PDA

View Full Version : The End of the World (as we know it)

Asilynne
20th October 2011, 08:43 AM
Not talking about REM though :)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44967628?gt1=43001

So apparently the world is going to end again today, the same guy who touted his belief that the rapture was going to happen this May, has said that Oct 21st was the actual day of the rapture. Without getting insulting towards religion (since this guy and people who follow him are a minority and do not reflect the majority of religious people, or at least ME lol) what do you all think of this supposed "Rapture"? With the Mayan prophecy coming up next year, and all of the failed doomsday predictions in the past, what do you think of such things in general?

I think the Rapture is stupid, no one is going to know the time of the end of the world, and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the concept of the Rapture was made up fairly recently, or else interpreted into its current definition.
As far as doomsday prophecies, everyones been wrong so far, and with things like the Mayan calendar which actually have a celestial event corresponding to them, I still don't think it's the "end of the world" persay, but the end of an era, and the beginning of a new one. Every way we humans choose to measure time ends up circling around again. at the end of a day, week, month, year; we do not say "OMG! ITS ENDING SO THE WORLD MUST BE ENDING!" No, there is always a new day, week, month, year right after it. The Long Count Calendar is no different, its just spanning a longer time, one that we cannot count in lifetimes or even generations. What is going to happen has already happened in the past, it just happens to be occuring in our lifetimes.

That being said, I'm not going to be a dumbass and put down my dog because "the rapture" is coming for me, nor am I going to hide in a shelter with canned food in 2012, though in 2012 I am going to have a party :)

Interested to see your thoughts on this as well!

Dark Sage
20th October 2011, 08:50 AM
Not this nonsense again...

I remember the weeks leading up to May 21st. The priest at the church I went to told a story to everyone.

He told me that a member of the congregation, who will go nameless, told him about Camping's prediction, and asked what she should do. The priest said that if the world was ending, she should travel light. He told the woman to give him all of her money and possessions; if the world did not end, he promised he would give them back.

The woman nervously said, "Well gee, Father, I'm not sure I trust you enough to do that."

Then the priest said. "I see... Then why do you trust some guy who you've never met in California who says that the world is coming to an end?"

The priest in my church is a very smart man... False prophets like Camping, on the other hand, are complete idiots.

Jeff
20th October 2011, 09:35 AM
Revelations says that only God knows when the world is going to end, and nobody else, not even Jesus or the angels will know the hour or day. So technically speaking, Camping is a heretic for claiming to know the day the world is ending. If this were the middle ages, he would probably be burned at the stake.

As for the Mayan Calendar. Yeah, I don't believe that either. The predictions of a pole reversal are dumb since that's a long process and not something that happens in a day. Also, it should probably be pointed out that that day doesn't even mark the end of the calendar, but the beginning of a new cycle (the 14th baktun).

Magmar
20th October 2011, 09:43 AM
I was raised in a religious setting in which fear was the rule of the land. The "Rapture" was something that was shoved down our throats day-in, day-out at church and we had to run about and "save" as many people as we can so they don't get "left behind" when Jesus descends upon earth in a big white cloud and steals away all the children, mentally disabled, and WASPs. It was subtle mental terrorism, really, and that's the reality of what happens in these crazy Baptist churches.

That being said, I'm of the opinion that the Rapture is about as real as Santa Claus

shazza
20th October 2011, 10:09 AM
I definitely agree with you, Asilynne. 2012 will certainly not be the end of the world; but, personally, I perceive 2012 as the next stage of our consciousness. This phenomenon has been spiritually professed millenia -- the concept of a cosmic consciousness, Self, Spirituality has professed about a hivemind etc. And we are utilizing science and technology, ironically, to obtain that ancient notion. And we don't even realise it!

DivineAll
20th October 2011, 11:23 AM
Ahem... SIMPSONS DID IT! TWICE! That is all.

classy_cat18
20th October 2011, 11:33 AM
Ugh, this guy is giving Christians a bad name. It's ironic that he's getting these "facts" from hidden meanings in the Bible, when that same book states that NO ONE is supposed to know when Rapture is.

Dark Sage
20th October 2011, 11:43 AM
Ugh, this guy is giving Christians a bad name. It's ironic that he's getting these "facts" from hidden meanings in the Bible, when that same book states that NO ONE is supposed to know when Rapture is.

There is no "Rapture". Read the Book of Revelations from beginning to end, and I guaruntee you'll find no mention of such of thing.

