PDA

View Full Version : M: TG - Mystic Tournament

Rhand
21st June 2006, 10:17 AM
Here it is. The first chapter of my Magic: The Gathering Fanfic. About time I got it up and running.

I don't know how many of you play Magic, but if anyone is confused as to what's going on, feel free to PM me.

Week 1 - Sunday/Monday

I can’t believe it! A tournament? Here? Since when did this middle-of-nowhere store get so much recognition?

Rhand's day had been pretty ordinary, that is, until he passed the notice posted on the window of the local game store. It announced that tomorrow afternoon, the store was to host its first Wizards of the Coast sanctioned tournament, and Rhand was running home as fast as his legs could carry him. Which, considering that they carried him past his house before he realized where he was, was pretty fast.

Note to self: Pay attention to your surroundings he thought as he doubled back...and nearly ran over a person he quickly recognized.

"Hey, Troy!" exclaimed Rhand, stopping himself before he collided with his friend.

"Nice to see you, too," replied troy with a raised eyebrow. "I had no idea I was so popular."

Troy was a tough kid, very muscular, which made sense considering he was on the high school football team. He liked big things; big cars, big games, and his favorite, big meals. This contrasted Rhand to the extreme. Rhand was on the average side; average height, average build. The only outstanding feature he had was his golden blonde hair, which was long enough that he had to keep moving it out of his eyes.

"Sorry ‘bout that. I’m in a bit of a rush. Speaking of which, you hear the news?

"No, I didn’t. What’s going on?"

"The game shop is hosting a tournament tomorrow afternoon! The notice says that the winner will receive a really rare card and a chance to go to the statewide tournament! I just registered, and they said they were getting close to full. You better hurry up and register."

Rhand didn’t even wait for Troy’s reply as he rushed home to tell his dad. When he finally managed to find the right house, he kicked off his shoes and called out, "Dad? You here?"

"Sorry honey," came his mother’s voice from the upstairs bedroom. "He said he would be gone for a couple of days on business. What’s the rush?"

"There's a really big tournament going on at the game shop downtown tomorrow afternoon; I just wanted him to know."

"Well I'm sure that you can call him tonight when he gets back to his hotel."

"Yeah, you’re right. I just wanted to make sure he was there to see me beat everybody!" Rhand said, slamming his fist into his palm for emphasis.

He saw his mother start down the stairs, rolling her eyes. "Keep you’re cool there Mr. Hot Shot. You seem to have a lot of energy; why not go and set the table for the three of us."

"Three?"

"I live here too!" came his younger brother's voice from the next room. "And I'm hungry!"

"Oh right. Sorry Daniel."

After dinner, Rhand left the house to return to the game shop. Wandering around inside looking at the different cards on display he saw Troy looking very proud of himself.

"What’s got you all excited?"

"I just registered, and I was the last person. They closed registration right after I signed up."

"Sweet deal! I wonder who we’re gonna face for players in this tournament. There are a bunch of new faces in the shop."

Looking around, Troy saw that Rhand was right. More than half the kids in the shop were new to him, and there was no telling what kinds of players they were.

"Oh, Rhand, I found someone’s name on the registration list that I thought you might recognize. All he lists is ‘Jake’, but I think you know who it is."

"Wait a second. Isn’t that the guy from our rival high school who came over to visit for a while? He was a good player, and we had a lot of fun in our games. After he left, he kinda kept tabs on me and asked me how my deck was doing, although I haven’t heard from him in a while. Now I might end up facing him again!"

Heartened by the news that his friend would be joining the tournament as well, Rhand went home to take a look at his deck. He spread out his artifacts and gave them a good look over. He picked up his Suncrusher and gave it a loving look.

"You’re the rarest card in my deck, and have pulled me out of many tough spots. Let’s hope this continues. I'm counting on you."

That night, Rhand called his dad to tell him about the tournament.

"That’s great son! Do you know who else is entering?"

"Yeah I know a couple people on the list, but there are a bunch of new names."

