PDA

View Full Version : The State of Internet Reviewing

Cferra
21st January 2012, 08:49 AM
Hey!

My name is Cferra and I...I was a ledian. In hindsight, that was probably the worst pokemon I could have chosen as a screen name. Well, except for what? Goldeen? Yeah, that would have gone over well. Anyway, I'm Cferra and I was Ledian_X a long time ago. Lady Vulpix said I could come back on Skype after we discussed Black March. I decided what the hell and decided to post. After she changed my name. Ledian_X is gone. Sadday, I know. =P

On topic now. As some of you might now, I've been at a site called http://thatguywiththeglasses.com for almost four years now. I've been posting my comic in the blogs and comic reviews, too. I am wondering if any of you ever went there or its network site, http://www.blisteredthumbs.net

I'm not going to advertise them. Don't worry. I AM going to ask if you guys have seen Internet reviews and what you think of them. Many people think the angry reviewing style of people like the AVGN are out of style. You can tell at many places that some people aren't as angry when they review stuff be it comics, anime, video games and movies. Granted, there are a few exceptions. However, no one is really as angry as they used to be.

This seems to bother some fans because people like seeing ranting and raving on camera. They feel the monkey in the video should dance and fling their poop or something. Why? Well, I guess they get a kick out of it. Personally, I try to be calm and collected. I won't review One More Day. That's beating a dead horse.

I wonder if Internet reviewing will change now that SOPA/PIPA have been shelved. I was part of the movement to get those bills denied by the house and the senate. It's how I got back in touch with Lady Vulpix. She posted on Facebook about it. We talked and here I am. I think since the bills have been shelved, internet reviews will be fine. Sites will flourish and hey this board itself will still be around.

For now, I'm not one to go into angry reviewing. I do comic reviews and webcomics. It takes a certain kind of person to rant on camera and have it register with people. However, if anyone ever decides to do a review, you'll need a lot of patience, time and passion to do the work.

So, yeah, answer away. What do you think of reviews on the web be it on Youtube, TGWTG, etc. and where do you think it will go? I personally think it'll go very far. I have friends who are working to make their respective shows bigger and better than ever. Myself included.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
21st January 2012, 09:08 AM
A very warm welcomeback!

As for the topic, I've paid attention to Youtube feedback option for a long time. I myself have had very positive feedback almost exclusively, but it's also true that there is a big diversity of people around. For instance, some try to be smart and use sarcasm, but many people fail to see it and end up embarrassing themselves. And then there's the option to 'like' the video. I myself would like to see 10 smart comments of constructive criticism to my video rather than 500 likes and 500 dislikes.

Lady Vulpix
21st January 2012, 09:25 AM
I myself would like to see 10 smart comments of constructive criticism to my video rather than 500 likes and 500 dislikes.
So would I (emphasis in constructive). I don't check many online reviews though, unless I'm considering whether or not to watch a certain movie or play a certain video game, and maybe those Top 5 worst * once in a while just for a laugh. While I am aware that the latter is not constructive at all, more often than not the people who made those things that have qualified among the worst don't seem to have spent as much as 5 seconds thinking of what they were doing, so they shouldn't take offense. It's not like they have actually put some effort into it.

Cferra
21st January 2012, 09:26 AM
Ahh, Youtube. I've seen comments there. They can be helpful or just plain rude. It happens all over the net. Con crit in my experience goes a lot way. However, when someone says "SHE'S SPEAKING THE WRONG TYPE OF JAPANESE! HE/SHE'S A WEEABOO!" That gets annoying because a. the person more than likely studied Japanese and lived there. and b. you shouldn't assume anything just because she/he knows the language.

So would I (emphasis in constructive). I don't check many online reviews though, unless I'm considering whether or not to watch a certain movie or play a certain video game, and maybe those Top 5 worst * once in a while just for a laugh.

Well, finding a good review is up to you. You got to look at the title and see if it interests you. Perhaps I'll ask what types of reviews you'd like to see.

DivineAll
21st January 2012, 11:31 AM
I've been planning on trying to become an Internet reviewer for a while now since I figure that the best jobs to find on the Internet are to become part of Internet pop culture and whatnot. In fact, one of my, hopefully, main goals after starting an Internet review show is to become a part of TGWTG like a few members before did. However, my plans for a review show are going to be quite different from the standard angry reviewer trend that seems to now exist because of the Nerd and various members of TGWTG and Blistered Thumbs. I might post some beta videos on this site promoting my show in the future, but for now my resources and cash are somewhat limited and I can't start an Internet review show... yet.

Cferra
21st January 2012, 11:42 AM
I've been planning on trying to become an Internet reviewer for a while now since I figure that the best jobs to find on the Internet are to become part of Internet pop culture and whatnot. In fact, one of my, hopefully, main goals after starting an Internet review show is to become a part of TGWTG like a few members before did. However, my plans for a review show are going to be quite different from the standard angry reviewer trend that seems to now exist because of the Nerd and various members of TGWTG and Blistered Thumbs. I might post some beta videos on this site promoting my show in the future, but for now my resources and cash are somewhat limited and I can't start an Internet review show... yet.

Well, as long as you have a passion to do it, you should. Resources can be hard to come by like you said. At first I had a webcam, which I suggest you don't use if you want to become professional. I got a small handhed camera a couple years ago and have been using that. Luckily, there are some free editing software you can use.

I do look forward to seeing you around the blogs, though. But, remember, not many people are angry reviewers now. It's kind of died down. Find your style. Find your niche and you should go far. =D

Telume
21st January 2012, 06:32 PM
By the way, what's your alias on TGWTG.com?

Cferra
21st January 2012, 08:01 PM
It's the same as the one here. Cferra.

Blademaster
22nd January 2012, 05:55 PM
Welcome back!

Cferra
23rd January 2012, 05:39 PM
Thank you, senator. *tips hat*

shazza
23rd January 2012, 08:41 PM
Hello.