PDA

View Full Version : Seasons: A Collection of Avatar: TLA One-Shots

Bison Woes
16th July 2006, 05:54 PM
I have decided to just put all of my one-shots here to save board space (and my sanity but that's another story).

Unfortunately, writing an original Pokemon-centric story is much harder for me than anything else so I dabble elsewhere. Mainly, I dabble among Avatar: The Last Airbender, one of my favorite cartoon anime-esque series. And since I haven't seen many (or any) fanfictions here about it, I decided to share a new one-shot I wrote about the new episode that premiered in the U.S. a couple of nights ago.

There are spoilers in this for the episodes "The Library" and "The Desert" (the movie special "The Fury of Aang") and for Season 2. This probably isn't a fic one can start reading without seeing the series either. That probably just got rid of most of the readers here.

Any criticism is welcome, however. I actually would like some to improve as one-shot writing is new to me (second one I've written). Thank you and enjoy!

I'm Here for You

She hated seeing him like that.

Sand whipped her face, blinding her as rage rolled off of him in waves. Arrows and eyes glowing fiercely, he lost it. Wind surrounded him, forming a protective barrier from any attacks towards him.

But it didn’t protect the ones outside from the hurricane of sand.

Her brother ran, taking Toph and Momo with him. It was the right thing to do, in a primal sense. She would’ve thanked him but was afraid to talk; afraid to draw the Avatar’s attention towards her. He wasn’t Aang anymore. Aang was a carefree child who loved jokes and to joke. He goofed off whenever possible and had a heart of gold.

He might’ve been Aang physically but, mentally, he was an enraged Spirit, no different than Wong Shi Tong. He was the Avatar now.

She was tired and scared. It didn’t show on her face though. She felt like crying. Seeing the boy like this always destroyed her heart. Never had she been happy to see someone in so much pain, in so much rage.

The rage and fury that powered the sandstorm continued to grow. It became physical, turning into wind that whipped sand and blanketed the area. His face was a mask of anger, underneath it would be the face of a wounded child. One who had very little and just had his heart ripped out.

The Sandbenders disappeared; Toph and Sokka and Momo vanished in a cloud of dust.

Toph. She didn’t, couldn’t blame Toph. She knew that the girl had done all she could. The blind Earthbender couldn’t have fought off the Sandbenders alone. Instead of saving one life, she chose to save four. She had grown closer to her lately. In this heat and sand, the girl was almost defenseless.

She stared sadly at the boy, a mere shell now. He had lost his best friend, one of the last things that reminded him of home and of the past

A bit of blue flashed in the sand. Sokka. He was brave but dense at times. His hallucinations had put her at edge, nearly driving her insane. But he of all people knew what Aang was going through. They had both lost someone dear to them. She remembered that he had been there for her. He had danced around it but he had been there.

And now, she was here for them.

She didn’t consider herself brave as she walked forward. This wasn’t about bravery or about cowardice. This was just doing what was right. And she needed to do this, for all of their sakes.

He lifted up into the air as she got closer, raising an arm to block out the sand. She could feel the pain that emitted from him, hitting her as hard as a ship crashing into an iceberg. She didn’t stagger though and kept moving forward.

Reaching up, she carefully grabbed his arm, keeping him within reach. She refused to let him give into the fury and the pain. He’d kill them all if he did. The Avatar turned to her, eyes glaring so fiercely that she thought he would strike her down. Despite the heat, she felt a chill run through her. Those expressionless eyes were just two glowing lights in a sea of chaos.

Yet, there was a plea there, a cry for help she couldn’t ignore.

Her face remained placid, looking up at him so sadly. Her own plea was visible, a plea for him to stop. She reached out her other hand, gently wrapping her fingers around his other arm. Slowly, she pulled him back to the ground, ignoring the wind that made her hair whip her face hard. She ignored the pain that flowed through her as sand cut into her skin. All she knew was that he needed help and she was the only one who could.

As soon as his feet touched the sand, she brought him close. The air was somewhat peaceful inside the barrier, an ironic twist to the storm raging on the outside. She felt like crying, she truly did. But she needed to remain strong for him, for Toph, for Sokka, and even for Momo. There were no doubts in her mind of him hurting her as she wrapped her arms around him. Even though he wasn’t Aang at the moment, the human inside of him seemed to react. The winds calmed down a notch and she hugged him tighter, to tell him she was here for him. She’d always be there for him.

