PDA

View Full Version : Birthright

GeneChildMewtwo
21st July 2003, 11:17 PM
Well, I finally got around to posting my own fanfic. This is the first large fic attempt I've made before, so I constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. Although, I have some experience, so this isn't say the first thing I've ever written.

Anyway, here's what you came for.

Chapter 1 :
Again, for the first time.

Sean lay on his bed, his short pink hair being pushed back and forth gently by the cool breeze from the open window. It was hot this afternoon, but now at almost eleven-thirty in the evening, it was getting a little cold. Sean sat up and turned, placing his feet onto the floor. He looked out the window at the field of lights that dotted the Saffron City skyline.

“It’s getting a little cold,” Sean thought to himself as he stood up. He walked over to the window, and closed it quietly as not to awaken his sleeping friend. Sean turned his back to the window and looked around the room. The walls were white, and had yellow trim. The door was also yellow, and the floor was covered with white tiles with a diamond pattern. Sean’s eyes scanned the room taking in various familiar sites. First was his bed which was still made and had a yellow (although of a lighter color than the trim and the door.) bedspread covering the top. (The yellow motif was standard throughout the building. All of the students’ rooms were like this.) Next was the small wooden dresser which contained Sean’s clothes, and had some pictures of his sister and mother sitting on top of it. Then looking on past the computer desk his eyes stopped at the small bed across the room from his. This bed was about half the size of Sean’s and a little lower to the ground. On it was a small birdlike pokémon dreaming happily in its sleep. It was white and had red and blue triangular markings on its abdomen, although currently they were hidden under a small and also yellow blanket.

Sean smiled at his friend, “Maybe I should go to sleep too?” As Sean pondered this question in his mind a strange feeling suddenly came over him. It seemed very familiar, but he had never felt anything like it before…

“So, you’ve come?” A voice reached out from the mind of this well known woman across the roof to a figure cloaked in shadow. There was no response, but she knew her message had been heard. Sabrina turned around to face the mysterious figure. There was silence as Sabrina looked on. She was wearing her usual red dress and black pants, and her long dark purple hair, looking almost black in the dim moonlight, was flowing slightly in the night breeze.

“You had a purpose in calling me here. What do you want?” A deep psychic voice broke the mental silence. The voice came from the figure, but its body remained in the darkness.

“Something has been bothering me ever since that boy came here… He has something very different about him. He’s different from the other students here,” Sabrina continued the silent conversation. After she said this, she turned her gaze to the streets below. She watched as far below people we walking and driving around, completely oblivious to what was going on up here on the roof.

“Different?”

“His powers… They aren’t like the others, or even my own. His powers are more like that of a psychic pokémon than a psychic human. Although the end results are the same, the energy used by a psychic pokémon differs form that of a psychic human. It’s indistinguishable to normal people, but most experienced psychics can tell the difference even though it’s small,” Sabrina stopped for a second, watching the people below. She then turned back to her “friend” and continued, “But even between pokémon there’s a difference. But his powers don’t seem like that of any psychic pokémon I’ve seen either… Except for one.”

The figure could feel Sabrina’s gaze fix on him. He knew what she was going to say before she said it.

“Except for you.”

“Hey, Toby! Wake up!” Sean tried to get his friend to wake up by shoving him lightly and calling to him. The togetic stirred and opened his eyes. He looked up at Sean with an annoyed expression.

“What time is it?” Toby chirped in his own language. Oddly enough, Sean had no trouble understanding Toby’s speech. As for any other pokémon however, Sean just heard the same chirps and growls as everyone else. Toby looked over to the clock on the desk, which read 11:28 PM. “What are you doing still up this late!? Don’t you remember what happened last time? And you have class tomorrow you know…”

“Yeah, I know it’s supposed to be lights out at ten. But this is more important than that. There’s something here. Can’t you feel it?” Sean looked at his best friend, and only pokémon, with a serious expression.

“…I don’t really feel anything. Except tired,” Toby still didn’t seem convinced that it was anything worth losing sleep over, especially his sleep.

“I know there’s something… It’s up above us, and I’m gonna go check it out!” Sean then got up, and got his shoes, and began to put them on.

“You’re just asking for trouble you know. What are you going to do if Sabrina finds you sneaking around again? She was pretty bothered that you were breaking the rules last time. I’d hate to see her get angry…”

“Okay, so last time I didn’t have a good excuse. But the rules didn’t say anything about getting a midnight snack… But this is a whole lot bigger than that. Whatever’s up there is something or someone I’ve met before. I know it. I have to find out what’s up there,” Sean said in a determined tone as he turned and headed toward the exit.

“Fine, I’ll go with you. Just to make sure you don’t get in over your head.”

“You just don’t want to wake up tomorrow to find out you slept through the coolest thing ever,” Sean looked back to Toby with a grin. Toby then glided over to Sean as they prepared to leave. Toby, like most togetic, hover above the ground instead of walking or flying. Toby could fly if he so chose, but in a building there’s usually not enough room for that kind of thing.

After the two friends exited the room, Sean closed the door quietly, as not to alert others to their presence. The hallways were white as the rooms were, and had matching yellow trim. As this floor was designed as a dormitory area for students who had come to train here at the Saffron City Gym, but lived in other cities or regions. It’s understandable, as the Saffron Gym was one of the foremost places for psychic training across Japan. There was another psychic gym somewhere to the south west in the Hoenn region, but it was a lot smaller. Sean made sure to walk quietly down the dimly lit hall towards the stairs; he went as fast as he could while maintaining his silence, but his speed was limited. “Too bad I can’t float like Toby does,” Sean complained mentally to himself. Finally after passing about six other doors both of them reached the stars leading up to the next floor.

“You know… It’s not too late to go back and not get in trouble…” Toby quietly chirped, being (as usual) the voice of reason.

“I told you already. I have to know what’s up there. If it’s really someone I’ve seen before then they might be able to tell me about what happened that day…” Sean whispered in response. Even though he spoke quietly, his voice was filled with determination.

Toby now knew that this wasn’t just Sean going out because he was told not to. If there really was someone from his past, maybe Sean would finally know why he can’t remember anything from before that day six years ago. Well, Sean remembered things like who his family was, and all of the things that he learned in school and such. But he couldn’t remember any events that happened before that day. He knew that his mother was his mother, but had no memories of doing anything together with her. He remembered various things learned in school, but didn’t actually remember learning them. If there really was an answer as to why this happened, Toby knew that Sean would do anything to find it.

Sean took the first step as he and Toby began to ascend the stairs. After they climbed up the three flights of stairs, Toby spoke up.

“Sean, this is the top floor. Whoever it is has to be here,”

“No… It’s still higher. I think it’s on the roof.”

