PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me this is a joke...

Zak
1st February 2012, 12:15 AM
Yeah this could be fit for misc but ehhhh

http://i.imgur.com/fMKUJ.jpg

When I first saw it, some dude shared it and I figured it was one of those reddit/humor jokes making fun of and mocking feminists or whatever, but apparently initially some girls have been actually passing this off for real as a serious message?

faith in humanity -50 points if people actually think this

i thought about posting this in Misc but took into account the fact that I might offend some people... mm

Gavin Luper
1st February 2012, 01:58 AM
for accuracy's sake, that should actually read: "men become spineless, neutered lapdogs of selfish, controlling girls when ..."

disgusting if people, male or female, actually think like this

i agree, put it in misc :)

Drago
1st February 2012, 02:32 AM
i agree, put it in misc :)
but then i'd have to read it. :(

firepokemon
1st February 2012, 02:55 AM
Bloody vagina lovers. See what you cause. Us bum fuckers or bums being fucked don't have such problems. We just have drama queens.

ChobiChibi
1st February 2012, 05:49 AM
I hate feminism. Most of it is a load of bullshit.

Magmar
1st February 2012, 06:53 AM
Bloody vagina lovers. See what you cause. Us bum fuckers or bums being fucked don't have such problems. We just have drama queens.

Lolz! Amen fp!

I'm actually a feminist but not... that kind of feminist. I'm the type of feminist that watches commercials or sitcoms and thinks of how sexist the behavior would become if the opposite gender were in the same roles. The amusing, academic, lighthearted sort of feminist who still loves his bitches and hoes. <3

Asilynne
1st February 2012, 08:29 AM
Feminism was I guess OK back when it was first needed, but now its largely turned into an 'acceptable' outlet for man-hating and women-against-men sexism. Most of them cry for equality when what they really want is to put men down and get what they want for free with none of the responsibility. Magmar's got it right :) but omg do I hate the feminazi's >.>

Zak
1st February 2012, 09:59 AM
Alright, yeah, hello Misc, just wanted a few replies first.

Lady Vulpix
1st February 2012, 10:20 AM
I can't think of any woman who could possibly take that seriously.

Also, I find it quite unsettling that the same word ("feminism") applies to those who want equal rights and fair treatment, and to those who want to spread hate.

Oslo
1st February 2012, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I've seen that pic going around. It demeans men as much as it demeans women, painting all females as some kind of rom-com cliche. Blech.

I also don't like how I see people going off on how feminism is mostly bullshit or how it largely spreads sexism. The vast majority of the feminist community isn't like that. That kind of behaviour really only belongs to a fringe group of "feminazis" or whatever you want to call them. It's amusing/frustrating how marginal they are yet conversations on the subject will inevitably cycle back to and focus on them...

Lady Vulpix
1st February 2012, 10:39 AM
I think that's the same problem nearly all groups have. The rotten nuts, however marginal, are always the ones who become noticed the most, and give the whole group a bad reputation.

Rossymore
1st February 2012, 10:51 AM
It takes a very stereotypical view on both males and females and is kinda humourous I suppose, but it should not be taken seriously. I don't go out on booze nights anyway!

Heald
1st February 2012, 12:02 PM
Should have read 'Boys become faggots when they'

Jeff
1st February 2012, 02:45 PM
Boys become whipped when they

Zak
1st February 2012, 04:46 PM
I can't think of any woman who could possibly take that seriously.

Some on my facebook/twitter newsfeed sure seem to seriously want people to believe that.

Lady Vulpix
1st February 2012, 05:04 PM
In that case I would watch the kind of people you add to your friends' lists.

Telume
1st February 2012, 05:36 PM
Sounds like Domestic Abuse to me.

Jeff
1st February 2012, 05:48 PM
I could go with it, as long as it went both ways.

Girls would have to kiss us when we tell them to make us a sammich, watch our action movies with us, tolerate our crying over a missed field goal in the AFC Championship Game, etc.

Telume
1st February 2012, 06:02 PM
^ As long as you tell them "sudo make me a sandwich", they will do it.

Gavin Luper
1st February 2012, 06:52 PM
Should have read 'Boys become faggots when they'

As if! Fp said it best - us faggots wouldn't put up with half the self-demeaning, pussy-whipped shit breeders do for their girlfriends.

I could go with it, as long as it went both ways.

Girls would have to kiss us when we tell them to make us a sammich, watch our action movies with us, tolerate our crying over a missed field goal in the AFC Championship Game, etc.

