PDA

View Full Version : The Omada League

Deathman
12th August 2003, 11:31 PM
This is a writting exercize for me. I doubt I will ever finish it, and I seriously doubt I will get very far into it, but as long as people show interest in the story and give me feed back I will try to continue it.

The Omada League
By Deathman
Introduction

I stepped into the lab. The screen door shut silently behind me. I quickly surveyed the room. Most of the kids on the team I didn't know, the majority of them going to the school for kids that lived on the other side of Kanoniko City. None of the kids appeared to be older than me, which meant that none of them were over 13, and the youngest kid seemed to be about 10.

I did recognize a couple kids from my school though. One of them was in 6th grade, one grade below me. Joey was a certified nerd through and through. He even had the glasses and lab coat. He should have been in 5th grade but he skipped ahead a grade so that he could do work that met his level of learning. The other kid, David, was in my class. He wasn't very popular, although he didn't exactly ask to be popular either. He came from a familly of psychics, naturally he was blessed with the talent as well. His problem was that both him and his familly felt that anyone who wasn't psychic was inferior, and nobody likes to hang around somebody like that, so David was ignored for the most part.

I took a seat at the large circular table in the center of the room where all of my team mates were sitting next to Joey and put my back pack on the floor. Joey was a nice kid, although he came across as weird sometimes, we got along for the most part. "Hi Travis" Joey said using my full name, most of my friends just called me Trav.

"Hey Joey" I replied casually.

I was the last kid to arrive. Me, all 9 of my teamates, and Professor Xylo sat around the table. The professor stood up and cleared his throat. He wasn't very tall, actually he was quite short, standing only about 4 feet tall. His head was bold with the exception of a little tuft of gray hair that he kept on the right side of his head. He was really an awkward sight to behold.

"Welcome young trainers to my lab" Professor Xylo squeaked. A couple girls who had apparently never hear him talk before began to giggle. "That will be enough" He continued in his shrill voice, "Each of you has been chosen randomly, that means none of you had any special qualities that got you picked, so you can stop feeling special. You will each be recieving a pokemon that I have chosen for you. Please come up to get it when I call your name"

"Nicole Sanders"

A young black haired girl who looked to be about 11 stepped up to Professor Xylo and recieved her pokemon and a set of five pokeballs for catching pokemon with. As soon as she got back to her seat she released her pokemon from it's pokeball. A sandshrew appeared in a flash of crimson. It immediatly lept into her lap and she started petting it.

"David Henley"

David released his pokemon from it's pokeball as soon as he got it to reveal a Ralts. It didn't surprise me that David had recieved a psychic pokemon, but I was still jealous. Psychic pokemon were suppoesed to be the most powerful type.

"Cassandra Badershall"

A cute blond haired girl who appeared to be about my age stepped. I couldn't help checking her out as she stood up to recieve her pokemon; which turned out to be a Mudkip. I literaly had to tear my eyes off of her when the professor called the next name.

"Billy Bunch"

The kid who I had noticed to be about ten years old stood up. He was a pudgy little kid with very short brown hair. He ended up getting a Trapinch. Once again I felt very jealous. Trapinch wasn't a very strong pokemon but it would evolve into a Flygon which would make very valubal companion.

"Travis Garner"

I stood up and walked around the table so that I was standing right infront of the professor and looked down on him. It was an awkward feeling, looking down on an authority figure like Professor Xylo. I almost felt the need to bend my knees so that I could look him straight in the eye. "Here" He squeaked, handing me a pokeball containing my pokemon and six empty pokeballs for catching wild pokemon with.

I released my pokemon as soon as I sat down. Immediatly everything else slipped my mind. The pokemon I had gotten was a small water spider like pokemon called Surskit. I didn't know much about my new pokemon other than that it was a water pokemon and that it could skate on the top of water with it's legs. Surskit wasn't mentioned often in our lessons. "Sur" It called, climbing up the legging of my pants to sit on my lap.

The Omada League was different from many of the other modern leagues at the time. Instead of traveling through the league and winning badges as an individual, each town would send a team of 10 pokemon trainers out to collect badges from other town's gyms. Once each member of a team had collected 8 badges the team was allowed to enter the Omada League.

