PDA

View Full Version : Starting over ...

Kohdok
3rd July 2003, 12:48 PM
Introduction

He gazed from his deep, leather chair out at the sunset through his window. The suns rays tickled the bottoms of the passing clouds. It was the end of another uneventful day. However, his time of peace would soon be interrupted.

“You wanted to see me, sir?” A girl asked as she peeked in the door. She was dressed in a black and white uniform and had the bangs of her hair hanging on either side of her face, allowing you to see her gray eyes which sparkled in the sunset.

“Yes...” the man said as he turned around, revealing his white hair and his executive outfit, “It has been a while since we last heard from our funding source at the Slowpoke well...” He put his elbows on his large, oak desk and leaned against his clasped hands, waiting for a response.

“And what do you want me to do, sir?” The girl asked, timidly entering the room.

“Shouldn’t you know?” The man asked, “I want you to go and give me a status report. Stay undercover, though. We don’t want to draw any attention to our organization.”

“Yes, sir!” The girl said, politely bowing before leaving the man back to his sunset. The sun now danced on the horizon as it slowly sank to the West.

*Beep, beep*

The man sighed as he swiveled around in his chair once more. He pressed a button on his intercom phone.

“Yes?” he asked.

“Boss,” A voice responded clearly over the intercom, “I called to tell you...it’s done...”

“At last,” The man replied, “How is it?”

A faint roar was heard over the intercom.

“It’s quite lively, sir,” The man replied.

“Good,” the man replied, “I will be down in a few minutes.”

“Yes, sir,” the man on the other end of the intercom replied. The phone clicked off. The man turned around and took one last look as the sun was consumed by the horizon.

“So it begins...”

“Shadow, wait!” Kris cried as they walked along the simple, dirt road that ran between the cities of New Bark town and Cherrygrove. Shadow grumbled as he stopped and turned around to wait for his little sister, who was having quite a bit of trouble keeping up with his relentless pace. Kris panted once she had caught up to Shadow, and leaned her weight against his as she tried to catch her breath, “Why are you in such a rush?” She asked, panting, “Besides, I’m starving!”

“You ate five sandwhiches an hour ago. Besides, I just want to get this thing over with,” Shadow said impatiently in his rough, callous voice as the male-symbol-shaped charm dangled from a string around his neck. Shadow and Kris had left their home town of New Bark on an “errand” for their mom’s acquaintance, Professor Elm. This errand involved hiking all the way to Cherrygrove to pick up something from Mr. Pokemon, the local crackpot. It seemed that Shadow and Kris had to do a “favor” for Professor Elm twice a week, normally with computer repairs or to get his groceries. Shadow was never fond of these tasks, and having to take Kris with him everywhere only made things more difficult.

Kris was energetic and optimistic most of the time, but she was clumsy at times and tended to mess things up. Because of how paranoid their mom was, she never let Kris or Shadow leave unless they went together. However, the way many people saw how Shadow treated Kris made it seem like she was a burden to him.

“Are you sure it’s no to get away from your f--?” Kris asked before she was cut off. Shadow had clasped his hand across her mouth, growling.

“Come on,” Shadow said, “Let’s get moving. I want to get this done by the end of the week.” He turned and began walking again at his fast pace, causing Kris to lose her balance and fall into the dirt. Coughing, Kris stood up again and continued after her brother. In her time around Shadow, Kris had actually developed quite a bond with him, dispite how she was sometimes treated. She really loved her brother and had been trying to break through his shell since the time she was born. To tell the truth, Shadow and Kris were just a little over a year apart. Shadow, however, developed a larger build and Kris was a little late to start on development, so the two look further apart than they really are.

Shadow suddenly stopped in his tracks. Absentmindedly, Kris bumped into Shadow, causing him to stumble forward a step or two, “What’s up?” Kris asked.

“Shhh...” Shadow said, slowly reaching for his belt. It was then that Kris saw the tall grass nearby begin to move. Kris put her hands on Shadow’s shoulder and positioned herself so that Shadow was between her and the moving grass. Out of the grass wandered a Rattata, sniffing around with its sensitive nose. It had become enticed by the smell of the food that Shadow and Kris were carrying with them. When it saw Shadow and Kris, it hissed violently and began shaking its tail. Judging by the injury across its left eye, this Rattata had been through a lot of fights before and was obviously quite experienced. It showed off its large buck teeth and growled softly. Shadow pulled a pokeball from his belt and pressed the button, causing it to expand in its hand. He then cast out the pokeball at his feet, revealing Larvitar, his first pokemon. The Rattata lowered its head.

“Larvitar,” Shadow said, “Pursuit attack!” Larvitar nodded in agreement and lunged at the Rattata, landing a critical strike on the left side of the Rattata. Startled and injured, the Rattata quickly ran away back into the grass.

“Wow...” Kris said, “That looked easy...” As soon as she had finished saying that, tenscore more Rattata popped out of the tall grass surrounding them.

“Um...crap?...”

DannyBoy
3rd July 2003, 01:01 PM
Good beginning! It sounds very intresting and different. I thought it was funny when Kris said it looked easy and more Rattata came out to attack. I could picture her face all in shock. Good length and description. Keep it up!

Kohdok
3rd July 2003, 01:23 PM
Tenscore = 200 = ouch

I'll post chapter 1 tomorrow.

The best thing is, the beginning is finally starting to come together. I was clueless about the beginning, at first, but now it's finally going to flow.

One last note: This fic is rated PG-13. There will be a little language (Nothing too severe, and definately not the 'cursed f-word'. Those words will only be said by bad guys and will be censored accordingly. (For instance, nothing that you wouldn't see to the extent of, say, Final Fantasy 10))

Kohdok
3rd July 2003, 09:44 PM
I guess I'll post chapter 1 now...

Chapter 1: New beginnings

It was a typical evening at the Pokemon Center that marked the halfway point between Cherrygrove and Newbark. The nurses were caring for hurt and tired pokemon while the trainers sat around on the benches, getting ready for a night’s sleep. There were about four trainers in there today, about the typical amount.

And, as usual, things were about to get even more normal.

“Geh!” Shadow said as he and Kris, badly bruised, fell through the doorway, their pokemon tumbling after them, also badly battered. This sort of thing happened all the time, as many aspiring trainers liked to train in this area. With a sigh, Nurse Joy took the pokemon while her Chansey’s set the two siblings on a couple of benches to recover.

“Goodness, will they be okay?” Someone asked.

“They’ll be fine, dear, they just need some rest.” Nurse Joy replied reassuringly.

Shadow’s eyes slowly opened. His vision was still rather fuzzy when he looked around at the sterile enviornment the Pokemon Center provided. He has been out cold for nearly an hour.

“Welcome back,” a voice said at his side. Shadow turned to his side to see a girl sitting next to him, sitting in such a way that made it look like she had been by his side the whole time, “I was starting t worry,” she said in a gentle voice. Shadow looked at her. He looked at her carrot hair, red eyes, slender body, and yellow outfit which consisted of a long collared shirt which reached just past her hips, a bandanna which held up all but her bangs which almost hung to her shoulders, and a tight pair of black shorts.

“I’m fine,” Shadow said sternly as he sat up.

“Really?” The girl asked, “You looked pretty battered.

“I’ve had worse.” Shadow replied.

“But...” The girl said, taking Shadow’s arm, “Your left elbow is bent backwards, are you sure its okay?” Indeed, Shadow’s elbow was hyperextended.

“I’ll take care of that,” Shadow said.

“No, I’ll do it for you,” The girl said, taking Shadow’s arm, placing her knee at the point of the hyperextended joint.

“No, wait,” Shadow said, “I’ll take care of thAAAAAAAUGH!” Shadow yelled as his joint was snapped back into position as the girl brought her knee in, forcing it back into place.“Hey!” he yelled, swiping his arm away, “That hurts!”

“Odd...” The girl said, scratching her chin, “It does? Where does it hurt?”

Shadow released his arm, then bent it up and down at the elbow. It didn’t hurt at all. He was spellbound by how amazingly painless his relocated joint was.

“I thought so,” the girl chuckled. Shadow glared at her.

“Damn,” he thought, “She did that better than I could...”

“Jealous, Shadow?” Another voice said behind him. He soon found himself strangled from behind by his sister

“Gack!” Shadow choked, “Don’t do that!”

Kris giggled as she took a seat next to her brother. Shadow growled at her, but Kris merely returned with a bright smile.

“Oh,” the girl said, “You two are related?” She asked, pointing at the two.

“More or less.” Shadow replied as Kris put her arms around him, nuzzling him with her cheek.

“More...or less?” the girl asked, a couple of her hairs popping out of place, “What does that mean?”

“That doesn’t matter,” Shadow said, “By the way, you haven’t told us your name yet.”

“My gosh, you’re right!” The girl said, placing her hand on her cheek, “My name is Tochi.”

“Tochi?” Shadow asked, “Interesting name...”

“It’s Japanese.” Tochi replied.

“I know that,” Shadow replied, “But...it doesn’t sound right for some reason...”

“Shadow’s not the most normal name, either.” Tochi replied.

“How do you know my name?!” Shadow asked.

“Oh, that... uh...” Tochi said nervously.

“I said it earlier, duh!” Kris said.

“Yeah,” Tochi said, “That’s right!”

“Well, we need to get going,” Shadow said, “Now, let’s get out of here.”

“But,” The two girls said.

“It’s already 8:00,” Tochi said, “You won’t get very much headway, and it’s already dark out.”

“Yeah,” Kris said, “Besides, they have free breakfast in the morning.”

“I don’t care,” Shadow replied, “We packed that tent for a reason. Besides, I said I wanted to get this errand for Professor Elm done as soon as possible.”

“Who?!” Tochi asked, a smile crossing her face.

“Professor Elm?” Shadow asked.

“You...” Tochi said, clasping her hands together, “You know Professor Elm?!”

“Yeah, I know the good-for-nothing,” Shadow replied, “Why?”

“I’ve always wanted to meet him!” Tochi said, putting her hands on her reddening cheeks, “I’ve seen him on TV, but I’ve never found a way to meet him before.” She clasped her hands around Shadow’s, which were quite a bit larger, “I’m so envious of you...”

“Don’t be...” Shadow said, removing his hands from Tochi’s grasp.

“But...You work for the famous Professor Elm!”

“We just do favors for him,” Shadow replied, “It’s not like we enjoy doing it.”

“What do you mean?” Kris asked, “I like doing those errands.” she smiled.

“Well, I sure don’t!” Shadow growled, giving Kris a noogie, “Besides, there aren’t any rooms left!” True, as the other three made a group and shared a room, and Tochi had the other room for three all to herself.

“Well, we could have Tochi join us!” Kris said, wriggling free of Shadow’s grasp.

“Huh?” Shadow and Tochi asked.

“Tochi wants to meet Elm, right?” Kris said, “So, if we bring her with us, I’m sure she’d let us use her room.”

“What?!” Shadow asked, “What do you mean?!”

“I mean, If all three of us stayed in one room, then there wouldn’t be a problem.”

“It’s not that simple...” Tochi said, “You see, There are only two beds...one two-person, one single person.”

“Uh, why would you have a two-person bed and a one-person bed?...” Shadow asked, turning to Nurse Joy, "You could always have three one-person beds, right?"

“We get a lot of couples, if you know what I mean,” Nurse Joy said.

“Oy...” Shadow said, his head sinking into his shoulders.

“That’s no problem!” Kris said, “I can take the little bed and the two of you could use the other!”

“WHAT?!?!” Tochi and Shadow yelled.

“What are you thinking?!” Shadow yelled as he took Kris by her shoulders. Tochi shrank to the side, her face becoming red for a second time.

“Well,” Kris said, “There’s three of us, and, according to you, my sleeping habits aren’t the best in the world, so, there wouldn’t be a problem if the two of you shared a bed and I took the other one.”

“That’s not the point, dear.” Shadow said through teeth clenched so tightly that they hurt. Fortunately, the other three in the room (3 girls) had already retired to their room, so they weren’t witnessing this. “Besides, I bet we could share a bed, instead...” Shadow said, “Right?” he turned to Tochi.

“Actually,” Tochi said nervously, “I’m already sort of settled into the larger bed...”

Shadow growled, “Well...” He said, “I...” He looked into Kris’s cheerful expression. This actually irritated Shadow quite a bit because of how ignorant Kris was acting. There was definately something wrong with her...“Fine...”

To be continued, but maybe not of nobody replies...

DannyBoy
3rd July 2003, 09:51 PM
Good chapter! It was funny with Shadow being hurt and him hurting more because he didnt want help. Showdow really hates elm. And that has to hurt getting ur elbow bent backwards. Good length and description. Keep it up!

Iveechan
4th July 2003, 03:31 AM
I like the way this is written, very clear and the humans are believable. Are we going to find out what Pokemon they all own?

Kohdok
4th July 2003, 01:04 PM
You will find out who has what in chapter 3 (Okay, i confess it's two of the G/S/C starters, but I changed the circumstaces for why they have them. Okay, so Larvitar was really Shadow's first pokemon...) Shadow has had his Larvitar for three years (Female).

(Wow, Iveechan posted! I can die happy now!)

Happy July 4th, every one! (Everyone who's American, at least...)

Chapter 2 will be up soon (I'll edit this post. Check back at around 4 Eastern Standard Time)

Kohdok
4th July 2003, 02:15 PM
Picking up from where we left off...

Chapter 2: Silent (Hopefully) night

“I STILL can’t believe it.”

“Still can’t believe what?”

“That I have to share a bed with you.”

“Gee...you’re taking this awfully seriously, aren’t you?”

“And why shouldn’t I?”

“Let’s just say...you’re the first guy I’ve met who wouldn’t enjoy sleeping with a girl...” Tochi said as she sat down on the bed in a set of pajamas that looked like they were covered with fire, as the pattern was woven into the silky fabric. It was quite fancy for someone travelling on her own.

“And what of it?” Shadow asked, “If I have a problem with it, who cares?!” He then sank, “I guess nobody but me.” he sulked, crossing his arms and glaring down at the ground.

“Aww,” Kris said, mussing Shadow’s hair with her fingers, “That’s so cute, Shadow. You sound just like a girl when she has to sleep with a guy.”

“Don’t ever mention that!” Shadow said, grabbing Kris’s hand firmly to the point that it hurt. He then turned around to face her, “Understand?”

“Why?” Kris asked nervously.

“You should know...” Shadow said, glaring deeply into Kris’s eyes.

“I don’t, really...” Kris said.

Shadow released Kris’s hand, and sat down, sighing, “I guess you wouldn’t...” he said as he placed his elbows on his thighs, letting his hands hang over his knees. Tochi looked at him curiously. She noticed a new expression across Shadow’s face.

Was it...sadness?

“Let’s just get to bed...” Shadow said in a rather downbeat tone from how he had been just moments earlier.

“Something wrong?” Tochi asked, tilting her head to the side.

“No!” Shadow said suddenly in a defensive outburst, “It’s nothing at all...”

“Okay...” Tochi replied simply. However, she still wasn’t convinced that it was, as Shadow had put it, ‘Nothing’.

*Moosh*

Shadow found himself rudly awoken when Kris’s pillow smacked him in the face. Shadow’s eyes shot open. He looked at the clock.

