PDA

View Full Version : Television

Andrew
2nd November 2011, 04:19 AM
So TPM, share some of your favourite shows out atm and why.

I'm a fan of The Walking Dead.

1OZ0mu8Ey6A

It's the zombie apocalypse. That's all.

The show does drag when people just talk. But it still has some amazing moments.

We've all imagined ourselves in a zombie apocalypse, but let's be honest, we'd probably suicide without the internet.

Magmar
2nd November 2011, 09:29 AM
I enjoy True Blood, Law & Order SVU, House, Intervention<333 haha I'm weird, and South Park.... ...ooh, new south park tonight!

Pichu Luver
2nd November 2011, 10:34 AM
I am a fan of Castle for the humour and hijinks that can ensue. I also enjoy Revenge and watching how she goes about getting back at the Hamptonites. Person of Interest I also find interesting to watch, though not as much as I enjoy the other two. Mike and Molly can be pretty funny, though I would prefer to watch Franklin and Bash, but the tv is not mine to control at that time *shake fist*

MToolen
2nd November 2011, 02:20 PM
Yes, I know Unforgettable is a gimmick show, but I enjoy it.

Also, Phineas and Ferb. It has writing staff from early Family Guy on a children's show. Best not-quite-for-kids show since Freakazoid!.

My viewing options have gone far downhill since getting married (and, therefore, losing cable). With Netflix, I'm catching up on Discovery/History "reality" shows (Pawn Stars, Deadliest Catch, American Pickers, and now A&E's Storage Wars), mid-90's animation (ReBoot, X-Men, Spiderman), and the original Addams Family sitcom. I do wish they had CSI, Batman:TAS, and Cartoon Network shows, but they keep me content for the most part.

The show I want to watch on cable the most? The Aquabats Super Show.

Magmar
2nd November 2011, 02:33 PM
THE AQUABATS ARE COMING OUT WITH A SHOW???
And it's by the Yo Gabba Gabba crew?

I <3 the Aquabats, haha *skanks around room to Pizza Day*
actually *is too sick to get out of bed* is more precise

Blademaster
2nd November 2011, 02:46 PM
I watch............ cartoons.

DarkestLight
2nd November 2011, 03:19 PM
Terra Nova.
New Thundercats
Man V Food (Well most of the Travel Channel food shows really..)
..That's all that come to mind, I catch things like Walking Dead/SVU/CI when I can. Otherwise, yeah, I'm too busy being outside, damn it all :/..oh and Tosh.0

mattbcl
2nd November 2011, 04:35 PM
Also, Phineas and Ferb. It has writing staff from early Family Guy on a children's show. Best not-quite-for-kids show since Freakazoid!.

[...] mid-90's animation (ReBoot, X-Men, Spiderman), and the original Addams Family sitcom. I do wish they had CSI, Batman:TAS, and Cartoon Network shows, but they keep me content for the most part.

All of this, so very much. The Spider-Man series was absolutely epic. I have the full X-Men series on DVD and I watch it every so often. My parents have the full series of The West Wing and I end up stealing a season or two from them pretty much every month - I can't stop watching it, I must have my fix of intelligent and witty writing.

The_Missing_Link
2nd November 2011, 07:29 PM
I'll go by weekday, since it's easier to keep track of:

Monday
- How I Met Your Mother - Awesome casting, good storylines. Initially got hooked on Ted, stayed for the others
- 2 Broke Girls - I like Kat Dennings's sense of humor and everyone makes me laugh (save for Han)
- Castle - It's Nathan Fillion. Why wouldn't you watch him?
- Adventure Time - Awesome cartoon with twisted humor
- Dancing With the Stars - It's schlocky but I love it

Tuesday
- Glee - Not so great right now but I stay in hopes of it getting better with its storylines
- New Girl - It's cute and makes me smile
- Raising Hope - Definitely an underrated show. Great cast, love the comedy

Wednesday
- The Middle - Another underrated show with good casting
- Suburgatory - Alan Tudyk is one of my favorite actors and I'm glad he's on a show that's actually good and has already been picked up for another season. Already doing better than Firefly
- Modern Family - Very funny show. No weak link whatsoever
- Top Chef - One of the few competition shows that's legit and continues to be good season after season
- Psych - Good, fluffy fun. Love the whole cast

Thursday
- Community - One of the shows that people should be watching but aren't. Amazing pop culture references, solid casting, absurd plot lines that shouldn't work but does. It can be too offbeat for most, but I'm glad it's been on as long as it has
- Parks and Recreation - Another show people should be watching but aren't. Cast is perfect, has heart, and is consistently funny. First season wasn't good and I expected it to be canceled but I'm glad it wasn't
- Big Bang Theory - I DVR this but I think it's cute. I'm a geek so I can relate
- The Office - Not as good as it used to be but I stick with it out of habit
- 30 Rock - Love the humor. Has gone downhill since first two seasons but it's still better than some shows out there
- Project Runway - Definitely not as good as it used to be but it's another one I stick with out of habit

Friday
- Say Yes to the Dress - I'm a girl. Deal with it
- Four Weddings - Same as above

Saturday
- Saturday Night Live - Started watching religiously since 2001 and I don't think I'll ever stop

Sunday
- The Amazing Race - A good way to see different countries if you're too broke/lazy/afraid to fly

I also watch Futurama, Ugly Americans, the Sunday night Fox animated lineup when I get around to it, America's Funniest Home Videos, shows on HGTV, and a variety of others

DarkestLight
2nd November 2011, 08:03 PM
I forgot about the Amazing race. That's my show!!!

kurai
2nd November 2011, 09:03 PM
i watch a bunch of tv shows

i review 1-5 episodes of every new series that arrives each season
this season has been quite disappointing with very few pickups but whatever

of those which are currently airing that i find worthy of watching:

boardwalk empire
- excellent story telling, characterization. truly warrants the Cable Series label.