“But, the door to the roof is locked… How do you plan on-“ but before Toby could finish his statement, he was interrupted.

“Actually… The roof door isn’t locked. Someone must be up there.” Sean said as he turned the doorknob that lead to the stairs for the roof.

Toby didn’t have anything to say. It would be useless to mention that they would get into even more trouble if the were caught out after curfew and on the roof, since Sean wouldn’t care either way. So Toby just followed as Sean headed towards the roof.

InvisableKecleon
21st July 2003, 11:23 PM
Wow, this sounds spooky. I wonder why Sean has powers like a pokemon instead of a human with psychic powers. This is very intresting and I want to know whats on the roof. I bet Sabrina is going to meet up with him soon. Toby seems like a very careful person who worrys to much. I can't wait to find out what happens next!

DannyBoy
22nd July 2003, 12:37 AM
Ok, so far seems good. Sean has special powers that are like a pokemons not a humans. Then length is ok but could be longer. Description needs to be worked on a little bit. You did good at the end I must say. But its just the beginning and I think the plot is already told. I think its intresting with it being about humans being psychic and Sean is special for being like psychic pokemon. I will keep reading to see how it progresses. Keep it up!

GeneChildMewtwo
22nd July 2003, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to work on the description a bit more. Truthfully, I had to go back and describe things a bit more when I was originally writing that chapter... I tend to omit things that I can see in my mind, as I forget that the people reading have to be told what I'm thinking. ^_^;; I'll try and keep it in check. Also, the next chapter should be longer. I'm not sure when it will be finished however, since I'm taking summer classes I don't have a lot of free time. I'll work on it when I can, and hopefully chapter 2 will be up before the weekend.

As for the plot, what you know so far may seem like a big thing... but it's only a part of the whole. I can't really explain, since that would ruin the surprise. But don't worry, I haven't given away everything in the beginning.

Until next time. :wave:

Doomykins
23rd July 2003, 11:12 AM
This sounds preaty cool so far. I have an idea of who the pokemon on the roof is.

Just two things bugged me when reading this. When you're writing what someone is thinking, it's a good idea to put it in italics so that it can be distinguished(sp?) from speech.

ex. I wish I had brought a flashlight.

Also, with telepathic speech, you should put it into some kind of brackets to distinguish it from normal speech.

ex. <Do you really think you can take me on?>

Other than that it was great.

GeneChildMewtwo
26th July 2003, 12:35 AM
Doomykins: I wonder if your guess was right? Also, I've seen those formats used in other fics as well... But I wasn't sure if those were unofficial rules made by various authors, or actual english rules... So I didn't use them at first. I guess that seems somewhat silly. Either way, I've adopted them now, and I do agree that it makes it a bit easier to read. Thanks for the suggestion. ^_^

And to everyone else. Here's the next chapter... Although it more or less is the weekend now, so I'm a little later than I expected. Anyway, Enjoy!

Chapter 2:
Mysterious Confrontation

<That cannot be… There is only one other who has powers like mine. And it has since left our world.>

<I know it sounds strange Mewtwo, but I wouldn’t have asked you to come if I wasn’t absolutely sure. And as you stand here, I can verify that my judgment was not misleading me.> Sabrina looked over at the figure hidden in the darkness. Even though she has known Mewtwo for a few years now, he prefers to remain hidden. Although, it is not without reason for if someone caught sight of Mewtwo, then all kinds of problems would arise. Luckily the only people who know of his existence have kept their silence to this day.

<But… Why would a human develop such powers?>

<I’m not sure… But everything about Sean seems out of the ordinary,> Sabrina stopped, and quickly looked over to where the roof entrance was, <Someone’s coming.> Sabrina looked back to see that Mewtwo had already vanished. She could still feel his presence nearby, but for now he had completely hidden himself from view.

The door on the small shed like protrusion that lead back down into the building crept open slowly. Shortly after, a boy wearing a pair of khaki shorts and a white t-shirt slowly slid out form behind the door. He was looking around, but didn’t notice Sabrina in the darkness. The only place that was well lit on the roof was directly in front of the door. So, from there it would be harder to notice things in the darkness. The light from the fixture next to the door reflected off of the boy’s green eyes, which seemed focused on the place where Mewtwo was standing moments before. But the thing that stood out most to Sabrina was that familiar mop of pink hair that rested on the boy’s head. Of course, if anyone were to be sneaking up to the roof at night, it would be Sean. Despite his good performance during class and persistence in training, he always got into to trouble. He never really did anything bad per se, but he had trouble staying out of places he wasn’t supposed to be.

“Sean! What are you doing up here, especially this late at night?” Sabrina decided it was best to confront Sean before he might discover anything. That and of course his blatant disregard for the rules wasn’t doing any good either.

“M-Miss Sabrina!” Sean turned to face her immediately, with a very shocked expression on his face. You weren’t supposed to be here…Now I’m in for it!

“Busted…” Sean heard Toby chirp from behind him in a very I-told-you-so way.

“Well, I know I’m not supposed to be up here… or out of bed… But I have a good reason. Really!” Sean pleaded, hoping he could try to reason with the gym leader.

“…I’m not sure what I’m going to do about you,” Sabrina started, she had heard the “good reason” excuse a few times before, so she wasn’t really inclined to ease up.

“But there’s something up here! I had to come and see it!” Sean began to explain, “And it’s still here. I can feel it! Can’t you?”

No… That can’t be. Sean couldn’t possibly have felt Mewtwo from down there. Not even I can do that, Mewtwo camouflages himself too well. Sabrina stood for a moment in thought, then began to speak again, “What do you mean? There’s no one else here.”

Sean looked down in disappointment… That can’t possibly be right. I know it’s here. Sean then looked toward the direction in which he felt the source of this power belonged, “Show yourself! I know you’re there!”

“Sean there’s no one-“ But before Sabrina could finish, a deep telepathic voice fell upon the three of them.

<Are you sure that is what you want?>

“I didn’t come all this way to quit now,” Sean stated out with a newly refreshed sense of determination.

Sabrina stood without saying anything, vocally or mentally. She knew that if Mewtwo was willing to show himself to Sean, then she should probably trust Mewtwo’s judgment. And maybe this would shed some light on the mysteries that she had asked him about previously.

<However, you must tell no one of what you have seen. You must never speak of this to anyone as long as you live. If I find out you have not kept my secret… Then that time will be very short.>

Sean was taken aback by that statement. He hesitated, not sure what to do, but he knew had to know the truth... Sean, although he wasn’t completely sure about what he was getting into, made his decision, “I’ll keep your secret.” There was no going back now.

