PDA

View Full Version : Do Charizard, Victreebel, & Wobbuffet disobey because they are traded?

Bacl
2nd May 2003, 05:15 PM
I know that Charizard and Victrebell are not actual factual trades, but Ash is not Charizard's (er...Charmander's) original trainer...and no one has any clue where James got Victreebel prior to that episode where he finds it in the daycare center and claims it's his (I doubt it really was. Victreebel may be the only Pokemon Team Rocket ever succesfully stole...).

My point is that Charizard, Victreebel and Wobbuffet don't exactly obey their trainers (well Charizard now does, but he sure as heck didn't for a looong time). Is this because of bad trainers (Ash was a worse trainer way back then, and Jessie and James are two lousy trainers...if you'd even call them that) or because they are not their respective Pokemon's original trainer?

I can see both sides of the fence. On the one hand we all saw Wobbuffet before it was traded, and it seemed to be a VERY well trained Pokemon. This would support that it simply misbehaves (comming out of the Pokeball all the time, more or less doing what it wants despite Jessie's orders) because Jessie is not it's original trainer and has no badges.

On the other hand we have the example of Ash's Primeape. Ash caught it fair and square, and it never listened until the very end. This suggests that the trading rules of the video game probobly don't apply at all to the anime.

Hanada Tattsu
2nd May 2003, 05:53 PM
Well, I see where you're going with this, and you do have a point.

But I think Charmeleon and Charizard didn't listen to Ash because of the fact that he wasn't experienced enough. Charmander, on the other hand, was very loyal and loving to Ash.

Victreebell and Wobuffet, don't listen because of the fact that Jessie and James are very lousy trainers. I don't think badges or training matters.

BenRG
3rd May 2003, 12:16 PM
I think it is partly to do with their status as traded Pokémon. However, it goes beyond just that to their lack of respect for their Trainers. The exception to the rule is Wobbuffet who just wants to be helpful (like Chikorita; she always got out of her PokéBall too, remember?).

In the case of Victreebell, I think that there might be a little cross-species romance going on here. She loves James and wants to be near him; To love him, comfort him... and digest him. :o

Rocketa
3rd May 2003, 12:36 PM
I really don't think that's the reason. As mentioned before, Ash was very inexperienced and that usually makes a pokemon care less about its trainer. Pikachu was the same way before it realized that Ash was willing to do almost anything to help and protect it. Same happened with Charizard.

Wobbuffet and Victreebell, well...that's another story. James just doesn't know how to train it. Even if he did steal it, he could have gotten it to listen to him by now, but he is such a pushover (love him, but we know he is ;) ) that he isn't firm with it. He just gets angry at it once in a while but mostly he just asks it to please stop eating him. And I don't think Victreebell likes James that way. In fact, I think it just likes to eat things. It chews on Jessie and Meowth and even other pokemon now and then as well.

Wobbuffet on the other hand, I think it is very faithful to Jessie no matter what. When we first met Wobbuffet he was very serious and calm. He didn't display much of the lovingness he does now. Makes me wonder what kind of a trainer Benny was. Was the kid too strict with Wobb? I think Wobbuffet never really knew the conditions under which it was traided. Wobb could see that no one wanted him and that probably hurt him. Then one second he is back in his ball and the next he is part of TR. During his first fight with Ash, Jessie and the others were cheering him on, so much he saluted happily for the first time (which totally won me over). I think after hanging with TR for a while made him realize he didn't have to be serious all the time and that he could bend his own rules. I don't think he hates them at all. I think if given a choice he would stay with Jessie. I also think he has a little crush on her, but that's just my opinion.

And there is just one person's opinion.

Snakes N' Legends
3rd May 2003, 05:23 PM
I guess that is true, but you seem to be forgetting one pokemon into this theory.

PSYDUCK!!!

Psyduck used pop out of Misty's pokeball just like Wobbuffet pops out of Jessie's Pokeball. I mean the only time it actually helps out when it got headaches. Psyduck has always popped out of its pokeball when Misty doesn't want it to. From the day she caught it to the end of Johto Journies. Though I don't know if it still disobeys her. We haven't seen Psyduck since A Perfect Match (well, that's when I last saw him in a Pokemon Episode.)

Hanada Tattsu
3rd May 2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Snakes N' Legends
I guess that is true, but you seem to be forgetting one pokemon into this theory.

PSYDUCK!!!

Psyduck used pop out of Misty's pokeball just like Wobbuffet pops out of Jessie's Pokeball. I mean the only time it actually helps out when it got headaches. Psyduck has always popped out of its pokeball when Misty doesn't want it to. From the day she caught it to the end of Johto Journies. Though I don't know if it still disobeys her. We haven't seen Psyduck since A Perfect Match (well, that's when I last saw him in a Pokemon Episode.)

Yeah, but Psyduck was never traded.

Misty caught Psyduck herself, so it doesn't really apply to the rule in that sense. Psyduck seems to not come out of its Pokeball as often as it did in Indigo or early Johto, so it seems Misty has tried to train it somewhat.