dexter
- still worth watching in its later seasons, not nearly as fresh as it used to be, but its seasonal arcs remain engaging

house
- this show is rather terrible... but i am accustomed to its formula and it amuses me.

the walking dead
- excellent atmosphere and dramatic timing.

that's basically it as far as 40 minute dramas go. i'm also hopeful that the new series homeland will turn out to be good, but i have not watched more than the pilot. i've mostly let myself fall into 20-minute sitcoms (they are comfy and easy to wear).

archer
- absurdist cartoon with excellent dialogue

community
- by far my favourite television show at the moment. lots of episodes are intensely gimmicky, but this manages to make sense given the characters they have developed. this show is also sometimes super-meta as a result.

fresh meat
- 40 minute uk series. top notch characters. an interesting look into 'foreign' comedy.

happy endings
- badly named. i really thought it would just be interpersonal drama and stereotyping at the start of its first season, but damon wayans jr. saved the show early on. really good as far as a '20-something group of friends' series goes.

how i met your mother
- i am easily trapped into continuing to watch shows to find the resolution to their Big Question. NPH allows laughs each week, so it might as well remain in my lineup.

modern family
- this show only promises to get better with the development of lily into a real character. it is wacky but remains believable enough (suffers slightly from being bourgeois as heck).

parks and recreation
- ron swanson.

suburgatory
- this series is essentially the film mean girls in sitcom format. i'm not sure if it will develop beyond the first season, but it is cute in its depiction of suburban stereotypes.

the big bang theory
- nerd fanservice.

the office
- i do not have an excuse for this. basically i will continue watching any 20 minute sitcom well past its expiration date as long as it provides a couple weekly laughs.

the simpsons
- habitual need to watch every new episode

workaholics
- a very juvenile series. possible appeal to south park/drug humor fans.

i also watch every episode of the daily show and the colbert report as background noise.

of shows from the summer season which have recently ended:

breaking bad
- probably my favourite ongoing drama series. watch this show above all others.

curb your enthusiasm
- larry david is a pretty funny guy.

futurama
- not as good as it used to be.

game of thrones
- maximum quality production. i already knew i would like this series, so it shouldn't really count...

louie
- if modern life involves despair and absurdity, louie will reveal the awkward comedy within (probably the funniest individual show out of this entire lot)

true blood
- i'm basically the worst. i like a dramatic series that involves a rich mythology.

shows which have not yet resumed:

30 rock:
- tina fey's pregnancy has robbed me of my regular alec baldwin infusion

bones
- formulaic background noise. i guess it starts again tomorrow.

Crystal Mew
2nd November 2011, 09:59 PM
how i met your mother - started watching it last year, finally got caught up. I really like the show, I think it's funny. and all the characters have the same sort of sense of humor I do, so why not watch it?

the office- haven't watched the new episodes, but I'm in love with Jim so I like the show. ha.

dexter - just started watching this show, LOVE IT. I love crime shows, and this show is just awesome imo.

the first 48 - like I said... I like crime shows.

and randomly I'll watch whatever is on. say yes to the dress, tough love, cake boss, whatever.

firepokemon
3rd November 2011, 05:24 AM
Game of Thrones
Broadwalk Empire
Downton Abbey
Underbelly Razor
Winners & Losers
Coronation Street
Shortland Street
Home & Away
America's Next Top Model
The Amazing Race
Project Runway
Top Chef
Any of the Kardashians series
Parenthood
The Walking Dead
The Bill (we're still getting new episodes as way behind)
Desperate Housewives
True Blood
Treme
The Killing
Poirot
Marple
Midsomer Murders
Lewis
New Zealand's Next Top Model
Masterchef NZ
How To Make It In America
Spartacus
Misfits
Pretty Little Liars
The Hour

ChobiChibi
3rd November 2011, 07:51 AM
You watch Coronation Street?! That airs outside of England?! Woah, just woah.

Katie
3rd November 2011, 11:46 PM
The only two shows that are current that I make time for happen to be at the exact same time. Happy we opted for DVR.

How I Met Your Mother: I've been catching up via Netflix and internet up until this season, where I'm finally getting to see them live. I like every character except Ted, I'm not sure that's how it's supposed to happen. Robin and Barney need to gtf back together already.

The Sing-Off: My boyfriend's old a capella group (and therefor several of my friends) were invited by whoever talent-searches for this show to audition in Nashville this summer but didn't make the cut. I was super pissed and wanted to see who DID make the cut so I started watching. Angry that some of these groups made it instead of them, but I have a huge ladyboner for the group Pentatonix. 5 members who somehow have perfect blend, and create awesome studio effects live. Now I've purchased their songs and listen to basically TV-soundtrack in my free time. Seriously, if you have speakers worth a damn (for the bass) listen to Love Lockdown.

Archer is my other current show I love, but gotta wait til January for more :(

Crystal Mew
3rd November 2011, 11:50 PM
How I Met Your Mother: I've been catching up via Netflix and internet up until this season, where I'm finally getting to see them live. I like every character except Ted, I'm not sure that's how it's supposed to happen. Robin and Barney need to gtf back together already.

I hope they get back together too. People keep thinking he'll be with Nora for forever, but come on...he's already annoyed with her, it can't last!

Becky
4th November 2011, 04:44 PM
A lot of what Missing_Link said is what I like too actually! XD I'm pretty behind on shows but I've been keeping up with Say Yes to the Dress (And I do have my dress!!!) and Four Weddings. Occasionally I've watched Bridezillas but sometimes it's a little too much!

I actually can't stand The Big Bang Theory. I know a lot of people like it but I can't seem to get into it at all.