“3:21 AM...” he thought to himself, “Well...at least it wasn’t the--”

*Krong!*

“...backpack...” He slunk back down into the bed with his forehead bruised from an impact with Kris’s backpack. Kris did, indeed, have the worst sleeping habits known to man, or even to woman-kind. Shadow turned his face towards his sister. She was all tangled up in her sheets, her blue, bubble-image-covered pj shirt had become unbuttoned along the front, leaving her lingerie in full view. She also had her normally unusual ponytails into a single, seamless bun which held together quite nicely. It had to, or else she would choke herself with her restless movements.

“Best not to worry about it...” Shadow said, “Best to get to sleep...” He lay back down on his back and closed his eyes, taking a deep breath in the process. Once Shadow was on the verge of lapsing into sleep, he got another awakening, but one of a different nature.

Tochi suddenly turned and placed her hand across Shadow’s chest. She was still deep in sleep, but she seemed to also carry a slight restlessness. Slowly, she took Shadow in a weak embrace.

“What the hell?” Shadow thought to himself. He could feel a gentle and soothing warmth flowing from Torch’s body into his own, “Man...she’s so warm...” he thought, “Kris, you little screw-up! What have you done now?!”

The sound of Pidgeys chirping outside slowly awoke Tochi. She found herself lying in bed, firmly embracing a pillow in her arms. She slowly peered above the pillow at Kris.

Kris’s bed was a wreck. Her sheets had wrapped her up like a prisoner in chains, her hair was a bit of a mess, even though it was still in the bun, and she was snoring rather loudly.

Tochi then realized something. She snapped upright, “Where’s Shadow?!”

“Is that sandwich for me?...” Kris mumbled before turning over in her bed. Tochi, in a panic, rummaged through the sheets. No Shadow. She checked under the bed; No Shadow. She even checked under Kris’s bed; No shadow. In her panic, Tochi threw open the bedroom window.

“Shadow!” She called out, “Where’d you go?!”

“Jeez,” Shadow said, “Do you have to be so loud?”

“Huh?” Tochi said, looking up from the veranda she had moved to. There, on the roof with sheets and everything, was Shadow, “Oh, my,” Tochi said, “What are you doing up there?”

“Trying to get some sleep...” Shadow grumbled, rolling over in his covers.

“Oh, come on now!” Tochi said, “It’s morning now and the pokemon are starting to get skittish. Besides, you can’t just lie out here exposed to the elements, now can you?”

Shadow didn’t respond.

“Fine,” Tochi said, “Have it your way...” Balancing herself carefully, she climbed onto the railing of the veranda in an attempt to get Shadow to come down. Since it was a small rail, balance proved to be difficult. Tochi slumped onto the rail, clinging to it with her hands and knees. She shivered as she tried to hang on. She then swollowed hard, and tried to reach for the gutter that was connected to the roof. It was just out of reach. Mustering all of her courage and strength, Tochi shot up from the railing and grabbed at the gutter with her hands. She grasped it firmly, neatly outstretched between the gutter and the rail, which she clung to with her feet. She then began pulling herself up onto the roof. Triumph!

Or, so she thought.

“What’re you doing up there?” Shadow said from below. Tochi looked down to see Shadow now standing on the veranda as if it was no sweat.

“H...how did you get down there so fast?” She asked in amazement.

“It was nothing...” Shadow said as he began to step inside, leaving Tochi still stretched between the veranda rail and the gutter. However, he stopped before stepping completely in, “Need some help?” he asked.

“Oh...” Tochi said, trembling from holding up her weight in such an awkward way, “All I can get...”

“I still can’t believe it!” Tochi said as the threesome continued down the road towards Cherrygrove.

“Can’t believe what?” Shadow asked.

“Your sister ate...quite a bit if you ask me...” Tochi replied, pointing to the girl who was prancing along in front of them, humming an inane little tune with a huge smile across her face.

“Really now?” Shadow said.

“Yeah, really!” Tochi said, “She ate 7 plates of food, then ate half of mine, then swollowed her fork!”

“A girl’s gotta have her iron, right?” Kris asked, blipping up from out of nowhere.

“By the way,” Shadow said, “I was being sarcastic. I know how much Kris can eat in one sitting.”

“I just love those 25-scoop Suicide Sundaies!” Kris said, again marching out in front of the group.

“Oh...” Tochi replied, “By the way, why are you going to Cherrygrove?” She asked.

“We’re going to pick up something from ‘Mr. Pokemon’,” Shadow replied.

“Mr...Pokemon...?” Tochi asked, slightly confused.

“Yeah,” Shadow replied, putting his hands neatly behind his head, “The crackpot claims to make some ‘great discovery’ at least once a week now. I bet he’s just doing it to get attention, but Elm always sends the two of us to get it for him.”

“Why doesn’t he just drive there?” Tochi asked.

“You ask a lot of questions, don’t you?” Shadow replied without an answer.

“Well, it’s how people get to know one another.” Tochi replied, smiling.

Shadow sighed, “There aren’t any major roads between Cherrygrove and Newbark anymore. There were too many wild pokemon getting hit by cars, so many of the roads have closed down. There are some that are fenced-off and work better, but the ones between the two towns are all just dirt-roads, there’s a 20 mle an hour speed limit.”

“Professor Elm doesn’t drive an off-road vehicle?” Tochi asked.

Shadow clenched his fist, “He drives a Saleen...” He growled. He was mad about it because of how Elm tended to be rather prodigal with the money he earned, much of it on the backs of others, like Shadow himself.

“Oh...” Tochi said, “Well, what’s Mr. Pokemon got in store for us?” She asked, once again looking ahead at the dirt road.

“That’s just it, we don’t know,” Shadow replied, “He never lets us know until we get there.”

“Really...?”

“Shadow!” Kris yelled excitedly, grabbing Shadow around the throat and pointing forward.

“What?” Shadow asked.

“Do my eyes decieve me?” Kris asked.

“Probably...” Shadow responded, “Why?”

“That’s a Dratini!” Kris yelled, tightening her grip around Shadow’s neck, “A purple one! Ohmygod ohmygod! Those are SOOOOO rare!” At that, Kris went bounding after it. Shadow looked ahead. Indeed, before them in the road, was a purple Dratini, with moist skin that glistened in the sunlight. It almost looked like it was shimmering.

“Kris, wait a second,” Shadow said. However, Kris’s only intention now was getting her hands on such a rare pokemon.

“You’re miiiinnnneee!!!!!” She yelled, leaping up to tackle it. However, right before her eyes, the Dratini melted and formed into a smaller, blobbier form. “Huh?” Kris landed hard on the dirt at the heels...of a Ditto...nothing more than your average, pinkish-purple Ditto.

“Ha! Someone fell for it!” Someone guffawed from the bushes. From the bushes, a trio of young men in loud outfits stepped out in front of Kris, who coughed as she pushed her face from the ground, lifting up her upper body, “Man, you shoulda seen the look on your face when you realized it wasn’t a Dratini!” The three guffawed. As the three grabbed their stomach’s to contain thier laughter, Shadow and Tochi slowly walked up to the scene. Tochi knelt down next to Kris while Shadow continued to the three bullies, a look of absolute seriousness on his face.

“Now what do you think you were doing?” Shadow asked, grabbing the ‘leader’ firmly by the collar. However, the ‘leader’ seemed un-fazed.

“Ha!” He replied, “We were just havin’ a little fun, right boys?” he looked back at his two friends.

“Yuh!” One of them, a large, powerful figure with a speech impetiment replied, “Jus’ havin’ fun!” He cracked his knuckles menacingly.

“You see?” The leader said as if his large friend had spoken for him, “It was all just in good fun.”

“By going on the misfortune of others?” Shadow asked firmly, not losing any of his cool.

“Man, what’s your deal?” The leader asked.

“Wait a second, Butch,” The third man, a lanky, dark figure said, “I think I’ve heard of this guy before.”

“Really now?” Shadow asked, lookign beyond the person he had grabbed.

“I think this guy is Shadow!” He said, pointing in Shadow’s direction, “You know, the guy you never want to cross paths with?”

“Man, don’t be silly!” Butch said, “This guy couldn’t possibly be the guy!” With that, he shed the jacket that Shadow had been grasping, revealing a tight tank top which eccentuated his slim muscles. He then reached into his pocket and whipped out a switch-blade knife, “Want me to cut him open and see if I’m right?” He smirked, flipping open the knife to reveal a large blade.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you,” Shadow said.

“Humph!” Butch said, “Acting all tough when you can’t back it up is useless, you know that!” With a loud yell, he rushed at Shadow bringing his knife back and dashing forward. However, Shadow didn’t budge an inch. Tochi turned her head away as Butch thrust his knife forward.

Shadow merely smirked, then, as nonchalantly as anyone could ever do, juked the attack, whirled around, and grabbed Butch from behind, one arm around his neck, and the other one holding the hand with the knife outstretched by the wrist.

“So what’ll it be?” Shadow said, smirking. He tightened his grip on Butch’s wrist, forcing him to drop the knife, “The head, the neck, or the abdomen?”

“P...please, don’t hurt me!” Butch said nervously.

“Hmph...” Shadow said, before letting Butch go, “I thought you said yourself that it’s bad to put up a front.” Butch trembled in fear as he fell to the ground, “Now go, unless you want your friends to get into the act as well.”

With that, the three and the Ditto quickly fled, not even taking the time to pick up the jacket or the knife that they had dropped. They left a large cloud of dust.

“Wow...” Tochi said, blushing, “That...was...amazing!” She ran up to Shadow, “Are you some kind of upholder of justice, or something? Are you like a superhero?”

“Nah,” Shadow said, “I just do that to get rid of the idiots who try to mess with me.”

“Still,” Tochi said, “I must say that is a very good thing.”

“I don’t care what you think,” Shadow said. He picked up the jacket and the knife, “Maybe I could pawn these somewhere...”

“But, how could you be that good?!” Tochi asked.

“I’ve been trained in martial arts since I was five.” Shadow replied, looking over the slightly corroded knife.

“Five?” Tochi asked, “Why would you want to do something like that?”

“It’s not like it was my idea,” Shadow replied, “I didn’t want to.”

“Huh?”

Kohdok
6th July 2003, 06:25 PM
No new replies? Hm... I guess you guys are just waiting on me, eh? I'll get up Chapter 3 some time today.

DannyBoy
6th July 2003, 06:41 PM
Ok CHapter.It was funny with Shawdow trying to sleep. I know how he feels when there is a crazy sleeper in the room. Good length and ok description. Keep it up!

Kohdok
6th July 2003, 09:50 PM
Very well...

“So this is the big deal, eh?” Shadow said as he pivoted the large egg on his hand that looked like a white-chocolate marble swirl on the end of his finger, “It doesn’t look like much to me.”

“Well, even in this day and age, nobody has ever witnessed a pokemon’s birth.” Tochi replied as she walked alongside Shadow on the route that went into New Bark town, “If this is really a pokemon egg, it’ll be the greatest discovery of this century!”

“I bet it’ll be something cute,” Kris said, giving the egg a stroke, “Like a Togepi, or a Pichu, or something like that,”

“I don’t care what it is,” Shadow said, yanking the egg away from Kris, “I just want to drop this off at Professor Elm’s and go sleep in my own bed. Indeed, it was already getting late out, as everything was starting to take that familier orangy glow that’s associated with the sun dipping onto the Western Horizon. However, the group was less than a mile from New Bark, so they were pushing to get back as soon as they could.

“By the way,” Tochi said, eyeing Shadow’s belt with its two pokeballs, “Do you get any, um...perks from working with Professor Elm?”

“Perks?” Shadow said, “What do you mean?”

“I know!” Kris said, “He gave us some pokemon recently!” Kris pulled the one pokeball from her belt and clicked it open. Out popped a cute, little green-yellow pokemon with a leaf growing from it’s head; the aptly named ‘Chikorita’.

“Wow,” Tochi said enviously, “Isn’t that one of the species that Elm recently discovered?” she asked, looking with amaze at the little pokemon that was in Kris’s arms. Kris nodded. “Woah,” Tochi said, “He must really trust you if he gave you one of his newly discovered pokemon.”She gave the Chikorita a pat on the head. It looked back up at her and let out a cheerfull little coo.

“Nah,” Shadow said, pulling out one of his pokeballs. He popped it open. From the ball sprung a black and yellow pokemon with four red spots on its back: Cyndaquil. “He just gave ‘em to us so that we could do his research for him.”

“Really?” Tochi asked, “So...when Professor Oak gave you those pokedex...”

“I’m sure Professor Elm will help set things straight with him,” Shadow said. Shadow had met the famous Professor Oak at Mr. pokemon’s place (You’ve all seen this scene, so I left it out) and he and Kris had each been given a pokedex (Ver. 2.1) because they carried such rare pokemon, “But,” he sighed, “I bet the Professor’s slacking again.” He returned Cyndaquil to its pokeball, “In fact, I bet at this very moment he’s saying...”

“...DON’T OPEN THAT DOOR!!” It was just as Shadow had feared. When Shadow popped open the door of the laboratory that evening, he saw Professor Elm sitting on the floor with his eyes glazed over as he munched on popcorn while watching: Movie Horror Madness: “The Attack of the Killer Parasite Within”. A kernel of popcorn dribbled from his mouth as he stared at the black and white B-movie picture. He was completely absorbed in his electronic wonderland. Every muscle in his body had tensed up and his eyes were bloodshot as he watched the screaming horror film.

Just as the man slowly pulled the door open, Professor Elm was about to get the shock of his life.

All of a sudden, something grabbed him by the shoulders. Professor Elm dropped the popcorn he was about to eat.

“EEEEEEEGYAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!”

All of the lights within a 3-block radius flickered on after that blood-curdling scream.

“Hello, Professor,” Kris said cheerfully. She had been the one to grab him on the shoulders. However, the Professor was lying flat on the floor, motionless. “Professor...?” Kris said, poking Elm on the cheek. Though the Professor’s eyes were wide open, nobody was home.

“My god!” Tochi yelled, “He’s fainted!” she knelt down next to him, “Professor, wake up!” she yelled grabbing Elm by the shoulders and shaking him violently. Then, a thought went through her mind, “I just shook the daylights out of Professor Elm ... THE Professor Elm!” At this, she passed out as well, falling at a right-angle to Professor Elm’s body.

“Oy, gevalt...” Shadow said in a perfect Yiddish accent as he saw the two sprawled on the floor, one with the heebie-jeebies, and one so filled with joy she had passed out from it.

The two were soon revived (Though Elm did pass out again when he saw the egg.) and Shadow, Kris, and Tochi began heading back to the house.

“Really...” Tochi said, blushing, “To meet Professor Elm in PERSON...” She put her hands on her cheeks and sighed dreamily.

“Is it really that spectacular?” Shadow asked, “I see him nearly every day.”

“Yup, yup,” Kris replied, “We go visit him every day when we’re in town!” She then went skipping down the road towards the house where she and Shadow lived.

“Really?” Tochi replied, her eyes glowing, “You’re so lucky.” She said, leaning against Shadow, possibly hoping that some of his ‘luck’ would rub off on her.

