PDA

View Full Version : The Path to the Championship

Deathman
1st May 2003, 08:55 PM
Well, this one is better than my first one, not sure how much that's saying though.

The Path to the Championship
Prolouge
"He's not old enough. He's not ready. He should stay home for another year."

"Honey, he's 11 years old now, and he's turning 12 tomorow. Most of the other parents let their kids start their journeys when they are 10. Eugene is expecting to start his journey tomorow. Have you seen how hard he's been studying? He's ready."

"Look, how are we going to get him a pokemon by tomorow? Even if I did agree to this, there would be no way for us to get him one"

"I've already got him one"

"You what!"

Eugene's heart skipped a beat. Did his dad just say he had picked him up a pokemon. He pressed his ear cloeser to the door with a rekindled interest in their conversation.

"I was at the store today. I picked him up Plusle. It was the cheapest thing there"

"Why didn't you talk this over with me first?"
"Because I knew you would say no."

"..."

"Sorry"

"..."

Eugene sighed. His parents had been arguing about when he should start his pokemon journey since his 10th birthday. His mom had never let him. She was all ways afraid of letting him go. He had never tried to argue the point with he because she never would listen to him. So instead he let his dad argue. There wasn't much difference. She didn't listen to his dad either. But he was an adult atleast.

Hearing that the conversation was not going to progress any further Eugene slowly tip-toed back to bed. As he stripped down into his boxer shorts and got into bed his dad walked into the room. "You heard didn't you?" He asked.

Eugene suddenly felt guilty. His dad had seen him. He nodded slowly.

"I thought so. Listen, your going to start your journey tomorrow wether your mom likes it or not. I'm going to make sure of it."

Eugene swept away his guilt. His dad obviously didn't care. "Thanks dad. I appreciate it." He said, and meant it.

"But it cost me a price. I don't think your mom will get over this very easily." Eugene's dad said gravely.

"She will get over it eventually, right dad."

"Of course she will. She knows she's wrong, and she's being stubborn in admitting it"

"Good. I don't like mom when she's mad"

Eugene's dad laughed, "I don't like mom when she's mad either."

Chapter 1

It was harder getting to sleep knowing that I would be starting my journey the next day. Of course it probably would have been just as hard if I was uncertain of wether or not I would be starting my adventure too. I wrapped myself tightly into my blanket and wiggled excitedly. I couldn't believe it. The very prospect of leaving home like I should have been able to do 2 years ago sent energy through my body. The same energy that was keeping me awake.

I wanted to go to sleep, but thinking about sleep only made it harder to get to sleep, and whenever I tried to think about something else my thoughts would all ways drift to pokemon which only proved to waken me further. I wasn't going to sleep and I knew it. And as soon as I thought about that all thoughts of sleep left my head.

I sat up, turned the light on, and pulled out my copy of "Pokemon for Dummies" by my favorite author, Ash Ketchum. It was very good literature. Especially seeing as how the author was very humerous in his writting style. He would all ways refer to stupid things that he had done as a trainer throughout the book. I didn't actually believe that he had done any of the things he talked about. It was very hard to imagine anyone being that stupid.

Ash Ketchum was a very famous author. He had been a trainer at one point and a very good one at that. While he never actually won any leagues (With an exception of the Orange Island League, which shut down a few years after he had beaten the champion there), he still did very well in all the ones he competed in. But his real fame came when he started writting. Acording to him he had found his hidden talent.

Unlike him, I had no interest in writing. His literature had inspired me to try a couple of times, but all my writting had turned out poorly, and when I posted it on the internet for others to read it I was flamed for spamming.

The clock tower down town sounded 12 O'clock. I sighed. Reading hadn't made me tired. It had simply wound me up more. I turned the lights off once more. This time I managed to calm myself down to the point where I could sleep, even if it was a light sleep, it was still rest.

I awoke far to early. My dad was shaking me back and forth, hissing my name in my ear. "I'm awake dad" I whispered, though I felt far from awake.