Once in the league the teams from each town would participate in tag team battles against each other until a champion was decided. The winning town would recieve a $10,000 grant for it's school system, and each of the team members would recieve $1000 for leisure spending.

"Hey little buddy" I said looking deep into the cute round eyes of my pokemon.

"Sur" It replied shooting a bubble out of a point on the top of it's head. At first I was scared that it had tried to attack me, but the bubble popped in mid air before it even touched me. I could only assume that if it really wanted to attack me it would have sent more bubbles and they would have actually hit me.

Joey sat down beside me with his new pokemon. A small magnemite floated a couple inches above his head. I couldn't help but think that Magnemite was a very fitting pokemon for him, though I wonder why the heck the professor had selected a water spider type pokemon for me. I placed my hands around Surskit mindlessly and turned to watch the professor give out the rest of the pokemon. I was interested to find out the names of my companions.

"Chris Turner"

A kid who looked to be about my age stepped up from the table. He was wearing a pair of baggy jeans, a baggy t-shirt with a picture of a dragon printed on the front and a black baseball cap with flames drawn around the bottom and on the flap. The attention of most of the girls in the room fell on him. When I had been up none of the girls had even bothered to look at me. For the third time in the last 10 minutes I felt jealous. His pokemon turned out to be a Houndour.

"And last but not least, Angela White" The professor called. The other kids must have been called while I was paying attention to Surskit. I made a mental note to catch up with their names later.

A girl with long, semi-wavy, red hair stood up to recieve her pokemon. The professor handed it to her and began talking again. I wasn't paying attention to him though, as I was more interested in the pokemon that she had gotten. To my surprise she didn't even release it from it's pokeball.

"Aren't you going to show us what you got?" I hissed across the table.

She shook her head, "Not now"

"Why not?"

To be continued....

I won't be able to get another chapter up for a while because I'm going to a camp tomorrow and won't be back until Saturday. (Not that anyone cares because this is just the introduction, but if I don't put up another chapter right away it doesn't mean that I'm not going to work on one.)

DannyBoy
13th August 2003, 12:41 AM
I am impressed on your fic! So far this is original with the starters and place. THe characters and the league seem really cool! FOr a starting of a fic and I have never seen a fic from you before I am in shock. THis has good description of each character and what pokemon they each got. You left it with a good cliff hanger and it is a ok length for a introduction and I bet you will make them longer for other chapters. I think this is good, I definitally will keep reading! Keep it up!

Deathman
13th August 2003, 12:45 AM
Wow, that was fast. I'm glad you liked it. I have tried sending a couple other fics in but they both died so I'm giving it another go.

Powarun
13th August 2003, 01:11 AM
Deathman, I would call this a great start, the main character is round, not literally, wait lititurely, meaning he has charactistics. The pokemon he started with is a good choice, I like it, really I do, and the kid who has the houndour should be jealous of Travis, a Surskit has full advatage over it, being a water bug, conquers dark and fire. and the fire disadvatage is blocked by the water. I would usually complain about something, and here is what it is: You are creating a fic, with only hopes of finishing it. Now you have talent, if this is your first fic, an I would recommend you to finish it if you want to create another fic, and if you don't want to work on this fic after about a year, fine, but at least let the readers have a good ending.

Deathman
13th August 2003, 01:28 AM
Hmmm, I certainly will try to finish it.

Chris 2.1
13th August 2003, 10:50 AM
I actually like this dazzling concept. I always fancied Team Journeys but lacked the ablity to think of a reason WHY or HOW, so Kudos to you, Deathman. Surskit is one of many UU RS starters (since Treecko, Mudkip n Torchic are the big faves), so I can't wait to see him skating away...maybe he's a sk8er boi? LOL, thats so corny.

Keep it up, good job!

Deathman
16th August 2003, 10:46 PM
Thank you. I was trying to come up with something that hadn't been done before, and that just popped up into my head. Of course I have no proof that it hasn't been done before, but at least to my knowledge it hasn't. New chapter up tomorrow.

Deathman
17th August 2003, 01:13 AM
Here it is...

