PDA

View Full Version : MegaUpload shut down. Hackers hit back.

Telume
19th January 2012, 08:28 PM
Source: http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/megaupload-founder-arrested-in-nz-site-shut-down-4694527

Holy crap!

Discuss!

mattbcl
19th January 2012, 09:05 PM
... To be perfectly honest, until I read the article, I had never heard of MegaUpload.

That aside, I'm really not sure who Anonymous thinks they're benefitting by "taking revenge" for MegaUpload's shutdown. It strikes me as a knee-jerk, attention-whoring reaction from genius-level people who, sadly, never learned to control their tempers.

Roy Karrde
19th January 2012, 09:32 PM
Wow I never thought Anonymous could become even worse scum bags but...

The hacktivist collective Anonymous is in the middle of a huge revenge spree after the Feds shut down popular filesharing site Megaupload. But they're using an evil new tactic that tricks people into helping their attack if they click an innocuous link.

The Department of Justice, MPAA and Universal Music websites have all been taken down in the past hour as part of Operation Megaupload, which is shaping up to be the biggest Anonymous campaign in months.

Here's one reason they've been able to muster so much firepower: Anonymous members are distributing a link that ropes internet users into an illegal DDoS attack against these websites simply by clicking it. The link is being shared widely on Twitter and in Anonymous chat rooms, often with no context except that it relates to Operation Megaload. I clicked it a few minutes ago because it was being spammed in an Anonymous chatroom and found myself instantly DDoSing Universalmusic.com, my computer rapidly pinging the page with no way to stop except quickly closing the window.

The link is a page on the anonymous web hosting site pastehtml. It link loads a web-based version of the program Anonymous has used for years to DDoS websites: Low Orbit Ion Cannon. (LOIC). When activated, LOIC rapidly reloads a target website, and if enough users point LOIC at a site at once, it can crash from the traffic. Judging from a Twitter search, the link is being shared at a rate of about 4 times a minute, mostly by Spanish-speaking users, for some reason. (Here's a link to the Twitter search, just don't click the PasteHTML link.)

The thing is, DDoSing is a criminal offense that could earn you 10 years in prison, if you do it intentionally. With previous versions of LOIC, participants had to acknowledge this risk and press a button labeled "fire." But now, it appears some enterprising anonymous member has retooled it so that it automatically fires if you click an unassuming link and leave a window open.

This is completely evil and could lead to huge numbers of witless internet users inadvertently attacking, say, the Department of Justice by clicking a random link they stumble across on Twitter. It also renders today's attacks largely meaningless. Anonymous' previous attacks had what political power they had because they were acts of conscious protest; participants knew what they were getting into. This recent round seems to be not much better than a Facebook worm. The safest thing now would be to avoid clicking anything to do with operation megaupload or Anonymous—especially if it's a mysterious Pastehtml link.

http://gawker.com/5877707/the-evil-new-tactic-behind-anonymous-massive-revenge-attack

shazza
19th January 2012, 11:43 PM
THE GREAT INTERNET WARS OF 2012

Heald
20th January 2012, 01:11 AM
Wow I never thought Anonymous could become even worse scum bags but...

http://gawker.com/5877707/the-evil-new-tactic-behind-anonymous-massive-revenge-attack
Not that I support hacktivism, or, indeed, duping unwitting people into clicking links that automatically perform an illegal activity, but the US Justice department shot first. By allowing itself to become the enforcement wing of the American movie and music industries, it is alienating itself from ordinary people who are denied basic justice everyday whilst giving the image that it will only serve and protect those who are rich enough to lobby Congress to get bills passed through the back-door.

Was Megaupload a bastion of illegal file-sharing? Yes, but like Napster before it, shutting it down won't do squat. Megaupload is merely the most high-profile of such sites. Besides, a lot of traffic on these sites is actually legitimate.

The movie and music industries have not changed their businesses models since 1990, and their refusal to adapt to new technologies is the reason why they are losing money, not piracy. They should attack the Internet and throw a huge hissy-fit just because they don't understand how the modern world works.

Roy Karrde
20th January 2012, 10:09 AM
Not that I support hacktivism, or, indeed, duping unwitting people into clicking links that automatically perform an illegal activity, but the US Justice department shot first. By allowing itself to become the enforcement wing of the American movie and music industries, it is alienating itself from ordinary people who are denied basic justice everyday whilst giving the image that it will only serve and protect those who are rich enough to lobby Congress to get bills passed through the back-door.