He stood rigid, face distorted by pain and anger. She wished to wipe it all away, to rid of it like dirt. She closed her eyes, unable to look at the rage and hurt on his face anymore. No words passed between them. Aang wouldn’t have been able to hear them anyways. She willed the Spirit to calm, that it would be all right if he calmed down.

Her will seemed to have broken through the shell. The barrier around them dispersed, the sand falling to the ground like rain. She barely registered that he was leaning on her before the glow that had burned through her eyelids faded.

Tears streamed down the Avatar’s face, the pain surfacing now. She felt his body go limp, his shoulders drooping. She drew him tighter like she remembered her mother doing, reminding him that she was there. He leaned heavily on her, face relaxing for a moment. The tears continued streaming, each one a plea for his friend’s return.

She held onto him, refusing to let go. She could feel the Sandbenders and their friends staring at the two, amazed at her courage. Almost to tears, she wanted to tell them it wasn’t courage that made her stay behind. It hadn’t been bravery that had fueled her drive to help him instead of running.

Katara didn’t voice her reason though. It would break the strange spell that had befallen the young boy, maybe driving him back into a fit of rage.

She knew his pain, the pain of losing someone special. When people avoided it, it drilled more pain in, destroying the heart. She refused to run because she knew the outcast feeling when her mother had been lost. It had hurt, almost as much as the loss itself. So she had stood her ground, holding him to remind him that all hope was not lost.

Not as long as she was here for him.

Saffire Persian
16th July 2006, 09:13 PM
I have one thing to say, and that is 'wow'. ^^

Absolutely superb job at transcribing that scene into a one-shot. That scene was my favorite one from the last episode. I really think you did a great job of it, fitting emotion, description, well everything into a nice package that really flowed. Your characterization of Katara was great as well. I always find it amazing how she can calm him down just by touching his arm -- it was a very monumental scene in the Desert episode last night, and you did it justice here.

I hope to see more from you, now. ^^

As to what you can do better? I really didn't see anything you can prove upon here, and you're only bound to get even better as you write more, but I found this Avatar one-shot a very enjoyable read. I would like to see how you handle the other characters.

I didn't see any spelling/grammar mistakes, of course, my proof-reading eye leaves something to be desired, and I'm just happy I was able to read a nice Avatar one-shot by a writer that actually knows what she's doing.

Great job.

Silencer
17th July 2006, 06:43 AM
How can I not read this.

I just saw the episode and this was the last scene perfectly translated to a story.

Bison Woes
17th July 2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the reviews, Silencer and Saffire Persian! I'm glad you both enjoyed it as I had fun writing it yesterday after making sure I was getting the motions and timing right with the animation.

To be honest, I like one-shot writing better because I have never finished a multi-chaptered story before (am sort of ashamed of that). With one-shots, it's done and the only time I have to look at it again is if I'm checking for grammar and spelling.

I'm actually thinking of changing the title of this thread and make this a collection of one-shots as I'll probably stick to those instead of chapter fics. That way, I won't be clogging up this board with one-shots when I think of them.

Saffire Persian
17th July 2006, 11:11 AM
To be honest, I like one-shot writing better because I have never finished a multi-chaptered story before (am sort of ashamed of that). With one-shots, it's done and the only time I have to look at it again is if I'm checking for grammar and spelling.

I know how you feel - I've only finished a multi-chaptered story twice.. and that was wayyy back in the eighth, ninth grade. o.o My writing my have been horrid, but I managed to finish two 50,000 word stories. Never have since then. I've only finished one-shots.

Bison Woes
17th July 2006, 12:09 PM
Yep, but you've done good. You finished yours XD

So yeah, decided this to be my Avatar one-shot thread. This will be updated when I think of them and that hopefully will be frequent.

This next one was written back in April when I was very bored in a class. I don't believe it's as good as the first one here but I do like the way it turned out. It contains spoilers for the beginning of Season 2 so don't read if you don't like spoilers.

Once again, any help is appreciated!

Revelations

Laughter from some sort of creature echoed in the night, branches creaking and trembling under the weight of the unidentified monsters. Darkness shrouded their movements, hiding the beasts as they raced across the canopy.