Chapter 1
"I already know what I got" She said rolling the pokeball containing her new pokemon across the table. I knew what it was as soon as it reached my hand. The smell of grimer was unmistakable. Angela shook her head, "It's not fair, the professor is my uncle, but he's never really liked me. So he goes ahead and gets me the worst pokemon possible. This is really embarrassing"

I struggled hard not to plug my nose. I didn't really want to make her feel worse about her starting pokemon, but the smell that the pokeball emitted was very potent. She was very right in saying that it wasn't fair of Professor Xylo to give her a bad pokemon just because he didn't like her. "Sorry to hear that. I guess it will be useful once it evolves though" I whispered, rolling her pokemon back across the table.

"I guess" She replied, but not very enthusiastically. She was obviously hurt that she had been stuck with such a rancid pokemon. I have to admit that I would have felt much the same if I had been in her shoes, though I still couldn't figure out why the professor had chosen Surskit for me.

"Are you paying attention to me Angela" Professor Xylo snapped at his niece.

"Yes Uncle Xylo" She replied quickly.

"Good" He continued, "I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to be paying attention to me. This is important information you should know for your journey. I will not repeat any of this. Anyways, please excuse the inturruption. You only have four months to collect all 8 badges and finish training for the league. I expect that you will use this time wisely so that you can represent Kanoniko well in the league this year. Remember, we came in last place last year, which was a major disapointment for everyone in the city. I want you to do much better than last years team"

I didn't know about him, but I could think of a number of reasons why I wouldn't want to pay attention to him. The biggest reason being that he was repeating information that everyone who didn't live in a hole already knew.

"Sur" My pokemon called, shooting another bubble out of the point on the top of it's head. It rose up to the ceiling before popping softly. I didn't know what he was trying to say with the bubbles, but he seemed content in my lap at moment.

Suddenly the drone of the professors voice stopped. "What's going on?" I whispered to Joey, assuming that he had been paying attention.

"We're going outside, the professor is done talking but he said it would be a good idea to spend some time getting to know one another better." Joey informed me, getting up and walking towards the door. I followed, carrying Surskit in my arms.

Professor Xylo kept a very nice yard. Not only was the grass perfectly cut but there was also a very large play structure which included a nicely sized set of swings, and an inground pool. Roses and other decorative flowers lined the side of the professor's lab which was much bigger than a normal house.

I made my way over to the pool where I let Surskit go into the water. My new pokemon zipped across the pool in less than 3 seconds, making little ripples where it's feat had made contact with the water. "Nice job buddy" I called across the pool.

Surskit skated back to me and shot bubbles triumphantly into the air. "Skit" He cried happily.

The girl I had been checking out earlier, Cassandra, let her Mudkip into the shallow end of the pool where it began to splash around. I glanced at her, but she did not return my gaze. She seemed to be more intrested in her pokemon than in anything else at the moment. "Hey Trav, do you wanna battle?"

I whirled around to see Angela holding her new grimer's pokeball in her hand about a dozen feet away from me. "Sure" I called, hoping that maybe it would chear her up if she did well with her new pokemon.

Angela tossed her red hair back and threw her pokeball into the space between us. Grimer popped out in a flash of crimson light. Angela made a face and plugged her nose. I felt an urge to do the same, but restrained myself so as not to appear rude. "Come on Surskit, lets see what you can do" I said to Surskit, turning my head around to face him.

Surskit crawled out of the pool. It was remarkable how much slower he moved on land than on the water. "Lets start this up, Surskit use your bubble attack on Grimer." I called. Surskit fired a volley of bubbles at Grimer. Angela didn't seem to be phased at all by the attack.

"Grimer, harden" Angela commanded in a sqeaky voice, her hand still over her nose. Grimer's body became rock solid. Everything about it became lifeless, even the toxic ooze that normally rolled down it's body stopped moving. The bubbles weren't even enough to catch Grimer's attention as they popped harmlessly on it's hardened body. "Good job Grimer, now sludge attack"

"Wait for it to soften up and then use another bubble attack" I called. Surskit immediatly obeyed, sending another barrage of bubbles towards Grimer's softening body. Grimer took the bubbles head on and rolled backwards across the yard from the impact leaving a trail of nasty toxic sludge across the yard. I was sure that the professor would regret ever giving Angela a grimer.

