PDA

View Full Version : Before Writing ...?

PancaKe
17th February 2005, 06:11 AM
I was sitting here thinking about the story I wanna write next and my inspiration for it, when I was like "hey, I wonder where everybody else gets their inspiration from and what they wanna write and things like that!"

Actually that's a really corny way of asking, where do you guys usually get your inspiration from? What do you do before you write the story? Is this any good or is it hopeless? Stuff like that.

Yeah, basically right now I'm getting a lot of inspiration from my anime. I finished watching Saikano (sweet sweet story) and now I'm working on a twelve part love fic. Lol love is something I dont usually write about, I prefer everybody dying :P (even in the tofu story someone died!!!) But yeah.

You know what I hate? I sit donw and plan out each and every chapter before I write my story - and I dont know if that is what makes me go downhlll or not in my fic writing. I haven't written a proper fic since the days of LVH :cry: which is so sad. But maybe sitting down and planning out in detail my story si whats killing it. Oh wel.

what do you guys do?
discuss

Tainted
17th February 2005, 07:35 AM
Thought provoking movies and books, and spiders crawling on the wall-- for some reason spiders make me want to write... They're just so cute and scampery all over the wall.

And I never plan out my stories. At the begining I have an extremely rough outline of what's going to happen-- and this'll consist of six or seven jot-notes. These will change throughout the story also, and I never ever have a concrete ending. If you were to ask me now how my story would end, I wouldn't be able to tell you.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

Mewfour
17th February 2005, 12:22 PM
Whole buncha' stuff, really.

Interesting factoid: Did you know that my fic Galaxy War was inspired by the old Math Blaster game? I swear I'm not kidding.

Usually, I come up with a premise and then the general gist of the ending, and then I flesh out the middle as I go along. None of my fics are 100% pre-planned.

Orion
17th February 2005, 01:24 PM
I always try to plan the overall makeup of anything I'm willing to write. Since I can lose the grip easily and just can't bear to write something that has zero to no planning, I try to plan it beforehand. It's only the main events first, and then the minor stuff.

I rarely can get an idea that makes me change what I've planned completely. The only remarkable example was when I completely changed some chapters of TSD with a quite unexpected event, and it shifted completely from what it used to be. Still, that's quite rare to happen. I tend to have most, if not all my Fics, planned already.

As for what I do to get ideas... it's simple. I just read other Fics as they usually give me good ideas. Most of the time, random ideas come to my kind, though. Depending on how much I build up such random idea is the likelihood of it becoming a viable fic. The I plan most of it and I get on writing it...

mr_pikachu
17th February 2005, 01:27 PM
Usually music, although sometimes I derive concepts from TV (especially anime). Music, though, is so versatile and vast that you can come up with anything from the lyrics of popular songs. Even purely instrumental music can be inspirational sometimes. Sometimes television is limited by... well, reality. If you like to write fantasy (or even regular) fiction, TV may be worth staying away from, because you'd probably get sued if you recklessly published something that was exactly the same as a television show. I, personally, find music to really allow me to work well. :yes:

LilyPichu
17th February 2005, 01:55 PM
Experiences, or just random spur-of-the-moment thing, or envy.

It differs, but most likely it will be randomness. 8D;;

Ho-oh2001
17th February 2005, 02:45 PM
My inspiration comes from wherever. In this case, I'm writing a Yu-Gi-Oh fanfic, so a lot of my inspiration comes from the anime. However, that might not be an accurate way to say it... when I see a good episode of the anime, I get inspired to write, but the episode in itself does not give me many ideas. I usually think these up a long time in advance.

But it's not exactly that I plan them out... as a side-effect of doing a lot of roleplaying, I tend to "see" my stories before they happen -- that is, visions will just jump out at me randomly (like, the strategy Nick used against the mysterious duelist in my latest chapter jumped into my head while I was at Staples Business Depot, for no reason at all, and then evolved while I was getting gas at Esso). I usually don't try to force anything into the story if I don't think it fits. My train of thought is that everything will work itself out if you give it a little time.