Mm... feel like a sammich now.

Blademaster
1st February 2012, 07:10 PM
breeders

NO. WE ARE NOT FUCKING GOING TO OPEN THAT CAN OF WORMS AGAIN.

DarkestLight
1st February 2012, 07:42 PM
Open this please. Breeders?

Gavin Luper
1st February 2012, 07:50 PM
Open this please. Breeders?

Can open, worms everywhere, sorry Blade!

Faggot - derogatory slang term for homosexuals

Breeder - derogatory slang term for heterosexuals

mattbcl
1st February 2012, 07:55 PM
...wow. I don't precisely agree with the premise phrase, but I also don't like some of the reactions I'm seeing here - particularly since, at some point or another, I've done almost everything on that list in order to show her I care enough to keep trying. I hope I'm not the only one on this forum who thinks that it might POSSIBLY be a demonstration of gentlemanly behavior, instead of a demonstration of absurdity and spinelessness.

But it seems I'm in the minority, at the very least. I'm disappointed. Rather wish I hadn't read this thread.

I'll go find another...

DarkestLight
1st February 2012, 07:56 PM
Oh.

Wow.

New word.

Thank you Gavin Ima hafta go in on all these Bitch-ass breeders now :D

Whoa, before we lose a member here..mattbcl: I don't agree with the comments here either. I read the list, and I do some of these for my girlfriend. I feel the problem here is the fact that women are now finding these (and other "chivalrous rules" )to be automatically known to the male half of the species. It doesn't work that way and there's not a way to ensure they will always be followed. Case in point, some chick hits me, I'm knocking them the fuck out (Granted the hit was of that equivalence. If it was a slap, best believe I'm slapping you back if I didn't deserve it.) >.> I dun play that no-hit-me-shit rule, People have died from that shit.

Going through these....the hang up one is dumb. Calling back means you wanna TALK. Doesn't make you a "man". Makes you human. Hell if we switched the words "boy" and "man" for "girl" and "woman"... hooo shit the fallout would be ridiculous. So don't let the remarks shared here today make you feel disenchanted with how you react and interact with the opposite sex :/

:/ IM from the streets! Can't change me, Brandy! STREETS! (Love that commercial)

firepokemon
1st February 2012, 08:32 PM
Ugh had I known this was going to misc i would have been a bit more polite. I find most of us whether we intend to or not can't help but reinforce gender norms. One of the strangest things I read was a couple that intended for their child to be gender neutral and yet for all I could read the mother had no desire for her boy to seemingly show masculine traits instead she reinforced feminine traits. I suspect she really wanted a girl but ended up with a boy. Very strange.

In regards to the list, some of them aren't bad. But number 3's inclusion is very strange.

Gavin Luper
1st February 2012, 08:54 PM
DL: No worries mate. Also, somehow I missed that second-to-last paragraph where you mentioned inverting the genders on that list - I went and did it to illustrate the point. I agree, there has to be equality and reciprocity in these kinds of matters.

Matt: Please don't think I'm actually bashing heterosexual relationships - that was just joking around in response to Heald. The reality is that people in relationships - male or female, homo or hetero - will of course do some of the things on that list for each other, but it will be reciprocated by both parties to the relationship, which is a healthy concept (although not all the things on the list are healthy - and number 3 is just abusive).

The problem with the list is that it is completely one-sided: boys (who are bad) will redeem themselves and be bestowed with "man" status if they serve women (good) and do the following list of things to serve women.

I don't know if it's more anti-man or anti-women, to be honest: the list presents both in a terrible light and plays off really stereotypical gender ideas for both genders.

To try to illustrate how bullshit it is as opposed to nice and harmless, imagine if the list were inverted for men:

Girls become women when they:

1. Follow you when you storm out
2. Call you back when you hang up
3. Hug you when you punch her
4. Kiss you when you ignore her nagging
5. Watch action films with you
6. Tolerate you screaming at the football
7. Hand you the remote control
8. Pass on a girls’ night out to listen to your drunken ranting
9. Don’t flare up when you don’t listen to them
10. Says “I’m sorry” and tells you she needs you

Message: "Girls only become women when they are subservient to men and discount their own needs and wants."

And, as for the original, the message is: "Boys only become men when they are subservient to women and discount their own needs and wants."

Hence, it's bullshit.

Healthy reciprocity all the way.