Zuko made the fire blaze almost to the branches, sending sparks flying into the air. The din silenced, the rustling of leaves the only sound left to hear.

Snorting, the teen settled back down on the rough hay, closing his eyes. It had been a horrible day with barely any food to eat and annoying townspeople. His uncle hadn’t made it any better, sitting and laughing like there weren’t any problems. He shouldn’t have to live like this; he was the prince of the Fire Nation! People should’ve been begging him for money, not the other way around!

In fact, the old man was lying across from him. It was a wonder he hadn’t lost any weight, considering that they had been on the run for days on end.

“Zuko,” Iroh called out, “good night.”

He grunted in disagreement but didn’t say anything to him. Zuko could feel the waves of disappointment from him but ignored it. His uncle rustled about as he got ready to sleep, hoping to spark at least some words from the boy. His nephew remained quiet though, back to him.

Zuko waited a few minutes after his uncle’s movements had silenced before sitting up. He glared at his uncle and dropped back down.

As he tried to get comfortable, he remembered all the infuriating things his uncle had done. Changing courses without consulting him, not teaching him anything but the so-called basics, music night. He angrily punched at the makeshift pillow, scratching at his head. The hair growing there was driving him crazy.

His thoughts began to shift, remembering how his uncle had protected him from his sadistic sister. The way he stepped in, saved him from a messy death. How he stayed with him, no matter what happened. He had cut his topknot with him, a silent promise to remain at his side no matter what. Through thick and thin they would remain together.

Zuko rolled over, staring at his uncle’s form across the campfire. He had stayed by his side, even when it looked impossible. The old man had snuck him aboard Zhao’s ship, kept him secret when he could’ve saved his own neck. Iroh had even said that he thought of him as a son.

He was his teacher.

He was also more of a father than his own, something Zuko had never given him credit for. He listened to him, withstood his anger and foul mood.

Stunned at his own revelation, the teen stared at the fire. Then, he turned back to the sleeping man, whispering, “Thank you.”

Zuko rolled back over and closed his eyes, feeling slightly cheap at only telling him that when he was asleep. He promised himself to tell his uncle that one day, when the time was right of course.

Across the campfire, Iroh smiled to himself.

Saffire Persian
19th July 2006, 02:00 PM
Another nice one-shot by you. Zuko and Iroh are favorite characters of mine... though in all actuality I like all of the characters in Avatar some way or another -- even Azula with her incredibly psychotic tendencies.

However, the dynamics between Zuko and Iroh are some of the most fascinating. ^^ Another nice one-shot showing their relationship, with Zuko's tendencies to take for granted Iroh's presence. He's definitely more of a father than Fire Lord Ozai ever was to him.

It was a wonder he hadn’t lost any weight, considering that they had been on the run for days on end.

Heh. I've always wondered that myself.

Another very nice one-shot, though I'm afraid I don't have much to say on it -- no advice I can give because it's very good how it is, and I can't see anything wrong with it. ^^

Charles Legend
19th July 2006, 05:31 PM
both of the Shorts are rather nice to read Bison Woes ^^;;

~Charles Legend

Ace64
19th July 2006, 06:49 PM
The only character who genuinely pisses me off is Zuko's sister...her name escapes me. I just HATE her voice- I know I've heard it before, but I can't place where. Nonetheless, lightning-bending is pretty cool. I'd be curious to see a one-shot about her, next.

Saffire Persian
19th July 2006, 11:53 PM
The only character who genuinely pisses me off is Zuko's sister...her name escapes me. I just HATE her voice-

I'm sure I've heard her voice before, too. I actually like the voice actor who plays her - I think it fits the character (Azula, BTW) to a T. ^^

Ace64
20th July 2006, 12:05 AM
Oh- why did I think Azula was the happy-go-lucky circus girl? Hmm.

Saffire Persian
20th July 2006, 01:01 AM
Ohh, you mean Azula's little minions? Yeah, I don't like the circus girl either. XD Meng I think her name is. Mai is the stoic one. o.o

Sorry.. Won't keep spamming up your thread, Bison. ^^ Thanks for sharing these one-shots though.

Bison Woes
20th July 2006, 10:11 PM
XD The person who plays Azula also plays Vicky in The Fairly Oddparents. And Ty Lee is the circus girl; Meng is the girl who had a crush on Aang and called Katara a floozy.