There's no mention in it of a global earthquake or any other mention of the specifics on how the world will physically end. Just a lot of stuff surrounding how Christ will come again in the hour of Judgment.

classy_cat18
20th October 2011, 11:51 AM
In Genesis there is some mention that the world would end in fire.

Dark Sage
20th October 2011, 11:56 AM
Yes, I believe God told Noah that if He wanted to destroy the world again, he would use fire instead of water. However, the Book of Revelations, that goes into the most detail about Judgment Day (which is in the New Testament) does not go into detail.

classy_cat18
20th October 2011, 12:02 PM
I stand corrected. Now back to topic. I read that a few weeks after his last prediction turned out to be false, he suffered from a stroke. Wonder what will happen when Friday comes and goes without a hitch?

Magmar
20th October 2011, 01:36 PM
He'll die :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture
Apparently, the rapture is an idea that is about as old as the USA. As such, considering it's a modern invention, and the "Rapture" does not exist in the Bible, I conclude it is nothing more than a scare tactic to generate "believers."

Blademaster
20th October 2011, 02:09 PM
Not talking about REM though :)

Z0GFRcFm-aY

We are now.

Shadow Wolf
20th October 2011, 02:26 PM
Hmm.... I have some beliefs respecting this topic, but I would prefer not to enter into religious debates, as they usually cause too much controversy.

Let's use a bit of "logic" here. Now this guy says the world will end tomorrow... OK, let us look at the facts about the future of the earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth#Future)

If you notice, the article states that the earth will last millions of years. Why would it be destroyed tomorrow?

OK, let's say that the humans are responsible (and not all of them)

The let's use some "logic" again....

Suppose you have an apartment building. You spent some time building it (or buying it), and fixing it. Now you have it for rent. you have 5 people living here. Out of those five, only two of them are being responsible with both payment and taking care of their apartments. The other three are doing the opposite: they do not take care of their apartments, they throw a lot of trash, and they cause problems to the two tenants who are responsible.

Are you going to destroy your apartment complex because of this?

...Well, I think you know the answer right? Well, in my opinion, I don't think the earth is going to be destroyed anytime soon, so HC, take care of your health, because another stroke will be very bad for your health.

Knight of Time
20th October 2011, 02:27 PM
This end of the world stuff has to be as fictional as the end of the world if you let 72 hours pass in a certain Zelda game...in other words, I'm in no mood to ever believe the world will end...it's just pure nonsense.

The world can end in a video game, but in real life...it's not happening.

Blademaster
20th October 2011, 02:39 PM
This end of the world stuff has to be as fictional as the end of the world if you let 72 hours pass in a certain Zelda game...in other words, I'm in no mood to ever believe the world will end...it's just pure nonsense.

The world can end in a video game, but in real life...it's not happening.

Ahem. (http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm)

Asilynne
20th October 2011, 08:47 PM
Well it turns out since I'm on a night shift I was wrong about him saying its today, its actually tomorrow (Friday). Looks like that jesuswatch website gets some more use tomorrow XD

I think it would be weird if instead of him predicting the worldwide end of the world, if he is actually 'predicting' the end of his world, like if he actually.....died tomorrow o.o Not wishing that on anyone but man that would be ironic and a little scary :x lol

DivineAll
20th October 2011, 10:56 PM
I just checked everyone's favorite search engine Google because it has to be October 21st somewhere in the world, and it turns out that Camping is wrong... again. What's more that he won't talk to the media either out of pride or acceptance that he was wrong. If you're wrong 3 times in a row, and I'm counting the one in 1994, then you should admit you don't know any thing about the time of the end of all existence.

mattbcl
20th October 2011, 11:06 PM
Really don't have anything substantive to add, everyone's pretty much said what I say to the subject. So I will simply do this throughout Friday.

:rolleyes:

Dark Sage
21st October 2011, 06:37 AM
I just woke up, like I always do at 7:30 AM, here in New York City.

The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, the electricity still works, the guy at the newspaper stand is still there...

Seems life goes on.

Telume
21st October 2011, 06:42 AM
Well... I don't know about you guys but if the world goes round... I'm going to work. Peace.

Gavin Luper
21st October 2011, 07:20 AM
Pretty sure it's now Saturday in New Zealand. How many epic fails can this dude have?

Dark Sage
21st October 2011, 07:24 AM
People will stop listening to him eventually. Just like Jim and Tammy Fae Bakker fell out of popularity.