Shadow grumbled at this gesture, “It’s not so glamorous, really,” he said, “He needs us to do a favor for him whenever we visit him. He says he’s short of help, but he just doesn’t want to have to pay for it,”

“Is he really that much of a cheapskate?” Tochi asked.

“Yup,” Shadow replied, “That, or he’s as un-handy as they come.” He put his hands behind his head and gazed up at the stars, “We’ve had to fix his pipes, show him how to use E-mail a few times, and...polish his car.” Shadow growled the last phrase

“Oh, my!” Tochi said, “I just realized something!”

“What?” Shadow asked, not making a severe reaction like Tochi.

“I just realized I have no place to stay!” She thrust her hands into her pockets and pulled out the contents to reveal about 73 cents in change, “And I’m all out of money...”

“Too bad for you...” Shadow said.

“Are you kidding?!” Kris said in her gleeful voice, once again performing her random-appearance act to get behind Shadow, “You can stay with us, Tochi.”

“Really?” Tochi asked.

“Yeah,” Shadow grumbled, “We’ve got a couch...”

“Oh, come on, Shadow,” Kris said teasingly, pulling on the sides of Shadow’s lips and stretching them out, “You know we have that guest room for a reason!” She smiled.

“A guest room?” Tochi asked.

“Oh, you had to bring THAT up,” Shadow gibberishly said through his stretched lips. He pulled Kris’s hands free of his mouth, “I don’t know what mom will say, though. Nobody’s been in that guest room for a while...”

“You offered this girl a place to stay for the night?” Shadow’s mom, Hanako, said excitedly, “I’m...so...PROUD of you!” She sobbed.

Tochi and Shadow were spellbound, both were confused by her reaction.

“Um...” Tochi said, “What’s with your mom?”

“She had bad experiences with the men in her life.” Shadow replied simply, his eyes narrowing again.

“Yup...” Kris said, “It’s a sad little tale of love, betrayal, and, heartbreak.”

“Have you been watching those soap-opera commercials again?” Shadow asked.

“Uh-huh!” Kris said, “How’d you guess?” She asked as Hanako began forming a small lake with her tears of happiness.

“You have an...interesting family, Shadow,” Tochi said, sweatdropping. Shadow nodded, “Though I must say I’m impressed,” She continued, smiling, “Your mom doesn’t look a day over 30.”

“She’s 33...” Shadow said.

“Really...?” Tochi asked, her eyes popping open, “Then...how old are you?”

“Sixteen...”

“But...” Tochi said, “How can that add up?...unless...”

“We’re getting off the subject,” Shadow said, “I’ll show you to your room.” The two left Hanako to continue sobbing and Kris to continue ranting things she heard on TV.

“Here you go,” Shadow said as he pushed open the door to a darkened room. Tochi was amazed at what she saw when she flicked on the lights. Many guys would describe it as kinda frilly, while many girls would call it ‘Just darling’. The bed was rounded and had a frilly skirt around the base by the floor. The sheets and blanket also bore a floral pattern.

“Wow,” Tochi said as she set her backpack on the sheets, “Your mom takes good care of this place, doesn’t she?” She asked as she looked around at the comfortable ambience the room had to provide.

“She’s a bit of a perfectionist,” Shadow said as he leaned on the door frame, “Just get settled in,” he turned back to listen to his mother continue sobbing in her elation, “I’m going to get a mop...” He shut the door behind himself.

Tochi sighed and fwumped onto the matress, lying on her back. It was as soft as a matress could be, “I never thought I’d get all the way to Newbark...” She said, “And now I’m out of money...how am I going to get home...?” She rolled over and hugged the pillow, “There’s no way I’m gonna get home without risking blowing my secret...”

“What secret?”

“BLAAAAAAAAGH!” Tochi yelled. She rolled over to see Kris sitting on the edge of the bed next to her, “Wh...where did you come from?” she asked, putting her hand over her pounding heart.

“I came from outside, silly,” Kris said.

“But...” Tochi said, “I didn’t even hear you open the door.”

“Huh?” Kris asked, “Uh...I don’t know what you mean.” She set herself down on the bed next to Tochi, her feet up in the air bent at the knees, “So, what’s this big secret?”

“It’s nothing...” Tochi replied, turning her face away from Kris.

“Oh, it’s something,” Kris said, smirking as she leaned closer to Tochi.

“Really, it’s nothing...” Tochi said.

“Oh, come on!” Kris said as she began mercilessly tickling Tochi on the stomach, “I know it’s something!”

“Gah!” Tochi yelled, laughing so hard she was crying, “Don’t do that!”

“Tell me, and I’ll stop!” Kris said.

“I...can’t...breathe...ah ha ha!” Tochi yelled, wriggling around in an attempt to get away from Kris’s hands.

“What are you two doing in here?” Shadow asked.

“Huh?” Tochi asked. Kris had stopped tickling. She looked up to see Shadow upside-down with a mop over his shoulder. Maybe the fact that she had her head upside-down in order to be able to see him had something to do with the upside-down part...

“Kris,” Shadow said, “Get the first aid kit, Mom’s passed out from crying too much again...”

“Oh,” Kris said, sliding off of the bed. Soon, the two left, closing the door behind them.

“Darn...” Tochi said, once again lying flat on the bed, her stomach still tingling from the ruthless attack, “Why’d I have to be born so darn ticklish...?”

DannyBoy
7th July 2003, 11:32 PM
Good CHapter! We found out a little bit about Shawdows mom and when he was born kind of. I wonder why Shadow acted werid after he said 33 and then Tochi said then it must and he acted different changing the subject. Elm is stupid watching moives and then being scared. Good length and description. Keep it up!

Kohdok
8th July 2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by IloveX-TINA
Good CHapter! We found out a little bit about Shawdows mom and when he was born kind of. I wonder why Shadow acted werid after he said 33 and then Tochi said then it must and he acted different changing the subject. Elm is stupid watching moives and then being scared. Good length and description. Keep it up!

33-16=17

I'm not quite done with Chapter 4, yet, but I'm hard at work on it (It involves the first chase scene)

Kohdok
10th July 2003, 07:24 PM
Chapter 4: The robbery

“Tochi!” Hanako called from the kitchen., “Why don’t you come down and have some breakfast?” She sliced the watermelon in half, making a beautiful, straight cut.

“She still hasn’t come down?” Shadow asked.

“Neither has Kris...” Hanako said. She pulled out a pokeball and opened it. Out popped a handsome pink Butterfree. It cried out cheerfully before its trainer, “Butterfree,” Hanako said, “Could you set the table for me?”

“Free,” Butterfree nodded. It then picked up some silverware and began setting them out on the table for breakfast.

“And don’t forget to set an extra place!” Hanako said.

“Freeeee!” Butterfree replied.

Hanako sighed and began slicing the watermelon into smaller portions, “It seems every day that someone offers me a rare pokemon for my Butterfree...” She said.

“Well, it IS albino,” Shadow said, “Those are actually pretty rare.”

“I thought albino creatures were white...” Hanko said as she set some of the watermelon on a large plate.

“With some creatures, that’s true, but it can be different for others, mom.” Shadow replied. Once he had finished saying this, Butterfree came back into the room and saluted to Hanako, indicating that its job was finished. It was rewarded with a small piece of the sweet fruit, which it immediatly consumed.

“I see,” Hanako said, “Shadow,” she said, picking up the plate of watermelon, “Could you go and wake up Kris and our guest?” She carried the plate over to the table.

Shadow grumbled, but complied, and he began making his way up the stairs to the sights of the two bedrooms.

He first peeked in on Kris by slowly opening the door to her room. However, he caught her in the middle of dressing.

“Hi Shadow!” Kris said. For some reason, she didn’t mind if Shadow walked in on her while she was changing. I guess she trusted him too much.

“Okay,” Shadow said, “Just go downstairs when you’re ready,” he quickly closed the door.

Then, he made his way to where Tochi was sleeping. He again opened the door rather slowly.

Lying in a daze on the bed, was Tochi, clinging tightly to her pillow once more. She had actually been awake for about an hour, but couldn’t muster the strength to get out of her bed.

“Come on,” Shadow said, “Get up. Don’t you want any breakfast?”

“Don’ wanna move...” Tochi babbled, “Jus’ wanna sleeb..”

“Get up!” Shadow said, entering the room, “Or I’ll make you get up,”

“Don wanna...” Tochi said.

“Have it your way!” Shadow said. With this, he grabbed Tochi around the waist and tried to pull her out of bed.

“Leggo...” Tochi grogged, clinging to the bed with her hands.

“Give it up!” Shadow yelled, doubling his efforts to get Tochi to let go. For a few seconds, in was a stalemate, with both straining to reach their goal. Shadow persisted to try to get Tochi to let go, and Tochi simply wouldn’t give up, “Come on!” Shadow yelled.

“No!” Tochi said. It was then that Shadow realized that he was holding the bed in the air, and that Tochi still showed no signs of letting go at all.

“Jesus...” Shadow said, setting the bed down onto the floor and removing his hands from Tochi’s waist, “You’re persistant aren’t you?” A sinister smirk then crossed his face, “Wait a second...” he said maliciously, “Kris told me you were pretty ticklish...” he chuckled.

“Mm?!” Tochi said, her eyes going wide.

“Maybe I’ve been going at this all wrong...” Shadow said, slowly rolling up his sleeves, revealing a pair of powerful arms that only a martial artist would have. Surprisingly, they weren’t really very bulky at all, but more refined and lithe. He then cracked his knuckles and slowly began to reach towards Tochi, now helpless since her sheets had fallen off, “Here it comes,” Shadow growled.

“AAUGH!” Tochi yelled, “Okay, okay! I’ll get up!” At this, Tochi erupted from the bed, bolted past Shadow, and ran down the stairs so fast that she left a trail of firre behind her.

“Well, that worked better than expected,” Shadow said, pulling his sleeves down once more so that they reached his wrists.

“I must say it’s been such a long time since we’ve had a guest,” Hanako said as she sat down at the table. Everyone else was already starting to go through the watermelon that had been so nicely cut. Larvitar was consuming one like a typewriter, Chikorita and Cyndaquil each had their own slice, and Kris had already finished 3. Tochi sluggishly ate hers, her hair was still a bit of a mess.

“Um, excuse me...” Tochi said timidly, setting down her slice of watermelon, “But...I don’t have a way to get home...”

“Really now, dear?” Hanako asked.

“Yeah,” Tochi replied, “I’m far from home and I’m all out of money.”

“Are you asking us for some?” Shadow asked, “I wouldn’t even try. We’re not going to be that generous, are we?” he asked, turning to Hanako.

“Of course not!” Hanako said, “We’re going to do one better!” She stood up, “Shadow, could you do me the honor of taking Tochi home?”

Shadow and Tochi each spit out some watermelon seeds in alarm after this.

“What?!” Shadow asked, wiping his mouth.

“You...you really don’t need to do this,” Tochi said.

“Oh, come now!” Hanako said, “It’s the least we could do! You’re not a trainer, are you?”

“No, ma’am...” Tochi said shyly.

“I knew it!” Hanako said, “All the more reason for my two children to take you home!”

“You hear that, Onisan?” Kris said excitedly, “We’ll finally be able to go past Cherrygrove!” Her eyes lit up, “Maybe we can go so far as to go to some gyms like Professor Elm said,” She clasped her hands together, “Ah, how I’d love to get some of those badges for myself...” She said dreamily.

“Wait a second,” Shadow said, “Why can’t we just lend Tochi some money to buy a bus pass, or something?”

“I won’t allow it!” Hanako said, “It’s dangerous for a young girl to go out on her own in this day and age!”

“No, I’ll be fine...” Tochi said.

“You see?” Shadow said, “She said she’ll be fine! Now let’s just give her a little--”

“You will escort her home!” Hanako said imperitively.

“O...okay...” Shadow said. It had become apparant to him that he was fighting a losing arguement.

It was then that the phone rang. Hanako slid back her chair and stood up to answer it.

“Hello?.....Oh.....really.....again?.....I’ll be right there.” She then hung up the phone, “Kids, I’m going to go to the office. I’ll be a while, so, feel free to leave.” She took her briefcase and a white lab coat and began to step out the door, when a thought hit her, “Wait, you’re going to need some first-aid for the road, won’t you?” She said, turning to the three.

“Well,” Shadow said, “Where will we be going?” he said, turning to Tochi.

“I...I live in Ecruteak,” Tochi replied.

Shadow sighed, “Okay, I guess we could spring for some...”

“Okay,” Hanako said, “You kids come with me to the office, I’ll get you some things there.”

“First-aid at your office?” Tochi asked.

“I’m a private doctor,” Hanako replied.

“Oh...”

“This is just brutal!” Hanako said once she reached the office. A young, stout man was lying on a stretcher, badly beaten with several dislocated joints. He had returned to consiousness and had been brought to Hanako for treatment, “Who did this?”

“It was ‘her’ again,” Her partner replied, “She was stalking him for a while, but she decided to strike today.”

“Really,” another person said, “Something needs to be done about that girl.”

“Can’t your son do anything?” Hanako was asked. Shadow was rumored to be the best martial artist in town, aside from the aforementioned girl’s parents. However, Shadow didn’t seem to care about the events that were happening.

“I...I don’t know...” Hanako replied, putting her hand on her chin.

“Who’re they talking about?” Tochi discretely asked Shadow.

“Sakura,” Shadow replied, “She’s my classmate in martial arts training. If someone she doesn’t like tries to hit on her, she stalks them for a while, then....you see for yourself.”

“Goodness...” Tochi said, looking at the mangled joints that the person on the table had.

“And that’s not all of it,” Kris said with disgusting cheerfulness, “For a while, now, she’s been trying to get Shadow--” Shadow clapped his hand over Kris’s mouth before she could finish her sentence.

“Come on,” Shadow said, “We need to get going,” He picked up some supplies and began to leave. Kris and Tochi followed, but Tochi had a genuine look of concern on her face as she trailed behind.

“What was Shadow so nervous about?” Tochi thought to herself, “Could it be that Sakura is after him, too?” She sunk her head and looked at the pavement. She had fallen a few steps behind the others from being so deep in thought, “Maybe that’s why Shadow became such a good martial artist...?” In fact, she was so caught up in thought, that she was completely oblivious as to what was about to happen in front of the Elm laboratory.

*Thwack*

“Ahhhh...” Tochi moaned as she collapsed. She had been hit directly in the face from the glass door that led into Elm’s lab. It had opened suddenly and had taken her completely off guard. Shadow and Kris stopped and turned around to see a young man bolting from the lab, a pokeball firmly clutched in his hand. Kris and Shadow quickly dashed to Tochi’s aid. However, Professor Elm exploded through the door when they were less than a foot away.

“Stop that man!” Elm yelled, “He just stole the last pokemon!”

“What?!” Kris asked.

Without saying a word, Shadow darted after the thief, following him down the sidewalk that led out of town.

The thief turned his head to see that he as being persued, “Damn,” he muttered as his crimson hair flapped in the breeze he had created from running. Shadow was slowly gaining on him. Soon, he encountered a wall that lined one side of the side walk. Almost as if it was nothing, he jumped onto the wall and repelled off towards a house roof. He managed to grab the gutter and drag himself onto the roof. He stopped to catch his breath, looking around for any signs of Shadow as his chest heaved.