Another short one-shot done today, a little creepier than I feel comfortable with. Just a small dive into Koh's past when he encountered the Avatar. Just small warnings for spoilers for the seaon 1 finale. Once again, any help is appreciated!

Faces

The hearts of many can be considered pure, untouched by darkness and free from the corrupt that drilled in and twisted the spirit.

However, even the purest hearts can become the most corrupted.

He slithered in, avoiding putting weight on his right leg. He shuddered as he came to a stop deep inside the cave, gasping for air. Leaning against the wall, he pushed forward, sometimes casting glances behind him.

Being followed was not what he wanted. When he wanted something, it was planned out precisely, almost to the second. He had to move smooth and swift, never pausing unless he needed to. Wasting a move would jeopardize his mission, giving his prey a chance to escape. When he lashed out, he did it cleanly without any falter or hesitation. He might’ve been fast but he had to catch that surprise, the emotion that lit up the face of the beautiful.

He had to savor it before he ripped it off.

He paused, looking up at a mirror hung on the wall. Like everything else, it was hung straight, a very ornate one he had found while visiting an Earth Kingdom palace. He was particularly fond of it. He remembered visiting the king for a few moments. Listening to the man’s cry of terror had sent wonderful shivers through him. The mirror had caught his attention before he left. With exact movements, he had ripped it off of the wall and had taken it with him, all before the guards had shown up to ruin his fun.

Swaying from side to side a little, he stared into the mirror. A white face stared back at him, gray circles around the eyes. Red lips smiled then frowned as a shot of pain raced up his leg. Bending over, he glared at the wound that had cracked his leg open like a nut, preventing him from walking on it.

The Avatar.

Immediately, the strange lids closed upon his face, opening back up. A fair-haired beauty stared out onto the world now, face placid. He remembered watching her, always smiling and giggling. It would be a shame to ruin such a face with a frown. And he did value his faces.

With a blink, the face became pasty white once again. A smirk crossed its features at the thought of the damage done to such a young man. It was for the best, he reasoned. The thrill of seeing the Avatar, so distraught and wanting to kill him without showing it. Being destroyed slowly from the inside out. He almost could feel the heart twisting in grief, ready to seek vengeance. It had been for the best that he didn’t steal the face. It would only endanger him further. And he didn’t do anything that would hurt him. Well, except for today. However, he had wanted such a beautiful face. His greed had just clouded his judgment was all.

He studied the mirror closely, frowning again. Another blink, another face. He frowned, staring at his reflection in the mirror. It was ugly, hideous. He had always hated this face, wished he could rip it off like he did to so many other faces. His own hideous, disgusting face. It was no wonder why he chose to steal others’ beauty.

Blinking again, he stared back at the fair-haired beauty, the smile returning again. He had no doubt in his mind that the Avatar would come searching for him again, furious, angry. He would take advantage of that. Humans were so predictable. He’d be so stricken with grief, it would be easy enough to sneak up and rip the wonderful face right off of the bone. He nearly shivered in delight.

Gingerly, he placed his leg on the ground, testing it. When white hot pain flared, he leaned back, balanced on his left side. Blinking and frowning with the white face, he carefully crawled off, diving into the darkness of the cave. He was sure the man would come to avenge his love. All he had to do was wait and listen.

If not, he was sure they would meet again another day.

Another day, another face.

Bison Woes
23rd July 2006, 04:39 PM
Woohoo, another one-shot completed! This one stars Azula as I slipped into her head and how she thinks last night before writing it. It's kind of crazy really. Small warnings for Season 2's episode "Zuko Alone" (which most of the fic occurs somewhat).

My Way

Life wasn’t fair. That’s what she had been taught ever since she could walk.

So when she heard that her father wasn’t in line for the throne, that her uncle was, she had remembered that one simple statement.

It didn’t help.

She was Daddy’s favorite, was even Grandpa’s favorite. Why couldn’t she be in line for the throne? She seethed but kept her cool.

Another lesson. Stay in control, never lose it.

It was one her brother failed to learn. They had already replaced his bedroom when he had a nightmare, burning the curtains and bed sheets. She remembered smiling all the while. Her brother had looked so scared and angry with himself, it was a sight to see. Even her father had looked angry at him. It was a delicious sight. Too bad she had been too young to fully exploit it.