"Good" He replied in a soft voice, "Your mom will be asleep for a while longer. I want to ship you out of here before she gets up. She never did get over what happened last night at all, so I think it would be better for you to have me deal with her this morning."

I didn't know what to say so I just nodded.

"I have all your presents for you right here" he said, placing five wrapped presents before me. "Dig in" He said motioning to them.

The present at the top of the pile was a flat rectangle, in about the shape of a calculator. I tore through the paper to find my very own pokedex. I smiled, all though I felt I hardly needed one. I had already learned just about everything the pokedex could tell me. "Not just any pokedex" my dad commented, "This is the newest one. Not only can you use it to capture pokemon, but it also allows you to switch pokemon right from your pokedex. It essentially takes the place of pokeballs"

This thing was cool. I was surprised I had never heard of one before. And then I remembered that my dad worked at Pokemon Inc. These were probably their most recent products.

The next present was shaped much like a book. And that could only mean one thing. It was a book. "The Top 1,000 Things Not to Do as a New Trainer" By Ash Ketchum. This was his latest release. Undoubtedly it would provide some interesting reading.

Two of the other boxes contained clothes. One was a black baseball cap with an electric symbol on the front, and the other was a black wind breaker style jacket. The last present was a leather wallet with about $500 in it. "That should hold you for a while, provided you use it all on food, that is" Dad explained.

"And what happens if I do run out?" I asked.

"Just give me a call and I'll send you some more money. But remember, I expect you to use that money on food." Dad replied.

I nodded understandingly. "So where's my pokemon?" I burst. This was what I was waiting for. Dad knew it, and so naturally he was going to make me wait for it.

"You get right to the point don't you" He laughed, "You already have your pokemon"

"Huh?"

"It's already proggramed into your pokedex" He explained.

"Cool!" I exclaimed pushing the 'on' button. It imediatly came up with a list of the pokemon on my 'belt'. Of course there was only one, and that was Plusle. I pressed the 'release' button on the pokedex and it appeared in a beam of crimson light.

It was a small lightly yellow colored pokemon, with floppy red ears, two addition signs on it's cheeks, and a tail shaped much like an addition sign itself.

"Plusssle, plus" It called running towards me on all fours and landing on my lap. It brought it's nose up to sniff my face. I smiled at it and patted it on the head. It was very cute.

Plusle started licking my hand. It's tounge was smooth and warm, and it gave me a tingling feeling. "So you like her?" Dad asked.

"Of course I like her" I replied as she crawled up on my shoulder and started licking my face.

My dad asked me things of the sort all the time to make sure that I really liked his presents. I said that I liked them everytime, even when I didn't. He was very sensative, and I felt that it was better to lie to him just to keep him from getting all bummed out.

About 10 minutes later, after I had finished packing, me and Plusle finally walked out the door. I let Plusle walk beside me, not because she didn't like being contained in the pokedex, but because it was good exercize for her and that would make her a stronger pokemon. I couldn't imagine it was fun to be cooped up in a small container all day with barely any room to move, though.

The first thing to do was to get to the pokemon center to register for the Shrine League. The Shrine League was a rather large league spread out between the Shrine Islands. Most of the islands contained two or more gyms, and you had to earn 12 badges to compete in the Shrine League. This not only was harder to achieve than most other leagues, but it also made trainers stronger for the league. Some of the strongest trainers in the world had come out of the Shrine League, and it was not suprising.

My hometown, Sunrise Town, was located on the northern end of the Shrine islands on an island called Alpha Island. Alpha Island had three cities including Sunrise town. The other two cities both contained gyms.

I arived at the pokemon center a few minutes later. The nurse took my pokedex and entered it into a machine of some sort. Within a couple of seconds I had been loaded onto the league server. The nurse said that it would allow the league to see my record at any time they wanted to.

I wandered back outside. I was sort of reluctant to leave town, but I couldn't think of anything to do here. All my friends had left on their journies a 2 years ago when they should have. I had kept in touch with them while they were in the Shrine League, but then they left to other leagues and I had lost touch with them. Sunrise was not exactly loaded with things to do.

"Hey" A small voice said from behind me. I whirled around. A small kid stood behind me. He looked to be about 10 and he was holding a pokeball in his hand. Messy brown hair covered his eyes completly so I couldn't see their color. He wore a blue t-shirt with a picture of a squirtle on it, jeans, and small shoes with red X's on them. "Wanna battle?" He asked.

I nodded, "Is this your first battle?"

"Yeah, I just got my pokemon today"

"Really, me too, lets test each other"

"Ok, I choose Trapinch" The boy called. A small orange colored pokemon with a head that appeared way to large for it's own body appeared out of it's pokeball. "Pinch Trapinch" It growled.

"Plusle, let's see what your made of"

Plusle ran out from behind me and stood on all fours glaring at it's opponent.

"Plusle thundershock"

Plusle stepped foreward, electrical energy flying from it's cheeks. Trapinch was surrounded in a yellow glow, but it didn't seem to phase him.

"Darn I forgot, Trapinch is a ground type" I cursed feeling slightly embarrased.

"Trapinch Bite"

Trapinch scurried foreward on all four legs and lept for Plusle, bitting down hard on thin air. Plusle had dodged backwards just in time to remain out of reach of it's opponent.

"Plusle, Quick Attack"

Plusle ran towards Trapinch at full speed catching it off gaurd. Trapinch fell over on it's back and started waving it's legs in the air.

"Trapinch, roll back over and use a faint attack"

"Plusle, don't let it get up, tackle it"

Plusle lept onto Trapinch's stomach pinning it to the ground so it couldn't move.

"Good job Plusle, finish it off with a slam"

Plusle lept into the air and brought it's body down full force onto Trapinch's. Plusle's weight wasn't much but it was enough to knock the wind out of the low level Trapinch. Trapinch began gasping for air.

Plusle lept into the air once more, this time it was to much for it's weakened foe. Trapinch became limp. "Return Trapinch" It's trainer called.

Trapinch re-entered his pokeball via the same crimson beam that had brought it out. I felt a wave of excitment rush through me. I had won my first pokemon battle. And Plusle hadn't even taken a single hit. This was surely a good sign.

"Good match" I said holding out my hand.

The kid was no longer there...

Tha Legend
3rd May 2003, 01:34 AM
I for one think this is a great start. New area, non starter, and the ASh Ketchum book holds much potential for humor. Keep it up.

totodilelover
3rd May 2003, 03:39 PM
Wow, really great story. It is original, new league, pluse as a starter but givin by his dad. This is great. Can't wait for next chapter.

Deathman
3rd May 2003, 09:31 PM
Thank you all for your replies, here's Chapter 2

Chapter 2
"Where'd ya go man" I called.

There was no sign of a reply. The kid obviously didn't want to talk to me, or else he would have stuck around to talk. I wasn't about to waist my breath trying to find him so that he could scream in my face about beating him. Besides, if I didn't get out of town soon my mom would probably wake up and chase me with a broom. Trying not think too much about that, I made my way to the edge of town.

Upon leaving town I entered Sunray Forest, a small forest that seperated Sunrise from my next destination, Daybreak City. There was a small path leading through the forest, connecting the two towns. It was only about 5 miles long, so I didn't think that I would be walking for much more than 2 hours before I arrived at Daybreak.

I was only a few minutes into the forest when I realized that I hadn't eaten anything yet today. I stopped and pulled out my cheese sandwhich that I had packed before I left. Plusle looked at it longingly. Apparently she hadn't eaten yet today either.

I broke off a small piece of the sandwhich and gave it to Plusle. Then I sat down with my back resting against a large birch tree and began eating my portion. Plusle quickly finished hers and began staring at mine. "Go on now. No more for you" I said.

