PDA

View Full Version : Sudoku puzzles...who likes doing them here?

Knight of Time
1st November 2011, 09:48 AM
Hi guys,

So recently I began to do some serious thinking about one of my favourite kinds of word puzzles, namely Sudoku, and I wanted to ask, is there anyone here who likes to do these puzzles, possibly including one of the many variants besides the standard version?

I myself have done them for a few years now, doing puzzles such as:

-standard (where 1-9 must go in every row, column, and 3 x 3 box)
-extreme (puzzles that include the X factor where the two diagonals must also have 1-9)
-jigsaw (puzzles similar to standard Sudoku, that have irregular shaped areas instead of 3 x 3 boxes; however, some puzzles of this variety might have 1 or 2 of the 3 x 3 boxes)
-mega (these ones go from 1-16; I usually see these with the X factor added, but it's possible for these to not have the X factor as well)
-samurai (where 5 standard Sudoku grids overlap, in an X shape of sorts)

Anyway, how many of you guys like Sudoku, or have tried one of the puzzles before?

Kuro Espeon
1st November 2011, 11:59 AM
I LOVE Sudoku puzzles! And I'm actually really good at them. The only ones that have proven to be a real challenge to me are the Samurai Sudokus, but that's only because they're so intricate and they take longer to do. I enjoy puzzles like that, it's a good workout for your brain. :3

Magmar
1st November 2011, 12:08 PM
I just recently downloaded a sudoku app and rekindled my love for sudoku. Haven't tried any unconventional ones other than ordinary sudoku puzzles, but I'm sure I can find them online.

ChobiChibi
1st November 2011, 01:59 PM
It's been a long time since I've done a sudoku, but my dad does atleast one every day from the newspaper. He also does it in Japanese, so that my mum can't place random numbers in there for him :)

mattbcl
1st November 2011, 02:17 PM
I used to do the Sudoku puzzles in the newspaper, but I don't subscribe anymore so it's been a while. Put one in front of me and I'll figure it out, though.

I do have a Sudoku Rubik's cube. It's insanely hard but great brain-training. The greater difficulty is in the fact that for a standard Rubik's cube, there are actually many solutions - the middle pieces are a solid color and so as long as they're where they're supposed to be, happily ensconsed amongst their appropriate colors, they're never twisted in the wrong position. Sudoku cubes aren't that simple. There's only ONE solution for them.

Zak
1st November 2011, 02:38 PM
Sudoku are nice, and I get how they can be fun... but I dunno, never really found them all that addicting. Which is weird, because I'm a math/logic person and I'm normally into puzzles and stuff, but I guess Sudoku seems too.. easy, and I don't really feel much of a sense of completion when I finish them.

But as far as puzzles and thinking that I do enjoy:
-Crosswords, they increase my vocabulary and make me think.
-"Mind Bender" puzzles... not sure what the official name is, but like the ones where you get like a few sets of subjects and you use clues to find out what goes with what... like for instance, five people, five different colored houses, five jobs they each have, and their last names... those.
-"False logic" I think it's called... where you get a bunch of people making statements and some premises and you have to find out who's telling the truth, who's lying, who's the killer, etc.

As well as a few more but those stand out most.

Knight of Time
1st November 2011, 03:32 PM
Sudoku are nice, and I get how they can be fun... but I dunno, never really found them all that addicting. Which is weird, because I'm a math/logic person and I'm normally into puzzles and stuff, but I guess Sudoku seems too.. easy, and I don't really feel much of a sense of completion when I finish them.

But as far as puzzles and thinking that I do enjoy:
-Crosswords, they increase my vocabulary and make me think.
-"Mind Bender" puzzles... not sure what the official name is, but like the ones where you get like a few sets of subjects and you use clues to find out what goes with what... like for instance, five people, five different colored houses, five jobs they each have, and their last names... those.
-"False logic" I think it's called... where you get a bunch of people making statements and some premises and you have to find out who's telling the truth, who's lying, who's the killer, etc.

As well as a few more but those stand out most.

Hmm, these "mind bender" puzzles you're talking about sound like logic problems to me, Zak...where you have to use a dot to represent a "yes" on the grid, and X's to represent "no" on the grid, according to the clues (as well as additional facts that you can deduce by combining the information from two or more clues)...I've done those before myself, solving some successfully while getting stuck with other ones, the real troublesome ones in this category (for me, anyway), are the table puzzles, where the information has to be entered into a table, not using dots or X's at all...they can be quite hard.

DivineAll
1st November 2011, 03:40 PM
I'm more a casual fan of Sudoku doing mainly standard puzzles, but I've heard from one of my cousins that there exists Sudoku Rubix cubes. I still don't know how exactly they should work, but it seems like the ultimate challenge for puzzle gamers out there.

Magmar
1st November 2011, 04:19 PM
I do have a Sudoku Rubik's cube. It's insanely hard but great brain-training. The greater difficulty is in the fact that for a standard Rubik's cube, there are actually many solutions - the middle pieces are a solid color and so as long as they're where they're supposed to be, happily ensconsed amongst their appropriate colors, they're never twisted in the wrong position. Sudoku cubes aren't that simple. There's only ONE solution for them.

I have one of those, too! It's hard because the numbers have to go in the same direction, too. I love tinkering with it.

Lady Vulpix
1st November 2011, 05:55 PM
I like Sudoku in most of its variants. Programming Sudoku solvers is also interesting, even if you have to approach the game in a completely different way. But playing it is more fun, and I do it when I want to clear my mind away of all my worries. I sometimes play the Action Sudoku game on Facebook too. It's an interesting variant.

Katie
1st November 2011, 06:23 PM
I don't do them, but I do enjoy the way professors pronounce the word when they want to bitch someone out for doing them in class. Sokudu, soduku, soduki... I'm with Zak, I prefer crosswords.

Blademaster
1st November 2011, 06:43 PM
Math is probably the one intelligent thing I'm good at, so yeah, sudoku comes easy to me. But I've only played the standard 3x3 variety...