There was no response. Sean looked around, wondering where the one he spoke to was. Sean suddenly felt a surge of power behind him, and he turned around. Where once there was no one stood a strange humanoid figure. Although, on further examination, it wasn’t standing, but levitating almost half a foot off of the ground. Its body was gray, and generally the same shape as a human’s, with a purple area that led down from where its stomach would probably be and led out behind the creature into a massive tail. Its large, two toed feet sloped downward as the hung in the air from the creatures two rather large legs. Its chest had what appeared to be defined pectoral muscles, but they seemed to be like external chest plate, rather than muscles that were typical for humans. Its arms were smaller in proportion to its legs. They were a little thinner than what you would expect from a human of the same size, although the length was about the same. The hands however, only had three fingers, each ending with a round orb-like bulge. Its head was shaped similarly to an animal, and had somewhat of a feline shape to it. And it had two ears that pointed upward and back from its head. But the feature that stood out most was the creature’s purple eyes. Sean looked into them, and could feel a great power from within this creature.

“Who are you?” Sean asked, still taking in the sight of this mysterious creature that had appeared before him. Toby looked on too, but he wasn’t sure what to say. He hadn’t seen anything like this before either, and he was sure that it wouldn’t be a good idea to make this… thing angry.

<I am Mewtwo.>

“Are you a pokémon?” Sean wasn’t sure, if it wasn’t human, then it was probably a pokémon, unless it was some kind of extraterrestrial.

<You did not come all this way to ask me something such as that,> Mewtwo seemed to be very direct. He had no interest in small talk. <What did you come here for?>

“Have we met before? I know it seems silly, but you seem like someone I might have known… But yet I don’t remember you at all…”

<Until now I have never seen you before… But I have a question for you. How were you able to detect my presence?>

Sean wasn’t sure how to respond. He wasn’t really sure of why either. He just knew that he had done it. Sean tried to formulate a response, but he was distracted. He looked again at Mewtwo’s purple eyes… As if he could see something there that wasn’t apparent normally. Then something strange happened…

I’ve wanted to see you again.

Mewtwo heard someone call out to him, but from where he wasn’t sure. Then, he looked on as Sean suddenly dropped to his knees, reaching his hands out to stop the rest of his body as it came down toward the ground. There was suddenly a strong presence, but where had it come from? Toby rushed to Sean’s side, checking to see if he was okay. Sabrina also ran over to them, she looked worried as well.

“Why…? Why did you betray... Aaagh!” Sean cried out in pain. He wasn’t fully aware of what was going on, or what he was talking about. The only thing he knew was that he felt a multitude of emotions surging through him. Fear. Confusion. Uncertainty. It seemed that the world had melted away, and was replaced by images and sounds that he couldn’t place. It was as if thousands of people were yelling and moving about, all at once… It was too fast to make anything out. The images seemed to blur together and overlap. Then suddenly, Sean heard familiar voices calling to him through the chaos. It was Sabrina, and Toby as well. Then, the real world came back into view again. Sean just stayed on the ground for a second. He was breathing hard, and felt completely exhausted. He trembled a bit, but finally managed to look up at everyone, to show that he had regained his senses.

“Are you alright?” Sabrina asked him, now kneeling down next to him.

“I think so… But I’m scared… What just happened to me…?” Sean had never felt anything like this before… But the feeling then was completely different than the feeling he had got when Mewtwo had arrived. This one felt hostile.

“I’m not sure… But whatever it is, it’s gone for now. You should go back down to your room, and get some sleep. We can talk about it tomorrow, after you’ve gotten some rest.” Sabrina suggested.

Mewtwo wanted to respond, but wasn’t sure of what to say. Was he the one who had brought this upon that boy? That sound of that voice wouldn’t leave his mind… But where had it come from? It wasn’t from Sean… But of the only two other people who had ever seen him and still lived, one of them was here on this roof, and the other wasn’t psychic at all. Who else could be out there… Who else would know about me? Mewtwo wasn’t sure of what to make of it now, but he knew he had to find out what that voice was.

“Yeah, let’s go back for now. Things should be a bit better after you get some rest,” Toby advised. He watched as Sean was getting to his feet. Toby did his best to help Sean up, even though he was about half Sean’s size.

“Yeah, you’re right.” Sean responded to his friend. He then looked over to Sabrina; he wanted to apologize for coming up here against the rules… But he wasn’t sure if now was the time to bring that kind of thing up. “Good night,” was all he managed to say, and then he and Toby turned to go back down the stairs.

Sabrina watched as they went back into the building. The events that had just unfolded still surprised her. In all of her time studying and developing her psychic powers, she had never seen anything like this.

<He seems to be able to understand pokémon…> Mewtwo thought it was odd that there this human could understand the language of pokémon, but maybe it was due to his unique power. That, and he was fully aware that neither of them knew what had just occurred, so discussing it further would be futile for now.

Sabrina was thinking to herself, but Mewtwo’s voice brought her focus slightly back to him and the rooftop again. <No… He can only understand that pokémon. There’s an exceptionally strong bond between them. Why do you think he’s only got a normal-type partner while training in a gym for psychics? Normally it is required for a trainer’s pokémon to have psychic potential; otherwise they cannot train as efficiently together… Even if a pokémon can be taught a psychic technique from a machine… It’s not the same as having real psychic power.>

<I see…>

<I’m sorry, but I really should go. I need to make sure that Sean is okay.>

Mewtwo turned and looked up to the clear night sky. <I want to see Sean again. I want to know what power lies within him.> And, I want to know who it was that called out to me…

<I’m not sure if that’s safe… After what happened tonight… Either way, I have to go.> Sabrina looked to Mewtwo one last time before she turned to leave. Mewtwo looked back, and then his body lifted into the air, and he flew off into the darkness. He always left abruptly like that, so she was used to it. Not that she had much social experience either… But she at least tried to say “good bye” once in a while.

Sabrina turned and went to the stairs. On her way back to her own room, she stopped, and looked in at Sean’s room. Sean and Toby were appeared to be sleeping peacefully in their respective beds, but how peaceful were they after tonight? Sabrina hoped that things would become better… but after today, she was unsure of what to expect. Hopefully, tomorrow things would become a bit clearer.

DannyBoy
26th July 2003, 02:03 AM
That was a creepy but good chapter. Sean is starting to relize what he is cappable and sensing Mewtwo was a big one. I wonder who the voice was that called for Mewtwo. Maybe it is someone that knows Giovanni who is helping him. GOod chapter and Keep it up!

Darien Shields
2nd August 2003, 07:49 PM
Your writing style is excellent, and the plot is rather intrueging, although I don't think we really get the feel for the characters enough right now. If you had developed Sean's character a bit more before these scenes we'd be more "rooting" for him, but he seems a little melodramatic because of the disconnection. Still A Grade for a first try. *Yawns* Damn that High Max... I wasted 11 lives (accidentally continued) trying to kill him, but he just will not die... Maybe it's because I'm Zero. Oh sorry, I'm rambling about MMX6 now, when I should be talking about, umm... Your fic! Which is good! Keep it up. Cram in more gypsies.

GeneChildMewtwo
2nd August 2003, 08:43 PM
Sorry for not have Chapter 3 finished yet. I'm busy during the week, so I can only really work on the weekends. I hope to get it done either tonight or tomorrow if it's possible.

IloveX-TINA: Yeah, it does have a spooky feel to it. Originally I didn't think it was going to be this way, but when I actually wrote down the story and tried to lead into things... It just ended up that way.

Darien Shields: Thanks for the compliments. ^_^ I wonder if I should have developed Sean a bit more before hand, but when I originally started to write this I focused entirely on describing Sean and it didn't seem to go anywhere. I probably should have found a good median. Well, I know that future chapters (Including the next one) will provide a bit more about Sean.

And yes... High Max is EVIL, But wait until you get to Gate... He's worse than High Max if you're Zero. (I actually have yet to beat that boss as Zero >_<)

Gypsies?

Well, hopefully I'll be back soon. See you later!:wave:

GeneChildMewtwo
4th August 2003, 12:36 AM
Here you go. Chapter 3!

Chapter 3:
Invitation

The morning sunlight trickled in through the window, and crept along the covers of Sean’s bed. Sean slowly opened his eyes, and looked over at the clock. It was a little after six in the morning. He didn’t have to be awake until seven-thirty, since his class wasn’t until eight-thirty. Normally Sean would have just gone back to bed. He wasn’t the kind of person to get up earlier than he needed to, but last night’s events began to replay in his mind. Was it a dream? Did I really meet with such a strange pokémon? And Miss Sabrina didn’t even seem surprised that it was there… Did she know about it? Sean wasn’t sure what to make of last night. Had Sabrina known about this strange pokémon? But, you can’t really blame her for keeping him a secret… He didn’t sound like he was bluffing. And… What happened to me? Did that pokémon do it? All I remember is looking into his eyes, and then I was on the ground… Sean stood up from his bed; he was still wearing the same clothes from last night. Usually he changed into pajamas before going to sleep, but last night he was too exhausted to really care. Truthfully Sean didn’t really remember much of the trip back, just that he came back, and went to sleep.

“Hey, looks who’s up early for once,” A familiar voice chirped from cross the room, with a friendly bit of sarcasm.

“Weren’t you asleep a few minutes ago?” Sean responded playfully, “I guess you must be slipping huh? If I’m awake before you…”

Toby chuckled, “But really…” Toby’s voice became a bit more serious as he went on, “You were just kind of staring off into space…”

“…Did anything weird happen last night?” Sean asked, now looking towards Toby with a pensive expression. Sean didn’t really try to hide it, as Sean and Toby never kept secrets from each other.

“Well, if you mean about what happened on the roof-,” Toby didn’t get to finish before Sean interrupted.

“Yeah… So it wasn’t a dream after all,” Sean paused for a moment, and then began to walk toward his dresser. “Well, I might as well hit the showers now before everyone else wakes up,” Sean said as he gathered up some clean clothes, and other various shower related things. Since many students lived in the building, they had a shared shower area. So if you didn’t get there early, you’d have to wait in line for a spot, since there were a good amount more students than showers. After gathering his things, Sean left the room and walked off towards the showers.

“But, if humans worry so much about cleaning themselves… Why don’t they spend more time cleaning their rooms?” Toby said to himself as he floated over to his bed, and began to make it. Really, the room that Toby and Sean lived in was pretty clean, but that was mainly because Sean left most of his belongings in his actual room at his house. Sean did keep the room fairly clean, but sometimes he would forget to put away his clothes, and he rarely made his bed. His room at home was rather messy; Sean wasn’t the kind of person that believed in strict organization. That and generally most 14-year-olds don’t like to clean their room anyway.

Toby had looked around the room, making sure that everything was in order. Toby was kind of a neat freak, he liked to make sure things we cleaned, and put in their proper places, although, no one is really sure where Toby gets it from as he’s lived with Sean ever since he hatched. Toby had moved on to making Sean’s bed by this point when he heard a voice from the door.

“Does Sean always make you clean up after him?” A female voice asked in a somewhat surprised tone. Toby turned and looked towards the door to see a familiar girl from Sean’s class. She stood with a look of surprise, and possibly a little disappointment. Her arm was raised as to knock on the open door, but it seems that she must have been distracted before she actually accomplished this task. She had medium length purple hair, but unlike Sabrina’s the purple color was much more pronounced. Along with her hair, she had a matching pair or violet eyes. She was wearing the typical female student uniform. It consisted of a long sleeved dress shirt that had what appeared to be the Marsh Badge in the upper left corner of the chest area, although it was actually a patch that was affixed to all of the uniforms, not an actual badge. Along with the dress shirt was a long skirt that went down to her knees. The whole outfit was a yellow-tan kind of color. (As this was the Saffron City Gym, the uniforms, and the Gym itself had a yellow motif to them.)

Toby quickly tried to respond, but he remembered that humans other than Sean couldn’t understand him vocally. So, he stopped mid sentence, and tried again with telepathy. <It’s not that. I want it,> However, since Toby wasn’t a psychic type pokémon, he had a hard time getting his thoughts across telepathically. His messages often ended up sounding weird, as he had trouble converting his ideas into telepathic speech properly.

The girl looked at Toby, not really surprised that he was able to use telepathy after seeing what other things he and Sean could do during class. But the message’s odd sound did cause her to give kind of an odd look. “So, you’re cleaning up because you like to…?”

<Yes. Sean never asks it.> Toby tried his best to explain his situation. While Toby did do most of the cleaning, Sean didn’t take it for granted. Actually Sean’s been getting better about putting his stuff away so he doesn’t have to worry about Toby trying to clean up everything, but it’s hard to change one's habits completely. But it was certain that Sean never expected Toby to clean up after him. It’s just that Toby would do it of his own accord.

“Well, you guys must be really good friends… I guess I shouldn’t have thought that Sean would have ordered you around, he doesn’t really seem to be like that. But what I saw when I walked in wanted to tell me otherwise. I guess I jumped to conclusions,” The girl responded with a smile, “Speaking of Sean, do you know when he’ll be back?”

<Soon.> Toby figured that if he kept it simple, maybe he’s response would sound a bit better.

“Yukiko, I didn’t expect to see you here…” As if on cue, Sean had just returned. He was now dressed in his school uniform as well. It was basically the same as Yukiko’s, except in place of a skirt there were pants of a matching color. Sean was surprised to find one of the other students at his room, especially this early in the morning. But, if anyone were up this early, it would most likely be Yukiko, as she’s the number one student in Sean’s class, as well as the whole gym.

“Miss Sabrina asked me to get you. She wants to speak with you as soon as possible,” Yukiko had now turned to face Sean.

“Well, we could go right now, just let me drop off my stuff,” Sean responded, and then walked into to his room, and put last night’s clothes into the laundry basket. He set his bag with the rest of his things down on the floor next to the basket. “Okay, let’s go.”

Yukiko lead the way as Sean and Toby followed behind. Of course Sean knew that Sabrina’s office was on the fourth floor, with this floor being the third, and the second and first were for the Gym Arena. Actually the Arena was two floors tall itself, but there still was a second floor for the balconies above the Arena for people who wanted to see a battle from higher ground.

On their way down the hall, Yukiko finally broke the silence, “Excuse me for asking, but I was wondering about something…”

“What is it?” Sean wondered what she would want to ask him about. Hopefully it didn’t have to do with the reason why Sabrina wanted to speak with him. Although he figured that she probably thought that Sean had gotten into trouble again, which isn’t that far from the truth, but what happened last night was far different from any kind of “normal” trouble.

“I was wondering… You never seem to recall your pokémon…” As soon as she had finished the second part, Sean swiftly responded.

“I just don’t,” Sean stated it swiftly, as to hopefully strike down this subject of conversation before it went any further. Now, some people may think that Sean never recalls Toby because Toby is afraid of being in a pokéball or something similar. Now, while that kind of thing has been known to occur, it’s not the case here. Truthfully, Toby doesn’t mind being in a pokéball at all, but Sean never recalls Toby unless it is absolutely necessary, and even then Sean does his best to avoid it. It seems that whatever the reason is, it’s very personal, and Sean doesn’t like to talk about it.

Yukiko decided not to go any further with that topic as she had not expected Sean to be that defensive about it. For a while there was an awkward silence. After a few minutes of walking, they had reached Sabrina’s office, where she was waiting for them.
Yukiko knocked on the door, as she was still in the front of the group. Shortly after she heard Sabrina tell them to enter.

Sabrina was sitting at her desk where there was a small stack of paperwork neatly placed on one corner, next to some books that had been probably taken from the bookshelf along the right wall. Sabrina had quite a collection of various books about psychic people and pokémon, and psychic powers in general. When it came to psychic power, Sabrina was one of the most knowledgeable people in the country. Although even for her, there where many things that had yet to be discovered about this newly discovered phenomenon. (Although psychic powers have been said to have existed for centuries, only about 20 years ago was it scientifically accepted that said powers truly existed in humans.)

“Now that Sean is here, I should be leaving,” Yukiko had no intention staying around, as whatever Sabrina wanted to speak to Sean about was none of her business. Shortly after stating her intent, she left the room, closing the door behind her.

After the door closed, there was a second or two of silence, then Sabrina spoke up, “Last night, a few hours after what had happened, I had a strange premonition. I had a vision that you would be leaving this place… But I wasn’t sure why. It wasn’t very clear.”

“Leaving? But, I don’t have any reason to leave…” Sean was puzzled. Why would he have to leave? He wasn’t going to tell anyone about the events last night. Even if he did, who would believe him?

“Please, allow me to finish,” Sabrina continued her explanation, “I was walking by the mailroom this morning, on my way to check a few things in the gym arena, when I felt something. It reminded me of the vision I had had last night, so I went into the mailroom to check it out. It was odd, because there was a letter there. And I know the previous day all of the mail was picked up, so no mail that had been sent would arrive until the postman brought it later in the day. I went over to the letter, which seemed to be where this strange feeling emanated from. I’m not sure why, but this letter felt… Out of place, like it didn’t belong. I looked at the letter, and it was addressed to you. There was no return address given… I doubt it was from another student, but there’s no other way any mail from outside the building would be here this early.”

“A letter for me?” Sean seemed a little confused that it was so strange that someone had sent him a letter. I guess the only strange thing is that I actually got mail from someone…

“I’m not sure what the letter is about. It’s your letter, so I would not invade your privacy and read it on my own. But something doesn’t seem normal about it. However, I am no Seer. My psychic power may allow me to get a glimpse of the future, but there are people whose divination far exceeds my own. I think it may be a good idea to take that letter to the Ecruteak Gym Leader Morty, as he is a well renowned Seer. He should be able to determine why that letter carries such a strange aura,” Having said this, Sabrina then turned to a small drawer in her desk, which she opened and retrieved an envelope, presumably the letter, and handed it to Sean, “Here is the letter.”

“Is it safe for me to open it? If it gives you such a bad feeling, it might be a bad idea…” Sean hesitated a little. What if it wasn’t just a letter? People were known to send some bad things through the mail.

“I’m sure that it’s just a letter. I’m not worried about the contents as much as the one who brought the letter here, although what is written on it may bring us insight to the origins of its sender.”

“Well, then I guess I should find out what they have to say,” Sean said as he turned the letter around, and began to open it. After carefully opening the letter (Sean normally would be fine with ripping the envelope, but since this was a special letter, damaging it might be a bad idea.) he removed the paper, and unfolded it. There was no heading, just a small message in the middle of the letter. Sean read it aloud.

“If you are reading this, then you, Sean, are indeed the one I am looking for. I cannot say much now, but when the time comes I can explain. I’ll be sure to contact you again. Don’t lose your way.”

Sean looked at it, “How does this person know who I am? And why would people be looking for me?” Sean had said half to himself, and half to Sabrina, hoping she would give him an answer.

“I’m not sure what it means… But I would be careful. Hopefully Morty may be able to figure out what is behind this mysterious letter. You should head to Ecruteak as soon as you can. I’ll call ahead and let him know that you are coming with important business. But, I can’t let you go there by yourself, I’ll have Yukiko and Rudy go with you.”

After hearing the last part, Sean was somewhat relieved that he wouldn’t be traveling alone. Also, Rudy was probably his best (human) friend in the whole school, which is most likely why Sabrina chose him as one of the people to be Sean’s traveling partners. And although Sean didn’t know Yukiko that well, at least it wasn’t someone from a completely different class.

“I guess we should go and get ready to leave then,” Sean said, looking to Toby. Toby nodded in agreement.

“I’ll tell the others about what’s going on. We’ll make the final preparations here in thirty minutes,” Sabrina said, standing up from her desk.

“Okay, I’ll make sure to be ready by then,” Sean then turned to leave. He and Toby went back to their room to prepare for their trip. Sean was excited, although it wasn’t too far to Ecruteak, considering the Magnet Train ran between here and Goldenrod. But even so, it was still nice to get out of Saffron City once in a while. Although, what mysteries accompany that letter? Even with all the excitement about going, the lingering feeling of mystery and possible danger still loomed ahead on the path.