“Hold it right there, you!” The thief heard someone say. He looked up to see Shadow above him in mid-jump. He was so high, it almost looked like he was floating.

“What ARE you?!” The thief yelled as the chase continued, now leading from roof-top to roof-top. With a jump, the robber landed once more on the side walk. He began looking at his surroundings frantically, searching for some way to aid his escape. This was found near a pile of broken concrete. Lowering his hand like a scoop, he picked up one of the rocks, whirled around, and hurled it in Shadow’s direction.

“Ack!” Shadow yelled. He moved out of harm’s way, but not before the rock got a chance to graze him on the cheek, leaving a small cut, “So, you wanna do it THAT way, eh?” Shadow said. With this, he grabbed a ball from his belt.

“Uh-oh...” The thief said, and began fleeing once more.

Giving a solid wind-up, Shadow threw the ball with great speed at the one he was persuing. Out popped Larvitar. However, it was still flying with great speed towards the fleeing suspect.

“Huh?” He said as he turned around. He was met with Larvitar flying right at him, crying and flailing its arms in panic as it hurtled through the air, leaving a stream of tears behind it. The thief’s pupils dialated, “Oh, shi--”

*BAM!*

Larvitar and the thief were sent to the ground, skidding along the sidewalk for a distance.

The thief got to his feet, scrapes covering any exposed skin and badly coughing. Larvitar lay flat on the sidewalk, its eyes in those familiar little swirls that one would associate with being passed out.

“All right, you! Now what do you think you were doing?!” Shadow yelled as he stopped near the thief, who still had the pokeball clutched tightly in his hand.

“Shut up!” The thief responded as he stood up, “I deserve this pokemon!”

“What do you mean?!” Shadow said, “By what I heard, it was stolen!”

“You don’t understand,” The thief said, “I’m owed this pokemon.” He then took on a picturesque pose in an attempt to impress Shadow, “I am Lary Oak, grandson of the famous Professor.”

“So, how do you deserve a pokemon?” Shadow said, sweatdropping at Lary’s pose.

“I...I just DO, okay?” Lary said, “My older cousin got a pokemon, but I never did!” He then caressed the ball, “Now, I have an awesome pokemon all for myself...”

“Gimme a break...” Shadow said, a few of his hairs popping out of place, “Now give that back before I beat you down like the spoiled brat you are!”

“Tough words coming from someone with an inferior pokemon,” Lary said, “I bet you could never back it up in battle.”

“You want to find out?” Shadow said threateningly, taking a step forward and pulling up his sleeve.

“I would,” Lary said, “But, I’m all out of time. I’ll be seeing you,” In traditional Vash, the Stampede style, Lary turned and fled. Shadow growled and began chasing after him along the sidewalk. However, something caught him by the ankle, and he fell flat on his face. He had tripped over his own Larvitar, who was still lying flat on the pavement. By the time he picked up his scraped face, Lary was nowhere to be seen.

“Dammit...” Shadow said, snapping his fingers.

DannyBoy
10th July 2003, 07:49 PM
That was a good chapter. I think there gona start getting some badges now. Lary Oak a robber that was a shock seeing a Oak. I wonder if we will see more of him in the sotry? He shouldnt have stole the pokemon hes crazy. He needs a mental home. Keep it up!

Meganium
10th July 2003, 09:46 PM
I like this fiction, the chapters are lengthy and have awsome description, the plot is very original and it has some very funny moments. Keep up the good work I cant wait for the next chapter! Keep Up.

Kohdok
13th July 2003, 09:05 PM
Original? It's original? Hooray! Maybe I could do something with that...

"The Fanfic which will be a new Genre in itself will be called Victim of circumstance..."

Nah...

I'm working on Chapter 5, it'll be up maybe before the end of the week, depending on how well I handle it.

Until then, "See You, Poke-Cowboy."

Kohdok
17th July 2003, 08:14 PM
Is it just me, or do the words Journey and Fly seem to be underlined?

Oh well. I'm back! And I have returned with Chapter 5 of my fic! It's good, mon!

Chapter 5: Speak!

Hanako hummed a tune as she prepared herself some lunch. Since the office was only a 2-minute walk away, Hanako always went home during lunch to cook something for herself. She was well known for her cooking and everyone was always honored when they were invited as guests for dinner. Today, Hanako was preparing a simple sandwich, with perfectly-folded turkey slices, fresh lettuce, and Hellman’s mayonaise, when she got a knock on the door.

“Come in,” Hanako said. This was the kind of neighborhood where you could safely leave your door un-locked, and where the worst crime was shoplifting (With the occasional domestic violence). In through the door stepped a girl roughly Shadow’s age who was wearing a simple Karate outfit. She had her brown hair cut short and was actually a little voluptuos for someone who was as avid an athlete as she was.

“Good morning, Hanako,” The girl said. To tell the truth, Hanako actually prefered to be called by first name, “Is Shadow in today?” Stepping in after the girl was a large Machoke, it growled slightly as it shut the door.

“Good morning, Sakura,” Hanako replied, “Sorry, but Shadow left a while ago. He’s off doing another errand for Professor Elm.”

“Really, now?” Sakura asked, “How long ago did he leave?”

“About an hour or two,” Hanako replied.

“Thanks,” Sakura said, bowing politely, “Machoke, let’s go!”

“Choooooke!” Machoke replied, opening the door.

“Wait!” Hanako said. Machoke paused mid-way through the door, “Won’t you have some lunch before you go?”

“No thanks,” Sakura replied, “I know how fast Shadow moves. If I don’t leave now, I’ll NEVER catch him.”

“I guess you’re right...” Hanako sighed, “Well,” She said, wrapping up the sandwiches she had made, “At least take a snack with you...”

“Thanks,” Sakura said, taking the sandwiches, “Sayonara,” She said, bowing once more, “Let’s go, Machoke!”

“Choooooke!” Machoke replied, opening the door once more. Soon, the two were charging side-by-side down the street in the direction that Shadow had left.

“I’ll find you Shadow,” Sakura thought to herself as she gazed out at the open road, intent in her eyes.

“...And NOW he wants us to get the Totodile back FOR him!” Shadow complained to the empty air as the threesome made their way back towards Cherrygrove.

“But, that’s not much trouble, is it?” Tochi said, “I mean, We’re going to Ecruteak, anyway...”

“That’s just the thing,” Shadow said, “He might not go to Ecruteak, he might go south to Azelea, or something.”

“Oh,” Tochi said, “I see...”

“Something on your mind, Tochi?” Kris asked, putting her arms over Tochi’s shoulders from behind.

“Huh?” Tochi asked, “Oh, no, it’s nothing.”

“That’s not gonna work this time,” Kris said, smirking.

“Okay,” Tochi sighed, “I was just thinking about Sakura,”

“Hmph...” Shadow said, picking up his pace.

“I mean, why did Shadow seem so anxious to leave when Sakura was mentioned?” Tochi said.

Shadow’s head slightly slunk into his shoulders.

“I mean, why is he so disturbed by that name?”

His head sank deeper.

“Shadow?” Tochi said, tapping Shadow on the shoulder.

“What?” Shadow said confrontationally, his head going even lower.

“What is it with you and Sakura?” Tochi asked. Shadow growled at this question, “I mean, is she after you or something?”

“Of COURSE she is!” Shadow exploded, rearing up in Tochi’s direction. “Now, could we just get off of the subject?!” Tochi shrank at this outburst. Shadow grumbled to himself as he stomped onwards.

“Goodness...” Tochi said, her hand on her heart. Kris giggled and pranced after Shadow.

A light wind suddenly blew, and whipped up some of the fallen leaves in the area. Amongst the leaves was a white flyer, which decided to land itself on Shadow’s face.

“Wha?!” He said, peeling off the rogue piece of paper. He read it, “Pokemon Investment Convention: Come see the newest inventions for pokemon.” He glared at the flyer, “Hmph...” He said, casting it back into the wind again. He continued on, not giving a care at all for what the flyer had to say.

“Kyah!” Tochi said as the Flyer attached itself to her face, “Shadow, be careful!” She took the flyer and read it, “Hey, wait a second!” Tochi said. She trotted up to Shadow, the flyer firmly clutched in her hands, “Shadow, why don’t we check this out?”

“Why should we?” Shadow asked, continuign to walk along.

“Well, we might find the person we’re chasing, ol’ whats-his-name.” Tochi reasoned, pointing to the paper.

“Nah,” Shadow said, “I hate conventions. Those kinds of conventions are filled with people who try to get you to invest in junk that they’re probably not going to work on or don’t even work, anyway.”

“Well, we don’t have to look at the booths...” Tochi said, “We could just look for our suspect.”

“What makes you think he’ll even BE there?” Shadow asked dryly.

“Call it woman’s intuition.” Tochi said.

“Sorry, but the woman’s intuition I’m familier with has always gotten me into trouble,” he said, pointing his thumb back at Kris who was tossing her Chikorita around into the air before catching it again. It was obvious that Chikorita was not enjoying this treatment.

“I see...” Tochi said.

“That was a GREAT idea!” Tochi said sarcastically to herself, “ ‘Let’s split up’ I said. Only I forgot that I don’t even know this guy’s name or what he looks like...” If you recall, Tochi was knocked out when she was hit by the opening door, “Oh well,” She said, observing the many booths that littered the grassy plain, “Maybe I can enjoy myself here. I mean, I’ve been to hundreds of these things.” However, since Tochi wasn’t paying attention in her self-pity, she bumped into someone.

“Sorry,” She said, “...Huh?”

“Great,” Shadow said, “It looks like he’s not here...” He had his Larvitar out of its pokeball, and it slid its nose along the ground as it tried to detect Lary’s scent. Shadow sighed, “I knew this was a waste of time...” Shadow gazed towards the heavens as the clouds passed overhead along with a nice breeze which chilled the air to a pleasent temperature.

“Excuse me sir,” A voice said. It was from so close a source that Shadow felt the breath on hsi neck.

“Ack!” Shadow yelled, turning around, “What do YOU want?!” he said accusingly. The person he was looking at, who was violating his personal space, was a short, lanky man wearing a long labcoat. He also wore a pair of glasses so thick that one could not see the eyeballs on the other side. He kept his hands behind his back.

“Sir, may I interest you in something?” He said.

“Probably not,” Shadow said, leaning backwards, his tone getting more annoyed.

“Won’t you at least take a look at it?” The man said, leaning forward.

“Look, I can’t garuntee your life if you don’t get out of my face,” Shadow said.

“Oh, sorry,” The man said, a smile still plastered across his face. He took a couple of steps back, “Now will you see my invention?”

“No,” Shadow said dryly, turning around to walk away.

“PLEASE!” The man said desperatly, falling down and clinging to Shadow’s ankles, “Nobody has even bothered to look at it!”

“I’m not surprised,”

“Come on, at least have a look?”

“No.”

“I’ll give you five bucks.”

“Whatever...” Shadow said, pulling his ankles free before turning around. The man stood up and dusted off his coat, “What I have, are these.” he pulled back his sleeve to reveal what appeared to be three bracelets which fit loosely around his wrist. They were red circles with a small, orange box on it that had a red LED light which shined brightly.

“Here it is,” The man said, pulling off one of the bracelets, “Now, all I need is a pokemon...”

*Sniff, sniff...*

In its sniffing expedition, Larvitar had found itself creeping up the salesperson’s coat, and finally onto his head.

“This will do perfectly,” The man said, picking up Larvitar from the top of his head.

“...Itar?” Larvitar questioned, somewhat nervous.

“Now, just hold still...” The man said, placing Larvitar on the ground. He then pressed a button on his bracelet, which caused its diameter to suddenly triple, “Now, I just take this...and...do this...” He placed it over Larvitar’s head, stopping it at the point around its neck, “Now, this won’t hurt a bit...” He pressed a button on the collar. It contracted around Larvitar’s neck. However, it contracted too tight, and Larvitar found itself gasping for air.

“What the hell are you doing?!” Shadow yelled, “You’re killing it!”

“Oops...eh heh...” The man said nervously, “Wrong button...” He then pressed a different button. The collar loosened until it fit gently around Larvitar’s neck, but in such a way that it would stay on, like a dog’s collar.

“Now that’s enough!” Larvitar yelled in a sprano voice, bashing the man away, “Painless, he said...” It said, rubbing its sore neck, and taking a deep breath or two, “Phooey...” It then looked at Shadow, who had a quite shocked look across his face, “What?” Larvitar interrogated.

“You’re...speaking in perfect English...”

“Huh?”

“Really?” The man said, getting up from his spot on the ground, “It’s speaking...It works! It works!” he began prancing around in his joy.

“You mean you hadn’t tested this before?!” Shadow yelled, grabbing the inventor by the collar, “What if it had exploded, or something?!”

“Larvitar’s a Rock Skin pokemon,” The man replied, “She would have been unharmed.”

“I can talk!” Larvitar yelled joyfully. She then began doing its own little prance, running in circles around the two.

“Your invention gives pokemon the power of speech...?” Shadow asked

“Yes!” The man replied, “My invention will revolutionize the pokemon world, and will tighten the bonds between pokemon and trainer! My invention will even automatically adjust in size when it comes to a pokemon’s growth or evolution. It’ll even fit when it becomes a Tyranitar! It’ll even fit a Wailord.”

“What the heck’s a Wailord?” Kris said, blipping in from out of nowhere. she and her Chikorita were wearing matching grass-emblem sweat-bands.

“It’s a large whale pokemon.” The man replied.

“Kris!” Larvitar said, glomping onto Kris’s face, “I can talk!”

For a while, there was an awkward silence.

“EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!” Kris yelled.

“Oh, my...” The man said.

“EEEEEEEEEEK! That’s so COOL!” Kris said, “Shadow, can I have one? Can I have one to put on my Chikorita?”

“Chika...?” Chikorita said nervously.

“No,” Shadow said, “I didn’t even want this one.”

“Oh,” Kris said, slumping slightly.

“Besides, I don’t know how much a pokemon would want to speak in English...” Shadow said.

“If other pokemon are like your Larvitar,” The man said, “Then it’s pretty darn high.”

“What’s your name, anyway?”

“Ness.” The man replied.

“...Ness?...As in Earthbound?”

“My parents are avid video-game fans...” Ness replied.

“I see...” Shadow said, scratching his head.

“Oh, come on, Shadow,” Larvitar said, climbing onto his hat, “You know that girl in the neighborhood...what’s her name...” She snapped her fingers, “Leia! That’s her name.”

“Will you shut up?” Shadow said, “Let’s get this thing off of you,” he said, taking Larvitar in his hands. However, upon inspection, he could not discover a way to remove the device, “How do you get this thing off?” Shadow asked.

“I...haven’t thought of that, yet...”

“WHAT!?!”

“I mean, I designed this thing to endure Explosion, a removal device would have made it too weak...you can’t remove it without destroying it.” Ness said.

“Have it your way!” Shadow said, pulling up his sleeve.

“Nuts...” Shadow said, looking at the bandages on his fingers.

“I guess he was right when he said it could endure anything,” Tochi said as they walked towards the sunset. However, by how she said this, with a bit of a chuckle, made it obvious that something else was on her mind.