"Well, that’s because this tournament is not just offered to players in our town. People from all over the district can enter into it. You’re really lucky, because this is a chance that not many people get. Just think about all the friends you will meet!"

"Wait a second dad; it sounds like you already know about the tournament!"

"I...read about it in the newspaper."

"Oh ok. Well, if I make it to the finals, can you try to be there for the game?"

"I’ll be sure to make it. Everything else is second to my son winning his first tournament!"

"Oh by the way dad, guess who else is entering."

"I can’t wait for you to tell me, because I'm sure you will."

"Jake! From the school on the hill, remember him?"

"Jake...isn’t he the champion from his school?"

"Yep, that’s him."

"Well, I hope you face him again; nothing like a classic battle between two champions. I hope you have fun tomorrow. I’ve got to get back to work, so I’ll see you at the tournament!"

Jake. Wow, its been a couple years, but I can still remember our games. He used to come over to the school once a week for classes, and we would duke it out. He helped me a lot with my deck. Its probably because of him that I became champion of the school. I haven’t seen him in the longest time!

The next day, Rhand just made it to the game shop in time for the tournament to start. He stood in line as Tournament badges were handed out to all the participants. He got his badge, put it over his neck, and waited at a table with a bunch of new people for the tournament to start. They looked younger than him, and were having a very excited conversation about their decks. He couldn’t help but listen in.

"Ooh! What does that card do?"

"It’s a wall that can block any number of creatures I want it to. Works really well in my deck."

"How well do you think you’re going to do this year?"

"Pretty good. I just got a bunch of rare cards, and they really beefed up my deck. Kids from this high school better watch out for me."

Wait a second...they’re from our rival high school! "Hey, you guys look pretty busy, and I hate to bother you, but do any of you know Jake? He's supposed to be here and I haven’t seen him yet."

"Jake? Of course! He’s a living legend! Who wouldn’t know him?"

"Well, do you know where he is?"

"He’s right over there, getting ready for the tournament."

The kid pointed to a rather tall, black-haired kid standing in the corner. Rhand immediately identified him as Jake. He quickly ran over to greet his old friend.

"Heya! Wow, isn’t this great? We both entered into the tournament!"

"Hey, I remember you. It’s Rhand, right?"

"Yep, that’s me!"

"You still got that old artifact deck you faced me with? I hope you’ve pumped it up a bit from when we played, cuz this tournament isn’t anything like our games in high school."

"Oh, don’t you worry about me. Just you wait! I plan on making it to the finals!"

Jake sniffed at that. "Well, I guess if you’re gonna make it to the finals then I'm sure I'm gonna end up facing you."

They both got a laugh out of that. When they were done, Jake pulls a card out of his pocket and hands it to Rhand. "Here; to celebrate the reunion of the two champions. You’re gonna need it more than me. Besides, it wouldn’t work in my deck."

"For real? Wow thanks!" Rhand looked at the card. Sunbane Phoenix. Huh. Well, I might as well use it. Could come in handy at some time.

"Can I have everyone’s attention? Can everyone please take a seat?" The owner of the game shop had just taken a position behind the microphone. "Now, I know that you’re all excited about the tournament, so I have a surprise for you. We have a visitor." The whispers at this point were so loud that he had to quiet everyone down again. "I know, I know, you want to know who it is. Well, I guess I won’t disappoint you then. This man is the first winner of this game shops first tournament, and is now taking the position of the grand judge of games for this tournament. It gives me great pleasure to introduce our very own, Kevin Strauss!"

What? What’s dad doing here? And why is he the grand judge?

"Thank you, it’s good to be here. This tournament is the introduction to the statewide championships. The top player from this tournament will be given the opportunity to go to the statewide tournament in Portland. Also, the champion will receive a rare card featured in the new set that has come out. This card will not be revealed to you until the final match. Now, would you like to know who you’ll be dueling in the first round?"

Cheers rose up from the crowd.

"On my left is a table with today’s matches. The winner of each duel will continue to the next day’s event. The loser is welcome to watch for the remainder of the tournament, but is not allowed to participate. The rules for this tournament are that each game is final. No rematches, no re-dos. After you complete the game, the results will be delivered to the judge of games, yours truly, and the winner will receive a new badge which they are to use tomorrow as an entrance to the gaming area."

