PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Realm: Neo

Mystic_clown
2nd October 2006, 01:14 AM
Have you ever felt that your life sucks?

Have you ever felt that things just never go your way after one bad day?

Well, cry me a river, build me a bridge and get over it!

You think your life sucks? Try living in the Central Shadow Realm. Depending on what you are, your life can suck from the beginning of your existence! Being treated like dirt and having to bend over backwards for people you secretly want to kick them where it hurts…

…well, unless the person in question’s a machine or a rock. That would just hurt.

But anyway, being lower class is bad enough, but being lower class in a place like this, now that sucks.

Now, the only way for someone like that to make his life worthwhile, is to do something that’ll most likely get you killed.

But hey, who wants to liver forever right?

[SIZE=7]
Shadow Realm: Neo

Prologue: Another Day

All was dark and silent in the cave. Well, almost silent. The sound of quiet footsteps echoed on the stone walls as a cloaked figure moved through the darkness. The figure’s eyes roamed the enormous chamber, searching for something. A small smirk appeared on his lips as he found it.

“Bingo.”

He pulled the hood of his cloak back as he strode quickly, yet quietly over to the wall. His face was a little pale, with blazing green eyes and pale blonde hair, which cascaded down his back. Underneath his cloak, it could be seen that he was wearing green armour, a brown undershirt and brown gloves and pants. A long sword hung by his side.

He was Neo the magic swordsman, or at least, one of many.

His race, like a number of others, had a pretty interesting story. The original Neo was just a magic swordsman who gave himself a name. Due to a great amount of skill he showed in the first Dragon War, his entire race became known as Neo the Magic Swordsman. Of course, this was a mouthful so everyone just called them Neo. This happened to a number of races, such as the Harpies Brother (only one was really their brother, and he was in government), Doma Angel of Silence, the list goes on. For some reason or another, the whole race got stuck with the name of the original.

He, like all Neo’s didn’t go by that name however. They altered their name one way or another to set them apart. His original number was N022. So, after switching some numbers to letters, Neo gave himself the name Nozz. It was an odd name, but he always felt comfortable with it.

There was also another thing that set Nozz apart from the other Neos. While a few joined the police force and the army, most remained as drifters, a lot like the original.

Nozz wasn’t a drifter though. He was a criminal. Becoming a criminal was the only way low level monsters such as him were going to get any respect in the Central Shadow Realm. Just ask the Dark Scorpions.

Right now, Nozz was in the second of the three caves, three caves before the Iron Door. Each cave had its own guardian, and these guys were not to be messed with.

The first was an Ultimate Obedient Fiend. Legend has it that Exodia dragged this fiend out of Dark World, slapped some chains on it and ordered it to guard the cave. Nozz couldn’t help but respect Exodia because of this. You’ve got to respect a monster that can drag a monster like that out of its home and turn it into a guard dog.

The second was the fearsome Gate Guardian. The three deities, Sanga of the Thunder, Kazejin and Suijin all merged into this giant and swore loyalty to Exodia. Nozz often wondered why they did this. Sure, the Gate Guardians one of the scariest things on two legs, but the deities were pretty powerful separate. Now they’re stuck with each other forever.

The third was Airknight Parshath. Now, compared to the Ultimate Obedient Fiend and Gate Guardian, he doesn’t seem like much. Except Exodia gave this guy the legendary sword Excalibur, making him a force to be reckoned with. Still, Nozz always felt something like a Perfect Ultimate Great Moth would have done just as well, except those guys take almost forever to breed.

However, guarding the door wasn’t the only thing these caves were for. Many of the richest monsters in the Shadow Realm saw fit to store their most valuable possessions here. These caves seemed safer then any bank. After all, who’d be stupid enough to try and steal stuff being guarded by these guys?

Well apparently, Nozz was.

He had gotten past the first cave easy enough. Sure, the Ultimate Obedient Fiend was a fearsome beast, but it had to sleep once in a while. Nozz simply camped outside the cave until it took a nap (he was out there for three days). Now all he had to do was grab as much stuff as he could carry and get out of there, all while avoiding the guardian of this cave (no points for guessing who that is).

Nozz grinned at the rare magic and trap cubes laid everywhere. Money was easy to come by for the rich and powerful, but cubes like these are a real rarity. Pulling a small bag from his cloak, he began grabbing them and stuffing them into his bag.

“Hmm, Mystical Wok, that’s a nice one. Ooh, Monster Reborn. That’ll bring in a fair bit. Fairy Meteor Crush, Rope of Life…hey, Rare Metalmorph. I’ve been looking for this one.”

He suppressed a chuckle of glee as his hands glided over the treasure trove of rare magic and trap cubes, picking up the ones he knew would fetch a nice price on the black market.

It was then something occurred to him.

Where’s the Gate Guardian? I mean, here I am, pinching some of the best magic ad trap cubes money can by, and that overgrown totem’s nowhere to be seen.

As if answering to his thoughts, a deep growl emitted from behind him. Nozz’s blood ran cold.

Curse my damn brain!

Nozz slowly turned to see a pair of glowing golden eyes just inches from his face.

The Gate Guardian was standing right behind him, and bending down so it was eye level to Nozz.

The magic swordsman grinned nervously.

“Hi,” he said, hoping that by trying to make friends with it, it wouldn’t stomp him into the dirt.

It didn’t work.

The mammoth monster rose to its full height, shaking the cave with a explosive bellow as electricity charged in its arms. Nozz’s eyes diluted out of fear before diving to the side, just narrowly avoiding the Gate Guardian’s burst of thunder.

Drawing his sword, Nozz dashed to get behind the massive beast. Judging by its size, Nozz figured it would be a bit slow to turn out.