“Something happen?” Shadow said.

“Oh,” Tochi said, blushing, “I ran into this cute guy at the convention...”

“Really?” Kris said, appearing behind Tochi, “Who?”

“He was so handsome...” Tochi said, “And, it’s an interesting thing,” She put her hand on her reddened cheek, “Whod’ve thought I’d run into one of Professor Oak’s grandsons?”

Shadow screeched to a halt, “Who...?” he said, his eyes narrowing.

“He said he was one of Professor Oak’s grandsons. Lary, I think.” Tochi replied, “I don’t know what to say, but I think I’m in love.”

“Did this “Lary” have red hair that went to his shoulders?” Shadow asked.

“Wow,” Tochi said, “You seem to know a lot about this guy. Is he a friend of yours?”

“Friend NOTHING!” Shadow said, “That’s the guy who broke into Professor Elm’s lab!”

“Really?” Tochi said, her face going pale.

“He stole a Totodile!” Kris said.

“WHAT?!” Tochi said, enraged. “He told me he’d had that thing for 5 years!” At this, Tochi went stomping ahead, “Come on!” She yelled aggresively, “Let’s go catch the womanizer NOW!”

“Now you’re speaking my language...” Shadow said, smirking.

End Chapter 5

DannyBoy
17th July 2003, 08:30 PM
THat was a cool chapter. It was cool to see what Larvitar had to say. It was in shock it could speck human. Good length and description. It ended very intresting. TOchi is pissed. Shes gona beat that dude up. Keep it up!

Shadow Djinn
17th July 2003, 11:43 PM
Sorry me haven't replied, busy XD. Really good fic, humor, adventure, it's all smooth. Especially Kris bonking Shadow with the backpack lol. Really nice fic, I'll be back later. So..Later.

~DT8

Kohdok
19th July 2003, 04:27 PM
Wow, the replies get better and better, and so will this fic, I promise.

Chapter 6 has gotten really, REALLY long on me, and I don't know how I should present it. I'ts finished, but I think it's a little too long...I think Wild Female Machoke would like the fact that one of my characters is a karate-loving girl with a Machoke.

Until I can post chapter 6, see you later!

Kohdok
19th July 2003, 04:34 PM
Oh well...Here's the longest chapter so far, Chapter 6...

Chapter 6: The Magician

“Ah, nothing beats being able to sleep in my own bed,” Shadow said as he stretched himself. The Pokemon Center in Cherrygrove fortunately had a room with two bunks, enough for four people. Shadow had taken one bunk, while the girls had taken another.

Kris’ bed, naturally, looked like a place where a couple of Grizzly bears had slept...while in heat. However, Tochi was gone. The sound of water splashing into the tub coming from the bathroom confirmed her location.

Shadow stood up and kricked his neck before waking up the other joints in his body. He then slipped on is hat, “I wonder what we’re going to do for breakfast?”

*BAM!*

“I got you now, you little...pika...chu...” Kris mumbled from the top bunk. He arm had moved itself rather quickly towards Shadow’s head, so forcefully that Shadow had been knocked clean to the ground. She soon returned to her snoreful routine.

“Orgg...” Shadow said, “That hurt...” He rubbed the back of his head while he still lay on the floor, “Already something like this so early in the...huh?” Shadow peered under the bed where Tochi had slept, and noticed something large in the shadows underneath, “Larvitar, is that you?” Shadow said, putting his hand on the object. However, once he rolled it out, it became obvious that what he had pulled out was not Larvitar.

“Whatcha got there, Shadow?” Larvitar said, peering down from the top bunk.

“An egg,” Shadow said, picking the egg up, “A BIG egg.” Indeed, the egg was about 2 feet long with a 1 foot diameter.

“Welcome to our Pokemon Center!” Nurse Joy said with a voice so cheerful it was disgusting in the morning, “Can I help you?”

“Yeah,” Shadow said, still in his t-shirt and underwear, “I found this in my room,” he held up the egg.

“Oh my...” Nurse Joy said, “It must have come from that Dodrio who spent the night here before you came.”

“Huh?” Shadow said, “Wait a sec. I thought pokemon eggs were a new thing.”

“Not when it comes to bird pokemon,” Nurse Joy replied, “People have known that Bird pokemon lay eggs for hundreds on years,” She then took teh egg from Shadow, “Let’s give it a look, shall we?” Nurse Joy placed it on a table. First, she tapped it with her finger, then held it under a bright light, then went over it thoroughly with a stethascope, “Now that’s odd...” Nurse Joy said.

“What’s odd?” Shadow asked in a voice that made him sound like he didn’t care. In reality, he didn’t...maybe the fact that he was also focused on an old magazine...

“This is the strangest Dodrio egg I’ve ever seen...” Nurse Joy said, giving the egg a stroke, “But, it’s not fertilized. It won’t make a baby.” She passed the egg back to Shadow, “I guess we can call in breakfast.” she smiled, “Would you happen to know how to cook?”

“A little...” Shadow said, taking the egg in his hands.

Kris sniffed the air from her bed. It seemed she had smelled something rather enticing, for she climbed out of her bed, and followed the scent in her half-asleep state, slowly walking out of the room. As she shut the door behind her, Tochi opened the door of the bathroom. Steam poured out as Tochi entered the room, fully clothed in her usual yellow attire, her towel strung over her shoulder.

“Hm...” Tochi said, sniffing the air, “That smell...It smells like...”

“...FRIED EGG!” Kris squealed, suddenly popping out of her sleep.

“Now don’t eat it all,” Shadow said as he placed the large platter of scrambled eggs on the table in the front of the Pokemon Center, “We need to leave some for Tochi and Nurse Joy.”

“I’m impressed,” Nurse Joy said as her Chansey followed her in, holding a stack of plates in its hands, “Those eggs smell absolutely DIVINE!”

“Come on!” Kris said, “Let’s not let them get cold!”

“But Tochi’s not here,” Shadow said.

“She’ll come in later,” Kris said, grabbing the stack of plates from Chansey, “Now, let’s chow down!”

Within seconds, Kris had served out some portions of the large pile of eggs. Once everyone had sat down, they picked up their forks. However, Tochi was still nowhere to be seen.

Nurse Joy stuck her fork into some of her egg, which was putting out an absolutely seductive scent. She took a bite of the egg that was lightly sprinkled with a red spice. Her eyes went wide, “WOW!” She said, “I mean, this is incredible!” Shadow didn’t appear at all flattered as he munched on his portion.

“Yeah, I know!” Kris said after scarfing down her portion in a single bite, “Shadow’s cooking ROCKS!”

“CHAN-sey!” Chansey agreed.

“Shadow,” Nurse Joy said, “How in the world did you get this good?” Shadow didn’t respond.

“Ah, his mom’s just a good a cook,” Larvitar said as she consumed the meal, “It’s purely hereditary.”

“Really?” Nurse Joy said, “But, this is professional-grade stuff!” She turned to Shadow, “I’m jealous. I mean, I’ve NEVER been able to cook this well.”

“Don’t be.” Shadow replied as Kris devoured her third plate. However, there was still a pretty good amount of egg left. It was at this point that Tochi stepped out of the room.

“What’s all the commotion about?” Tochi asked, looking at everyone as they enjoyed Shadow’s cooking.

“Want some?” Kris said, bits of egg lining her mouth.

“No thanks,” Tochi said.

“Are you nuts?” Nurse Joy said as if Tochi was turning down a million dollars, “You should at least TRY some!”

“I don’t eat eggs,” Tochi said.

“Huh?” Shadow asked, “Allergic to ‘em, or something?”

“No, I just don’t like ‘em.” Tochi replied simply, without a hint of defense in her voice.

“Your loss!” Kris chimed, scarfing down Tochi’s portion. Shadow and Kris’s other pokemon ate their egg quietly on the floor, licking their plates clean.

“It’s mine!”

“No, it’s MINE!”

Kris and Nurse Joy both had their forks jabbed into the last little bit of egg and were playing almost a tug-or-war with it as it slid across the plate. Everyone else, human and pokemon, had finished eating and were packing up to leave.

“Come on, Kris,” Shadow said, “You’ve had enough.”

“I know, we’ve got to catch that guy...” Tochi said lazily. The tone she had said this made her sound like she had awoken five minutes ago.

Suddenly, like a bad cartoon, the egg snapped off of the forks and went flying through the air.

“NOOOO!!” The girls yelled, and began chasing after it. And, also like a bad cartoon, Tochi, in a state of unawareness, yawned just in time to intercept the incoming egg.(Whew...that was a lot of commas...)

“Mgh?” Tochi said once she noticed the egg in her mouth. She swollowed the egg hard.

“NO!” Nurse Joy yelled, “Cough it up NOW!” She yelled, grabbing Tochi by the shoulders and shaking her violently.

“Mmmmm...” Kris said, exhaling, “It even feels good while it digests...” The group was now making their way through Cherrygrove to get to the route that took them North to Violet City. Cherrygrove was a typical suburb, with spacious properties, and a large marketplace where the Pokemon Center was situated. It was at this point that our heroes (If you want to call them that) were passing through the main Marketplace, where the most activity the town saw took place.

“I’m surprised you’re not sick from how much you ate,” Tochi replied, “You ate at least half of the egg.”

“I know,” Kris said as if it wasn’t anyting special, “Well, you had some, too, right?” She edged closer to Tochi, “Well? How was it?”

“Okay, it wasn’t half bad,” Tochi said, “But, I STILL don’t like eating egg.”

“Huh...” Kris said, “Why?”

“Could you stop asking questions, for once?” Tochi asked.

“You ask a lot of questions, too, ya know,” Kris said.

“All right, all right...” Tochi said before a slightly frustrated sigh, “Man,” She said to herself, “That girl’s more observant than her personality says...” She stopped at a fruit stand and began looking at the fresh fruit which were in season.

“What are you doing?” Shadow asked impatiently, “We need to get going.”

“I didn’t have breakfast, if you recall,” Tochi said, pulling a little money she had recieved from Hanako out of her pocket. An exchange was made, and soon Tochi was munching on some fresh, ripe, succulent Mangos.

Soon, the group came across a group of people who seemd to be crowded around something, like a small show that was going on.

“I wonder what’s going on in there?” Kris asked, scratching her head.

“I wonder that sometimes, too.” Shadow said.

Tochi giggled at the dry comment as she chewed on her breakfast.

“Very funny...” Kris said sarcastically, “Seriously, I’d like to know what’s going on.”

“It’s probably some phoney doing the ‘Where’s the Mobster’ trick,” Shadow replied, “Let’s just keep going.” Shadow continued walking, Tochi following behind. However, Kris didn’t move. Shadow sighed and turned around, “All right, fine...”

Soon, Kris was sitting on Shadow’s shoulders, her legs on either side of his head, so that she could see above the crowd. She put protected her eyes from the sun by placing her hand on her forehead like a small visor over them, “It looks like some guy doing the shell trick...but with cards...it looks like he’s gotten a lot of money...”

“Geez...” Shadow said, “Get off for a second, would you?”

“Nah-uh!” Kris teased, putting her arms around Shadow’s chin, while resting her’s on top of his head. It looked like she was copping a free ride.

Shadow sighed and began making his way through the tall crowd.

“Okay, who’s next?” The magician asked, “You there, giving the girl a ride, how about you?”

“Whatever...” Shadow said, putting down five dollars.

“Shadow?” Tochi said, “What are you doing? I thought you weren’t a sucker for these.”

“Ooh,” The magician said, “A fiver. Okay.” He took out three cards, all bent down the middle lengthwise. They were three aces: an ace of hearts, an ace of diamonds, and an ace of spades, “Okay, black is the mobster. Now, you see...” he took the cards and switched them around like you would a shell game, where you try to find the shell with the nut in it. He rapidly shuffled them back and forth, then stopped. He picked up one of the cards. It was the Ace of spades, “You see, here’s the mobster. Now I’m going to do it again.” He then shuffled the cards around again, but did it with incredible speed. Shadow seemed calm as he watched the cards, and didn’t ven move his head as the cards whirled around, “Okay,” The magician said, stopping, “Where’s the mobster?”

“Hmmmmm...” Shadow put his hand on his chin, “If there’s one thing I know about the mobster...it’s that is has a way of vanishing into the crowd...” he puts his hands on two of the cards, the two on the sides. He flipped them up, to reveal the ace of hearts and the ace of Diamonds.

“Oh man...” Someone in the crowd said, “He’s got it...” The magician began to become nervous.

“But, before you know it,” Shadow said, putting his hand on the middle card. Upon flipping it up, however, he revealed a second ace of diamonds. The crowd gasped. Shadow then smacked the magician on his wrist. However, as the con man rubbed his stinging hand, everyone saw that Shadow as holding a card in his hand, “Before you know it, he’s gone.” Shadow flipped up the card to reveal the Ace of Spades.

“You mean this was all rigged?” A man in the crowd said, “What a jip!”

“I was fast enough to see you switch cards. An excellent sleight of hand, but not fast enough.” Shadow said, stacking the four cards together.

The magician growled, “Dammit...” he then looked around at the crowd, who glared at him for having conned them so easily. Suddenly, he pulled out a pokeball and slammed it onto the ground. Out popped a little gray pig-like creature which bounced up and down on it’s spring-like tail. a large, yelloy pearl rested between its ears, “Anyone takes a step closer and I’ll have spoink send you into a coma!” He then turned to Shadow, “And as for you...”

“Now wait a second, pal...” Larvitar said, walking in through everyone’s legs, “Doncha know that you have to fight before you can do something to anyone?” She then stopped in front of Shadow and struck a battle pose.

“Ooooo,” a spectator said, “A pokemon battle.”

“Fine,” The magician said, “I’ll play your way. I’ll prove I have a little integrity...”

“More integrity than a lying cheat who’s conned nearly everyone here?” Shadow said. The excited crowd swelled into a larger ring to give the two room to fight.

“Shut up!” The man yelled, “Ragnar the magician doesn’t take kindly to such insults! Spoink, Psybeam!” Spoink oinked in reply and let loose a spiraling beam of pure thought right at Larvitar.

“Ha!” Larvitar said, “You think I haven’t dealt with THAT attack before?” Larvitar jumped into the air, evading the shot. However, it failed to look up.

*SPOINK!*

With a crash, Larvitar was on the ground, Spoink bouncncing on top of it. It had used Bounce right after using Psybeam and had landed a hit.

“Shadow!” Tochi yelled from the sidelines, “Spoinks are really frail! Use a physical attack against it!”

“That’s what I’m TRYING to do!” Shadow replied, “Larvitar, Headbutt!” As Spoink began coming back down for another bouce, Larvitar shot into the air to meet it. The two collided in mid-air. However, Larvitar’s superior weight and force sent Spoink flying into the air.

“BWWIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiii......” Spoink squealed as it was sent clean onto one of the cloth roofs of a fruit stand. It bounced off of that and landed on the ground, its eyes as curly as its tail.

The crowd cheered at Shadow’s victory. However, Shadow didn’t soak in the adulation.

“Damn you, Shadow,” Ragnar said, “I should curse you for this!” He then paused, “But wait...” he smirked, “You already have a curse on you, don’t you?”

“Uh...” Shadow said, starting to get a little worried.