The owner of the game shop returned to the mic. "Now, this morning, we received a bit of technology which is new to the world. A prototype gaming system, if you will. This device is to sit between you and your opponent. Your deck is to go into a slot on the side, while the cards you play will be inserted into a slot facing you. There's a little surprise as to how this thing works, which you will find out when you start playing. Now, it is the responsibility of the first person in the bracket to come up to the stage and get this device. They are to take this and place it at the table designated on the match up chart. At this time, please come up and read the chart so you can find out who you are facing in the first round."

A new device? Wonder what that is. And I still don’t know what my dad is doing here. Rhand pushed his way to the chart to find who he was facing first. As he looks, he sees that Jake is facing someone from his own high school. Give ‘em hell, Jake. He finally found his name, second in the bracket. He looked at who he was facing. Earl? Do I know this kid? Rhand looked over the crowd to find his opponent. He spotted the table that he was dueling at, and made his way over. His opponent had already gotten the device and was sitting down across from him.

Rhand took one look at the device and gawked. This is the most high-tech thing I've ever seen in my life! It looked like a metal shoebox with three-inch-thick walls, and it was twice as wide as it was long. The bottom of the box was black with a green grid, and the inside walls were lined with what looked like mini cameras. On the side to Rhand's right, there was a rectangular hole that he assumed he was supposed to put his deck into. In front of him was a slot for him to put cards he played into. On the wall on Rhands side was a digital readout that currently read 20.

After getting a good look at the device, he looked at his opponent.

"You think you'd never seen a piece of technology before. I seriously doubt you've even used a calculator in your life." His opponent sneered at him.

Wait a minute! Who does this guy think he is? Oh wait...He's the kid from earlier! That I asked about Jake!

"What grade you in anyways, kid?" Rhand asks.

"I'm only a sophomore, yet I'm already taking calculus and physics. I just completed my statistics course last year, and I'd say your odds are very slim." Earl snickered.

"Kid, you'd better watch yourself. You have no idea who it is you're messing with."

"Oh, I know exactly who you are. Two-time school champion of Oxford Hills High, and soon-to-be discrace to the gaming community!" Earl started laughing, causing the two players next to them stare for a bit, then turn their heads in an attempt to ignore them.

"Whatever, can we start playing, please? I want to have as little contact with you as possible." Rhand starts shuffling his deck and waits for Earl to bring out his.

Earl's expression turned into one of impatience. "I'm waiting for you! I've already input my deck and I've been waiting for you to do the same."

"Oh. Um, yeah, where do I put my deck again?" Rhand looked the machine over again, looking everywhere but where he was supposed to.

Earl rolled his eyes. "Do you need me to hold your hand during our duel?" Earl grabbed Rhand's deck and slid it into the slot on the side. The door in front of the deck closed, sealing the deck inside.

"Hey! Watch it! Now what am I supposed to do?"

"You really are a big baby, aren't you? Here, I'll make it easy for you. I'll explain as the duel goes on, so your prehistoric mind can comprehend."

I dont think I can take much more of this. I haven't even seen his deck strategy and I'm already thinking of leaving so I dont have to listen to this know-it-all.

The bottom of the shoe-box type device started glowing, and words flashed across the bottom. Player 1 Start. Cards spit out the sides of the box over where they had placed their decks. "If you couldn't guess, these cards are our hands." Earl said with the air of one explaining that two and two made four.

"Look, I might not be some kind of whiz kid like you, but I do know how to play the game. So take your turn already." Rhand replied. Geez, this kid looks five years younger than me, and he's starting to sound like my great-aunt.

"Fine, if you're so keen on seeing your removal from the tournament, I'll be happy to oblige. The first card I play will be a Plains. That's it for me this turn."

Earl slid a card into the slot in front of him. Then, to Rhand's shock, a patch of grass grew out of the floor of the machine! Earl didnt look surprised at all. "What? Holographic projection new to you?"