Once again, Nozz was wrong.

The mid section of the Gate Guardian, which used to be Kazejin, swivelled around to face Nozz. Nozz’s eyes widened as the monster’s second mouth took a massive breath in, sucking almost everything in the chamber towards it. Nozz was forced to jam his sword into the floor to prevent being suck it.

The sucking stopped, and Nozz smirked.

“Nice try,” he chuckled. He spoke to soon.

The Gate Guardian’s second mouth let out a heavy blast of wind, sending the unfortunate blonde slamming into the wall. It took Nozz a good few seconds to regain his sense, just into time to see the Gate Guardian pulling back a massive fist.

Nozz yelped out in fright and jumped as the massive fist crunched into the wall. Nozz landed gracefully on the giants arm and, sword in hand, charged up its arm towards what he thought might be its head.

He brought his sword down with a clang…and nothing happened.

“Oh…right,” Nozz muttered sheepishly, “metal body…”

You idiot! What made you think you could take that thing on!? Just look at the size of that damn thing!

Growling in anger, the Gate Guardian grabbed hold of the spell caster, throwing him hard into the wall. Nozz regained his senses to see the eyes on the monster’s lower section, which used to be Suijin glow a bright blue. He didn’t get a chance to stop the blast of water it fired from its third mouth.

He couldn’t breath. The pressure of the blast kept him stuck against the wall. He could feel the whole chamber filling with water. He felt as if the pressure was going to crush him.

It didn’t.

Surprisingly enough, the torrent of water died down, just was the water level just reached above his stomach.

“What the…?” Nozz was confused. He had heard that the Gate Guardian’s Typhoon Assault attack could rip flesh from bone. Guess those legends were false after all. He looked up at the Gate Guardian.

Or maybe it just wanted to prolong Nozz’s suffering. It was pretty clear judging by the electricity charging in the monster’s arms.

It didn’t want to drown him, it wanted to fry him.

Nozz cried out in fright as he spun around, trying to clamber up the stone wall, which was difficult considering all the water that was holding him down. He looked back to see the Gate Guardian ready to electrify the water. With one last burst of effort, Nozz pulled himself out of the water, just as electricity coursed through it. He curled himself up as close as he can, feeling the sting of the electrified water just inches from him. If he let go, or he lowered any part of himself a few inches, he was as good as dead.

He could feel his grip slipping. He couldn’t let go! Not after all he went through!

He couldn’t hold on, the ledge he grabbed onto slipped free…

And he landed harmlessly in the water.

Oh thank the gods! Slifer, Ra, Obelisk, I love you all!!

The Gate Guardian’s attack had subsided seconds before hitting the water.

Getting to his feet, he began scrambling to get behind the giant monster a second time, which was difficult with all the water in the way…unless you were a fish, see serpent or aqua monster. Unfortunately, Nozz was none of those things. He did notice however that the Gate Guardian was having trouble moving as well.

Of course! The guardian’s legs are of a water elemental! The dope shocked himself!

He chuckled as he slowly made his way around the mammoth guardian, who was trying to over come the slightly paralysis in its legs. It didn’t take a genius to know that Nozz was outmatched, so he was doing the only smart thing.

Get the hell out of there before Gate Guardian.

As he struggled to the entrance, he suddenly began to find it a lot easier to move. Almost as if the water was vanishing.

He looked down and realized it was.

The Gate Guardian was sucking all the water back into itself, along with a huge mouthful of air. Nozz could also see electricity being charged around the metal plate just above its eyes.

Nozz paled. This was the attack people dreaded. Where the Gate Guardian combines all of its elements together.

The Tempest Attack.

The Gate Guardian fired. A powerful blast of wind, water and lightning, all aimed directly at Nozz. Nozz managed to dive out of the way, but not before the sheer force of the attack sent the blonde flying into a wall. The Magic Swordsman was knocked three ways to unconsciousness.

Nozz regained his senses to see the Gate Guardian looming over him, ready to deliver one last punch. Nozz frantically searched through his cape for the trap and magic cubes he brought along with him, hoping for something he could use. Any good thief brings trap and magic cubes with them. Doing otherwise is just plain stupid.

The Gate Guardian bellowed and Nozz grabbed a random cube and activated it.

Nozz closed his eyes. The Gate Guardian swung…

…and hit the wall just above Nozz.

Nozz opened his eyes to see a green glow surrounding the Gate Guardian, and that it was no floating off the ground. Nozz noticed the same glow around him and he too was floating. He looked at the cube in his hand.

Zero Gravity. Nozz could kiss the thing right now.

He couldn’t help but laugh as the Gate Guardian swung its arms in vein to try and reach Nozz. Only, it had floated to far away to reach him. Turning himself around, Nozz pulled himself along the all to the entrance of the cave.

Finally reaching it, he looked back at the Gate Guardian, who had finally given up and was just floating there, glaring at him.

“Maybe next time big guy,” Nozz laugh to he pulled himself through the entrance. He gave a small sigh of relief, now he could rest.

He grunted in pain however when he landed face first on the hard floor.

The Zero Gravity cube had worn off.

His eyes widened as he heard the enraged bellow of the Gate Guardian, and with renewed energy, shot to his feet and ran like Necros himself was after him.

The Ultimate Obedient Fiend was a bit confused to wake up to see a low level monster running out of his cave like a fairy out of Dark World.

Finally slowing down and coming to a stop, Nozz panted heavily for a moment before bursting into laughter. He had done it! He had outwitted two of the most dangerous monsters in the Central Shadow Realm! Him! A low level monster! He could kiss himself if it was possible.

Calming down, he sat on the ground and began looking through his bag, admiring the spoils of his little escapade.

