PDA

View Full Version : A Brief Exercise in Braggadocio [one-shot]

Weasel Overlord
2nd February 2008, 04:39 PM
Some people may remember Sirius and Adair from one of my other one-shots, One Bad Week (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16463). They're back! We had an assignment in Creative Writing that had to be entirely dialogue apart from a couple of paragraphs, and we weren't allowed to use conversation markers (like he said, she said, etc.). Since I'd ideally like to get as much Sirius and Adair stuff as I can into my portfolio, any feedback would be immensely valuable to me. Thankya!

Oh, the story behind this is Sirius and Adair's first meeting. They're trying to out-brag each other, in case anyone's wondering. And no, none of the stories they tell are actually true, lol! They're a pair of massive liars.

A Brief Exercise in Braggadocio

Sirius fir Sterrl de Famfræn has a set of very strange ideas about piracy. Mainly, that it is an honourable profession, and that sky pirates and swashbucklers are simply the damned coolest buccaneers to roam the fair skies of Telone.

At the ripe age of eighteen, he loses no time at all after purchasing his very own airship, the Wolfstar, in extolling the virtues of his new life, his airship and his manhood to all and sundry; to anyone who will listen and not to mention to passers-by, and to those who had just stepped in the Sandsea for a quiet drink on a Friday night.

The first person he irritates does nothing but depart to a different side of the room, and the second merely leaves, slamming the door behind him. But it is with the third that we are concerned - one Adair Stroud, whose normally extensive temper has worn very thin indeed.

“Excuse me?”

“Hmm?”

“You just spilled your entire pint down my clean shirt!”

“Oh my good man, I apologise! I expect you can easily replace such bad quality silk though, yes?”

“Bad quality? I’ll have you know I am a hardened criminal!”

“Is that right? Well, even hardened criminals should take care of their appearance; and, frankly sir, yours leaves something to be desired. That dirty colour of your trousers…why, it’s more befitting of a pig farmer than a hardened criminal.”

“Oho, pig farmer is it? And just who do you think you are?”

“I, sir, am Sirius fir Sterrl de Famfræn!”

“Ah, the disinherited son! I’ve heard about you.”

“Have you now? And just what have you heard, Mr. Hardened Criminal?”

“That you’re nothing but a stuck up rich boy run away from home who steals money from his doting parents in order to grub around with the commoners on the docks. Least, that’s what I’ve heard.”

“Oh, that’s not true at all! I’m actually a murderer.”

“A murderer, you say? How scandalous!”

“Indeed! It was my mother, you know. And then father saw, and the whole sorry mess got rather out of control.”

“I know how it goes Sirius my man. Only last week I was escaping from a bank, my sword between my teeth and nothing but a sack of gil and a belt protecting my nethers, on the run from the law who were stupid enough to get in my way. The bodies didn’t half make a mess, I tell you.”

“I sympathise my good man. I completely sympathise. I had to enlist the help of at least seven servants to help me get rid of the evidence, and then I had to kill them as well! It’s like a never-ending cycle!”

“True, too true. In fact, I remember the time when I crash-landed a supply-airship into a highly populated village - must have killed at least seventy, now that was an affair.”

“I expect it was. After I’d got rid of the servants who helped me get rid of the first lot of evidence, I just had to find a way to get rid of the new lot of evidence and it all became rather a lot to handle on my own, but a man must improvise with what he has to hand, and regrettably, all I had to hand was a couple of chaos bombs and a Caldera launcher. The explosions were quite pretty, I’ll give you that.”

“You know, I think I may have seen them when I was high-tailing it down a rope from the law. They sure are persistent, you know. Although…I suppose when you’ve just swindled the chief senator of Telone, shagged his women, stolen his gil and killed his favourite minstrel, they kinda have to be. In fact…I really shouldn’t be in a public place right now…”

“Why’s that?”

“Well, I only ran in here to get away from the law…”

“Oh, excellent! I could use a man like you! What did you say your name was?”

“I didn’t, but it’s Stroud. Adair Stroud. Oh shit! I think we’d better scarper, Sirius my man!”

Adair is shocked but not really very surprised to see a pair of Senatorial Guard complete with gleaming breastplates elbowing their way through the crowd in the Sandsea with very determined looks upon their faces. He grabs Sirius by the arm and sets off running.

“What do you say to a job aboard my airship? I’ll split any loot seventy-thirty? Not to mention it’s a quick getaway for such a hardened criminal as yourself!”

“Sixty-forty! And I get any women we happen to pillage on the way!”

“Sixty-forty and you get any women after I’ve chosen mine!”

“Sounds like a deal! Now let’s get the hell out of here captain!”

mr_pikachu
2nd February 2008, 05:04 PM
*chuckles* Those two are quite the characters, aren't they?

I must say, you did an excellent job with the assignment. I only read the introduction after reading the first half of the piece itself, and I had to go back to see if there were any "______ said" indicators. Hadn't even realized it until I saw that, so good job with the distinct characterization. You also did a good job planning the escalation, as the increasing tall tales were rather clear (although it wouldn't have been quite as obvious that they were lies had you not said so in your preface).

Adair, though, was a bit of a difficult character to read at times, particularly since his mood seemed to change hastily. One moment he's a "hardened criminal" who's furious about a beer drenching; the next, he's chatting freely with "Sirius my man," and a minute later he's negotiating terms with his impromptu business partner. That transition seemed a little rushed. It was also a little unclear how a man who seemed to be pretty boorish was able to use words like "scandalous" and "disinherited." (Keep in mind, I don't have the benefit of reading "One Bad Week, so if Adair's different I wouldn't know.) Further, it wasn't really clear why or how Sirius was "upsetting" those other people. Until you mentioned that he soaked Adair, I assumed that he talked them to death, but now it seems like there might have been a missed opportunity for character-building description. Just a thought.

But still, this was a highly engaging read. The witty repartee between Sirius and Adair was simple to follow and entertaining to envision, which made the question of truth oddly irrelevant. Adair's final blow was especially powerful, as it implied a sort of "you look like ants from up here!" reference to Sirius' description of massive explosions. It's actually quite funny that Adair won the back-and-forth when you consider that his (supposed) killings were only the consequence of his other misdeeds. Maybe he's the more sophisticated and creative one when compared to the one-track mind of Sirius? Curious criminals. Anyway, good job overall. Very enjoyable short!

Weasel Overlord
2nd February 2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks Mr.P! (I've just edited a link to One Bad Week into the OP, so if anyone wants to read it, feel free ^_^)

I see what you mean about the development, actually. I think I definitely need to slow the pace down a little bit. When I go back to it, I'll give it a good edit over, cos I got a bloody tiny little amount of critique from my class, which is VERY annoying, since the course puts loads of emphasis on peer critiquing.

I have a question, actually. One of the main things my class said was that words like "shit", "pint" and "shagged" didn't fit with the tone of the piece, or that they didn't seem to fit with the time period. Thing is, it's a futuristic setting cos of all the airships and stuff, although since there's not much emphasis on that, I can imagine that they'd not realise. I'm not sure whether I can take them out without detracting from Sirius and Adair's characters overall. Cos they're the types to swear like fishwives. So I dunno, what do you think? Take them out, replace them with something else, or leave them? I'm totally undecided.

mr_pikachu
2nd February 2008, 05:51 PM
Hmm, good question. I think it would help that if you extended this out a little, to be honest. Here's where they're probably having a mental hiccup:

Airships: Final Fantasy X. No swearing.
Airships and Taverns: Final Fantasy VII. Copious swearing.
Airships, Taverns, and Sky Pirates: Final Fantasy XII. No swearing.

See, the concept of "sky pirates" has become inextricably tied with Final Fantasy XII (at least in my opinion), which has certain connotations and expectations. If you're going to break those expectations, you need to provide enough material so that it doesn't look out of character to do so. That's what I think, anyway.

Lady Vulpix
2nd February 2008, 07:40 PM
Interesting excercise. And it came out quite well! It was always clear who was speaking, and also that the 2 were lying through their teeth (I hope I got the expression right). But they do have a pirate's attitude of working for whoever they find convenient at the time.

Crystalmaster Mike
5th February 2008, 01:36 PM
Ah, now if that isn't a match made in heaven!

These two characters... They're worth their own column in the paper, if you ask me! An entertaining read, and a good laugh!

Well, since I had the opportunity to read the original, I could imagine the settings better, but even so, I look forward for more! Keep it up!

Weasel Overlord
5th February 2008, 02:35 PM
Aw thanks, you guys! Lovely comments like that make my day. ^_^ Anyway, I wanted to say that I've done an edit, taking into account what Mr. P said (although not about the swearing, it's too much a part of the characters, I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of it). I think I managed to flesh it out a bit more, and make the conversation at the end work better. But yeah, here it is. ^_^ I was gonna edit it into the first post, but it'll be easier to see the differences if I just straight out post it again, I think.

A Brief Exercise in Braggadocio

Sirius fir Sterrl de Famfræn has a set of very strange ideas about piracy. Mainly, that it is an honourable profession, and that sky pirates and swashbucklers are simply the damned coolest buccaneers to roam the fair skies of Telone.

At the ripe age of eighteen, he loses no time at all after purchasing his very own airship, the Wolfstar, in extolling the virtues of his new life, his airship and his manhood to all and sundry; to anyone who will listen and not to mention to passers-by, and to those who had just stepped in the Sandsea for a quiet drink on a Friday night. He sloshes his drink about, shouts, guffaws and quaffs, much to the chagrin of all around him.

The first person he irritates does nothing but depart to a different side of the room, and the second merely leaves, slamming the door behind him. But it is with the third that we are concerned - one Adair Stroud, whose normally extensive temper has worn very thin indeed.

“Excuse me?”

“Hmm?”

“You just spilled your entire pint down my clean shirt!”

“Oh my good man, I do apologise! I expect you can easily replace such bad quality silk though, yes?”

“Bad quality? I’ll have you know I am a hardened criminal!”

“Is that right? Well, even hardened criminals should take care of their appearance; and, frankly sir, yours leaves something to be desired. That dirty colour of your trousers…why, it’s more befitting of a pig farmer than a hardened criminal.”

“Oho, pig farmer is it? And just who do you think you are?”

“I, sir, am Sirius fir Sterrl de Famfræn!”

“Ah, the disinherited son! I’ve heard about you.”

“Have you now? And just what have you heard, Mr. Hardened Criminal?”

“That you’re nothing but a stuck up rich boy run away from home who steals money from his doting parents in order to grub around with the commoners on the docks. Least, that’s what I’ve heard.”

“Oh, that’s not true at all! I’m actually a murderer.”

“A murderer, you say? You’re beginning to sound more like my sort of person by the second!”

“Indeed! It was my mother, you know. And then father saw, and the whole sorry mess got rather out of control.”

“I know how it goes Sirius my man. Only last week I was escaping from a bank, my sword between my teeth and nothing but a sack of gil and a belt protecting my nethers, on the run from the law who were stupid enough to get in my way. The bodies didn’t half make a mess, I tell you.”

“I sympathise my good man. I completely sympathise. I had to enlist the help of at least seven servants to help me get rid of the evidence, and then I had to kill them as well! It’s like a never-ending cycle!”

“True, too true. In fact, I remember the time when I crash-landed a supply-airship into a highly populated village - must have killed at least seventy, now that was an affair.”

“I expect it was. After I’d got rid of the servants who helped me get rid of the first evidence, I just had to find a way to get rid of the new evidence and it all became rather a lot to handle on my own, but a man must improvise with what he has to hand, and regrettably, all I had to hand was a couple of chaos bombs and a Caldera launcher. The explosions were quite pretty, I’ll give you that.”

“You know, I think I may have seen them when I was high-tailing it down a rope from the law. They sure are persistent, you know. Although… I suppose when you’ve just swindled the chief senator of Telone, shagged his women, stolen his gil and killed his favourite minstrel, they kinda have to be. In fact… I really shouldn’t be in a public place right now…”

“Why’s that?”

“Well, I only ran in here to get away from the law…”

“The law you say… I’m sure my poor deceased parents wouldn’t approve of you, my good man, which, I have to say, makes you go up in my estimation immensely. What did you say your name was?”

“I didn’t, but it’s Stroud. Adair Stroud.”

“Good to make your acquaintance, Stroud! I could certainly use a man like you aboard my fine new airship. Why, the Wolfstar, all she needs is a capable first mate and she’ll be flying.”

“A first mate you say? Well, I’ve had some experience aboard airships, and… oh. Oh shit.”

“What is it Stroud?”

Sirius is shocked but not really very surprised to see a pair of Senatorial Guard complete with gleaming breastplates elbowing their way through the crowd in the Sandsea with very determined looks upon their faces. Adair grabs Sirius by the arm and dives off through the crowd.

“What say you to a job aboard my airship? Quick getaway and all that, hm?”

“Well, just between you and me Famfræn, not all of those stories I told you are necessarily true…”

“I like a man who can think on his feet, Stroud! And my own might not have been… well, okay, it was entirely a pack of lies. So what do you say? I’ll split any loot seventy-thirty!”

“How about sixty-forty? And I get any women we happen to pillage on the way!”

“Sixty-forty and you get any women after I’ve chosen my own. Final offer.”

“Sounds like a deal! Now let’s get the hell out of here, captain!”

mistysakura
6th February 2008, 12:55 AM
Yeah, the edit does a better job in going from the bragging to the offer. I also like how they both admit that the stories aren't true. I reckon it's the 'my good man's that make the piece sound more eighteenth century and less futuristic. By the way, the 'I am a hardened criminal' line at the beginning seems a bit weird, especially seeing as he's running from the law. In any case it sounds like he's trying too hard to sound hardcore. I suppose it fits with the bragging.

Nice work.

Crystalmaster Mike
6th February 2008, 03:02 AM
Indeed, having read the first version, the editing helps easen the transition between the pouring of the drink to the 'brief exercise in braggadocio' to the offer of a quick getaway.
All in all, it feels a more natural conversation.