PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about the weather

Lady Vulpix
2nd February 2012, 12:41 PM
Because it's not always light talk. ¬.¬

Today, we're back to the usual - and highly annoying - hot, humid, sunny summer weather.

Yesterday, we had this:

EGpc0Hze1mQ

Now, I wasn't in that area. I was safe at home, in a quiet outskirts neighbourhood where you could still walk and even cross the street on foot, just not without getting soaked.

Downtown, the traffic was stopped, and even 3 subway lines stopped working because the water had entered some of their stations.

Blademaster
2nd February 2012, 04:53 PM
That guy seriously needs a bigger bucket. :/

firepokemon
2nd February 2012, 05:20 PM
Jesus that is some flooding. I don't remember the last flood we've had here. The weather is cloudy and sligthly cold but quite moderate temperature. On a positive front I haven't felt an aftershock for a few days now which is always pleasant.

Do Argentians feel the Chile earthquakes?

Telume
2nd February 2012, 06:15 PM
We have a pothole in the entrance to our parking lot and we live near a river.

Pretty sure if the weather sucked royally we'd lose a lot of our things. Sucks we're on the first floor.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
2nd February 2012, 10:02 PM
I have never come across floods as far as I remember. In the southern part of my country in spring those are a bigger problem.

This winter kept me waiting, but when it finally came, it came. Now the temperature is -27°C and we have a lot of snow. In the becoming spring, maybe we'll see some floods when all that snow melts.

midnightangel
3rd February 2012, 02:31 AM
It has been a bit warmer than usual-- highs around 80 and sunny. Quite a change from the last two years where it had been cold, rain/sleet with highs in the 40s and lows in the high 20s to low 30s. Not bad for Florida. ;)

I'd rather have it slightly cooler than it is now, then at least it would feel somewhat like winter. Where's that six weeks of cooler weather you promised me you stupid groundhog?!? :P

mattbcl
3rd February 2012, 05:55 AM
Pretty sure the groundhog's prediction this year was that winter would START in six weeks.

Lady Vulpix
3rd February 2012, 11:12 AM
Do Argentineans feel the Chile earthquakes?Usually not. Especially not in Buenos Aires. I have never experienced an earthquake. In the North of the country, there are earthquakes sometimes, but thankfully not nearly as bad as in Chile. One day when my dad was in Salta, he was driving a car and suddenly saw people run out of their houses. He didn't understand what was going on until he stopped the car and realized the earth was shaking. I heard that 2 people died that day, as an old, cracked wall fell on top of them.

And the Southern Andes are still suffering the effects of the ashes from the Chilean volcano. But here in Buenos Aires we only have floods, heat and power outages.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
7th February 2012, 09:23 AM
The day before yesterday: -20°C
Yesterday: -5°C
Today: -20°C

What the heck was it all about on Monday?!?

Becky
8th February 2012, 07:46 PM
Weather in Indiana has been unpredictable. It's been a mild winter- sometimes cold enough for boots, not quite warm enough where I'd want to wear heels- but not bad overall. I love spring and summer best though!

Blademaster
9th February 2012, 11:56 AM
My car has a paint job of snow on it.

It's been 40+ degrees the whole night.

Lady Vulpix
12th February 2012, 04:11 PM
It's still hot and humid, my blood pressure is 80-60 and yet, somehow, I have managed to make some progress on my thesis today. Yay.

Jeff
12th February 2012, 04:26 PM
Today's weather report: brrrrrr

That is all.

Knight of Time
12th February 2012, 04:37 PM
The weather these days has had the occasional snow storms, today I shoveled a fair bit of snow...when it's the right consistency for making a snowman (which of course I don't care for anymore), it's harder to shovel the thicker it is...one thing's for sure, when the shoveling job becomes difficult, shoveling starting from the top, and slowly whittling it down "layer by layer" helps, even if your stamina isn't overly high (it has to be for the tougher shoveling, that's for sure).

