PDA

View Full Version : 90's nostalgia

Leafeon
3rd February 2012, 09:32 AM
for those of you who grew up in the 90's and is familiar with a show called captain planet, which ring do you think is the most powerful of all?
personally i think the power of heart is the most powerful of the abilities shown in the cartoon

Asilynne
3rd February 2012, 09:42 AM
I wanted the wind ring the most lol

Knight of Time
3rd February 2012, 09:47 AM
I personally don't have a favourite ring...I like them all, because of what they create when combined...aka Captain Planet.

But pushing that aside for a moment, I happen to have some DVDs of another animated series from the 90's (that actually originated in an earlier decade; CBS picked this animated series up in the 90's)...hint: they're a quartet of non-human superheroes who have a spiky armored arch-enemy who has to often take orders from a brain instead of dishing out the orders himself.

Asilynne
3rd February 2012, 10:57 AM
I used to watch the turtles allll the time ;D

mattbcl
3rd February 2012, 11:38 AM
Well, to answer Leafeon's question, I always favored the ring of fire (which Wheeler ought to have relinquished to Johnny Cash). But in terms of most powerful? Personally, I think either earth or water. Wind and fire can't make those two elements go away. Probably water, in the end, as it can erode the earth and make it untenable.

firepokemon
3rd February 2012, 01:34 PM
Wheeler was kinda bad ass. So was wind. Those two were badass.. O>O But I can't choose though water and earth to me seem more powerful than either fire, wind or heart.

Blademaster
3rd February 2012, 01:42 PM
Why title the thread '90's nostalgia' when it's about only one tiny bit of nostalgia... which I think is from the '80's, anyway?

Just curious.

mattbcl
3rd February 2012, 02:19 PM
Here's some 90's nostalgia, I've been watching Spider-Man: TAS lately and I just passed the episode in which your sig gif appears.

Drago
3rd February 2012, 04:33 PM
Why title the thread '90's nostalgia' when it's about only one tiny bit of nostalgia... which I think is from the '80's, anyway?

Just curious.
1990-1996. :science:

My favourite was earth back in the day, merely because it was wielded by Kwame, and my favorites were always the black guys for some reason. Nowadays if I had the choice, I'd probably go with wind, simply because I figure otherwise I'd mess too much shit up.

DarkestLight
3rd February 2012, 08:47 PM

My favourite was earth back in the day, merely because it was wielded by Kwame, and my favorites were always the black guys for some reason. Nowadays if I had the choice, I'd probably go with wind, simply because I figure otherwise I'd mess too much shit up.

2 THINGS

1) I shoulda said my name was Kwame when I met you so we would have that inside joke on Jess.

2) Racist XD

Blademaster
4th February 2012, 06:02 PM

I stand corrected.

Here's some 90's nostalgia, I've been watching Spider-Man: TAS lately and I just passed the episode in which your sig gif appears.

I watched the episode when I got the sig, myself. I coulda sworn that when I was a kid there was an extra line or two. I remember Spidey saying something like "They'll give anybody a license these days.", but when I watched in a Youtube a few months back, the line was nowhere to be found. :( My memory is failing me in my old age...

Katie
4th February 2012, 11:42 PM
Anything but heart, heart sucked.

At the time I liked fire, but now I think I'd prefer earth because, well, geology. Would have made classes a lot more simple if I could have just willed the rocks into outcropping instead of all that godawful geologic mapping.

Lady Vulpix
5th February 2012, 09:31 AM
The cartoon usually hinted - sometimes not quite subtly - at the power of Heart being the strongest. My favorite planeteer was Gi, but her ring never did anything spectacular. I just liked her personality, and she seemed to be the only one who had any common sense.

shazza
5th February 2012, 09:38 AM
I found each rings power to be of equal worth, for without one ring eliciting its power there would be no Captain Planet.

Does anyone remember Widget the World Watcher?!?!!?

Magmar
5th February 2012, 11:13 AM
EARTH! *danana*
FIYA! *danana*
VIND! WATER!
HEART!
Goooo planet!

Water obviously trumps all. Being able to control water means controlling weather. Make it hail, freezing fog, boiling water, supercooled water, steam... And so on and so forth.

Lady Vulpix
5th February 2012, 12:33 PM
Does anyone remember Widget the World Watcher?!?!!?Yes! I really enjoyed that show. :) I used to wake up half an hour earlier just to watch it.

As for Captain Planet... the lack of character development for the Captain himself always bothered me. The cartoon had his name as its title, yet he only ever showed up for a couple of minutes, fixed everything and then disappeared again. Who was he? What did he do when he was not being summoned? Has anybody else wondered that?

Zak
5th February 2012, 12:37 PM

Just curious.

I actually agree with this. I saw this thread and have a lot of things I could say about 90's nostalgia, but I never watched Captain Planet, or much TV then for that matter. This thread should be retitled "Captain Planet" or "90's TV nostalgia". I mean, never had cable until high school.

Blademaster
5th February 2012, 05:36 PM
Water obviously trumps all. Being able to control water means controlling weather. Make it hail, freezing fog, boiling water, supercooled water, steam... And so on and so forth.

Except for the fact that you need Wind in order to make hail, freezing fog, and supercooled water, as well as Fire to boil water or make steam.

No one element can really be the best since, by themselves, they all have a rock-paper-scissors weakness to something else: Fire consumes Air, Air erodes Earth, Earth absorbs Water, and Water extinguishes Fire.