“Aah,” he sighed, “No dog food for Nozz tonight.”

Out of the corner of his eye, Nozz spotted something move. He heard a sound like a stone being kicked. He was being watched!

Nozz shot to his feet and drew his sword. At the same time, yelps of fright came from behind a large rock.

“Don’t hurt us!”

“It’s only us!”

“We mean no harm!”

Nozz rolled his eyes as three forms fells from behind the rock.

They were, by pretty much everyone’s opinion, ugly. One had yellow skin, an ugly smile on his face and eyes on the end of long stalks.

The second was a lot more muscular, with green skin, one big eye in the middle of his face and an annoying grin with his tongue hanging out.

The third was black, with a little pot belly and a big now. He eyes were small on his face and like the other two, his mouth naturally revealed his teeth.

What these three had in common was the disturbing red Speedos they wore.

They were probably the lowest form of monster in the whole Shadow Realm.

The Ojamas.

It wasn’t a surprise that no one liked them. They looked weird, they smelled bad and they never shut up. Even Kuriboh’s were treated better then these guys (at least some weird minded monsters liked them as pets). These guys were the low of the low.

Nozz sighed in annoyance as he sheathed his sword.

“What are you three doing here?” he asked, annoyed.

The three looked down at their feet sheepishly.

“Well, we wanted to see you in action…” the yellow Ojama began.

“…and we knew you wouldn’t let us come with you…” the green one continued.

“…so we kinda followed you here,” the black finished.

The three yelped out in pain as Nozz gave each a punch to the head.

“What do I keep telling you idiots?” Nozz snarled, “You guys cant even fight off a Kuriboh, let alone take on any of the guys I run into in my job! I keep telling you guys to stay back at the hideout with the others! I don’t want to keep looking over my shoulder to see if you’re ok, even though I know I shouldn’t even bother.”

“But you do, so it shows that you care,” the Ojama yellow said. Nozz resisted the urge to strangle the little thing right there and then. Even though he refused to admit it, he did care about the little guys. They were like family to him. He took a deep breath to calm down.

“Anyway,” he said slowly, “You guys didn’t get in my way, and we did get some good stuff, so I’m willing to let it slide.” The three Ojamas smiled.

“Here,” Nozz tossed the bag over to the Ojama Black, who fell on his rear end catching it.

“since you’re here, you may as well carry it,” Nozz said as he turned and began walking, “Let’s go home.”

The three Ojamas nodded as they followed their friend, carrying the bag between them.

Coming up next: Nozz sells the spoils and gets a little information that’ll change his life. Stick around for chapter 1, “Big Plans”

Dark Sage
5th October 2006, 04:59 AM
Yay! I'm the first to respond!

I'm not sure what to expect of this fic yet. Nozz might be the romantic outlaw type, or the catburglar type, or the Pulp Fiction type... There are so many routes you can take with a character who's on the wrong side of the law.

He does seem either very brave or very foolish. Not many folks would sneak into a place that was marked off-limits by the chief of state and try to sneak past two guardians that were nearly twice as powerful as he was. I'm guessing that he has the Luck of Fool or something of that nature.

Having him have three Ojamas as sidekicks is an interesting touch - I suppose in the CSR those guys are pretty annoying.

I'll be following this, but don't forget about "The Six Avatars". Keep working on that too.

- DS

Mystic_clown
26th November 2006, 02:56 AM
Well, it seems, due to moving the board and all, my CSR fic got erased, therefore I have to repost it. Sorry to all those who were reading it (which was probably just DS).

Have you ever felt that your life sucks?

Have you ever felt that things just never go your way after one bad day?

Well, cry me a river, build me a bridge and get over it!

You think your life sucks? Try living in the Central Shadow Realm. Depending on what you are, your life can suck from the beginning of your existence! Being treated like dirt and having to bend over backwards for people you secretly want to kick them where it hurts…

…well, unless the person in question’s a machine or a rock. That would just hurt.

But anyway, being lower class is bad enough, but being lower class in a place like this, now that sucks.

Now, the only way for someone like that to make his life worthwhile, is to do something that’ll most likely get you killed.

But hey, who wants to liver forever right?

Shadow Realm: Neo

Prologue: Another Day

All was dark and silent in the cave. Well, almost silent. The sound of quiet footsteps echoed on the stone walls as a cloaked figure moved through the darkness. The figure’s eyes roamed the enormous chamber, searching for something. A small smirk appeared on his lips as he found it.

“Bingo.”

He pulled the hood of his cloak back as he strode quickly, yet quietly over to the wall. His face was a little pale, with blazing green eyes and pale blonde hair, which cascaded down his back. Underneath his cloak, it could be seen that he was wearing green armour, a brown undershirt and brown gloves and pants. A long sword hung by his side.

He was Neo the magic swordsman, or at least, one of many.

His race, like a number of others, had a pretty interesting story. The original Neo was just a magic swordsman who gave himself a name. Due to a great amount of skill he showed in the first Dragon War, his entire race became known as Neo the Magic Swordsman. Of course, this was a mouthful so everyone just called them Neo. This happened to a number of races, such as the Harpies Brother (only one was really their brother, and he was in government), Doma Angel of Silence, the list goes on. For some reason or another, the whole race got stuck with the name of the original.

He, like all Neo’s didn’t go by that name however. They altered their name one way or another to set them apart. His original number was N022. So, after switching some numbers to letters, Neo gave himself the name Nozz. It was an odd name, but he always felt comfortable with it.

There was also another thing that set Nozz apart from the other Neos. While a few joined the police force and the army, most remained as drifters, a lot like the original.