In half a second she had lept into my arms and had a hold of my sandwhich. I swiped at the sandwhich with my hand but she ran ahead down the path as fast as she could. Rising quickly to my feet I followed her down the path.

For a while I thought I was going to catch her but as soon as I got near her she sped up. She was depriving me of half my sandwhich, and I was still hungry. And she thought I was playing a game with her.

Without warning another pokemon swept down and releaved Plusle of my sandwhich. The newcommer was a Wingull, a small bird pokemon that looked much like a seagull. It swooped up high with my food and started to stear off the path and into the forest. Plusle didn't like this at all. Her face turned nearly beat red with anger, and she shot three bolts of electricity after the bird while shouting her name angrilly.

One of the three jolts hit the wingull. The other two soared past into the sky. My sandwhich fell out of the astonished birds mouth and landed on the dirty forest floor right at my feat. I picked it up and put it back into it's bag.

The wingull turned back and swooped angrilly down at Plusle. "Plusle use your thundershock" I called.

Plusle didn't even need the command. Before I had even spoken she had already fired two electrical jolts at the oncomming bird pokemon. Wingull was surrounded with a brief electrical glow. It cried out in pain, then fell to the ground at about the point where my sandwhich had landed. I pulled out my pokedex and pressed the convenient capture button. A small red beam pulled Wingull from the ground into my pokedex.

I breathed heavilly. All's well that ends well, I thought. Plusle rubbed plafully up against my leg. "Stupid suckup" I said under my breath, "atleast you caught me that Wingull"

My sandwhich was not nearly as good as it would have been if it hadn't have been dropped in dirt earlier. Plusle was going to need some training in obedience if she was to remain outside of her pokeball. If she had stolen the food from another trainer I could have gotten into deep trouble.

I spent the rest of the morning walking. It was a nice day. It was quite warm, but there was also a nice breeze to balance it out. My mood rose quickly with the sun, and as noon approached I had already forgiven Plusle. After Wingull had been resting in the pokedex for a while I allowed it out to fly along with Plusle. Him and Plusle did not seem to hit it off very well. They ignored each other for the most part.

By 12:30 the woods began to clear, and the path sloped downwards into the busy streets of Daybreak City. Daybreak was a rather large port town that provided all boat transportation for Alpha Island. It was home to a decent sized market place, and of course a gym. People came from all over the league to battle the gym leader. This was the closest thing Alpha Island had to a trade city.

My first stop was the pokemon center. It was located right on the edge of town where trainers could easilly get to it. The nurse in the center restored, and fed both my pokemon. I was hoping this would fill Plusle up enough that he wouldn't be inclined to steal any more food.

Next, I made a stop at the market to feed myself. The food at the market was way over priced but with $500 to spend I didn't feel the need to hold back.

"Has your kid started his journey yet?"

"Yes, but I don't see why you care so much about it"

"I have plans for him"

"I thought you said that our famillies wouldn't be involved with any of your plans."

"I did, but Eugene isn't technically part of your familly is he?"

"His last name is the same as mine, and I raised him, he is in my familly as much as my wife is."

"Hehehe, it doesn't matter, you can't do anything about it anyways"

"Why? Why not someone else?"

"Because Eugene is perfect for the task, because his father happens to work so close to me, because I have spies all over the place ready to direct him in the right direction, because it is very possible that he is the only one who can complete my plans."

"And what if I stop working so close to you?"

"You lose your job, your money, and most likely your life."

I stood on one end of the large gym like arena. My opponent stood on the other side. He was a large, overweight kid who wore a a long black shirt on it and baggy jeans. Wearing such loose clothing helped make him look less fat. His name was Mitch, and we were both here at the training center to train our pokemon for the gym battle we would be having later.

"You can choose first" He said.

He only wanted me to choose first so he could choose a pokemon that was strong against mine, but I didn't care. It didn't matter if won or lost this battle as long as I got the training I needed to challenge the gym leader.

"Fine, I choose Plusle"

I pulled out my pokedex and selected Plusle to be released. As the Plusle was released from the pokeball Mitch stared at it wide-eyed. "Man that thing is cool. Where'd ya get it?" He asked.