Grimer recoverd from the bubble attack quicker than I had expected. The pile of toxic waste returned it's posture and quickly fired a piece of itself towards Surskit. "Surskit dogde it, and then use quick attack to finish it off!" I commanded. Surskit made an ill attempt at dodging Grimer's sludge attack, but as I quickly found out, Surskit was incredibly slow out of the water and even though the attack it was trying to dodge wasn't moving very fast, it still hit Surskit.

Surskit struggled to rid itself of the blinding ball of toxic sludge that now covered it's eyes completly. "Nice job Grimer. Now finish it with it with another sludge attack" Angela commanded. As much as I pittied the next person to get into the pool, I saw no other way to win the battle.

Grimer volleyed another piece of sludge from it's body towards Surskit. "Surskit, behind you, the pool. Use it to wash the sludge from your eyes." I called. Surskit turned around and immediatly began scuttling towards the pool. The toxic sludge landed just inches from Surskit, splattering all over it's back and even onto my shoes. I quickly wiped the ooze from my shoe in the grass. I was pretty sure that was the worst thing that had ever landed on them.

Surskit lept into the pool, purpously landing so that he didn't float. Water covered his entire body, cleansing of the sludge that had covered his face and back. "Surskit, resurface and use another bubble attack" I commanded.

Surskit raised himself back to the surface, gliding gracefully over the top of the water to the edge of the pool where it released a very steady stream of bubbles towards Grimer. "Grimer harden" Angela called, but before Grimer could react he had already been hit by the bubble attack. I realized then that Surskit had used bubble beam instead of bubble. Grimer was shot backwards from the force of the bubble beam, landing next to one of the slides on the play structure. It was beggining to look tired.

"Nice job Surskit, now finish it with another bubble beam" I commanded. Grimer didn't last any longer in the battle, before anything else happened, Surskit fired it's most powerful bubble attack yet, releasing bubbles that moved much faster than it's last attack. Grimer was quickly smashed by the bubbles, the impact sending him flying into the metal edge at the bottom of the slide. It slowly slide back to the ground, unable to battle.

"Grimer returned" Angela called disapointedly, calling Grimer back into her pokeball with a beam of bright red light.

"Nice match" I said hesitantly, not knowing how she would react. I knew that if she had won this battle it would have made her feel a lot better about getting Grimer for a starting pokemon. I wondered for a moment if I shouldn't of let her win just to make her feel better.

"Yeah, nice match" She replied, hiding her disapointment.

"And good job Surskit" I said, not wanting to let my new pokemon think that I didn't care about his victory. Surskit responded with a happy calling of it's name and a bubble that floated a couple feet into the air before popping.

Angela turned away from me and the other trainers and began to walk into the woods behind of Professor Xylo's lab. I figured that she had left to get some time by herself and thought it best not to follow her. She was obviously not in a good mood at the moment.

The professor stepped out of the lab and stared at me and the mess of toxic sludge on the lawn and in the pool. "Are you responsible for this young man?" He asked me sternly.

Not wanting to make Angela feel any worse than she already did I nodded, preparing to take the blame. "Ha, your lying aren't you. There is no way you could make this mess without a grimer and I only gave one person in this group a Grimer. Where is Angela, tell me" He demanded in his squeaky voice.

"I don't know where she is sir" I said simply, trying not to enrage the professor any more than he already was.

"Your lying again" He spat, "You know where she is. Go find her"

"You can't order me around" I said cooly, feeling that I had seen enough of Professor Xylo for one day, "It's your fault for giving her a grimer in the first place. I think it's only fair that you clean up it's mess"

Normally I didn't disrepect my elders, and normally I wouldn't of talked to the professor like that at at all, but at that point in time I was feeling a very strong dislike towards him, and quite frankly I was to tired to restrain myself. Needless to say it didn't work. The professor glared daggers at me, making me feel as though I was about to walk into an oncomming storm.

To be continued...