“And you have it sealed, don’t you?” Ragnar said, confident now that the tables were turning.

“H...how could you know about that?!” Shadow yelled, grabbing the charm on his necklace.

“Oh, I’m not just your run-of-the-mill magician,” Ragnar replied, “I can tell that the curse on you is a doozy...”
Shadow began to shiver slighty.

“Huh?” Tochi said.

“Shadow?” Kris said, “What’s he talking about?” She looked down from where she was still attached.

“It’s nothing, Kris,” Shadow said, prying Kris off of him, “This guy is just trying to scare--”

*Slice...*

Before everyone’s eyes, the chain around Shadow’s neck was severed by a flying object. Whatever it was, it flew back to Ragnar. When Ragnar caught it, it was revealed to be a king of diamonds...made of metal and really sharp. The male-symboled charm around Shadow’s neck fell to the ground and shattered on the concrete.

“Damn!” Shadow yelled. At this he bolted through the crowd and, almost faster than the eye could follow, rushed out of sight.

“Shadow...?” Tochi said.
“Hmph...” Ragnar said, shuffling his cards, “Go to him. I think you’ll find he’s had a bit of a...change...”

Tochi, Larvitar, and Kris took off in the direction that Shadow had escaped.

“I could have SWORN he’d gone this way!” Tochi said as she looked around. They had reached the back alley’s of Cherrygrove and had lost Shadow. However, they were still desperate to find him.

“Ack!” The sound of falling metal trash cans was heard in one of the alleys, along with a few screeching cats and the sound of someone screaming as they tripped in the streets. This thoroughly shocked Kris and Tochi.

“Shadow?!” Kris yelled as she ran in the direction of the clamor.

“Kris, wait!” Tochi yelled, “That might not be h...”

Out from the alley, a small, black cat stepped out, wearing Shadow’s baseball cap.

“No...” Kris said, her eyes growing watery, “NOOOO!!!” She grabbed the cat and squeezed it, tears flowing like rivers from her eyes, “He’s turned into a kitty!!!”

“Gimme that, furball...” an annoyed voice said from the darkness. A hand reached out and took the hat from the cats head. Kris turned in the direction the hat had gone, and dropped the cat, which ran away, meowing.

“Shadow?” Kris said, “Is that...YOU?!”

Ooooo. The suspense is killing you, isn't it?

DannyBoy
19th July 2003, 04:48 PM
That was a good chapter. Shawdow has a curse thats new. Larvitar is strong kickin that pigs ***. To bad that wasn't a fertalized pokemon egg, it would be cool for Shawdow to have a baby dodrio or doduo. I wonder if that is Shawdow at the end we will have to wiat. That was a long chapter and thats good, description was ok but your getting the hang of it. Keep it up!

Kohdok
25th July 2003, 01:45 PM
GOMEN NASAI! I'm sorry for falling so far behind! I'll get Chapter 7 up immediatly. For you non-believers out there, it's still the beginning of the story. The plot is a little slow to develop, but it will get better as we go onwards. This is true of many stories, is it not?

Chapter 7: Shadow's Secret

“Kris?” Tochi asked as she entered the ally way, “What is it?” Then she caught sight of Shadow, “Oh, my!” She said, putting her hands over her mouth, “Shadow? You’re a...a...”

“Don’t say it.” Shadow grumbled.

“...A girl.”

Everyone else facefaulted from Tochi mentioning the obvious. Indeed, Shadow had switched genders, gone from male to female, put sex-change operations to shame...however you want to describe it. His body had taken on a curvier appearence and his hair had also gotten roughly 2-feet longer.

“Man...” Larvitar said, “Not only is it wierd, it’s cliche...”

“Shadow?” Tochi said, “Have you...been to China, or something?”

“Uh, no...” Shadow replied in kind of a ‘no-duh’ manner.

“Man...I’ve seen this kind of things in tons of the things you humans call “Comic books”.” Larvitar said.

“But, doesn’t she look good?” Kris said, “She needs something, though...”

“Don’t call me ‘she’.” Shadow said, obviously irritated. Kris, seeming to ignore him, pulled out a hair tie, took Shadow’s long hair, and strung it through, giving Shadow a ponytail, “What the heck are you people doing?!” Shadow yelled, grabbing Kris by the collar.

“Now you look PERFECT!” Kris said, clasping her hands together.

“Why the he--” Just then, Shadow felt something hot trickling down his back, “Eeeee-YOW!” He sprung up to see Tochi holding a kettle of hot water in her hands.

“You...you didn’t change back...” Tochi said, her pinky and fore-finger extended in shock.

“This isn’t Ranma 1/2, you idiot!” Shadow yelled.

“Still, it’s fascinating,” Tochi said.

“I’ve always wanted a big sister!” Kris said, giving Shadow a hug.

“What the hell?!” Shadow yelled, “What’s WRONG with you people?!”

“I mean, his clothes have changed size, and everything!” Tochi said, putting her hands on Shadow’s shoulders.

“ACK!” Shadow yelled as Tochi ripped off his sweatshirt and pulled another out of his backpack.

“I mean, see? It’s even a different size, and everything!” Tochi said, comparing the shirts. Indeed, the one Shadow had just been wearing had a bit more of an hourglass shape compared to Shadow’s regular sweatshirt.

“That’s nice,” Shadow said, “Now can I have my shirt back?”

“Wait a second...” Tochi said, “You’re not wearing underwear under this, are you?” Her pupils dialated, “So, wouldn’t that make you half na--” She turned around...to see Shadow wearing the black t-shirt he always wore under his sweatshirt, “...oh.”

Shadow growled as he snatched back his shirt.

“Yup,” Larvitar said, “One of the most cliched curses in known comic book history. Guy to girl...yup...cliche...”

“That doesn’t make it any less annoying!” Shadow said as he slipped on his shirt, “Besides, what do you think all of those curses in the comics are based on?”

“True, true...” Larvitar replied, holding her chin.

“But, how long have you been like this?” Tochi asked.

“13 years...” Shadow grumbled in his deep irritation.

“Well, this is the first I’VE heard of it,” Kris said.

“I think you can see why,” Tochi said, “This isn’t the kind of thing you want to let get out...”

“Finally, a little understanding,” Shadow said, walking down the alley, “Now let’s get out of here. I need to find that necklace. It’s a seal for the curse.”

“Uh, Shadow,” Larvitar said.

“What?” Shadow said, turning to his pokemon.

“It...kinda broke, remember?”

“S***...” Shadow said, “Well, then we need to find another.”

“How the heck are we supposed to find another one of those?” Tochi asked.

“You’d be surprised at how many gypsies carry those kinds of things.” Shadow replied.

“Three days...and not a sign of a gypsy...” Shadow sulked as he walked ahead down the dirt path, where grass grew tall on either side of the road. Shadow idly kicked a rock down the path before him as he continued down the dusty road. The group was heading North towards Violet city. Obviously, Shadow was still female. They were halfway to Violet City at this point.

“Well, there are a lot of mystical artifacts in Violet,” Tochi replied. Kris had gone to the side in the tall grass. However, her giggling and the grass she stirred around gave Shadow constant tabs on her location.

“And you know this how?” Shadow asked.

“Well, Violet city IS the closest city to Ecruteak, you know.” Tochi replied.

“I guess that’s true.” Shadow said.

“Yup,” Tochi said, “I’m sure we’ll find something there.”

“Shhh...” Shadow said, stopping Tochi by putting his hand out in front of her.

“What is it?” Tochi asked.

Shadow remained silent as he stared into the grass. Tochi peered out past Shadow to hope to see what he was detecting.

Suddenly, there was a loud rustle as something raced through the grass is a bee-line towards them, cutting a path faster than a UFO could make a crop circle.

“What the?” Tochi said. Shadow didn’t budge as Tochi cringed behind him. Then, whatever it was flew out of the grass like a cannonball.

“SHAAAAADOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!” Kris yelled as she erupted from the grass into Shadow’s arms. There were tears in her eyes and was shivering badly.

“Kris?!” Shadow said, “What’s wrong?”

“It was long...and brown...and SCARY!” Kris panted as she clung tightly to Shadow.

“What?!” Tochi said, “What could be so horrible?” Kris and Tochi gasped when the grass next to them began rustling. Sound of creeping and growling came from the shaking grass.

And it was getting closer...

Kris clung tighter to Shadow’s shirt as Tochi hid behind him. Shadow braced himself for the oncoming threat.

Whatever the creature was stepped out onto the dirt path before them. Kris whimpered in fear.

“Um...” Tochi said, “Isn’t that a Weedle?”

The Weedle wagged its stinger and let out a friendly, innocent cry.

Kris found herself flat on the ground when Shadow facefaulted, “A Weedle...?” he said, obviously quite annoyed, as he stood up, dusting himself off, “You got me all tense over a little Weedle?!”

“But, it’s scary...” Kris said.

“There is no reason to be scared of an insignificant, tiny insect!” Shadow said, pointing to the Weedle.

“But...but...” Kris said. Suddenly, the Weedle began creeping closer to her, “Yipe!” Kris said as she scooted away from the Weedle on her behind. However, the Weedle continued its relentless advance, “Shadow!” Kris yelled, tears welling up in her eyes, “Kill it! Kill it NOW!”

Tochi and Shadow sweatdropped as Kris scooted in a little circle around them.

“Man...” Shadow said, “If you want to get rid of it so badly, YOU fight it.”

“Me?” Kris whimpered, pointing to herself. Her irises looked almost twice their normal size as they glistened with tears.

“Yes, you.” Shadow said, bending down and pressing his finger against her nose.

“Uh...uh...” Kris said as her eyes vascillated from Shadow’s face to the Weedle, who put on a cheerful expression as it wagged its tail, “Oh......Okay!” She said, taking a hard swollow. She wobbled to her feet and took a few steps back, “I...I’m not scared of you! I...I...I’ll finish you off myself!” She put her shivering hand near her pokeball. However, she was still so spooked that she could barely grip the ball.

Throwing a determined look across her face, Kris firmly grabbed the ball and threw it at her feet. Out popped her Chikorita, whom she had named Ike. Obviously, it was a male Chikorita. After letting out a cheerful cry, Ike looked at its opponent, the Weedle.

“Chika?” it said, looking at its foe. The Weedle put its head forwards slightly, and let out another friendly cry.

“CHIIIKKAAAAAAAA!!!!”

soon, Shadow found yet another scared critter attached to his face. Ike shivered as it clung to Shadow firmly with its paws.

“For the love of...!” Shadow said grabbing the Chikorita by the scruff of its neck and peeling it off, “It’s just a little Weedle!” He yelled at Ike, who was curled in a fetal position from being held by the scruff of its neck, “You’re twice its size, for

god’s sake! It’ll be a cinch for you to beat it! Now get in there and fight!” He let Ike drop to the ground.

It did so with an “Oof,” and shook its head. It then got back on its feet and journeyed back to its foe. It began to sweat as it stared down the bug. It’s eyes soon began desperatly looking around, trying to find some way of attacking this foe. It then let out a positive squeal when it found something. It pranced over to where a long twig was lying, picked it up with its mouth, and pranced back over to the Weedle. It then held the twig in one of its front paws, as the other three leaned him closer to his target without losing its balance. The twig quivered as it neared its foe, Ike straining to get it close enough. It then weakly poked the Weedle on the nose with the end of the twig. Then again, then again.

The Weedle, thinking this was a game, playfully grabbed the stick in its mouth.

Ike went screaming into his owner’s arms, who joined him in the screaming.

“This is just too pathetic...” Tochi said as she and Shadow sweatdropped.

The Weedle dropped the stick and once again began advancing in Kris’s direction.

“N-no...” Kris said weakly, “Stay away!” She cringed down from her fright. The Weedle then reached her knee and sniffed it. Kris whimpered once more, shutting her eyes. She then felt a light tickle on her knee. Kris’s eyes flew open as the Weedle began creeping up her leg. She grabbed the sides of her head, too paralyzed to try to swat the Weedle away. Her breathing rate increased as it went from her thigh to her hip. Sweat dripped down her forehead as it climbed up her waist. She cringed tighter, though it didn’t help her at all. The Weedle felt her quickenig pules as it passed across her chest before crawling along her neck. Kris gasped at the tickling sensation that the Weedle’s hairy feet left across her skin. It then looked her right in the face, roughly half of its body still clinging to the side of Kris’s head. Kris’s pupils were as tiny as the head of a pin as the Weedle began to near her face. Kris again scooted away backwards, though it did her no good. She then felt the things lips against her cheek.

This was just too much for her to handle. Kris’s entire body got a really nasty chill, and she promptly passed out, falling onto her back.

Shadow and Tochi had witnessed the whole thing, and agreed that she was over-reacting.

The Weedle yawned and curled up on top of Kris’s stomach. It then fell asleep, giving off a strange purring noise.

“Uh...I think it likes her...” Shadow said, sweatdropping.

“She’s still out?” Tochi asked. Night had fallen at the nearest pokemon Center. Kris lay on a bench with a blanket lightly draped over her motionless form. Shadow had carried her all the way to the pokemon center with Kris on his back. Weedle, the determined little bugger, had followed them the whole way. Shadow sipped on a soda as he sat next to his sister.

Larvitar lifted one of Kris’s eyelids and waved her hand in front of it, “Yup...” She said, releasing Kris’s eyelid, “She’s still out cold.”

“Man...” Shadow said. Weedle again rested on top of Kris’s stomach, appearing quite content with its newfound warmth.

“But, I don’t understand...” Tochi said, “I know there’s this bias in the anime that girls are deathly afraid of bugs, but this just doesn’t make sense...” She looked at Kris’s face, with her hair slightly out of place, “How could she be so afraid at this age.”

“Childhood trauma.” Shadow replied, taking another sip of his soda, “You know how there’s a kind of Caterpie that only eat weeds?”

“Yes,” Tochi replied, “Aren’t they used for a humane kind of yardwork?”

“Correct,” Shadow replied dryly, “We’ve used those on our lawn every spring and summer. That’s where mom got her pink butterfree. She found the unusual Caterpie in a batch she was given. However, the first batch we ever got we accidentally dropped all over Kris. She was only 4 at the time. She refused to leave the house for about two months. Ever since, she’s always gotten that way when she sees a whole buch of bug pokemon. She sometimes goes into a coma if she’s surrounded by enough of them.”

“Goodness...” Tochi said, putting her hand to her lips, “Poor kid...”

“Mmmmmm.....” Kris moaned.

“Hey, she’s coming-to!” Tochi said as Kris moved her head around. Shadow didn’t react, “Kris, you all right?”

“I’m fine...” Kris said groggily, slightly opening her eyes, “What’d I miss?”

“Not much...” Shadow said in his own cynical way. he took yet another swig of his drink.

Kris slowly rose her head, only to be met by the rather contented Weedle. It smiled the best a weedle could and let out another friendly call.

“GYAAAAAAAHHH!” Kris yelled, flying up from her position, “Wh...what’s THAT doing here?!” She begged, clinging to the ceiling.

“Would you believe it followed us home?” Larvitar said.

“It was so insistant on following you,” Tochi said, “So I registered it for you. She’s now yours.” She held up a pokeball, a custom-colored one that had been colored blue. It signified that the Weedle now belonged to Kris.