Nozz wasn’t a drifter though. He was a criminal. Becoming a criminal was the only way low level monsters such as him were going to get any respect in the Central Shadow Realm. Just ask the Dark Scorpions.

Right now, Nozz was in the second of the three caves, three caves before the Iron Door. Each cave had its own guardian, and these guys were not to be messed with.

The first was an Ultimate Obedient Fiend. Legend has it that Exodia dragged this fiend out of Dark World, slapped some chains on it and ordered it to guard the cave. Nozz couldn’t help but respect Exodia because of this. You’ve got to respect a monster that can drag a monster like that out of its home and turn it into a guard dog.

The second was the fearsome Gate Guardian. The three deities, Sanga of the Thunder, Kazejin and Suijin all merged into this giant and swore loyalty to Exodia. Nozz often wondered why they did this. Sure, the Gate Guardians one of the scariest things on two legs, but the deities were pretty powerful separate. Now they’re stuck with each other forever.

The third was Airknight Parshath. Now, compared to the Ultimate Obedient Fiend and Gate Guardian, he doesn’t seem like much. Except Exodia gave this guy the legendary sword Excalibur, making him a force to be reckoned with. Still, Nozz always felt something like a Perfect Ultimate Great Moth would have done just as well, except those guys take almost forever to breed.

However, guarding the door wasn’t the only thing these caves were for. Many of the richest monsters in the Shadow Realm saw fit to store their most valuable possessions here. These caves seemed safer then any bank. After all, who’d be stupid enough to try and steal stuff being guarded by these guys?

Well apparently, Nozz was.

He had gotten past the first cave easy enough. Sure, the Ultimate Obedient Fiend was a fearsome beast, but it had to sleep once in a while. Nozz simply camped outside the cave until it took a nap (he was out there for three days). Now all he had to do was grab as much stuff as he could carry and get out of there, all while avoiding the guardian of this cave (no points for guessing who that is).

Nozz grinned at the rare magic and trap cubes laid everywhere. Money was easy to come by for the rich and powerful, but cubes like these are a real rarity. Pulling a small bag from his cloak, he began grabbing them and stuffing them into his bag.

“Hmm, Mystical Wok, that’s a nice one. Ooh, Monster Reborn. That’ll bring in a fair bit. Fairy Meteor Crush, Rope of Life…hey, Rare Metalmorph. I’ve been looking for this one.”

He suppressed a chuckle of glee as his hands glided over the treasure trove of rare magic and trap cubes, picking up the ones he knew would fetch a nice price on the black market.

It was then something occurred to him.

Where’s the Gate Guardian? I mean, here I am, pinching some of the best magic ad trap cube money can by, and that overgrown totem’s nowhere to be seen.

As if answering to his thoughts, a deep growl emitted from behind him. Nozz’s blood ran cold.

Curse my damn brain!

Nozz slowly turned to see a pair of glowing golden eyes just inches from his face.

The Gate Guardian was standing right behind him, and bending down so it was eye level to Nozz.

The magic swordsman grinned nervously.

“Hi,” he said, hoping that by trying to make friends with it, it wouldn’t stomp him into the dirt.

It didn’t work.

The mammoth monster rose to its full height, shaking the cave with a explosive bellow as electricity charged in its arms. Nozz’s eyes diluted out of fear before diving to the side, just narrowly avoiding the Gate Guardian’s burst of thunder.

Drawing his sword, Nozz dashed to get behind the massive beast. Judging by its size, Nozz figured it would be a bit slow to turn out.

Once again, Nozz was wrong.

The mid section of the Gate Guardian, which used to be Kazejin, swivelled around to face Nozz. Nozz’s eyes widened as the monster’s second mouth took a massive breath in, sucking almost everything in the chamber towards it. Nozz was forced to jam his sword into the floor to prevent being suck it.

The sucking stopped, and Nozz smirked.

“Nice try,” he chuckled. He spoke to soon.

The Gate Guardian’s second mouth let out a heavy blast of wind, sending the unfortunate blonde slamming into the wall. It took Nozz a good few seconds to regain his sense, just into time to see the Gate Guardian pulling back a massive fist.

Nozz yelped out in fright and jumped as the massive fist crunched into the wall. Nozz landed gracefully on the giants arm and, sword in hand, charged up its arm towards what he thought might be its head.

He brought his sword down with a clang…and nothing happened.

“Oh…right,” Nozz muttered sheepishly, “metal body…”

You idiot! What made you think you could take that thing on!? Just look at the size of that damn thing!

Growling in anger, the Gate Guardian grabbed hold of the spell caster, throwing him hard into the wall. Nozz regained his senses to see the eyes on the monster’s lower section, which used to be Suijin glow a bright blue. He didn’t get a chance to stop the blast of water it fired from its third mouth.

He couldn’t breath. The pressure of the blast kept him stuck against the wall. He could feel the whole chamber filling with water. He felt as if the pressure was going to crush him.

It didn’t.

Surprisingly enough, the torrent of water died down, just was the water level just reached above his stomach.

“What the…?” Nozz was confused. He had heard that the Gate Guardian’s Typhoon Assault attack could rip flesh from bone. Guess those legends were false after all. He looked up at the Gate Guardian.

Or maybe it just wanted to prolong Nozz’s suffering. It was pretty clear judging by the electricity charging in the monster’s arms.

It didn’t want to drown him, it wanted to fry him.

Nozz cried out in fright as he spun around, trying to clamber up the stone wall, which was difficult considering all the water that was holding him down. He looked back to see the Gate Guardian ready to electrify the water. With one last burst of effort, Nozz pulled himself out of the water, just as electricity coursed through it. He curled himself up as close as he can, feeling the sting of the electrified water just inches from him. If he let go, or he lowered any part of himself a few inches, he was as good as dead.