"It isn't to you?" Rhand asked.

"Wow...you seriously haven't seen this before, have you?" Earl asked with a look of genuine shock on his face. "This is only the latest advancement in Magic: The Gathering gameplay! I read about it online, and added some cards specifically for it."

"What do you mean?"

"You'll see once my next turn comes. Or should I say, you wont see."

What can he be planning? Oh well. What can he know? "I draw my card." Rhand gets a good look at his hand. WHAT? How did I get this hand? There's nothing but land-based cards in it. Hope I draw some creatures soon. "I play a forest, which I then tap to play Wayfarer's Bauble." A single tree appeared on Rhand's side of the field, and it immediatly turned grey as a golden ball made entirely of long, thin spines appeared. "This allows me to - "

"Pay two mana, tap it, sacrifice it, and then look for a land in your deck and play it tapped, I know. I take it you're done with your turn?"

What is with this guy? He's too young to know this much.

"My move. First, I play a Forest from my hand. Then, I play the card I told you about: Wall of Glare!" Rhand watched the field waiting for the creature to appear. Before he saw the creature, a bright light shone and nearly blinded him.

"Where's this creature you were summoning? I can't see it." Rhand said, puzzled.

"That's kind of the point. It isn't called Wall of Glare for nothing, you know." The light receded a little bit, but Rhand still had a hard time seeing Earls side. "With that I end my turn."

Rhand drew his card. Yes! A creature. I think I can use this right now. "First, I play an Island from my hand. I tap both my lands to play a Sylvok Explorer." A man dressed in a green hooded robe that seemed to made out leaves appeared. The front of his robe was a series of overlapping metal plates. Then, a small translucent box with the numbers '1/1' appeared in it.

I guess this thing also shows Power and Toughness. Not bad. "I can tap my new Druid to - "

"Produce one mana of any color a land I control could produce." Earl interrupted. "Can we get on with it?"

"All right, that's enough. I'm getting a little sick of your know-it-all attitude," Rhand said, slightly angered.

"What? It's not my fault that I know every card in existance. Oh wait, I guess it is."

"You know every single card?" Rhand said in disbelief.

"Every one. From every set. I've been studying for this tournament for a year now. I should be ready for anything you have to throw at me. And by the looks of it, you dont have that much." Earl said with a sneer.

Rhand didn't say anything, but just gave Earl an incredulous look. "What?" Earl asked, slightly confused.

"You may have spent a year training, but all you did was study the cards! You have no practical experience and therefore no trust in your deck." Rhand said with a look of determination on his face.

"I trust my deck completely! And I'll prove it this turn." Earl draws. "I play a Mountain from my hand - " A single peak appeared in front of Earl. " - and then I tap all three lands to play Sandskin on my Wall of Glare." The light receded a little more, and took on more the form of a sandstorm. "Now, whenever Wall of Glare is in combat, it takes no damage."

Rhand looked wide-eyed. "This means that you have a perfect defender!" How am I going to get past that?

"With that, I end my turn." Earl said, very pleased with himself.

"I draw - " Yes! Another creature. " - then I play a Swamp from my hand. Next, I tap my Swamp, Forest, and Island to play Darksteel Ingot." A black stone on a golden pedastal appeared on the far side of Rhand's field. "I can tap this to add one mana of any color to my mana pool. I then tap my Darksteel Ingot and my Sylvok Explorer to activate the effect of my Wayfarer's Bauble, letting me search through my deck for a land and put it into play tapped. I'll take a Mountain." Rhand expected the door containing his deck to open so he could search. Instead, a peak formed in front of him. I guess that works. "With that, I end my turn."

"What kind of deck is this? Nothing but land cards? And to think that you were the champion of the school. I say 'were' because I'm about to take that title away from you." Earl drew. "I play a Forest from my hand and then end my turn."