Kris whimpered, and eventually was driven to tears when she learned of her new pokemon.

Shadow merely sighed in disgust as Kris’s tears dripped onto the top of his head, finishing off his soda.

I know the curse was...meh...but, I'll try to make it more interesting in the future

Next time: Chapter 8: Kitsune

DannyBoy
25th July 2003, 06:16 PM
That was a good chapter. Shawdow has a very intresting cure on him, very intresting. Also its very funny with Weedle! I hope she grows to like it before it evolves. Good length and description in this. Keep it uP!

Kohdok
29th July 2003, 02:26 PM
Ah, my first two-parter...here's the first part, obviously...

Here you go!

Chapter 8: Kitsune

“I must say I’m amazed as to how wel adjusted you are to your curse, Shadow,” Tochi said as they continued down a better-paved road than the one from before. They were a full week up the path towards Violet City, and only one more day remained on the route. Kris still hadn’t gotten over the fact that she had gotten a Weedle, but she trotted happily along just the same.

“Don’t be,” Shadow said as usual, “Don’t think that I haven’t lost or broken that thing before.” He sighed and put his fingers through his hair, “I just hope mom still has a spare.”

“If you were curious about that,” Tochi said, “Why didn’t you ask her in Violet town or at that Pokemon Center?”

Shadow’s eyes went wide, as he realized that teleportation devices had been in both of those locations. He slapped his hand onto his face, smacking his forehead. Tochi merely giggled.

“But, how did you get this curse, anyway?” Tochi asked.

“I don’t really remember,” Shadow said, “But Mom’s told me that some gypsy lady put it on me because I didn’t have much respect for women. She said that being one would give me more respect.”

“Really?” Tochi said, “But, you don’t come across that way to me...” Tochi then thought it over in her head, “Wait. You said you’ve had this curse for 13 years, right?”

“Right.”

“So...wouldn’t that mean you got it when you were three years old?”

“Yup...”

“But...most little boys aren’t friendly with girls when they are three...so why--”

“Mom had to explain it to her,” Shadow interrupted, “The woman understood, but said she couldn’t remove the curse. That’s why I had that seal.”

“Ah.” Tochi said. Soon, the three were quiet once more.

All of a sudden, almost as if it was a recurring nightmare, a small bush on the side of the road jostled around.

“Huh?” Shadow said.

“What’s that?” Tochi said softly as she watched the bush wriggle around.

“It’s gotta be another bug!” Kris whimpered as she clung to Shadow.

“I swear...” Shadow said, shrugging the two off, “If it’s another bug...” His voice increased in volume as he rushed at the bush, “If It’s another BUG...!” He said as he ripped the bush open to reveal what was inside, “I’ll...huh?” Shadow lowered his fist. Before him was a little girl, no older than 6, dressed in a simple, pale orange Yukata that was dotted with pictures of cherry blossoms. She seemed slightly tattered and very lost.

“Oh my!” Tochi said, “It’s a little girl! She looks so tattered and lost...”

“Yeah...” Shadow said, slightly annoyed, “The paragraph above you already said that...”

The little girl whimpered slightly as she looked up at the group, “Ma.........ma...”

“Huh?” Shadow said as he looked down at the girl.

“Momma?” The girl asked, tears welling up in her eyes.

“Huh...?” Shadow asked as the girl stepped towards him out of the bushes. The young girl then put her arms around his leg, “Wha?!”

“Momma!” The girl cried as she clung to Shadow’s leg.

“What’s this, Shadow?” Tochi asked, “Some kind of sick love-child?”

“Of course not!” Shadow yelled, “Now let go! I’m not your mom!” Shadow lifted his leg into the air to try to get the child to let go. However, the girl held fast, even as Shadow held his leg parallel to the ground, “Wow...”

“She does kind of look like you, Shadow,” Larvitar said, “With the black hair and the incredible strength...”

“For the last time, I’ve never seen this girl in my life!!” Shadow protested, his face beginning to turn red as he madly shook his leg in an attempt to loosen the child’s hold, “Yeow!” Shadow yelled, “Man...this kid’s got some sharp nails...” He lowered his leg. The child finally let go to reveal some injuries where her hands had been that were bleeding slighty, “REALLY sharp.”

“Ah- HA!” A loud, muscular voice said overhead, “I’ve finally found you!” Out from the bushes shot a muscular teenager who looked like he was wearing a combat uniform. His strawberry red hair was even in a buzz cut. Judging by his scratches and bruises, he also seemed to have been through hell. The little girl winced at this man’s presence, and began to cry slightly, “Now I’ve got you!” he yelled as he lunged at the child. The girl screamed as the man closed in, only to hear a loud crash. The little girl slightly opened her eyes to see the man flat on the ground, his ankle clipped by Shadow’s good leg. He had been tripped and had landed with the girl just inches from his reach.

At this, the girl began bawling, tears streaming from her mostly closed eyes. She dashed over to Shadow as he stood up, dusting himself off. She once again got a death-grip around his leg, “Momma!’ She sobbed, “This strange man is after me! Make him go away!”

Shadow turned to the man as he pushed himself up with his arms, coughing violently, “Damn...” he muttered, “Who does that chick think she is?” At this, he rose to his feet and confronted Shadow, “You!” He said accusingly, pointing to Shadow with his muscular hand, “Why are you protecting that girl? She is an abomination and doesn’t belong on this world! She needs to be destroyed!!”

“Say, what’s so strange about that little girl, anyway?” Tochi asked confrontationally, appearing between the gruff man and Shadow.

“Can you not see it?!” The man yelled loudly, so loud in fact that a nearby flock of Pidgeys flew away in fright.

There was a long pause. Tochi and Shadow looked down at the little girl as she looked into Shadow’s face, teary eyed.

“Should we...?” Shadow asked.

The man facefaulted, but quickly rose to his feet, “How can you not see that that girl is not human?!”

“I’d say you were less human...” Larvitar said, “If you said I was not human, then we’d be forced to agree, but in this case--”

“You stay out of this!” The man yelled, punting Larvitar away.

“Hey now, that wasn’t very nice,” Kris said cheerfully as she dropped onto the man’s shoulders from out of nowhere, “Guess who?” she said, putting her hands over the man’s eyes as she sat on his shoulders.

“Hey!” The man said, flailing his arms out in front of him, “Let go! I can’t see!” He then began running amok like a maniac, “It’s dark! It’s dark!!”

*BAM!!*

The man fell over and collapsed prompty after running into a rather sturdy tree. He groaned as he lay on the ground. Kris cawled out from under his motionless body, her hair a mess.

“Well...I gues that’s that...” Tochi said.

“No it’s not!” Larvitar said, popping out of nowhere with a gimmickly bandage on the side of her head, “Look!” She pointed to the tree that the man had crashed into face-first. It slowly creaked over, and the tilt was slight at first, but soon, the entire tree collapsed in the opposite direction that the man was lying. It landed hard on the ground, scaring away all of the birds that had been resting atop its branches.

“I vote to get out of here before that guy rips our heads off!” Tochi said in a panicked voice, throwing her hand into the air.

“I concur!” Larvitar said, throwing her hand into the air as well. The group bolted, running at top speed away from the unconcious wreck. Shadow carried the young girl in her arms.

“I still say she looks like you,” Tochi said as she held the young girl in her arms. The two hadn’t heard from the strange man since, but still had the young girl in their company, “Are you sure this isn’t a distant relative of yours?”

“I’m positive.” Shadow said firmly.

“Can you prove you’re not related?” Tochi asked.

Shadow stopped in his tracks and growled, “I can!” he said loudly, “I don’t have whiskers!” He pointed to the little girl’s face.

“But...you’re a girl right now...” Tochi said, sweatdropping, “Of course you don’t have whiskers...”

Shadow facefaulted, “No!” he said, coming back into place, “I mean I don’t have whiskers like SHE does!”

“She’s growing a beard?” Tochi said, “It sure doesn’t look like it to me...”

Shadow moaned and collapsed to the ground, writhing from the words that Tochi was saying, “Not THOSE kinds of whiskers!” he said, coming back to his feet, “I mean WHISKERS!” he put his hand on the girl’s cheek, clasped his fingers around what appeard to be skin, and gave a tug. To Tochi’s surprise, the girl’s cheek seemed to stretch like when you pull on a cat’s whisker, leading to where Shadow’s hand was. Upon closer inspection, Tochi found a mostly trasparent whisker in Shadow’s hand. It was just like a whisker that you might find on a cat or a dog, roughly 6 inches long.

“Oooohhhhhhh...” Tochi said, “Whiskers...got it...”

Shadow growled once more as he let the girl’s whisker go.

“Say, Shadow,” Kris said, “Shouldn’t we tell Professor Elm about this?” She said, giving the girl a gentle tap on the nose, which caused her to giggle softly. It seemed that her mood had greatly improved from when they had found her.

“True,” Shadow said, “There might be a missing-person’s report out on her.” Shadow then went to the small device on his wrist. This gadget was called “Poke-Gear” and was used by many pokemon trainers. It is an invaluable, if rather expensive, tool for pokemon trainers. It’s a cell/video phone, an information database for your pokemon, and can even be expanded for Map and Radio capabilities with special cartridges that have been dubbed “cards”.

Shadow typed in a phone number. After a couple of rings, a small picture of Professor Elm appeared on the screen. It was obvious that he was shirking again, since he had a Chokey Chicken Kids meal on the table in front of him.

“Yes?” Professor Elm said, “Who are you?” He took a sip of his Kiddy Cola.

“It’s me, Shadow.” Shadow said.

“Well...I’m having a little trouble believing that...” Professor Elm said as he got out his little bag of French Fries, “You see, Shadow’s not a girl.”

A few of Shadow’s hairs popped out of place, “Here...” he groaned, passing the pokegear to Tochi, “YOU talk to him...”

“Oh-HO!” Professor Elm said once he saw Tochi’s face, “Now there’s someone I recognize. How have you been, Ms. Tochi?”

“Me?” Tochi said, blushing, “Well, I-i-i-i-i-I’m okay, Pr...pr...”

“Give me that!” Shadow said, grabbing his pokegear away from Tochi as she continued babbling like a flustered idiot, “I’m telling you I AM Shadow!” he said.

“I’m still not following you...” Professor Elm said as he munched on his Chokey Chicken Jr. sandwich.

“Ask my mom about it later...” Shadow groaned, his face turning a little red.

“Your mom knows about this?” Tochi said, tapping Shadow on the shoulder.

“Of COURSE she does...” Shadow said. He cleared his throat, “Anyway, I need to ask a favor of you, Elm,” he said firmly.

“And what’s that?” Professor Elm said as he crumpled up the sandwich wrapper in his hands, crinkling it into the smallest ball he could make it before tossing it over his shoulder and out of view.

“I need you to check some missing-person’s reports for me,” Shadow said.

“Really?” Professor Elm said, “Is Kris missing, or something?”

“I’m right here!” Kris said, popping up in between Shadow and the Poke-gear.

“Right...” Shadow said, pushing Kris out of the way, “I need you to check to see if this girl has been reported missing.” As he said this, he put the camera on the little girl that had joined their group. The girl’s whiskers perked up, showing her curiosity towards the strange device.

“Ah,” Elm said, some fries stuffed in his mouth, “Ah’ll ged on id wide away...” he said with his mouth full. With warp speed, Elm began browsing through the files on his computer for someone who matched the girl’s description. He swollowed his fries and began talking, “Let’s see....black hair...black eyes...whiskers...AH!” He said, bringing up a match. He had the image placed on the screen, “Her name is Sora Kitsune,” Elm said, “She’s from a family in Violet City had has reportedly been missing for 2 weeks.”

“2 weeks...?” Tochi said, running her fingers through Sora’s hair, “Poor kid...”

“And according to some rumors,” Elm said, blipping back on screen, “There is a reward out for her return.” He then pulled out the prize for his kids meal: A Chokey Chicken action figure with intense clucking action, “Uh, I need to go...” he said, removing the toy from its little baggy, “I’m...uh...VERY busy right now, so...BYE!” He clicked off-screen.

“Well...at least we have an ID on this girl,” Tochi said, “That’s pretty good.”

“And her family lives in the direction that we are headed.” Shadow said.

“Still,” Larvitar said, “Those whiskers are kind of wierd...” she circled Sora a couple of times, “I don’t see anything else that’s strange, though...”

“Well, we’ll probably get an explination for the whiskers when we get her back to her parents,” Shadow said, “so let’s keep moving!”

“Whew...” Professor Elm said within the confines of his lab as he pressed the button on his new toy, causing it to cluck like a chicken, “That was close...now, we are alone again my precious Chokey...”

“Violet City at last...” Shadow grunted as they entered town. He carried Sora on his shoulders as she slept soundly, “We can get this kid home...”

“Shouldn’t we stop at a Pokemon Center, first?” Tochi asked, also exhausted, as they had doubled their pace to get to Violet before the sun set, “Kris’s only concious pokemon is her Weedle...”

“Stay away from me!” Kris yelled as she ran away from her Weedle.

“Can’t go on...” Larvitar said, “Need...Quik-e-Mart...”

“Good...idea...” Shadow panted. Fortunately, there was a Pokemon Center not too far away. The group dragged their feet inside. Shadow and Kris set their pokemon on the counter as Tochi took the still-sleeping Sora to a nearby bench.

“Poor kid...” Tochi said as she dusted off the child, “I mean, she’s really a mess...” She ran her hands over the rips and tears in Sora’s Yukata, “I bet she’ll be so happy to get home...eh?” She then came across something sticking out of the base of Sora’s Yukata, what looked like a white tuft of cotten, “Ah, she must have picked it up on the trail somewhere,” Tochi said, giving the furry object a tug. However, the object didn’t come loose, “Huh...?” Tochi said. Upon further inspection, Tochi found it to be what appeared to be a tail, with black fur except on the white tip. It had been neatly hidden underneath the Yukata, “Okay...” Tochi said, “Even for THIS fic, this is pretty wierd...”

“What’s wierd?” Kris asked as she popped up nearby.

“Nothing!” Tochi said quickly, releasing Sora’s tail.

“Ah,” Larvitar said, approaching the two, “So THIS is where the ‘Kitsune’ part comes from...” She took the little tuft of fur at the tip of Sora’s tail in her hand.

“How would YOU know that?” Tochi asked curiously.

“Well,” Larvitar said, “ ‘Kitsune’ is Japanese for ‘fox’, isn’t it?”

“Well, yes, but...” Tochi said.

“She’s got a tail, too?” A deep, male voice said as the source approached.

“Who...Who are you?” Tochi asked, pointing at the man.

“It’s me...Shadow...” Shadow said.

“Oh?” Tochi asked. It was then that she noticed the new necklace around Shadow’s neck, “Oh...” She said, blushing a little with embarrasment, “I...I guess I didn’t recognize you since you were a girl for the past week...” She chuckled nervously and shrunk a bit, “Man...” she thought, “I don’t remember him being that tall...” Shadow hadn’t grown any taller, in reality. He was now once again 6 feet tall instead of the 5 and a half feet of his female form.

“Let’s just get this kid home...” Shadow said, scooping Sora up in his arms. He then went over to Nurse Joy to ask her the location of the house.