ChobiChibi
12th February 2012, 04:40 PM
We had snow on Thursday night that had gone by early evening on Friday. Except for the small patch that is still there under my old car. It still had snow on the windscreen when I looked this morning too. The snow that refuses to melt!

Lady Vulpix
4th April 2012, 08:46 PM
There was a tornado! It started like a hailstorm, and then it all went crazy. Things were flying, a large zinc plaque fell on my garden and then the lights blinked out for a moment, and the awning of my garage was torn, and a large branch fell off the tree in front of the house next door and cut some wires... and we got lucky. Many areas in Buenos Aires and suburbs have lost power, and many streets were blocked by fallen trees. :o I heard on the radio that the speed of the wind was around 100 km/h.

Rossymore
5th April 2012, 10:25 AM
Well, after being really sunny at the weekend, it became really, really cold and wet. It's really weird and I just want to cycle into town to get Mario Kart 7, but it's just too cold.
I could get the bus, but ehhh.

midnightangel
5th April 2012, 12:35 PM
Right now it's way too hot to be allowed in Florida--up into the 90s to be exact. The weekend is bringing more "normal temperatures" for this area, which should make everything feel better. If you can count 80s to be "more normal". *end sarcasm* :P

ChobiChibi
5th April 2012, 02:38 PM
Awww man, that's not fair! My bf just flew to Florida from Louisiana to visit relatives D: Why he no take me?!

First the New Orleans jazz, now the hotness of Florida D:

DarkestLight
5th April 2012, 03:05 PM
All you people using words like " bad", "miserable" and "way too" in context to words like "humid" , "heat" and "hot" need to trade place with me stat. Mild winter up here, some 70 degree days but hell, I miss humidity and 90 degree weather so much. Sick of cold and snow and ick and wind!

Lady Vulpix
5th April 2012, 07:37 PM
Snow? Send some here! We get all the ick and the wind with none of the snow.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
5th April 2012, 11:02 PM
The tornado in Argentina mentioned by Lady Vulpix didn't make it to the news here, but I'm glad to see you're okay anyway.

In my town, the snow I love so much has melted away a lot but if you go away from the center you can still see some.

Magmar
6th April 2012, 11:06 AM
There was a tornado! It started like a hailstorm, and then it all went crazy. Things were flying, a large zinc plaque fell on my garden and then the lights blinked out for a moment, and the awning of my garage was torn, and a large branch fell off the tree in front of the house next door and cut some wires... and we got lucky. Many areas in Buenos Aires and suburbs have lost power, and many streets were blocked by fallen trees. :o I heard on the radio that the speed of the wind was around 100 km/h.

Holy cow!! Not only are tornadoes unusual in autumn, they are also unusual in South America. That is crazy!!

It's been about average here the last couple of weeks, 50s during the day and 30s at night. Before that, we had a solid week with temperatures in the 80s. :P

Strangely, it hasn't properly rained in a few months, and we're now in a moderate drought. It's made cleaning out the garden easier, which it usually is either a.) after a big rain or b.) after no rain at all. But really, all the soil has turned to dusty dirt.

Lady Vulpix
7th April 2012, 10:22 AM
Yes, it was crazy. Now the weather is nice but we're still dealing with the aftermath of the tornado. So far they have found 17 dead bodies under the rubble of multiple things that fell, a 3-story medicine lab crumbled, and many streets on the South and West areas of Buenos Aires are still blocked by fallen trees (I live on the West side, so this does affect me, but at least my friends and family are all alive and well).

Magmar
7th April 2012, 10:45 AM
http://mobile.boston.com/h/3ea-V5T7HkidWnyMl1_Saki__4Tnp-uB7sQ4S3TOVXjbuwRWawG1wyG0E2SYCPY8_zvznrI03oxZM1Qb bo_lMOhoS3DN26uqfbDiKpGggzLlaXV19SjoZJ4rDNmK8QMJN6 zQ_vyKiHN6qN1qMyus2hDGrAvbudEp.cr

I live in the middle of the red:P