Was Megaupload a bastion of illegal file-sharing? Yes, but like Napster before it, shutting it down won't do squat. Megaupload is merely the most high-profile of such sites. Besides, a lot of traffic on these sites is actually legitimate.

The movie and music industries have not changed their businesses models since 1990, and their refusal to adapt to new technologies is the reason why they are losing money, not piracy. They should attack the Internet and throw a huge hissy-fit just because they don't understand how the modern world works.

Here is the thing it doesn't matter who shot first, you do not go around and deface and attack other people's property just because you think something wrong happened. As the protest last Wednesday showed, change can be brought about through legal protests. If some one I knew was arrested on charges I thought were wrong, I am not going to go bust out windows of police cars, or bar the doors shut on the local police station. What they did was wrong. Period.

For Megaupload, it doesn't matter how much of their traffic was legal, they were still dealing in illegal materials as well as other charges. Its like the crack dealer saying "Hey 50% of the stuff I sell is legal!" it doesn't matter.

As for the Music Industry, it is still their product, they can throw a hissy fit all they want, it is their products being stolen. I know as a Game Designer if I saw one of the games I had spent years working on being downloaded illegally off the net I would be really pissed as well and want it shut down. Because that is not only a product I spent so much work and time making being stolen, but because by stealing it they are taking royalties away from me and my family.

Lady Vulpix
20th January 2012, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure whether the people who ran MegaUpload were in favor of hosting illegal content or not, so I can't tell whether or not it was right to close it. In any case, I believe everyone should have the right to protest if they don't agree with what has been done, but not this way. Forcing others to unknowingly commit illegal actions is not right, and it's not even a form of protest: it's sabotage.

Edit: this is more like it (https://www.facebook.com/events/136887853095277). I was actually thinking of starting a protest of this form, but I'm glad someone in the USA did it first.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/395650_10150603860611823_642316822_10978356_173386 0796_n.jpg

classy_cat18
20th January 2012, 10:31 AM
I agree. This is only going to make those groups push SOPA and PIPA even more.

EDIT: I'd gladly participate in that. Everybody spread the word!

Telume
20th January 2012, 10:40 AM
The thing with this is that, in MegaUpload's TOS (obviously can't read it now) it clearly stated that, if they caught you uploading copyrighted material, it would be deleted. And as far as I can tell.. they did a pretty decent job upholding that.

Lady Vulpix
20th January 2012, 10:44 AM
In that case, I believe it wasn't right to close it. Nevertheless, tricking people into participating in a DDoS attack was not right either.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
20th January 2012, 10:49 AM
A friend sent me the Black March image on Facebook as well. I'm not 100% sure if my purchase plans suit this, but it's an awesome idea and I could consider joining in. Anyway, I might also translate it into Finnish and forward it to some friends of mine.

classy_cat18
20th January 2012, 10:58 AM
We could at least hold off on buying music for one month. That much would scare them straight.

Roy Karrde
20th January 2012, 11:05 AM
WSJ has a pretty good run down of what Megaupload is charged with

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2012/01/19/were-not-pirates-were-just-providing-shipping-services-to-pirates/

Yeah these guys weren't like Youtube.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
20th January 2012, 11:17 AM
A list of upcoming videogames in March and before would be most helpful to me. Fortunately, the following February will have 29 days, we will have a bit more time for a last-minute purchase/download peak.

Originally from Wikipedia
Q1 January–March
JANUARY
Katawa Shoujo Win, Lin, Mac
NFL Blitz PSN, XBLA
Amy XBLA
Amy PSN
Oil Rush Win, Lin, Mac
Final Fantasy XIII-2 PS3, X360
NeverDead PS3, X360
Soulcalibur V PS3, X360