“1080 Will-o-wisp road,” Tochi said as she looked at the slip of paper with the address on it. Night had fallen on them and now crickets chirped in the backround, destroying the silence, “This is the place, all right,” she said. Slipping the piece of paper into her pocket, she rang the doorbell. An eerie chime rang through the house. After roughly a 30-second wait, the light in the front of the house lit up. The door slowly creaked open.

“Yes...?” a voice timidly said. The face attached to it poked her head out nervously, “What is it?”

“Does this belong to you?” Shadow said, taking the snoozing Sora under her armpits and presenting her to the woman.

The woman’s eyes welled up with tears, “Sora...?” she said, the door opening a crack further.

Sora’s eyes slowly opened. She looked at the woman before her, “M....Momma...?” She said weakly.

A tear ran down the woman’s cheek, “Sora!” She sobbed, the door flying open, smacking Tochi in the face. The woman took her young daughter in her arms, shedding profuse tears, “I thought I’d never see you again!” She sobbed, clutching her child tightly. She collapsed to her knees in her crying. It was almost as if she hadn’t seen her daughter in a year by the way she was acting, “Sora...”

“Momma, I’m okay,” Sora said as she was lightly squished in her mother’s arms.

“Man...” Shadow said as Tochi rubbed her forehead, “You just have no luck with doors, do you?”

“I guess I can see a resemblance...” Larvitar said. Indeed, like her daughter, the woman had black hair, black eyes, and...whiskers and a long, bushy, black tail with a white tuft at the end.

The woman sniffed and stood up, “Sorry,” She said, wiping a tear from her eye, “Please, come in.”

To Be Continued...

DannyBoy
29th July 2003, 05:21 PM
That was a weird chapter. A girl growing a beard! She could be the next Berded lady at the circus! YEa! I wonder why the girl thinks Shawdow is its mommy? Hmmm we need Jerry Springer here to decide! This is very intresting I wonder why that dude wants to kill her, maybe she is part of a secret experament like Mewtwo! Keep it up! ( I can dream)

Kohdok
29th July 2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by IloveX-TINA
That was a weird chapter. A girl growing a beard! She could be the next Berded lady at the circus! YEa! I wonder why the girl thinks Shawdow is its mommy? Hmmm we need Jerry Springer here to decide! This is very intresting I wonder why that dude wants to kill her, maybe she is part of a secret experament like Mewtwo! Keep it up! ( I can dream)

I said they were like cat whiskers...if you know what those look like...that's why they were a little hard to notice...

I've hesitated in asking and I apologize if I sound rude, but you keep spelling Shadow's name wrong...

Oh well...many answers will unfold (The part-fox people, why that guy is after them...everything) in the next chapter.

Kohdok
31st July 2003, 09:10 PM
Okay, I know this fic is going rather slowly at this point, but you just need to give it time. If I throw the plot right at you, I burn out really quick, so I'm trying to ease this in so that you get a good graso on the characters before the plot truly begins taking effect.

Oh well, here's the exciting (Sort of, it's a little more action-y than the first) conclusion.

Chapter 9

“I must thank you again for bringing Sora back,” Sora’s mother said as she set down a platter with a few glasses of lightly steaming tea on them, “I assure you I can explain...um...everything...”

“You really DO look like Shadow,” Larvitar said, “You’ve got that long black hair in a ponytail and...I guess I can see why Sora mistook Shadow for you.”

“Really?” Sora’s mother asked, “How could...?”

“We’re getting off of the subject,” Shadow said sternly.

“Sorry...” Sora’s mother said, “Is there anything that you might want to know?”

“Yeah,” Shadow said as he took one of the cups, “What’s up with the tails?”

“Shadow!” Tochi whispered harshly, “It’s impolite to be so forward!”

However, Sora’s mother simply laughed, “It’s okay,” She said, “We’re asked that question all the time.”

Sora slept on the couch nearby, curled into a tiny little ball with her tail wrapped in front of her nose, much like you might see a dog or a cat curl up. She didn’t seem uncomfortable at all, but quite relaxed dispite how her body was positioned. She had been given a change of clothes from her worn Yukata once she had returned home. Kris was also asleep. Though she used Sora as a pillow, Sora didn’t seem to mind.

“You see, a long time ago, one of my ancestors fell in love with a fox demon.” Sora’s mother continued.

“Fox demon?” Shadow asked skeptically, putting up an eyebrow.

“Of course,” Tochi said, as if confirming the statement, “Those kinds of things existed two or three thousand years ago.” She took a sip of her tea. Shadow merely glared at her.

“Correct,” Sora’s mother said, “And, as you can see, he still leaves his mark on every new generation...” She took her tail in her hands and stroked it gently, “We get a little ridicule now and then, but it’s mostly from outsiders. Our family has been pretty much accepted by this community, but I fear we might have to move again...” Her tone became more saddened.

“Move?” Larvitar asked, “Why?”

“Did you happen to see a large man when you found Sora?” Sora’s mother asked.

“He knocked down a tree, how could we NOT have seen him?” Shadow said dryly.

“Well...” Sora’s mother said nervously, “For about a year now, he’s been harassing our family.”

“Harassing?” Tochi asked, “How?”

“It was just teenage pranks at first,” Sora’s mother said, “You know, like spreading toilet paper over the outside of the house and on the tree; throwing eggs at the house, even though the idiot hard-boiled them first; sending us threatening letters...but lately he’s gotten more bold...”

“Haven’t you gone to the police about this?” Tochi asked.

“We have,” Sora’s mother replied, “But they haven’t been able to do anything. They try their best, but the person always disappears.”

“Would you know why he would do such a thing?” Tochi asked.

“To tell the truth, I have no idea...he says it’s for payback, but I don’t know what he’s talking about...” Sora’s mother said.

“Payback...” Shadow said, “If he says it’s payback...it might not just be rascist.”

“Of course it could,” Tochi said, “If something horrible happened to his family in the past that had to do with a fox demon, that’s enough to make anybody rascist.”

“Whatever you say, little Miss Know-it-all...” Shadow said sarcastically.

“But it’s true!” Tochi said confrontationally, standing up.

“Please, please don’t fight,” Sora’s mother said, trying to quell the two, “I don’t want you fighting in front of Sora...she’s been through enough already. Tochi took a deep breath, sighed, and sat back down next to Shadow.

“Yup,” Larvitar said, “Shadow’s kind of a jerk, isn’t he?”

All of a sudden, Sora’s mother’s head perked up, “Did you hear that?” She said.

“Hear what?” Shadow asked.

“Shhhhh!” Tochi said, putting her finger in front of her mouth. With all of them quiet, they heard what Sora’s Mother had.

It sounded like someone jimmying the lock on the front door.

“Oh no!” Sora’s mother said, “He’s back!”

“Quick! get Sora into the next room!” Shadow whispered.

“Got it...” The man said smugly as the door opened. Little to everyone’s surprise, it was the man that had been chasing after Sora earlier that morning. He began to wander around the darkened living room as quietly as he could, “Now...” he said, smirking, “Where are they...?” He put his hands out in front of himself as he clumsily felt his way around the room.

“Weedle! String Shot!”

“Wha?!” The intruder said, turning around. To his surprise, he found himself covered in a stream of sticky string. When he looked towards the source, he saw Kris pointing towards him as her Weedle shot its sticky string from its mouth, “Ack!” he said as the lights flew on, “Stop!” He then felt a hand around his neck. Shadow whipped the man around and slammed him into the wall, pinning him by the neck against it. However, the man’s neck was so strong that Shadow’s choke hold didn’t cut off his windpipe.

Unable to move from the tough, sticky string which now adhered to the wall, the man couldnt resist , “I can’t believe it,” he said, “That b**** actually hired bodyguards?!” He tried fruitlessly to escape from his hardening cocoon.

“Watch your mouth!” Tochi said as she popped out from behind another couch, “This is supposed to be a general audience fanfic!”

“But, she’s part fox, right?” The man said.

“Yeah?” Shadow said, as if saying ‘yes’ and asking ‘why’ at the same time.

“So...aren’t female foxes called B--” Shadow slammed his hand over the man’s mouth before he could finish speaking.

“They’re called ‘vixens’.” Shadow said firmly.

“Oh...” the man said, his voice muffled by Shadow’s hand.

“It’s okay now!” Larvitar said, calling out to the door to the next room.

After a long pause, the door nervously creaked open. Sora’s mother, carrying Sora in her arms, nervously entered the room.

Almost as if seeing the two was a trigger, the invader exploded, “YOU!!!” he yelled. Almost as if it was nothing, he broke free of the String Shot and rushed at the two.

Sora’s mom screamed as the man lunged at her.

*BAM!*

Sora’s mom whimpered in her cringing position, but discovered that she had not been attacked or knocked down. She opened her eyes a crack, then all the way when she saw what had happened.

The man was again flat on the floor, tripped in all his clumsiness yet again by Shadow, who had clipped his ankle and left the man face first on the floor and inches from his target. Sora’s mother let out a relieved sigh.

The man slowly came-to, moaning and groaning from his hard landing. He tried to move his arms, but found himself paralyzed, “Wha?!” His eyes flew open and he saw why he couldn’t move.

Wrapped around his torso and his ankles was what appeared to be a thick metal cable.

“Those are strong enough to suspend a truck in mid-air,” Shadow said, “I’m sure they’re strong enough to hold you. The man looked around at the others in the room. Tochi and Larvitar sat next to Shadow, making sure the man didn’t make any sudden moves. Kris lay on the couch, passed out again after being chased by her Weedle, for she had wasted her built-up courage when she told it to attack. Weedle hung from one of the rafters by a thin thread that came from its mouth. His eyes then moved until they fell upon the owners of the house he was imprisoned in.

“You!!” he said, getting onto his bound feet, “I’ll kill you!” he said as he hopped forward, only to be more easily tripped and sent face-first onto the floor once more without even his arms to slightly break the fall. He landed hard on his chin, which slammed shut, causing him to sharply bite his tongue.

“You don’t learn very fast, do you?” Shadow said.

The man growled as he lay on the floor like an inchworm, “What do you want from me?” he said angrily.

“Why do you hate those two so much?!” Tochi asked angrily.

“Why should I tell you that?!” The man yelled.

“This is your chance to tell these two to their face why you hate them so much.” Shadow said nonchalantly, “You’d better not waste it...”

“I’ll tell you why!” The man said, “Because they’re filthy, dirty animals!” Sora’s mother cringed at theviolent words and covered Sora’s ears, “And they...they...” The man’s eyes welled with tears, “They are responsible for the death of my father!” He yelled.

“Your father?” Tochi asked, “So, your father was killed by a fox demon?”

“Not just any fox demon!” The man yelled, “Her father!” He glared up at Sora’s father, who gasped.

There was another long pause.

“Is this true...?” Tochi asked.

“I...” Sora’s mother said, taking Sora more tightly in her arms, “I...uh...”

“Have we been on the wrong side all along?” Shadow said, “It’s just like the U.S. when it comes to Hussein and Bin Laden...”

“No!” Sora’s mother said, “Let me explain!” she then sat down, “It was about 15 years ago, right?” She said to the man.

“Right!” The man said angrily.

“I think our fathers got into a fight...” Sora’s mother said.

“Oh boy, a flashback...” Shadow said sarcastially.

* * * Flashback * * *

(Shadow: I knew this was coming...)

Intruder’s father: Your kind should not belong here!

Sora’s Mother’s Father: We have nowhere else to go! You should learn to tolerate us being here!

I’s Father: You can find another place to go! I don’t want my children near a fox demon such as yourself!

S’s M’s Father: Are you asking for a fight?!

I’s father: You can count on it!!

“It lasted almost ten minutes...” Sora’s mother said painfully.

“Yeah,” The man said confrontationally, “Then, when it was over, your father left my father there to die in his own blood!” You could see the pure hatred burning in his eyes.

“That’s not the end of it!” Sora’s mother said, “My father was mortally wounded in the fight,” he voice then softened, “He died a few hours later...”

“Really?” The man asked, his gaze softening slightly.

“So violence got you nowhere except pain?” Shadow said insensitively, “No surprise there...”

Tochi slapped Shadow on the cheek, “I can see how much you hurt...” She said sympathetically, “But, don’t you see?” She turned to the man, “Her father was killed by yours, yet she doesn’t hold a grudge against you...Her father was only trying to protect his family.”

“That’s still no excuse!” The man said, “She must pay for my father’s death!”

“She’s not to blame,” Tochi said, “What if you killed her?” She said, “And what if her child then harbored a grudge against your children and stalked them?”

“That would never happen!” he said.

“Oh, it might,” Tochi said, “And even if her child didn’t stalk you and your children,” Her voice took on a more serious tone and her expression became much colder. She neared the man’s face and glared deeply into his eyes, “I would...” She said insidiously.

Whether it was the way she had said it, or the way she was looking into his eyes, something completely and utterly spooked the man. His eyes went wide and he began trembling. However, Tochi’s expression remained steadfast.

“No...” The man said weakly, unable to escape Tochi’s gaze, “NO!” He yelled, “I’m sorry, I’m sorry! Just please, leave me aloooooone!!” He began bowing profusely for Sora and her mother, “I won’t do it again! Just please!!” The man was so scared he was crying.

Sora’s mother sighed, then put her hand gently on the man’s head, “It’s okay...” she said gently.

The man rose his head from his tears and looked into Sora’s mother’s gentle, welcoming eyes. He then leaned onto her shoulder, crying once more. Sora’s mother rubber her fingers over the man’s buzzed hair, comforting him.

Shadow, however, was completely dumbfounded.

“Okay,” Shadow said the next morning in the Pokemon Center, “I just have to ask. How in the world did you scare that guy so badly. I mean, that routine doesn’t work that well on guys like that.”

“Yeah,” Larvitar said, “Even Shadow can’t scare people THAT badly.”

Tochi giggled, “That’s my little secret...”

“WHAT’S happened to my Weedle?” Kris asked Nurse Joy. They had found that Kris’s Weedle was not in the same state that it was when they had entered Violet.

“I’ve told you,” Nurse Joy said calmly, though her eyebrow was twitching slightly, “It evolved...”

Kris, still rather perplexed, held her new Kakuna in her hands. It’s new, motionless state seemed to have lessened the fear that she had towards insects. “What happened again?” She asked, tilting her head to one side. Nurse Joy facefaulted.

“Come on!” Shadow said, “Tell me how you did that!”

Tochi merely giggled in response as she left the Pokemon Center.

Next time: Chapter 10 (The ten mark...I've almost reached the threshold!) The Legend of the Unown.

Okay, in the next chapter, I steal a little from Dragon Warrior 7, but, how many of you have played THAT?

DannyBoy
3rd August 2003, 07:15 PM
That was a good chapter. That guy was freaky, good thing Weedle tied him up with its string shot, then it evolved at the pokemon center. I can't wit for it to become a Beedrill, I wonder if Kris will be scared or happy. Keep it up!

Kohdok
8th August 2003, 03:40 PM
I apologize for being rather slow when it comes to updating this. I just take a lot of time preparing things.

That, and I have a summer job...

So, Chapter 10 is almost finished. I'll have it posted soon.