The Decapitated Mole
17th February 2005, 03:00 PM
I get my inspiration from just about everything. I'll sit down and watch some tv and I'll be like 'this is funny' and then I'll go and write something and be like 'this sucks and is a total ripoff but I'm sure the assholes'll love it anyway so stfu' and that's it. When I'm writing something serious, I get my inspiration from things, too. I watch something and think 'wow, this is fucked up' and then I'll go write something and it just comes out all serious because I've still got whatever I saw before on my mind.

I never plan anything out, though. Can't stand it, I don't work like that. I have ideas, I write them down, and that's that. That's probably why I can't spread out the writing of my chapters. When I sit down to write a chapter I sit down and I WRITE IT! I don't stop for nothin until I'm finished. That's just the way I am - once I start writing the ideas just flow and I never even have to stop and think. It's really cool, actually.

o_0
jimm

Gavin Luper
18th February 2005, 07:40 AM
Just about everything inspires me - books, movies, music, people around me, photos, pictures in books, places i hear of, places i see, the moon, dusk, looking at the moon at dusk ... everything. It's amazing. I get inspired so much but it doesn't necessarily mean i can write at the time, annoyingly.

Cheers! :D

dratinihaunter13
19th February 2005, 06:31 AM
The game boy pokemon games inspired me a long time ago for pokemon writing, but for writing in general i'm typically inspired by any emotion that makes me double take. movies also when their plots come up with some awesome twist. it's great inspiration coming from questions like, "wouldn't it be cool if...."

riot mankey
20th February 2005, 09:22 AM
Usually on the colourful characters i meet at school :sweat:

Simetimes the main characters are based a little on me (only origionals, not fanworks)

PancaKe
21st February 2005, 02:52 AM
You know what's really killing my writing at the moment? The fact that I've started some weird habit of working out every detail before writing the fic. By the time i work it all out, I've killed it! It's so annoying. *sigh* Anybody else have the same problem? :sweat:

Greyfox
21st February 2005, 03:59 AM
You know what's really killing my writing at the moment? The fact that I've started some weird habit of working out every detail before writing the fic. By the time i work it all out, I've killed it! It's so annoying. *sigh* Anybody else have the same problem? :sweat:Yes. Meanwhile, I've only got one inspiration as far as writing goes [see: the Girl Who Stole the Stars], but she'll be all I ever need.

-Grey

riot mankey
21st February 2005, 04:09 AM
You know what's really killing my writing at the moment? The fact that I've started some weird habit of working out every detail before writing the fic. By the time i work it all out, I've killed it! It's so annoying. *sigh* Anybody else have the same problem? :sweat:

Well, not really. But while in writing this manga-style comic, I have the places, the people and features of it all planned. But when it comes to storyline, I have nothing planned. I kinda see where all the stuff ive created will take me and where it will all fall into place as I go, Like the main character is half another specie. Hes bad tempered and gets into fights. Everyone else is afraid of him because humans hate this other specie he is. Then I think of a situation that would get him into, and sketch it down, Then make another part to the story to it.

Then, you never know, it might all add up eventually to a pretty good, like, big story... but I dont think this process would work for everyone like more organised people, especially if they're writing - not drawing. But you could try it and see what happens....

...... aww crap my rice crispies have gone soggy....

Tainted
21st February 2005, 06:56 AM
Normally I start a story from characters before plot. I'll think of a very scratchy idea, like for my current story I thought: Guy in circus has to do something, and then I began making up characters. The strong man, Ranshad, the acrobat, Zedrick, the seer, Lexxi-- and so on, and so forth.

I recently got an idea for a Gladiator type story, and just started working on it yesterday. Managed to get ten pages done, since I generally write fast when I'm starting something new. The only problem with this is, I'm finding it very hard to not rip off the movie, and it's hard to try and keep things historically accurate. I'm already almost 100% sure I haven't kept things perfectly accurate, but I've been trying my best so far.