"I dunno, I got it as a birthday present from my dad." I replied.

"I see. I want one really bad now, they looks so cool. Anyways, I choose Doduo"

Doduo appeared from his pokeball to face off against Plusle. "Plusle, it should be weak against you unless I'm forgetting something. Use your thunderbolt."

"You are forgetting something, Doduo technically doesn't fly, so unless he is jumping your electric attacks don't have any extra effect" Mitch reminded me, "Doduo, double team"

Doduo split his body into three seperate images, only one of them was the real Doduo. Plusle looked around confused. "Plusle, try the middle one"

Plussle aimed an electrical blast towards the middle image of doduo. Apparently it was just an illusion because no damage was done. The middle image of doduo disapeared with a popping sound. "Doduo, peck"

The remaining two birds rushed foreward towards Plusle. They closed the gap between them and Plusle faster than I had imagined they would be able to. Plusle managed to shoot down another copy before the strong beak of the real one smashed into it's skull. Plusle put it's hands over it's head to keep it safe from another peck attack. "Plusle, put your hands down and quick attack it"

"Doduo, Megakick"

Plusle didn't hear me. While covering up his head he had also placed his hands over his ears. I couldn't do anything but watch as the two-headed bird smashed it's food straight into Plusle's stomach. Plusle flew backwards landing at my feet. It tried to get up but Doduo had already gotten close enough to attack again. A large bird foot was brought down hard onto Plusle's head knocking it out cold. "Plusle return" I called, sending Plusle back into my pokedex.

"Nice job Doduo, let's see if you can pull that kind of performance for his next pokemon" Mitch complimented.

"I don't think so, you won't even be able to reach my next pokemon" I called, selecting Wingull from pokedex. "Go Wingull."

Wingull appeared from the pokedex and began to fly high up into the air above Doduo's head. "Wingull water gun"

Wingull opened it's beak and released a long stream of water at it's opponent on the ground. Doduo fell over sideways from the water preasure, which beat hard against it's side. "I would suggest you recall Doduo, or else he could take quite a beating. You know there is no way Doduo will ever hit Wingull." I suggested.

"Your right. Return Doduo. Go Pidgey" Mitch called releasing Pidgey from a pokeball on his belt.

"Hit it from far away with another Water Gun, Wingull" I commanded.

Wingull fired another stream of water from it's mouth, this time at the newly released Pidgey. "Pidgey, gust. Blow the water aside"

Pidgey began flapping it's wings to create a powerful wind. The stream of water aimed for it broke apart and sprayed in many different directions. "Good job Pidgey, now use Quick Attack on it"

There was not much Wingull could have done to dodge Pidgey. It wasn't fast enough to dodge Pidgey when it was using a quick attack. The seagull-like pokemon was slammed hard by Pidgey. It spun out of flight and hit the ground hard.

"Wingull, try to get back up and use mist to fog up the arena."

Wingull pulled itself from the ground and released a warm, calming mist from it's mouth into the arena. Soon all most nothing was visable. "Good job Wingull, now use Pursuit to catch it off gaurd"

Wingull flew smoothly and gracefully into the mist searching for it's opponent. I couldn't see what else happened out after that, but through the mist I heard a loud screach of pain from pidgey. "Pidgey, use quick attack" Mitch called.

There was no recognition of his orders. Pidgey had fainted...

totodilelover
3rd May 2003, 09:50 PM
This is another really good chapter. You go into great detail and it's a good length. I think your going to become a good writer and people are going to recognize you. Keep it up and can't wait for the next chapter.

Deathman
3rd May 2003, 10:07 PM
Thank you. I hope your right.

*shadow*
6th May 2003, 06:16 AM
wow! this is a really cool story Deathman! I love the way you describe your characters- not to little or too much detail, just enough to give depth. Your character's aready developing, and like veryones already said, I reckon you'll be a really good author as well :D keep it up! can't wait for the next chappie! :)

Deathman
8th May 2003, 06:56 PM
My apoligies for the waiting time and for the shortness of the chapter. The next one should be longer by quite a bit.