FEBRUARY
Crusader Kings II Win
The Darkness II PS3, X360, Win
Inversion PS3, X360, Win
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning PS3, X360, Win
Resident Evil Revelations 3DS
Rhythm Heaven Fever Wii
Grand Slam Tennis 2 PS3, X360
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games 3DS
Tales of the Abyss 3DS
Tekken 3D: Prime Edition 3DS
Test Drive: Ferrari Legends PS3, X360
Twisted Metal PS3
UFC Undisputed 3 PS3, X360
Alan Wake's American Nightmare XBLA
Asura's Wrath PS3, X360
FIFA Football PSVita
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D 3DS
Syndicate PS3, X360, Win
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 PSVita
Uncharted: Golden Abyss PSVita
PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond Wii
Binary Domain X360, PS3
SSX PS3, X360

MARCH
Major League Baseball 2K12 PS3, X360, Win, Wii, PS2, PSP, NDS
Mass Effect 3 PS3, X360, Win
MLB 12: The Show PS3, PSVita
Ridge Racer Unbounded PS3, X360, Win
Silent Hill HD Collection PS3, X360
The Sims 3: Showtime Win, Mac
Street Fighter X Tekken PS3, X360, PSVita, Win
Mario Party 9 Wii
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations PS3, X360
Silent Hill: Downpour PS3, X360
Tales of Graces ƒ PS3
Armored Core V PS3, X360
Ninja Gaiden 3 PS3, X360
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City PS3, X360
Kid Icarus: Uprising 3DS
Dragon's Dogma PS3, X360
Silent Hill: Book of Memories‎ PSVita
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 PS3, X360

Lady Vulpix
20th January 2012, 11:20 AM
Mikachu: buy everything you want in February, use it to keep yourself entertained during March. Whatever you want that is released in March will still be there in April.

classy_cat18
20th January 2012, 11:29 AM
...Kid Icarus: Uprising!?

Never had I been so glad about being broke.

EDIT: What about streaming and DVD services? Should we put membership on hold for that month?

Lady Vulpix
20th January 2012, 11:51 AM
I don't know how that works, but if it's pay per month and can be easily put on hold (unlike most services here), then I think that would help.

DivineAll
20th January 2012, 11:53 AM
My shopping for film, books, and music is minimal at best, especially music. I never buy music unless I like the entire soundtrack which is almost never. So, in other words, I'm relatively safe from buying those during March.

Video games, I sorta tend to buy seasonal or used. I buy the best games of the season or look up a used game that I may or may not have played yet. Since the only really good game starting off the spring season, for me, is Kid Icarus: Uprising at it's release is at the near end of the month... I think I can wait until April or better yet it's used to purchase it.

However, I will admit I am a smidge unhappy that birthday is in March and I won't be able to fully indulge my major shopping purchases on my birthday. Maybe I can order what I want this year ahead of time...

ChobiChibi
20th January 2012, 11:53 AM
FFXIII-2 is out on 3rd of Feb in Europe, Mikachu >>

I could do this. Cancelling my Live sub would be a little drastic and irritating since you gotta phone em up and it charges, but the rest I could do.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
20th January 2012, 11:57 AM
FFXIII-2 is out on 3rd of Feb in Europe, Mikachu >>

Hey thanks, I'm forgetting about my own continent, lol.

Lady Vulpix
20th January 2012, 12:00 PM
However, I will admit I am a smidge unhappy that birthday is in March and I won't be able to fully indulge my major shopping purchases on my birthday. Maybe I can order what I want this year ahead of time...My birthday is in March too. I can host a birthday party without having to buy music or videos, and I'm not expecting any as birthday gifts either. Books will be harder, but I'm sure I can manage to go one year without getting a book for my birthday. As for video games, I may buy some in late June, but that'll be long after March.

kurai
20th January 2012, 01:39 PM
megaupload probably deserved to be shut down since their operators were actively inciting infringement (even if they were complying with dmca takedown requests in the end). the seizures and arrests were a year-long process that will actually be played out in court (as opposed to the immediate shutdown that would have been possible under sopa/pipa). the timing seems hilariously vindictive, but whatever.

this plan to just hold out and delay the purchase of Big Media products? nonsense. you still plan on giving them your money! "no! what will we do if a tiny portion of our Q1 earnings are pushed back by a month?" systemic flaws require systemic change. on an individual level, this means a total lifestyle shift. if market-level activity is the only legitimate method of political participation, don't buy things from organizations that you think are doing something wrong. ever.

frankly, i'm a big fan of the implications of Internet War. denial of service in opposition to denial of service. sure, it is also law versus chaos, but at the same time, david versus goliath. a critical failing of the concept of market democracy is the brutal imbalance of power; what do you expect those without market power to do but to fight economic interests with their own (non-economic) capacity? the political arena has been long captured by corporate interests, so that is hardly an option for addressing extant statutory problems. no essential services were harmed - on the economic level, a temporary boycott is the same as a temporary blockade (we can take the addition of government websites as an equally vindictive counter).

copyright law is something which is handed down, even though a good amount of the youth population are now informed about its implications, and will have to deal with the economic consequences once they enter the service/information sector (in which most of them will end up). of course there will be blowback if you repeatedly leave the target population out of all consultation while producing legislation.

