep Sea Badge,” Walter said, handing over this navy Blue badge in the shape of Cyan City. “I’m sure there will be plenty more where this came from,” he told me. “The sky’s the limit.”

“That was easily your best battle to date,” Ally complimented me as we walked out of Walter’s house. “Mom would be proud.”

This day was beyond anything I could have dreamed. Hopefully winning my first gym battle, something that Nick couldn’t do, won’t give me a big head.

DannyBoy
29th February 2004, 03:00 PM
Pretty good gym battle! This was much better than the last chapter! Also, if you know who this is, its IloveX-tina. Some people been forgeting I changed my name. But back to the chapter. The gym match was good. Description was ok and it was a perfect length. Good job, keep it up!

ThePhenom
1st March 2004, 10:08 AM
Thanx. I'll try and post a minimum of one chapter every couple of days to week.

Charles Legend
2nd March 2004, 09:54 PM
Good job, on your fic and yeah the way JC had Nincada scare his sister sounds like something I would do if I had a bug type to..... LOL :D

but yeah your fic is verry cool indead, so yeah I well keep a tab on it......

~Ryu

Vexx58
30th March 2004, 04:48 PM
awesome I luv this fic can't wait 4 next 1. But i have a Q Iv'e been 2 ur site and havn't seen Chapter 10 on ur site. Wats up with that?:)