PDA

View Full Version : what can tpm stand for??

PancaKe
1st May 2006, 07:39 AM
Okay, I want to mention TPM in my classes as for my extension 2 english course, I do gather a lot of inspiration from the fanfic forum. However, I am NOT putting in my assessments "well the pokemasters fanstorys forum was great inspiration" because.. well you can kinda get my point.

So far the best I've come up with is "an online writing community" and "the prose masters" but...
eh I'd like your suggestions on what TPM could stand for relating to fiction.

Please??

Greyfox
1st May 2006, 08:51 AM
Thought Provoking Milestones. Yeah...

-drew

Dark Dragonite
1st May 2006, 09:03 AM
The
Provocative
Minds

:)

And for April Fool's Day...The Pot(head) Masters

Lady Vulpix
1st May 2006, 09:09 AM
I don't quite get it. Is this fiction or reality? Why do you want to keep the acronym and change its meaning?

PancaKe
1st May 2006, 09:53 AM
Its more in the sense, I want to use it as part of my class work. I want to put it in the bibliography and in my speech.
But I dont want to stand up and say something like "kids at a pokemon forum helped me" - so I figured It'd sound smarter if anybody asked what TPM stood for instead of saying "the pokmasters" I could be like "hmm Thought Provoking Milestones" or something.
^_^

Lady Vulpix
1st May 2006, 10:04 AM
Ah, so you want to lie. I see. Though technically, hardly anyone at TPM is a kid anymore.

mr_pikachu
1st May 2006, 07:39 PM
Thought Production Methods
Thought-Provoking Mentality
The Phonetic MENSA

Erm, yeah. Or why not just tell them the truth? Who knows; that might actually be a way to get people to come here.

Shameless advertising is your friend. ^_^

Mega Horny
1st May 2006, 08:53 PM
Three Possible Mangos

PancaKe
2nd May 2006, 04:23 AM
Ah, so you want to lie. I see. Though technically, hardly anyone at TPM is a kid anymore.

yes. exactly.
well today in my assessment I referred to it as "online writing community" and i'll put it in my bibliogragphy later.
but yeah.

Saffire Persian
2nd May 2006, 09:53 PM
You could just leave it as an acronym, and just say TPM. XD Then it can be all mysterious like. XD Maybe people would want to know what community you go to, then. o.o; I wonder if they'd even believe it. XDXD

darktyranitar
3rd May 2006, 05:04 AM
Never underestimate the witers of TPM... What? Do you think that liking Pokemon means that we're still immature?

And I wonder much as SP, will they believe if they were told that TPM could provide some good piece of writing...

Gavin Luper
3rd May 2006, 07:09 AM
I know where you're coming from Tara. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but just say TPM - an online writing community or something, and if they ask for more info, just say it's a private group or something ... and that it stands for Thought Provoking Milestones. Heh. Good luck.

Greyfox
3rd May 2006, 11:31 PM
*quickly creates a site called Thought-Provoking Milestones*

-drew

Saffire Persian
3rd May 2006, 11:44 PM
Never underestimate the witers of TPM... What? Do you think that liking Pokemon means that we're still immature?

My mother likes to think so. XD... I actually had the courage to let her read one of my one-shots though. 0_o She thought I was as weird as heck. Off topic... but I like the sound of "Online Writers Community" It makes us sound "Special" ^^:.

Dark Dragonite
4th May 2006, 06:03 AM
You do realize, people are probably get interested, and ask where it is, and technically, don't you have to put a website in too, cause www.pokemasters.net/forums is a dead giveaway.

mr_pikachu
4th May 2006, 06:10 AM
That depends largely on what type of citation is required - and more importantly, whether citation of references is required at all. (I've had teachers who haven't required it, and even the occasional college professor, moronically enough.) If the teacher doesn't require any method of citation, or if the citation style is very casual (although few are, and certainly none of the major ones like MLA or APA), then that might be something that you could potentially get away with.

Of course, if the teacher were, as DD mentioned, to become intrigued and look up the site, then there might be a bit of a problem with making a false citation. Some teachers would consider that plagiarism (most of mine would, anyway), and you could be in some serious trouble there, depending on the attitudes of your teacher and the administration.

Not to mention that it's just nice to point people in the direction of the forums every once in awhile. You can advertise! Be proud of it! :yes:

EDIT: If you're really afraid of using TPM as a reference, you could always say you got advice from people on fanfiction.net. See how well that goes over with them.

(Anyone who's ever talked to me, even briefly, knows how I feel about ff.net. :P)

PancaKe
4th May 2006, 08:59 AM
I'd rather admit I go to a pokemon website than reference fanfiction.net.
I'd rather slit my wrists with rusty barbed wire than reference fanfiction.net
I think I've made my point clear =)
Now we all know how I feel about fanfiction.net
Not all writers are bad.
But that doesnt mean that they're good.

Dark Dragonite
4th May 2006, 09:40 AM
I'm starting a short story, that will probably get me into fan fics...
I'm not afraid, all my gfs, and most friends know I come here, it would be a good thing to get some fresh blood in these old veins

Blademaster
4th May 2006, 04:15 PM
(Anyone who's ever talked to me, even briefly, knows how I feel about ff.net. :P)

Ummmmmmmm... You hate it? :oh:

Saffire Persian
4th May 2006, 04:53 PM
(Anyone who's ever talked to me, even briefly, knows how I feel about ff.net. )

I'm very curious on your view as well. o.o I find FF.net as a place that happens to be both Heaven and Hell at the same time.

I've seen some extraordinary writers on that site. And I mean extraordinary. Want a good FMA fic over there? I can give you one that'll blow you away.

But then again, on the other side, I have never had the horror of seeing the most horrid or horrid "noob" fics in my life. Seriously XD ... it makes me want to go and throw my AP English textbook at them.

darktyranitar
4th May 2006, 07:28 PM
@ mr_pikachu's quote: Yeah, I have heard from someone else that mr_pikachu really hatres ff.net. Hmm, perhaps I should see this ff.net someday to see what's good/bad about it.

Blademaster
4th May 2006, 10:08 PM
What's good: 3% of all stories of all categories.
What's bad: Everything else.

Saffire Persian
5th May 2006, 04:20 PM
@ Blademaster's comment.

EXACTLY. Just browse through the first few stories of the Pokémon section of www.fanfiction.net and you'll see what I mean. XD

darktyranitar
6th May 2006, 05:07 AM
Point taken. With all that amount of fic that keep pouring in, there's bound to be bad bunches there.

Anyway, let's not get off topic. So Pancake, anyone ask about TPM?

PancaKe
13th May 2006, 08:18 AM
Hahaha.
No.
I told them I went to ff.net and they all laughed at me.
Not really but it'd be funny. I was just like "online writing community." and gave shifty eyes and they just nodded and gave me 17 out of 20. ^_^ which is an A range mark, which is great!!

Hmm... but I still have my major work to write.
*runs off to post it*