ChobiChibi
20th January 2012, 05:29 PM
As someone who works in retail and knows how hard it is when takings are down to get the hours you need, I've thought about this whole proposal in a bit more depth.

Although this idea may show a drastic turn in the economies of countries where a lot of people take part, it'll also really affect the people working in such places. Most people who work in retail only have very small contracts (where I used to work, it was only 4 hours a week, now I'm on 16 which still isn't a lot), so it's easy to cut back hours when the money's not there to pay the wages. And they will. They will go as short staffed as physically possible in order to save money.

I'm lucky in that I don't work in a product-specific store, particularly those affected by this black out. Just think of the people you know working in game, music and book stores before you decide to completely blockade them.

So on second thoughts, maybe I won't partake. I can see what the whole thing is trying to achieve (hence why I said I'd support it earlier), but I don't think it's fair to individuals who have no choice but to work in the retail sector.

Blademaster
20th January 2012, 06:44 PM
So what alternatives are available?

MeLoVeGhOsTs
20th January 2012, 07:49 PM
It strikes me as a knee-jerk, attention-whoring reaction from genius-level people who, sadly, never learned to control their tempers.

˛

Telume
20th January 2012, 07:57 PM
By the way, I got an invite to Black March and I've decided to join in. I'm still gonna listen to music though, just on Youtube but, not buying a single track. (I need some way to keep myself entertained at work.)

Gavin Luper
20th January 2012, 11:02 PM
I'm in for Operation Black March. I love going to the cinema but I can go a month without seeing a new film, especially since there aren't really any films I'm dying to see in March. And I guess I'll just buy my bf's birthday presents in Feb. And if a new album/song comes out in March, I will hold on until April Fool's Day to buy it.

I do have mixed feelings about the Anonymous counterattack. I am glad they achieved what they did, because it sent a powerful message that would otherwise not have been sent, and, I think, really powerfully reinforced the SOPAstrike protests of Google, Wikipedia, Reddit and the others. And it's good to think that they are not pure anarchists but were actually standing up for a point for once - striking back at the shutdown of MegaUpload which I believe was wrong. (Especially given that SOPA =/= law.) So in that regard, I'm glad there was a powerful voice to oppose the frightening Orwellian aspect of the DoJ/people behind SOPA.

On the other hand, I don't like HOW they did it with the sneaky DDoS, nor do I like that they apparently hacked into personal files of some of the people involved in supporting SOPA. That's a violation of privacy and would make those people feel threatened. I don't support that.

In short, I support the outcome and denounce the means, to an extent, although I'm glad those sites were taken down as a counterattack.

With regards to Black March, Becki - would people really be fired after just a couple of weeks of less-than-average sales? I'm genuinely asking, not being a smart-arse. I wouldn't think management would respond to drastically slow sales until after some kind of sales reporting period (eg. end of month/end of quarter), by which time sales would theoretically be back to normal.

Otherwise, does anyone have any other ideas to supplement/replace Black March?

DivineAll
21st January 2012, 12:29 AM
I'd say replace Black March with Black Summer. Summer is usually the best time when the best video games, books, and films are out and boycotting any purchases for those 3 during the entire Summer would show many businesses that SOPA/PIPA is a terrible idea more than Black March.

Now I know almost nothing really big and detailed about economics, but I'm pretty sure the 1st quarter in economic reports worldwide is not the most important quarter. Of course, that's just personal opinion.

Roy Karrde
21st January 2012, 12:44 AM
With regards to Black March, Becki - would people really be fired after just a couple of weeks of less-than-average sales? I'm genuinely asking, not being a smart-arse. I wouldn't think management would respond to drastically slow sales until after some kind of sales reporting period (eg. end of month/end of quarter), by which time sales would theoretically be back to normal.