She enjoyed the look on his face, one of self loathing, when she accomplished techniques in a few simple days that had taken him months to learn. She loved the anger that coursed through him when she bested him in nearly everything. Academics, fighting, Firebending.

However, she still wasn’t in line for the throne.

Even if Daddy did become Fire Lord, Zuko would inherit everything. Zuko would have the throne, he would have the power.

And she hated it.

Her mother was oblivious, she was sure of it. Sweet, sweet Mom. Always there to pamper the boy, spoil him. She was spoiled, of course, but in a different way. She had power over her surroundings, over her acquaintances. She even had some control over Daddy. When she went to him, demanding to have the throne instead of Zuko, he had caved in. It was so easy to have people bow down to her will.

However, there were a few that rejected her charm.

Uncle, the old man just never seemed to cave. He always avoided the question, somewhat dancing around it. He seemed to know her better than the other adults but, no matter how many times he expressed his concern, no one listened. She had to be grateful for that.

And Zuko. He knew that she loathed him. He refused to play with her, unless Mom forced him to. There were a couple times that he did play willingly with her, however those times were to try and best her at something.

He always failed.

She enjoyed his pain and learnt quickly of new hurt, emotional and mental pain. It was much more fun to cause. She barely had to do anything with this one. All she had to do was talk. Keep him down to remain the favorite, the one who inherited the throne. It was amazing what happened when she did. He screwed up constantly when she went on about how she was Daddy’s favorite, he lost control easier. His temper flared and ignited. She stood her ground, easily besting him once again with a couple of quick jabs to the stomach. Wasting energy was useless to her.

Although she had looked sad when Lu Ten died, she was cheering on the inside. With Lu Ten dead, Uncle didn’t have a suitable heir to the throne. Grandpa would have to pick Daddy to keep the line going.

However, Daddy didn’t get his way like she usually did.

She had been mad when Grandpa refused to let him ascend to the throne. But, she had been pleased at the punishment. The way she could twist it to make Zuko even less favorable in their father’s eyes was so easy.

And she did just that. He looked terrified and barely ventured far away from Mom. She knew Daddy would find a way to gain the throne. But why waste such fun when it was so easy to have?

Even when Grandpa died, she was joyous. She knew what was going to happen. When they announced the decision that he had made, she smirked, barely hiding it. Zuko looked so confused. She would’ve grinned as Daddy was crowned Fire Lord but couldn’t allow the emotion to slip past. It would give the people a reason to revolt against this stunning development. Uncle had been the favorite of the people.

She cast a glance at Zuko, nearly grinning as she did so. Daddy did promise her the throne, one way or another. Without Mom here, Zuko was easy to scare. Daddy had always said that Mom was too easy on the boy. But now, oh now, she had control. Even if Daddy didn’t know it. And there was only one thing left in her path to be the heir to ultimate power.

Their eyes met and she smirked.

His gold eyes widened in surprise and he turned away but she caught the emotions exploding on his face. He was scared of her. He had always been but now, things were different. He was in her way and he knew it.

And Azula always got her way.

Even years later, she refused to be anything but perfect. Everything she wanted, she received. Anything she tried, she did until it was flawless. She did it to keep Zuko down, under her. To remain Daddy’s favorite forever.

When Zuko was banished, cast out from the family, she grinned. She had finally made it; she was next in line for the throne. Like at Grandpa’s funeral, she smirked, deciding that Daddy could play ruler for a little while longer for getting rid of his own son like that and putting her as his heir.

But, as soon as she felt like he was done, she’d take the throne, no matter what he said.

Besides, Azula always got her way.

Treeckachu
24th July 2006, 12:39 PM
Wow. Great, truly the best "get inside my head" one shot of this evil girl. Very, very expressive and you matched her character even better than the people that created her. Do ya have any idea how bad that makes them look? ^_^ Well, keep it up!

Saffire Persian
25th July 2006, 11:45 AM
Both of those one-shots were wonderful. ^^ Koh was one of the most interesting spirits that we have thus far run into; I quite like him.

Now, Azula's one-shot was brilliant. You portrayed her personality well - and you make her sound just as fascinating as she already is. That girl is so odd, but I like her background and personality because it's something I rarely see pulled off well, and in this one-shot, you do it well, too. ^^