Chapter 3
I stood before the gym, a large building near the edge of town. No one seemed to be hanging out in this part of town. It was like a ghost street. I gulped down my nervousness and stepped up to the door. I knocked on the door lightly. There was no reply. Harder. Still no reply. Finally I banged my shaking fists against the door as hard as I could. Eugene calm down, you're a nervous wreck, I thought to myself.

The doors opened slowly into a large arena. Various plants had been planted from one end of the arena to the other. A old man sat calmly in a wheel chair at the other end of the room. His eyes were closed, but he acknowledged me as though he could see me. "Welcome to the Daybreak City Gym. I am George Ivy, the gym leader. What is your name?" He asked in a loud, almost mechanical voice that set my nerves on edge.

"My name is Eugene Walker, sir. I've come to earn a... a.. the badge thing you give out to people who beat you"

"The Growth badge? I guessed that. Are you ready to battle. We will each use 3 pokemon, let the battle begin." He called throwing a pokeball to the ground revealing his first pokemon. "Bellsprout" the pokemon called in a mechanical voice that reminded me of it's trainers'.

This was all moving way to fast. I had just entered the gym and I was already in a 3 on 3 pokemon battle with the gym leader. But I only had two pokemon. I didn't know what to say. It would be stupid to say that I didn't have enough pokemon to battle him after the battle had already begun. I should've done more research on the gym before I took it on. I picked a randomly between Plusle and Wingull on my pokedex. I didn't care what pokemon I used. I didn't even have a clue what I was doing. I was just here, in the middle of a battle with a trainer who was going to be using one more pokemon than me and my mind wasn't working right.

Wingull shot up into the battle. The bird pokemon looked down at me expecting an order. I gave none. What the heck is wrong with you Eugene, you've never done this before. What do you have to worry about. It's just a pokemon battle, A voice screamed in my head. The nervous grip on my brain let go a little and I could think clearly once again.

Wingull looked at me with a hint of worry in his eyes. "Wingull, fly up high and stay out of it's reach" I called.

Wingull raised it's self up to the very top of the room where multiple plant lights had been hung to feed the plants with light. "Bellsprout, razor leaf"

Bellsprout waved it's arms through the air. Two razor sharp leafs detatched from it's body and shot through the air towards Wingull. "Wingull, use water gun to knock the leaves aside and then dive bomb Bellsprout."

A jet of water flowed with an unfailing accuracy towards the leafs that Bellsprout had sent at Wingull. Both of them fell to the side missing their target entirely. Wingull spread it's wings far apart, aimed itself at Bellsprout, and swept down at the highest speed it could muster. "Bellsprout, defend yourself with a vinewhip"

Two long vines whipped out from Bellsprout's side. They lashed out at the oncomming bird pokemon and sent it flying to the side. "Good job Bellsprout. Now constrict it."

Wingull tried to back out of range from the vines but he was caught in midflight. The vine surrounded him, preventing him from moving. "Wingull, hit Bellsprout with water gun"

Bellsprout twisted Wingull around in it's vine so that no matter how hard Wingull tried he could not get into the right position to aim a water gun at it's opponent. There was no way I could win this battle. Bellsprout began to tighten it's grip on Wingull so that the bird pokemon could no longer breath.

"Wingull return" I called, pressing the return button on my pokedex.

I was going to lose this battle badly. I had not expected the gym leader to be this tough. Nor had I expected him to use 3 pokemon. I felt like a fool. If I had done any research on the gym at all I would have known to bring 3 pokemon with me and to make one of them a fire type. I was dead now. Unless, of course, Plusle could take out 3 of the gym leaders pokemon is a row. I didn't think so, especially since Grass was resistant to electricity.

"Choose your pokemon" The gym leader droned.