Gavin Luper
21st October 2011, 07:35 AM
I guess the fact that I don't know who they are proves your statement. :keke:

Dark Sage
21st October 2011, 07:40 AM
They were televangelists who were popular a long time ago in America. He went to jail for fraud, she divorced him.

That's the jist of it.

Asilynne
21st October 2011, 07:45 AM
Anyone get Raptured yet? No? That's what I thought lol

Gavin Luper
21st October 2011, 08:11 AM
Not to alarm anyone, but Rapture is happening RIGHT NOW.

I just filmed this from my front window:

pHCdS7O248g

Link
21st October 2011, 08:15 AM
I got raptured. I am posting from the rapturemobile and Jesus says "LOL, Camping did it again lol!!"

Magmar
21st October 2011, 10:55 AM
People will stop listening to him eventually. Just like Jim and Tammy Fae Bakker fell out of popularity.

There's a documentary on Netflix all about Jim Baker and the televangelism scams. It's instant queue and a good watch!

DarkestLight
21st October 2011, 11:31 AM
o.O Yeah, lol @ Rapture. I'm gonna make freestyles all day talking about how the world hasn't ended yet.

Crystal Tears
21st October 2011, 03:33 PM
Ignorance is bliss, I didn't know shit about the world ending until I saw this topic... today.

Honestly, I don't think it's going to end. It's like a distinctly bad, abrupt ending to a story and it's way to easy (whether it's poles shifting, rapture, comet/meteor/otherspacefaringrock, black hole, solar flare, nuclear war/someothertypeofwar, super volcano, or any other god damn reason we might die).

If I'm wrong well, damn... At least I won't be around to hear those paranoid people go on about how they were right. Them livin' in their bunkers and all.

In regards to the Mayan calender or whatever, it's a rock. Surely they just ran out of room.

Gavin Luper
21st October 2011, 11:01 PM
Ignorance is bliss, I didn't know shit about the world ending until I saw this topic... today.

Honestly, I don't think it's going to end. It's like a distinctly bad, abrupt ending to a story and it's way to easy (whether it's poles shifting, rapture, comet/meteor/otherspacefaringrock, black hole, solar flare, nuclear war/someothertypeofwar, super volcano, or any other god damn reason we might die).

If I'm wrong well, damn... At least I won't be around to hear those paranoid people go on about how they were right. Them livin' in their bunkers and all.

In regards to the Mayan calender or whatever, it's a rock. Surely they just ran out of room.

I love this post in so many ways.

I concur, that would be the most unfulfilling conclusion to a story EVER. "Everyone in the world was having a normal day, then BAM! Rapture. The End lol."

Shadow Wolf
22nd October 2011, 12:58 AM
Yesterday: I went to my buddy's house to play Brawl and Double Dash... on night, I watched Real Steel, went to eat at Wendy's....

Today: It's 1:59 am of October 22nd, 2011. I turned on my laptop, logged onto TPM, saw new posts at the forums...

...in conclusion...

I'M NOT DEAD YET!!! :D

Crystal Mew
22nd October 2011, 03:07 AM
ah, so it's the 22nd. wonder what that loon thinks now!

Magmar
22nd October 2011, 01:30 PM
http://gawker.com/5803950/what-to-do-when-the-rapture-doesnt-happen-a-guide-for-believers

"Camping's church has amassed a net worth of $72 million with this end-of-the-world scam, and he's not offering refunds."
-_-

DarkestLight
22nd October 2011, 01:46 PM
Brilliant scam sir!!! If only i was that smart :/

Blademaster
22nd October 2011, 08:05 PM
I have conclusive evidence that the world will end on Thanksgiving of this year. For information on how you can be saved, please send $50 in unmarked bills to the address listed at the bottom of my website: www.suckerborneveryminute.notascam.org

classy_cat18
22nd October 2011, 08:40 PM
I have conclusive evidence that the world will end on Thanksgiving of this year. For information on how you can be saved, please send $50 in unmarked bills to the address listed at the bottom of my website: www.suckerborneveryminute.notascam.org

Crap, I'm broke. Do you take souls?

Gavin Luper
22nd October 2011, 09:21 PM
Crap, I'm broke. Do you take souls?

XD

This, plus Blade's post, equals WIN.

Dark Sage
23rd October 2011, 10:59 AM
To everyone who believes anything that people like Camping say...

I live in Brooklyn, and there's a bridge near my house that I'd be willing to sell for cheap. E-mail me with offers.

Blademaster
23rd October 2011, 05:21 PM
I will offer you classy_cat18's soul for that bridge, sir.