Don't know about being fired, but if there was a significant impact of sales on a certain store, they would severely cut back the hours. I know at my SEARS the hours are determined week to week, with how many hours a department gets is based on the sales for that week. For example a few weeks ago we ended the Christmas Season, with sales now severely slumping the hours of everyone in the department outside of the cashiers were dropped to 10 hours a week or less.

And while I don't mind sticking in to the Movies and Music industry ( Not the Game industry ), I do wonder if it will work. Those industries will see a boost in April and February for all the sales they lost in March, so in the end they will still get their money. Those this will be hurting are the employees on the stores who get their hours cut back.

And of course it kind of doesn't help broadcasting the idea across the net for the music, video, and game industry to see ^^;;

mistysakura
21st January 2012, 03:11 AM
I'm still undecided about Black March. Usually, I don't participate in boycotts because, like ChobiChibi said, it's the innocent salaried employees who are harmed the most. The executives can live with the loss of revenue. Moreover, it's difficult to measure the impact of a boycott, and to send the message that the boycott is responsible for the loss of revenue. I'm talking about things like boycotting a country's products because of their military/political actions. But I like Black March more than most boycotts, because there is a defined target -- the record and film industries -- and a finite period of time for which the boycott will last, which I had thought would inflict less harm on the industry's small employees (the reasoning being that since the record companies know that the boycott will only last for a month, they won't fire their employees as quickly). Although the one-month duration means that the industries won't actually lose any revenue (they'll make up for what has been lost in March by their gains in February and April), I don't think that this protest is really about hitting the industries in the hip pocket. I think it's more about sending a warning to these industries, demonstrating what the public is capable of doing when their rights are threatened. That said, what ChobiChibi said about a decline in purchasing activity immediately leading to a decline in shifts worked by retail employees is what's holding me back at the moment.

Heald
21st January 2012, 04:29 AM
Here is the thing it doesn't matter who shot first, you do not go around and deface and attack other people's property just because you think something wrong happened.
That's why I said I don't support it, but when legal avenues are exhausted (basically the industries have put their fingers in their ears, screaming that censoring the Internet is a price worth paying to ensure a few less people pirate stuff and continuing to defecate on the basic foundations of democracy by paying the government in order to legislate and enforce laws that no one supports) people are left with no other action but to take less legitimate avenues to vent their discontent.

For Megaupload, it doesn't matter how much of their traffic was legal, they were still dealing in illegal materials as well as other charges. Its like the crack dealer saying "Hey 50% of the stuff I sell is legal!" it doesn't matter.
The drug dealer analogy doesn't work, and personally I don't think you're stupid enough to really believe that it does. This is really no different to many other websites that make their money off content for which they do not have the copyrights nor have they sought the correct copyrights for (Youtube, ebaums, anime streaming websites etc.). Megaupload isn't even the worst offender, it is just the most high profile. This is just like the war on torrents, they went for the Pirate Bay but they lost that war because it was completely impractical and unenforceable to try and shut down every illegal torrent. I'm not saying it's right to let websites earn money off the hard work but paying the US government to make it so you can chase these people off isn't right to. This is why SOPA and PIPA is a big deal: the record and movie industries already have the US government on a leash, as the Megaupload shut down shows. SOPA and PIPA would just formalise the relationship between the two as the record and movie industries as master and the US government as attack dog. Furthermore, it would allow the industries to order the government to attack on command and on a balance of probabilities that favour the industries far more than it does now.

It comes down to a complete lack on the industries' part to adjust their business model for the digital age. On the whole, the video game industry has reacted remarkably well (perhaps because of the greater exposure the industry and their main customer base has to emerging technologies), since, despite a few high profile cock-ups (EA's minimum 3 installs, Ubisoft's always-on DRM, Half-Life 2's online activation) the industry has put in the work for providing a decent range of platforms that offer a much better alternative to pirating. Instead of spending all this money lobbying their US government, maybe the music and movie industries should invest that money into providing better services for their customers and lowering prices, so that people will want to buy product instead of pirate. In the UK, CD prices and movie ticket prices are astronomically expensive, and as a result stores that specialise in selling CDs and movies are going down the pan. The reason people aren't purchasing product isn't because they are pirating it, it is because it is too highly priced. Musicians that have taken themselves away from the record labels and actually marketing their product by themselves seem to do remarkably better as a result as you don't have a label taking most of your profits.