He could feel his grip slipping. He couldn’t let go! Not after all he went through!

He couldn’t hold on, the ledge he grabbed onto slipped free…

And he landed harmlessly in the water.

Oh thank the gods! Slifer, Ra, Obelisk, I love you all!!

The Gate Guardian’s attack had subsided seconds before hitting the water.

Getting to his feet, he began scrambling to get behind the giant monster a second time, which was difficult with all the water in the way…unless you were a fish, see serpent or aqua monster. Unfortunately, Nozz was none of those things. He did notice however that the Gate Guardian was having trouble moving as well.

Of course! The guardian’s legs are of a water elemental! The dope shocked himself!

He chuckled as he slowly made his way around the mammoth guardian, who was trying to over come the slightly paralysis in its legs. It didn’t take a genius to know that Nozz was outmatched, so he was doing the only smart thing.

Get the hell out of there before Gate Guardian.

As he struggled to the entrance, he suddenly began to find it a lot easier to move. Almost as if the water was vanishing.

He looked down and realized it was.

The Gate Guardian was sucking all the water back into itself, along with a huge mouthful of air. Nozz could also see electricity being charged around the metal plate just above its eyes.

Nozz paled. This was the attack people dreaded. Where the Gate Guardian combines all of its elements together.

The Tempest Attack.

The Gate Guardian fired. A powerful blast of wind, water and lightning, all aimed directly at Nozz. Nozz managed to dive out of the way, but not before the sheer force of the attack sent the blonde flying into a wall. The Magic Swordsman was knocked three ways to unconsciousness.

Nozz regained his senses to see the Gate Guardian looming over him, ready to deliver one last punch. Nozz frantically searched through his cape for the trap and magic cubes he brought along with him, hoping for something he could use. Any good thief brings trap and magic cubes with them. Doing otherwise is just plain stupid.

The Gate Guardian bellowed and Nozz grabbed a random cube and activated it.

Nozz closed his eyes. The Gate Guardian swung…

…and hit the wall just above Nozz.

Nozz opened his eyes to see a green glow surrounding the Gate Guardian, and that it was no floating off the ground. Nozz noticed the same glow around him and he too was floating. He looked at the cube in his hand.

Zero Gravity. Nozz could kiss the thing right now.

He couldn’t help but laugh as the Gate Guardian swung its arms in vein to try and reach Nozz. Only, it had floated to far away to reach him. Turning himself around, Nozz pulled himself along the all to the entrance of the cave.

Finally reaching it, he looked back at the Gate Guardian, who had finally given up and was just floating there, glaring at him.

“Maybe next time big guy,” Nozz laugh to he pulled himself through the entrance. He gave a small sigh of relief, now he could rest.

He grunted in pain however when he landed face first on the hard floor.

The Zero Gravity cube had worn off.

His eyes widened as he heard the enraged bellow of the Gate Guardian, and with renewed energy, shot to his feet and ran like Necros himself was after him.

The Ultimate Obedient Fiend was a bit confused to wake up to see a low level monster running out of his cave like a fairy out of Dark World.

Finally slowing down and coming to a stop, Nozz panted heavily for a moment before bursting into laughter. He had done it! He had outwitted two of the most dangerous monsters in the Central Shadow Realm! Him! A low level monster! He could kiss himself if it was possible.

Calming down, he sat on the ground and began looking through his bag, admiring the spoils of his little escapade.

“Aah,” he sighed, “No dog food for Nozz tonight.”

Out of the corner of his eye, Nozz spotted something move. He heard a sound like a stone being kicked. He was being watched!

Nozz shot to his feet and drew his sword. At the same time, yelps of fright came from behind a large rock.

“Don’t hurt us!”

“It’s only us!”

“We mean no harm!”

Nozz rolled his eyes as three forms fells from behind the rock.

They were, by pretty much everyone’s opinion, ugly. One had yellow skin, an ugly smile on his face and eyes on the end of long stalks.

The second was a lot more muscular, with green skin, one big eye in the middle of his face and an annoying grin with his tongue hanging out.

The third was black, with a little pot belly and a big now. He eyes were small on his face and like the other two, his mouth naturally revealed his teeth.

What these three had in common was the disturbing red Speedos they wore.

They were probably the lowest form of monster in the whole Shadow Realm.

The Ojamas.

It wasn’t a surprise that no one liked them. They looked weird, they smelled bad and they never shut up. Even Kuriboh’s were treated better then these guys (at least some weird minded monsters liked them as pets). These guys were the low of the low.

Nozz sighed in annoyance as he sheathed his sword.

“What are you three doing here?” he asked, annoyed.

The three looked down at their feet sheepishly.

“Well, we wanted to see you in action…” the yellow Ojama began.

“…and we knew you wouldn’t let us come with you…” the green one continued.

“…so we kinda followed you here,” the black finished.

The three yelped out in pain as Nozz gave each a punch to the head.

“What do I keep telling you idiots?” Nozz snarled, “You guys cant even fight off a Kuriboh, let alone take on any of the guys I run into in my job! I keep telling you guys to stay back at the hideout with the others! I don’t want to keep looking over my shoulder to see if you’re ok, even though I know I shouldn’t even bother.”

“But you do, so it shows that you care,” the Ojama yellow said. Nozz resisted the urge to strangle the little thing right there and then. Even though he refused to admit it, he did care about the little guys. They were like family to him. He took a deep breath to calm down.

“Anyway,” he said slowly, “You guys didn’t get in my way, and we did get some good stuff, so I’m willing to let it slide.” The three Ojamas smiled.

