PDA

View Full Version : Next step after GBA

Vchat20
2nd May 2003, 06:14 PM
I was doing some nice long hard thinking and thought about the next hanheld after GBA. you think in comparing consoles to handhelds, this is how it has been going in terms of the technology behind them

NES-GB/GBC
SNES-GBA

so in theory, one would think that th next step would be a handheld with similar tech to the N64. anyone agree on this? personally I would love to see Mario Kart 64 go to handheld.

Ghost
2nd May 2003, 06:22 PM
Really, Doesn't this belong in Video Games?

Vchat20
2nd May 2003, 06:24 PM
sorry. was not sure exactly.

Drago
2nd May 2003, 11:43 PM
Most likely it does belong in vg, but still. It's an interesting thought.

However, I'm somewhat sceptical as to the GB going N64-standard too soon.
I mean, the GBC was just a clearer GB with colour, no? So with the GBA's capabilities, its most likely there's going to be something in between (unless you consider that to be the SP), something that isn't so much a completely new technology, rather, an improved one that has better standards.
What I'm basically saying here is that there could be an N64-standard GB, but its not going to be the next one.
Fingers crossed for a portable Virtual Boy? ...If you want to be shot, perhaps. ^^;
Then again, the GBA seems to be better than the VB, if I'm not mistaken... (well, besides the obvious inclusion of colour)

Vchat20
2nd May 2003, 11:51 PM
Well certainly I dont see the VB coming back in any form anytime soon. it was just a total peice of crap IMO.

maybe a possible next version would be like the one prtable Sega system (forgot the name, but was pretty much an exact copy of the genesis), or would that pretty much match up to the GBA?

well, if an N64-ish handheld is not the exact next in line, then I would hope to see something with some kind of decent 3D capability.

PNT510
3rd May 2003, 02:46 AM
Who says Nintendo will even make one? It took Nintendo years to make the jump from GB/GBC up to advance. It should be a long time before they come out with a new gameboy.

Andrew
3rd May 2003, 04:21 AM
Well lets have a look at all the different GB's

1) The original GB - If you can find these chunky monkeys, kudos.
2) Game Boy Pocket - Slimmer, easier to see and less battery consumption
3) Game Boy Colour - Quite Lame really, I'd say *Owns one* no real defining features apart from teh kahool colours and such.
4) Game Boy Advance - I'd probably coin this as a backwards step for nintendo in design.
5) Game Boy Advance SP - Shiny, sheek, and I'd class it as the one to get for at least the next 3-5 years.

Well if Nintendo releases another GB incarnation playing big N64 games on it, its going to be hell... playing something like Zelda on a tiny screen, won't work. Tetrisphere yes, but Goldeneye no. The fact that so much can happen in a 3d world requires much more than a tiny screen can provide and plus your eyes will want to run away from your sockets.

So if Nintendo takes the step we expect them to, it will take them a very long time, the screen will be tiny and not suited to it and we'll get a lot of the ****ty N64 games like Aiden *Shudders* um... there's way too many to list... iggy's wrecking balls too...

I don't mean to be the podantic *****, but please give this the hoick over to VG.

Gligar_Man
3rd May 2003, 04:27 AM
wasnt there talks about sony creating a handheld gaming system? featuring a 5x5 inch luminous screen? i dunno, am i wrong? has anyone heard any more rumors abuot this

Andrew
3rd May 2003, 04:45 AM
Sony created a Pocket Pikachu looking thing where it was um.. raising your street fighter and battling them... from what I saw it looked crap and I don't think it was released outside of Japan. That was way back when like 3-4 years ago *Shrugs*

Gligar_Man
3rd May 2003, 05:03 AM
yeah ive heard of that but they were gonna make one with minidiscs, lol (silly sony) that is a handheld gaming system and i think it promised console like gaming

ILikePokemonP
3rd May 2003, 05:44 AM
I want the next GameBoy to have a built in TV tuner *drools*

Razola
3rd May 2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by OzAndrew
Well lets have a look at all the different GB's

1) The original GB - If you can find these chunky monkeys, kudos.
2) Game Boy Pocket - Slimmer, easier to see and less battery consumption
3) Game Boy Color - Quite Lame really, I'd say *Owns one* no real defining features apart from teh kahool colours and such.
4) Game Boy Advance - I'd probably coin this as a backwards step for nintendo in design.
5) Game Boy Advance SP - Shiny, sheek, and I'd class it as the one to get for at least the next 3-5 years.

So if Nintendo takes the step we expect them to, it will take them a very long time, the screen will be tiny and not suited to it and we'll get a lot of the ****ty N64 games like Aiden *Shudders* um... there's way too many to list... iggy's wrecking balls too...

I don't mean to be the podantic *****, but please give this the hoick over to VG.

Game Boy Color actually had had a bit more power than the GBP and the ol' GB. I don't think a lot of games took advantage of it (but you'd never be able to port Super Mario Bros. to the old Game Boys) because a of GBC games were crap.

The reason for the decade-long delay in a real bump up in Game Boy power (rather than the Pocket and Color baby steps) was because after 10 years, the dang thing was still extremely profitable. And with such a massive user base, popular games like Pokemon easily helped fill up the Nintendo vault.

There's plenty of N64 games worth porting...Mario 64, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, and Zelda to name a few. The only problem I could forsee is that the screen would be way too small for 3-D games. I like the GBA because it forces developers to stick with 2D gaming, an area I feel was abandoned too early to jump on the next trend.

ILikePokemonP
3rd May 2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Raz

The reason for the decade-long delay in a real bump up in Game Boy power (rather than the Pocket and Color baby steps) was because after 10 years, the dang thing was still extremely profitable. And with such a massive user base, popular games like Pokemon easily helped fill up the Nintendo vault.
I heard it was because Nintendo said a colour screen would eat batteries too quickly. Btw, my first GameBoy was a Gbc.

Cammy White
3rd May 2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by ILikePokemon:P
I want the next GameBoy to have a built in TV tuner *drools*

You can buy something that turns your GBA into a portable TV but it's like £60 i think.

Vchat20
3rd May 2003, 09:51 PM
well, if an n64-ish Gameboy was made the onyl thing that would be worried about is none of the N64 games could be ported, but instead new ones made specifically to work on the tiny screen.

Ultimate Charizard
8th May 2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by ILikePokemon:P
I heard it was because Nintendo said a colour screen would eat batteries too quickly. Btw, my first GameBoy was a Gbc.

*See 'Death of the Gamegear'*

The GG Sucked batteries dry faster than a texan in a BBQ sauce factory. My friend had one and he was always changing batteries....it took 6 by the way. My old Black and White brick only needed 4 and lasted way longer, with the jump to 2 batteries and a smaller machine it just streamlined it and improved screen quality, then they advanced it to a colour screen and then actually boosted its abilities for the GBA. SP is just a redesign of the normal GBA. They wanted to accomodate the backlit feature and decided to make it stand out from a normal GBA.