Powarun
17th August 2003, 01:48 AM
Well it was a good chapter, the attacks by Surskit could have been more than bubbles, but it is also the lower leveled pokemon part. Hmm, the proffesor seems like a snot, maybe Travis, my bro's name, should catch a grimer one day and make it attack Mr. Xylo.

Deathman
17th August 2003, 10:59 AM
Lol, yeah the prof is a bit unpleasant :P

As for the attacks, that will change soon. It was mostly because of them both being low level like you said.

Mancetric_Trainer
17th August 2003, 07:51 PM
That was a nice chapter.
I liked the battle.

Deathman
20th August 2003, 01:30 AM
Thank you for replying Mancentric Trainer, I'm glad you enjoyed it. New chapter up later today.

Too Cool Scyther
20th August 2003, 06:57 AM
I'm really enjoying your story. Just wanted to say keep up the good work ^^

DannyBoy
20th August 2003, 08:29 AM
That was a intresting chapter. It had a good pokemon battle and it showed how mean the professor is. One thing I noticed was your puncuation needs a little work. I noticed at the end of the dialogue you don't put anything. Trying working on htat but other than that your doing pretty good. Keep it up!

Deathman
20th August 2003, 10:33 AM
Cool Scyther - Thanks for reading, I appreciate the compliments.

IloveX-TINA - Yeah, your right. I'll try to work on that in future installments.

Deathman
20th August 2003, 10:50 PM
Sorry about the shortness of it. I am disapointed with how this chapter turned out. Hopefully I can do a little more with the next chapter seeing as how I left myself with a little more to work with.

Chapter 2
"Don't talk to me like that young man" The professor yelled as loud as his squeaky voice would allow him to.

"You should really calm down man"

I whirled around to see Chris, the kid who had gotten the Houndour, staring at Professor Xylo coldy. "Y'know Trav is right don't you. It's not cool to be putting blame on anyone for your own mess, heck, it wasn't cool of you to give anyone a grimer in the first place. Why don't you take responsibillity for this and go get something to clean it up with" Chris continued.

By this point in time just about everyone, with the exception of David who was sitting on a swing training his Ralts to move rocks with it's mind, and Angela of course who was gone. The professor switched his gaze over to Chris, "Don't talk to..."

"You have no authority over either of us" Chris interupted cooly.

Xylo stared at Chris contemptuously. "Your right, I don't" He began, "Or maybe I do. Get the hell off my lawn, all of you. I'm sick of talking to obnoxious little brats!"

Most of the kids turned and ran down the path towards the road, none to eager to hang around the professor in his current mood. I followed, however, David and Chris stayed behind. David obviously hadn't been paying any attention whatsoever. Chris on the other hand was still staring defiantly at Professor Xylo. I didn't linger with the other kids at the road to find out what would happen. Instead I looped around the professor's house and made my way into the woods from the side to look for Angela to tell her that we were leaving. Surskit wiggled in my arms. I took this as his way of saying the he would rather walk, so I let him down onto the forest floor which was still wet from a rainstorm the previous night.

We made our way into the woods. It was hard going because of it's over grown state, and I had to help Surskit a number of times, but eventually we got far enough in so that we could see Angela. To my surprise she was not crying, or sulking for that matter, but she was in combat with a wild pokemon. I couldn't see what it was but Angela appeared to be doing well by the confident look on her face.

As I drew closer I recognized the pokemon she was fighting as a Seedot, a small acorn like pokemon. Seedot lept at Grimer, stomping a stubby little leg into it's face. Grimer seemed to absorb the blow and caught hold of Seedot's leg with one of it's 'arms'. "Good job Grimer, now finish it with a slam" Angela commanded. Grimer brought it's opponent down hard into the ground leaving it unconcious.

"Hey Angela" I said, walking up to her casually.

She twisted her head around to see me, "Oh hey. Sorry about running off like that. I wasn't really that disapointed. I was just being stupid, I guess I was just angry at my uncle and needed some time to cool off"

"It's ok, no need for excuses. You gonna catch that thing?" I asked motioning towards the fainted Seedot.

"Oh yeah, right" Angela said grabbing a pokeball from her belt and throwing it at the acorn type pokemon. The pokeball didn't even roll before the red light turned off and it sounded a reasuring ding letting us know that the pokemon had been succussful.