“Here,” Nozz tossed the bag over to the Ojama Black, who fell on his rear end catching it.

“since you’re here, you may as well carry it,” Nozz said as he turned and began walking, “Let’s go home.”

The three Ojamas nodded as they followed their friend, carrying the bag between them.

Coming up next: Nozz sells the spoils and gets a little information that’ll change his life. Stick around for chapter 1, “Big Plans”

Mystic_clown
26th November 2006, 03:00 AM
Chapter 1: Big Plans

The Central Shadow Realm relied on one major form of transport. It’s railway system. Sure, if one was rich enough, they could get their own form of transport, or maybe catch a Labyrinth Tank if you were lucky enough, but for most of the time, everyone would just use the railway.

This usually led to a lot of subway tunnels and sidings being abandoned, not that Nozz complained or anything. In fact, he benefited greatly from this. Abandoned subway sidings make great homes for criminals.

The only problem was getting there without getting mowed down.

Nozz kept to the wall of the subway tunnel, his three little companions following close behind. Nowhere was more dangerous then in the Central Shadow Realm subway tunnels. There’s a high risk of being hit by train, or being attacked by a Dekoichi, although the latter could be easily dealt with. Although what Nozz couldn’t deal with was the three annoyances following behind him.

“Are we there yet?” whined the Ojama Yellow. Nozz clenched his fists to prevent himself from smacking the small monster silly.

“We’re almost there,” Nozz responded, “Just be quiet.”

The four stopped when they heard a faint rumbling coming from a distance. A rumbling that got louder as time passed.

“Train!”

Almost out of instinct, the four pressed themselves against the wall. No sooner had they did that a train came into view, almost blinding the four with its headlights. The train shot past the four, just inches away from Nozz’s face.

The four didn’t even dare to breath as it sped past them. As soon as it came, the train was past them. The four thieves relax, breathing in a sigh of relief simultaneously, a rather humorous sight to anyone watching.

Disregarding safety, the four bolted down the tunnel, hoping to get to their home before another train passes.

It was less than a minute when they reached the wooden barricade closing off a tunnel, an abandoned siding. It was about as high as a fence so that the conductors could see it…if there were any. There was a rumour going around that the trains were self piloted. But then again, no one went far enough to find out.

After helping his three ‘partners’ over the barricade, he threw the bag of stolen goods over it before climbing over as well.

“HIYA NOZZ!”

Nozz looked down at the numerous eyes looking up at him. Wherever he looked, Nozz say green, yellow and black.

How common a monster is depends on its level. If it’s a high level monster, like the Dark Magician for example, there could be as few as one. Low level monster like Kuriboh are abundant and considered a bit of a pest problem. Basically, the lower the level, the more common the monster.

And the Ojamas were no exception.

There were tons of the little guys littering the hide out. Nozz counted about fifty of each colour, totalling at about one hundred and fifty Ojamas, not including him.

“How’d it go Nozz?” The Ojamas all shouted out at once. The Ojamas all looked up to Nozz, mainly because he was one of the few monsters that actually put up with them, but also because the stories about his robberies where usually exciting.

“You should have seen him!” The Ojama black piped up, “He ran circles around the Gate Guardian!”

The Ojamas all ‘oohed’ upon hearing this. They had all heard of the Gate Guardian’s power and knowing that their friend had faced it and survived was pretty impressive.

“Is he back?” boomed a voice from a large hall in the wall. Nozz and the Ojamas had blown that hole in the wall (with a little help from a wave motion cannon Nozz ‘acquired’) and managed to make a separate room branching out from the tunnel.

“Yeah, he’s back!” One of the Ojama Green’s piped up.

“Well get him in here!” the voice laughed.

The small ocean of Ojamas parted as Nozz made his way over to the entrance. In the room, sitting on a makeshift throne was one of the largest monsters Nozz had ever seen…

…and one of the most ridiculous looking.

He was large and almost completely round. His skin was a shining platinum and his puggy arms and legs looked small on his large body. On his face was the same big toothy grin as the Ojama Blacks, and the large nose as well. His eyes were on the end of stalks, like the Ojama Yellows. On his head was a small crown and unfortunately for Nozz he wore the same red Speedos as the rest of the Ojamas.

This was the Ojama King, the leader of the Ojamas. Technically he was their leader, but the Ojamas more saw Nozz as their leader.

Normally, level six monsters like him out be living the high life. But, he wasn’t the most popular of monsters, like the rest of the Ojamas. His bizarre appearance put a number of people off of him (must be the Speedos) and his clear lack of physical strength didn’t improve matters.

He was also a big coward, ready to hide rather then fight. This was why he usually stayed underground with his ‘subjects’, while Nozz went out to get some money for them.

He grinned as Nozz entered the room.

“So, you survived after all Shnozz,” he laughed.

Nozz clenched his fists in annoyance. Having a name like his was bound to get him some insults. That particular joke had gotten old fast.

“You’re a fine one to be cracking nose jokes King,” Nozz shot back. Ojama King cleared his throat, a bit unwilling to admit that that was a good comeback.

“So, how’d it go?”

Nozz smirked as he showed him the bag.

“We’re eating tonight guys!”

The Ojamas cheered.

“We’ll see about that.”

Nozz jumped as a figure emerged from the shadows. He was dressed in a blue clown outfit with purple shoes, gloves and numerous trinkets hanging from him. He wore a purple steeple hat and his thin face was covered in bizarre face paint.

He was Saggi the Dark Clown, Nozz’s underground contact and a merchant on the black market. He was the one who got all of Nozz’s spoils at the end of the day. Saggi’s race had a similar condition as Nozz’s, as all of them were called Saggi thanks to the original. However, this one kept the name Saggi, leading people to believe he may be the original, a rumour no one was managed to confirm or deny yet.

Nozz tossed the clown the bag.

“Here.”

Saggi examined its contents thoroughly, a small smile spreading across his painted face.

“Nice work Nozz,” Saggi commented, “This’ll rack up a nice amount of dough. I know a few clients who’ve been looking for some of these.”

“So, how much will these get us?”

Saggi gave his friend and partner a warm smile.

“Well, let’s just say you and your friends wont be going hungry for a while.”

The Ojamas cheered. Saggi pulled a few wads of money from his pocket and handed them to Nozz. It was quite a partnership the two had. Nozz stole the goods, Saggi sold them and they split the profits. To even things out on Saggi’s end, he also supplied Nozz with a number of magic and trap cubes for his heists (such as the Zero Gravity Nozz used earlier).

Due to this little business of theirs, Nozz and Saggi had become pretty wealthy. However, both monsters were smart enough not to flaunt the money around. Low level monsters with lots of money are very rare and are bound to attract suspicion.

“If there’s anymore made from these, I’ll be back,” Saggi said.

“Thanks,” Nozz nodded, “Pleasure doing business with you.”

“Oh, by the way,” a small smirk appeared on Saggi’s distorted face, “I’ve got a bit of info for you.”

Nozz rose an eyebrow in interest.

“I’m listening.”

“Well,” Saggi leaned back on the wall, “I heard there’s a little deal going down at Drunken Angel. A deal involving some high class individuals. I think you may want to check it out, in case, you know, there’s something we can benefit from.”

“The Drunken Angel?” Nozz regarded him suspiciously, “Why would an upper class monster go there?”

The Drunken Angel wasn’t exactly a place for friendly social gatherings. That place sold the hardest stuff this side of the Central Shadow Realm and was also a good hot spot for some of Ha Des’ men when they were on their break. A bar fight would break out almost daily and on some occasions, some monsters were even killed. The owner, a Goblin of Greed, was said to keep the cops off his back via blackmailing a high ranking officer (some rumours even say that it was Dupin).

“I know it sounds weird, but that’s what I heard,” Saggi shrugged, “Maybe you should check it out either way, just in case.”

Nozz thought about it for a moment before nodding.

“Alright, I’ll check it out.”

Saggi smiled.

“I’ll be back tomorrow then to see if anything ‘interesting’ has come up.”

“Ok then, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Saggi nodded and then faded into the shadows. Nozz had no idea how Saggi was able to do that, but then again, his race was known for appeared and disappearing at random.

“Well then,” Nozz sighed, heading for the entrance of their ‘home’, “looks like I’ve got a little spy work to do.”

“Can we come?” an Ojama Yellow piped up.

“No!” Nozz said sharply, “and if any of you follow me anyway, we’re playing Ojama Football when I get back!”

The Ojamas (with the exception of king) stepped back in fear. Let’s just say Ojama Football is a game none of the Ojamas ever wanted to play.

--------------~*~-------------

It didn’t take long for Nozz to reach the Drunken Angel. Needless to say, there a hundred and one places Nozz would rather be right now than here.

It was a rather dingy place, the place barely lit up with four lights hanging from the ceiling, a small layer of smoke from the smokers hanged from the ceiling. A number of monsters sat at the bar, drinking, and one or two had even passed out. A number of shady characters, mostly fiends and zombies, sat at the various tables in the place. There was a small stage at the far end of the room for any monster with the balls to get up and sing. So far, a drunk Musician King was trying to sing some new rock song…very badly.

Nozz sat at one of the tables in the corner. He had left his cloak back at the hide out so he wouldn’t draw attention to himself. It didn’t really serve to hide his appearance anyway since monsters were usually identified by aura, not appearance, but a cloak would draw a bit of suspicion to him.

His eyes were on the door on the wall opposite. A pair of Dark Blades stood guard. There was usually something private going on in the back rooms, so instead of putting a guard at each door, they just put two at the door to the hallway.

Nozz took a few sips of his drink as he kept glancing at the door, trying to not act suspicious. He knew the meeting was going on in one of those rooms and he had to find some way past the guards. Unfortunately, unlike the rest of the bar’s occupants, they seemed sober enough to spot someone who wasn’t wanted back there. Simply trying to barge in wouldn’t work either, the commotion would probably bring more hired help in, and that was something Nozz didn’t want.

Nozz narrowed his eyes as he stared at the door, pondering. He had to get through somehow.

“HIYA EVERYBODY!”

Nozz’s eyes widened, his grip on his drink tightening to the point where the glass shattered, not that Nozz even noticed.

“Oh dear Slifer no…”

Nozz’s gaze slowly turned to the stage, only to have his worst fear confirmed.

There, standing on the stage, were three Ojamas, one green, one yellow and one black. All three were standing on each other like an ugly totem pole to reach the microphone.

Nozz wanted to run up their and throttle the little runts. He had told them not to follow him!

“We’re the Ojamas!” All three crooned at once, “And we have something special for you all!”

As they started singing, the first reaction of most of the bar’s occupants (including Nozz), was to cover their ears, trying to block out the horrible sound. They were just terrible.

The Ojamas’ little performance was cut short by a thrown beer bottle smashing on the wall just behind them.

“Shut the hell up!” bellowed a Giant Orc sitting at the bar. A cheer of agreement accompanied him. Needless to say, the Ojamas didn’t take this lightly.

“You wouldn’t know talent if it came up and bit you on the behind you fat lummox!” barked the Ojama Black.