"And you're complaining that I'm doing nothing?" Rhand drew from his deck. Again? How many of these am I going to draw in a row? "I play another Forest. Then I tap a Forest, Mountain, and a Swamp to play Suntouched Myr." A metallic, almost alien-like creature with bowed legs appeared next to Rhand's Explorer. "Then, I tap a Forest, Island, and my Darksteel Ingot for a Red mana. Now I play another Suntouched Myr." Another creature appeared next to the first. "And since I used three different colors of mana to summon my Myrs, they each - "

"Get three +1/+1 counters on them, giving them stats of 3/3, yes, I know! You really don't need to explain all your cards to me. Let me guess: you're using a Sunburst deck, right?"

Rhand's eyes widened, but he didn't say anything.

"I knew I was right; I always am. I can only assume that those aren't your strongest cards." Earl snickered. "Because, if they are, you're in for a world of hurt. I draw, then I end my turn."

"What's up with you? Are you trying to bore me to death? Because if you are, you're succeeding. I draw my card - " This will help. " - and then I tap one of each land to play Etched Oracle." Another alien-looking robot appeared, this one somewhat wizard-like in appearance. It was holding a crystal ball in one hand. It had strange markings on its plating which gave it a mystical feel. "It wont stay here long, because I tap my last Forest to activate its effect." The markings on the creature started glowing, then the light receded and the creature was gone. Three cards spat out of the machine for Rhand to draw. More creatures; good. And a land; really good! "I then play a Plains, which I tap, along with my Darksteel Ingot for a Green mana, to play another Sylvok Explorer. (1/1) Now, I attack with both my Suntouched Myrs. Since you only have one creature to block, one of them gets to attack you unblocked." The matching pair of creatures started running over to Earl's side, but stopped short of the raging sandstorm in front of them. They then returned to Rhand's side, disheartened.

"Hey! What gives? How come you didn't take any damage?" Rhand asked, shocked and more than a little confused.

"I didn't tell you? Wall of Glare has an effect. It can block any number of creatures I want it to. Which means that all attacks at me are pointless."

Great. Not only does he have the perfect defense against one creature, but all of them! There must be a way around it. "Just take your move already." Rhand said, impatiently.

"OK then, I will. I draw, then I play a Mountain and end my turn."

"Again with the stalling? This is getting really old really fast."

"Just take your turn. I promise that I won't have any more boring turns after that one. I guarantee it." Earl smirked, a look of anticipation glowing on his face.

"Alright then, I draw. Then I play the card I drew, which is Mirrodin's Core." A sphere of white light descended onto Rhand's side. "Then, I tap a Forest, Mountain, and Swamp to play another Suntouched Myr." (3/3) Might as well get as many creatures out as possible. "Then I tap an Island, Plains, and a Forest to play another Darksteel Ingot." Another pedastal joined the first. "Since attacking is pointless, I end my turn."

Earl just sat there, snickering to himself.

"What's so funny?" Rhand asked his opponent, concerned for the guy's sanity (and, to some extent, his own).

"Oh, nothing. You just did exactly what I wanted you to do! I draw. Now you will see the full power of my deck. First, I tap two forests to play Avatar of Might!"

The first thing Rhand could make out through the sandstorm was a small box with '8/8' in it appear on Earl's side. His eyes shot wide open as he interrupted, "Hold on a minute! How can something with a casting cost of only two mana have stats of 8/8?"

"With a special effect, that's how. You're right: Avatar of Might normally costs eight mana to summon, but Avatar of Might has an ability that lowers its casting cost by six if my opponent controls four or more monsters than I do." Earl retorted, sounding very excited.

"...Oh," was all that Rhand could say at that point. Rhand had to watch as a monster three times the size of any he has summoned appeared on Earls side, behind the Wall of Glare. Rhand couldnt quite make out what the creature was because of the raging sandstorm, but it appeared to be a giant tree with arms and no leaves.

"I'm not done yet. Next I tap two Mountains to play Avatar of Fury!" Earl says with a shout. Again, the two people next to them their heads to stare. This time, however, instead of just looking away, they actually slid down the bench away from Earl.

Rhand noticed another box, higher than the others. This one read '6/6'.

"I suppose that this creature has an effect to lower its casting cost as well," Rhand said, expecting that he was correct.