It's about a prisoner of war from Germania who is purchased by a slave owner with five other slaves. These six become friends, and so on, and they begin to learn about the gladiator games. This man that purchased them was a famous gladiator trainer who used to have a squad that rivalred the Emperor's own legion. And then a good majority of them mysteriously caught a variant of plague and died. So, he needed new recruits, etc. and here they are. [/shameless plug]

Not entirely sure if I'll be giving it a go on TPM yet, but I'm thinking about it.

Adieu,
Zak Hunter

Chris 2.1
21st February 2005, 07:55 AM
Since my Monica fanfics are generally based around anime-style fighting, anime like Shaman King are a great way to develop fighting skills. I also look at a lot of Japanese History to get character names, attacks and weapons. Serena has a weapon called the Zanbatou featured in both Shaman King are Soul Callibur 2. It rocks.

As for Pokemon, I need very little inspiration to be honest. In Lucky Charms, watching TV Dramas can spice up the Sylvie side-story somewhat.

mr_pikachu
21st February 2005, 02:35 PM

Actually, my problems tend to be when I don't plan out segments of the plot very well. For instance, I had a hard time trying to figure out which route to go in my main fic recently: The short, quick way or the long, deep one? (I'm talking about "routes" in the plotline sense: I had the option of whether or not to kill the main character.) I've decided at last, but I obviously won't reveal it until the chapter in question comes out. But the point is that this dilemma was part of the cause of my five-month delay between chapters.

For fanfic writing, I think it's okay to not have a complete idea of what's going to happen. Part of the fun of fanfics is, after all, discovering what will happen as you go. But for a professional piece, it must be essential to know what you're going to do before you do it. Especially if you do a book series such as Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, etc. If you got to say, the third book, and realized that you had no idea what to do, I think your publisher would probably kill you. Plus, it's important to know what will happen so that you can carefully craft a stimulating storyline and tie it all together appropriately.

At least, that's my take on it. *shurgs*

Chris 2.1
21st February 2005, 03:10 PM
If ever given the choice, I go for the big, deeper subplot rather than avoiding it. Obviously this differs depending on the plot itself, but I do like to create little side stories here and there. It's always good for character development, and I do like thinking of a situation, then how a character can get out of it etc.

PancaKe
22nd February 2005, 01:06 AM
Subplots rock, but sometimes its difficult to keep all the focus on the main plot. ^_^ In LVH, I had a bit of trouble keeping people's attention off the subplots and relationships and keeping them focused on what was the main plot. Sometimes i got distracted too ^.^

riot mankey
25th February 2005, 02:42 PM
Subplots rock, but sometimes its difficult to keep all the focus on the main plot. ^_^ In LVH, I had a bit of trouble keeping people's attention off the subplots and relationships and keeping them focused on what was the main plot. Sometimes i got distracted too ^.^

Yeah but sometimes being distracted from the main plot can be a good thing. Sometimes readers need a bit of a break. I know you knew that, but what I mean is... its nice to even forget completely about the main plot for a little while, as long as the writer doesnt overdo it... hell, what am I saying I don't know nethin about storywriting.... sorry.....

EggTroopa
25th February 2005, 03:08 PM
Like many other people who posted in this thread, I usually get my inspiration from TV and movies. Also, if you are writing a fanfic about existing characters, like Ash or Yugi, try to consider their traits and characteristics and think about what they would do in some situations. For instance, I'm working on a series of Mario fanfics. In this series there is a character called Wario who is a big prankster. In a future fic he will be pulling a big prank on Mario. I had two prank ideas to choose from, too. (Call this a spoiler alert if you want.) One involved a Taillow and a barbeque grill and the other involved an Ursaring and a big, hollowed out cake. I made my mind up, but I won't tell you which one I used.
But that's just me...

PancaKe
25th February 2005, 08:40 PM
Yeah but sometimes being distracted from the main plot can be a good thing. Sometimes readers need a bit of a break. I know you knew that, but what I mean is... its nice to even forget completely about the main plot for a little while, as long as the writer doesnt overdo it... hell, what am I saying I don't know nethin about storywriting.... sorry.....

