PDA

View Full Version : Choices

Ultimate Charizard
2nd May 2003, 09:17 AM
Im a member of a mail order book/video club and lately (finally) they have started selling anime DVDs. There isnt much on offer but i cant make my mind up as i can only afford one.
Tell me what you think.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - collection 0:1
(im guessing this is part of the series which i have already seen)

Martian Successor Nadesico - chronicle 1
(Same as above but i do like this series alot)

Samurai X - Trust
(never heard of this one)

Burn-Up W - On the case and in your face
(havent heard of this before. Cover art looks interesting though :D)

Akira
(The classic anime film but ive seen it a number of times)

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Death and Rebirth
(was tempted to buy this but i heard bad things)

Neon Genesis Evangelion - The End of Evangelion
(Not sure about this. Is it just the ending of the series cos i wasnt too impressed with that)

Golgo 13
(havent heard of this)

Shadow Skill The Movie
(Good but ive seen it a few times already)

Razor Blade Smile
(Again, never heard of this. Says its a British film but has the Manga logo on there)

Appleseed
(Ive seen this so many times im almost getting sick of it)

The Castle of Cagliostro
(Another i havent heard of)

Perfect Blue
(Great film, really messes with your head but its another that ive seen alot)

Any help is welcome.

Red Angel
2nd May 2003, 09:34 AM
I'd get End of Eva, if I were you, especially since you haven't seen it... and yes, it IS an ending to Evangelion... but still very much worth watching IMHO

KaptainSarcasm
2nd May 2003, 01:56 PM
Don't get Eva, you won't understand it if you haven't seen the whole thing. Plus, Eva is overrated anyway. It wasn't THAT good. It was just groundbreaking. I would get Samurai X - Trust. I've heard great things about that one.

Mewtwo-D2
2nd May 2003, 04:38 PM
Samurai X- Trust is extremely good, though the proper name is Rurouni Kenshin- Trust and Betrayal.
Castle of Cagliostro is interesting if you're a fan of classic anime. After all, it is Lupin III, which is 70's, so the animation is pretty bad. It's supposed to be extremely good though...
And I've heard bad things about Burn-up W.

If you want a fairly reliable source for reviews try www.scifi.com/anime

Azura Stardust
10th May 2003, 06:53 AM
Samurai X Trust is a REALLY good OVA.... however it's more enjoyable if you watched a bit of the original first and got interested in Kenshin. Trust/Betrayal is set before the TV series and talks all about Kenshin's past. It's really deep and moving. But really, like I said, you ought to have watched a bit of the series to wonder what kind of a person Kenshin was, etc. Really.

So I tell you, don't watch that until you watch at least 15 eps of the TV series. XP. Best is if you watch until about 30 eps and then watch Trust/Betrayal. FULL enjoyment.

And thus I have been of little help because I can't recommend you anything - I haven't watched the rest :D ;;;