"We need to get going. The rest of the group is heading out" I informed her.

Angela picked the pokeball containing her new pokemon off the ground and wiped the dirt and leaves that attatched to it on her jeans before clipping the ball to her belt. "Ok, I'm ready" She replied, following Surskit and I out of the woods.

The rest of the group was waiting for us beside the road. "Where've you been" Cassandra inquired, walking over to me. This was not good. If there was anyone who I wanted to impress it was her, and now I had to tell her that I had gone into the woods to go get another girl. That was not what I wanted to tell her, but it was what I did.

"Oh, first you start talking to her at the professors, then you battle her, and now you go to pick her. She your girly or something" A blond haired boy who I had yet to learn the name of teased. Darn it, that was the last thing that I wanted for anyone to say. I swore that if I ever became a murderer that kid would die a very gruesome death. Angela's face turned the same shade of red as her hair. The kid laughed.

"It's not like that" I tried to explain. I realized that wasn't going to help me, but they were the only words that came to my mouth at the time.

The blond haired boy didn't stop laughing, "Not like that? Yeah right"

A couple other kids started laughing. I felt so embarresed I wished I could've just disapeared, but the gift of making myself invisible was not one found in my familly, unfortunatly. I began to open my mouth to speak when the person I had least expected to come to my rescue did so. "Come on guys, now we know where they were off to. We don't have time to argue if we want to get to Brachos City at a decent time tomorrow" Cassandra intervened.

Was that a sign that she liked me, or that she was really concerned about getting to the next city so that we could earn our first badges, or was it something else. Girls were so confusing to me back then, heck, they still are.

"Sure thing mom" The kid remarked snidely, making a face at Cassandra. I expected her to respond in a rude manor, but instead she just ignored him and began walking down the road towards Lathos Forest, the woods that seperated Kanoniko and Brachos City. Everyone else followed her, and I had already got the impression that we would be following her in more way than one during our journey. She seemed to be the only one even trying to step up to become the leader and no one really seemed to mind her doing so.

"Who was that blond kid?" I hissed to Angela as we walked.

"You mean Cassandra?" Angela asked.

"No, no, no, the boy,"

"Oh Brad. Don't worry about him. He's a bit obnoxious but he just does it for attention, he means well."

"Ok, thanks. I wasn't paying attention when they called his name."

"Yeah, don't mention it. Can't understand why you wouldn't be paying attention, I'm just surprised you weren't covering your ears." Angela said, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah, neither can," I responded sarcastically, deciding not to make a big deal of the fact that she had misinterpreted me.

The road curved into the distance, leaving us on the dirt path that would lead us straight to Brachos city. The trees became thick fast, and as we traveled they began to block out the sun completly. We didn't see any bug pokemon but they were there, chirping, and watching us travel down the path. This was Lathos Forest, the forest of bugs.

A small Caterpie crawled along the path ahead of us. The brown haired girl who had gotten a sandshrew as her starter let out a shriek and ran to the back of the group. "Why are girls so afraid of bugs?" I asked. No one answered. The Caterpie turned around and blinked at us. Nobody seemed to want to step up and try, and to be honest I didn't really want it either, but if I caught it I could send it home to my sister so that she could have a pokemon to play with. She, unlike most girls, didn't seem to have a problem with bug pokemon, in fact she was actually quite facinated with them.

"Anybody else want it?" I asked, stepping forward and releasing Surskit from my arms. Surskit let out a soft cry and released a weak bubble into the air.

"No way man, he's all yours," Chris said, shaking his head. Everyone else nodded in agreement.

"Alright, it's mine than," I said preparing to enter combat.

To be continued...

DannyBoy
20th August 2003, 11:09 PM
That was a ok chapter. I seen that you started to fix your puncuation during it. That is a plus. I liked how Chris stood up to the proffesor. The mini catch was a good also. I wonder if Travis will start getting all bug types since Surkit is part but and Caterpie is part bug. Keep it up!

Deathman
21st August 2003, 12:40 PM
No, I don't think Trav will start a bug only team. I plan on giving him a much more diverse batch of pokemon, however I do plan on giving him a team of all UU pokemon.