The way he talked, it sounded like I was just another weak trainer that came in with high expectations just to get shot down quickly because he never trained. Which I was. But I didn't want him to think that. "Plusle go. I'm counting on you."

"Bellsprout, absorb"

Bellsprout glew a bright orange. Multiple bubbles shot from it's body towards Plusle. Bolts of thunder were shot from Plusle's cheeks at the bubbles, but the electric attack was absorbed.

I realized suddenly, Plusle wasn't attaking the bubbles. The bubbles were drawing Plusle's electricity out of her. "Plusle, try a physical attack... errr, Quick Attack"

Plusle lept foreward at a great speed towards Bellsprout, but Bellsprout was already prepared. Plusle was lifted from the ground by one of Bellsprout's long vines and placed into much the same position that Wingull had been in.

I didn't feel that there was much point in keeping Plusle in the battle. I had lost any chance of victory. "Plusle return" I called, pushing the return button on the pokedex. And then to avoid the embarrasment of admitting that I had only had two pokemon I simply walked out the door. The gym leader didn't even seem to notice until after I had left the gym, and only then I heard a cry of confusion from him.

I sat in the waiting room at the pokemon center while my pokemon were in the ER. I felt like a complete idiot for my mistake. It wasn't usual for me to just rush into things. I should have known that one training battle wouldn't be enough. Perhaps the excitment of starting my journey with pokemon had blinded my judgement.

"Is something wrong, sir?"

I looked up, surprised. The kid with the Trapinch who I had beaten earlier had taken a seat next to me. "No" I replied flatly, knowing that it would do know good to have him knowing about my mistake.

"Just checking, you haven't met any strange people lately have you? People who seem especially interested in you?" He asked.

"Other than you, no."

The kid nodded and walked out of the pokemon center without another word. What's up with him?, I asked myself. That kid just kept appearing and disapearing, and now I knew it wasn't just poor sportsmanship. I was actually being watched.

SneaselReborned
8th May 2003, 07:26 PM
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

I like it! Its not win, win, win, win, win, and the Trapinch boy seems freaky. Meh, this seems cool.

Deathman
12th May 2003, 10:15 PM
Again, I apoligize for the wait. Here is chapter 4.

Chapter 4
"I'm home"

"..."

"Look, I'm sorry about Eugene. But I just couldn't stand watching him stay at home any longer"

"..."

"I can't go back and fix it, and even if I could I wouldn't. You're being unreasonable. You know it. I know it. He knows it."

"..."

"Perhaps I should go for a road trip and give you some time to cool off"

"..."

"Bye"

I had returned to Sunray Forest once again to capture another pokemon. It was late in the afternoon, and although it was hot the trees did a nice job of blocking out the sun. This was also the time of day that the most pokemon were out. They were everywhere, but unfortunatly they were all either of a type I already had in my team, or of the bug type which I considered nearly useless.

After a while of walking around aimlessly, Wingull, who had been flying high above the trees looking for pokemon let out a cry. He swooped down into the trees ahead of me and all I could hear was the sound of his water gun. Me and Plusle dashed towards the noise.

We entered a clearing just a ways ahead of us. Wingull had attacked a young stantler. Apparently the rest of it's herd had abandoned him when Wingull attacked. Though it didn't seem to matter. Despite his size the young stantler was giving Wingull a run for his money.

Wingull fired what I could only assume to be another water gun at the young, dear-like pokemon. Stantler lept sideways out of the way of Wingull's water gun attack, and right into a bolt of electricity that Plusle had fired at the same moment. Stantler became unsteady for a moment, before being knocked over completly by a tackle from Wingull.

I pressed the capture button on my pokedex. A red beam surrounded Stantler for a moment, pulling him into my pokedex. A small pokeball appeared on the screen with Stantler in it. The red and white ball rolled around a couple of times before breaking open. Stantler shot back out of my pokedex and stood on the ground, ready to fend off both Plusle and Wingull at once.