The orc’s shoulders snapped back, the expression on the monster’s face suggested murder. If there was one thing you shouldn’t do to a Giant Orc, it’s insult their weight. Giant Orcs never considered themselves fat, they often referred to their enormous bellies as relaxed muscle (not that anyone believed them). They had grown quite sensitive about their bodies and insulting was just asking for a one way trip to the graveyard.

“Why…you…!” the Giant Orc stuttered, angered to the point where it couldn’t even say a proper sentence. Fortunately for the Ojamas, they were saved by a drunk Zanki who found the Ojamas’ comment absolutely hilarious.

Insulting a Giant Orc’s weight was bad, and in the monster’s eyes, finding the insult funny was just as bad.

Since the Zanki was closer, the brutish monster let out an enraged bellow before bringing his club down on the worrier’s head, crushing it against the bar.

The Zanki’s friend, a boar soldier, didn’t take this too kindly. The beast worrier truck the orc with his weapon, causing the monster’s rage to be focused on him. It wasn’t long before the other denizens of the bar got involved, resulting in an all out brawl.

Nozz hadn’t jumped in. Instead, he was glaring at the Ojamas hatefully. Those things were nothing but trouble to them. They were in for such a beating when they got back!

It was then that Nozz noticed that the guards had moved away from the door, having gone off to try and break up the bar fight. Nozz smirked.

Well, it seems those little runts are useful after all.

Quickly, yet quietly, Nozz slipped through the door before anyone noticed.

[CENTER]--------------~*~--------------[/COLOR]

It was dark, not too dark so you couldn’t see where you were going, but dark none the less.

Nozz kept himself low as he crept through the hall, making himself hard to spot in the darkness. His eyes were fixed on the dim light coming from a partially open door. As he got closer, voices could be heard.

“What’s going on out there?” The voice was soft, yet held a great deal of authority in it.

“Probably a bunch of drunks got a little rowdy, nothing to worry about.” This voice was a lot gruffer, and almost a bit high-pitched.

Nozz quietly approached the door and peeked in. It was dark, the only forms of furniture he could see were a wooden table and a couple of chairs. The only source of light in the room was an oil lamp, only allowing Nozz to see the occupants sitting at the table. The rest were only dark shadows.

One was a small form with green skin, a purple undershirt and tan armour and helmet. A club rested on the chair. Nozz figured who the figures standing behind him were, a Goblin Attack Force. These guys were normally mercenaries, working for the highest bidder. While they were strong due to their sheer numbers, they were unbelievably slack.

However, it was the second figure that caught Nozz’s attention. At first he thought it was Raelvion, the Dark Magician, but he was corrected when he realized Raelvion didn’t wear silver. He wore a silver jacket with metal plating on it, mainly around the chest, shoulders and neck. He wore a silver pointed hat with metal plating around the base and dark blue pants, complete with metal shin pads and boots. His skin was pale and his blonde hair just reached his shoulders. His eyes were an electric blue.

A Cybernetic Magician. The high level monster Saggi told him about.

While Nozz couldn’t see clearly enough, he thought he saw two figures standing behind him.

“You know,” The goblin spoke, “We don’t normally do escorts. We’re a Goblin ATTACK Force, so we’re mainly trained in attacking, not guarding.”

“I’m well aware of that,” The Cybernetic Magician, “ But I’m also aware that this is a job I doubt any of you would be willing to pass up.”

The goblin thought for a moment.

“What exactly are we getting paid for this?”

The magician didn’t reply. Instead he scribbled something onto a check and handed it to him.

“You’ll get the rest when the job’s done.”

The goblin’s eyes widened at the site. A big grin was plastered on his face.

“It’ll be a pleasure working for you mister Robespierre.”

The Cyber Magician, Robespierre, smirked in response.

“Glad to hear it,” he said, leaning forward to shake the goblin’s hand, “Remember, we leave at five P.M. sharp.”

“No need to worry Mister Robespierre,” the goblin replied, standing up, “We’ll be there.”

Nozz ducked behind the door as the Goblin Attack Force left the room and out into the hall. When they were out of ear shot, he heard another voice, this one sounding a bit younger.

“Are you sure we can trust them?”

“We have nothing to worry about,” Robespierre replied, “They may be lazy, but they’re just what we need.”

Nozz could hear Robespierre rising to his feet.

“Tomorrow gentlemen, we leave for the Pyramid of Light!”

Nozz furrowed his brow and remained hidden as Robespierre and his associates left the room.

Pyramid of Light?

What is this Pyramid of Light? Coming up, Nozz leaves to follow the expedition, accompanied by some unlikely companions. Stick around for chapter 2: “Into the Unknown”

envoy of time
26th November 2006, 11:21 AM
Yay SRN is back with a brand new chapter.So the sphinxes huh?After trying to make a pyramid deck I know that Nozz and the ojamas have their work cut out for them.Keep up the good work.

Dark Sage
26th November 2006, 11:54 AM
Not a bad chapter, except you continually misspelled "warrior". Watch that.

Neos seems to like getting into trouble. He's likley going to get into more of it.

I like the greater variety of monsters you're using. A Cybernetic Magician? I wouldn't have thought of that.

Keep it up... And keep up with your other fic too.

Master of Paradox
26th November 2006, 12:32 PM
Not to completely destroy your story, but I should tell you: the trains in the CSR aren't subway trains. They're an aboveground rail system.

Other than that, however, you're managing to work well with the universe I've created. I applaud you. Nozz seems the sort of nonheroic hero I admire.

I look forward to seeing what becomes of everyone...

Mystic_clown
26th November 2006, 06:20 PM
Oh, sorry about that Paradox. The Core document never really specified what type of railway system it was and since you described the inside as "akin to a human subway" I had pictured the rail system as a subway. Glad you like it though.