As for Heart, I maintain the belief that Heart is just an in-Universe term for 'corporate marketing,' since the whole point of the show was to get kids to care about the environment as a whole so when kids started going green it'd make TBS rich because it had taught the young'uns not to abuse the environment unless another jewel-encrusted mansion for Ted Turner needed construction.

shazza
5th February 2012, 06:36 PM
Yes! I really enjoyed that show. :) I used to wake up half an hour earlier just to watch it.

Do you remember the episode where Widget went into Brain's watchworld in contrast to Brain usually appearing from the watch?! That episode always stuck out to me.

As for Captain Planet... the lack of character development for the Captain himself always bothered me. The cartoon had his name as its title, yet he only ever showed up for a couple of minutes, fixed everything and then disappeared again. Who was he? What did he do when he was not being summoned? Has anybody else wondered that?

I have a distorted memory of an episode (I say distorted because either I interpreted the episode wrong or I imagined the whole thing) where the five planeteers could no longer summon Captain Planet, so they decide to head to his apartment, implying he lives a standard life when not saving the world.

The lack of character development is probably because, ultimately, the power is yours.

firepokemon
5th February 2012, 07:03 PM
Enough about the planeteers who were the evil polluters and enviromental destructive villains that we liked?

I liked Dr. Blight and and Verminous Skumm.

And Gaia had to be smoking some weed.

shazza
5th February 2012, 07:11 PM
Of course. She was voiced by Whoopi Goldberg!

Cferra
6th February 2012, 10:55 AM
I remember someone saying that without heart, Captain Planet would be a raging elemental laying waste to cities and everything in his path. Ma-ti is then able to use heart to tame the beast who some would say would be justified in destroying the planet's polluters.

Anyway, I do remember this show and a fair bit of '90s nostalgia. Captain Planet had a great premise. Just poorly executed.

Lady Vulpix
6th February 2012, 04:52 PM
Do you remember the episode where Widget went into Brain's watchworld in contrast to Brain usually appearing from the watch?! That episode always stuck out to me.
Yes, I really liked that one!

I have a distorted memory of an episode (I say distorted because either I interpreted the episode wrong or I imagined the whole thing) where the five planeteers could no longer summon Captain Planet, so they decide to head to his apartment, implying he lives a standard life when not saving the world.

The lack of character development is probably because, ultimately, the power is yours.I never got to see that episode. I wish I had. I saw an episode when they couldn't summon him because the rings had been corrupted, but he was frozen, so that still provided no hints as to what he did with his life most of the time, or whether he even had a life to begin with.

And I also missed listening to the original voices (except in the ending theme, which was in English). All I got to see was the dub which, thankfully, was not nearly as awful as the Pokemon dub. :\ Now I'm wondering what Gaia sounded like.

classy_cat18
6th February 2012, 05:43 PM
In the first half of the 90s I was a naive Power Rangers fan. With a crush on the Green Ranger.

Also, Gargoyles. LOVE Gargoyles.

Blademaster
6th February 2012, 09:01 PM
White Ranger > Green Ranger >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Red Ranger

mattbcl
7th February 2012, 12:22 AM
In the first half of the 90s I was a naive Power Rangers fan. With a crush on the Green Ranger.

I continued to be a Power Rangers fan through my naïveté and now I'm a mature Power Rangers fan. And no crush on the Green Ranger, but he'll always be awesome. Until Lord Zedd. Then that gold shield was a giant bullseye on his chest.

Also, Gargoyles. LOVE Gargoyles.

Brooklyn.

firepokemon
7th February 2012, 03:43 AM
Power Rangers got banned in NZ.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
7th February 2012, 09:16 AM
I think I didn't watch too religiously any superhero series in the 90s. There were Power Rangers on TV also here, and I even remember watching like one episode of Captain Planet, I think it was on VHS in one of my substitute families. Anyhow, children's pop culture didn't overwhelm me until 1997 when I got a chance to start playing videogames on daily basics in a brand new family in Haapavesi.

Instead of superhero series, I watched The Simpsons and Tiny Toons. But there was one series I just couldn't watch.

My head never aches when I watch Pokemon, not even the eppie which gave epileptic seizures.
My head never aches when I play Nintendo 3DS with the full 3D effect.
My head never aches when I listen to Heavy Metal.
My head never aches when I compose my own 'music' with Music Creation For Playstation although it sounds horrible.
My head never aches when I play a game like Final Fantasy XIII-3.
My head never aches when I read TPM.

BUT MY HEAD ACHED SO MUCH WHEN I WAS A KID AND TRIED TO WATCH BIKER MICE FROM MARS. I couldn't stand it but I most likely wanted to watch the series because other children did and waited for another program to start but I don't recall which program.

Lady Vulpix
7th February 2012, 10:53 AM
I could never stand the Power Rangers enough to watch a full episode.

Gargoyles, I did like. Also Tiny Toons.

And I also watched Jem, mainly for the songs even though I didn't like the main character much. And Conan the Barbarian.

Becky
8th February 2012, 07:43 PM
I didn't watch Captain Planet. As a kid, I loved My Little Pony (and I grew up with horses at home so I'm sure that had something to do with it :)! ).

Did anyone have American Girl dolls and books? I was so excited when I came home from my first communion and my parents had bought Molly's collection for me, they had set it up in my room.

Lady Vulpix
9th February 2012, 09:22 AM
Oh, I liked My Little Pony too. :) But that show was made in the 80's, wasn't it?

I could list a lot of shows I used to watch in the 80's, but that wouldn't fit the theme of this thread. Maybe we should make an 80's nostalgia thread?

And no, sorry, I've never heard of American Girl dolls before.