DannyBoy
4th August 2003, 12:49 AM
That was a good chapter, looks like things are getting more intresting. Sean is now going to see Morty. I wonder what will happen there. This keeps getting more and more intresting. Keep it up!

Shadowed Mewtwo
4th August 2003, 09:46 PM
Whee! Wonderful story! ^-^ About a boy with pink hair! I had an idea like that once. ;_; Is this kid related to any of the Nurse Joys? :P

Grr to you for writing a fic with Mewtwo in it! GR! Now I hafta read the fic forever until it's done! ^^;; And also, it's really REALLY hard for me to say bad things about Mewtwo fics! Nasty situations, reading Mewtwo fics. Usually I say nothing and just let the story envelope me... *sighs* Mewtwo...

*shakes head* Ergh, I gotta critique this anyway, hrm? Okay then... interesting plot... nice and original... well written... good characters... very nice! ^^ The only thing I have to complain about at all is the way you change from past tense to present tense in ways that make reading this occassionally awkward. Other than that, great! :D

GeneChildMewtwo
5th August 2003, 12:05 AM
IloveX-TINA: I'm glad you're still enjoying it. ^_^ As for what happens with Morty... You'll have to wait and see.

Shadowed Mewtwo: Whee! You read it! ^_^ I'm glad that you think I'm doing well, I was afraid I'd do badly at first... Although really, It was you who motivated me to finally write and post this. So, umm... Thanks and stuff. ^_^ Although, I wasn't aware that I was mangling tenses. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Although, I tend to actually say things awkwardly in real life sometimes, so that may end up slipping into my writing.
About the Nurse Joy thing... Darien asked me that too... And actually, it will come up in the story (I knew that people would think that) but for the record, there's no relation. Although, in my head it is the same shade of pink, so you are right to make that comparison :yes:

As for chapter 4, It will probably be put up on the weekend again, since I have school. But having a week between each chapter does give me time to plan and think about what I want to do. And hopefully gives you guys more time to do... something else I guess. ^_^

Thanks for reading. Until next time! :wave:

Doomykins
5th August 2003, 10:37 PM
Sorry I didn't reply earlier but... Yes! I knew it had to be MewTwo! Who else could it be? So far this is turning out good. I really hope you'r able to finish the fic. Good luck.

GeneChildMewtwo
8th September 2003, 04:37 PM
Okay, so I'm really late with this... but better late than never, right? I really don't want to just abandon this story. I have a lot of ideas for it, it's just a matter of getting there. Hopefully my massive delay didn't cause VoTM to eat everyone's food as she promised. Then there wouldn't be any more cookies.

Chapter 4:
The first step is usually the most difficult

Sean had packed his rather large backpack with various travel related things. They were only going to Ecruteak City and back, but while it takes only 30 minutes to get to Goldenrod from Saffron on the Magnet Train, it takes about two days to get from Goldenrod to Ecruteak on foot. Of course, to any journeying Pokémon Trainer, that’s not long at all. But, since Sean spent most of his time training at the Saffron Gym the next four or five days would be a nice break from the normal goings on, not that anything had been normal for him in the last 12 hours.

“I think I’ve got everything we’ll need. Clothes, Sleeping bags, Food… I don’t think there’s too much else,” Sean stated, waiting for confirmation from his feathered friend.

“I think that’s it. But, you might want to bring some extra pokéballs… Incase we run into someone interesting along the way,” Toby suggested. Toby was Sean’s only pokémon after all. Most of the other students had a few pokémon, 3 or 4, and some had even more than that, but since they didn’t get out too often most of the students had rather small collections.

“So, I’m not a good enough friend for you?” Sean said with playful sarcasm. “But… I guess you’re right. It might be better for both of us to have another friend or two around. I guess since this is the first time I’ve really gone out like this in a long time… I never really thought about it,” Sean was a bit more serious with the second part.

“Well, I thought that Pokémon Trainers were supposed to catch new pokémon, right? Although, I don’t think it’s a good idea to go catching a whole bunch you’ll never spend time with… I wouldn’t like to live in a situation like that…”

“I wonder how wild pokémon feel about being captured… I guess if they didn’t like it, there wouldn’t be so many trainers out there.” Sean sat down on his bed, fiddling with one of the small empty pokéballs between his fingers.

“I’ve never been wild… I’ve always lived with you, so I guess I’m probably a little biased. Well, I guess we’ll have to find out. It couldn’t hurt to ask one… I hope.” Toby also was thinking about what Sean had said. Although, Toby knew Sean very well, and was sure that any pokémon that Sean was caring for would be treated very nicely. Sean had never let him down before, so why would it be different for anyone else? Toby looked around, not sure how to continue the conversation, when he noticed the clock, “Uh-oh, we’re almost out of time! We’d better get back to Sabrina’s office.”

Sean quickly placed the pokéballs in their designated pocket, and zipped up his backpack. Then he stepped forward, in front of his backpack. The backpack began to float up into the air, and positioned itself at about the height it would be if Sean were to be wearing it. Sean then put his arms through the pack’s straps. Shortly after this, the backpack seemed to drop down just a little, as its weight was no longer supported by telekinesis, but Sean’s shoulders. “Let’s get going,” Sean suggested as he headed toward the hall.

Sean and Toby got to Sabrina’s office with about two minutes to spare. Yukiko was already there, although now accompanied by her own backpack presumably full of traveling gear. Rudy hadn’t arrived yet. He was probably going to be late, as usual.

“Hello again,” Yukiko greeted Sean with a smile. “I guess we’ll be traveling partners for a few days.”

“Yeah, I hope it’s not hard to put up with us for that long,” Sean said, with a mixture embarrassment and the feeling that it was because of him that Yukiko had to go along.

“Don’t worry about it, you two aren’t the ones I’m worried about,” Yukiko replied, looking down the hall to the direction that Rudy should be coming from any minute now. “And truthfully, I’ve never been to Ecruteak, so I’m looking forward to seeing it. I heard it’s a very beautiful place.”

“You’re from Kanto, right? I’m from Cherrygrove city in Johto. I’ve been to Ecruteak once with my family, but it was a few years ago.”

“Really, that’s where you’re from? It must be nice to live in a small town like Cherrygrove… I came here from Celadon City, so being here in Saffron isn’t much different,” Yukiko looked back to Sean, “It’s much more peaceful outside of the big city, isn’t it?”

“Well, it is more peaceful… But sometimes, there’s not a whole lot to do there. But after living in Saffron for the last two years, I guess I do miss it a little,” Sean answered, then looked up to the clock on the nearby wall. “Rudy still isn’t here…”

“He’s always late to class, so I don’t see why you’re so surprised.”