` "Darn, looks like this battle isn't over yet. Wingull, hose Stantler down with a water gun"

Wingull soared above Stantler. A small stream of water flowed from his beak splashing on Stantler's back. Stantler shook the water off, but he was still wet, which was exactly what I wanted. The wild Stantler fixed it's gaze on Wingull, forgetting all about Plusle.

"Good job Wingull. Plusle thunderbolt"

Plusle stood on all fours. A beam of electricity shot from his body straight into the already wet Stantler. Stantler staggered once again, this time he didn't even need the extra nudge from Wingull. He had fainted. Wingull had also fallen. Apparently Stantler had used hypnosis when it was looking at Wingull.

I fired two beams from my pokedex. One withdrew Wingull, and the other caught Stantler who didn't even put up a fight.

"Where are you now?"

"What is it with you, isn't it enough that you won't stop harrasing me at work without having to call me up on my cell phone?"

"No. You see, I need you."

"Well.... I'm don't really need you very much. The only thing I'm getting from you is my paycheck and as long as I do my job I'm not obligated to do anything else for you."

"This is a part of your job"

:"Since when?"

"Since I made it a part"

"..."

"Don't get so mad at me. You do realize that with our help your son could be the one responsible for saving this corupted planet...."

"Depends on your definition of save now, doesn't it."

"Yes well, I suppoes it would"

I was at loose ends. I was sick of battling for the day, tired, and the only thing holding me back from going to sleep was the fact that it was only 4:00 and I had nowhere to stay for the night. Being a pokemon trainer was not as easy as they made it look on tv.

I made my way back to town. The once busy streets had thinned out and only a few people stood in line at the market booths. I stood in line and picked up a bag of potato chips and a Mountain Dew. I figured a little cafine wouldn't hurt me.

Without warning I felt something hard hit my head and landed a few feat away. I whirled around and drew my pokedex from the jacket that I had recieved earlier so that I could release a pokemon to fight the thrower of the rock.

I couldn't see anyone, however I felt a strong pull on my pokedex and it shot from my hands into the air. "What the heck is going on? Whoever is there give me back my pokedex" I screamed.

A magneton floated around the corner. It's trainer was apparently hiding somewhere so I couldn't see them, but Magneton charged at me with all it's force. Small bolts of electricty flew from it's body towards me. As the electrical bolts hit I felt pain flow through my body.

I stood until the pain was to great. And then I kneeled, screaming for help the whole time. I thought I might have seen someone come but I couldn't be sure because my vision was already starting to fade.

"Do you think he will be ok?"

"Probably, he's not entirely normal... I mean in a good way"

"Ummm.. what do you mean by that?"

"Nevermind, you wouldn't understand"

"Are you calling me stupid?"

"No. I'm saying that I don't trust you. We just happened to be the closest trainers when he was attacked. I don't even know your name"

"... I don't like you very much."

"Good for you. Does that mean I don't have to listen to you anymore?"

I woke up in the hospital. No one was in the room with me but I could hear voices outside in the hall. I instinctivly checked my pocket for my pokedex. It was there. "Thank god" I whispered.

As soon as I sat up the door opened. Two people walked in. One of them was the Trapinch kid. I almost wasn't surprised to see him. He seemed to have a thing with just showing up. The other was a girl about my age. Her face was covered in messy brown hair which she obviously hadn't taken the time to fix correctly. She wore a baggy, black t-shirt, baggy jeans, and sandles. I couldn't help but notice that she dressed very much like a tomboy.

"Errrr, what happened?" I asked, looking around from the Trapinch boy to the girl who was standing at foot of my bed sizing me up.

"You were attacked. We didn't see the attacker so we don't know anymore" The Trapinch kid replied.

"It wouldn't have been one of those strange people you warned me about?" I asked sarcastically. I didn't really like the Trapinch kid's attitude. I didn't even know the kids name and he was already following me around everywhere.

"It could have been."

I sighed. I didn't like having things being kept from me. Since when was I so special as to deserve having a kid spying on me.