As for the Music Industry, it is still their product, they can throw a hissy fit all they want, it is their products being stolen. I know as a Game Designer if I saw one of the games I had spent years working on being downloaded illegally off the net I would be really pissed as well and want it shut down. Because that is not only a product I spent so much work and time making being stolen, but because by stealing it they are taking royalties away from me and my family.
It's a fact that one pirated download doesn't equal a lost sale, as much as the MPAA would like you to believe. Most people who pirate wouldn't buy the product if pirating wasn't an option. For every critic of the internet, you'll find as many supporters who enjoy the exposure that they gain through people sharing their work. It is noted that piracy can often lead to higher exposure and more sales of a product. To get to a point where people want to pirate your product, you must already be selling enough to gain that exposure. I'm not saying that it's right or ideal, but it's just being realistic. Just like a grocers who has to take into account the occasional smashed box of eggs or smashed bottle of milk, you have to take into account that if you decide to enter an industry where your product can be pirated and you should adapt your business model to reflect that. Realistically, nothing that is sensible or practical without enforcing a China-style internet blockade of everything but approved websites will stop pirating. Those that continue to bitch and whine about it while the rest of the pack does adjust their business models accordingly will be left in the dust.

Roy Karrde
21st January 2012, 10:35 AM
The drug dealer analogy doesn't work, and personally I don't think you're stupid enough to really believe that it does. This is really no different to many other websites that make their money off content for which they do not have the copyrights nor have they sought the correct copyrights for (Youtube, ebaums, anime streaming websites etc.). Megaupload isn't even the worst offender, it is just the most high profile.

Yeah looking at what they are accused of its hard to say that they are the same as any of those websites. From money laundering to actually paying pirates to put up illegal materials they have gone way beyond Youtube and the rest.

It's a fact that one pirated download doesn't equal a lost sale, as much as the MPAA would like you to believe. Most people who pirate wouldn't buy the product if pirating wasn't an option. For every critic of the internet, you'll find as many supporters who enjoy the exposure that they gain through people sharing their work. It is noted that piracy can often lead to higher exposure and more sales of a product. To get to a point where people want to pirate your product, you must already be selling enough to gain that exposure. I'm not saying that it's right or ideal, but it's just being realistic. Just like a grocers who has to take into account the occasional smashed box of eggs or smashed bottle of milk, you have to take into account that if you decide to enter an industry where your product can be pirated and you should adapt your business model to reflect that. Realistically, nothing that is sensible or practical without enforcing a China-style internet blockade of everything but approved websites will stop pirating. Those that continue to bitch and whine about it while the rest of the pack does adjust their business models accordingly will be left in the dust.

I really couldn't care less about the MPAA and music, I am talking about the pirating of video games. In which even if a third of those pirated were to have bought the games, that could mean the difference between a designer receiving a bonus or not. Unlike the music and movie industry, those that make games are not filthy rich, and like it or not it is utterly ignorant to believe that everyone that pirates the game would not have gone out and bought it otherwise.

Heald
21st January 2012, 10:43 AM
Yeah looking at what they are accused of its hard to say that they are the same as any of those websites. From money laundering to actually paying pirates to put up illegal materials they have gone way beyond Youtube and the rest.
I'm going to wait for the outcome of any trial before I make any judgements.

it is utterly ignorant to believe that everyone that pirates the game would not have gone out and bought it otherwise.
Ignorant isn't the right word here, and I never said everyone, just most, which really is the case. Most people who have the money to buy games will buy them, as games are pretty cheap comparatively speaking and the physical, legitimate copy is much better than the pirated copy, meaning its worth paying the dough. Not many people pirate INSTEAD of parting with cash, if someone wants to play a game bad enough, they will buy it. Those who do pirate are do so because they don't feel like parting with the money, and before downloading big files over the internet became viable people avoided purchasing in other ways (ripping CDs, borrowing/lending games, renting etc.). It is completely naive to believe shutting down the big file-sharing websites will provide any kind of boost to video game sales.

Roy Karrde
21st January 2012, 10:47 AM
I'm going to wait for the outcome of any trial before I make any judgements.