“He isn’t always late,” Sean said in defense of his friend. “Just most of the time…” Sean said the second part a bit faster, and a bit quieter, in a kind of “this isn’t important” way. “But, I figured he’d jump on the opportunity to be away from class for a few days.”

Shortly after Sean had finished his sentence, His attention was drawn to the sound of someone running quickly down the hall toward them. Quick footsteps could be heard coming toward the corner of the hall, and shortly after a boy about Sean’s height (Sean was just a little shorter) with short, bright red hair came running around the corner, and down the hall towards Sean and the rest of the group. He also had a backpack, and was wearing the same school uniform as Sean. After the boy reached the rest of the group, he came to a stop. He was breathing pretty hard, like he ran all the way here from his room on the other side of the building.

“It’s difficult to get ready for a trip on such short notice,” The boy paused for a second, still catching his breath. “I had to run all the way here to get here as quick as I did!”

That’s Rudy all right. He was known to often run to class to make it on time, although usually he was still a little late.

“Miss Sabrina is waiting for us. Let’s go,” Yukiko lead the way as the four of them entered Sabrina’s office.

Sabrina sat at her desk; she looked at the group as they entered. She had been expecting them. Once the four had entered, Sabrina stood up and began to speak. “I’m sorry to make you run an errand like this on such short notice, but as I told the three of you previously, it’s imperative that this letter is delivered to Morty as soon as possible,” When she said this, she walked over and handed an envelope to Sean.

Sean took the envelope, and put it into his backpack. I guess she can’t just tell everyone what happened… But this has nothing to do with last night, does it?

“I’m busy with the duties here at the Gym,” Sabrina continued her explanation, “So I can’t go there myself at the moment.” Sabrina walked back to her desk, and grabbed what appeared to be three small cards from it. “Here are your rail passes,” Sabrina handed each of the human students a pass. Sabrina looked over the three of them; she saw that they all had packed as they were asked to, “It looks like you have all of your other preparations finished already.”

“We’re all ready to go,” Rudy stated. The rest if the group nodded in agreement.

“It’s time to go then. I’ll see you in a few days,” Sabrina said this, now officially beginning the group’s miniature journey.

“Goodbye, Miss Sabrina! See you when we get back,” the whole group said in unison. Then they turned and began to leave.

<Sean, one last thing: The envelope I gave you contains a message explaining everything to Morty. I’m sorry, but for now we can’t tell anyone else about this…> Sabrina’s voice called to Sean’s mind. Apparently this was something that wasn’t meant to be talked about for now.

<I understand.> Sean replied mentally, and followed the rest of the group out.

The group made their way out of the Saffron City Gym, and made their way toward the train station. It was a nice sunny day, and very few clouds floated overhead in the azure sky. Rudy was walking at the front of the group now, with Sean and Toby following close behind. Yukiko was in the rear, looking around at various things while the two boys chatted to each other.

“It’s really nice out today. Hopefully, it’ll still be like this when we get to Goldenrod,” Rudy said, looking ahead towards their destination.

“Yeah,” Sean stated along with Toby, who also chirped in agreement.

“Too bad we won’t have any time to look around Goldenrod,” Rudy continued, “I heard that there are all kinds of things to do there.”

“We’re not on vacation you know,” Yukiko stated matter-of-factly.

“Just because Sabrina’s not here doesn’t mean you have to fill in. You can’t be so serious all the time, right Sean?” Rudy retorted, he hoped for Sean to back him up.

“Well, she does have a point…” Sean responded.

“You’re taking her side? I guess I should have expected that from the top two students in class…” Rudy said, disappointed.

“Well, if you were a bit more serious sometimes, maybe you’d be doing a bit better,” Yukiko remarked.

“I really hope they won’t do this the whole trip,” Toby chirped in annoyance.

“Yeah… I agree.” Sean replied to his pokémon friend.

“That’s not fair, both of you ganging up on me!” Rudy was pretty aggravated now. It seemed he thought Sean was agreeing with Yukiko.

“Wait a second, I wasn’t talking to you…” Sean tried to defend himself, “I mean, I was agreeing with Toby.”

“Yeah, well what was he saying about me?”

“That you two should stop arguing…” Sean explained, then he noticed that they had arrived at their destination, “Hey look, there’s the train station!” Sean hoped that he could change the subject, and maybe stop this before it got any worse.

From that point, no one really said anything for a while. Sean was actually a little surprised since he never really argued with Rudy. But, Yukiko is a bit more strict and serious than Rudy, or Sean as well. Sean was pretty serious when it came to his psychic training, but he had a desire for adventure that sometimes got him into trouble. Maybe that’s why he and Rudy get along so well. As for Yukiko, Sean didn’t really know a lot about her, except that she was the top student in his class. They got along fine during class, but never really talked to each other that much outside of class. It seemed that Yukiko was always busy, either doing extra training, or various things for Sabrina. She must be really devoted.

The four of them finally boarded the train for Goldenrod. Sean sat next to Toby, watching the scenery go by from the window. Rudy sat in the seat behind him, and Yukiko in the seat ahead. Sean hoped that things would have cooled down by the time they got to Goldenrod. What a way to start things off…

GeneChildMewtwo
11th October 2003, 03:43 PM
Well, here's the next chapter. No one replied to chapter four. But, it's okay. I'll keep posting chapters as I finish them. Even if I'm a bit slow. ^_^;;

Also, just so I don't get questions about it later. This fic takes place in Japan, so it's assumed that everyone is speaking Japanese. So the comment Rudy makes later makes sense, if viewed in that context.

Anyway, here you go.

Chapter 5:
The winds blow on the path to uncertainty.

Who was the one who called out to me? And what is their connection to that boy? I have to know… That voice sounds so familiar, and yet… Mewtwo played back that scene in his mind over and over. That mysterious voice… Did it come from that child? He still didn’t completely understand what had occurred at that moment, but surely he would have to investigate it further. They said that they wanted to see me again… They have met with me before? No matter how many times Mewtwo went over it, he couldn’t remember anyone like that.

The world passed unknowingly by below him as he flew off into the distance. High above the clouds, he looked down at the various structures that dotted the landscape. Some man made, other born from nature. Mewtwo’s gaze turned back toward his destination. I will have to confront that boy again. There is no other way to find out who’s voice that was. But, what will happen to him? Although Mewtwo knew what he had to do, an uncertainness filled him. When it came down to it, what would he have to do? This question gripped on tightly, but did not stop Mewtwo’s advancement toward Sean’s location. Although Mewtwo wasn’t exactly sure where Sean was right now, he did know where Sean was headed, and should be able to find him. The path Sean would take was fairly obvious.