"Hey, maybe you're not as dumb as you look. You're right: as long as my opponent controls seven or more lands, Avatar of Fury costs six less. Each one of my avatars has a mana reducing ability which I intend to unleash on you! Oh, and one more thing. Avatar of Fury? Yeah, it has flying, which I notice that none of your puny Myrs have. Which means that when I attack, you cannot block it!" As he was talking, a pillar of fire appeared and a flying...thing...made of burning embers emerged from it. "I'll let you in on Avatar of Fury's last ability. I can pay one Red mana to give my Avatar +1/+0. So not only can you not block it, but it can get stronger on its way to your life! There's no way you can get yourself out of this now!"

He's right! Theres not much I can do. With this hand, I'm sunk!

Continued Next Chapter

jkBAKURA
22nd June 2006, 09:49 AM
I can't say that I'm a Magic expert, but I have wondered what it would be like using YGO-esque holograms.

It looks like a very well written story so far. I'll definately be back to read the later chapters.

Shuppet Master
28th June 2006, 01:36 PM
Me too. How's Rhand going to win this match with a monster that can jump right over his creatures and hit him directly?

starjake
3rd July 2006, 10:07 AM
Well, seeing as I'm the beta-reader for this, I don't have too much to say. But I do agree with Bakura: you're a very good writer. I don't know how many people on these boards actually play M:TG, but you write in a way that makes the game easy to understand. Write the next chapter soon...

Until next time, this is StarJake, fading out...

Mookie
7th July 2006, 02:52 PM
Woe. WOE. I WANT WOE!
Yeah. One of the Avatars.

Personally, I dislike Sunburst decks. Just pure preference. Avatars, on the other hand. Me like'em. Me like'em MUCH.

But meh.

You wrote the chapter, so it was easy to understand. I haven't played Magic in what....2 years? Yet, I could understand the effects and the progress without having to think much. For example: "Uh. What did that card do? And that? Was that move legal?" Etc.

Nice job. I'll keep reading.

mr_pikachu
20th July 2006, 10:40 AM
Hey there, Rhand! Again, welcome to Fanfic! It’s good to have you here.

Sorry that it’s taken so long for me to post a reply, but with net problems and the like, things have been a little tough. Anyway, let’s get on with it!

As I mentioned before, I like the idea of a MTG fic. It’s an interesting change from the Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh fics we see all the time here. Also, as others have said, you did a pretty good job making the moves easy to understand. I think I said this before, but I’ve played a grand total of two MTG games in my life, and always with borrowed decks. But you made the moves and rules very obvious without having to force long, drawn out explanations. That was good work.

However, I did feel that the beginning went much too fast. It almost seemed like you were rushing through the first part of the fic in order to get to the tournament. You gave some fairly good descriptions of the characters, but the dialogue was pretty abrupt, and the plotline just felt vastly condensed. More description can help with chapter length. Your character descriptions were great, but it also helps readers to be able to mentally picture settings, actions, and so on.

Also, it might help you to go back through your chapters one or two more times to edit them. There were some issues with homonyms, typos, and a couple of consistent misspellings (“pedastal” was noticeable after awhile). Finally, watch out for tenses; you switched a few times from past to present tense and vice-versa.

But even with those concerns, this was still a nice start. You’ve helped yourself quite a bit by starting with a unique concept (that is, a MTG fic), as getting your readers’ interest early is always to your advantage. The mystery behind Rhand’s father might also make things more interesting. For that matter, I’m a little curious about this rare card that’s apparently the grand prize. All in all, I’d say there’s more happening in this tournament than meets the eye.

This could be quite good, especially if it builds into a deeper plotline. I’m looking forward to seeing where this leads. Well, I’ll see you next chapter! :wave:

P.S. Yes, in case starjake hasn’t told you already, I always have some advice to give about any fic I read, and I tend to give really long replies. So if this post happened to catch you off-guard… blame him, not me. This is a pretty typical reply for me. :sweat2:

Rhand
20th July 2006, 01:28 PM
if only you knew my plans for this fic :keke: