PDA

View Full Version : Unique game experiences

Shadow Wolf
16th October 2011, 04:52 PM
Hi everyone!

Well, following a small conversation in Fanfic, I thought of having a thread where we could share all those *insert unique description here* experiences we've had with different pokemon games. If you have any story that you might remember from old games, or if you recently had an experience while playing one, then feel free to post it here.

- For me, I still remember two experiences with shiny Pokemon:

1- I began a new walkthrough in Pokemon Silver. After I got out of Mr. Pokemon's house for the first time, I go through the grass and.... surprise! A shiny hoothoot. I didn't had any pokeballs yet so I sighted and turned off the game. I insert Pokemon Gold (my walkthrough had some progress on this one) and fly right where I found the shiny hoothoot. On the first wild encounter... surprise! A shiny Rattata. Well, it might now be a hoothoot, but its still shiny, so I caught it. Coincidence? Probably! :)

2-The other one was that I played a total of 3 walkthroughs in my Silver version. On two of those walkthroughs, i encountered the same shiny pokemon on the same route: a shiny Meowth on route 38. Once again, coincidence? maybe!

- Finally, one experience that probably everyone who played pokemon might've had, is the struggle to get a legendary pokemon. In my case, I really hate it when I spend 60 great balls and ultra balls (30/30), fail to catch it reset the game and only use 5-10 balls to succeed.

How about you?

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
17th October 2011, 11:05 AM
I remember one very unique and unfortunate thing. I have completed every Pokémon games numerous times, played for hundreds and hundreds of hours but not a single time did I ever, EVER, find a shiny Pokémon in the grass. Not one.

Another thing I remember is actually managing to catch Mewtwo with an Ultra Ball at the first try. That was a nice surprise.

Jeff
17th October 2011, 12:33 PM
I remember back when I was playing FR and managed to find two shinys within a month of each other. A Kadabra and Machoke, both in Cerulean Cave if I'm not mistaken. I even posted about it here. My ruby version had been erased by my brother's friend who just wanted to try it out for himself and happened to save over my file. I started over and got a shiny Whismur from that playthrough. I have since lost my Ruby Version (this particular friend has been known to steal things, so I fear that could have been its fate), and even worse, my Fire Red Version was rendered unplayable after getting chewed by our old dog. Then there was that time in Silver where a shiny Graveller selfdestructed on me.

The one silver lining to all my shiny bad luck is that I did get a shiny Shinx on Diamond, and still have it to this day.

classy_cat18
17th October 2011, 01:36 PM
I remember my first shiny Pokemon. I didn't even run into one until Diamond, and then I got my shiny Budew. Then about a week later, got a shiny Bidoof. Then after months of not playing, picked up my game again and found a shiny Kricketune.

Non-shiny experiences. There was that one Pokemon that would taunt me: Mespirit. Down to a few HP and paralyzed but still wouldn't get caught. I put down the game for a few months. The same day I found the shiny Kricketune, I ran into Mespirit without looking for it. And caught it. With a Great Ball. *headdesk*

Jeff
17th October 2011, 01:39 PM
My brother had and experience kinda like that. He was trying to catch Articuno on Blue, and ran out of Ultra Balls. He only had a pokeball, and used it out of frustration. It caught it.

mattbcl
17th October 2011, 05:36 PM
I still play Pearl and I'm known around town for being a decent breeder. (I've caught a few players here using Pokémon that I've traded to friends, who then lost those Pokémon as wagers in battles against others. Nice to see they appreciate them!) Last year I got on a kick of breeding Shroomish because I wanted to get one with a particular nature, plus the Poison Heal ability, so that I could put a Toxic Orb on him and make him rape face. Egg after egg churned out with either the wrong ability or the wrong nature.

So imagine my shock when I hatched an egg that bore me a shiny Shroomish, with the exact nature I wanted, plus Poison Heal.

Ka-CHING!

Link
17th October 2011, 05:57 PM
When I was playing Pokemon Black and White, I was about to catch Volcarona and then I caught it with a Pokeball. The same thing happened for Reshiram to me, and I think they made the new 5th gen games much more easier to catch legendaries as the previous games on the DS and the GBA were made for the truly patient trainers out there, in terms of catching tough pokemon in the wild.

Jeff
17th October 2011, 06:12 PM
Reshiram and Zekrom are easier to catch because you're required to catch them to beat the game, Volcarona isn't really a legendary so it isn't quite as hard to catch as one.

mr_pikachu
17th October 2011, 06:57 PM
True. Beyond those examples, I've battled and caught several of the other legendaries in White, and while they were somewhat easier to catch than, say, I remember the legendary birds being, that may just be due to the capture tactics I've learned over the years.

The main difference I've noticed in battling BW legendaries, at least for the ones I've faced, is that they don't have any recovery moves. I swear, Mewtwo and Lugia used to make me want to throw my Game Boy Color into a wall.

As for my own experiences, I share Alex's woeful tale: aside from the red Gyarados, I've never even seen a shiny Pokemon in any game. I can also say that I beat Alder with Pokemon about 20-30 levels lower than his. The new games with higher item-holding limits make it a lot easier to item spam... I had something like 120 Revives and 150 Hyper Potions before the challenge, and I needed them, as I was down to single digits in each by the end.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
18th October 2011, 10:15 AM
The first time I caught my favourite Pokemon, Articuno. I lived in Haapavesi, and earlier on the same day I had had to walk 5 kilometers to a shop to buy bread and it was something like minus 30 degrees Celsius. What a suitable weather to catch the icy bird.

Magmar
18th October 2011, 11:06 AM
When I had to restart the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time because the game froze while I was working on the Water Temple. I lost the key I was carrying and it was no longer in the chest, but the door remained locked. I had spent weeks getting just to the Water Temple. GRR.

Oh and I will hever forget my first pokemon team rating experience, what with my Nidoqueen that had poison sting and all.

Link
18th October 2011, 11:15 AM
I know, Jeff. You raise a good point. That is why Nintendo or gamefreak made 5th gen ubers more easier to catch than say the legendaries/ubers in heartgold or soul silver, or even platinum.

Pokemaster Ash
18th October 2011, 11:19 AM
Well I remember once in....I think it was Emerald. I was trying to catch Rayquaza and hurling Ultra Ball after Ultra Ball at it (a familiar feeling to all, I'm sure). Now considering Fly is normally NOT a learned move (Rayquaza the only Poké I can think of that actually has it in its level-up moveset, though I could be mistaken), I didn't think I could do much when Rayquaza used Fly during the fight. Just for one random time I decided to try to throw a ball at it when using Fly (figuring the worst that'd happen was the game telling me I couldn't do that).

Not only was I able to use the ball on Rayquaza, it was a catch!. I figured I must have surprised the damn thing doing that. Unfortunately that move doesn't work anymore (or at the very least, I couldn't throw a ball at Giratina mid-Shadow Force), but it was kinda surprising.

And then in Gen 4, I got a little taste of something even far more rare than the Shiny. Imagine my surprise while playing Platinum to check my Pokémon's stats and see that they had Pokérus. I felt good that day (and I was not dumb enough to waste it, I have stuff in the PC ready to spread it).

Cynder
19th October 2011, 11:34 AM
I've found a few shinies, but my most memorable experience is definitely when I caught a pokemon with pkrs. I was about 8 playing ruby and training a brand new team for some reason, and was on route 102 when I encountered a Surskit, whcih I didn't even know could be found on the route. So I caught it and when I went to the pokemon center I crapped myself because I didn't know what pkrs was and I missed the entire speech on it xD So I just boxed the Surskit and went on my merry way until I went to replay the game and found it again, and was absolutely chuffed. True story.

My very first shiny was a Flaafy in Crystal that I didn't catch because I had no pokeballs on me. I was gutted. But it was by the lake of rage, where I encountered another shiny Gyarados, not just the normal one that's garunteed, and managed to catch it. Johto's been kind to me, shinys wise.

ChobiChibi
1st November 2011, 06:11 PM
I just found a shiny Zebatrika whilst looking for that giant thundercloud Pokemon :O