“It sure is nice to be able to lie on the clouds and watch the grass go by,” Sean stated, and sure enough he that’s what he was doing. The sun shone down on him from somewhere, although it didn’t seem to come from any specific place. “Wait a moment, that’s not right…”

“Well, that’s how it is. You looking up at the grass, from down here on the clouds,” A female voice replied. It wasn’t anyone Sean was familiar with however.

“Who are you? And what are you doing here? What am I doing here for that matter?” Sean questioned the person sitting next to him, the one who that voice belonged to.

The girl smiled. She was wearing a white dress, and had long hair, the same pink color as Sean’s. But, it was odd… It seemed that the details beyond that were hard to make out. Everything around them seemed somewhat blurry, somewhat far away. She opened her mouth, and began to answer.

“Sean!”

“Sean!” The voice began to change. It wasn’t that girl’s voice anymore.

“Sean, Wake up! We’re at the station!” It was actually Toby, whose voice could now be clearly made out and sounded distinctly different. Not to mention he spoke a completely different language than any human would. Of course Sean didn’t really seem to differentiate anymore. Toby’s speech sounded just as human to him as everyone else’s, since he could understand it.

“Hmm?” Sean opened his eyes, and looked around. Apparently he fell asleep on the train ride there. Then again, he didn’t get a whole lot of sleep the night before, and no one was talking or anything.

“Come on, you don’t want to ride back to Kanto do you?” Rudy joked, he walked forward to the seats where Sean and Toby were.

Sean stood up, and then got his backpack from the overhead compartment and put it on. “Maybe if I did, I could get a little more sleep,” Sean replied with a smile.

“We should get going, we still have a long way to go,” Yukiko brought the conversation back to the matter at hand.

“Okay, let’s get going,” Sean replied, and began to walk toward the exit.

The four of them exited the train station, and were standing in the middle of the sprawling Goldenrod City. Being that Sean was the one most familiar with Goldenrod and the surrounding areas; he naturally took the lead position as he knew his way around the main parts of the city. “This road will lead us to the main street that goes through the middle of town. Ecruteak is that way,” Sean pointed down the road, towards a gate a good distance away, “We should be able to just follow this path through the gate and out of town, then keep going until we get to the National Park. We should be able to make it there before it gets too late. And I’m pretty sure we can set up camp there.”

“Well, you’ve got point, fearless leader,” Rudy stated with a smile.

“I wonder what kind of Pokémon live out there,” Yukiko stated, somewhat hoping that their indirectly appointed tour guide might have an answer.

“Well… I haven’t really been here in a long time… Probably just some Caterpies and Weedles and stuff,” Sean replied. “Are you looking for something specific?”

“Not really. I just figured that we’ll more likely than not run into some Pokémon while we were here. I just hoped I’d get to see some that aren’t in Kanto,” Yukiko looked over to the gate, the group was getting closer to edge of the city.

“Well, I spent some time in the Hoenn region, and they have some weird stuff there… But, I haven’t really seen that much in the Johto region either,” Rudy stated, “But the Pokémon here are way different than the ones back home.”

“You’re American, right?” Yukiko looked over to Rudy, “It’s a long way to come here just to train at the Saffron Gym.”

“Well, my dad works on the S.S Anne. It sails all around the world. That and my dad knows Sean’s parents, so that’s why I ended up training here. Sean’s place was the only place I could really stay during breaks, with my dad being gone all the time. That’s how Sean and I got to know each other,” Rudy explained, “Although, there’s still a lot of places in Johto that neither of us have been to.”

“It just so happens that the next upcoming break, Rudy’s dad is going to be on break as well, so we’re going to go back to Rudy’s house in America for a few weeks. I’m really looking forward to it!” Sean added in excitedly.

“Too bad you aren’t as good with English as you are with Pokémon, eh?” Rudy teased.

“Hey! It’s not that bad…” Sean tried to think of a good response, but he didn’t have one.

“Hey Sean, they’re not arguing anymore… I wonder how long that will last,” Toby chimed in. It’s kind of hard to be part of the conversation when only one member of the group can understand you.

<Shh! You’ll ruin the moment,> Sean smiled back at Toby. He had responded telepathically, as to make sure to avoid any misunderstandings like earlier.

“So, how come you don’t have any Pokémon from America with you?” Yukiko asked Rudy. She was very interested in seeing what Pokémon from a foreign country would be like.

“Well, when I moved to Japan, it was just a little before I was 10, so I wasn’t legally able to train any Pokémon. So, I couldn’t have had any to bring with me at the time,” Rudy had finished his explanation when the group had reached the gate.

The four of them went through the small checkpoint building, and came out on Route 35, which stretched off into the distance.

“Well, why don’t we let out all of our Pokémon, It’s been a while since they’ve had a chance to have a nice walk,” Yukiko suggested. She then released two Pokémon from their balls attached to her belt. “Come out, Espeon! Staryu!”

“Good idea. Let’s go, Chimecho! Hoppip!” Rudy followed suit, and released his Pokémon.

Four swirling masses of white light appeared form their respective Pokéballs. Each pair of lights flung themselves down before their trainers, and began to take shape. In front of Yukiko the shape of a four-legged purple cat like creature appeared, and next to it a tan star-shaped creature appeared. In front of Rudy, two round shapes appeared. One of which levitated in the air, and from its body hung a long flat tail like appendage. The second was on the ground, and it had what appeared to be two big leaves sprouting from the top of its head.

“I didn’t know you had a Staryu… But I guess you probably never see my Hoppip during class either,” Rudy stated. He looked over the two Pokemon that Yukiko had called out.

“Well, when Staryu evolves, it becomes a Psychic type. I’m not sure if the same can’t be said for your Hoppip however…” Yukiko also was looking over the small grass type. She hadn’t seen anything like it in Kanto. She also looked over Chimecho, Yukiko knew about Chimecho since Rudy used it in class. Not to mention all the extra studying she did on various Psychic Pokémon

“Just because I’m a Psychic doesn’t mean every Pokémon I train has to be Psychic too. Hoppip was my first Pokémon I caught on my own, it’s very special to me. Although… It didn’t miraculously gain psychic powers like a certain Pokémon I know.” Rudy said, looking over to Sean and Toby. Rudy then knelt down and picked up Hoppip into his arms. “It’s okay though, ‘cause I like Hoppip just it way it is!”

“I guess I lucked out. My first Pokémon was an Eevee, although now it has become the fine Espeon you see before you.” Yukiko explained, but then Sean was the next to speak.

“Well, we should get going, we can talk on the way… But if we take too long it’ll be dark before we reach National Park.” Sean stated matter-of-factly. Sean was eager to get going, as he wanted to know what Morty would have to say about that letter.

“Well then, Let’s go!” Rudy shouted and took off towards their destination. Sean, Yukiko and their Pokémon quickly followed after him.