Fair enough but until then the argument that they are just like Youtube does not really float.

Ignorant isn't the right word here, and I never said everyone, just most, which really is the case. Most people who have the money to buy games will buy them, as games are pretty cheap comparatively speaking and the physical, legitimate copy is much better than the pirated copy, meaning its worth paying the dough. Not many people pirate INSTEAD of parting with cash, if someone wants to play a game bad enough, they will buy it. Those who do pirate are do so because they don't feel like parting with the money, and before downloading big files over the internet became viable people avoided purchasing in other ways (ripping CDs, borrowing/lending games, renting etc.). It is completely naive to believe shutting down the big file-sharing websites will provide any kind of boost to video game sales.

It probably will, again will everyone buy the game that pirates? No probably not. But even a third, even a tenth that buys it, is money going back to the developers who worked long and hard on it. Not to mention there is a bit of a disrespect factor going in. Again like I said personally if I saw people downloading it, a product I had worked on for years, I would be pissed. As I don't know if you are going to buy it or not, no one is a mind reader in that. But either way by downloading it and not buying it, you are disrespecting all the people who worked on it, and for some, taking money that should rightfully go to them.

Lady Vulpix
21st January 2012, 10:56 AM
The developers work for a salary. Money from sales does not go back to them. However, they do risk being made redundant if the company's sales drop too much, which has happened way too many times.

It won't look good for those companies if they start firing employees as the result of a protest, though.

Heald
21st January 2012, 11:12 AM
It probably will, again will everyone buy the game that pirates? No probably not. But even a third, even a tenth that buys it, is money going back to the developers who worked long and hard on it. Not to mention there is a bit of a disrespect factor going in. Again like I said personally if I saw people downloading it, a product I had worked on for years, I would be pissed. As I don't know if you are going to buy it or not, no one is a mind reader in that. But either way by downloading it and not buying it, you are disrespecting all the people who worked on it, and for some, taking money that should rightfully go to them.
You ignore the factor that piracy helps sales, in that the pirates who download it do, in a lot of cases, either buy the game itself, encourage others to buy the game through word of mouth or will buy sequels or other games made by the publisher. Many games developers recognise this positive effect piracy has, and I imagine any increase in sales brought about by the elimination of piracy will be offset by the sales that piracy generates.

Piracy is good for sales, say Devs (http://www.myce.com/news/is-piracy-ultimately-good-for-game-sales-49203/)

Yes, in an ideal world piracy wouldn't exist, but it does, and developers cannot pretend that there is any practical solution to it, or that it has any significant effect on sales in real terms (at least, significant in that it is worth investing the amount of money they are investing into stopping piracy relative to the amount of actual lost sales). Piracy generates free publicity of the variety that you'd normally need to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to achieve.

classy_cat18
21st January 2012, 11:23 AM
...Speakeasies. Even if we shut down these sites, the pirates will just get smarter with their trafficking. Taking it down is just issuing a challenge to these guys. Pretty soon we'll have a real Internet Mafia on our hands (if the pirates weren't already).

Megaupload was more than just that site; it was Megavideo (where I watched Mononoke) and Megaporn. It was more than just the illegal downloading site that was taken down. Some of it was legal. This will create more backlash than if it was a pure pirating operation.

And my last comment, about people pirating games. Most games are pirated because they are unavailable outside their country. A good bit of games I see available for illegal download are visual novels. As a response, I've heard more and more news of companies licensing and translating these games for legal download. If these guys really want people to stop pirating, they should keep the exports coming. (Talking to you, Japan.) They already have learned of the increasing demand of a good bit of them; otherwise we wouldn't have Xenoblade Chronicles coming to us. If money and low demand is an issue, make them legal downloads.

...Just a few comments of mine. If they're redundant or whatever, feel free to tell me. ^^;;

EDIT: Damn, Heald! You must've posted that while I was still typing it up!

Gavin Luper
21st January 2012, 08:37 PM
...Speakeasies. Even if we shut down these sites, the pirates will just get smarter with their trafficking. Taking it down is just issuing a challenge to these guys. Pretty soon we'll have a real Internet Mafia on our hands (if the pirates weren't already).