Oslo
1st February 2012, 09:05 PM
I agree with Gavin, holder of correct opinions.

mattbcl
1st February 2012, 09:07 PM
I suppose that depends on what your context for #3 is. I don't condone "punching" for either gender, and I don't know how it goes down in other relationships, but my girlfriend and I are known to deliver a good-natured slug to each others' shoulders. It's happened on many an occasion that she'll thwack my shoulder affectionately, just as I'm going in for a hug. I'm not gonna recoil or hit her back.

I realize this is probably not the context the list had in mind. The one that seems implied, and was certainly inferred by most readers here, is the "actual" form of abusive punching, which is not acceptable in any way, and I'll agree with you all there. And I'll agree with you, too, Gavin, on healthy reciprocity - that's the only way a relationship can truly withstand the long haul.

Gavin Luper
1st February 2012, 09:32 PM
Oslo: I swear I just went to hit "like" on your post. Wayyy too much time on facebook. Thanks brother.

Matt: Indeed, I agree. "Playfighting" in a relationship is quite normal I guess, but there's a very clear line between that and violence. Of course, most people will be able to use their common sense to distinguish between the two and typically there won't be actual violence. But if the action is done in anger or during an argument, or if it hurts, then you've got a problem there. Basically, if the person on the receiving end of the play-violence isn't laughing along too, it's not cool.

The message needs to be that "violence is not okay, end of story" instead of the currently-perpetuated "violence against women is not okay" which seems to elliptically append "but violence against men is okay". Again, just comes down to that equality and reciprocity thing.

Zak
1st February 2012, 09:49 PM
...wow. I don't precisely agree with the premise phrase, but I also don't like some of the reactions I'm seeing here - particularly since, at some point or another, I've done almost everything on that list in order to show her I care enough to keep trying. I hope I'm not the only one on this forum who thinks that it might POSSIBLY be a demonstration of gentlemanly behavior, instead of a demonstration of absurdity and spinelessness.

But it seems I'm in the minority, at the very least. I'm disappointed. Rather wish I hadn't read this thread.

I'll go find another...

That's not the point, I'm sure every guy here has gone out on a limb and done at least one or two things from the list, or had a soft spot himself to do one of these regularly.

There's a difference between doing them on your own volition to try to be nice and show you care, and being flat-out expected to do them/doing them in fear of losing her otherwise.

DivineAll
2nd February 2012, 12:47 AM
A hilarious rebuttal/shout out to the link I found on my Twitter followings:
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/508082724.jpg?Expires=1328165928&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=RoB17UbLaXZEFTgoTwkcsKHNj~jNoQbXenzL6PnE 0TpdcenSDgvEW839BJC5pqm4MjdyVGrawXLiy3RGyJT0r9Zxl0 S~7xdtsI5Lo9ZnOL-nbpVg7CyroQF7L9orq1ZOFZbvnH1ouyPPo8lMLbDyNQ1hN9S41 Fadrj6nQ2H0X34_

Zak
2nd February 2012, 12:56 AM
HA! I saw that too, posted by the same guy who shared the original. Thought he made it... oh well.

Heald
2nd February 2012, 01:18 AM
As if! Fp said it best - us faggots wouldn't put up with half the self-demeaning, pussy-whipped shit breeders do for their girlfriends.
I don't call gay people faggots. I call fags faggots. Fags are just general pussies, bitches and assholes of any sexual orientation. Most gays I know are fine upstanding men. Only a small handle are faggots. On the other hand, a lot of hetero men I know can be faggots at times.

Gavin Luper
2nd February 2012, 06:14 AM
I don't call gay people faggots. I call fags faggots. Fags are just general pussies, bitches and assholes of any sexual orientation. Most gays I know are fine upstanding men. Only a small handle are faggots. On the other hand, a lot of hetero men I know can be faggots at times.

I get ya. Makes some kind of sense, actually. I also distinguish between "homosexual" and "gay", believing the latter sometimes has less to do with actual sexual orientation and more to do with a particular pre-packaged type of identity.

ChobiChibi
2nd February 2012, 06:30 AM
I guess sometimes it depends how things are said. If my bf told me to "get in the kitchen and make me a sammich", I'd tell him to fuck off. If he said "would you make me a sandwhich please?", I would defo make him one. I'm the best gf ever, I make him bacon sammiches to get him outta bed >>

EDIT: But this would apply regardless if he was a bloke, I guess. Isn't it just simple manners and politeness?