^_^ who cares whether you know anything about storie writing or not, hek, its not like we're english teachers here or something

PokePaul
26th February 2005, 03:53 AM
^_^ who cares whether you know anything about storie writing or not, hek, its not like we're english teachers here or something

Now there's a thought ....... *looks around suspiciously*

If you're reading this Barbara, my coursework is as good as done. Honest.

Chris 2.1
26th February 2005, 04:27 AM
Haha great comment Pokepaul.

I agree subplots can distract from the main story, but if they are somewhat linked to the main story it can be a real blessing. Of course, when your main story is something like a showdown far away (ala Monica's Revolution, in which they were journeying towards a new foe in order to defeat him) a lot of the fic was about getting from A (home) to B (Dimitri's land), and everything in-between.

But hey, that's just me.

mistysakura
26th February 2005, 04:50 AM
Lol Pokepaul. Agree with Brit Chris about subplots, ones that are linked to the main plotline can make things a lot more complicated and interesting, but ones that seem to have no significance at all can draw attention away from the main plot a bit too much at times. Anyway on topic, I don't get inspiration. Not most of the time anyway. When I do, it's generally from random ponderings when I can't sleep, or an waiting in a queue, or whatever. And then I start writing the poem/short story/thing in my head, and I get caught up with it so that I really can't sleep/ I don't realise I'm still in the queue. Yes, I'm weird.

And I try to plan the main storyline out in chapter fics, but I'm really bad at plots. Problem is that's exactly why I need to plan it out. A bti of a Catch-22. With short stories/poems, however, I just start writing witha faint idea, and wait for it to develop itself in my head while writing.

Lady Vulpix
10th July 2005, 08:47 PM
Well, when I want to get inspiration I normally go to bed thinking of what I want to write and then get up early in the morning still thinking about it, and words usually find a way to fall in the right place.

AntiAsh Superstar
15th July 2005, 09:01 PM
*agrees with Gabi* As it happens I do the whole 'go to bed musing about possible plots and if they still are in my head the next morning I'll go with em' thing too.. tho in terms of style I rely heavily on reading a lot and taking in the way other authors write. And in terms of character development... music, definitely. If I'm listening to a song that is about a character type I'd like to write about myself that becomes their 'theme tune' if you like and I start deriving their character from the sentiments in the song. :)

Master of Paradox
15th July 2005, 10:27 PM
The Gods alone know where I get my ideas, although a great deal of them come as I go down the driveway for the mail.

In "Lady of Dragons", a number of characters were inspired by key cards in my Yu-Gi-Oh collection. Hasker came about because I wanted to do something with the Dark Snake Syndrome; a later character was created because of my desire to do something with the concept of Union cards.

Much of "Shadow Realm: Fifteen" can trace its existence to "What if?" questions. "If Duel Monsters had a government, how would it work?" led to much of Chapter Four; "How would CSI play out in the Shadow Realm?" prompted the characters of Aysev and Geefor. And oddly enough, Ozzy Osbourne's "No More Tears" inspired the end of Chapter Eight...

Darien Shields
23rd July 2005, 01:32 AM
The will to write... for me it comes from reading. Either I'll be reading something and become furious, thinking "Gah! This is so bad! I can do so much better! This is the way that it is done!" and start typing away, or alternatively think, "Gah! This is so wonderful! If only I could compare to this... well I must at least try my hand!"

As for ideas... well, various places. Usually when I have nothing to do I will go into my imagination, which can result in fic ideas. Other times, it's usually the will to screw up someone's continuity by completely turning it on its head (the idea for that big Pokemon War I 'ad), or by combining two completely contrasting things. That was how I got the idea for "Harry Potter and the Battle Royale".

And I completely identify with anyone who says planning kills. 'Cause it does. All my old fics, most of them died because I got to a certain point, and I knew everything that was going to happen in the plot, and got bored with it. Maybe I should go back to some of my old ideas and then take them in a different direction... that might be fun.