Exactly, Shonta. Forceful prohibition of alcohol in America in the 1930s DIDN'T WORK: people still found ways to drink, for better or worse. Same with this. I mean, piracy is already prohibited and I am fine with that status, especially being an artist myself; I certainly don't think piracy is 'good'. But enforcing it with brutal and unnecessary measures won't get rid of it, it will just drive it even further underground. People will keep doing it, especially if a new market has opened up, and they'll just find clever new methods to circumvent the law. The net effect of SOPA/PIPA would be absolutely no reduction in piracy, no increased revenue for studios and labels, and, worst of all, an Orwellian law that allowed censored internet and huge blows to free speech and freedom in general. Not cool.

Bear
23rd January 2012, 12:58 PM
why are people acting like MegaUpload wasn't participating in massive piracy? We all know they were, we're just upset we can't get our crap for free anymore.

Heald
23rd January 2012, 01:04 PM
why are people acting like MegaUpload wasn't participating in massive piracy? We all know they were, we're just upset we can't get our crap for free anymore.
No one is acting like that, what the problem seems to be is that the US government has basically become the MPAA's and RIAA's personal attack dog. It's a poorly timed stunt given that they were, at the time, trying to push through one of the worst and most anti-democratic pieces of legislation in American history.

Zak
23rd January 2012, 04:50 PM
No one is acting like that, what the problem seems to be is that the US government has basically become the MPAA's and RIAA's personal attack dog. It's a poorly timed stunt given that they were, at the time, trying to push through one of the worst and most anti-democratic pieces of legislation in American history.

Apparently this "investigation" of megaupload has been going on for two years, so it's not like they just decided to shut them down now. This also has absolutely nothing to do with the recent SOPA/PIPA development and protests, it's just a coinciding event that would have happened regardless.

Though, I don't understand how it could take a whole two years for them to get a site like that shut down.

But whatever, there are a lot of sites like megaupload out there which I'm sure everyone will flock to now. It's just, a lot of websites that relied on megaupload will just have a lot of links to fix, that's all.

Heald
23rd January 2012, 05:11 PM
Apparently this "investigation" of megaupload has been going on for two years, so it's not like they just decided to shut them down now. This also has absolutely nothing to do with the recent SOPA/PIPA development and protests, it's just a coinciding event that would have happened regardless.
Forgive me for being cynical but I imagine the feds were ready to pull the plug on Megaupload at any time, and I find it hard to believe it was down to just sheer coincidence that they decide to drop the hammer on Megaupload the day after the largest protest against SOPA/PIPA.

Blademaster
24th January 2012, 09:15 PM
So, uh... We still got Rapidshare, at least.

...Right?

firepokemon
24th January 2012, 09:16 PM
It'll only be a matter of time till that is gone. I am saddened for now finding Konjiki no Gash Bell episodes will be way harder :(

MeLoVeGhOsTs
25th January 2012, 03:40 AM
https://plus.google.com/u/0/111314089359991626869/posts/HQJxDRiwAWq

classy_cat18
25th January 2012, 09:46 AM
Oh man. If this was for real then it makes a lot of sense.

Zak
25th January 2012, 04:44 PM
Forgive me for being cynical but I imagine the feds were ready to pull the plug on Megaupload at any time, and I find it hard to believe it was down to just sheer coincidence that they decide to drop the hammer on Megaupload the day after the largest protest against SOPA/PIPA.

You can think that, but as far as I'm concerned it's just as much of a coincidence as two celebrities dying at the same time. And the same as all the other silly 9/11 conspiracy theories concerning completely unrelated events that happened at the same time as it. SOPA/PIPA is not at all the same as the FBI anyway.

On a side note, looking at the article it seemed like Mr. Megaupload lived in some crazy guarded fortress. Hah, never figured it to be that well-endowed, despite how much I made use of it.

technet
26th January 2012, 10:06 AM
Someone told me the owner took a 25years sentence. Is is true ?

ChobiChibi
2nd February 2012, 04:29 PM
On a slightly related note, TV Shack owner faces extradition to US over copyright infringement. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-16544335)

I agree with what he said about Google. It's effectively doing what he did, just on a much larger scale >_>

Mikachu Yukitatsu
11th February 2012, 12:19 AM
I just learned Amnesty is urging EU to reject ACTA now! (http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/eu-urged-reject-international-anti-counterfeiting-pact-2012-02-10) That rocks!